AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Automotive News (https://acurazine.com/forums/automotive-news-6/)
-   -   Honda: Accord News (https://acurazine.com/forums/automotive-news-6/honda-accord-news-367187/)

biker 02-16-2021 05:19 AM

Legend2TL 03-22-2021 07:34 PM

2020 Honda Accord Production

biker 06-22-2022 12:52 PM

Sedans aren't dead at Honda. The long-running Accord will live to see its eleventh generation, and these spy photos of a camouflaged test car offer our first glimpse of the new model.

At a glance, the overall shape appears quite similar to the current Accord. Sweeping lines with a long, sloping roof remain the order of the day. As such, the sedan's bones could carry over to the new generation, but everything at the front and back will be new. It's easy to see slimmer headlights flanking a grille that looks a bit larger overall. A clearly defined bumper separates the grille from openings in the lower fascia, and the hood looks flatter. The overhang ahead of the front wheels seems shorter as well.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...4c7b3fd7a9.jpg

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...258a4250f4.jpg

Moving to the rear, we think the C-shaped taillights and reflectors of the current model will give away to slimmer lenses. Body sculpting on the trunk lid looks quite similar to the present-day Accord, but it could be a false panel designed to confuse curious onlookers. We can see more false panels on the doors, so while this prototype appears to wear a basic camouflage wrap, there is some trickery going on underneath.

We can see the sedan's proportions aren't changing much, if at all. The wheelbase looks the same, and if the next-gen Accord does feature the current platform, it's likely at least some engine options will carry over. Presently, you can have an Accord with a choice of turbocharged four-cylinder engines, starting with the 1.5-liter making 192 horsepower. The 252-hp 2.0-liter engine is the upgrade, and there's also the Accord Hybrid using a non-turbocharged 2.0-liter with an electric motor for 212 combined hp.

Additional electrified options are likely, though they may not appear at the initial launch.
​​​​​​​
Speaking of which,Hondahas already confirmed the next-gen Accord Hybrid will debut after the new CR-V Hybrid. We know the CR-V is coming later this year as a 2023 model, so it makes sense to expect the Accord to follow shortly thereafter.
Right now, we're targeting an early 2023 debut for the 2024 model year.

2024 Honda Accord Spied For The First Time Hiding Major Redesign (motor1.com)

00TL-P3.2 06-22-2022 01:38 PM

Now former neighbor bought a 10G Hybrid in baby shark (ala @SuperTrooper169 )
Saw him leaving this morning, amazingly quiet.

He had an S5 on order, but it was going to be delayed to Sept. Not sure if he cancelled the order, or still has it & Accord is a stopgap.
His wife has a nice Q8. Still not my thing, would probably have a Q7 instead. When his order switched from an A5 to an S5, she asked why she didn't get the SQ8 option :rofl:

iforyou 06-22-2022 02:29 PM

This is probably gonna be the last gasoline powered Accord.

Legend2TL 06-22-2022 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by iforyou (Post 16825778)
This is probably gonna be the last gasoline powered Accord.

:nod: I could see Honda running the next gen Accord for 6 years depending how US market EV adoption is coming along

civicdrivr 06-22-2022 04:54 PM

It needs to be their last ICE powered Accord.

SamDoe1 06-22-2022 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by civicdrivr (Post 16825808)
It needs to be their last ICE powered Accord.

Probably will be but they'll milk this thing for a decade or so before something new comes out.

I hope they planned ahead with this model for adding in good hybrid and PHEV options.

iforyou 06-23-2022 01:20 PM

My understanding is that Honda is skipping PHEV altogether and go straight to EV. There will be a hybrid version though afaik - probably a tweaked version of what they already have. No point making a new design when they are committed to full EV in a few years from now.

fiatlux 06-23-2022 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by iforyou (Post 16826047)
My understanding is that Honda is skipping PHEV altogether and go straight to EV. There will be a hybrid version though afaik - probably a tweaked version of what they already have. No point making a new design when they are committed to full EV in a few years from now.

Acura said they're skipping PHEV. I don't think there's a world where Honda could possibly do that given that the segment of customers they're courting are in no way able to switch to EVs right now.

Legend2TL 06-23-2022 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by iforyou (Post 16826047)

The 9G Accord had a PHEV and it didn't sell well compared to the HEV version. IDK but I imagine the PHEV was much more money over the HEV. IMO PHEV don't make any practical sense, and full EV are much more practical overall. Really curious what the next gen Accord EV will be like, guessing it'll be a RWD or AWD skateboard type configuration chassis.

SamDoe1 06-23-2022 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Legend2TL (Post 16826093)
The 9G Accord had a PHEV and it didn't sell well compared to the HEV version. IDK but I imagine the PHEV was much more money over the HEV. IMO PHEV don't make any practical sense, and full EV are much more practical overall. Really curious what the next gen Accord EV will be like, guessing it'll be a RWD or AWD skateboard type configuration chassis.

Not true. My wife's parents live 5 hours north of where I live in an area with zero charging infrastructure and no ability to charge at their house. At the same time, the majority of what my wife drives on a daily basis doesn't really exceed 25-30 miles a day. With that said, something that she can drive every day and use little to no gas and also allow us to make that long trip without charging infrastructure is ideal for our purposes. So that means exactly what a PHEV would do is something that would be perfect for us...and probably a lot of others too. Something to run on EV on a day to day basis while still having gas for road trips or anything else.

Legend2TL 06-23-2022 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by SamDoe1 (Post 16826105)
Not true. My wife's parents live 5 hours north of where I live in an area with zero charging infrastructure and no ability to charge at their house. At the same time, the majority of what my wife drives on a daily basis doesn't really exceed 25-30 miles a day. With that said, something that she can drive every day and use little to no gas and also allow us to make that long trip without charging infrastructure is ideal for our purposes. So that means exactly what a PHEV would do is something that would be perfect for us...and probably a lot of others too. Something to run on EV on a day to day basis while still having gas for road trips or anything else.

:shrug: IMO = In My Opinion which there is no true or false, it's just my opinion.

As for your outlier case, I put forth actual sales numbers of HEV, PHEV, and EV from 2016-2020 which shows while there are growth markets for HEV and EV, PHEV market is declining.

(R) 2017 (R) 2018 (R) 2019 2020
Hybrid electric 362,868 338,083 380,794 454,890
Plug-in hybrid-electric 91,188 123,883 85,791 66,157
Electric 104,487 207,062 233,822 240,053

https://www.bts.gov/content/gasoline...-vehicle-sales

00TL-P3.2 06-24-2022 08:48 AM

PHEV (maybe a 4xe) is what I'm thinking for my next car.
I have a few outlier instances where the gas option would be needed, but my morning commute could be made on pure EV mode, but not the drive home.

SamDoe1 06-24-2022 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Legend2TL (Post 16826131)
:shrug: IMO = In My Opinion which there is no true or false, it's just my opinion.

As for your outlier case, I put forth actual sales numbers of HEV, PHEV, and EV from 2016-2020 which shows while there are growth markets for HEV and EV, PHEV market is declining.

(R) 2017 (R) 2018 (R) 2019 2020
Hybrid electric 362,868 338,083 380,794 454,890
Plug-in hybrid-electric 91,188 123,883 85,791 66,157
Electric 104,487 207,062 233,822 240,053

https://www.bts.gov/content/gasoline...-vehicle-sales

That might be more of an artifact of not that many of them on the market and some previous models being pulled...

PHEV is the gateway drug to a real EV.

Legend2TL 06-27-2022 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by SamDoe1 (Post 16826254)
That might be more of an artifact of not that many of them on the market and some previous models being pulled...

PHEV is the gateway drug to a real EV.

It's probably due to many manufacturers dropping PHEV models, although sales increased slightly the PHEV is no where near BEV.
PHEV is so decade ago, today they pale compared to BEV.

biker 06-27-2022 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Legend2TL (Post 16826796)
It's probably due to many manufacturers dropping PHEV models, although sales increased slightly the PHEV is no where near BEV.

Many may not realize that some PHEVs qualify for the $7500 federal tax credit if the battery is big enough - Toyota will run out of the credits very soon even though they never sold a BEV until this year.

SamDoe1 06-27-2022 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Legend2TL (Post 16826796)

Pale in what way? I just told you why a BEV wouldn't work for some people and gave a specific use case for it lol. I'm aware that a 100% EV car has a number of advantages but for those worried about charging locations or running out of range when travelling off the beaten path they make a crap load of sense.

I can't have two EV's but I can definitely have an EV and a PHEV which is better than an EV and a 100% gas car or just a 100% gas car.

Originally Posted by biker (Post 16826856)
Many may not realize that some PHEVs qualify for the $7500 federal tax credit if the battery is big enough - Toyota will run out of the credits very soon even though they never sold a BEV until this year.

Yes, a lot of them do. The Jeep 4xe models definitely do and I believe the Volvo T8's do as well.

00TL-P3.2 06-27-2022 02:10 PM

:nod: Though rare, when I go down to our property in S TX, a BEV would absolutely not work. Little to no EV infrastructure down there & not going to go through the effort to put in the capability down there on 'roughing it' property.
Could probably get down there, but likely couldn't charge enough to get back to civilization.

Legend2TL 06-27-2022 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by SamDoe1 (Post 16826859)
Pale in what way? I just told you why a BEV wouldn't work for some people and gave a specific use case for it lol. I'm aware that a 100% EV car has a number of advantages but for those worried about charging locations or running out of range when travelling off the beaten path they make a crap load of sense.

I can't have two EV's but I can definitely have an EV and a PHEV which is better than an EV and a 100% gas car or just a 100% gas car.

Simple, BHEV have poor sales since most people choose HEV or ultimately BEV probably due to their increased cost of additional battery cost and potentially lack of resident charging.

You may have told me for a outlier case of yours but don't assume it justifies a profitable business case to produce a PHEV for the market. It didn't for GM which ended all PHEV (2G Volt and others) and Honda (ended all their PHEV) Accord but they've continued on with other HEV and BEV.

So don't assume what makes more sense to some people applies to the general car market, for PHEV it doesn't. Even Acura couldn't make enough HEV for their vehicles to keep them in production no matter how impressive they were. The long term future is BEV with the majority currently being ICE with HEV filling in a smaller market share.

Legend2TL 06-27-2022 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by biker (Post 16826856)

:thumbsup: I was curious what the battery size and credit was, the EPA has a good overall list.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/taxevb.shtml

F23A4 06-30-2022 02:33 PM

biker 10-27-2022 06:27 AM

Check it out, everybody — here’s a halfway decent look at the next-gen 2023 Honda Accord. The few shots released today preview what we’ll see in full next month, as Honda plans to reveal the new Accord sometime in November.

In these photos, we get a glimpse of the front, rear and limited view of the interior. As you’d expect from a totally new generation, all the sheetmetal looks brand new. A much bigger grille is present, and the shield/bar design is gone, replaced with a more traditional looking mesh. Thin headlights sit just under the hood line with sharp DRLs highlighting them. The bumper is fairly simple in appearance, and the hood has some subtle creasing to it.

The rear LED taillights are a big departure from the current Accord, and they nearly stretch to a full-width appearance. Instead of being fully connected, the lights stop short of the Honda badge in the center, giving it a framed look. We can also tell that this particular Accord being previewed is the Hybrid model in Touring trim by the rear badge. Honda claims this Accord will have “a more responsive and fun-to-drive hybrid powertrain” than the previous car. That’s nice to hear, though we still rather enjoy the current hybrid system in the Accord.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...87ea6f945f.jpg

On the inside, Honda gives us a glimpse of a new 12.3-inch touchscreen going into the Accord. Honda says it’s the largest touchscreen in any of its cars ever, and the photo sure does highlight that fact. The software system backing what's on the screen is Google-based, Honda says, so the user interface seen here will also be totally new for Honda. We can already see that it's rocking native Google Maps as the navigation system. The Google Assistant and Play Store (app store) are also present in the tiles. Thankfully, a nifty volume knob is still perfectly visible and sits just under the screen.

We can’t see the whole dash or center stack design, but what we can see of it looks simple and classic Honda. The cluster appears to be a fully digital screen, and while there’s just a small corner of the air vent showing, its design already has us intrigued — will it be a massaged version of the Civic’s neat honeycomb look that imitates the grille? We think it might be!

Stay tuned for more, as the new Accord’s reveal isn’t far away at this point.
2023 Honda Accord photos preview its reveal next month - Autoblog

biker 10-27-2022 06:31 AM

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...18e6368ac1.jpg

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...7af21570dc.jpg

oonowindoo 10-27-2022 12:23 PM

:rofl: All i can think of is that Honda really hates Acura

fiatlux 10-27-2022 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by oonowindoo (Post 16851891)

They probably do. Acura is pretty much the antithesis of what Honda is supposed to be, and there's probably some amount of "otherism". Acuras are made in America, designed by Americans, for Americans. It would stand to reason that Honda would rather have their cars shine brighter than those fat American cars.

SamDoe1 10-27-2022 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by oonowindoo (Post 16851891)

Honda probably forgets that Acura even exists lol. That already looks better than all of the Acuras and we can't even see most of it. :rofl:

civicdrivr 11-10-2022 08:23 AM

WTF - no more 2.0T.

The biggest news is under the hood. For 2023, the base engine is a 1.5-liter turbocharged four-cylinder that makes 192 hp and 192 lb-ft of torque. Paired with a CVT, it’s largely unchanged compared to the current 1.5-liter, although Honda says the engine has been “updated with additional refinement and improved emissions performance.” The torquey 2.0-liter turbo, however, is gone from the lineup.Instead, Honda has decided that if you want to step up to something nicer than the Accord LX or EX, you’re getting a hybrid. For 2023, the hybrid Accord pairs a two-motor electric propulsion system with a 2.0-liter naturally aspirated engine for a total of 204 hp and 247 lb-ft of torque.
https://jalopnik.com/2023-honda-acco...nfo-1849763965

At least it looks decent, especially from the rear.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...378a567268.jpg

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...cebc62177a.jpg

fiatlux 11-10-2022 08:36 AM

The TLX is the biggest winner from this reveal.

pttl 11-10-2022 08:44 AM

Looks like a VW Passat.

00TL-P3.2 11-10-2022 08:50 AM

Big bummer to lose the 2.0T, really liked it in the Sport & Touring I drove.
Wonder what the take rate is for 1.5T vs 2.0T

Comfy 11-10-2022 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by civicdrivr (Post 16854169)

If the next Honda looks like this, the next Acura will be even cooler and stylish to keep up. :dunno:

00TL-P3.2 11-10-2022 08:56 AM

I like the front, but the rear is definitely too VW for me.

biker 11-10-2022 09:46 AM

In the pantheon of automotive legends, the Honda Accord has a pedestal right up at the front. Whether measured by sales volume, customer loyalty or overall excellence, it’s been a tough one to beat since it first washed up on North American shores. Now it’s time to see if the 11th-generation, 2023 Honda Accord can keep the streak going.

To call it all-new would not be accurate. The length and track might be different by about a half inch, but the wheelbase, height and width are all the same. So is the colossal 16.7-cubic-foot trunk, and the interior sure seems identically enormous despite the official dimensions not being available at this time. Anecdotally, the silhouette is incredibly similar to the outgoing Accord, with the updated styling amounting to something north of your typical mid-cycle refresh but less than the usual “all-new” from-scratch redesign. It generally looks lower, longer and pointier.

This approach is not dissimilar from what we’ve seen elsewhere in the industry in recent years as car companies divert dollars away from increasingly less popular cars and toward electric R&D. If that’s the case here, then at first look at least, it’s hard to say that the 2023 Honda Accord is worse for it. The previous generation remained so excellent and competitive throughout its life that it was actually surprising to find out that it was due for a replacement (Accords have traditionally lasted five or six years).

https://o.aolcdn.com/images/dims3/GL...nt-profile.jpghttps://o.aolcdn.com/images/dims3/GL...Sport-2.0T.jpg

OK, so besides the styling, what has been changed? The main element is the model structure and what’s under the hood. The LX and EX trims are now exclusively paired with the 1.5-liter turbocharged inline-four that’s been worked over to be more refined and responsive despite the carry-over 192-horsepower output. Its CVT now simulates gear changes under heavy throttle.

The Accord hybrid is no longer a separate model, and instead it's the only powertrain fitted to the Sport, EX-L, Sport-L and Touring trim levels. It’s the same all-new hybrid powertrain that so impressed in the 2023 Honda CR-V, complete with more power (204 horsepower and 247 pound-feet of torque) and simulated gear shifts that dramatically improve drivability relative its predecessors and Toyota’s droning hybrids. Meanwhile, the 2.0-liter turbo-four has been discontinued and don’t bother asking about the manual transmission.

Despite the carry-over platform, the new Accord’s chassis is more rigid thanks to stiffer body supports and front brace bars that apparently improve the ride, handling and overall refinement (note that all of these were very good on the Accord before). The suspension was retuned for a more engaging driving experience, specifically for the purposes of reducing steering friction and increasing steering smoothness (similar efforts were made with success in the CR-V).

https://o.aolcdn.com/images/dims3/GL...g-interior.jpg

Although the interior space remains similar if totally the same, the look has been upgraded by adopting the same sporty motif as the Honda Civic, HR-V and CR-V. The metal-look air vent trim consists of a more triangle-filled lattice that looks a bit more robust and in keeping with a pricier car like the Accord. Materials quality throughout is a step above its aforementioned siblings, though to be accurate, we only got a chance to check out the range-topping Accord Touring trim level.

The Accord also differs from its siblings by offering a new 12.3-inch touchscreen as standard equipment on the hybrid trim levels (the same 7-inch touchscreen found on those siblings is found in the LX and EX). Its widescreen layout allows for split-screen functionality, and rather than menu buttons being docked on the bottom as in Honda’s 7- and 9-inch touchscreens, they are located on the left. They remain docked when using Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, too, which is always appreciated.

You probably won’t need Android Auto in the Accord Touring, however, as it is the first Honda to get Google built-in capability that integrates Google Maps, Google Assistant and the Google Play app menu into the car. Maps in particular seems to be a functional upgrade over what you’d get with the Apple CarPlay version, as the controls are a bit more advanced and indicative of an in-car navi. You don’t need a Google subscription or devices to use it, and Apple CarPlay is still available. We look forward to trying out this new 12.3-inch system, though it’s a shame it’s only available on the Touring. We’re guessing buyers of the new 2023 Honda Pilot will feel a bit short-changed, too.

Other notable tech enhancements include standard over-the-air updates and sharp-looking all-digital instruments, and a new Bose Centerpoint sound system on the Touring. The HondaSensing suite of driver assistance and safety technologies was also upgraded with better cameras and radar, and more natural responses from the adaptive cruise control and lane-keeping assist systems. We’re guessing the improvement leap won’t be as great here with the new Accord as it was with the Civic, CR-V and (likely) new Pilot as the outgoing Accord was already running more up-to-date systems.

Also on the safety front, the Accord now comes standard with front knee airbags and rear passenger side airbags, plus next-generation front airbags designed to reduce brain and neck injuries.
2023 Honda Accord First Look: Not 'all' new, but it probably doesn't matter - Autoblog

RPhilMan1 11-10-2022 01:26 PM

I really dislike that exterior. And the dropping of the 2.0T. Bad moves, Honda.

fiatlux 11-10-2022 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by RPhilMan1 (Post 16854232)
I really dislike that exterior. And the dropping of the 2.0T. Bad moves, Honda.

The thing that makes the car look so awkward to me is the long overhangs on both the front and the rear. My understanding is that the wheelbase is unchanged even the car is about 3 inches longer. I suspect it's riding on the exact same platform as the current gen Accord, which makes me wonder if this isn't really more of a heavy refresh than it is a true redesign. The former wouldn't surprise me, as it's already a great platform, and all that R&D can be used instead on their EV projects.

biker 01-04-2023 01:18 PM

Manufactured with pride in Ohio at the Marysville Auto Plant, the all-new Accord was revealed in November 2022 for the 2023 model year. The first retail units have just arrived at dealers nationwide, sporting a sleeker design, more kit, as well as a highly efficient available hybrid powertrain.
6 photos

“The newest midsize sedan benchmark” comes with a 1.5-liter turbo four-cylinder mill as standard, connected to a continuously variable transmission instead of a stepped transmission such as a torque-converter automatic. Based on the L engine family, this lump is advertised as being smooth and responsible. Improved emissions are promised as well, along with reduced noise, 192 horsepower at 6,000 revolutions per minute, and 192 pound-feet (260 Nm) of torque between 1,700 and 5,000 revolutions.

The numbers aren’t bad per se, but Honda fails to mention that the previous-generation Accord is more frugal. Instead of 33 miles per gallon (7.1 liters per 100 kilometers) on the combined test cycle, split between 30 city and 38 highway, the new-generation Accord makes do with 32 miles to the gallon (7.4 liters per 100 kilometers), as in 29 city and 37 highway.

Said gas mileage figures are shared by the entry-level LX and better-equipped EX trim levels, which retail at $27,295 and $29,610 before the $1,095 destination charge. From the Sport up, the Japanese automaker offers the aforementioned hybrid powertrain. The most you can expect from it would be 48 miles per gallon (4.9 liters per 100 kilometers) for the EX-L trim level, which is 1 mile per gallon better than the 2022 model. The Sport, Sport-L, and Touring grades average 44 mpg (5.3 l/100 km).

The most affordable hybrid-assisted 2023 Honda Accord is $31,895 excluding freight, whereas $37,890 buys you the range-topping Touring. The two-motor hybrid system is joined by a 2.0-liter Atkinson engine. The combined system output is 204 horsepower, which is 2 ponies better than before, and the traction motor can make up to 247 pound-feet (335 Nm).

The question is, what are you getting for your money? For starters, the LX boasts a 10.2-inch digital instrument cluster, 17-inch alloys, 7.0-inch touchscreen infotainment with physical knobs for tuning and volume, LED headlights, Apple CarPlay, and Android Auto. The EX builds on the base trim level with the likes of a one-touch power sliding moonroof, dual-zone automatic climate control, a 10-way power driver’s seat with lumbar control, an 8-speaker audio system, nicer alloys, and heated front seats.

As expected, hybrid customers are getting a few more goodies. The Sport’s highlights kick off with leather on the steering wheel, which should’ve been standard across the board given the nastiness of urethane steering wheels. 19-inch alloys finished in black are featured as well, together with 12.3 inches worth of touchscreen infotainment, wireless CarPlay, and wireless Auto. The EX-L achieves a better combined fuel economy than the Sport by downsizing to 17-inch alloys in Pewter Grey spelled the British way. It further includes leather upholstery for the front and rear seats, as well as parking sensors for both of the vehicle’s ends.

The Sport-L includes a memory driver’s seat, black exterior styling accents, a rear diffuser, 19-inch wheels, and a power passenger seat. What makes the Touring stand out from its peers? Well, how about 12 speakers from Bose? The standard features list further comprises a head-up display, 15W wireless charging for your phone, 5G Wi-Fi hotspot capability, heated and ventilated front seats, and heated outboard seats in the rear.
2023 Honda Accord Now Arriving at U.S. Dealers, Base Trim Level Priced at $27,295 - autoevolution

Legend2TL 02-07-2023 10:25 AM

2023 Honda Accord First Drive Review: New enough to stay at the top

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/2023-hon...140000632.html

F23A4 02-07-2023 06:41 PM

F23A4 02-07-2023 06:41 PM