Honda: Odyssey News

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 11:26 AM
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
I really really hope this is just testing of the new odyssey with acura parts..

I mean really acura??

You dont need a entry level coupe?
you dont need a mid size coupe?
you dont need a roadster?
you're taking forever to make the supercar?
you dont make your flagship sh-awd in the base model..?

but you give us a minivan, when the parent company in the same segment already has a minivan? who ever came up with this idea needs to be removed from his/her position and to never enter any car company ever again!!!
Old 11-12-2014, 11:53 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by AlexAcura
I mean really acura??
...but you give us a minivan, when the parent company in the same segment already has a minivan?
platform sharing, sorta like Oldsmobile and Chevy, or Plymouth and Dodge.

I look forward to the new Acura pickup truck with super duper SH-AWD which will sell in tens of units.
The following 2 users liked this post by Will Y.:
civicdrivr (11-12-2014), ttribe (11-12-2014)
Old 11-12-2014, 12:00 PM

Received 5,883 Likes on 2,899 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
It's called moderation. You could learn some in your behavior.

Occam's Razor. It's more likely an Odyssey than an Acura minivan. That's just common sense. If I'm wrong, I'm more than happy to extract the relevant posts and recreate a thread.
Okay, it's certainly more likely that it's an Odyssey, but Honda/Acura have been silent about this even though it's been in the press for over 24 hours and there's a lot of Acura speculation on it.

Plus, the thread was more fun the other way.
Old 11-12-2014, 12:03 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I must say, I'm rather disappointed at the reception this is getting here. I currently own a 2nd gen Odyssey. I've considered the new MDX as a replacement, but it would be too big a hit on usable space. About the only thing competitive in the "luxury" segment would be an Escalade or a Yukon XL and I really don't want or need a truck like that.

The problem with the Odyssey Touring and the like is that it is still just an LX with some extra bits and buttons. While the basic platform and body shell would be the same, starting with an Acura grade interior and all the bells and whistles of the TLX would be a major upgrade on what the Odyssey Touring offers.

So, sign me up, if it comes to pass.
Old 11-12-2014, 12:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
That rear suspension was never meant for any minivan. Again, it's a cobbled together prototype.

Remember the next Odyssey and Pilot will be based upon the current MDX platform. They're attaching new designs and bolting them onto what they have.

The point being, don't read into this too deeply and don't conclude it's going to be an Acura minivan.
Old 11-12-2014, 12:16 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by ultimate_ed
I must say, I'm rather disappointed at the reception this is getting here. I currently own a 2nd gen Odyssey. I've considered the new MDX as a replacement, but it would be too big a hit on usable space. About the only thing competitive in the "luxury" segment would be an Escalade or a Yukon XL and I really don't want or need a truck like that.

The problem with the Odyssey Touring and the like is that it is still just an LX with some extra bits and buttons. While the basic platform and body shell would be the same, starting with an Acura grade interior and all the bells and whistles of the TLX would be a major upgrade on what the Odyssey Touring offers.

So, sign me up, if it comes to pass.
So what you're saying is if Acura puts out a mini van, they're just going to take sales away from the Odyssey
Old 11-12-2014, 12:16 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
how much is a fully loaded Oddy? 45k?

Add another 10k to that... are you willing to pay that much for a Minivan?

There has to be a big price gap so Acura won't be stealing Honda's sales but how is Acura going to justify the the additional premium when the Oddy Elite is already at 45k?
Old 11-12-2014, 12:22 PM
Some dude

Received 347 Likes on 203 Posts
Occam's Razor. It's more likely an Odyssey than an Acura minivan. That's just common sense. If I'm wrong, I'm more than happy to extract the relevant posts and recreate a thread.
Wouldn't all the auto sites reporting on this thing point that out? Seems way too obvious for everyone of them to miss that.
Old 11-12-2014, 12:23 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,827 Likes on 3,849 Posts
Even though sales of minivans are declining, the demand for the fully loaded and decked out vans is still quite strong. In the minivan market, the Odyssey Touring and Elite are more of the volume sellers rather than the lower LX/EX models. For a family, there really is nothing better than a luxury van capable of hauling 7 people and all their shit around while getting good gas mileage and having all the features and amenities they need. Not to mention how kid friendly a van is.

If Acura does do this, and good willing they won't, they'll likely just axe the Oddy elite and replace it with this thing while adding in AWD. I bet it still sells since that's what a lot of people want.
The following users liked this post:
ultimate_ed (11-12-2014)
Old 11-12-2014, 12:29 PM
_

Originally Posted by MeehowsBRZ
Wouldn't all the auto sites reporting on this thing point that out? Seems way too obvious for everyone of them to miss that.
I think the auto sites are just taking what they see in front of them (Acura badge/emblem on steering wheel, Acura beak/grille) and reporting it as is and putting no thought into it. They're likely also just rehashing what other auto sites are reporting.... just going with the flow.

I personally still find it hard to believe that someone was able to convince the higher ups that Acura needs a mini van to compete with all the other nonexistent luxury mini vans.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:34 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by oonowindoo

There has to be a big price gap so Acura won't be stealing Honda's sales but how is Acura going to justify the the additional premium when the Oddy Elite is already at 45k?
Considering that I have been looking at the MDX that easily gets into the upper $50's with less utility, I'd say yes. There's a lot that can be done to improve on the Touring:

Better leather and interior materials
More power and the 9 speed transmission
Remote start
Better driver memory options (seats + mirrors, steering wheel, pedals)
Better sound system
Jewel Eye headlights and other LED based lighting
etc.

Now, would this pirate some sales from the Odyssey Touring? Probably, but it would also probably pull some people who would get a Sienna Limited or a Town and Country as well.

Overall, I think it would be a win for Honda/Acura.
Old 11-12-2014, 12:35 PM
Some dude

Originally Posted by AZuser
I think the auto sites are just taking what they see in front of them (Acura badge/emblem on steering wheel, Acura beak/grille) and reporting it as is and putting no thought into it. They're likely also just rehashing what other auto sites are reporting.... just going with the flow.

I personally still find it hard to believe that someone was able to convince the higher ups that Acura needs a mini van to compete with all the other nonexistent luxury mini vans.

For almost any other brand I would think that... but this is the company that brought us the ZDX. I can't put anything stupid past them.
civicdrivr (11-12-2014)
Old 11-12-2014, 12:51 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
It's called moderation. You could learn some in your behavior.

You shouldn't have done it in the first place.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:00 PM
_

Considering that I have been looking at the MDX that easily gets into the upper $50's with less utility, I'd say yes. There's a lot that can be done to improve on the Touring:

Remote start
Better sound system
etc.
Odyssey already uses 3.5 liter V6. Only way to get a good amount of power would be to combine 3.5 liter V6 with hybrid system like on RLX Sport Hybrid since Honda/Acura doesn't offer anything else. Base RLX Sport Hybrid starts at $60K. Loaded RLX Sporty Hybrid with Advance package is $67K. With all the improvement features you're asking/looking for, I'd imagine that would put an Acura mini van in the $60K-$70K range too or a 34%-56% premium over a $45K Odyssey Elite. I don't see much of a market for this.

I doubt this very much.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:15 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts

Remote start
Better sound system
etc.

Now, would this pirate some sales from the Odyssey Touring? Probably, but it would also probably pull some people who would get a Sienna Limited or a Town and Country as well.

Most minivans are used to haul kids around.
kids and cars dont necessarily get along.

luxury and kids dont get along.

why get an upscale minivan when you can get an upscale CUV.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:25 PM
Team Owner

If Acura can't sell a 60k RLX flagship, you think they could sell a 60k minivan?

SUV and Minivan share similar target group but the buyers' mindset are completely different.

SUV - 2 types of customers. One likes the safety and ride height with or without family. 2nd, family oriented but willing to pay more for SUV because they REFUSE to buy a Minivan.

Minivan - family oriented and space and safety are top priorities. All these handling craps are really not important, SHAWD or not.

It does not matter how good a Minivan is... most of the SUV buyers will really hate to get a Minivan.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:29 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,136 Likes on 4,805 Posts
If this does prove to be an Acura, it'll fail, much like the MB R-Class failed.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,632 Likes on 13,881 Posts

Well, say there is an Acura minivan...I'd pay another $10K for that beak and Type-R-Vtec-yo.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts

There is on our dealer lot with some options for 49,500
Old 11-12-2014, 01:50 PM
Team Owner

if i were to get a Minivan....

nvm

just typing that made me sad...
The following 4 users liked this post by oonowindoo:
civicdrivr (11-12-2014), EL19 (11-18-2014), MeehowsBRZ (11-12-2014), RPhilMan1 (11-13-2014)
Old 11-12-2014, 02:24 PM
Intermediate

It's humorous how little you guys know about minivan owners and what we expect out of our vehicles, especially Odyssey owners.

Thankfully, this idea is getting better traction on our side of the aisle:

Acura to build a minivan???

As for the comment about power, yes, it's the same Honda 3.5 V6, but Acura gets better torque and horsepower out of it running premium (higher compression ratio) and direct injection:

HP
Odyssey - 248 @ 5700 RPM
TLX/MDX- 290 @ 6200 RPM

Torque
Odyssey - 250 @ 4800 RPM
TLX/MDX- 267 @ 4500 RPM

Though, honestly, the TLX's numbers are rather low compared to other premium automaker's similar sized V6 engines - they do look to get better gas mileage.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:26 PM

so, are you hauling around multiple critters?

I mean kids
Old 11-12-2014, 02:33 PM

It's humorous how little you guys know about minivan owners and what we expect out of our vehicles, especially Odyssey owners.
At the risk of sounding like a jerk, I have to ask - So?

<-------[Has three kids. Doesn't have a minivan.]
The following 3 users liked this post by ttribe:
civicdrivr (11-12-2014), justnspace (11-12-2014), MeehowsBRZ (11-12-2014)
Old 11-12-2014, 02:34 PM

so...... ?
Old 11-12-2014, 02:42 PM
Intermediate

Yes, I do have two kids. My point is that many of us aren't simply resigned to having something that handles like a school bus. That's part of the Odyssey's appeal already. Having it with more power and SH-AWD would definitely make me give it serious consideration.

As for why don't I just get an MDX? The MDX has about 40ft^3 of cargo room behind the 2nd row. The Odyssey has almost that much just behind the third row. Folding the third row away gives me over 90ft^3 of space and we use it regularly when we go camping and such. Trying to pull that off with an MDX or another crossover would require too many compromises and strapping stuff down on top of roof racks.

So, I suppose I am guilty of valuing my utility over maximum handling - but an Acura powered minivan would give me much more of the best of both.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:45 PM

Yes, I do have two kids. My point is that many of us aren't simply resigned to having something that handles like a school bus. That's part of the Odyssey's appeal already. Having it with more power and SH-AWD would definitely make me give it serious consideration.

As for why don't I just get an MDX? The MDX has about 40ft^3 of cargo room behind the 2nd row. The Odyssey has almost that much just behind the third row. Folding the third row away gives me over 90ft^3 of space and we use it regularly when we go camping and such. Trying to pull that off with an MDX or another crossover would require too many compromises and strapping stuff down on top of roof racks.

So, I suppose I am guilty of valuing my utility over maximum handling - but an Acura powered minivan would give me much more of the best of both.
You realize that you may very well be a market of 1, right? Acura made this mistake with the ZDX thinking they'd found an under-served niche. That didn't go well.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:51 PM
Some dude

Originally Posted by ttribe
At the risk of sounding like a jerk, I have to ask - So?

<-------[Has three kids. Doesn't have a minivan.]

I never understood why some people think having kids means you automatically need a minivan. Sure, maybe if you're Shaq and your 5 year old is 6' tall, it makes some sense, but for regular folks its just not necessary.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:04 PM
Ex-OEM King

You realize that you may very well be a market of 1, right? Acura made this mistake with the ZDX thinking they'd found an under-served niche. That didn't go well.
It went just fine for BMW. So fine that they introduced an X4 and MB came out with the GLA. The problem was that the Acura was ugly.

There are a lot of people who would want a fully decked out minivan, I think you'd be surprised. Like I said before, the sales of the high end vans far outweigh the sales of the lower end ones. Honda sells just as many Odysseys as they do Pilots. The safety, size, cost, and fuel economy compared to an SUV is what draws people in. Add AWD to one of these and why would one buy an SUV other than to not have to say they have a minivan?

Last edited by SamDoe1; 11-12-2014 at 03:08 PM.
ultimate_ed (11-12-2014)
Old 11-12-2014, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by SamDoe1
It went just fine for BMW. So fine that they introduced an X4 and MB came out with the GLA. The problem was that the Acura was ugly.
No, the problem was not that the ZDX was ugly. The X4 and X6 are terribly ugly as well. The problem for Acura is they didn't (and don't) have the brand cachet to foist such things on their customer base. That problem hasn't gone away for Acura.

There are a lot of people who would want a fully decked out minivan, I think you'd be surprised. Like I said before, the sales of the high end vans far outweigh the sales of the lower end ones. Honda sells just as many Odysseys as they do Pilots.
As has already been pointed out - How much more "decked out" does a minivan get before the $'s don't make sense anymore?
Old 11-12-2014, 03:17 PM
Ex-OEM King

No, the problem was not that the ZDX was ugly. The X4 and X6 are terribly ugly as well. The problem for Acura is they didn't (and don't) have the brand cachet to foist such things on their customer base. That problem hasn't gone away for Acura.

As has already been pointed out - How much more "decked out" does a minivan get before the $'s don't make sense anymore?
I guess I can agree with the comment about Acura vs BMW but you can't tell me that the Acura was far more ugly than the X6.

I'd say as high as it goes for an SUV. You can buy a MB GL for upwards of $80k and that's the size of most minivans while getting much worse fuel economy. A $50k Oddy Elite sells by the thousands no problem. Why? Because it's got everything a family needs and more.

A car is a tool and as a tool, the minivan works perfectly for its application especially in super upscale trim. It's not a necessity as you can certainly get by with even a mid size car but everyone I know who has a van acknowledges the huge upsides to having one even though it's not cool to own one.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:17 PM
_

I think it's fair to say I know plenty about mini van owners. I bought a Sienna for my dad early last year to replace a Nissan Quest to haul the grand kids around in. My uncle has an Odyssey to haul around the grand kids in.

Brother has 2 kids. No mini van because both brother and SiL refuse to own/drive one because.... mini van. SiL got a mini van as a loaner while getting her car repaired this summer. Hated it.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:21 PM
_

I'd say as high as it goes for an SUV. You can buy a MB GL for upwards of $80k and that's the size of most minivans while getting much worse fuel economy.
MB can sell an $80K car because they're MB. They have image and brand value.

Acura can barely sell a $50K-$60K RLX, even after deeply discounting them. Acura would struggle to sell a $60K-$70K mini van in meaningful quantity to justify one
RPhilMan1 (11-13-2014)
Old 11-12-2014, 04:09 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
Could it be a pick up truck? Like the Acura Ridgeline? (luxurious of course LOL)
Old 11-12-2014, 04:12 PM
Team Owner

Acura does not have the Gangsta appeal to pull off an Escalade EXT
Old 11-12-2014, 04:34 PM
Ex-OEM King

MB can sell an $80K car because they're MB. They have image and brand value.

Acura can barely sell a $50K-$60K RLX, even after deeply discounting them. Acura would struggle to sell a $60K-$70K mini van in meaningful quantity to justify one
I completely agree that they cannot sell a minivan that expensive which is why, if this is true, chances are they ax the touring elite and make that an Acura somethingX and offer it at a $45-$50k price point. They already sell plenty of Hondas right there so selling an Acura at the same or similar price wouldn't be a stretch at all. My only question would be, what's the point? Might as well leave it a Honda and add the AWD.
Old 11-12-2014, 04:42 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,136 Likes on 4,805 Posts
that an Acura somethingX
Quick! Someone tradmark the SUX, before Acura does!
Old 11-12-2014, 04:42 PM
Team Owner

The same can be said about Accord V6 touring vs V6 FWD TLX.
Old 11-12-2014, 04:52 PM
_

I completely agree that they cannot sell a minivan that expensive which is why, if this is true, chances are they ax the touring elite and make that an Acura somethingX and offer it at a $45-$50k price point. They already sell plenty of Hondas right there so selling an Acura at the same or similar price wouldn't be a stretch at all. My only question would be, what's the point? Might as well leave it a Honda and add the AWD.
Exactly. What would be the point? It would just be another Honda+ product which is what they don't need if they're serious about distancing themselves from Honda, because a $45K-$50K Acura mini van isn't going to have all this:

Remote start
Better sound system
etc.
unless they're willing to take a big hit on their high margins.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:13 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Odyssey already uses 3.5 liter V6. Only way to get a good amount of power would be to combine 3.5 liter V6 with hybrid system like on RLX Sport Hybrid since Honda/Acura doesn't offer anything else. Base RLX Sport Hybrid starts at $60K. Loaded RLX Sporty Hybrid with Advance package is $67K. With all the improvement features you're asking/looking for, I'd imagine that would put an Acura mini van in the $60K-$70K range too or a 34%-56% premium over a $45K Odyssey Elite. I don't see much of a market for this.

I doubt this very much.
I don't think you need to go with the sport hybrid setup to be more powerful than the Odyssey. The powertrain combo from the TLX would provide an extra 40hp.

The Pilot is from $30k to $42k.
The MDX is from $42k to $57k.

The Odyssey is from $29k to $45k.
I'd imagine if this is indeed an Acura version of the Odyssey, it will be somewhere around $40k to $58k, not $60k-$70k. Is $40-$58k too much for an Acura minivan? I don't know.

With that said, my understanding is that these spy pics are of a FMC Odyssey. But I guess we won't know until later in the future.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:30 PM

I'd say as high as it goes for an SUV.
I disagree, and here's why - For whatever reason, the SUV is perceived as sufficiently "cool" for only one person to drive. Think about how often you see a professionally successful man or woman driving around in an SUV; even if they don't have kids at home. Happens a lot, right? Now, try to imagine that in a mini-van...doesn't work, does it? I can't explain that, it's just the way the market developed, and for that reason you can sell an SUV to a much wider audience at higher levels of luxury and price.

Quick Reply: Honda: Odyssey News