Honda: Development and Technology News

Old 04-10-2006, 02:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by samkws
even thou J series is getting old, but it's still competitive in HP even with a SOHC VTEC design

3 stage VTEC + dual intake makes the J30 accord competitive at 244hp, with comptech exhaust and a CAI that would be even more impressive, and most of all it's just coming out from a 3L engine, can u ask for more?

the J35 engine is the RL has an impressive 290hp, imagine if the TL has that engine i would be all over, but personally i still prefer a J32 with a more atheletic feel as the engine revs faster

some ppl with 3rd gen can pump out 264whp b4 the supercharger, and that's better than the 306hp lexus IS350 with 257whp, so i think we are still in the race, but the next engine will be far beyond the potential now and i am looking forward to it~
i can't wait for the new dohc ivtec v6s. i bet that if they are real, they will make more power than their competitors with bigger engines. and i have no doubt that haters will cry "it has no torque, like all hondas, wahh"
Old 04-10-2006, 03:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by iNteGraz92
i can't wait for the new dohc ivtec v6s. i bet that if they are real, they will make more power than their competitors with bigger engines. and i have no doubt that haters will cry "it has no torque, like all hondas, wahh"
(aldo, ya cu brush up on som o dat grammar son )
Old 04-10-2006, 03:03 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Could have sworn the thread Title said new HONDA V6/V8 in development.
Old 04-10-2006, 03:03 PM
Burning Brakes

what's wrong with my grammar? i didn't capitalize the first word and used and at the beginning of a sentence?
Old 04-10-2006, 03:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dom

take it to the altima thread where you guys are talking about the same damn thing
Old 04-10-2006, 04:31 PM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
We do have some Nissan guys here...

Why did those guys join AZ anyway?
Old 04-10-2006, 04:58 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by gocubsgo55
320 won't cut it the way Infiniti works.
I posted "OVER 320HP" see #1 . But does it really matter?
This DOHC iVTEC can be tuned to any level from the factory and can be shared between different models.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:02 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by MSZ
We do have some Nissan guys here...

Why did those guys join AZ anyway?
That's cool as many replaced J-series with VQ
And if DOHC iVTEC will see a production along with solid tranny and AWD, many will switch back

Last edited by av6ent; 04-10-2006 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:05 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by dom
Yep, it still one company and while Acura going to further separate from Honda in terms of performance/luxury as being officially announced, new TL and RL according to damn good rumor might see new engine soon.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:07 PM
MSZ
Lola

Originally Posted by av6ent
That's cool as many replaced J-series with VQ
And if DOHC iVTEC will see a production along with solid tranny and AWD, many will switch back
I'm a K-series guy and I'm not switching to the VQ anytime soon...
Old 04-10-2006, 05:09 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by dom

these Nissan guys need to stop threads.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MSZ
I'm a K-series guy and I'm not switching to the VQ anytime soon...
Is your avatar a vic viper?
Old 04-10-2006, 05:15 PM
MSZ
Lola

Originally Posted by mrdeeno
Is your avatar a vic viper?
Yes. From Gradius Deluxe Pack.

Now back to the topic.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:20 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
This is good news. It would've been nice to see the RL debut with a much more potent engine, a 6-speed transmission. But at least they're working on it.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:24 PM
Suzuka Master

if this new v6/v8 proves to be true, then i applaud honda's decision, and it's probably been in development for well over several years now.

for those that say they should've done this 5 years ago, i agree they should've done this 5 years ago, but better late than never, and knowing honda, when they're late to a party (eg SUV party), they come in to get NOTICED.

I'm going to "theorize" that the new v6/v8 rumors are true for argument's sake. as a company, they know they fail when they make compromises (such as the RL, the previous Civic SI, the CL, etc.), and they know they do well when they don't make compromises. I see this when they came out with the MDX, which is arguably the best in its class for what its meant to do, or the TL which is also best in class for what it's meant for, or the current SI, or the Accord, or S2000 or etc. etc. I can name a lot of examples where they limited any compromise in what htey did, and they succeeded. I can also name a lot of examples where they obviously compromised the product and failed. I see this, they see this.

A new v6/v8 will not be a compromised and will be at the technological forefront of the industry. This along with the rumored v10, which I will also theorize to be true, will boost its image beyond any other time in its history.

but then again, that's only if these rumors hold to be true.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:37 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by dom
Heh, I was reading through this thread without noticing the thread title (had other threads open at the same time in FireFox) and I thought I was in one of those Nissan threads because there was so many posts of the VQ engine.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
don't mind the monkeys....
Old 04-10-2006, 07:10 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mrdeeno

for those that say they should've done this 5 years ago, i agree they should've done this 5 years ago, but better late than never, and knowing honda, when they're late to a party (eg SUV party), they come in to get NOTICED.
Honda seems to be late for quite a lot of things in the past years. SI, Pilot, RL Ridgeline, NSX, V8, V10, new V6. Think it gets them noticed for lacking the ability to lead the market. They follow the market watching what everyone releases, then release what they have in an attempt to jump to the top of the pack.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:13 PM
To punish and enslave

DOHC iVTEC V6 sounds good. It's funny how Honda/Acura's S2000 and NSX were praised for the performance but didn't put the RWD setup in any of the other cars.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:27 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by heyitsme
Honda seems to be late for quite a lot of things in the past years. SI, Pilot, RL Ridgeline, NSX, V8, V10, new V6. Think it gets them noticed for lacking the ability to lead the market. They follow the market watching what everyone releases, then release what they have in an attempt to jump to the top of the pack.
They're slow and sometimes it's frustrating to see such a highly regarded company fall to the rear of the pack, but you have to remember that they're smaller than the big boys. For them to pour money for an entry into a burgeoning sector (eg, Pilot, Ridgeline), they must be very sure that the risk of failure is close to none.

Sounds like the philosophy of every would-be inventor out there, really.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:45 PM
Race Director

This is a start, now all that Honda needs to do is also put torque in their engines while getting good fuel economy as well and having that mean stock engine sound that the Nissan/Infiniti cars are making. If they can do that, then Honda and Acura omg will beat Toyota/Lexus and Nissan/Infiniti at their game.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by phile
They're slow and sometimes it's frustrating to see such a highly regarded company fall to the rear of the pack, but you have to remember that they're smaller than the big boys. For them to pour money for an entry into a burgeoning sector (eg, Pilot, Ridgeline), they must be very sure that the risk of failure is close to none.

Sounds like the philosophy of every would-be inventor out there, really.

I agree, if they were to invent something brand new to the sector, then they better be sure of its success before pouring money into R&D for it.

But they seldom invent something entirely new. They are more innovators than inventors.

Every once in awhile a new technology that can be considered an "invention" comes along, such as hybrid powertrains. But besides that, most of their fame is known for innovation, such as vtec and sh-awd.

But this seems to be where they have been falling behind lately. sh-awd, as great as what it is and what it can do, is considered by most people as just another AWD system. Only the few enthusiasts in the "know" give it the credit it deserves, but most other people, including dealers, don't know what makes it special. They just did a poor job marketing it.

I think their problem (hopefully its a "past" problem) is that they are too hesitant on investing R&D into new technologies for them, whether it's new and innovative to the market or not (such as v8's and RWD). Other automakers have taken risks and the risks have paid off...with their track record, there's no reason Honda can't do the same.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
This is a start, now all that Honda needs to do is also put torque in their engines while getting good fuel economy as well and having that mean stock engine sound that the Nissan/Infiniti cars are making. [
It's kinda tough to do that tho... Gotta give up a little torque if you want MPG (and a ULEV rating)...

But, there can be a compromise... let the honda cars be more mpg savy, and the acura cars more sporty...

I bought my CLS as a "compromise" vehicle... I wanted good mpg, decent acceleration, and can accept the fact that it's FWD. Do I wish for more low end torque and rwd sometimes ?? Of course, but I compromised, just like H/A compromises when trying to put out a vehicle that meets it's company goals of being a fuel efficient and sporty...

I think H/A is headed in the right direction, sometimes it takes 'em a little while to figure things out, but from the recent past, they've shown that they are willing to do some things that no one thought they would do... Turbo on the RDX ?? Hmmm... I wonder what else they have planned
Old 04-11-2006, 08:45 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by av6ent
I found the info while not official but seems coming from credible source - the Acura tech who has contacts in the engineering world that gives him inside scoops. BTW, he was one of the first who posted info on upcoming RDX that was in fact going to have a 2.3L Turbo engine.

Honda is working on a new motor to repleace the old J series motor, it will be chain driven vs current timing belt driven, with direct injection and iVTEC DOHC configuration with few diff engine sizes. V8 is in the works for the RL. Next generation TL should have over 320HP from a 3.5L DOHC iVTEC from what my engineering buddies tell me.
So I think Honda's relative inattention to the J-series V6 engines is probably a good sign that something all-new is in fact on the way. The trends and technologies right now are definitely favoring DOHC dual-VVT setups which gives independent control over intake and exhaust cams, and allows you to better optimize emissions control, fuel economy, and power. i-VTEC would be a given by definition, and direct injection vs the current port injection setups would be logical too. Using a DOHC setup allows you to clear out more space in the heads especially directly overhead of the cylinder which can make way for a center mounted spark plug and also center mounted fuel injectors.
Hope they (Honda/Acura) going to create a solid transmission to hold the power. As far as upcoming V6 engine, I like the the direction FINALLY since current belt driven SOHC VTEC is obsolete. And of course V8 is needed for both RL and Ridgeline.
LOL, thanks for jacking my post and not even leaving a link or name credit for either the source (an acura tech) or the analyst (me).

http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...ad.php?t=71356
Old 04-11-2006, 09:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
LOL, thanks for jacking my post and not even leaving a link or name credit for either the source (an acura tech) or the analyst (me).

http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...ad.php?t=71356

sup steve! i'm AV6sedan on V6P
Old 04-11-2006, 09:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
This is a start, now all that Honda needs to do is also put torque in their engines while getting good fuel economy as well and having that mean stock engine sound that the Nissan/Infiniti cars are making.
ew i hope not. i think the exhaust note in the z/g35 is nasty. want something that sounds smooth and low.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by iNteGraz92
ew i hope not. i think the exhaust note in the z/g35 is nasty. want something that sounds smooth and low.
Really? What do you think about the Nissan V8 (FX45, M45)? I love the exhaust note on the G35/Z and the FX45. Of course we all have different tastes.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:39 PM
My bolonga has a 1st name

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
might have already been said; but none of it means a damn thing if they dont get ove rthis FWD thing,

a 320hp fwd TL --- i'd pass...
shawd on the ohter hand
Old 04-11-2006, 09:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by levon1830
Really? What do you think about the Nissan V8 (FX45, M45)? I love the exhaust note on the G35/Z and the FX45. Of course we all have different tastes.
haven't heard the v8 exhaust note yet. yeah i don't like the v6 exhaust note. it sounds like it's gurgling to me.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 97AcuraCL
might have already been said; but none of it means a damn thing if they dont get ove rthis FWD thing,

shawd on the ohter hand
i'm pretty sure the next tl will have sh-awd
Old 04-12-2006, 12:01 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by GreenMonster
Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTSX
This is a start, now all that Honda needs to do is also put torque in their engines while getting good fuel economy as well and having that mean stock engine sound that the Nissan/Infiniti cars are making. [
It's kinda tough to do that tho... Gotta give up a little torque if you want MPG (and a ULEV rating)...
This is a mistruth.

Witness a C5 LS1 6spd Vette which gets 22 mpg overall with 360 lb-ft of torque on tap. An S2000 with 200 lb-ft less torque still only gets 22 mpg overall. Or more recent, a VW GTI with the 2.0T FSI engine. It's conservatively rated at 200hp/207tq and gets 27 mpg combined. A new Civic Si is rated at 197hp/139tq and gets 26 mpg overall. The VW/Audi engine is also a bit cleaner. It makes ULEV II in Cali spec, vs LEV II for the Si.

More torque does not have to mean poorer fuel mileage. Torquier engines can be geared a lot higher, run lower RPMs overall, and have lower friction as a result. Depending on the application and the gearing strategy, you could have a very large and powerful engine still get excellent mileage, like GM LS V8s with 6spd transmissions. Yeah they loaf at just above idle rpms at 60 mph, but the fact is they can pull a gear like that because they have so much torque available. Internal combustion engines operate at peak efficiency at relatively high loads and low RPMs, so engines with good low-end torque characteristics and tall gearing can be extremely efficient. And with modern advanced in engine and control technology like electronic throttle control, the end user does not even need to feel like the engine is bogging since throttle gain can be adjusted and the perception of the driver manipulated.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:04 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by MaximaPower

sup steve! i'm AV6sedan on V6P
Old 04-12-2006, 12:11 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by 97AcuraCL

shawd on the ohter hand
be careful what you wish for....

SH-AWD will probably add a good 200-300 lbs to a TL which is already 3600 lbs, along with a lot more drivetrain loss. Forget about peak horsepower for once. Unless there's a significant increase in torque and overall power area under the curve, a TL with SH-AWD might not be any faster than a FWD, and a 6spd FWD would probably still beat it pretty good. SH-AWD still to date has only been automatic.

A 3.5 DOHC i-VTEC would add a good bit of torque, that's for sure. But I'd wish for that and RWD instead.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:50 PM
I'm a llama :(

I'm sure they're working on makeing the SH-AWD lighter. But it's not all about straight line speed, AWD will make it handle a lot better.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:40 PM
Safety Car

If they have any sense they would spend the money developing a rwd platform instead of spending the money trying to develop a diet that will help pigs lose weight.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:50 PM
I'm a llama :(

Originally Posted by heyitsme
If they have any sense they would spend the money developing a rwd platform instead of spending the money trying to develop a diet that will help pigs lose weight.

c'mon, it's Honda. You think they will take the easy way out?
Old 04-13-2006, 01:31 AM
Banned

Why worry about what Nissan does? If and when Honda chooses, Honda has the ability to pump out more HP per liter than any other car company in the world, including Ferrari, BMW, and Porsche. All Honda has to do is snap a finger and they will rule that segment of the horsepower wars.

The bottom line is if Honda chooses to enter into the HP wars, they will absolutely win. But of course, Honda tends to wait til the last second, so the question is when will they move forward.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by titan
You're not hearing me. The engine I'm talking about is a NEW engine. It's supposed to be called FX. It's supposed to be 3.7L, and will make around the rumored 320HP. The VQ is an awesome, damn near bulletproof engine that is supposed to continue to do duty in all Nissan branded products. As far as refinement, I haven't heard any complaints about the 3.5L VQ... that said, that isn't just the VQ with .2L more added to it.
You haven't heard or read ANY of the complaints? Hmm.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by samkws
even thou J series is getting old, but it's still competitive in HP even with a SOHC VTEC design

3 stage VTEC + dual intake makes the J30 accord competitive at 244hp, with comptech exhaust and a CAI that would be even more impressive, and most of all it's just coming out from a 3L engine, can u ask for more?

the J35 engine is the RL has an impressive 290hp, imagine if the TL has that engine i would be all over, but personally i still prefer a J32 with a more atheletic feel as the engine revs faster

some ppl with 3rd gen can pump out 264whp b4 the supercharger, and that's better than the 306hp lexus IS350 with 257whp, so i think we are still in the race, but the next engine will be far beyond the potential now and i am looking forward to it~
Why would you want that engine when Honda could easily go beyond 300 HP with their 3.2 liter V6 if they chose to? My point here is the same as it's always been: for any given displacement, Honda can put out more HP than any other company in the world, including Ferrari. This is a FACT and is indisputable.

The only real issue is that Infiniti would simply increase displacement faster than Honda would. Regardless, for any given displacement, Honda engines (whether 4 or 6 cylinders or 8 for that matter) will be more sophisticated and more refined than any other competitors' engines at that displacement.
Old 04-13-2006, 03:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Maximized
I was referencing a comparison of the 3.0VQ vs. 3.5VQ. As for increasing compression ratio, it's effective but you also are risking the chance of detonation. The ECU must be be very sensitive to knock. Direct injection is another technology that will increase power as well, but at an added cost. Infiniti builds a great car, rather they should focus their energy into interior refinement. That's the one area where Infiniti is lacking.
Although that is the most VISIBLE area where Infiniti is lacking, another even more critical one is the mating of platform to suspension. This is the area where Le Cost Cutter Ghosn saved most of the money from minimizing R&D. He cleverly advertised the results as "sportier ride." Instead, magazines translated that as a sort of "rough ride" that is independent of sporty. What mags? Are you kidding? Almost EVERY major mag out there. A common comment is a kind of roughness to the ride that indicates that Nissan put the car on the market before the R&D was finished. Yes, this was a very very very common remark across a ton of mags for a bunch of Nissans/Infinitis, including the Altima, Maxima, Murano, Titan, FX, Q, and yes EVEN THE NEW M (however, only 1 major mag mentioned this for the new M; most were simply focused on its HP). (Note that Mazda's chassis are every bit as sporty, better balanced, and without the negatives observed in ALMOST EVERY GHOSN ERA CAR). In addition, the Altima and Maxima were singled out by many major mags for the observation that, while cornering at speed, it seemed as if the car wanted to continue going forward for a split second before finally following the tires around the corner. They go on to conclude that the platform is not mated to the suspension correctly as if Nissan put the car out onto the market before R&D was finished.

I refused to buy the G35 coupe partly because the interior looks like it's from the late 80's but mostly because I couldn't take a chance on whatever shortcut Nissan may have taken with chassis engineering, R&D, and tuning.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Honda: Development and Technology News