View Poll Results: What do you like Better?
Accord Concept Rims and Bodykit
73.97%
2004 Acura TL A-Spec Bodykit and Rims
26.03%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Honda: Accord News

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 08:10 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by z-tec
Question:

Why not add IMA to the TSX this year. It has 40 less horsepower than the V6 Accord, much less torque and actually has a suspension that is begging for much more! Is it just me or is it a perfect fit????? Maybe the price is too high? But how much more would it be...another $1500??

Put in the IMA, add XM, heated mirrors, memory seats and power passenger seats and its an untouchable car for the price...
Nice wish list but expect the price tag to be closer to $5,000 than $1,500.
Old 06-28-2004, 11:00 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Martin
They're pretty cheap in the aftermarket now. $600 will get you a set of philips HIDs.
I had actually installed aftermarkets on my 95 EXR a few months before it died, and it was a big time improvement, but yet no close to the lighting quality of the TSX. I'd much rather OEM than having to go ghetto, especially on a brand new car.

Oh and the kit I bought went for 300$CAD. OEM Nissan salvaged kit, fit on Honda Accord 9006 OEM sealed beams.
Old 06-28-2004, 11:04 PM
Photography Nerd

I guess projector lenses are key.
Old 06-28-2004, 11:04 PM
has been here awhile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phile
LOL@the taillights, we're complaining about its shape, not its color, Honda!!!
I'm not sure those are the '05 tail lights across the Accord line. Remember what Honda did with the Civic hybrid taillights? They were different originally than any of the other Civics. Maybe they'll still change more on the '05 Accord than just those taillights...

And what they said about the exclusive design features...new grille, new tail lights...maybe new grill means that the other Accords get a new grille design. All of Honda's hybrids have closed/semi-closed grilles. Hmm...
Old 06-29-2004, 08:32 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Accord HyBrid: First Photos

Honda Accord Hybrid: Honda's Best-Selling Vehicle Goes Hybrid
Accord Hybrid Set to debut later this year with V-6 performance and four-cylinder Fuel

Torrance, Calif. 06/28/2004 -- American Honda released the first images of its 2005 Accord V6 Hybrid, a gas-electric hybrid version of Honda's best-selling car, scheduled to go on-sale at Honda dealerships nationwide later this year. Utilizing a next-generation hybrid powertrain, the Accord V6 Hybrid will deliver power and performance above the current 240-horsepower Accord V6 with the fuel economy of a compact-class, four-cylinder Civic sedan.

"Putting hybrid technology into our most popular model is a further indication of Honda's commitment to hybrid technology and our confidence that consumers are ready for more hybrid models," said Tom Elliott, executive vice president of American Honda Motor Co., Inc. "The Accord hybrid delivers both increased performance and higher fuel economy. It takes hybrid technology into all new territory."

With class-leading performance and fuel efficiency provided by a highly advanced and super-efficient hybrid V6 powertrain, the Accord Hybrid will produce in excess of 240 horsepower with near-peak torque available across the engine's full operating range for exhilarating performance with superb acceleration, passing power and cruising comfort.

Honda's innovative new Variable Cylinder Management (VCM) technology further enhances the efficiency of the Accord Hybrid by deactivating three of the engine's six cylinders during cruising and deceleration with no impact to vehicle performance or passenger comfort.
Honda's advanced and super-efficient Integrated Motor Assist (IMA) hybrid system utilizes a high-output electric motor/generator to provide for more efficient engine operation by capturing electrical energy during braking or deceleration and using that energy to help power the vehicle. In addition, the system features the ability to shut off the engine during vehicle stops for further efficiency gains. The resulting savings in fuel consumption, along with VCM cylinder deactivation, provides for fuel economy comparable to a compact-class Civic sedan powered by a four-cylinder engine.

The Accord Hybrid's exterior has a number of exclusive features including a unique front grille design, new taillight appearance and special hybrid badging, along with a rear trunk lid spoiler and exclusive alloy wheel design.

Honda introduced the Insight, America's first hybrid vehicle and still the fuel economy leader, in December 1999. Honda then took hybrid technology into the mainstream with the introduction of the Civic Hybrid in March 2002. Sales of the Insight and Civic Hybrid accounted for more than half of all U.S. hybrid sales in 2003, according to R.L. Polk vehicle registration data. Civic Hybrid set consecutive sales records in March, April and May with year-to-date sales up nearly 20 percent versus last year through the end of May.

Looks like the rear end is improved.
Old 06-29-2004, 08:38 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Cool, but it's still ugly.

edit: it's a little better - I'll agree with Cartman
Old 06-29-2004, 08:39 AM
Photography Nerd

Well other than the third photo this is mostly a of yesterday's news: http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11407

n00b!

Old 06-29-2004, 08:42 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

God damn, I tried searching but can't because of the dns problems here at work. I knew it would bite me in the ass.

Closing.
Old 06-29-2004, 08:44 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Can't wait to see the performance figures and EPA.
Old 06-29-2004, 08:48 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Domn, just as I was about to click on your IMA Accord photos thread, it disappeared. Was there anything worth knowing about or was it a repost you n0oB?
Old 06-29-2004, 08:56 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally Posted by TSX 'R' US
I guess they didn't get the memo...

You see, we're putting new cover sheets on our TPS reports...
Old 06-29-2004, 09:00 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by sauceman
Domn, just as I was about to click on your IMA Accord photos thread, it disappeared. Was there anything worth knowing about or was it a repost you n0oB?
It was a complete repost. I can't do a search here at work because of DNS problems so its not my fault I swear
Old 06-29-2004, 09:07 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by domn
It was a complete repost. I can't do a search here at work because of DNS problems so its not my fault I swear
Hehehe, it's all good.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:09 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally Posted by domn
In Philadelphia, we use the search button
Old 06-29-2004, 09:11 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by jcg878
In Philadelphia, we use the search button
What part of "I can't do a search because of DNS problems" did'nt you understand?

Obnoxious Philedelphian :fingerfawk:
Old 06-29-2004, 09:13 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

In Philadelphia, DNS problems don't bother us

noob
Old 06-30-2004, 07:57 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Back to topic, I can't seem to remember what transmition would be used with the IMA: CVT? AT? MT? If anyone knows, please tell me it's not AT!

Also, they say it will give out the fuel economy of a Civic. Do we get numbers that are more specific yet?

Looking forward to see by how much I can improve my mpg over the TSX.
Old 06-30-2004, 08:30 AM
Photography Nerd

The Insight uses a CVT so I imagine any of the IMA cars would too. Just an educated guess...
Old 06-30-2004, 08:33 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Yeah I'm kind of curious about this tranny, I don't know much about it, but word is this tranny is the one that can exploit the engine's potential at all times. But it is also said that the CVT is not suitable for higher torque engines, save for Audi, with their chain driven CVT.

Whether or not Honda will use this principle with the Accord IMA... I'd love to know.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:03 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

I can't imagine liking a CVT The sound of the engine revving through the gears is appealing to me, even in an AT.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:10 PM
The Acura Granddaddy

Accord V6 Goes Hybrid

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=247988

Accord Hybrid Set to debut later this year with V-6 performance and four-cylinder Fuel Economy

Torrance, Calif. 06/28/2004 -- American Honda released the first images of its 2005 Accord V6 Hybrid, a gas-electric hybrid version of Honda's best-selling car, scheduled to go on-sale at Honda dealerships nationwide later this year. Utilizing a next-generation hybrid powertrain, the Accord V6 Hybrid will deliver power and performance above the current 240-horsepower Accord V6 with the fuel economy of a compact-class, four-cylinder Civic sedan.

"Putting hybrid technology into our most popular model is a further indication of Honda's commitment to hybrid technology and our confidence that consumers are ready for more hybrid models," said Tom Elliot, executive vice president of American Honda Motor Co., Inc. "The Accord hybrid delivers both increased performance and higher fuel economy. It takes hybrid technology into all new territory."

With class-leading performance and fuel efficiency provided by a highly advanced and super-efficient hybrid V6 powertrain, the Accord Hybrid will produce in excess of 240 horsepower with near-peak torque available across the engine's full operating range for exhilarating performance with superb acceleration, passing power and cruising comfort.

Honda's innovative new Variable Cylinder Management (VCM) technology further enhances the efficiency of the Accord Hybrid by deactivating three of the engine's six cylinders during cruising and deceleration with no impact to vehicle performance or passenger comfort.

Honda's advanced and super-efficient Integrated Motor Assist (IMA) hybrid system utilizes a high-output electric motor/generator to provide for more efficient engine operation by capturing electrical energy during braking or deceleration and using that energy to help power the vehicle. In addition, the system features the ability to shut off the engine during vehicle stops for further efficiency gains. The resulting savings in fuel consumption, along with VCM cylinder deactivation, provides for fuel economy comparable to a compact-class Civic sedan powered by a four-cylinder engine.

The Accord Hybrid's exterior has a number of exclusive features including a unique front grille design, new taillight appearance and special hybrid badging, along with a rear trunk lid spoiler and exclusive alloy wheel design.

Honda introduced the Insight, America's first hybrid vehicle and still the fuel economy leader, in December 1999. Honda then took hybrid technology into the mainstream with the introduction of the Civic Hybrid in March 2002. Sales of the Insight and Civic Hybrid accounted for more than half of all U.S. hybrid sales in 2003, according to R.L. Polk vehicle registration data. Civic Hybrid set consecutive sales records in March, April and May with year-to-date sales up nearly 20 percent versus last year through the end of May.

Old 06-30-2004, 10:03 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Honda Recalls Accord, Acura CL/TL for transmission and fuel pumps

Honda to recall 640,000 vehicles - - Reuters / June 30, 2004 - - Source: Autonews

TOKYO -- Japan's third-biggest automaker, Honda Motor Co., said on Wednesday it plans a recall of some 640,000 vehicles worldwide due to suspected defects with transmission and fuel pump systems.

The recall will cost an estimated $74.84 million.

Of the total, Honda said it will recall about 500,000 Accord, Acura TL and Acura CL models in the United States, while recalling 38,000 in Canada.

Honda will also recall some 68,000 units of five models including Odyssey minivans in Japan, and some 11,000 elsewhere in Asia.

The rest of the recalls will be in the Middle East and Mexico.

Old 06-30-2004, 10:33 PM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
wow an actual recall? am i reading this rite?

wow
Old 06-30-2004, 10:37 PM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
good to see honda finally step up 2 the plate IMO...at least save itself some face and dignity
Old 06-30-2004, 10:47 PM
Got da Internet Goin Nutz

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
But do they have a bulletproof fix for the problem?
Old 07-01-2004, 07:58 AM
Pro

Where's the details? Can't get into that site.
Old 07-01-2004, 08:40 AM
Lone Wolf

Received 497 Likes on 399 Posts
yea its good there doing this, but whats with the delay.
Old 07-01-2004, 02:36 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Just got my car back from the dealer today. New (refurbished) tranny and ECU. Drives the same way as before...meaning no difference in performance as some have claimed. The shifts are smoother and faster and no more slipping and no noises.
Old 07-01-2004, 06:21 PM
Intermediate

Any idea what years or engine configurations are involved? The last warranty offer was for only 00/01 accord v6 and similar year acura vehicles.

Interesting that the fuel pump is included too, any idea what problems arise if the fuel pump is not working correctly?

I'm concerned because I have a 98 accord coupe that not only is on its second transmission(excluded from the 00/01 100k warranty offer) but also seems to have trouble starting due to a fuel problem.
Old 07-01-2004, 07:09 PM
Rod
Drifting

Originally Posted by stopsign
Any idea what years or engine configurations are involved? The last warranty offer was for only 00/01 accord v6 and similar year acura vehicles.

Interesting that the fuel pump is included too, any idea what problems arise if the fuel pump is not working correctly?

I'm concerned because I have a 98 accord coupe that not only is on its second transmission(excluded from the 00/01 100k warranty offer) but also seems to have trouble starting due to a fuel problem.
My friend's 2000 Prelude was included in the extended warranty on the transmission.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:03 PM
Moderator Alumnus

USA Today Article - More Honda Accord Hybrid Info

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...d-hybrid_x.htm

Hybrid Accord vows performance, efficiency

By James R. Healey, USA TODAY
Honda confirmed an open secret Tuesday, saying it will sell a gas-electric hybrid version of the 2005 Accord sedan, making hybrid power available the first time in a midsize family car sold in huge numbers.

Rival Toyota is likely to field a hybrid version of its midsize Camry sedan, but not for at least a year.

Honda also noted that the hybrid Accord will run on just three of its six cylinders part of the time to save more fuel. And it will be marketed not as a fuel-sipper for thrifty buyers, but as a high-end sedan with more power than the gasoline V-6 model, as well as better mileage.

"We see the (hybrid) market expanding, and a key part is offering both performance and fuel efficiency," says Honda spokesman Andy Boyd.

The Accord hybrid is to go on sale in November or December for about $30,000 — roughly $3,000 more than a top-end Accord EX gas car — outfitted with leather upholstery, side air bags, five-speed automatic transmission and other premium features.

Honda forecasts about 32 miles per gallon in town, 38 on the highway, same as a smaller Civic four-cylinder gasoline car. Accord EX with V-6 gasoline engine and automatic transmission is rated 21/30 mpg.

The hybrid system teams the Accord's 3-liter gasoline V-6 with a modest electric motor that kicks in when additional power is needed. Hybrids shut off their gas engines at stoplights and other long pauses.

The Accord will shut off half the V-6's cylinders under light load to save even more. Honda's redesigned 2005 Odyssey minivan will have the cylinder shutoff feature, too. General Motors and DaimlerChrysler also use cylinder shutoff on some models.

Accord hybrid will be rated 255 horsepower vs. the gasoline V-6's 240 hp.

Emphasizing performance "may very well be a good approach," says Jim Hossack, analyst at industry consultant AutoPacific. It distracts buyers from complaints and controversy about hybrids' disappointing fuel economy and injects an emotional appeal that helps command a higher price, Hossack says.

Lexus likewise plans to pitch its RX 440h hybrid as a hot-rod sport-utility vehicle that happens to get good mileage. It will be rated about 270 hp, vs. the gasoline V-6's 230 hp. RX 400h is due in December.

"It's unfortunate" that Honda will be first with the high-performance hybrid pitch, says Lexus spokesman Brad Nelson, "but it's not going to change our approach and our message."

Honda also sells a Civic hybrid and Insight two-seater hybrid. Toyota's hybrid is the Prius sedan.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
interesting...30k for a 255HP Accord, didnt mention anything about AWD
Old 07-01-2004, 10:11 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Man ... this is quite a temping package .... if the exterior looks slightly better then ...

There are going to be so many options for my next car ... I need 3-4 years just to let the options play out
Old 07-02-2004, 02:08 AM

"It's unfortunate" that Honda will be first with the high-performance hybrid pitch, says Lexus spokesman Brad Nelson, "but it's not going to change our approach and our message."
Well they stole they hell outta that future method from Lexus. A good choice of being a thief though.
Old 07-02-2004, 03:41 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Well there go my answers. 38mpg (bet I could better this by at least 5), unfortunately AT, 255 total hp.

But no sign of HID... :sqnteek:
Old 07-02-2004, 07:07 AM
Race Director

Received 623 Likes on 502 Posts
But still packaged in rather ugly sheet metal with more weight weighing down on the average chassis.
If you do the math it will take a lot of miles to get your money back - even with uncle SAM giving you a $1500 rebate.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:21 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well they stole they hell outta that future method from Lexus. A good choice of being a thief though.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
still not sure about this one...esp if the dealers decide to jack up the prices when it first comes out, which they usually do...iti'll be about 32-35k? i remember when the S2000 first came out some dealers had a $5-7 markup and wouldnt negotiate...
Old 07-02-2004, 09:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

Heh heh...wow sick...you really are full of yourself aren't you? If I remember right, wasn't Honda first to concept with the performance hybrid idea a couple years ago with the Dualnote. Unless you can give me something proving Honda stole that idea from Lexus too, I'm going to have to believe Lexus has been lifting the idea from Honda.
Old 07-02-2004, 09:16 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

:sqnteek:

Quick Reply: Honda: Accord News