Honda: Fleet news

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 12:37 AM
Honda Fanboy

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Type RC
The next TSX will then ride on the next Civic platform. Before you call me crazy I have a few reasons as to why. Acura already has a vehicle that rides on the Civic platform. Nope I don't mean the discontinued RSX, but the RDX. The RDX is based on the CR-V and the CR-V is based on the Civic. Also the next generation Civic will likely be larger, probably the same size as the current TSX. Thirdly with the next TSX being Civic based this will allow Acura to offer a Coupe version of the TSX. (then again we never saw a coupe version of the TL with the 3rd gens so that point may be moot). My theorized TSX specs are as follows.
Wrong. The RDX was released before the CR-V. The RDX is not based on the CR-V. The CR-V is also no longer riding on the Civic platform.

I guess that theory is out the window.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:45 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Modulo kitted Euro Accord....

now THATS the grill that the TSX should have came with. but that pink Life..... :gheylaugh

Originally Posted by invisiblewar
i see more challengers than TLs on the road, and yes they are the srt versions
come to think of it.... you're right! I've probably seen more new Acuras with the guillotine grills than I have Challengers, but I've seen more SRT-8 Challengers than I have new TLs and new RLs. That's just sad, though I'm not surprised.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Martin
I guess girls can drive at the age of 8 in Japan.
My 16 y/o daughter would go for that.......although she keeps asking me to get her a 1G G35C as her first car.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by VTEC Racer
Wrong. The RDX was released before the CR-V. The RDX is not based on the CR-V. The CR-V is also no longer riding on the Civic platform.

I guess that theory is out the window.
Whether one was released before the other is moot...BOTH the CR-V and RDX ARE based on the same platform, and this platform is derived from the same platform that underpins the Civic.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:26 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by JS + TL
I think I found my next car, pink Life. what a sexy car.
Sweet car to go with my sweet new cell phone!

http://eemobi.cn/mobile/13/1102/8446.aspx#image
Old 01-08-2009, 09:01 AM
Time to Climb

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts
the modulo fit is sweet, all others FAIL
Old 01-08-2009, 09:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Nope...plenty of Acura SLX drivers out there. :wink:
Ah yes, the Isuzu Trooper cloaked in Acura badging.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
Originally Posted by mrdeeno
Whether one was released before the other is moot...BOTH the CR-V and RDX ARE based on the same platform, and this platform is derived from the same platform that underpins the Civic.
Rumors abound that the RDX shares a platform with the Honda CR-V, which in turn started with the Civic platform. But Acura assures us that the RDX's platform is unique, as it can't share with its siblings due to its SH-AWD.
Edmunds

One would assume that the RDX is built on a variant of the Honda CR-V platform, but Acura insists that it is actually underpinned by an "all-new global light truck platform."
Automobile Magazine
Old 01-08-2009, 10:48 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
That sounds more like marketing than factual information. That's like them saying the Ridgeline was riding on a unique platform, when in fact it's a heavily modified global midsize platform. Honda only has 3 platforms, the global compact, the global midsize, and whatever the S2K rides on.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by F23A4
Don't let Honda's marketing spin confuse you, but that's all it is, a marketing spin.

Also, when asked during the unveiling of the RL whether it was based on the same platform as the Accord, Colliver said it was NOT and that it is a "unique" platform. To Acura, taking an existing platform and tweaking it to accept SH-AWD or making it larger or whatever means it's "unique", but in reality it is still based on the same platform.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by phile
That sounds more like marketing than factual information. That's like them saying the Ridgeline was riding on a unique platform, when in fact it's a heavily modified global midsize platform. Honda only has 3 platforms, the global compact, the global midsize, and whatever the S2K rides on.
I think tey have 4...
global small car - fit/jazz
global compact - civic/crv/etc
global midsize - accord/tl/etc
global light truck - oddy/mdx/etc.

and then they have the specialized ones for the NSX and S2000.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think tey have 4...
global small car - fit/jazz
global compact - civic/crv/etc
global midsize - accord/tl/etc
global light truck - oddy/mdx/etc.

and then they have the specialized ones for the NSX and S2000.
Oddysey, MDX, Ridgeline are based off the midsize IIRC.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:45 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
From Jeff at TOV.

We have just received a tip concerning a letter that was allegedly sent to Acura dealers by Jeff Conrad (Vice President of the Acura division) The letter asserts that the rumors concerning the supposed cancellation of development of Acura's future "Tier 1" vehicles is "false". According to our tipster, Conrad states that the NSX is "dead for now, but the other plans are moving forward."

Hopefully this rumor turns out to be the one that's true. (Mr. Conrad, please feel free to drop me a line so we can clear all of this up.)

UPDATE 9:26PM EST: I have now seen a copy of the "letter" (it was actually sent in e-mail form). This rumor is hereby confirmed.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,949 Likes on 14,062 Posts
^ Oh oops...it was posted earlier and I merged that in the Acura Future Model's thread...
Old 01-09-2009, 01:25 AM
Race Director

Received 632 Likes on 508 Posts
Like I said, in these times you can't tell what's true and what's rumor and even if you see it in an official Honda release they could still change it later. Conrad doesn't speak for mother Honda who takes the ultimate decisions.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:30 AM
Honda Fanboy

You should get your facts straight before making claims like this. The CR-V is no longer based on the Civic and the RDX is not based on the CR-V. Neither the CR-V or the RDX is based on the Civic. The platforms are unique. It's not marketing spin. Unless the Civic rides on the global light truck platform now.

I also don't recall Colliver ever claiming the RL was riding on a unique platform. It has always been said that it is riding on the global midsize platform.

Last edited by VTEC Racer; 01-09-2009 at 02:33 AM.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:27 AM
Suzuka Master

I also don't recall Colliver ever claiming the RL was riding on a unique platform. It has always been said that it is riding on the global midsize platform.
It was in the unveiling video at one of the autoshows. A reporter specifically asks if the RL is built on the same platform as the Honda Accord...Colliver responds by saying the RL is not built on the Accord platform, but a "unique" platform.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:13 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by VTEC Racer
You should get your facts straight before making claims like this. The CR-V is no longer based on the Civic and the RDX is not based on the CR-V. Neither the CR-V or the RDX is based on the Civic. The platforms are unique. It's not marketing spin. Unless the Civic rides on the global light truck platform now.
Ok, mr. genius...what platforms does honda currently use?
Old 01-09-2009, 08:34 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
It was in the unveiling video at one of the autoshows. A reporter specifically asks if the RL is built on the same platform as the Honda Accord...Colliver responds by saying the RL is not built on the Accord platform, but a "unique" platform.
Well, this all depends on how you are defining the word "unique". Technically speaking, I believe the RL is based on a stretched and widened version of the Accord's global mid-size platform. That being the case, it is indeed unique, though it is essentially just a stretched version of the existing platform. Same can be said for the CR-V and RDX platforms, which are most likely modified versions of the global compact car platform, but being stretched in different ways would technically make them "unique" as well, despite their origins.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Well, this all depends on how you are defining the word "unique". Technically speaking, I believe the RL is based on a stretched and widened version of the Accord's global mid-size platform. That being the case, it is indeed unique, though it is essentially just a stretched version of the existing platform. Same can be said for the CR-V and RDX platforms, which are most likely modified versions of the global compact car platform, but being stretched in different ways would technically make them "unique" as well, despite their origins.
This is exactly what I'm getting at...it is all marketing spin by Honda when a "unique" platform is essentially the same platform with relatively minor modifications...the RL/TL/TSX/Accord are all based on the SAME platform, but each model required modifications to the platform to accomodate the differences which makes them "unique", but they are still based on the SAME platform.

and as far as i know, the latest gen CR-V is based on the same platform as the RDX, although the RDX came out first.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:52 PM
Pinky all stinky

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
That's why we're saying it's marketing. It is "unique" in the sense that yes it is different, but...how much different? When you get down the bare bones, it's the same platform.

Toyotas have unique platforms - there are FWD platforms, and there are RWD platforms. I have no problem with anyone claiming the Highlander and 4Runner ride on different platforms - because they do. One is FWD based, the other is RWD based.

But a CR-V and an RDX, that's really loose usage of the word "unique".
Old 01-09-2009, 07:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
From Jeff at TOV.
Who to believe? Internal email claims Acura RWD V8 program still alive

by Jeremy Korzeniewski on Jan 9th 2009 at 7:27PM
<!-- sphereit start -->

Earlier this week, Autocar reported that future high-end Acura models had been canceled. As it turns out, those rumors were more than a bit premature, as Jeff Conrad, Vice President of Acura, has informed his dealers via email that the long-awaited "Tier 1" program is moving forward on schedule. It's believed that the program is based around the large rear-wheel drive Acura that would go up against the best Germany has to offer. Also back on the table is a V8 engine to power this range-topping sedan from Honda. But it's not all good news for auto enthusiasts. Still dead, sadly, is the NSX revival. We're also unaware of a planned replacement for the soul-stirring S2000 roadster or a drop-top version of the upcoming CR-Z hatchback. Oh well, you can't win 'em all. Thanks for the tip, Nick!
Old 01-09-2009, 08:09 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tier 1 program moving forward

I was just a few minutes behind your post CrazyAcura

RWD V8 still alive!

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/01/09/w...program-still/
Old 01-09-2009, 08:18 PM
Honda Fanboy

Ok, mr. genius...what platforms does honda currently use?
The RDX rides on the Global Light-Truck platform. When was the last time Dick Colliver said the Civic rides on a truck platform?

The CR-V is no longer based on the Civic either. Just look underneath a Civic and a CR-V and you will see that the cars are different. Heck, don't even look underneath, just look behind the CR-V. The last gen CR-V had suspension arms that were literally dragging on the ground because the car was literally just riding on a lifted Civic platform. Now the suspension is neatly tucked away because it is connected to a platform that was designed more for it's purpose.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 209 Likes on 188 Posts
Same was said at the unvailing of the 2001 CL.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
RWD platform still alive, for the 2015 rigth?
alive not alive, RWD, FWD, V8, V10, could they make an official statement whatever?
Old 01-16-2009, 06:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura V8 sedan dead...

Another confusing twist

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=139966

The all-new V8-powered 4WD Honda Legend, currently under development in Japan (or should we say, previously under development) was expected to do battle in the U.S. with Cadillac, BMW, Mercedes and Lexus. According to our source, that won't happen now.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:34 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
With all the plant shut downs and laying off of employees that Honda is doing lately...you can bet that the V8 RWD program and the NSX are dead.

Stay tuned for +2015
Old 01-17-2009, 01:38 AM
Race Director

One more time, until you see it on the showroom floor, don't believe anything any of the makers say about some model.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Old 01-21-2009, 09:08 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Exclamation Update

American Honda Motor Co. Inc.’s Acura near-luxury brand will launch an all-new model in 2009, a top U.S. Honda official says.

“We’ve got a new product (coming) later this fall dealers don’t (currently) sell,”
John Mendel, executive vice president-Automobile Operations Div. for American Honda, tells media during a recent roundtable interview at the North American International Auto Show here.

Mendel doesn’t divulge what type of vehicle the model is, but John Watts, manager-Acura product planning, told Ward’s last February the brand was studying the introduction of a third cross/utility vehicle geared toward Baby Boomers. A camouflaged CUV, reported to be an Acura, has been photographed several times in the last six months undergoing testing in the U.S. and overseas.

The Acura lineup currently includes two CUVs: the small RDX, introduced in 2006, and the midsize MDX, fully redesigned in 2006.

Mendel no doubt hopes the new product launch will quiet online bloggers, who have been speculating in recent weeks the Acura brand is in dire straits.
“The only thing that was announced was the NSX (supercar) was canceled, and that we delayed the opening of the Yorii plant in (Saitama prefecture,) Japan,” Mendel says.

“So from that have popped up stories that the whole Acura lineup is canceled; Acura is on the ropes; it’s going to be cut; everything’s delayed; everything is gone,” he says of the rumors.

With the sudden, violent collapse of new-car sales last year continuing into 2009, and product and technology delays or cancellations at Acura, the Internet rumor mill has been buzzing with talk of the future viability of the brand, whose sales declined 19.8% in the U.S. in 2008 to 144,504 units, Ward’s data shows.

Once Honda Motor Co. Ltd. CEO Takeo Fukui announced last month the launch of the Acura brand in Japan would be delayed indefinitely and the next-generation NSX with a V-10 engine had been shelved, speculation emerged that other plans to take Acura to luxury status were in jeopardy.
Those efforts included a V-8 engine and an expected-but-not-confirmed rear-wheel-drive platform, both of which would give Acura parity with its luxury competition such as Toyota Motor Corp.’s Lexus brand and BMW AG.

But Mendel says when Fukui in October announced work was under way on Honda’s first production V-8, he never put a timetable on its introduction.
“We’ve built V-8s (for auto-racing applications). We’ve got V-8s. I’ve driven the V-8s,” he says. “We just haven’t yet named a date when we’re going to bring them in (for mass-production).”

Still, Mendel acknowledges the slowdown in auto sales, as well as the resulting need to conserve cash on the part of all auto makers. He says Acura is contemplating a possible delay in launching the next-generation flagship RL sedan to 2012 from mid-2011.

The RL was last all-new in late 2004 as an ’05 model. A mid-cycle change that added Acura’s now-signature “power plenum” grille happened in model-year ’09.

Speculation of trouble at Acura has been so strong that both Mendel and **** Colliver, executive vice president-automobile sales, personally have called nervous dealers to calm their fears.

“**** and I have been on the phone with numerous dealers (and) the dealer council, saying, ‘Separate the fact from the speculation,’” Mendel says.

Acura loyalists, who may be getting weary after failed or delayed promises from the brand, should hang on a little longer.

“To set the record straight on Acura, we’re still dedicated to taking Acura to Tier 1 (luxury status), “
Mendel says. “That hasn’t changed. We have a very robust product plan for the Acura lineup and that continues to be the case. (It is) a broad range of products and powertrains and everything else. So bloggers be damned.”

Mendel is quick to say he doesn’t discount the opinions of some of Acura’s most fervent fans. But after years of threats to leave the brand, they’re still hanging on.

The people who are vowing to abandon Acura now are “the same guys who were going to (Nissan Motor Co. Ltd.’s) Infiniti because we didn’t put a V-6 in the TSX (midsize sedan), and when we dropped the RSX (compact coupe in 2006),” he says.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:14 PM
Pinky all stinky

well now I see why the brand is barely afloat, look at the mentality:

But after years of threats to leave the brand, they’re still hanging on...The people who are vowing to abandon Acura now are “the same guys who were going to (Nissan Motor Co. Ltd.’s) Infiniti because we didn’t put a V-6 in the TSX (midsize sedan), and when we dropped the RSX (compact coupe in 2006),” he says
Old 01-21-2009, 09:31 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
^^ Yah, that seems quite presumptuous of him to think people love Honda so much that they are on auto-buy. He needs to peruse this board alone to see how many peeps have abandoned the "brand". I'm sick of hearing all this talk about brand -- it comes down to good product, period.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:15 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 846 Likes on 526 Posts
He says Acura is contemplating a possible delay in launching the next-generation flagship RL sedan to 2012 from mid-2011.

...hmm....I thought it's 2015?
Old 01-21-2009, 11:20 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
That's great, the profanity filter cuts out Dick Colliver's name.... or should I say **** Colliver
Old 01-21-2009, 11:30 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 846 Likes on 526 Posts
haha, that cracked me up lol.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:44 AM
Race Director

Another CUV - just what Acura needed.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:29 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TSX69
[FONT="Georgia"]. So bloggers be damned.”[/I]
He's talking to you Moog.

The people who are vowing to abandon Acura now are “the same guys who were going to (Nissan Motor Co. Ltd.’s) Infiniti because we didn’t put a V-6 in the TSX (midsize sedan), and when we dropped the RSX (compact coupe in 2006),” he says.
So, he doesn't see a problem with that?
Old 01-22-2009, 07:37 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

And lets face it, the only reason Acura is getting this new CUV is because Honda is getting one. More badge engineering isn't what Acura fans and enthusiasts wanted to see.

But Mendel obviously knows what we want to see.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dom
And lets face it, the only reason Acura is getting this new CUV is because Honda is getting one. More badge engineering isn't what Acura fans and enthusiasts wanted to see.

But Mendel obviously knows what we want to see.
lol, so true and so sad. I hope that the Acura execs finally get a clue one of these days. I'm still hoping that the next RL is all we've dreamed it to be and not more of the same. It really concerns me how cocky the the exec's attitude was though. Hopefully he's not arrogant enough to think that another Accord based RL is "tier one".

Quick Reply: Honda: Fleet news