Honda: Odyssey News

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 03:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like the current bodystyle better. Looks a little meaner, but I guess minivans are not supposed to look mean.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:20 PM
The hair says it all

im not going to say they are copying them cause its a slightly generic design but, guys, come out with something fresh
Old 08-27-2004, 08:44 PM
Safety Car

The toyota has a tiny superman badge and the honda has a huge superman badge, neither are great up front though.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by titan
Umph... definitely a winner. It's a shame it's necessary to say this, but Chrysler better be paying close attention. I like the Sienna's console a bit better, but Odyessy's exterior looks better. The only exterior I think looks better than this is the Quest.

Quest is disgusting looking and even recently Nissan's officials have admitted that it was a styling mistake. Quests are not selling as well as Nissan hoped.

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=100661

That gear selector in the new Odyssey looks a bit too close to the steering wheel.
Old 08-28-2004, 12:48 AM
Safety Car

Maybe inside, but not outside. Both the sienna and odyssey are ass as far as front ends.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:48 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Edmunds First Drive
Old 09-01-2004, 09:50 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 09-01-2004, 10:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Very nice!!!!

....for a minivan...
Old 09-01-2004, 11:08 PM

Very nice. RL headlights.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:22 PM
Any Lady Want One??? :-P

Sweet i like it. Honda makes some sweet Mini - Vans
Old 09-02-2004, 08:54 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
I love the Quest exterior ... the interior is over-styled.

The Odyssey is a good looking minivan.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:15 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
The Ody is fucking awesome. I love the damn car and i hate minivans. Hope my friend upgrades his 03EX to an 05 touring....i know hes going to want to...
Old 09-16-2004, 07:22 PM
Safety Car

New odyssey looks better than the competition, but the current odyssey looks better than the new one.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:14 PM
Work safe avatar bish :D

new one looks a hell of a ot better. the head light look a little like the RL's.
seats are kind of weird thought
Old 09-16-2004, 08:22 PM
The Third Ball

old looks sportier on the outside. but the new one is straight up pimp for a minivan.

my friends is JONSING to trade in his 03 for one.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:54 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
the rear end looks good but im still not feelin that chrome around the grill.
Old 09-16-2004, 11:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
The Touring package on that thing makes it so nice it could be renamed the "Acura Iliad"
Old 09-17-2004, 04:38 AM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
The Touring package on that thing makes it so nice it could be renamed the "Acura Iliad"
that would be hilarious.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:54 AM
Suzuka Master

I see the release date is two days away; I wonder if all dealers will have some on the lot then??

I never thought I would do this but we have decided to get a minivan (oh, the horror ). The RX300 doesn't have enough room for everything we need to carry anymore. Add to that the way these minivans are made today the choice is made easier.

That also means the CL will probably be gone within a year or so. Jennifer wants me to have something she really likes and would be fun at the same time. Hrmm, M3 convertible maybe, or a blown 330Ci vert...
Old 09-20-2004, 09:02 AM
Work safe avatar bish :D

Originally Posted by scalbert
I see the release date is two days away; I wonder if all dealers will have some on the lot then??

I never thought I would do this but we have decided to get a minivan (oh, the horror ).

thats when you know you are getting old :walker:
Old 09-20-2004, 11:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Never mind, went by the dealer and they have them in and are available. Drove an EXL and found it to be fine. Nothing exciting nor was I expecting it. Power, delivery and handling were good; better than my RX300 actually. Of course there was storage everywhere.

I also looked at a Touring model with black leather interior which is what we want. Sticker was $35,000 which was more than I expected but not an issue. This did not have Nav or DVD. They said that there is no dealer installed option for the DVD as there was in previous years so it has to come that way. No the question as to whether I get factory or aftermarket DVD.

For comparison I went by the Toyota dealer and looked at the Sienna; I looked at a Limited model. Overall they are very similar in features and ratings. The one noticeable difference is that the Sienna Limited had Xenon lamps, not an option on the Odyssey. While the Odyssey Touring had memory seats; not an option on the Sienna. The Sienna was the same price coming in at just above $35k.

I kind of like the Odyssey better as the ride was more driver oriented and had better power. The interior of the Sienna was more luxurious, while the Odyssey was sportier. As mentioned, it was black but had silver trim. The stereo of the Sienna was better though and sounded very good.

I suspect that the Toyota dealer will come off the price some considering it isn't a new model and also a 2004. How much we'll have to see. But I need at least $3000 to consider it above the Odyssey.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:27 PM
Pro

That also means the CL will probably be gone within a year or so. Jennifer wants me to have something she really likes and would be fun at the same time. Hrmm, M3 convertible maybe, or a blown 330Ci vert...

Oh no, stick around

Get LS2
Old 09-21-2004, 06:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by av6ent
Oh no, stick around

Get LS2
That could very well be an option to sit along side the minivan. Maybe wait a year or so and get the Z06. But then I have to get something sedate for daily driving.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Originally Posted by av6ent
Oh no, stick around

Get LS2
This is how I KNOW I'm heavy into the import scene: the first car I noticed in that picture was the WRX STi in the background. But the C6 is sweet, nonetheless.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Wow, bringing this one back.

My wife and I looked at the '05 Odyssey and she didn't like it that well. The dash didn't appeal to her. This was a Touring model. We wanted the DVD entertainment system which also requires the Nav system; this would have put the price above $38k (and still no Xenon). That was higher than I would have liked to pay for a minivan especially considering that they will not begin to move on the price at all.

We looked at the Sienna which she liked better and they were willing to negotiate. So, we ended up with a Sienna XLE Limited with DVD entertainment system. It stickered for in the mid $37k range but we got them don to the mid $34k range. It has about every option except AWD and Nav. And it does have Xenon lamps which I really wanted after having had them since the late 90's on all vehicles I have owned. The adaptive cruise control takes a bit to get used to as it causes you to slow down sometimes without noticing or other times very abruptly depending on the speed of the vehicle in front of you.

Although it was hard for my wife to make this move it was fine with me as the Lexus never really clicked with me. This Sienna drives as well and actually feels more controlled and seems to pull harder as well. Our vacation last week was made quite a bit easier with this minivan, there is no way we would have been able to bring 1/3 of the stuff we brought in the RX300. Plus, we can now have passengers with the girl's car seats in place. And the doors controls on the FOB, including the rear gate, are great.

No pictures yet but it is not as though they are exciting to look at.

However, this move to the mini has caused another dilemma which will be seen in the Black Market section.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts

My wife and I looked at the '05 Odyssey and she didn't like it that well. The dash didn't appeal to her. This was a Touring model. We wanted the DVD entertainment system which also requires the Nav system; this would have put the price above $38k (and still no Xenon). That was higher than I would have liked to pay for a minivan especially considering that they will not begin to move on the price at all.

We looked at the Sienna which she liked better and they were willing to negotiate. So, we ended up with a Sienna XLE Limited with DVD entertainment system. It stickered for in the mid $37k range but we got them don to the mid $34k range. It has about every option except AWD and Nav. And it does have Xenon lamps which I really wanted after having had them since the late 90's on all vehicles I have owned. The adaptive cruise control takes a bit to get used to as it causes you to slow down sometimes without noticing or other times very abruptly depending on the speed of the vehicle in front of you.
I had a chance to checkout an 05 Ody yesterday. Only the touring model requires Navi purchase with the DVD ES. The DVD ES is avail on regular EX-L models w/o Navi.

But the Sienna XLE is equally nice and still seems to have a bit more features than the new Ody, like Xenons, 17" wheel pkg and AWD. However, the Toyota stealerships around my area still arent willing to beat the Ody's price. They really see the new Ody as just another Honda but see the Sienna as a Lexus with a Toyota badge.

Seeing as my minivan has been in the shop getting the tranny rebuilt, looks like I might be trading up to the Ody in a day or two. (If I could trust the quality in the new Quest 3.5SE, I'd get that but there's really no comparison there. Sorry Nissan.)

Peace.

PS: If I pull the trigger on my tradeup, I'm definitely going to run the Ody @ Etown and see if its capable of 15s.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by F23A4
However, the Toyota stealerships around my area still arent willing to beat the Ody's price. They really see the new Ody as just another Honda but see the Sienna as a Lexus with a Toyota badge.
Interesting and just goes to show how different regions will behave differently. I had two Toyota dealerships competing to get the business.

My take on comparing the two vehicles. The Odyssey seems to be more sporty and the Sienna more luxurious. Now, take those claims with a grain of salt as I am talking about minivans. The front and rear look more aggressive and the silver interior trim give that impression on the Odyssey. Whereas the Sienna, with softer leather, wood trim, etc. aid to that impression.

Option wise they are just too close to call. In fact, this is the first time they are so very comparable. Option per option, they even sticker price nearly the same. What swayed me to the Toyota, which I am not a fan of Toyota and would have preferred to stick with Honda, is the Xenon lamps and the discount they were offering.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:26 AM
The Third Ball

I checked it out breifly over the weekend, not like my friend who spent over and hour inching over this car checking out EVERYTHING.

car looks GREAT in person, front actually looks very mean and sporty. I also sat in the drivers seat real quick....very nice.....gotta love the new elcetro luminescent guages they are using in their cars now. Dash layout is cool, all the goodies like 2 power outlets inthe front and a 110 plug outlet in the back (touring) is cool. Sides windows that go down. easy one touch stow and go rear.

It IS pricey for the touring model at 38K and doesnt have something maybe it should at price like Xenon....but i also think it has a lot of features the toyota does not have.

Either, we'll see if my friend trades up for one.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by sarlacc23
but i also think it has a lot of features the toyota does not have.
About the only options I found which were not available with the Sienna were the adjustable pedals and the lazy susan in the floor and then the most significant IMO; the cylinder deactivation. But the Sienna offered AWD, Xenon lamps and adaptive cruise control.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:02 AM
Moderator Alumnus

I never thought I would do this but we have decided to get a minivan (oh, the horror ). The RX300 doesn't have enough room for everything we need to carry anymore. Add to that the way these minivans are made today the choice is made easier.

So the X3 is out of the question I am guessing since the RX lacks the needed room.

Man, hearing you say the RX does not have enough room scares me to death about the moment kids arrive (if they ever do). I mean, me and the wife get into the RX even loaded and we're thinking, why do we need this vehicle again? There is so much more room left.

That much of a change ah Scal?
Old 10-05-2004, 11:05 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Although it was hard for my wife to make this move it was fine with me as the Lexus never really clicked with me. This Sienna drives as well and actually feels more controlled and seems to pull harder as well. Our vacation last week was made quite a bit easier with this minivan, there is no way we would have been able to bring 1/3 of the stuff we brought in the RX300. Plus, we can now have passengers with the girl's car seats in place. And the doors controls on the FOB, including the rear gate, are great.

No pictures yet but it is not as though they are exciting to look at.

However, this move to the mini has caused another dilemma which will be seen in the Black Market section.

So. From a Lexus to a...Lexus

Pun due to all mags referring to this van as if made by Lexus, it's that good.

Black market. Wow. Modifying it already?
Old 10-05-2004, 11:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by gavriil
So the X3 is out of the question I am guessing since the RX lacks the needed room.

Man, hearing you say the RX does not have enough room scares me to death about the moment kids arrive (if they ever do). I mean, me and the wife get into the RX even loaded and we're thinking, why do we need this vehicle again? There is so much more room left.

That much of a change ah Scal?
Yea, the X3 has been out of the question once we looked at it in person. The doors felt and sounded hollow. But then we ran into the room issue.

Yea, I would have never thought that the RX300 wouldn't have enough room. Granted, it is not the largest SUV but certainly bigger than most cars. But when you add two car seats and normally a stroller or jogger in back, all that room suddenly vanished. It vanishes so much that it is hard to go to shopping without leaving the stroller at home which is not always an option. And forget about having anyone ride around with us.

Now, I can put double the amount of cargo in the Sienna and not even touch the 3rd row of seats. Jennifer can also walk back there and care for the girls if needed. Heck, she was able to lay down and nap in the 3rd row seat on the way back from vacation.

IMO, if it were one child, things would be different. But with two at the same age required much more room.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:27 AM
Suzuka Master

So. From a Lexus to a...Lexus

Pun due to all mags referring to this van as if made by Lexus, it's that good.
I was quite surprised at the build quality and material selection. This is probably about as close to a Toyota being a Lexus as it will come.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Black market. Wow. Modifying it already?
Nope, moving the CL-S.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:38 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Nope, moving the CL-S.
Oh no!
Old 12-03-2007, 10:54 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Thumbs up #1

TOV
Date: December 03, 2007 16:55
Submitted by: Jeff
Source: Automotive News
Credibility Rating: Not Specified

A story in the December 3 issue of Automotive News alerted me to the fact that through October, the Honda Odyssey narrowly (144,718 vs 141,477) secured the #1 sales slot for minivans in the USA. This is the first time the Odyssey has taken the slot, which has been traditionally held by Chrysler's Caravan. With today's release of the November sales figures, the Odyssey has extended the lead slightly with 158,139 units compared to the Caravan's 154,824.

The Caravan was redesigned just this year, and its sales figures are well off (-21%) the pace of 2006. For 2008, the Odyssey has also gone through a very quiet mid-cycle model change, but in a waning market its sales are only off 2.7% compared to 2006.

Automotive News quotes an analyst who predicts that Chrysler will respond aggressively in December in hopes of regaining the top spot.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:48 AM
99 TL, 06 E350

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts
^ Not surprised. There is alot of women in my place with kids. They sometimes talk about mini-vans. The mini-van on top of they're wish list is the Honda.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:39 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
I wonder if Chryslers sales include fleet sales to Rental Car Companies.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
The new Chrysler minivan is quite possibly the ugliest van out there.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
The new Chrysler minivan is quite possibly the ugliest van out there.
their minivans used to look decent, before they "SUV-ized" the styling to the crap that they have out today.

Quick Reply: Honda: Odyssey News