View Poll Results: What do you like Better?
Accord Concept Rims and Bodykit
73.97%
2004 Acura TL A-Spec Bodykit and Rims
26.03%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Honda: Accord News

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 12:03 PM
101 years of heartache...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ yeah honestly, what was he thinking? Now I don't know what the situation is, but if he sent it in to TOV, wouldn't he be a little experienced with this type of stuff? I can understand if it was a soccer mom not knowing what it was, but it seems like this guy knows whats up in the car world. Just my opinion.
Old 04-16-2005, 03:14 PM
Race Director

Received 623 Likes on 502 Posts
Originally Posted by heyitsme
ntice368:

The only problem imo is, Honda would not go this far for the Accord unless it was a whole new model. We all saw what they did to fix the tail lights for 2005, red plastic instead of clear, but why even do that if this is coming out 6months later? Why would they go again for a refresh in 06 with this if a new model is one or two years away? It all points to this be another model.
The real sales dive for the Accord is in the past 6 months - maybe Honda is in a panic and will refersh it again for 06. If the real new model is another two years away (that would be the normal cycle) then a more major refresh makes sense. It seems that these days you just can't let models wither away for even a couple of years - there's just too much competition and sales will sour unless you keep having new stuff.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:05 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
"Substantial" modifications to the Accord.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...330&refer=asia

Honda to Revamp Accord to Reverse U.S. Car Sales Drop (Update1)
June 14 (Bloomberg) -- Honda Motor Co., Japan's third- biggest carmaker, said it plans ``substantial'' modifications to its Accord model in an effort to reverse a sales slump that may lead to the company's first U.S. sales decline in 12 years.

``We're planning some fairly major refreshes coming this year,'' John Mendel, Honda's U.S. sales chief, said in an interview today. The changes will address what customers view as the current Accord's shortcomings, including exterior styling and engine power, he said without elaborating. The latest Accord is about halfway through its four- to five-year model life.

In its attempt to boost U.S. demand, Honda is trying to regain share in a market that has accounted for 43 percent of its global sales. Accord sedans and coupes, which made up 25 percent of Tokyo-based Honda's total U.S. sales so far in 2005, fell 9 percent to 143,304 this year through May. Honda's annual U.S. sales haven't fallen since 1993, the longest growth streak in the market.

``Accord is Honda's symbol in this market. They'll do what they have to to protect it,'' said Jim Sanfilippo, executive vice president of Automotive Marketing Consultants Inc. in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan. ``It doesn't cost much to bend the sheet metal a little differently to improve the looks, so that's an easy option.''

Falling Sales

The drop for Accord, as well as the Civic -- a small car that is Honda's second-biggest selling U.S. model -- cut the company's U.S. sales 0.7 percent this year through May to 565,948. Civic sales are down 15 percent this year, in part because Honda has reduced production ahead of the release of a redesigned version due in about three months.

In spite of the declines so far this year, Honda will post a twelfth consecutive year of overall U.S. sales growth, said Mendel, who declined to estimate a percentage increase.

The company, the fifth-biggest automaker in terms of U.S. sales, has relied more on cars than its larger competitors, General Motors Corp., Ford Motor Co., DaimlerChrysler AG and Toyota Motor Corp., which sell more pickup trucks, sport-utility vehicles and vans.

Amid falling U.S. demand for cars Honda has added its first pickup, boosted production of SUVs and minivans and plans a second SUV for its luxury Acura line. Honda builds its North American Accord mainly at a plant in Marysville, Ohio.

`Enamored'

Accord sales may have also been hurt this year as Honda dealers focused more on selling newer, more expensive models such as the Ridgeline pickup and Pilot SUV, Sanfilippo said. ``My sense is a lot of dealers are a little bit enamored with selling these new trucks,'' he said.

Expanding competition and rising incentives in a ``mature'' segment of the U.S. auto market have contributed to Accord's slump, said Mendel, 50, senior vice president for the company's U.S. auto operations and who this year succeeded former sales chief Tom Elliott.

Midsize sedans ``are the Fallujah of the car industry,'' Mendel said. ``Everybody is basically pounding away with everything they've got.'' Honda still expects to maintain average annual sales volume on Accord of about 400,000 units, he said.

Honda earns about three-quarters of its global operating income in North America, which buys twice as many cars as the company sells in Japan.

Honda's U.S. operations are based in Torrance, California. The company's American depositary receipts rose 31 cents to $24.95 in New York Stock Exchange composite trading at 4:16 p.m.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:08 AM
Race Director

``It doesn't cost much to bend the sheet metal a little differently to improve the looks, so that's an easy option.''
I have a feeling Honda would disagree with this. Retooling (what is needed to change sheet metal) is not exactly an easy and cheap option. That's the reason it seems like this MMC is more than the usual facelift of front and rear fascias - changing sheet metal is a big deal and can alter the looks of a car a lot.

Like the Bangelized 7 series, the Accord has a butt image problem - this MMC should fix that. I contribute most of the sales slump to simply an unattractive exterior style. The drivetrain and interior are fine (although of course improvements there will be welcomed as well).
Old 06-15-2005, 09:21 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by biker
I have a feeling Honda would disagree with this. Retooling (what is needed to change sheet metal) is not exactly an easy and cheap option. That's the reason it seems like this MMC is more than the usual facelift of front and rear fascias - changing sheet metal is a big deal and can alter the looks of a car a lot.

Like the Bangelized 7 series, the Accord has a butt image problem - this MMC should fix that. I contribute most of the sales slump to simply an unattractive exterior style. The drivetrain and interior are fine (although of course improvements there will be welcomed as well).

Now I hope the above spy pics aren't accurate because I don't think that new rear end will help sales.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:55 AM
Pinky all stinky

I don't know the cost of retooling and restamping, but maybe the article was stating that in terms of the overall cost? Perhaps it's not as cheap as they make it sound, but if sales of the Accord picks up (even with the sales slump, it will still sell at least 400,000 units), the retooling costs would not matter as much. Besides, Honda uses those flexible assembly lines, where it can retool at a substantially lower cost than its competition.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:03 PM
Pro

The FIRST THING honduh should do is to create from scrach RELIABLE TRANSMISSION for all V6 vehicles not that fucking POS that was made on 98-02 AV6
Old 06-15-2005, 03:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by av6ent
The FIRST THING honduh should do is to create from scrach RELIABLE TRANSMISSION for all V6 vehicles not that fucking POS that was made on 98-02 AV6
my 98 3.2TL is running just fine
Old 06-15-2005, 03:51 PM
TMQ
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When the pictures of the current generation accord came out (and people were anxiously waiting for them), my first reaction was, oh no!! Finally, people have spoken. Honda should fire the chief designer in charge of the current gen accord and civic (especially the accord). The coupe version of accord is almost just as bad. There's no clear indication where the Honda design trend was going.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:40 PM
Pro

I think the accord coupe looks pretty good, much better than the solara.
Old 06-15-2005, 08:46 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by av6ent
I agree, its an Accord, the last thing it needs is more power. It just needs a nicer looking body, both look weird.
Old 06-15-2005, 08:47 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by gavriil
By MARK RECHTIN | Automotive News

Honda dealers call it "kissing the ring."

Times have been so good for Honda that their NADA make meetings usually run about 30 minutes and end with smiles. The only rancor involves getting larger allocations of product. But nearly every dealer shows up to pay tribute to Honda boss Dick Colliver, who has taken the franchise to record sales and dealer profits for three straight years.

This year, Colliver's agenda is straightforward. He wants the Accord to beat the Toyota Camry and earn the best-selling car title. He wants dealers to embrace the new customer service program. And he wants dealers to quit using questionable tactics in their local advertising.

"We have a shot at leadership with Accord," said Colliver, American Honda's executive vice president. "We're going to put more effort behind it, but not without protecting the brand. We're not going to throw money at it."

Honda's 36-month lease for $239 per month has no incentive money attached to it, he said. Were Honda to put money behind the car, it would be to reduce the down payment or the money factor.

Honda should reach 1.18 million units this year, a 100,000-unit gain, Colliver said. Most of that will come from the Element SUV, as well as a full year of the redesigned Accord and new Pilot SUV.

But while volume growth is important, keeping the value of the franchise high is paramount, Colliver said.

That's why he's pushing hard for dealers to be validated in the "Excel" customer satisfaction program. Unlike Ford's Blue Oval plan, there is no cash-back incentive for dealers to be involved; but dealers cannot go on incentive trips or be in the President's Club if they are not Excel members.

Honda also will crack down on dealers who use bait-and-switch or other dicey tactics in their local advertising. Dealers will be warned by phone, by letter and in person, before Honda yanks their advertising funds, which range from $90 to $200 per unit, said dealer council chairman Ralph Tucker, dealer principal of Honda Morristown in Morristown, Tenn.

Damn that was 2 years ago when he said that and the car is selling worse.
Old 06-15-2005, 08:49 PM
Safety Car

Engine power seems fine, but if they want to bump it, so be it. I'd be more interested to see the 6-speed make it into the sedan.
Old 06-15-2005, 08:53 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TMQ
When the pictures of the current generation accord came out (and people were anxiously waiting for them), my first reaction was, oh no!! Finally, people have spoken. Honda should fire the chief designer in charge of the current gen accord and civic (especially the accord). The coupe version of accord is almost just as bad. There's no clear indication where the Honda design trend was going.
All their new designs suck.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:08 AM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Black CL-S 4-Life
All their new designs suck.
tl and tsx =

Old 06-16-2005, 05:13 AM
Race Director

Engine power seems fine, but if they want to bump it, so be it. I'd be more interested to see the 6-speed make it into the sedan.
Same drivetrain as the TSX.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:20 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I interpreted the hint about engine power to upping power via upping displacement. That was my first guess at least. Let's see what happens.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:45 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by gavriil
I interpreted the hint about engine power to upping power via upping displacement. That was my first guess at least. Let's see what happens.
I was thinking it would a slightly detuned version of the TL's 3.2L 270HP V6, making around 255-260. That would put it at the top of the HP heap, beating the altima.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:32 PM
Pro

New pics!

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=362191
Old 06-16-2005, 12:36 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

I really don't think thats enough to make any big sales gains.

And they forgot to fix the front....
Old 06-16-2005, 12:39 PM
Pro

i like the led tails. I think the rear looks much better now.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:46 PM

rear is nicely cleaned up, but now the front looks EH. It's like combining 2 different animals. Reminds me of a Liger or something, can't really explain it
Old 06-16-2005, 12:49 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by gocubsgo55
rear is nicely cleaned up, but now the front looks EH. It's like combining 2 different animals. Reminds me of a Liger or something, can't really explain it

I get that exact feeling. They should have made some noticeable changes to the front.

I'm giving this a
Old 06-16-2005, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by titan
I was thinking it would a slightly detuned version of the TL's 3.2L 270HP V6, making around 255-260. That would put it at the top of the HP heap, beating the altima.
Main reason why the Altima 3.5 SE sells is because it outpowers the rest.

I say, bump the power in the TL to lets say, 300 HP (makes sense since Infiniti and Lexus are/ will be over 270 HP in this segment) and keep the 270 HP variant of the J32 for the new Accord. I'd love to see a 300 HP J35 make it to the TL (SH-AWD is always welcomed). With the TSX about to get a power bump in the near future, the TL should also see one soon in my opinion.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:57 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

I say, bump the power in the TL to lets say, 300 HP (makes sense since Infiniti and Lexus are/ will be over 270 HP in this segment) and keep the 270 HP variant of the J32 for the new Accord. I'd love to see a 300 HP J35 make it to the TL (SH-AWD is always welcomed). With the TSX about to get a power bump in the near future, the TL should also see one soon in my opinion.

The Altima is handliy outsold by both the Camry and Accord in the family car segment. HP isn't really what sells those cars. The least powerful Camry has been king of the hill for quite some time now.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:08 PM
Pinky all stinky

Tough critics!

I think this refresh will turn things around. I like the LED lights (I hope it's standard across the line, and not just for the top model EX), I'm glad they fixed the Honda logo (no longer sinking into the front bumper). The rear end looks tolerable now, even if it's a little reminescent of the Mercury Montego's rear.

Old 06-16-2005, 01:32 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dom
The Altima is handliy outsold by both the Camry and Accord in the family car segment. HP isn't really what sells those cars. The least powerful Camry has been king of the hill for quite some time now.
Honda and Toyota both include their two door sales in with their 4-door sales though, Nissan doesn't.

As for the update, I agree, not good enough. The rear looks better, but they left the front which is very bland. In contrast the camry refresh has the new front and rear which seem to have moved away from boring.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:46 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Honda and Toyota both include their two door sales in with their 4-door sales though, Nissan doesn't.

As for the update, I agree, not good enough. The rear looks better, but they left the front which is very bland. In contrast the camry refresh has the new front and rear which seem to have moved away from boring.

There obvioulsy isn't a 2 Dr Altima to report sales on. But 148,000 Accords sold so far in 05 comapred to 108,000 Altima's. I guess an argument could be made that an Altima Coupe would make things alot closer. Sales were never that close in the very recent past which says alot about the Accord.

And I agree about the Camry refresh. I like what I've seen so far alot better than this Accord refresh.

BYW - 178,000 Camry sales so far this year.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:20 PM
Pro

What camry refresh are you guys talking about? The one with the fuzzy pictures? I thought those were pictures of the next gen camry, not a refresh.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:30 PM

yeah i remember seeing that Camry refresh, I really think I'd take that thing over the new Accord.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:35 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by corey415
What camry refresh are you guys talking about? The one with the fuzzy pictures? I thought those were pictures of the next gen camry, not a refresh.

Your right, it is an all new Camry.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:22 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Spy Pics:
http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=362191

i love it....good moves.....

Last edited by Zapata; 06-16-2005 at 03:27 PM.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:40 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
that would be sweet
Old 06-16-2005, 05:00 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
I get that exact feeling. They should have made some noticeable changes to the front.

I'm giving this a
Don't care much for it.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:07 PM
is Pretty Much a Moron

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
What a waste of time and money
Old 06-16-2005, 07:52 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
no pics....
Old 06-16-2005, 09:03 PM
That blowed up real good!

Originally Posted by TypeSAddict
What a waste of time and money

So they go and spend eleventy-billion dollars on a half-assed re-design for maybe a measely +10-20K annual sales.

Fix the root problem Honda! Get your design house in order.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:14 PM
how handsome I am

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Weck

So they go and spend eleventy-billion dollars on a half-assed re-design for maybe a measely +10-20K annual sales.

Fix the root problem Honda! Get your design house in order.
damn skippy.. Looks like a weird TL in the back, and same ol' Honda accord up front... nothing new!

-Alex
Old 06-16-2005, 09:47 PM
Racer

I think it sells the most b/c IMO, it looks the best and most eye catching of the Camry/Accord, it looks like a Lexus some.

And dude, you just can't bump HP, its not that simple. And u can't just slap on SH-AWD to everything, the cars are stil FWD biased anyway.

AS for the Accord, what a half-ass refresh.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:11 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
This is what the current-gen Accord should have looked like all along:

Quick Reply: Honda: Accord News