Honda: CR-Z News **Facelift Revealed (page 31)**

Old 09-30-2009, 03:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Originally Posted by Shift_Acura
Dont like the prius style trunk
You mean the 1st gen Insight or even further back, the CRX trunk?
Old 09-30-2009, 07:02 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
I think it looks really good. Certainty better than all the Honda's been releasing lately. I just don't have much faith in this being much of a sports car.

It should perform equal to or better than the Si but I doubt it will.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Shift_Acura
Dont like the prius style trunk
Honda had that style far before the prius was around. IE CRX..
Old 09-30-2009, 08:40 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks good.

i hope the car is a next-gen CRX. i loved that car.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:31 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
I think it looks really good. Certainty better than all the Honda's been releasing lately. I just don't have much faith in this being much of a sports car.

It should perform equal to or better than the Si but I doubt it will.
...but Honda needs to step up the Si performance.

hmmmm I seem to remember Honda made a turbo 4 that would be perfect for a car like this......I wonder where it went........oh yea...they stuck it in a very ugly SUV
Old 09-30-2009, 12:33 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
I'm going to add to what I said (that the CR-Z looks good) with this disclaimer: at this point in design, the gen2 Insight looked good too.

I honestly can't say the same for the production Insight. The Prius looks a bit sharper. Same might happen for the CR-Z.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:59 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl

I honestly can't say the same for the production Insight. The Prius looks a bit sharper. Same might happen for the CR-Z.
Good point. Its amazing that the Prius manages to look better than anything but its definitely the looker of the dedicated hybrid world.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:22 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
I'm going to add to what I said (that the CR-Z looks good) with this disclaimer: at this point in design, the gen2 Insight looked good too.

True...but in all fairness, the Insight is the "poor man's" Prius.
So that being said, the Prius will look sharper/better.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:27 PM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
True...but in all fairness, the Insight is the "poor man's" Prius.
So that being said, the Prius will look sharper/better.
true. but the prius is a toyota so honda should look sharper/better.

unfortunately, it should.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Not crazy about it. In particular, don't like the butt. Interior is kinda nice though.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:43 PM
how handsome I am

its definitely not as atrocious as the Honda Crossover mess. I'll hold my judgement until the auto show though.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
YES. I like it a lot!

Then again, I LOVED the 2G CRX that was out while I was in college. That was HOT back in the day.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:50 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
looks great, best looking hatchback so far. kinda hard to tell if it has projector headlight or not. I like it inside out. Now if Honda prices it around 20-22k that would be great!
Old 10-03-2009, 05:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Honda had that style far before the prius was around. IE CRX..
Yes but ppl can relate it more easily to a prius than a hatchback from the early 90's

Kids these days dont even know what a CRX is...
Old 10-03-2009, 02:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by cp3117
Hopefully this is a sign of some better design work from honda. Although it is a concept so im sure before production begins they will throw some kind of an Acura styled front end on it.
Other than getting in a cute swipe at Acura design, does your statement really make any logical sense? As I hear, the whole purpose of the controversial Acura styling was to distance the brand from Honda styling. Adding Acura cues wouldn't achieve this.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by neuronbob
YES. I like it a lot!

Then again, I LOVED the 2G CRX that was out while I was in college. That was HOT back in the day.
I love the look of this car. I think the look will 'oversell' the performance, but it wouldn't be the first (nor last) car to look faster than it is. The manual transmission would probably hurt MPG, but should add to the fun. As long as it handles well, is priced in the low 20s, and delivers good fuel economy, it should do well. This means that Honda would have 3 coupes all below 30K. What about Acura? This doesn't leave a lot of room for a 4th coupe in the family.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:24 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Colin
This means that Honda would have 3 coupes all below 30K. What about Acura? This doesn't leave a lot of room for a 4th coupe in the family.
But I thought Acura had distanced itself from Honda? So Acura can't release a coupe because Honda has 3 under 30K? This is the type of thinking that will IMO bury Acura at some point.

Last edited by dom; 10-05-2009 at 02:52 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dom
But I thought Acura had distanced itself from Honda? So Acura can't release a coupe because Honda has 3 under 30K? This is the type of thinking that will IMO bury Acura at some point.
My God, what a knee jerk reaction! It doesn't mean that at all. It means that if Acura were to release a sub 30K coupe, it must offer something that is not already offered within the brand. OR they release a coupe above the ending price for an Accord coupe. Which one? I'm guessing the later but hoping for both.

BTW, I generally appreciate a good intellectual discussion, but I will say that recently your posts have been less 'thoughtful' and more aimed at raising a reaction. Just IMO.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:15 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

My God, what a knee jerk reaction! It doesn't mean that at all. It means that if Acura were to release a sub 30K coupe, it must offer something that is not already offered within the brand. OR they release a coupe above the ending price for an Accord coupe. Which one? I'm guessing the later but hoping for both.
It sounded as though you were suggesting Acura can't release a sub 30K coupe because Honda already has one. Other than that I agree. But should they even waste their time? Any coupe based off the Accord platform even with SH-AWD will IMO fail.

BTW, I generally appreciate a good intellectual discussion, but I will say that recently your posts have been less 'thoughtful' and more aimed at raising a reaction. Just IMO.
Because it was. We've had these discussions enough times that I don't always feel the need for a thoughtful post.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dom
But should they even waste their time? Any coupe based off the Accord platform even with SH-AWD will IMO fail.
Let's say there is no new chassis coming for 3+ years. So what should they do? No coupe at all?
Old 10-06-2009, 02:21 PM
Senior Moderator

In case anyone from Honda is browsing through here..

I'll buy a CRZ Si, no hybrid powertrain. Drop a K series in it and a 6MT.

I have my check in hand!
Old 10-06-2009, 02:21 PM
Senior Moderator

I have my check in hand!
Old 10-06-2009, 03:46 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Let's say there is no new chassis coming for 3+ years. So what should they do? No coupe at all?
IMO. Yes. Besides, in 3 years they should have the styling figured out.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL

I have my check in hand!
This raises an interesting point. Honda seems to have realized that some of the reason for the Prius' success, is that it makes a statement and screams "I'm Green" because the body shares no gas only analog. Would the addition of a "gas only" engine option, dilute the CR-Zs Hybrid message?
Old 10-06-2009, 03:52 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

This raises an interesting point. Honda seems to have realized that some of the reason for the Prius' success, is that it makes a statement and screams "I'm Green" because the body shares no gas only analog. Would the addition of a "gas only" engine option, dilute the CR-Zs Hybrid message?
They tried that with the Insight and so far seem to have failed. Honda doesn't have the same cachet with their Hybrids that Toyota does with the Prius. So the question should be, can they afford to even take that chance with the CR-Z? And risk selling even less than they do Insights.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dom
They tried that with the Insight and so far seem to have failed. Honda doesn't have the same cachet with their Hybrids that Toyota does with the Prius. So the question should be, can they afford to even take that chance with the CR-Z? And risk selling even less than they do Insights.
Correct. Honda does not have as much cache with their hybrids. Should they 'stay the course' or throw in the towel? Afterall, NOBODY has as much cache with their hybrids as the Prius. Should everyone just give this market to Toyota?

With Hybrids, it seems that hybrid versions of existing cars are a fringe market at best, so the near term future may be 'distinctly hybrid' models like the Prius and Insight. What if the 3G Prius had been on the market for (say) a year and had established the 'entry' price for this type of car at $25-27,000 (where many analysts expected it to retail). The Insight could have come in at $18-22,000 with the "Hybrid for Everybody" theme and captured some mindshare. As we see, it didn't unfold this way. Honda popped their wad early, Toyota changed their plans and dumped the Prius price in response. Essentially leaving the Insight nowhere to go. IMO, this is what is responsible for the difficulties the Insight faces.

Also, from what I've read, the CR-Z is based on the Insight, it is likely there is little development to make this new coupe, thus minimizing the risk.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:23 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Correct. Honda does not have as much cache with their hybrids. Should they 'stay the course' or throw in the towel? Afterall, NOBODY has as much cache with their hybrids as the Prius. Should everyone just give this market to Toyota?

With Hybrids, it seems that hybrid versions of existing cars are a fringe market at best, so the near term future may be 'distinctly hybrid' models like the Prius and Insight. What if the 3G Prius had been on the market for (say) a year and had established the 'entry' price for this type of car at $25-27,000 (where many analysts expected it to retail). The Insight could have come in at $18-22,000 with the "Hybrid for Everybody" theme and captured some mindshare. As we see, it didn't unfold this way. Honda popped their wad early, Toyota changed their plans and dumped the Prius price in response. Essentially leaving the Insight nowhere to go. IMO, this is what is responsible for the difficulties the Insight faces.

Also, from what I've read, the CR-Z is based on the Insight, it is likely there is little development to make this new coupe, thus minimizing the risk.
Is their a market for a dedicated hybrid 'sport' coupe? I suspect this car won't be the equivalent of even a Si as far as its sporting intentions go so I really don't see this car doing well if thats the case. If its a hybrid that performs as good or better than an Si than it may have an audience.

All the CRX lovers left have grown up and unlikely to actually buy one regardless of what's said in forums.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dom
Is their a market for a dedicated hybrid 'sport' coupe? I suspect this car won't be the equivalent of even a Si as far as its sporting intentions go so I really don't see this car doing well if thats the case. If its a hybrid that performs as good or better than an Si than it may have an audience.

All the CRX lovers left have grown up and unlikely to actually buy one regardless of what's said in forums.
Who is to say if there's a big market, but can you fault them for exploring a new market? Aren't we unhappy cause they're "afraid" (to use words I've seen) to be a leader? As for the fun to drive quotient: A CRX Si was only 108 hp (in the US). It was never fast in a straightline, it's character came from it's overall 'feel'. Who is to say that 130-140 with a big, fat, electric motor torque curve, wouldn't be enough for the (expected) weight gain.

I don't think this is for original CRX buyers. There must be a generation of new buyers looking for fun, entry level cars. Wouldn't this fit the spirit of "of going back to their (Honda's) roots?" Might these these new buyers have a different 'world view' of what is good or bad when it comes to cars, the environment and their lifestyle? Maybe this car isn't for you? Maybe it's for the guy you WERE back in your Integra days?

Last edited by Colin; 10-06-2009 at 09:05 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:04 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Get rid of this stupid hybrid BS, drop in the turbo four from the RDX (or even the K20), call it an Si and I'd definitely buy one....
Old 10-06-2009, 09:06 PM
Punk Rocker

I don't think this is for original CRX buyers. There must be a generation of new buyers looking for fun, entry level cars. Wouldn't this fit the spirit of "of going back to their (Honda's) roots?" Might these these new buyers have a different 'world view' of what is good or bad when it comes to cars, the environment and their lifestyle? Maybe this car isn't for you? Maybe it's for the guy you WERE back in your Integra days?
I was never an eco-fag even in my Integra days....
Old 10-06-2009, 09:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
I was never an eco-fag even in my Integra days....
LOL, and I'd never buy a Nissan or a Ford so what's you point? Different strokes for different folks. Is this not OK?
Old 10-06-2009, 10:08 PM
Punk Rocker

LOL, and I'd never buy a Nissan or a Ford so what's you point? Different strokes for different folks. Is this not OK?
When the different folks start telling me I have to live by their different strokes then yes, there is a problem. Global warming is BS and so is this recent fervor to ditch gasoline engines to "save the planet"....
Old 10-06-2009, 10:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
Global warming is BS and so is this recent fervor to ditch gasoline engines to "save the planet"....
Oh I agree, but it doesn't change the fact that there is a market for those who disagree with us (though we're obviously right). Ignoring this potential would be a mistake. IMO, their money as just as green (pun intended) so why not get some.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:06 PM
Punk Rocker

Oh I agree, but it doesn't change the fact that there is a market for those who disagree with us (though we're obviously right). Ignoring this potential would be a mistake. IMO, their money as just as green (pun intended) so why not get some.
Thats fine but make one with a "real" engine for the non-idiots to buy...
Old 10-07-2009, 11:37 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Who is to say if there's a big market, but can you fault them for exploring a new market?
Not at all. Don't take my questioning this car as me saying its a terrible idea. Its about time they come out with something like this. But it would IMO be very shortsighted and a mistake if they only release this car as a hybrid.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dom
Not at all. Don't take my questioning this car as me saying its a terrible idea. Its about time they come out with something like this. But it would IMO be very shortsighted and a mistake if they only release this car as a hybrid.
I disagree. If the whole idea is to have a line of hybrid vehicles, the Insight and CR-Z would be a good place to start. IMO, the Civic Si already covers the "all-gas" ground fine. By the time this hits the market in the US, won't there be a new generation of Civics ready? (I think the timing is about right)
Old 10-08-2009, 07:25 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

I disagree. If the whole idea is to have a line of hybrid vehicles, the Insight and CR-Z would be a good place to start. IMO, the Civic Si already covers the "all-gas" ground fine. By the time this hits the market in the US, won't there be a new generation of Civics ready? (I think the timing is about right)
We shall see. I was reading Nov R&T last night and Sam Mitani wrote about the CR-Z. He didn't mention anything about a gas only version and mentioned he expects about 130HP combined. In a world of much more powerful pocket rockets I'm not so sure this will find an audience. Does a 20-22 year old kid really care about MPG, the cars environmental foot print and how well the car handles? He's more likely to buy an Si IMO.

The pic accompanying the article looked to be a R&T drawing of the CR-Z that was very similar to the recent concept pics but it IMO looked even better. More streamlined.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dom
In a world of much more powerful pocket rockets I'm not so sure this will find an audience. Does a 20-22 year old kid really care about MPG, the cars environmental foot print and how well the car handles? He's more likely to buy an Si IMO.
It's hard to say isn't it? But, one thing I see over and over here is the inability to see beyond 'me and now' and to try to imagine the long term direction. For example, I'm not a big recycler and I don't have kids. But my nephew who is 13 has been separating his trash for 5 years now. This is something I don't do, nor am I interested in starting, but to him, it's second nature. I have a different mindset focused on "me" than he does and in this respect, I'm just like 90% of the posters on this forum.

Enough sociology. Back to cars.

If the CR-Z arrives in the US in 2011 and stays in production till 2017-18, my nephew might be a buyer for this. All car makers have the task of trying to define what they 'think' they'll need 5-10 years down the road. On the forums, we focus on what's here "now" for "me" and what is coming in the next model year. So you might be right, if WE were 13 again, we'd probably gravitate towards the 2015 Civic Si when we were ready to drive. But this does not mean that today's 13 year old who doesn't share our views will.

I'm certainly not presumptuous enough to assume this is absolutely correct, but I'm sure someone will accuse me of being wrong.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:34 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

It's hard to say isn't it? But, one thing I see over and over here is the inability to see beyond 'me and now' and to try to imagine the long term direction. For example, I'm not a big recycler and I don't have kids. But my nephew who is 13 has been separating his trash for 5 years now. This is something I don't do, nor am I interested in starting, but to him, it's second nature. I have a different mindset focused on "me" than he does and in this respect, I'm just like 90% of the posters on this forum.

Enough sociology. Back to cars.

If the CR-Z arrives in the US in 2011 and stays in production till 2017-18, my nephew might be a buyer for this. All car makers have the task of trying to define what they 'think' they'll need 5-10 years down the road. On the forums, we focus on what's here "now" for "me" and what is coming in the next model year. So you might be right, if WE were 13 again, we'd probably gravitate towards the 2015 Civic Si when we were ready to drive. But this does not mean that today's 13 year old who doesn't share our views will.

I'm certainly not presumptuous enough to assume this is absolutely correct, but I'm sure someone will accuse me of being wrong.

All any of us including Honda can do is take their best guess. If Honda and others manufactures had all the answers we would never see a flop. Yet, there are many.

I can't say you're wrong and vice versa. Time will tell. In my unscientific research I can tell you that the few 15-16 year kids I know today (Car goes on sale next year not in 2016) don't give a lick about hybrids and all the 18-22 year old kids I see hanging out every night at the local strip mall in the done up Si's, RSX's and WRX's don't seem to concerned about the environment as they sit in a parking lot with their car running.

That isn't to say the CR-Z is a bad idea. Its a noble effort, I just don't think it will make a lot of business sense. At least initially.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dom
(Car goes on sale next year not in 2016)
I know when it goes on sale, I said it will still be in production through 2016 and thus could capture buyers who are only 11 now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Honda: CR-Z News **Facelift Revealed (page 31)**