View Poll Results: What do you like Better?
Accord Concept Rims and Bodykit
73.97%
2004 Acura TL A-Spec Bodykit and Rims
26.03%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Honda: Accord News

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 03:52 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TOV fourms Accord has some posts from people that have driven the new accord and coupe....for what it is worth
Old 09-29-2007, 07:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by agranado
The sedan is fucking huge. Looks like a god damn truck up front.
I finally saw an '08 on the Jersey Turnpike on Wednesday. I passed it at about 75, so I didn't get a great look at it, but it surprisingly doesn't look as big in person as it does in the pics, and I also thought it looked better in person as well. It's not downright gorgeous like "I have to have that car" or anything, but I did feel it looked better than the pictures have shown. And honestly, I don't think we've ever had or ever will have an Accord that has looks that people over.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
I caught a glimpse of an 08 EX-L V6 sedan on a street near my home and honestly, it has much more 'presence' than my 07....which is not exactly hard to pull off. Although I am not certain if I love or hate the rear end, it is a nicer looking car than the 7G.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:22 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
I finally saw an '08 on the Jersey Turnpike on Wednesday. I passed it at about 75, so I didn't get a great look at it, but it surprisingly doesn't look as big in person as it does in the pics, and I also thought it looked better in person as well. It's not downright gorgeous like "I have to have that car" or anything, but I did feel it looked better than the pictures have shown. And honestly, I don't think we've ever had or ever will have an Accord that has looks that people over.
how about the Euro Accord?
Old 09-30-2007, 08:16 AM
Racer

http://www.vtec.net/forums/one-messa...sage_id=712111
Old 09-30-2007, 09:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
how about the Euro Accord?
I "had to have this car" when I saw pics of the TSX back in 03, but everyone has their own tastes, so it varies. Hopefully the next one will be nice, too.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mizouse
i could care less, personally i would rather not have intelligent key, cause if you're near your car some random douche bag could run up to your car and hop on in. and being your key is in your pocket you cant quickly lock it or press a panic button etc...

ohh and BMWs dont come with intelligent key standard. you have to pay for it as an option. and it works the same as the RL, mercedes etc..
Are you serious? Can you go ahead and just re-read what you just typed?

What's the difference between you remotely unlocking your car with the key fob?
In fact, that range on these aren't as far as you think. You have to be several feet from the car for it to unlock.
Most people remotely unlock their car from 10+ feet away - but at least they have a choice right?
Old 09-30-2007, 09:10 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
I just saw my first 08 Accord sedan on the street today. It was in NBP. Good grief, it was beautiful! You know, it looked more like a luxury car than a family sedan. Much more sophisticated and refined-looking than any Camry or Altima.

BTW, it did not look huge. I really am not sure why some stated that it was too huge etc. It's the same size as the RL and about the same as the 5 series. No one ever seemed to have complaint about those cars being too huge before...
Old 10-01-2007, 06:07 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by ostrich
I just saw my first 08 Accord sedan on the street today. It was in NBP. Good grief, it was beautiful! You know, it looked more like a luxury car than a family sedan. Much more sophisticated and refined-looking than any Camry or Altima.

BTW, it did not look huge. I really am not sure why some stated that it was too huge etc. It's the same size as the RL and about the same as the 5 series. No one ever seemed to have complaint about those cars being too huge before...
Huge is driving a Pontiac Grand Prix because I had one as a rental. It was so long that it's hard to back up that car due to the length and blind spots.

I have yet to see a new Accord sedan in person or even on the road.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:06 AM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Full Test: 2008 Honda Accord EX V6

Honda's Biggest Accord Ever Is Still an Accord at Heart

By John Pearley Huffman, Contributor Email
Date posted: 09-30-2007

"It's freaking huge!"

"I thought it was a Buick."

"That's way too big to be a Honda. Shouldn't it be, like, an Oldsmobile or something?"

Our week with the new 2008 Honda Accord EX V6 certainly had its share of reaction from the neighbors. Obviously they noticed that Honda has made the Accord larger.

"Holy Toledo," said neighbor Jackson, poking his head in the Honda's open window. "You can hold a circus in here. A circus in here. A circus in here." Jackson is famous for his fake echo imitation. But it was his next question that caught us off guard. "How's it drive?" he said. "Is it still an Accord?"

It is. The new eighth generation of Honda's bread-and-butter sedan may be larger, but it's still very much an Accord.

Bigger, but the Same
Since the Accord's growth has been gradual over the years, the jump up in size with this new generation isn't extreme. The sedan's wheelbase is up 2.3 inches to 110.2 inches, while overall length has gone up 3 inches to 194.1 inches. It's also about an inch wider and an inch taller.

It's enough to swell the passenger volume up to 101 cubic feet, which is just behind the Toyota Camry's allotment. It's also enough for the EPA to qualify the new Accord sedan as a "full-size" car rather than a "compact."

And it looks as big as it is. Through the years, Honda's styling of the Accord has oscillated between conservatism, ultra-conservatism and just plain ugly. Let's call this one conservative with a touch of upscale flair. In top-of-the-line EX trim, our test car looked rich with its low stance, 17-inch alloy wheels and smattering of chrome trim.

It also feels one rung up on the class ladder, a feeling heightened by its huge body-color door handles and the heft of its doors. They close with a Germanic thunk and seal so well it's like opening Tupperware to get inside the car.

More Power, Fewer Emissions
Also larger is the Accord's SOHC 24-valve i-VTEC V6. It grows from 3.0 to 3.5 liters and swells in output from 240 horsepower to 268 hp at 6,200 rpm and 248 pound-feet of torque at 5,000 rpm. The additional power was apparent and appreciated in the EX-level test car, but it's only the start of this engine's talents.

Turn the ignition key and it's almost impossible to hear or feel the V6 come to life. Beyond being uncannily smooth and quiet, this engine is incredibly clean. It meets Tier-2 Bin-2 certification and is CARB-certified as a partial zero-emissions vehicle.

Honda has also equipped the engine with its latest cylinder-deactivation technology — what it calls Variable Cylinder Management (VCM). It allows the engine to run on six, four or three cylinders depending on engine loads and is in large part responsible for the Accord's excellent EPA fuel economy ratings of 19 in the city and 29 on the highway.

We averaged 24.4 mpg in mixed driving and walked away impressed by Honda's VCM system. It worked its 3/4/6-cylinder magic without anyone in the cockpit noticing. The green "ECON" light in the dash is the only clue. Considering the Accord has an 18.5-gallon tank, it's possible to go 450 miles between fill-ups.

Like Butter, Only Creamier
At the test track, the new Accord hit 60 mph in 7.1 seconds and ran the quarter-mile in 15.5 seconds at 91.8 mph. That's a solid improvement over the Accord in our last V6 Family Sedan Comparison Test, but it's still well behind the Camry V6 that whomped to 60 in just 6.5 seconds and scorched the quarter in 14.6 seconds at 97.3 mph.

The Camry's V6 is also rated at 268 hp and the Toyota weighs a little less than the 3,572-pound Accord, but the biggest problem is the Accord's engine electronics. With the standard VSA stability control turned off, the Accord's computer doesn't allow full-throttle acceleration until about 20 mph. At that speed, the car barks the tires and takes off, but by that time any chance of out-sprinting the Toyota is long gone.

Another advantage is the Toyota's six-speed automatic, which allows the car to exploit its V6 more effectively than the Honda's five-speed. It also helps the Camry return very good fuel economy (19 city/28 highway for 2008) without the use of a cylinder-deactivation scheme.

That said, the Accord's five-speed does its daily duties invisibly.

Still the Fun One
Underneath the Accord's larger shell, the essential engineering remains the same. The structure is still a stiff steel unibody, the all-independent suspension still puts double wishbones at all four corners and the transversely mounted engine still drives the front wheels. All of those have been familiar — signature — elements of Accord engineering for at least 22 years. And most date to the car's 1976 inception.

And why not? It all works. During everyday driving, it's hard to tell there's anything mechanical going on. Except for some slight noise from its 225/50R17 Michelin Pilot HXMX4 tires, the new Accord is very quiet during highway runs.

But don't confuse this Honda for a pod with zero entertainment value. Even if its variable-assist power steering feels a bit disconnected, its ride is well controlled and comfortable, and its 61.8-mph slalom speed, 0.81g skid pad orbit and 127 feet from 60-mph stopping distance are solid performances for this class. It's still a front-drive sedan, so understeer is the new Accord's birthright. But the VSA eliminates that under virtually any circumstances. Plus, you can shut it off. Yeah!

This isn't a sport sedan by any stretch of the imagination, but the Accord remains the fun one in the Accord vs. Camry wars.

More Honda Than Ever
What's most impressive inside is the sense of space, which Honda cleverly amplifies with the Accord's generous glass area and swooping dashboard. While the center of the dash pushes the controls for the ventilation and entertainment systems within easy reach, the spaces in front of the driver and front passenger are gently tiered to keep from looking overly massive. The main instrumentation has an upscale look and is housed in a single binnacle in front of the driver.

There's room enough here for four 6-footers to sit comfortably for a cross-country road trip or for five to head for a lunch at Sizzler. Even with the front seats set well back, rear passengers will find that their knees have plenty of room.

Seat comfort fell short for some because of the large lumbar cushion. Visibility is excellent thanks to thin pillars, a proper seating position and large glass area.

Quality and Value
Accord buyers aren't the sort of people who think phony wood adds class to an interior, and Honda knows that. Decoration is subdued, with plastic that sort of looks like brushed aluminum as the only affectation.

Every surface seems to have been textured for both tactile satisfaction and long-term survival. There isn't a switch or control in the car that isn't logically positioned. And every one of them works with precision.

And the list of doodads for your $28,695 is longer than your lower intestine. Our test car had a tilting and telescoping steering wheel, "dual chamber" front side airbags, keyless entry, leather-trimmed seats, a leather-wrapped steering wheel, XM radio dual-zone climate control, heated seats and steering-wheel audio controls. A sunroof and navigation system are available at extra cost.

The Ordinary Feats of an Extraordinary Car, or Vice-Versa
The Camry V6 still has a performance advantage over the Accord V6, but no one buys cars in this class to go racing. And on a feature-for-feature, utility-for-utility basis, the two cars seem to be running in a dead heat.

Over time, the Camry has become a very good Accord, and with this redesign the Accord becomes a very good Camry. Choosing between the two is once again about choosing the right car for you as much as it is choosing the best car.

So the 2008 Honda Accord is yet again the standard — or co-standard — of its class. Only it's a bigger, better class. You know, the class that was once filled with freaking huge Buicks and Oldsmobiles.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=122825
Old 10-03-2007, 04:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Accord Fuels Honda Sales Surge

Honda Motor (HMC) and its Acura division enjoyed record sales in September in a generally declining market, as Japanese brands continue to take U.S. market share from the Big Three domestic manufacturers. Honda's performance comes despite less than a full month's worth of sales for an all-new Accord (BusinessWeek.com, 8/28/07), which debuted in mid-September. Counting Honda and Acura together, sales were up about 14%.
^^ This was the Honda related excerpt from this Business Week link.

to Honda.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:23 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Accord buyers aren't the sort of people who think phony wood adds class to an interior, and Honda knows that. Decoration is subdued, with plastic that sort of looks like brushed aluminum as the only affectation.
Guess he didn't test the Accord with the plood trimmed interior...or know that it exists.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:04 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by phile
Guess he didn't test the Accord with the plood trimmed interior...or know that it exists.
So basically he's like any other journalist. Just pulls shit out of his ass.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:35 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by F23A4
^^ This was the Honda related excerpt from this Business Week link.

to Honda.
Yes good for Honda but we will all do better if all State side (incl big 3)manufactures do well...they are geting there...
Old 10-03-2007, 10:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Most people can't tell the difference between BMW's pleather and real leather...sometimes its best not to know?
Old 10-03-2007, 11:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I just saw my first 08 Accord coupe today. Charcoal grey ("Polished Metal Metallic") EX-L V-6 (because of the wheels) w/ tinted windows.
A young lady was driving it. It looked really really good at quick glance. It caught my eye from far away.

Checked out the Accord sedans last week at a local Honda dealership. They are pretty sweet as well. But the coupe is hot.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by JJaber06
Most people can't tell the difference between BMW's pleather and real leather...sometimes its best not to know?
....need to file that under 'ignorance is bliss.'
Old 10-06-2007, 09:48 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Saw my first new Accord today. Green EX-L sedan. I have to take back all the negative I ever spewed about the sedan. It looks great in person. All those lines that I thought didn't work give the car a very edgy, modern style. I was very impressed.

And like most Honda's I expect the styling to grow on me even more with time. Nice job Honda.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:31 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Just saw the new Accord coupe commercial. The coupe looks really nice from the side.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:11 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
Saw my first new Accord today. Green EX-L sedan. I have to take back all the negative I ever spewed about the sedan. It looks great in person. All those lines that I thought didn't work give the car a very edgy, modern style. I was very impressed.

And like most Honda's I expect the styling to grow on me even more with time. Nice job Honda.
Wow...talk about complete 180.

I am waiting to see the first one on the road here.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:49 AM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i like it better in person also EXCEPT for the headlights. a little too big and they bulge out. would look so much better if it had the coupes headlights
Old 10-07-2007, 12:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dom

I checked out an 08 EX-L yesterday with my wife and compared it with our 07 and all I have to say that the pics do not do it justice and I DEFINTELY like it better than my 07 (which is not a bad car in its own rite).
Old 10-09-2007, 08:33 AM
Racer

motor trend vid...

http://www.vtec.net/forums/one-messa...sage_id=714131 or

http://www.motortrend.com/av/roadtes...a_accord_coupe
Old 10-09-2007, 04:40 PM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Infamous425
i like it better in person also EXCEPT for the headlights. a little too big and they bulge out. would look so much better if it had the coupes headlights
i like it except the tail lights.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:40 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

Originally Posted by dom

:agreed: I saw a black version last weekend and it was more impressive looking than I thought. It has a hefty solidity to the look that is suprisingly attractive.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:53 PM
Senior Moderator

The coupe is in red. I'm really starting to like it....A LOT.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:36 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
TOV dynoed an 08 sedan V6.

208 HP, 187 lb-ft. Compared to an 03 V6 at 196 HP and 175 lb-ft.

Not too impressive.

http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-ar...icle_id=714997
Old 10-12-2007, 01:29 PM
Senior Moderator

A 62hp/61 lb-ft powertrain loss is a little high.

Notable caveat:
It's possible that running super unleaded would keep this pinging in check and avoid the timing cut, resulting in a few more ponies up there.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:09 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Kinda surprised I haven't seen a single new Accord yet.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:21 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
^^ Dealers have them on the lots for quite a few weeks now.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:53 PM
Audi Driving Snob

Pretty disapointing, but with a caveat. Peak numbers probably are just about a wash with the increased weight of the new model.

The important thing we dont see, since this graph was from an auto, is the low end improvements over the old 3 liter. It's quite possible that this motor was tuned to for strong low end while giving up some top end power to increase drivability.

What we really need to see is a manual dyno doing a full sweep to get a better idea bout the engine.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:26 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Thumbs up Finally Saw 1 Today

A dark grey sedan & I must admit it definetly looked better than in the pictures. Huge improvement over the last body style.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:36 PM
Banned

I live a few blocks from a dealer and i still havent seen one. and havent driven by the dealer either.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Kinda surprised I haven't seen a single new Accord yet.
Saw my third one tonight at the Valley of Fear in PA. I think they actually look nice.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:32 AM
seizure force field!

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts
I saw them at the dealer last Wednesday... they look tits.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:36 PM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
my friend just picked up a new one... accord lx-s coupe....paid $350 over sticker for it...
Old 10-13-2007, 09:27 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
@ people that would pay over sticker for an Accord
Old 10-14-2007, 01:59 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
+1
Old 10-14-2007, 09:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 236 Likes on 97 Posts
I saw my first one this weekend.I think it was the top o'the line EX V6 model...Damn it looked good. It has a stance to it...pretty close to an RL from a behind view.Gone are the good old bland days
Old 10-14-2007, 10:03 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S

If it were not for the fact that the negotiated price for my Accord was $25,900 (EX-L V6 Navi) then, I would likely be in an 07 Altima 3.5SE right now.

Quick Reply: Honda: Accord News