View Poll Results: What do you like Better?
Accord Concept Rims and Bodykit
73.97%
2004 Acura TL A-Spec Bodykit and Rims
26.03%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Honda: Accord News

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 10:25 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
It is indeed a boring car, but the hybrid drivetrain is something that highly interests me. I think that there is great potential for using the drivetrain in other applications in the Honda line-up.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:55 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
It is indeed a boring car, but the hybrid drivetrain is something that highly interests me. I think that there is great potential for using the drivetrain in other applications in the Honda line-up.
i definetly agree. i already put 10K miles on my car in just 4 months and something like this that gets 600 miles to the tank and has some get up and go is definetly something to admire.
oooo i just cant wait on the possibilities the next couple years might bring........ mmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 10-13-2004, 11:28 PM
Drifting

Uh oh.. i don't need any last minute dillema before buying the tsx. i better stay away.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by slo007
The Accord is too boring. There's too many of them out on the road. I like having unique cars. My first one was a Jetta IV, right after it came out. It took 6 months for the car to become common. The TSX only now is starting to become common to the point I see 2-3 per day. My next car is most definitely not going to be an Accord!
Jetta and TSX unique and eye-catching? TSX is an Accord dude....

I think this hybrid is stellar!
Old 10-13-2004, 11:56 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
TSX is an Accord dude....
Not in this country, dude.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:55 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think this hybrid is stellar!
Indeed it is.

I have a really, really interested eye on it.

I hope SaraWi sees this thread...
Old 10-14-2004, 07:57 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
The car is the cats ass, too bad it still looks like ass.

What we need is an IMA Ody.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:10 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmmmm I wonder how this will respond to mods hahaha.

Once its out I may look at a trade in but I don't know that I want to give up the better stereo, Xenon's, and sport shift on the TSX. But I do drive about 26,000 miles a year so the extra gas mileage would be nice
Old 10-14-2004, 09:14 AM
04 remembrance

Appealing, but......I don't know.
Old 10-14-2004, 12:01 PM
Master in Science

Dude, TSX doesn't look like the American Accord. You can't say it's the same thing.

And the Jetta IV was eye catching when it came out in 1999.
Old 10-14-2004, 03:32 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
If they put this package in a car that doesn't look like ass, I would very seriously consider it.

If they have this in the next TSX then I could see it as my next car.

Anyone remember these concepts that have the electric motors power one set of wheels, and the gas motor power the back wheels? I wonder why they aren't putting that in production cars, I guess with the way the IMA switches seamlessly between the gas and electric, it would result in the car switching between FWD and RWD and it could possilbly get dangerous...
Old 10-15-2004, 09:23 AM
Cruisin'

mileage on regular Accords?

Can't find it on Honda's website. Might be interesting to compare.
Old 10-15-2004, 09:26 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Belzebutt
If they put this package in a car that doesn't look like ass, I would very seriously consider it.

If they have this in the next TSX then I could see it as my next car.

Anyone remember these concepts that have the electric motors power one set of wheels, and the gas motor power the back wheels? I wonder why they aren't putting that in production cars, I guess with the way the IMA switches seamlessly between the gas and electric, it would result in the car switching between FWD and RWD and it could possilbly get dangerous...
That was the Dual Note concept and it was, I think, a mid-engine RWD setup with electric motors up front to power the front wheels. There is no switching, per se, but rather the electric motors kick in to provide more power or to power the front wheels in corners.
Old 10-15-2004, 09:32 AM
Cruisin'

hybrid vs. diesel

This adds $4000 to the loaded EX. A diesel in a Jeep Liberty adds close to $8000!!! _Accord-ing_ to Autoweek.
Old 10-15-2004, 12:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sipark
Uh oh.. i don't need any last minute dillema before buying the tsx. i better stay away.
This is exactly how I feel..Thanks, by the way, to sauceman for directing me here . As for looks, I think you guys are too harsh. Throw some decent rims on it, slight tint to the windows, maybe a spoiler (I know some of you are opposed to this, but I like it!!) Anyways, my point is that you have to make it your own. Dress it up a little and it won't look so pedestrian. I own an Accord coupe and it looked very boring on the lot. I almost bought a Toyota for that reason. Now I think my Accord looks pretty spiffy. I chose a color that is more rare and added a few cosmetic changes to customize it. I think this could be done to this Accord as well. That being said, if I were to buy this Accord, or the TSX for that matter, it would be a daily driver for me 45 min each way to work. A car with some fuel ecomony and also luxury appointments fits the bill perfectly. I would definitly drive each back to back before making any decision. Oh, one other annoying thing about the Hybrid..right now, I think it's only gonna be in four colors--desert mist metallic(gold), graphite pearl, silver frost metallic(similar to TSX's meteor silver) and taffeta white. I want black.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:44 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Originally Posted by SaraWI
This is exactly how I feel..Thanks, by the way, to sauceman for directing me here . As for looks, I think you guys are too harsh. Throw some decent rims on it, slight tint to the windows, maybe a spoiler (I know some of you are opposed to this, but I like it!!) Anyways, my point is that you have to make it your own. Dress it up a little and it won't look so pedestrian. I own an Accord coupe and it looked very boring on the lot.
I don't think any amount of dressing up can make the 2005 Accord sedan sexy. The problem is the front lights, the rear lights, the shape of the passenger compartment. The coupe already has a sleek shape so it's a different story. I used to own the last-gen coupe and I loved the styling, especially the back. The new one I don't like the front but it's passable if the whole car is dressed up. But the sedan...

Anyway, I'm sure SOMEBODY out there thinks the Accord sedan looks sexy. Some people have weird fetishes.
Old 10-15-2004, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by slo007
Dude, TSX doesn't look like the American Accord. You can't say it's the same thing.

And the Jetta IV was eye catching when it came out in 1999.
Its the Euro Accord.
http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/newcars/...=&wheelPartNo=
Old 10-15-2004, 03:53 PM
Team Owner

Yes...we know that, :captainobvious: but it's not an American Accord and since most Americans aren't living in Europe currently, they don't think of it that way.
Old 10-15-2004, 09:48 PM
Moderator Alumnus

The Accord Hybrid is not exciting in an of itself, but what it means for Honda/Acura over the next 4 years. We can be sure they are already lining up SH-AWD and IMA applications in different cars over the next years depending on which one makes sense. I am pretty sure the I4 Accord gets 34 MPG on the highway so this thing beats that, has less pollution, and is FAST! This IMA application is going to be hugely exciting in the future for other cars especially when coupled with VCM. So think past the Accord, this is the sign of huge things to come. Begin my 2-3 year wait for my TSX replacement as it will likely be an IMA Honda/Acura vehicle
Old 10-16-2004, 07:09 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Originally Posted by provench
The Accord Hybrid is not exciting in an of itself, but what it means for Honda/Acura over the next 4 years. We can be sure they are already lining up SH-AWD and IMA applications in different cars over the next years depending on which one makes sense. I am pretty sure the I4 Accord gets 34 MPG on the highway so this thing beats that, has less pollution, and is FAST! This IMA application is going to be hugely exciting in the future for other cars especially when coupled with VCM. So think past the Accord, this is the sign of huge things to come. Begin my 2-3 year wait for my TSX replacement as it will likely be an IMA Honda/Acura vehicle

What this Accord will do is make this system cheaper for the rest of us and help work out the bugs.
Old 10-16-2004, 12:05 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Old 10-16-2004, 12:17 PM
White and Nerdy

Originally Posted by Belzebutt

The Accord doesn't look like ass....its problem, IMHO, it that it has NO ass!!!

Whoever designed the back end of that thing needs slapped heavily...
Old 10-17-2004, 05:20 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

I don't think we should even worry about the Accord Hybrid much like other hybrids at the moment they will sell them in such low volumes that only the insane greenies will get them as no one in their right mind would pay over 30g's for an Accord!

I don't think the Accord Hybrid will be a money maker for honda, they likely will just break even with the model on only offer it for PR reasons IMO. I mean those battery systems aren't cheap.

I mean if you pay 30G for a car are you really hard up for gas money?
You'd be insane not to get a TL. I don't think the Accord Hybrid no.s were all that great either a lot of regular economy cars can hit those numbers.

The Accord hybrid is all tree hugger-EPA-CAFE hype for Honda's PR, an Accord hybrid gas sipper is like making a hybrid Escalade or Excursion that gets 22mpg vs. the standard 15 mpg.

The Accord and Civic hybrids kill me, what idiot thought the gas milage sucked in the first place? Now a hybrid Odessey that might be cooler since the V6 in that van is a bit over worked for MPG's. And the Honda minivans already sell at premium price it makes sense. But to sell avg. cars at premium prices?

If you do the math and assume you will own the hybrides for 8yrs vs. the regular models MSRP you will never see the savings in gas purchased vs. initial price paid.
Old 10-17-2004, 07:16 PM
Team Owner

The point is that it is intended to be good PR for Honda. They want to show that they are even more environmentally conscious. And the Accord provides solid V6 power with 4-cylinder fuel efficiency. It also is a technological showcase and a platform on which Honda can demonstrate new technology.
Old 10-17-2004, 08:58 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Not only that, when gas gets more expensive and hybrids are more common, Honda and Toyota will be far ahead and making money on them because they will have lots of experience, while other manufacturers will be playing catch-up.
Old 10-17-2004, 09:29 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by MrChad
I don't think we should even worry about the Accord Hybrid much like other hybrids at the moment they will sell them in such low volumes that only the insane greenies will get them as no one in their right mind would pay over 30g's for an Accord!

I don't think the Accord Hybrid will be a money maker for honda, they likely will just break even with the model on only offer it for PR reasons IMO. I mean those battery systems aren't cheap.

You'd be insane not to get a TL. I don't think the Accord Hybrid no.s were all that great either a lot of regular economy cars can hit those numbers.

The Accord hybrid is all tree hugger-EPA-CAFE hype for Honda's PR, an Accord hybrid gas sipper is like making a hybrid Escalade or Excursion that gets 22mpg vs. the standard 15 mpg.

The Accord and Civic hybrids kill me, what idiot thought the gas milage sucked in the first place? Now a hybrid Odessey that might be cooler since the V6 in that van is a bit over worked for MPG's. And the Honda minivans already sell at premium price it makes sense. But to sell avg. cars at premium prices?

If you do the math and assume you will own the hybrides for 8yrs vs. the regular models MSRP you will never see the savings in gas purchased vs. initial price paid.
I am very far from being a tree-hugger, yet I would buy the Accord Hybrid in a heartbeat, if not to just be less dependent of Big Oil and it's inflationnist tendencies.

And that is not to say that the Hybrid version is the premium version over the Accord EX V6.
Old 10-17-2004, 09:33 PM
Moderator Alumnus

RUMOR: Big Changes for the Accord Due 2006 Horizon

This comes from a written news media in my area.

Supposedly American Honda would be dropping or replacing the current Accord and start importing the Accord Euro.

This would be effective 2006.

Whatever happens to the current Accord chassis, V6 version, etc, I don't know. It would maybe adopt the JDM name (Inspire, I believe)

Can anyone confirm this?
Old 10-17-2004, 09:40 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well if its true then bye bye TSX
Old 10-17-2004, 09:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow! Mr Chad is back with a vengence and woke up on the wrong side of the bed I usually agree with you, Chad, like the word of God, but not this time at all!!! I love my Accord and paid 25K for it brand new in 2001. Why then wouldn't I pay almost 30K for a new one today? I'd have no quams about spending that much on a new Accord that was loaded to the hilt and got fantastic milage and was quick. That about sums up what I want out of a car. I'd also have no problem spending that on the TSX for the same reasons. I seriously don't consider myself to be a tree hugger in the slightest. I simply think that if I'm gonna buy a 6 cylinder, might as well be a hybrid and get better gas mileage, a tax break, and, yeah, even maybe help decrease the US's depenency on foreign oil. But the whole tree hugger aspect of it is not what apeals to me first. What appeals to me first is that it's a 6 cyl. and a Honda. The other stuff is secondary. For the record, I do get excellent mileage in my current V-6 Accord--better even than my 4 cyl. Tracker! But, like I said, if I were to buy the Accord again, why not buy the Hybrid version?
Old 10-17-2004, 10:04 PM
101 years of heartache...

x 100, that would make for some pissed off TSX owners. Then again, that would also make for an incredibly rare car...

that would honestly make absolutely NO sense whatsoever. The JDM Accord/ Accord Euro is waay to small to compete with the Accord's midsized family sedan competators. Buyers of this class want room for kids and groceries and plenty of it. The TSX does it fine for my family, but it can't do it as well as an Accord, Camry, or Altima. There's a reason these 3 are made in America, America wants a cheap hauler sedan like these. The TSX is Japan's version, which is much smaller. This would make absolutely no sense unless the JDM Accord is made much larger.

But if this were done, the Inspire/Accord as WE know it would be halted, and that rumored V8 Premium Sedan might begin production. Acura could potentially eliminate the TSX and add a "GL". It'd be stupid if they imported the small JDM Accord though. Well see, what's your source?
Old 10-17-2004, 11:00 PM
04 remembrance

No joke, that would be pointless, unless of course they only offer IMA, AWD, and Turbo'd for TSX's.
Old 10-17-2004, 11:15 PM
bleh...

I don't see this happening, but the 7th gen Accord sales are falling and many ppl see it as big and ugly. I think Honda might go back to the 4 year span for a model. Hopefully....
Old 10-17-2004, 11:33 PM
Team Owner

This would be an awfully dumb move unless they completely redesigned the TSX in the process.

Old 10-18-2004, 01:59 AM
Burning Brakes

just stupid rumors
nothing more, nothing less
lock!
Old 10-18-2004, 05:58 AM
I kAnt Spel guD

Hybrids are a novellty and not the norm. I like the look of the Accord hybrid but for the money you actually get MORE car bying the TL over the Accord Hybrid, unless you count an Eco light as an option. HHmmm, hybride light or six speed manual?

As for the reduced dependency on foreign oil? Even if we all drove hybrids we all still have to buy gas at the pump to run them, domestically can we support even that much oil alone, not likely. So what would happen is gas prices would double since we all spend less on gas and thus, we still end up paying someone for oil and they all do less work making it for us.

Using hybrid technology to make already good MPG cars great is less worth wild then if Honda used hybride technology to make great larger cars like the Pilot and Odessey have MPG equal to that of their best cars. And no one will blink when you add 3-4g to a loaded Pilot's sticker Well they might if it had Accord EX MPG figures.

But much like Escape Hybrids good luck getting on the list of the wooping 20,000 Accords made annually. Isn't the window sticker near 32k for the Accord-Hybrid, man that could buy a lot of Honda, even an S2000.
Old 10-18-2004, 06:48 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by gocubsgo55
x 100, that would make for some pissed off TSX owners. Then again, that would also make for an incredibly rare car...

that would honestly make absolutely NO sense whatsoever. The JDM Accord/ Accord Euro is waay to small to compete with the Accord's midsized family sedan competators. Buyers of this class want room for kids and groceries and plenty of it. The TSX does it fine for my family, but it can't do it as well as an Accord, Camry, or Altima. There's a reason these 3 are made in America, America wants a cheap hauler sedan like these. The TSX is Japan's version, which is much smaller. This would make absolutely no sense unless the JDM Accord is made much larger.

But if this were done, the Inspire/Accord as WE know it would be halted, and that rumored V8 Premium Sedan might begin production. Acura could potentially eliminate the TSX and add a "GL". It'd be stupid if they imported the small JDM Accord though. Well see, what's your source?
My thoughts as well.

I don't know about a V8 though, I'd say it's as far-fetched as what I brought up. But since it was in a local newspaper, I thought I'd check out and see whether anyone had actually heard of this.

Probably a very unprofessionnal reporter doing a really crappy job.
Old 10-18-2004, 07:04 AM
Moderator Alumnus

As for the reduced dependency on foreign oil? Even if we all drove hybrids we all still have to buy gas at the pump to run them, domestically can we support even that much oil alone, not likely.
Don't even think foreign or domestic oil. Price is all regulated by a worldwide market. This is why if one Oil company in Russia goes bankrupt, our prices at the pump go up even if we don't buy shit from them.

So what would happen is gas prices would double since we all spend less on gas and thus, we still end up paying someone for oil and they all do less work making it for us.
You need to go back and learn about the laws of supply and demand. Oil is about the best example of how prices are affected by supply and demand, and what variables might affect supply and demand.

If demand goes down, prices go down. But realistically, it's not about how demand will go down, with China's emerging economy already weighing in as second highest oil consumer behind the US only, and with its demand increasing by 7-8%, oil prices will follow with an even steeper curve, given we are already at or past peak oil (or at least we are being educated that way, which influences the gas prices accordingly).

So it's all about the prices going up on an ever sharper increase, and what you will do personally to keep this from affecting your own wallet. I think about my money, and I sure as hell don't like spending it on something as volatile as gas, so the less I can spend on it, the betteroff I am.

5 years ago, it took a few 100k miles to make your hybrid woth the investment. Today, it has gone down a lot. Ask DEVO, he has done the calculations a few times here. At the rate gas prices increase, in 5 years, that extra investment will be money in your pockets after merely a year, due to higher gas costs, but also lower costs for buying the tecnology, because it is becoming more spread and accessible. Then who's going to be missing the bandwagon...

All pure economics here. No tree-hugging bullshit. Quit the redneck reflection and welcome to today.
Old 10-18-2004, 07:54 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Can't see it happeneing. I take a newspaper reporters story's and reviews about cars with a grain of salt. More often than not they are terribly uninformed or out of touch with the automotive landscape.

What I find troubling is that all Honda had to so was redesign the Accord's butt and they have a winner. I still firmly believe that butt is responsble for the sales dip.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:20 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,231 Likes on 821 Posts
Maybe they will just bring in the Accord Wagon. That would be my next car.
Old 10-18-2004, 09:06 AM
I'm the Firestarter

First, I don't see that happening. There's a reason the Accord is different here, and if they have the Inspire in Japan why wouldn't they have that car in Nort America in some form?

Second, why are people saying "bye bye TSX"? In Canada, the Acura EL is selling great and it's basically a Civic with leather and nicer wheels. I don't see this smaller Accord being identical to the TSX, it would probably be a TSX with a cheaper interior (a cloth version for sure), no xenon, 16" wheels, smaller engine version, etc.

And since Honda said they would not put a V6 in that car, they would have to make the stupid move of not having an Accord V6.

No, I just don't think this is possible.

Quick Reply: Honda: Accord News