Honda: Civic News

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 04:01 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
I had a 435 GC just recently in Germany. What a nice car. It's the kind of car you HAVE to read the owners manual through and through, because it has so much tech packed into it.

The only downside I saw was that it has paddle shifters. With 8 gears, you're shifting so often it actually takes the fun out of it. I just let the auto tranny do its own magic. Though I did love putting it into "sport" mode
I played around with the 8AT in the new BMWs. I find just cruising around, if you actually want to manually shift, the lever is nicer to use. But in the twisties, the paddles are nice.

But sport mode is great, still one of the best true automatics I've ever driven.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:21 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
I had a 435 GC just recently in Germany. What a nice car. It's the kind of car you HAVE to read the owners manual through and through, because it has so much tech packed into it.

The only downside I saw was that it has paddle shifters. With 8 gears, you're shifting so often it actually takes the fun out of it. I just let the auto tranny do its own magic. Though I did love putting it into "sport" mode
I think i used the paddle shifter only once in the last 20k miles... I drive it like what it is, an automatic but the Sport auto + Sport+ does have some brutal shifting tho.. not sure if you tried it.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:25 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by kurtatx
I'm totally jonesing one of those. Do you like it?
Yes A LOT more than the F30 335i i had.

What is there not to like? A coupe look with 4 door and a big hatch in the back. A perfect combination the best of Coupe, Hatchback and Sedan have to offer if you ask me
The following 2 users liked this post by oonowindoo:
justnspace (03-10-2017), kurtatx (01-31-2017)
Old 01-31-2017, 04:47 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Originally Posted by oonowindoo
I think i used the paddle shifter only once in the last 20k miles... I drive it like what it is, an automatic but the Sport auto + Sport+ does have some brutal shifting tho.. not sure if you tried it.
Have you ever seen some German words? They simply take a word and tack other words into it to make super words. Seriously, it's not uncommon to see words with like 15-20 letters in them.

Going through the menu, I had no fucking clue what I was looking at half the time. (I could have asked the wife to translate, but that's like stopping to ask someone for directions. It ain't happening ) From what I could gather, the Sport+ mode disables all traction control, which was not something I was willing to fuck around in, in a 70k € car that didn't even belong to me
Old 01-31-2017, 04:52 PM
Team Owner

You read the hard copy? The user manual is embedded in video format in the iDrive. You could watch it... but still you would not understand anyway

Sport+ does not disable traction, it reduced restrictions. In order to truly disable it, you have to hold the traction control button for 5 secs.

anyways, back to Civics

Last edited by oonowindoo; 01-31-2017 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:56 PM
Team Owner

No I didn't read it. I was just looking at the smorgasbord of words that came up on the screen. It looked like it disabled all traction control (at least that's what I gathered) though I could be completely wrong. I didn't want to find out like the CTSV/STSV guys did
Old 01-31-2017, 04:58 PM
Team Owner

next time.. Try Sport Auto (shifter to the left) and Sport+, you would swear that you are driving a DCT, even the shifting sound is the same.
The following 2 users liked this post by oonowindoo:
00TL-P3.2 (02-01-2017), TacoBello (01-31-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 10:29 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,026 Likes on 2,504 Posts
The 8th Gen Civic is not very well built to start with, especially the earlier 06-08 ones. The brake, 3rd brake light, shocks, engine mounts all have been replaced within the first 40k miles.... it has 90k now...
Now i suspect the bushings are going out too, some metal things are hitting each other under the car while she is turning at low speed and not the mention the horrible paint quality (dark colors ones had a recall, light colors didn't), paint on the roof started to chip at after 5 years. Engine is strong but everything else is starting to fall apart.

That is why i am trying to convince her since she really dislike Civics because of her experience.
My brother's 8G Civic has 110k miles and only the POS sun visor is the only problem. His 3rd Civic and has been like his other two Civic's (one being a CRX) being very reliable and durable.

I think 8th gen and 9th gen are very similar in quality. Oh not to mention the infamous sunvisor.. it literally popped

Anyways. Can't think of any other car around $22k with that kind of performance and overall package as the Civic HB.
My parents and older daughter had 9G Civic's, both were OK from a reliability but I'll admit the interior material quality and layout was not great and it's styling was fugly.
Neither had any problems so IMO the Honda quality slipping is just a misnomer.

Both 9G Civic's are gone now. My mom broke her hip and replaced her Civic with a 2016 CRV since it's easier to get in and out of.
My daughters 9G was in a flood that totally it in Ellicott City MD last summer and she replaced it with a 10G Civic which is so much better in every way.
I've been meaning to do a little write-up on her 10G but have been busy.

and once again I reiterate that Honda reliability is shit these days. Of course TLX owners will tell me I'm an idiot and don't know anything, but it's shit like this that NEVER used to happen. My 1992 Civic Si with 400,000km when I sold it never needed a single bushing replaced. These days, it's required every 100,000km. But apparently that's considered normal and once again I don't know anything
My wife's 2003 Pilot is at 290K miles and has had only a few minor things break (window lift and power door lock actuator), along with some wear items (3 wheel bearings, 2 front driveshafts, and all the front suspension bushings in the last couple years).
That's not bad for almost 15 year old SUV with 290k miles that still has the original 5AT transaxle and J35 motor.

Originally Posted by Costco
Has Honda experienced abnormal growth in the past decade or so? Or perhaps they have undergone a change in strategy. I have heard a few times that a lot of German makes engineer parts like bushings to last X miles with the most optimum performance, ultimate longevity be damned. Would explain how certain systems fall apart so much on them with age/mileage.

The reason why I bring it up is I remember Toyota underwent literal growing pains as well with the myriad of recalls in the past decade. They were also once known for their bulletproof reliability, especially the engines... then you have the 2.4L AZ L4s and 5.7L UR V8s having oil consumption and camshaft failures (how often does that happen from the factory?), respectively. Their sales also increased dramatically before and during this period, IIRC.
Don't know anything about Toyota but from what I've read, heard and seen Honda reliability is still very high. I know some other Honda owners and I've seen nothing that tends to show the quality is slipping except for the awful 5AT transaxle from early 2000's.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 02-01-2017 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:12 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
kinda cool that Hondata has flash-tunes for the civic already.
the flash upped the boost and bumped up the torque to 241 from 162, HP from 174 to 213.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB_YVVgvuFo

will be interesting to see results on the sport version, Si, and type-R!
Old 02-06-2017, 10:46 AM
99 TL, 06 E350

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts
On the subject of the Civic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFZfqgHBwo4
Old 02-06-2017, 11:12 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by justnspace
kinda cool that Hondata has flash-tunes for the civic already.
the flash upped the boost and bumped up the torque to 241 from 162, HP from 174 to 213.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB_YVVgvuFo

will be interesting to see results on the sport version, Si, and type-R!
That's crazy power, from a 1.5L. The horsepower is nice, but it's that torque that'll make you feel like you're piloting a rocket ship!

Yay, no more torque-lacking 4 banger Hondas!!
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (02-06-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 11:16 AM

in the video, dude was like...OMG it's pushing me into my seat....yep, thats the torque talking
TacoBello (02-06-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 11:20 AM
Team Owner

I wonder though... I think we all kind of figured that Honda wouldn't push the envelop on the 1.5T tuning. For the class of vehicles they're using that engine in, the power is more than enough.

I'm guessing the Si will use the 1.5T also, no? If so, I think Honda will just revise the tune, much like Hondata did. So the chances of pulling crazy more power out of it are likely limited, unless you start doing all sorts of bolt ons. Even so... how much more boost does one want to put through a 1.5T? It's already making some pretty crazy numbers, after Hondata played with it.

And then for the 2.0T in the CTR... I'm sure you can squeeze more out, but it's already likely way more high strung than the 1.5T Hondata was playing with. At 305-320hp, out of a 2.0... man.. that's pretty high. I'd be nervous about the longevity of the engine, if you were to push it way past that. I dunno. I guess I'll let the young guys who buy these cars be the guinea pigs
justnspace (02-06-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 11:26 AM

you're right, I didnt think of it like that!
plus it was the weekend, and i was just watching youtube videos.

(and that's where I saw multiple auto journals reporting the NSX inventory issue, on youtube)
Old 02-06-2017, 11:28 AM
Team Owner

We need to find a bunch of 18-21 year olds to buy these and play with the boost. Then sit back and wait for results.

Hey, we're much too responsible these days to do something like that!
Old 02-06-2017, 11:38 AM

that's the crazy thing tho...I dont know too many 18 year olds who can afford a civic
I can't even afford a new civic
Old 02-06-2017, 11:49 AM
Team Owner

What? Afford?

Look, these 18-21 year Olds are easily influenced. Just tell them that getting a high interest loan is the cool thing to do.

Like this guy I know, who had an STS-V...
justnspace (02-06-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 11:51 AM

now, that is the smart thing to do!
Old 02-06-2017, 12:07 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
There's another HondaPro Jason video on Youtube with the dude driving the flash pro tuned civic 6MT at an autocross (stock everything else). He couldn't even use 2nd gear as he would just be spinning the wheels....lol...too much torque for FWD with stock shxty tires.

To ensure reliability is almost as good as stock, Hondata's tunes are usually on the conservative side. I think they sell that tune as a reflash too, so you can bet tons of people will have that 213hp/241lbft tune, meaning Hondata most likely didn't go for max power/torque.

The Si WILL have the 1.5T. But it will probably get a sportier intake, freer flowing exhaust, better cooling, and may be some other hardware changes. I'm guessing it will be around 210hp (so Honda can claim most powerful Si ever.....lol) without having as much boost as the Hondata tuned normal Civic 1.5T.
justnspace (02-06-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 12:10 PM

interesting!!!

would loved to be surprised by a 241lb-ft tq civic!!!!!!!!
like holy chit, what was that!??
Old 02-06-2017, 12:20 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

My friend ordered a Civic 1.5T and it was just built last week and is on its way from England. He plans to get Flashpro so hopefully he will do more with it
Old 03-07-2017, 08:58 AM

Received 5,293 Likes on 3,627 Posts
Blimey. It's the new Honda Civic Type R | Top Gear

All-new Type R has arrived. And my, isn't it shouty...

Those of you who dared hope the new Honda Civic Type R would look exactly like the concept that previewed it are in luck, because it does, doesn’t it? Besides the colour, the white, production-ready car that tops this page looks more or less identical to the satin grey Type R Concept from last year’s Paris Motor Show – the car we said had “a bit of a Subaru Impreza vibe”, and the car you fawned over in your thousands in Internet comments sections.

Let’s start with the headlines. Though the turbocharged, 2.0-litre four-cylinder engine is broadly the same as the outgoing car’s, an ECU tweak and a new exhaust mean power is up by 10bhp. This means totals of 316bhp and the same 295lb ft as the old car, putting it 10bhp ahead of the VW Golf R and 29bhp behind the lardier Ford Focus RS. This is not a colossal gain, but then Honda isn’t really trying to go after the AWD Audi RS3 or Mercedes A45…

Because the Type R is not about outright power. And after all, it remains a front-wheel drive car. Hideki Kakinuma, Assistant Project Lead for the Type R, tells us through an interpreter that while Honda never considered giving it all-wheel drive, his team “took a close look” at others’ AWD systems because they are “interested in how the competitors are using this technology”.

The gearbox was one of the last Type R’s real strengths. We’ve sat in the new one and rowed the lever back and forth a bit, and we can confirm that yes, the physical shift action of the six-speed manual still feels pretty good. And so it should, because it’s the same gearbox. There’s a rev-matching feature now too, like you get on a 911 R or, erm, Mini Cooper.

Still, it can be deactivated (independently of the ESC, we’re told, which isn’t always the case) for those who are blessed of three feet, or can operate the two they have with the necessary dexterity. For now, there’s no auto option. We ask Kakinuma-san whether he felt any pressure from the USA – because yes, this Type R will be sold there – to offer an automatic. “We did not” he replies.

This new Type R is, of course, based on the all-new Civic. So, torsional rigidity is up by 38 per cent on the old R, and you get independent, multi-link rear suspension (with special, more rigid suspension arms for the R) rather than the old car’s Torsion Beam, and all the benefits that brings. Kakinuma-san says the new suspension means “improved stability and drivability,” and that they “also increase[ed] the wheelbase and track so we can have a lower and wider vehicle”.

An unexpected benefit of the new platform is noise. Kakinuma-san is “aware of the complaints” about the outgoing Type R’s unremarkable exhaust note. The new platform, he says, has “better sound proofing and isolation capabilities as well”, which has enabled them to “improve the sound quality of the exhaust”, making it more exciting and yet, “quieter and more comfortable at low- and mid-speeds”. And no, none of that noise will be piped through the speakers.

To our eyes, this is a more harmonious-looking car than the one it replaces. Admittedly that car was shoehorned into the end of a long production cycle and this generation of Civic was developed to accommodate a Type R from the very beginning, but still. Honda insists all that crazy aero is functional and necessary. This is a more aerodynamic car – with a smoother underbody and ‘vortex generators’, making for a claimed best-in-class balance between lift and drag, more downforce and thus and greater stability at speed.

A real bugbear we had with the old car was with its somewhat limited set of driving modes. It had one. It was called R+, and it gave a sharper throttle response (like) but firmed up the adaptive dampers so much the car became basically unusable on public roads (dislike). This new one has a base Comfort mode, R+ and an intermediary Sport mode. The new platform and multi-link rear has enabled Honda to deliver a greater spectrum of damping modes, which it hopes will appeal to a broader range of customers. So, R+ is somehow even firmer, Comfort softer than the old R ever was, and Sport sits somewhere in the middle.

And no, there’s no mode that lets you cherry-pick, say, the softest dampers and the fightiest engine, like you can in a Golf R. Why? Because Honda doesn’t want you to mess it up. Kakinuma-san says a configurable mode wouldn’t “bring out the best in the Type R”.

One last thing – the Nurburgring. The outgoing Type R held the FWD record for, ooh about five minutes, between the Seat Leon Cupra and Golf GTI Clubsport S. “Some competitors are going in a really aggressive direction. Taking out the rear-seats, using sticky tyres so they can boost the performance on this racetrack,” says Kakinuma-san, coyly. “But we didn’t really want to go in that direction. We would rather strike a right balance between aggressiveness and comfort to appeal to a broader range of customers. That is our approach.” There’s no doubt in our mind that Honda’s going for the record, but when asked all anyone will say is “watch this space”. So, Honda, watch this space we shall.

As of the Geneva Motor Show, European order books are open. If you order a car now, pending any manufacturing delays, you’ll probably get it in July. The Americans will get theirs a month or so earlier, while the Japanese will have to wait until the end of summer. All will be built at Honda’s plant in Swindon, right here in the UK. Bring on the summer.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:58 AM

Old 03-07-2017, 10:00 AM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
Nope. That back end is hideous.

Im sure its a hoot to drive, interior is great, front look decent. But its too teenager rice rocket, fast and the furious for my old ass. Its a car priced for adults with looks for kids.

I'd rather have a Golf R or Focus RS.
RPhilMan1 (03-07-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 10:16 AM

I'd have the FoRS over the CTR.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:29 AM
Team Owner

If only I was 16 again
Old 03-07-2017, 10:40 AM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Would look so much better with those plastic openings in the rear bumper shaved and body colored.

Other than that, I like the ricey look a lot. Pretty interior as well.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:50 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by kurtatx
There's no style to it. The whole damn thing looks like a Gigapet
Old 03-07-2017, 11:37 AM
Team Owner

I am sure it will be fun to drive and it actually looks pretty good for what it is.... i just wish they could tune the exterior down a little if they want to attract more customers than just HS students.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:38 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,657 Likes on 2,491 Posts
Hopefully the motor is better than Hondas offering in F1 right now
Old 03-07-2017, 12:41 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,287 Likes on 952 Posts
Honda claims they'll retake the Nurburgring FWD title again.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:44 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
Originally Posted by Doom878
Honda claims they'll retake the Nurburgring FWD title again.
With almost 300lbs of torque...let them.

I for one, wouldn't not want to deal with that torque steer, and with that much I would think it could be a safety issue in some instances. All pertaining to regular street driving/shenanigans.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:44 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

This motor is pretty much proven from the 9g CTR...except now it makes ~10hp more.

There's also more and more aftermarket support, with many owners getting 400hp+ with simple mods. But boy 400hp going to the front wheels sounds too crazy for me...

The styling is growing on me....

I think Honda can easily take that FWD title if they just offer the Trofeo R or Sport Cup 2 tires on the CTR as an option like the Focus RS.

But, bringing that title with just normal tires is amazing too.

It has some trick suspension to reduce torque steer. I wonder how bad it is with this setup.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:47 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,454 Likes on 923 Posts
Doesn't the first photo look like RHD and then the subsequent are LHD?

I don't like the three exhaust tips.

Is it too expensive to ask for LED tailights? I see halogen bulbs, right?

Why do they have to carry over the stupid bar across the front grille? Just the mesh grille would look much better.

Automatic parking brake is a disappointment.

Originally Posted by Sarlacc

I for one, wouldn't not want to deal with that torque steer, and with that much I would think it could be a safety issue in some instances. All pertaining to regular street driving/shenanigans.
Agreed, with having over 300lbs of torque right now, I don't want any more power nor do I think it's smart (or fun) for FWD anyway. That's why I won't consider FWD again.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:54 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,287 Likes on 952 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
This motor is pretty much proven from the 9g CTR...except now it makes ~10hp more.

There's also more and more aftermarket support, with many owners getting 400hp+ with simple mods. But boy 400hp going to the front wheels sounds too crazy for me...

The styling is growing on me....

I think Honda can easily take that FWD title if they just offer the Trofeo R or Sport Cup 2 tires on the CTR as an option like the Focus RS.

But, bringing that title with just normal tires is amazing too.

It has some trick suspension to reduce torque steer. I wonder how bad it is with this setup.
Those tires are wack. Just get RLX tires and all you'll do is win win win
Old 03-10-2017, 08:44 AM

CTR 3 outlet exhaust explained (briefly):
Old 03-10-2017, 09:11 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Sarlacc

Originally Posted by iforyou

When I drove the current CTR, I didn't think the torque steer was bad at all. Honda really did some good engineering with the front suspension setup.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:13 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

I envy you man for getting to drive the current CTR!
Old 03-10-2017, 01:38 PM
Team Owner

It was pretty rad. I didn't get much time with it though and there was a bunch of traffic. But, I did get to open it up a bunch of times. No regrats.

It's just the looks... they're painful for me to accept... and this coming from a guy who owns the MMC 370z Nismo.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:09 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

The Nismo 370Z looks pretty nice...I guess I like rice.............

Quick Reply: Honda: Civic News