Honda: CR-Z News **Facelift Revealed (page 31)**

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 06:12 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
sigh. I keep looking for a bright spot in the story, for instance a "CR-Z Si announced with updated K-series engine, 6MT and without hybrid motor" story but sadly I've lost the promise I once saw in this car
I keep hoping that specified weight is somehow an error, and that someone converted from the JDM spec into US spec, but failed to realize the JDM specs include rear seats, so the actual weight of the car is less than what is currently thrown out there.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:19 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Belzebutt
Dude, both of these are almost identical to the concept.
Its stunning to me that you think so. Might wanna get those eyes checked. Sure they are SIMILAR to the concepts but the Camaro, for instance, is nearly IDENTICAL to the concept.

Put simply, the Accord and CR-Z concepts were both cars that I found very attractive. The production versions on the other hand are hideous and I wouldn't think of buying either...
Old 01-15-2010, 08:36 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,140 Likes on 4,807 Posts
Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
Its stunning to me that you think so. Might wanna get those eyes checked. Sure they are SIMILAR to the concepts but the Camaro, for instance, is nearly IDENTICAL to the concept.

Put simply, the Accord and CR-Z concepts were both cars that I found very attractive. The production versions on the other hand are hideous and I wouldn't think of buying either...
Isn't similar and nearly identical one and the same?
Old 01-16-2010, 04:01 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by phile
I keep hoping that specified weight is somehow an error, and that someone converted from the JDM spec into US spec, but failed to realize the JDM specs include rear seats, so the actual weight of the car is less than what is currently thrown out there.
Assuming the JDM-spec CR-Z has those 2+2 rear seats that are designed for double amputees below the waist (see: 90s 240sx, Eclipse, 300ZX, Prelude, etc), I don't think those seats will weigh much at all. I took out the back seats in my car, which technically is a 2+2 but has more room than the above, and the backseat portion plus the seat cushions weigh no more than 40 lbs altogether at the most, that's including the mounting hardware.

Nothing compares to the hybrid system with its hardware, battery, etc. Seriously, that thing weighs more than a Civic coupe and its probably smaller than a Fit dimensions-wise.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:51 AM
Punk Rocker

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Isn't similar and nearly identical one and the same?
Umm, no.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:44 AM

miscommunication much?
Old 01-16-2010, 09:36 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Look at the JDM brochure, it's around 1130-1150kg, or around 2500lb.
http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=872003
Old 01-16-2010, 11:00 AM

that's good to hear at least. Way better than 2800 lbs!
Old 01-16-2010, 11:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
its probably smaller than a Fit dimensions-wise.
To be precise, it's one inch shorter, almost two inches wider and a over five inches lower than a Fit sport.

The weight (lbs., preliminary estimates): Approximately 2,670 (MT), a Civic Si is 2895, so roughly 200 lbs less than an Si

Last edited by Colin; 01-16-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
To be precise, it's one inch shorter, almost two inches wider and a over five inches lower than a Fit sport.

The weight (lbs., preliminary estimates): Approximately 2,670 (MT), a Civic Si is 2895, so roughly 200 lbs less than an Si
Pretty pathetic if you ask me, since if the 120+lbs was taken out from the IMA system and a larger engine was put in, it would be much faster and still pretty thrifty.

Well hopefully a turbo I4 SH-AWD Prelude is still in the works although I doubt that'll ever happen. Nothing Honda is doing really impresses me anymore. It all just makes me want to shake my head

Hyundai now has grabbed the most fuel efficient automaker in the nation title from Honda, and Hyundai has a RWD V8 luxury sedan in their lineup...
Old 01-16-2010, 01:18 PM
Suzuka Master

^^All your opinion. I was only addressing I Go To Costco's comments on dimensions and weight
Old 01-16-2010, 10:53 PM

Thanks, Colin, and iforyou

I'm pretty sure Honda never meant this to be a CR-X successor, they just figured there was some commonality with them both being 2-seater hatchbacks with similar profiles.

Still, we can hope for a lighter, sans-hybrid CR-Z Si can't we?
Old 01-17-2010, 02:00 AM

Umm, no.
http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/similar

Synonyms: agnate, akin, allied, analogous, coincident, coincidental, coinciding, collateral, companion, comparable, complementary, congruent, congruous, consonant, consubstantial, correlative, corresponding, homogeneous, identical, in agreement, kin, kindred, like, matching, much the same, parallel, reciprocal, related, resembling, same, twin, uniform
Old 01-17-2010, 07:31 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts

I'm pretty sure Honda never meant this to be a CR-X successor, they just figured there was some commonality with them both being 2-seater hatchbacks with similar profiles.

No problem. Obviously Honda spent some time and effort in keeping the weight down for the CRZ, which is definitely a good move.

I agree, the CR-Z is not exactly a CR-X successor. IMO Honda is just trying to see if there's a market for a hybrid 2-seater with a bit of fun-to-drive factor. They always talk about green. They always talk about hybrid cars for the short-term. So it's good that they are delivering just that. And it's good to see that they are being innovative and trying new things.

Definitely, I would love to see a high performance version of the CR-Z to satisfy the enthusiasts. Why waste the good look?
Old 01-17-2010, 12:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by iforyou

Definitely, I would love to see a high performance version of the CR-Z to satisfy the enthusiasts. Why waste the good look?
Actually, I think there will be better performing versions down the road. IMO, they should remain hybrid if Honda is to 'drive the point home' that they can be 'green and fun to drive'. I'm sure that there will be other vehicles in the pipeline to satisfy the 'gas only' crowd and this is what I'd pin my hopes on.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by iforyou
Exactly. I love the design of the CR-Z. I think its unique, and I love hatchbacks.

Actually, I think there will be better performing versions down the road. IMO, they should remain hybrid if Honda is to 'drive the point home' that they can be 'green and fun to drive'. I'm sure that there will be other vehicles in the pipeline to satisfy the 'gas only' crowd and this is what I'd pin my hopes on.
I sincerely hope you are correct. And I dont mean that in a pessimistic manner.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:14 PM
Punk Rocker

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Ok, whichever thesaurus you used that says that "identical" and "related" are synonyms was probably written by a 3 year old. Identical means exactly the same. Similar or related do not. Period.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:23 PM

Ok, whichever thesaurus you used that says that "identical" and "related" are synonyms was probably written by a 3 year old. Identical means exactly the same. Similar or related do not. Period.
Yet you put that little key word before it; nearly.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
I think Honda needs to work on their Hybrid tech and get better mileage though if they want to "drive the point home" What they have produced thus far has been rather lack luster on the gas mileage "improvement" over non hybrid cars.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:42 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ I think it's quite obvious that they know that. In a Q & A with the press at the NAIAS Ito said (from TOV)

Q: Will Honda introduce a full hybrid? If so, when?

A: We will continue to leverage our IMA technology in small cars like the Civic and other small hybrids like the CR-Z, but are developing a larger two-motor hybrid engine for bigger vehicles like the Accord or larger. I can't give specifics about timing, but it is not that far away.

Q: Will you introduce hybrid engines into the Acura lineup?

A: Yes, but we can't give specifics about timing.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:16 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,021 Likes on 2,499 Posts
^^ I think it's quite obvious that they know that. In a Q & A with the press at the NAIAS Ito said (from TOV)
, glad to see Honda finally coming around to a "real" hybrid drivetrain design/devlopment instead to the IMA approach. Then they can compete better with Toyota.

IMO the IMA/flywheel approach not having the ability to drive full electric was a sacrifice for packaging and maybe complexity. Having the multiple servo motors requires more specialized engine packaging.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:33 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Dan Martin
The original CR-X put out 137hp and got 50mpg. It seems like the whole reason the hybrid exists in this car is so that it has enough power to pull around the extra weight of the hybrid system.
My older brother had a 1986 CRX Si (US Spec) and had only 91HP and if I remember got ~45MPG, it also only weighted ~2K lb's. It was alot of fun to drive, fortunately was never in a accident. They had very poor crash test results.

A colleague had a 2G CRX Si, it was even better than the 1G my brother had.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
, glad to see Honda finally coming around to a "real" hybrid drivetrain design/devlopment instead to the IMA approach. Then they can compete better with Toyota.
Yup...we should definitely give them credit for "coming around" since they always follow through on their plans.

I'm sure most here would agree that based on how well they've stayed true to their announced plans ("marketing spin" would be a better word), they'll get credit for 'coming around' when that model is sitting on showroom floors and dealer lots with a window sticker on it.

I don't give credit to a company that announces, designs, engineers, and puts into production vapor cars.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
I think Honda needs to work on their Hybrid tech and get better mileage though if they want to "drive the point home" What they have produced thus far has been rather lack luster on the gas mileage "improvement" over non hybrid cars.
That's the thing... if they don't offer much more MPG than a non-hybrid, why should I bother...

I'm not falling for the hybrid marketing hype. I'd rather have a gas civic/fit than an insight/cr-z.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:56 PM
Senior Moderator

^ If honda would at least offer Diesel motors, (Something that gets better mileage than their hybrids) id be happy
Old 01-18-2010, 01:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
^ If honda would at least offer Diesel motors, (Something that gets better mileage than their hybrids) id be happy
http://jalopnik.com/5450880/everythi...?autoplay=true

This may explain why they get a 72 MPG diesel and we get the 33 MPG CR-Z.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:42 PM
Suzuka Master

^^I love Honda Europe commercials!
Old 01-18-2010, 05:15 PM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenMonster
That's the thing... if they don't offer much more MPG than a non-hybrid, why should I bother...

I'm not falling for the hybrid marketing hype. I'd rather have a gas civic/fit than an insight/cr-z.
Other than the Prius and Insight (and now CR-Z), none of the current hybrids make sense financially. None of them recoup their higher price (compared to the gas equivalent) in fuel savings over the typical ownership period.

Depending on the configuration some diesels do make sense financially. The E320CDi certainly did - it was only $750 more than an E320.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Europe gets all the good stuff. We get shit on.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:54 PM

^^I love Honda Europe commercials!

They get the cog commercial, the power of dreams commercial, and now this.

All we get is that annoying Civic musical road commercial, or those horrible Insight ads.

AHM needs to step up their marketing game.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:26 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by mrdeeno
Yup...we should definitely give them credit for "coming around" since they always follow through on their plans.

I'm sure most here would agree that based on how well they've stayed true to their announced plans ("marketing spin" would be a better word), they'll get credit for 'coming around' when that model is sitting on showroom floors and dealer lots with a window sticker on it.

I don't give credit to a company that announces, designs, engineers, and puts into production vapor cars.
Honda could put a new hybrid drivetrain on the lot and most here would agree you'd find something to whine about it. My point was very simple, Honda finally acknowledged they need a new approach for their hybrid drivetrain system design.

Honda's a business, situations and environments change. So don't always expect everything to go through. I've known ~10 engineers/managers who worked in the auto industry, many (all?) have worked on something that didn't go through at some point in their careers.

I've been disappointed in some of the things coming out from Honda (F1, styling, Acura, and some powertrain evolution) but some has been pretty inovation and fresh. It's not all about fail.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Honda could put a new hybrid drivetrain on the lot and most here would agree you'd find something to whine about it. My point was very simple, Honda finally acknowledged they need a new approach for their hybrid drivetrain system design.

Honda's a business, situations and environments change. So don't always expect everything to go through. I've known ~10 engineers/managers who worked in the auto industry, many (all?) have worked on something that didn't go through at some point in their careers.

I've been disappointed in some of the things coming out from Honda (F1, styling, Acura, and some powertrain evolution) but some has been pretty inovation and fresh. It's not all about fail.
My point is very simple as well...I'll find something to whine about WHEN/IF they put a new hybrid drivetrain on the lot. Just like I'll give them credit WHEN/IF they put a new hybrid drivetrain on the lot.

I'm not going to blindly give them credit for "acknowledging" they have a problem. They'll get credit for "coming around" when they COME AROUND, and no sooner.

BTW, I know an alcoholic that "acknowledges" he has a problem and has acknowledged it for YEARS. He still drinks. Acknowledging something is worlds apart from actually doing anything that solves the problem or that's deserving of being described as "coming around". He actually talks about how he tries and other problems come up and this and that changes. ALL are excuses...and as many missteps as Honda has made and all the excuses they've presented, maybe some fanbois should open their eyes up a little more and give credit where credit is due, rather than where it definitely is NOT due.

Last edited by mrdeeno; 01-18-2010 at 09:49 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
It would help if they'd do a 'real' hybrid drivetrain instead of the IMA system. For the money, it does not get significantly better mileage than a non-hybrid and ends up not making much sense. IMO, a car as small as the CRZ should get MUCH better mileage to make up for its lack of utility. There needs to be a significant enough reason to make people want to buy this vehicle over something that seats 4 and has at least a little cargo room, like an Insight, Prius, or Civic Hybrid. To me, there is no compelling reason whatsoever to purchase a CRZ.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:55 AM
Punk Rocker

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
It would help if they'd do a 'real' hybrid drivetrain instead of the IMA system. For the money, it does not get significantly better mileage than a non-hybrid and ends up not making much sense. IMO, a car as small as the CRZ should get MUCH better mileage to make up for its lack of utility. There needs to be a significant enough reason to make people want to buy this vehicle over something that seats 4 and has at least a little cargo room, like an Insight, Prius, or Civic Hybrid. To me, there is no compelling reason whatsoever to purchase a CRZ.
Well, there's the styling...
Old 01-19-2010, 08:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Lol, yes, forgot about that. No thanks!
Old 01-19-2010, 12:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
Old 01-19-2010, 09:26 PM
AZ Community Team

My point is very simple as well...I'll find something to whine about WHEN/IF they put a new hybrid drivetrain on the lot. Just like I'll give them credit WHEN/IF they put a new hybrid drivetrain on the lot.

I'm not going to blindly give them credit for "acknowledging" they have a problem. They'll get credit for "coming around" when they COME AROUND, and no sooner.

BTW, I know an alcoholic that "acknowledges" he has a problem and has acknowledged it for YEARS. He still drinks. Acknowledging something is worlds apart from actually doing anything that solves the problem or that's deserving of being described as "coming around". He actually talks about how he tries and other problems come up and this and that changes. ALL are excuses...and as many missteps as Honda has made and all the excuses they've presented, maybe some fanbois should open their eyes up a little more and give credit where credit is due, rather than where it definitely is NOT due.
Perhaps he drinks because he knows your bright forward looking outlook on things
Old 01-19-2010, 10:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Perhaps he drinks because he knows your bright forward looking outlook on things
Bravo...you got his problem figured out. Maybe I should tell him that you have all the answers to his problems.

Still doesn't change the fact that it takes MORE THAN WORDS before Honda should get credit for anything.

I wonder how many apologists gave them credit for "coming around" when they said Acura would start targeting Maybach. So how is that whole tier-1 thing going anyway?

I apologize in advance for refusing to participate in a Honda circle jerk over mere words.

Last edited by mrdeeno; 01-19-2010 at 10:11 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:25 AM
AZ Community Team

No you do, you'll always be there to remind him he will always fail.

You're always there to inform us on the things Honda didn't go through on and anything someone does not agree with you on is a apologist and fanboi. Perhaps you should open your eyes a little and discover once in a while Honda actually come through with something. Some of these things I don't even like (robot, corporate jet, SHAWD, hydrogen and NG vehicles...).

Bravo...you got his problem figured out. Maybe I should tell him that you have all the answers to his problems.

Still doesn't change the fact that it takes MORE THAN WORDS before Honda should get credit for anything.

I wonder how many apologists gave them credit for "coming around" when they said Acura would start targeting Maybach. So how is that whole tier-1 thing going anyway?

I apologize in advance for refusing to participate in a Honda circle jerk over mere words.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:50 AM
Punk Rocker

No you do, you'll always be there to remind him he will always fail.

You're always there to inform us on the things Honda didn't go through on and anything someone does not agree with you on is a apologist and fanboi. Perhaps you should open your eyes a little and discover once in a while Honda actually come through with something. Some of these things I don't even like (robot, corporate jet, SHAWD, hydrogen and NG vehicles...).
Oh for God's sakes!! Honda is just a car company! Why on earth should I jump for joy because every "once in a while Honda actually come (sic) through with something"?

Its this simple. I'm 31 y/o and I got over this brand-loyalty business years ago. I want to purchase a car that fits my needs, excites my soul, and looks and sounds good. I do not care which car maker builds this car. It could be a Cadillac, Lexus, BMW, whatever. I'm not going to sit around and wait for Honda to build something I want. I do not want (nor will I ever want) a stupid hybrid of any kind which means it is unlikely I will ever own a Honda again. End of story.

Quick Reply: Honda: CR-Z News **Facelift Revealed (page 31)**