Honda: Civic News - Page 5 - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Notices
Automotive News
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honda: Civic News

 
Old 11-18-2004, 04:20 PM
  #161  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: philly
Posts: 4,426
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hope Honda can do better than that mag.
heyitsme is offline  
Old 11-18-2004, 06:20 PM
  #162  
Fahrvergnügen'd
 
charliemike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Maryland
Age: 47
Posts: 13,064
Thanked 1,384 Times in 859 Posts
Looks like a Daewoo or Citroen
charliemike is offline  
Old 11-18-2004, 07:03 PM
  #163  
Registered Member
 
KavexTrax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 8,544
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Honda Civic" in the non-american markets, "Acura EL" most likely in the north american market.

So much for brand distinction between the premium brand and the common brand.
KavexTrax is offline  
Old 11-18-2004, 07:46 PM
  #164  
Registered Member
 
Justin.CL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Knoxville TN
Age: 36
Posts: 768
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by charliemike
Looks like a Daewoo or Citroen
The spyshot pic screams Daewoo.
Justin.CL is offline  
Old 11-18-2004, 08:13 PM
  #165  
LiQUiD iCE
 
LiQiCE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Potomac Falls, VA
Posts: 2,867
Thanked 83 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by KavexTrax
"Honda Civic" in the non-american markets, "Acura EL" most likely in the american market.

So much for brand distinction between the premium brand and the common brand.
?????? The Acura EL is for the Canadian market. The current gen Honda Civic is rebadged and sold in Canada today as the Acura EL. It gets a lot of the necessary luxury items added into it to make it worthy of the Acura name of course, just like the TSX.

I'd be surprised if the Honda Civic makes it into the American market as an Acura ... Although with BMW, Audi, and MB all putting out small luxury vehicles I guess it might make sense for Acura to follow suit with a tiny luxury hatchback.
LiQiCE is offline  
Old 11-21-2004, 02:08 AM
  #166  
Senior Moderator
 
Ken1997TL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Better Neighborhood, Arizona
Posts: 45,427
Thanked 2,150 Times in 1,226 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about that hatchback.

I think Honda will sell a wide variety of styles for this 8th generation Civic, some more NA biased, others more EDM and JDM.

Until I see some coupe or sedan pics, I won't judge the Civic.
Ken1997TL is offline  
Old 11-21-2004, 08:57 AM
  #167  
has Gloryhole Girls in
 
phil2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Ballston Lake, NY
Age: 42
Posts: 11,474
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
looks like
phil2 is offline  
Old 11-21-2004, 09:05 AM
  #168  
Blackbird baby..
 
PavDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Cleveland, NoVA
Posts: 1,146
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that's 1 less car to consider..
PavDog is offline  
Old 11-21-2004, 10:07 AM
  #169  
Moderator Alumnus
Thread Starter
 
gavriil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Washington DC (NOVA)
Age: 47
Posts: 16,399
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts


Looking at this pic, it looks like a Ford Ka or Puma from the rear.
gavriil is offline  
Old 11-22-2004, 12:04 AM
  #170  
Registered Member
 
Nato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,125
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
06 Civic spy shot

http://www.channel4.com/4car/gallery...ic_page_7.html

how do you guys like it... im not feeling it at all..
Nato is offline  
Old 11-22-2004, 12:16 AM
  #171  
styling on you
 
SeCsTaC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Los Angeles, California
Age: 29
Posts: 5,275
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
I loved the 96-00 Civics, they looked really nice and clean, dont know about that spyshot but well see how it comes out =D
SeCsTaC is offline  
Old 11-22-2004, 01:15 AM
  #172  
The Third Ball
 
Sarlacc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
Age: 40
Posts: 46,867
Thanked 3,737 Times in 1,984 Posts
Sarlacc is offline  
Old 11-22-2004, 06:21 PM
  #173  
Moderator Alumnus
Thread Starter
 
gavriil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Washington DC (NOVA)
Age: 47
Posts: 16,399
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
gavriil is offline  
Old 12-04-2004, 09:40 PM
  #174  
TSX Addict
 
Power1Pete's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 395
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by heyitsme
Hope Honda can do better than that mag.
Power1Pete is offline  
Old 12-11-2004, 07:53 AM
  #175  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Toronto_CA
Age: 42
Posts: 200
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dozorca is offline  
Old 12-11-2004, 07:54 AM
  #176  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Toronto_CA
Age: 42
Posts: 200
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2.4L @ 250hp... I like it like that!
dozorca is offline  
Old 12-11-2004, 08:39 AM
  #177  
04 remembrance
 
iamhomin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 5,681
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dozorca
2.4L @ 250hp... I like it like that!


That's some for ya.
iamhomin is offline  
Old 12-11-2004, 08:51 AM
  #178  
Fahrvergnügen'd
 
charliemike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Maryland
Age: 47
Posts: 13,064
Thanked 1,384 Times in 859 Posts
Riiiiiight ... I'll believe it when I see it
charliemike is offline  
Old 12-11-2004, 08:53 AM
  #179  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Toronto_CA
Age: 42
Posts: 200
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by charliemike
Riiiiiight ... I'll believe it when I see it
What's the last gen Euro Accord-R at? 2.2L @ 220hp? I think that they can squeeze 250 from 2.4
dozorca is offline  
Old 12-11-2004, 09:45 AM
  #180  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: philly
Posts: 4,426
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The tsx would get 250 way before a civic ever would here. I'd expect around 200 as a top model.
heyitsme is offline  
Old 12-11-2004, 10:44 AM
  #181  
Moderator Alumnus
Thread Starter
 
gavriil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Washington DC (NOVA)
Age: 47
Posts: 16,399
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I do believe the above engine rumors as viable.
gavriil is offline  
Old 12-11-2004, 11:51 AM
  #182  
Duck Fuke!
 
jts1207's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Back in NC
Age: 43
Posts: 3,975
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
I cant see having the S2000 at 240hp and a Civic at 250hp?
jts1207 is offline  
Old 12-11-2004, 11:56 AM
  #183  
Pinky all stinky
 
phile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 20,499
Thanked 118 Times in 71 Posts
Awe crap, I had some hope for it with the initial spy pics, but now it looks fugly. Even with standard 17", those wheels still look tiny.
phile is offline  
Old 12-11-2004, 12:30 PM
  #184  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Toronto_CA
Age: 42
Posts: 200
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jts1207
I cant see having the S2000 at 240hp and a Civic at 250hp?
The 2.2L S2000 is 250 (dyno proven). It's underrated by Honda.


Here is 2.0 vs 2.2L



218.6 @ (lets say) 16% loss = 253.6 hp
dozorca is offline  
Old 12-11-2004, 12:34 PM
  #185  
Duck Fuke!
 
jts1207's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Back in NC
Age: 43
Posts: 3,975
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dozorca
The 2.2L S2000 is 250 (dyno proven). It's underrated by Honda.


Here is 2.0 vs 2.2L



218.6 @ (lets say) 16% loss = 253.6 hp



Ok, then a 250hp S2000 and a 250hp Civic.
jts1207 is offline  
Old 12-11-2004, 12:48 PM
  #186  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Toronto_CA
Age: 42
Posts: 200
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jts1207
Ok, then a 250hp S2000 and a 250hp Civic.
dozorca is offline  
Old 12-11-2004, 01:15 PM
  #187  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: philly
Posts: 4,426
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dozorca
The 2.2L S2000 is 250 (dyno proven). It's underrated by Honda.


Here is 2.0 vs 2.2L



218.6 @ (lets say) 16% loss = 253.6 hp

Well I question the reliability of that dyno considering nothing is identified, if anything I would guess one car to be modded and the other to be stock. 2nd the s2000 could make 260hp and a 250hp civic in the us still wouldn't make any sense.
heyitsme is offline  
Old 12-11-2004, 01:53 PM
  #188  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Toronto_CA
Age: 42
Posts: 200
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by heyitsme
Well I question the reliability of that dyno considering nothing is identified, if anything I would guess one car to be modded and the other to be stock. 2nd the s2000 could make 260hp and a 250hp civic in the us still wouldn't make any sense.
Taken directly from S2KI.com forums. I searched for "dyno". The arguement that you proposed was also raised and backed by the owner. Other
owners on the site had similar numbers. i was going to provide more detail, but this thread isn't about s2000.

I don't think it makes sense to have a 250hp civic in US and we most likely won't get that here, but the rest of the world is another story.
dozorca is offline  
Old 12-11-2004, 04:30 PM
  #189  
LiQUiD iCE
 
LiQiCE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Potomac Falls, VA
Posts: 2,867
Thanked 83 Times in 43 Posts
I own an '04 S2000, and while its true, the '04 S2000s usually dyno more than the 00-03s, they aren't any faster 0-60 or in the 1/4 mile. They're generally speaking about equal.

That said, a 250hp civic sounds awesome but it also would alienate Honda's luxury division (Acura) where the RSX only makes 210hp and the hot-selling TSX only makes 200hp. All rumors point to the TSX getting a hp bump in '06 along with the 3 year refresh for the TSX, but I'd be damn surprised to see the Civic Type-R hatchback making 250hp in the USA. It might make sense in Europe where the Civic Type-R already exists. I wouldn't be surprised to see the same 2.4L engine go into the re-designed TSX in the USA though with maybe a watered down Civic Si Hatchback version coming to the USA with 200-230hp.

Like others have said, it also doesn't make sense in terms of the S2000, which is currently advertised at 240hp. Look at the TL which Acura could have released the TL with 300hp but didn't since they didn't want to step on the RL/NSX's toes I'd be surprised if they did the same in the Honda lineup.

Of course, in favor of it, the S2000 is advertised @ 240hp, but so is the V6 Accord, and the new Hybrid Accord puts down more hp than the S2000.

Will definitely be interesting to see what happens.
LiQiCE is offline  
Old 12-11-2004, 09:09 PM
  #190  
Moderator Alumnus
Thread Starter
 
gavriil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Washington DC (NOVA)
Age: 47
Posts: 16,399
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The article is very clear. The 250HP would be in the case of the Type R, which we dont get here in the USA and if we did, it'd be in a new class of vehicles. Like go against the new gen. Gold R36, etc. In Europe they get it and it goes against the Focus RS, Clios, etc. So 250 make sense there. Plus by the time the Type R is available it will probably be two years from now.
gavriil is offline  
Old 12-11-2004, 09:14 PM
  #191  
Moderator Alumnus
Thread Starter
 
gavriil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Washington DC (NOVA)
Age: 47
Posts: 16,399
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LiQiCE
Look at the TL which Acura could have released the TL with 300hp but didn't since they didn't want to step on the RL/NSX's toes I'd be surprised if they did the same in the Honda lineup.
I cant imagine someone within Honda/Acura saying "no please detune the TL by 30HP because it steps in the toes of the RL and the NSX". Especially the NSX. I just cant think of a prospect NSX buyer thinking of getting in a TL if it made 300HP. I am sure you agree.

You guys pay too much attention to the claimed HP of a car. If the car is different enough, targeted at distinct markets, HP is secondary. A good example is the Z vs. the G35C. I mean, these cars have so many similarities, yet they are both offered by the same company. The target market is distinctly different, surely with some overlap, but distinct enough to justify the offering of both products.

Even if we got a 250HP Type R Civic, I just dont see how the S2000 would be severly canibalized. They are such different cars, one a roadster the other a hatchback (or even sedan/coupe). HP alone wont cut it.
gavriil is offline  
Old 12-11-2004, 09:16 PM
  #192  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: philly
Posts: 4,426
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I understood u meant R, but I remember an article from a while back that the next civic typeR in europe would be ima .
heyitsme is offline  
Old 12-12-2004, 07:05 AM
  #193  
LiQUiD iCE
 
LiQiCE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Potomac Falls, VA
Posts: 2,867
Thanked 83 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by gavriil
I cant imagine someone within Honda/Acura saying "no please detune the TL by 30HP because it steps in the toes of the RL and the NSX". Especially the NSX. I just cant think of a prospect NSX buyer thinking of getting in a TL if it made 300HP. I am sure you agree.

You guys pay too much attention to the claimed HP of a car. If the car is different enough, targeted at distinct markets, HP is secondary. A good example is the Z vs. the G35C. I mean, these cars have so many similarities, yet they are both offered by the same company. The target market is distinctly different, surely with some overlap, but distinct enough to justify the offering of both products.

Even if we got a 250HP Type R Civic, I just dont see how the S2000 would be severly canibalized. They are such different cars, one a roadster the other a hatchback (or even sedan/coupe). HP alone wont cut it.
I think its not necessarily cutting into sales ... its marketability for their "top of the line" cars. There was an article saying that they had the TL's engine running at 300hp but they decided to back it off to 270hp .. can't remember where I read that article now, but the quote was from a Honda employee.

The problem with the NSX is you're paying $80k for a car, and if it makes the "same" horsepower as a $30k TL, don't you think you'd be a little bit upset?

I know to the informed buyer, hp doesn't make as much of a difference and hell hp/weight ratio and area under the curve are even more important than just plain hp ... But the average American uses horsepower as an important number when they buy. Just like PC users use Mhz/Ghz on the speed of a computer ... horsepower is used for cars. Sure if I'm looking for a 4-door sedan, I'm not going to be cross shopping the NSX. But if I'm shopping for an NSX, I might be put off by the fact that Acura sells 2 other cars with the same horsepower for half the price.

The S2000/Civic Type R is a closer comparison ... yeah one is a roadster and the other is a compact hatchback/coupe, but I wouldn't be surprised if people would cross shop them. They're not so different except maybe in terms of price.

I'm not gonna spectulate on whether or not they're definitely going to bring the Civic Type R to the USA or not ... but I'd be surprised if they did.
LiQiCE is offline  
Old 12-12-2004, 11:44 AM
  #194  
Moderator Alumnus
Thread Starter
 
gavriil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Washington DC (NOVA)
Age: 47
Posts: 16,399
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LiQiCE
I think its not necessarily cutting into sales ... its marketability for their "top of the line" cars. There was an article saying that they had the TL's engine running at 300hp but they decided to back it off to 270hp .. can't remember where I read that article now, but the quote was from a Honda employee.

The problem with the NSX is you're paying $80k for a car, and if it makes the "same" horsepower as a $30k TL, don't you think you'd be a little bit upset?

I know to the informed buyer, hp doesn't make as much of a difference and hell hp/weight ratio and area under the curve are even more important than just plain hp ... But the average American uses horsepower as an important number when they buy. Just like PC users use Mhz/Ghz on the speed of a computer ... horsepower is used for cars. Sure if I'm looking for a 4-door sedan, I'm not going to be cross shopping the NSX. But if I'm shopping for an NSX, I might be put off by the fact that Acura sells 2 other cars with the same horsepower for half the price.

The S2000/Civic Type R is a closer comparison ... yeah one is a roadster and the other is a compact hatchback/coupe, but I wouldn't be surprised if people would cross shop them. They're not so different except maybe in terms of price.

I'm not gonna spectulate on whether or not they're definitely going to bring the Civic Type R to the USA or not ... but I'd be surprised if they did.

The prospect NSX buyer will not even care about the HP of the TL. Because if he were put off by that then he should be even more put off that the STi makes more HP than his 90K car.

The NSX's situation is a little unique due to the very low total HP from that engine for the known reasons, so this example is not really good. If Honda updated the NSX "properly" and followed the industry's trent it'd be making at least 390HP so the TL's 270 would have been a moot point.

But again, I disagree, the NSX buyer is not buying the NSX for its engine, but for all the other great things that make that car special. He wont care about the TL, nor the RL.

When you read that article about the TL's engine making 300HP, did they say why they detuned it? Or did it just say that they detuned it?

Finally, the RL makes 10 more HP than the NSX, why didnt they detune that one too?
gavriil is offline  
Old 12-12-2004, 12:22 PM
  #195  
fap fap fap
 
Infamous425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Kirkland
Age: 38
Posts: 4,239
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
its unlike them to put a 2.4 in a civic. whats the engine size now? 1.8? 2.0? the next engine realistically should be a retuned 2.0 or a 2.2
Infamous425 is offline  
Old 12-12-2004, 01:34 PM
  #196  
goldmemberererer
 
goldmemberer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: West Hills, CA
Posts: 1,736
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Honda, if they should muster up the juevos to release this vehicle, is trying to break out of the cycle that they're stuck in. The too-safe and conservative-up-the-ass cycle. That engine sounds very believable, and any/all S2000 owners should be jumping out of their seats, cause... just imagine what this means for your cars in the future.

As for the Civic in the pic... fuck! The headlights are too TSX! I hate that Honda and Acura designs seem to converge to the same point instead of taking two different directions. But I guess that's what happens when "two" car manufacturers reside under one umbrella.
goldmemberer is offline  
Old 12-13-2004, 07:56 PM
  #197  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: H-town
Posts: 1,010
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i would like to see 250hp or more in the RSX b4 in the civic
MaximaPower is offline  
Old 12-14-2004, 11:18 AM
  #198  
Cost Drivers!!!!
 
Zapata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: burbs of philly
Age: 41
Posts: 19,393
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Infamous425
its unlike them to put a 2.4 in a civic. whats the engine size now? 1.8? 2.0? the next engine realistically should be a retuned 2.0 or a 2.2

civic is stil using the old d-series engine. The new refresh it should move over to the K-series. It only makes sense as the accord and CRV are both using a K2x variant. Honda is consolidating their engine with 1 for smaller cars and 1 for larger. K series for the 4 banger and J series for the v6s. Civic displacement will be ATLEAST 2.0 as the base RSX and civic Si.
Zapata is offline  
Old 12-14-2004, 11:35 AM
  #199  
Kabachitare!
 
kansaiwalker1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 936
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
250 hp is nice but in the US we will probably get ~210hp watered down editions.
kansaiwalker1 is offline  
Old 12-14-2004, 11:40 AM
  #200  
'Big Daddy Diggler'
 
bigman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Yonkers NY
Age: 37
Posts: 11,018
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
the lower rear bumper screams 04 TL
bigman is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Honda: Civic News


Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.