Honda: Development and Technology News

Old 10-02-2017, 01:27 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
idunno about y'all, but I want a Honda Beat, so bad.
Old 10-02-2017, 02:19 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
How about S660?
Old 10-02-2017, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by iforyou
How about S660?
ideally, Sure!!
realistically, for about $5-7k(and however much importing them cost), I could grab a Beat!
Old 10-03-2017, 12:07 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

There's rumour that Honda might bring over a bigger and more powerful version of the S660, called S1000. But for sure that's gonna be more $$ than importing an old Beat! I don't know if I will enjoy driving right-hand drive cars. Turning left and shifting with my left hand might be too awkward for me...
Old 10-03-2017, 12:10 PM

Received 5,289 Likes on 3,623 Posts
^ RHD isn't as hard to adapt to as it sounds.
I had an EK SiR for a weekend years ago. Not bad on the highway, a bit tougher on 2-lane roads, since you can't see around the car in front of you as well.

When I got back into my EK Civic EX, I kept hitting the door reaching for the shifter that wasn't there, and getting the blinker/wiper stalks backward.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:42 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
^ RHD isn't as hard to adapt to as it sounds.
I had an EK SiR for a weekend years ago. Not bad on the highway, a bit tougher on 2-lane roads, since you can't see around the car in front of you as well.

When I got back into my EK Civic EX, I kept hitting the door reaching for the shifter that wasn't there, and getting the blinker/wiper stalks backward.
I've never done RHD manual, but RHD was only annoying when you wanted to use the turn signal and the damn windshield wipers activate.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:28 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Arrow AutoNews

http://www.autonews.com/article/2017...ent-production
Why Honda is spending on shrinking segment

October 9, 2017 @ 12:01 am
Honda's investment includes upgraded assembly technologies in Marysville, Ohio.Send us a Letter
Have an opinion about this story? Click here to submit a Letter to the Editor, and we may publish it in print.

On its face, the announcement was a head-scratcher.

Honda, an automaker known for its conservative approach to expanding production globally, revealed in September that it was adding 300 new jobs in Ohio and pumping $267 million into production of the 2018 Accord midsize sedan.

That's a bold move considering the headwinds the 10th-generation Accord — and all midsize sedans of its ilk — are facing.

For the 1st 9 months of 2017, the segment has contracted 15 percent vs. the same period a year earlier, to 1.4 million vehicles. Every model in the category has seen a sales decline in 2017, most by double digits. In 2016, segment sales dropped 12 percent overall.

Of course, sedan sales have been slipping for years, and it's not something that's expected to stop: IHS Markit forecasts the segment will account for 1.8 million sales in 2020 and 1.72 in 2025.

"I'm not sure that the sedan segment in the U.S. will ever be as large as it was 10 years ago," said Mike Ramsey, a research director at Gartner. "Even if we settle out at 16 million [SAAR], the percentage going to sedans is likely to keep flat or decline."

While that may make Honda's $267 million investment seem out of step, alas, the devil is in the details.

Honda's investment is less a story about expanding its capacity for building Accords and more about facility and technology upgrades that were necessary for the new model.

A bulk of that investment was for the company's Marysville, Ohio, plant where the Accord and Acura TLX and ILX are built.

The welding department, new from the ground up, features 342 new robots and accounted for $165 million of the total investment. This brings to the Accord a construction technique called Inner Frame that saves weight and boosts chassis stiffness.

Honda uses a new laser brazing process on the 2018 Accord to join the roof to the body side panels (eliminating that black plastic garnish many sedans use to cover the rain channels).

Since the coupe body style was dropped for this 10th-generation Accord, Honda had to expand its rear door-line capabilities.

Finally, the investment involved bringing in-house 2 elements previously built elsewhere: the subassembly of the cars' front-end modules and battery boxes for a soon-to-launch hybrid model.

Of the 300 new jobs, 200 are headed to the Marysville plant where they'll largely facilitate the new assembly technologies rather than simply build more Accords.

Despite the upgrades, the capacity of the Marysville plant remains at 440,000 vehicles. Last year it built 436,846. Production this year has been considerably slower — 281,206 vehicles built year-to-date, according to Honda.

Meanwhile, $47 million of the $267 million went to Honda's Anna, Ohio, engine plant. It's Honda largest engine plant in the world, and it's where the company builds 1.5-liter and 2.0-liter turbocharged 4-cylinder engines. The remaining 100 new jobs announced last month land in Anna.

So, what happens if the sedan segment drives off a cliff and takes the Accord with it? Will these upgrades be for naught?

Mostly no, says Steve Rodriguez, manufacturing manager for the Accord.

Honda uses the Inner Frame construction method on the Civic and the CR-V — 2 models that use the same chassis architecture as the Accord.

"Flexibility is kind of a hallmark — it's our responsibility to make sure going forward that we are flexible to be able to move models" to different assembly lines, Rodriguez said. "Without looking into a crystal ball, we're always trying to get more flexible so when changes come, we're in a better position for them."

The engines built at Anna are quickly becoming ubiquitous throughout Honda — and soon Acura's lineup.

Nevertheless, some of Honda's investment is Accord-only, including such elements as the new roof-brazing process and the rear-door process, Rodriguez said.

Despite the headwinds for the segment, Honda is feeling good about the Accord's sales prospects.

"I don't expect to sell fewer Accords in 2018 with this great new product," Ray Mikiciuk, assistant vice president for sales, told reporters during a conference call about the $267 million investment.

Even as the segment declines, leaders such as the Accord and Toyota Camry could be well-positioned to lap up leftovers when rival brands ultimately leave the segment altogether to focus on higher-margin trucks and CUVs.

"Maybe they figure, 'Well, the segment will get smaller and we'll take a bigger share of it,'" Ramsey said. "Honda has been successful with that in the past."

You can reach David Undercoffler at undercoffler@crain.com -- Follow David on Twitter: @autonews_west

Old 10-10-2017, 06:36 AM

we always knew they were part bin masters. "What's this empty slot for?"
Old 10-25-2017, 11:16 AM

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/tok...re-proof-s2000

Electric Urban EV concept gets an ace two-seater sports car sibling

Remember the Honda Urban EV concept from the Frankfurt show? Of course you do, it rocked our world with its perfect stance and minimalist look riddled with hints of mk1 Civic, 205 GTI and VW Golf mk1. It gave us faith that when electric hatchbacks take over, old-school style might still be an option.

Now Honda has gone one step further and revealed the Sports EV concept at the Tokyo show. Using the same gorgeous aesthetic, it shows what a two-seater sports car – dare we say a spiritual successor to the rev-hungry S2000 – might look like. And while it won’t be able to deliver 9,000rpm manual upshifts, it’s still got plenty going for it.

It’s pure electric, in case it hadn’t clicked yet, and based on the new dedicated EV platform that will underpin a production version of the Urban EV concept in 2020. We suspect if it does make production we’ll have to wait a little longer for this one. So 2021, at least.

Like the Urban EV, there’s no word on power or performance, but don’t expect anything ballistic; that’s the NSX’s job, after all. The Sports EV is about “a feeling of joy and emotional unity to the drive,” says Honda. Whatever that means. Fun, hopefully.

As for the styling, Honda describes it as having “a striking silhouette, friendly face and supple body surfaces, all designed to ensure the car blends into any lifestyle.” Intentionally non-aggressive then, but like the Urban EV we are seeing strong hints of classic sports car in the shape.

You may be seeing flashes of the Toyota 2000GT from Bond’s 1967 escapade You Only Live Twice?Us too. Although Bond’s car was a specially commissioned convertible (one of only a handful in existence) the long arching bonnet and large circular lights are a dead ringer for the 2000GT Coupe.

No doubt Honda will tell us it’s actually a reincarnation of something from their archive, but either way, it looks fantastic and we implore them to put it into production immediately.

So, guys and girls, where do you think Honda got its inspiration for this one? And would a sports car like this make you turn electric?
Old 10-25-2017, 11:17 AM

Old 10-25-2017, 11:19 AM

I like the text idea!
it's a better idea than I think what Ford is implementing...a light system.
I think text would be better able to convey what an autonomous car will be doing
Old 10-25-2017, 11:30 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
I love the one on the right, it reminds me of a Peugeot 205 GTI EV.
The following users liked this post:
RPhilMan1 (10-26-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 12:08 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

When I first saw the pictures of the Sports EV concept, it looked kinda odd. But these close up shots are a lot better.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:02 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
I like the idea of having the ability to "write" stuff in the front. So i can tell the Prius to get the fuck out of my way.... too bad probably can't do that in this particular car.
The following users liked this post:
RPhilMan1 (10-26-2017)
Old 01-31-2018, 11:51 AM
Race Director

Received 623 Likes on 502 Posts
Honda plans to revive the Passport badge for a new crossover to be slotted between the CR-V and Pilot, according to people familiar with the plans.

The two-row crossover is expected to be about 6 inches shorter than the Pilot and compete with the Ford Edge, Hyundai Santa Fe Sport and Nissan Murano in the U.S. midsize crossover segment. Chevrolet is also set to field a new similar-sized crossover under the revived Blazer name.

One person, citing conversations with dealers, said the new Passport will be shown at a Honda dealer meeting in November and go on sale in early 2019. It is also expected to be shown in November at the Los Angeles Auto Show.

"We have not confirmed any details related to this product so any specifics would be quite speculative at this point," a Honda spokesman said Tuesday.

The original Passport, a derivative of the Isuzu Rodeo, was Honda's first SUV and was sold from the 1994 through 2002 model years.

Gallery: 2002 Honda Passport

The new Passport is expected to be based on the Pilot platform and likely will be built in Lincoln, Ala., where Honda assembles the Pilot, Odyssey minivan and Ridgeline pickup.

Dealers have pressed Honda management for a near-premium crossover to rival the Edge and Murano.

The Passport will give the Honda brand a fourth crossover in a U.S. market that has shifted considerably to utility vehicles and pickups.

In 2017, U.S. sales of the Honda HR-V, CR-V and Pilot crossovers all grew more than 5 percent from the previous year in an overall light-vehicle market that shrank 1.8 percent, ending a streak of seven annual gains capped by record volume of 17.55 million in 2016.

Read more: Honda is bringing back the Passport name for a new midsize crossover | Autoweek
Old 01-31-2018, 03:56 PM

Hopefully it has better suspension than the sticks of butter the old Passports had.
Old 01-31-2018, 05:19 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
^^^^^

In fact, the old Honda Passport was, from the ground up, an Isuzu RWD truck (yes truck, not car-platform-based SUV).

The reason was that Honda, at that moment, was about a decade behind in releasing a genuine Honda SUV. So the rebadged-as-Honda Isuzu truck was pushed out as a desperate attempt to capture some SUV market share. But the old Passport was also typically an Isuzu, which was unreliable like hell.

So the new Honda Passport will definitely not inherit the shitty suspension taken out from some 2nd tier carmakers.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:47 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Is there really a need/demand for an SUV/CUV between the CR-V and Pilot?
Old 02-01-2018, 01:12 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
Originally Posted by AZuser
This is my thought as well.

Are they going for size differentiation or more features/luxury differentiation?

CRV has gotten so big I'm not sure size-wise there's a market for something smaller than Pilot but bigger than a CRV.

It will be branded HOnda, so not sure if they will want to eat away at Acura sales if they make it too luxurious?......unless they are making a more off-road capable vehicle/play and try to eat into some of that market....
Old 02-01-2018, 01:31 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
I wonder if it would be more like the original Passport- more utilitarian, then mall crawler. Something along the lines of the old school Pathfinder or 4runner.

I too would be surprised if this thing doesn't just cannabilize sales of the CRV and Pilot. Seems like an interesting move on Honda's part.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:31 PM
Team Owner

I wonder if it would be more like the original Passport- more utilitarian, then mall crawler. Something along the lines of the old school Pathfinder or 4runner.

I too would be surprised if this thing doesn't just cannabilize sales of the CRV and Pilot. Seems like an interesting move on Honda's part.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:43 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,820 Likes on 3,844 Posts
Absolutely. Ford sells the piss out of the Edge, Jeep with the GC, MB with the GLE, BMW with X5, Nissan Murano, etc... The true mid size SUV segment is huge right now. The CRV is essentially their compact with the Pilot being full size (and this is rationale to make it even bigger) and the HRV is the subcompact. Something has to slot in the middle.

Originally Posted by TacoBello

Absolutely not.

Also, yes it will cannibalize but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Allows them to push the Pilot upmarket and make it larger while making the CRV the more "budget" option.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:05 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,018 Likes on 2,496 Posts
Originally Posted by nist7
This is my thought as well.

Are they going for size differentiation or more features/luxury differentiation?

CRV has gotten so big I'm not sure size-wise there's a market for something smaller than Pilot but bigger than a CRV.

It will be branded HOnda, so not sure if they will want to eat away at Acura sales if they make it too luxurious?......unless they are making a more off-road capable vehicle/play and try to eat into some of that market....
I think both the Pilot and CRV have both grow over their generations, so there's probably a market for something in between.
We have a 1G 2003 Pilot 2003, and a 2017 CRV. The CRV is definitely smaller than the 1G Pilot but not by alot, but when I looked at a 3G Pilot at the dealership I noticed a big difference between the current Pilot and CRV.
So I'm guessing Honda believes there's still room for the Passport to squeeze in between.
HRV sales are taking away many CRV sales, but HRV's are also not selling no where near the CRV.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:41 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SamDoe1
Absolutely. Ford sells the piss out of the Edge, Jeep with the GC, MB with the GLE, BMW with X5, Nissan Murano, etc... The true mid size SUV segment is huge right now. The CRV is essentially their compact with the Pilot being full size (and this is rationale to make it even bigger) and the HRV is the subcompact. Something has to slot in the middle.

Absolutely not.

Also, yes it will cannibalize but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Allows them to push the Pilot upmarket and make it larger while making the CRV the more "budget" option.
Which seems odd. If the pilot goes upscale, it's nipping on the MDXs toes. If the CRV goes downscale, it is nipping on the HRVs toes. Offering too many options when it comes to cars isn't necessarily a good thing. But then again... BMW has 40 different trims of every car, that surely step on each others toes also....
Old 02-01-2018, 02:47 PM
_

I consider the HR-V the compact, the CR-V the mid size, and the Pilot the full size. That's why I can't figure out why they'd need to slot something in between the CR-V and Pilot.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:49 PM
Team Owner

Agreed. They must be shifting the entire lineup via next generations, if they're squeezing another unit in there.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:54 PM
_

What's next, the return of the Acura SLX?

Slot that in between the RDX and MDX and then bring the CDX over from China?
Old 02-01-2018, 02:58 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,820 Likes on 3,844 Posts
Which seems odd. If the pilot goes upscale, it's nipping on the MDXs toes. If the CRV goes downscale, it is nipping on the HRVs toes. Offering too many options when it comes to cars isn't necessarily a good thing. But then again... BMW has 40 different trims of every car, that surely step on each others toes also....
Lets be honest, MDX is dead with the introduction of the RX350-L.

Also, the Accord already nips at the TLX and the Civic is (for the most part) better than the ILX. Honda doesn't give a crap about Acura.

In regards to the CRV and HRV, the big difference between the two is size. The HRV is just too small for people regardless of price...which is where the CRV comes in.

I consider the HR-V the compact, the CR-V the mid size, and the Pilot the full size. That's why I can't figure out why they'd need to slot something in between the CR-V and Pilot.
My guess is that they'll make the new one the Edge to the Pilot's Explorer. One a three row and the other a two row. Ford definitely sells plenty of both.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:37 AM
Race Director

Received 623 Likes on 502 Posts
Red Bull will race under Honda power in 2019 and 2020 after announcing its anticipated split with Renault early Tuesday morning.

Team boss Christian Horner had hinted during the Formula 1 Canadian Grand Prix weekend that answers over its power unit supplier for 2019 would come sooner rather than later and, with sister team Toro Rosso taking a gamble on Honda for this season, this move has been in the cards for a while.

“This multi-year agreement with Honda signals the start of an exciting new phase in Aston Martin Red Bull Racing’s efforts to compete not just for Grand Prix wins but for what is always our goal -- championship titles,” said Horner. “We have always taken decisions such as this dispassionately and with only one criteria in mind: Do we believe the outcome will allow us to compete at a higher level? After careful consideration and evaluation, we are certain this partnership with Honda is the right direction for the team.

“We have been impressed by Honda’s commitment to F1, by the rapid steps they have made in recent times with our sister team Scuderia Toro Rosso and by the scope of their ambition, which matches our own. We look forward to working with Honda in the coming years and to racing together in pursuit of F1’s biggest prizes.”During their 12-year partnership, the last three spent with the power units rebadged as watchmaker TAG Heuer units, Red Bull went from being back-markers to championship winners. Honors came chiefly between 2010 and 2013, when the team took four consecutive constructors' crowns while also powering Sebastian Vettel to four drivers' titles.

Since the introduction of the hybrid power units, the relationship has soured somewhat as Renault struggles to match Mercedes. With unsavory comments being thrown from both factions, this eventual split has been coming for some time.

“Two years after Renault’s return as a works team, we consider this is a natural evolution for both Renault and Red Bull Racing in view of their respective aspirations,” read the Renault press release. “In an extremely demanding and competitive environment, we are proud of the extraordinary results achieved with Red Bull Racing over the past 12 seasons, in particular, the four drivers’ and constructors’ championships and 57 wins we have taken together.

“After two seasons, we are fully focused on the strong progression of Renault Sport Formula One Team, while continuing to foster the fresh relationship with McLaren Racing.”

Read more: Red Bull Racing F1 team switching to Honda power for 2019 | Autoweek
Old 06-19-2018, 09:57 AM
Team Owner

How is Honda doing in F1 these days? Are they still consistently coming in near the bottom, or not at all?
Old 06-19-2018, 10:02 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
How is Honda doing in F1 these days? Are they still consistently coming in near the bottom, or not at all?
Meh. They only power STR, so their ceiling is pretty low. RBR will have growing pains with Honda but they will become the de facto factory team with Honda.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:59 AM

https://gizmodo.com/rip-asimo-you-us...-ad-1827213706

Honda just announced that it will cease development of Asimo, the super cute humanoid that tours the world in the name of stunt marketing. Asimo was 18 years old. Asimo, once heralded as the future of robotics, was not even old enough to buy a beer. But it was always happy to help sell you a Honda automobile.

Don’t get me wrong: Asimo is awesome. The bubble-headed droid has been around as long as the 21st century, and it always felt like a glimpse of the future, when robot assistants would walk to the kitchen and make us cheeseburgers. Sadly, this is a future that will likely never materialize the way that your young mind may have imagined it at the turn of the century. Because Honda, primarily a car and motorcycle company, was never really interested in making Asimo available to the public. Asimo was always a marketing stunt. Honda’s logo was emblazoned across Asimo’s chest and shoulders, like some something out of a NASCAR race.

This always bugged me, and over time, I came to disdain Honda for letting its badass bipedal robot seem like nothing more than a walking ad. Asimo is an acronym for “Advanced Step in Innovative Mobility,” a vague expression of inconclusive innovation if I’ve ever seen one. Standing just over four-feet-tall and weighing in 119 pounds, Asimo is described as“the world’s most advanced humanoid robot.” Honda is the one writing that description, by the way.

While Asimo was, in fact, the first robot to walk on two legs when it was introduced in 2000, not many (if any) of the robot’s technology has made it into the mainstream. The Nikkei Asian Review reports that Asimo technology helped lead to the development of an intelligent, robotic, Honda-branded lawn mower that you can now buy for $2,500. Needless to say, I was hoping for more after 18 years and seven generations of Asimo.

What the public has seen a lot of, however, is Asimo photo ops. Reading through the highlights of Asimo’s biography sometimes feels like wading into a cavern of forgotten dreams. There was the time Asimo opened the New York Stock Exchange in 2002 and the time Asimo walked the red carpet at the premiere of the movie Robots, starring Amanda Bynes. That same year, Asimo made appearances at Disneyland. Three years later, Asimo conducted the Detroit Symphany Orchestra in a stunning rendition of “The Impossible Dream,” a song about the lofty ambitions of a madman who fights windmills. Fast forward a few years, when we saw Asimo play a game of soccer with President Obama. This global celebrity—Asimo, not Obama—later served as the inspiration for the movie Robot & Frank, which was excellent in my opinion.

None of this is to say that Asimo is a bad robot. It’s actually very impressive to see it walk around and talk and conduct orchestras and stuff! I also don’t want to undersell the value of having an example of modern robotics that people can relate to and feel connected to. Asimo exudes this fun, little sibling feeling that many people love. I’ll also commend Honda for sending Asimo on many, many educational tours to get young people excited about robotics, while meeting heads of state and even royalty along the way. I’m just not so sure the company needed to paint its logo all over the damn thing.

What really gets me steamed up, though, is that Honda didn’t do more with Asimo. It would be truly awesome if Asimo could drive a car for you or if Asimo robots were a common fixture in retirement homes and children’s hospitals. It would be amazing if Honda made a consumer version of Asimo, perhaps a cyborg butler or just a little buddy like Jibo, the world’s first family robot. The research gleaned from Asimo’s development has undoubtedly helped Honda develop other projects, and the company has advertised a few of them, like the Uni-Cub personal mobility device and the Walking Assist exoskeleton. Honda also showed off a lineup of new robots at CES this year, though all of these products still appear to be in the concept or prototype phase.

Asimo, in my mind, departs this world as the embodiment of Honda’s great bionic grift. It joins other camera-friendly robots like Boston Dynamics’ Atlas and Sophia, the artificially intelligent automaton that’s actually pretty dumb. Each represents its own version of progress in the creation of a true humanoid robot, yet from the average person’s point of view, all of them are essentially only good for fun YouTube videos and viral internet blogs.

If you remember Asimo as anything, you’ll remember it as Honda’s robot that does neat stuff. And also, would you like to buy a Civic?
Old 06-29-2018, 09:16 AM
Team Owner

What a shame. Honda could've created an all new market with Asimo and could have led it with ease. Place an Asimo in every home in the developed world and... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 06-29-2018, 09:21 AM
AZ Community Team

^ thought the same thing, consumer robotics are probably a better future market than their jet airplane business
Old 06-30-2018, 01:54 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Whoa...a bit of a surprise.....shame...
Old 07-02-2018, 03:47 PM
AZ Community Team

^ Hey just noticed the 19 RDX on your vehicle signature!
When did you get it and how do you like it so far?
Old 07-03-2018, 02:36 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Ya just picked it up last Friday! My wife and I went for a 30 min test driving, earlier last month, but she didn't like it, despite only driving it for 1 minute only ....lol. We spent some time playing around with the infotainment system and thought the sound system in the Elite Platinum Trim wasn't that spectacular. I did enjoy the drive very much though. I was able to convince my wife to do another test drive, since you really can't tell how good or bad a car is with just one minute of driving. So last week we drove both the A-spec Trim and the same Elite platinum that we drove earlier. The A-spec has the exact same sound system and this one in particular was way better than the one in the Elite Platinum demo car. That led us to believe the one in the demo was probably messed up. My wife this time spent 15-20 min driving each trim and totally changed her perspective on the RDX. So yea that's how we got the new RDX.

In terms of driving, I feel like it's as fun to drive as my 1g RDX, but the new one is way more comfortable and quiet. I feel that the A-spec trim, despite not having adaptive dampers and larger 20" rims, still has pretty good ride comfort. The adaptive dampers on the top trim is fantastic though. I really like the different drive modes and one can easily feel the difference right away as you change to different modes. In normal city driving or highway cruising, the RDX is very comfortable. The engine, even though is similar to my CTR's one, sounds quite a bit different. I don't quite like how it sounds especially when you push it a bit. It also gets a bit loud. But hey, I'm used to the engine sound from the FK8 and the S2K...so...I guess it's hard to compare. The bottom line is that the RDX pulls quite well and definitely feels like there's more power than 270hp in a 4000lb car. I haven't been able to detect any turbo lag. The 10AT IMO shifts smoothly and quickly. I haven't noticed any gear hunting thus far. Can't report much on mpg yet since the car had 30km on it when I picked it up and it was showing 40L/100km or something lol. I'm at about 250km now and it's down to 14L/100km, mostly city driving. I'd imagine it will do 11L/100km in our driving once it has more mileage on it. For reference, our 1g RDX was just a bit over 14L/100km, so unsurprisingly, the new one is much more efficient.

The exterior is subjective, but for the top trim here in Canada, it has some nice touches such as automatic power folding mirrors, puddle lights, rear camera washer, headlight washer, etc. The rims are bland looking though.

The interior is awesome though, even if you don't consider its much lower price tag in its segment. The leather is feels way nicer than the 1g RDX. The design is modern and luxurious. Materials used are all soft touch and genuine. I sat in a 2g RDX in the dealership and man, the difference is huge. My business partner just purchased an AMG GT S earlier last week and I drove and sat in it for 10 hours. The RDX feels much more expensive inside than that car. Then again, the GT S is more of a sports car than a luxury coupe, so that's probably not a fair comparison. In any case, the interior is really impressive. Other than the materials and design, the features that are being offered are very generous. Ventilated seats, rear heated seats, rear temperature control, panoramic roof, 16-way front seats, head-up display, 3D ELS sound system, etc, it has it all. The infotainment system is also well designed. The new true-touch pad takes a bit of time to get used to but after a few days it's already becoming very intuitive and for certain functions, I don't even have to look at the screen because of muscle memory. The infotainment system is fast and the graphics, including the built-in navigation, are very modern looking. Screen is sharp and looks high quality. The sound system is magnificent. I'm not an Audiophile but even MP3's sound really good. On the road, the interior is quiet but I feel that the road noise is a tad too much. Overall, the interior feels luxury and is a very nice place to be in.

If future Acura models are designed and engineered like the new RDX, then Acura will be doing very, very well. The RDX is an excellent car because of its performance, handling, interior, features. The price is just the icing on the cake.
The following 2 users liked this post by iforyou:
Curious3GTL (07-05-2018), Legend2TL (07-03-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 11:01 AM
AZ Community Team

Congrats!

I'm trying to convince a friend of my wife's to seriously look at the new RDX to replace his ~4 year old MDX.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:24 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
The price is just the icing on the cake.
Even at $56135CA ? That's MDX level.

Congrats for your new RDX.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:45 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Congrats.... first year model worries me.. especially with Acura... and especially especially with so much new stuff in this one...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Honda: Development and Technology News