View Poll Results: What do you like Better?
Accord Concept Rims and Bodykit
73.97%
2004 Acura TL A-Spec Bodykit and Rims
26.03%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Honda: Accord News

Old 10-21-2012, 03:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Test drove the new Accord sedan. Interior is pretty nice in this price range, and it has torque for once! The CVT isn't as bad as I expected either.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Originally Posted by Hapa DC5
^ how dare you get back on topic
Indeed, let's keep this thread on topic.....trolls notwithstanding.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:39 AM
RDXing

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Hapa DC5
How do you say backpedal in Cantonese?
"Doa Hoah Yai" (Facing Backward Pedal)
The following users liked this post:
Hapa DC5 (10-21-2012)
Old 10-21-2012, 09:57 PM
brahs be jelly

Received 247 Likes on 169 Posts
You're all trolls So a FWD automatic Accord can do 0-60 in 5.6 on regular gas but a 370 hp AWD DCT RL can't pull a sub-5 with the instantaneous power of electric motors? Even if it isn't at M5 levels, it doesn't need to be. It should still keep up with a 550i which is better than slumming it up in a CTS-V.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:07 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by knavinusa
Test drove the new Accord sedan. Interior is pretty nice in this price range, and it has torque for once! The CVT isn't as bad as I expected either.
Always has but when you got that weak 2.0t it would feel more powerful.
MTEAZY (10-21-2012)
Old 10-22-2012, 12:01 AM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by MTEAZY
You're all trolls So a FWD automatic Accord can do 0-60 in 5.6 on regular gas but a 370 hp AWD DCT RL can't pull a sub-5 with the instantaneous power of electric motors? Even if it isn't at M5 levels, it doesn't need to be. It should still keep up with a 550i which is better than slumming it up in a CTS-V.
You mean sub-4.0 seconds.

Originally Posted by SSFTSX
RLX will should do under 4 second. with its electic torque, AWD, more advance transmission.
I'll believe it when I see it.

If RLX does under 4.0 seconds, NSX would have to be under 3.0 seconds.

Last edited by AZuser; 10-22-2012 at 12:03 AM.
civicdrivr (10-22-2012)
Old 10-22-2012, 01:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
Always has but when you got that weak 2.0t it would feel more powerful.
I don't know what you were trying to get at when you posted that comment, but I'm pretty sure it makes a little more torque than the Accord's 2.4.

Do you 4G TLers always like to come troll Car Talk/Auto News for fun?

Last edited by knavinusa; 10-22-2012 at 01:53 AM.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:00 AM
brahs be jelly

2.0T neva loose!
Old 10-22-2012, 02:15 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
People who own 4G TLs are known to be bitter about all the mean remarks tossed at them.

Also, SSFTSX wins for greatest troll on AZ, at least during my time.
civicdrivr (10-23-2012)
Old 10-22-2012, 06:30 AM
My first Avatar....

Received 5,806 Likes on 3,726 Posts
Originally Posted by AZuser
You mean sub-4.0 seconds.

I'll believe it when I see it.

If RLX does under 4.0 seconds, NSX would have to be a time machine, accellerating at the speed of light. Thus altering the rotation of the earth with its massive torque.
fixed.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:22 AM
brahs be jelly

Originally Posted by pttl
fixed.
Do you know how electric motors deliver torque?
Old 10-22-2012, 11:13 AM
My first Avatar....

^

seriously?
Old 10-22-2012, 07:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Whats with all the 0-60 talk
Old 10-22-2012, 07:41 PM

Received 5,880 Likes on 2,898 Posts
Originally Posted by MTEAZY
I think my irony-meter just exploded.
crazyasiantl (10-23-2012)
Old 10-23-2012, 02:01 AM
Race Director

Received 596 Likes on 430 Posts
Originally Posted by ttribe
wouldn't be the first time he said that.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:21 AM
My first Avatar....

Originally Posted by ttribe
+1

Yeah....some of the "irony" is amazing.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:48 AM
brahs be jelly

Originally Posted by trolltribe
Originally Posted by crazyasiantroll
wouldn't be the first time he said that.
Originally Posted by pttroll
+1

Yeah....some of the "irony" is amazing.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 66 Posts
What I find most humorous is the obstinate droning on about the Accord's 0-60 coefficient of drag, aero design etc... when the target demographic could give two shits less.

Yes, there will be those hardcore FWD (insert Accord, Civic, Jetta etc)... but the mom / dad / grandmother / grandfather etc who would buy this wants a "point A to point B" vehicle. They know where the fuel cap is, and might put wiper fluid in... if they can muster it. The certainly can't fathom to think about anything else - nor make time to do the little maintenance upkeep.... Vanilla sells... Toyota knows it... VW knows it... and you bet your ass Honda knows it.

American drivers are lazy. Thus, we continue to experience the domination of FWD, over zealous devices (nannied) transportation vehicles.

It's hard to conceive comparing the Accord next to a 335i - let alone any other RWD sedan or coupe variant. Especially when you start to consider the different driving dynamics, vehicle target demographics, cost to own ratio etc...

A chassis setup for RWD from the start is much more pleasing IMO...
Old 10-23-2012, 11:12 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
wow...away for a few days and now I can't find my previous post...lol.............
Old 10-23-2012, 01:09 PM
brahs be jelly

Originally Posted by jnc2000
What I find most humorous is the obstinate droning on about the Accord's 0-60 coefficient of drag, aero design etc... when the target demographic could give two shits less.

Yes, there will be those hardcore FWD (insert Accord, Civic, Jetta etc)... but the mom / dad / grandmother / grandfather etc who would buy this wants a "point A to point B" vehicle. They know where the fuel cap is, and might put wiper fluid in... if they can muster it. The certainly can't fathom to think about anything else - nor make time to do the little maintenance upkeep.... Vanilla sells... Toyota knows it... VW knows it... and you bet your ass Honda knows it.

American drivers are lazy. Thus, we continue to experience the domination of FWD, over zealous devices (nannied) transportation vehicles.

It's hard to conceive comparing the Accord next to a 335i - let alone any other RWD sedan or coupe variant. Especially when you start to consider the different driving dynamics, vehicle target demographics, cost to own ratio etc...

A chassis setup for RWD from the start is much more pleasing IMO...
Yea those Crown Vics are some of the best driver's cars out there.. V8 RWD yo
Old 10-23-2012, 01:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 66 Posts
^ mind = closed.

Keep on trolling ya'll
The following 3 users liked this post by jnc2000:
crazyasiantl (10-24-2012), jwong77 (10-23-2012), pttl (10-24-2012)
Old 10-23-2012, 03:05 PM
Midnight Marauder

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by jnc2000

I think all of the aero design stuff is for the European audience since this Accord will be sold worldwide instead of the old one that was mainly meant for North American consumption.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:18 AM
Race Director

Received 623 Likes on 502 Posts
Originally Posted by jwong77
I think all of the aero design stuff is for the European audience since this Accord will be sold worldwide instead of the old one that was mainly meant for North American consumption.
It is very unlikely this USDM Accord will be the Euro Accord - still too big.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:23 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Finally saw an Accord out on the road, a Touring. Gotta love the those LED DRL's
Old 10-27-2012, 07:17 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Thumbs up NY Daily

The release of the all-new 2013 Accord arguably marks the biggest launch in Honda’s history, and the automotive giant is not holding anything back. Coupled with a complete redesign and a whole slew of industry-leading standard features, the ninth generation Accord is living up to the hype of the media buzz surrounding its launch.

“The latest incarnation of the Accord represents the best value-per-dollar of any vehicle on the market,” said Chris Kelly, who road tested the all-new Accord for VehicleTests.com. “After seeing all the high-tech standard features that come with the Accord, I got reverse sticker shock because the car was so inexpensive with more technology and safety features than a lot of luxury cars that are twice its price,” which is why VehicleTests.com awarded the 2013 Honda Accord with its vaunted 5-Star rating.

The 2013 Accord comes at starting price of $21,680 with an array of hi-tech standard features, including a rearview camera and Expanded View Driver’s Mirror. Other standard technologies include Bluetooth HandsFreeLink phone interface, Multi-Information Display (i-MID), SMS text messaging function and Pandora Internet Radio interface. These are just some of the reasons for the high praise from VehicleTests.com, which produces independent test-drive videos for consumers.

“After I spent the whole day driving the new Accord, I found myself missing the great features it has once I got back into my own car,” adds Kelly. “You get used to those features really fast.”

Citing "reverse sticker-shock" based on the vehicle's high-tech features compared to its affordable price, VehicleTests.com awarded the 2013 Honda Accord a 5-Star rating.

Drive safer

One of the features to which Kelly refers is the new Honda LaneWatch blind-spot display, which enhances visibility of the passenger-side roadway thanks to a camera that displays what is in your blind spot on the i-MID screen. The Lane Departure Warning system uses cameras to make sure the vehicle is aligned within the lines on the roadway and alerts the driver if he or she is drifting. There is also Forward Collision Warning, which alerts the driver if he or she is closing in too fast on the car ahead.

This new technology, coupled with the 2013 Accord’s standard safety features, also contributed to its 5-Star rating from VehicleTests.com. The vehicle comes with 4-wheel anti-lock braking system, a total of 6 airbags, including front and rear head airbags and dual front side-mounted airbags. In addition, the Accord has emergency braking assist, electronic brake force distribution, both a driver and passenger head restraint whiplash protection system, stability and traction control and tire pressure monitoring. Additionally, the Bluetooth HandsFreeLink phone interface and SMS text messaging function allows for hands-free phone usage, which means less distracted driving.

Go faster for less

The 2013 Accord comes in eight different trim levels, from the standard LX to the EXL, including the all-new Sport and top-of-the-line Touring models. Engine options include the 2.4L four-cylinder with 185 horsepower and the six-cylinder with 278 horsepower, which is more horsepower than the Lexus ES, BMW 328i or Mercedes Benz C Class. However, more power doesn’t mean less fuel economy. Due to its new Earth Dreams technology, the 2013 Accord offers better gas mileage than previous Accords that had less horsepower.

While the all-new Accord has a lot more horsepower, the cabin was extremely quiet during the road test. “Normal conversation volume measures in at 65 decibels,” says Kelly. “The new Accord measures in at an exceptional 56 decibels. It was amazing to see the amount of soundproofing that Honda put into the vehicle.” Under the hood of the 2013 Accord, you’ll find a thick soundproofing mat, which helps keeps most engine noise away from the cabin. However, Kelly says that the Accord also features additional rubber gaskets around the edges, which provides even more soundproofing.

As part of its road-test, VehicleTests.com drove the vehicle for 50 miles on the highway at 60 miles per hour with cruise-control, in order to test the fuel economy — listed at 35 miles per gallon. Kelly and his team found that the Accord they tested actually exceeded the listed miles per gallon by a good amount. However, he could not disclose the actual figures for legal reasons.

The American-made Honda Accord has been 1 of the best selling cars in history, which is 1 of the reasons why it has boasted the highest resell value of any car in its class and has won many resell value awards from Kelley Blue Book and Edmunds.com. In fact, New York Honda dealers are already celebrating its sales success - it is selling faster than any Honda in history.

Based on early reception, this vehicle is receiving — including the high rating from VehicleTests.com — it looks like Honda’s problem is not going to be market share because customers know a deal when they see one. With industry-leading standard features, a shockingly low MSRP and more technology and safety features than many more expensive luxury vehicles, Honda may have a challenge keeping up with the demand in the market place.

SatinSilverAV6 (10-28-2012)
Old 10-31-2012, 07:19 AM
Safety Car

Post Hfp

The totally new 2013 Honda Accord has just now started trickling into dealerships across the country, but here at SEMA, we're already getting our 1st look at what the future has in store for Honda's midsize offering. Arriving in Honda showrooms next spring is this limited-edition HFP performance edition of the 2013 Accord Coupe, and although no power upgrades are on tap, there's some extra kit that will indeed make things more interesting out on the road.

Honda's HFP upgrades start with visual add-ons like 19-inch alloy wheels and a rear decklid spoiler, and further changes are found underneath that sheetmetal with the addition of a unique sport suspension that lowers the car by 15 millimeters and enhances overall handling. Of course, no sporty Accord would be complete without the necessary body enhancements to the front fascia, side sills and rear bumper, and don't worry, there will be plenty of HFP badges on both the exterior and interior.

Speaking of interior, the Accord HFP will have red illumination found throughout the cabin as well as – wait for it – specially branded floor mats.

A Honda spokesperson confirmed to Autoblog that the HFP package will be available with both the 4- and 6-cylinder engine. We've already had a chance to drive a 2-door Accord with the V6 engine, and it's seriously good. The HFP add-ons should make this a truly sweet package.

Only 500 of the Accord Coupe HFP models will be produced, and the whole package will be offered as a $4,650 option package, not including the cost of installation. Scroll down for the full details in Honda's press release.
American Honda Highlights Performance and Personalization at 2012 SEMA Show

2013 Honda Accord HFP makes world debut; Acura brand returns to SEMA Show with 2013 ILX; HPD displays championship race cars

10/30/2012 - LAS VEGAS

The Honda Factory Performance® (HFP®) package for the 2013 Accord Coupe makes its world debut today as part of the American Honda display at the 2012 SEMA Show. The all-new 2013 Accord Coupe and Sedan set a new standard for midsize car styling, efficiency and performance, and 3 modified Accords on display further highlight the personalized appearance and performance potential of the model.

Adjacent to the Honda display, Acura returns to the SEMA Show after a 6-year absence on the strength of the all-new 2013 ILX luxury compact sedan, displaying 2 modified ILX vehicles and the striking Acura Supercar Concept vehicle featured in the blockbuster movie "The Avengers."

Honda Performance Development, Inc. (HPD) merits its own section of the display with championship vehicles including a replica of Dario Franchitti's 2012 Indianapolis 500-winning Indy car, the Muscle Milk® Racing 2012 American Le Mans Series P1 champion car and a B-spec Honda Fit race car that recently won its class at the 2012 SCCA Runoffs.

"Honda, Acura and HPD are on a roll this year, and the SEMA Show gives us a great opportunity to show off a bit," said Mike Accavitti, vice president of National Marketing Operations for American Honda Motor Co., Inc. "With the new Honda Accord clearly excelling in all areas, the ILX opening new doors for Acura, and HPD building championship race cars left and right, it's clear that the magic is back."

The limited-edition HFP package for the 2013 Accord Coupe is set to go on sale in the spring of 2013 and includes: 19-inch HFP alloy wheels; decklid spoiler; HFP sport suspension (lowers height by 15mm and enhances handling); HFP front, side and rear underbody spoilers; red interior illumination; HFP floor mats and HFP badges for each side and the trunk. The HFP package, like all Honda Genuine Accessories, carries a 3-year/36,000-mile limited warranty when installed at the time of new vehicle purchase, and is engineered to be fully compatible with the vehicle. Enhancing its exclusive appeal, only 500 examples of this limited-edition HFP package will be sold for the 2013 Accord. The Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of the package, not including installation, will be $4,650.

Also on display, a 2013 Accord Sedan featuring the X-Package and additional available Honda Genuine Accessories is designed to turn heads and accentuate the sedan's aerodynamic styling. The X-Package for the Accord Sedan is currently available for purchase nationwide at Honda dealers. The package includes front, side and rear underbody spoilers; a sport grille and a rear-wing spoiler with a MSRP of $2,171, excluding installation.

Reaching out to the enthusiast community, Honda invited 2 independent vehicle tuners to build and display their Accord concepts at the SEMA Show. Tuners were asked to push the limits of performance and style with their builds, and the vehicles on display demonstrate the personalized potential of the Accord Coupe and Sedan. After previously building amazing versions of the 2011 CR-Z and the 2012 Civic Si, Bisimoto Engineering returns with a 401 hp version of the Accord V6 Coupe in "Grand Touring" style. With 3 prior Honda project builds under their belts, including a 2007 Element, a 2009 Pilot and a 2011 CR-Z, DSO Eyewear / MAD Industries shows off their all-new Accord Sedan with upscale customization inside and out.

The HPD Supercharged CR-Z Concept rounds out the Honda section of the display with a further exploration of the performance potential of the CR-Z Sport Hybrid. Expanding on the CR-Z supercharged engine displayed at the 2011 SEMA Show, HPD made enhancements to improve acceleration, handling and stopping by adding a sport exhaust, developing a sport suspension, designing wheels with high performance tires and adding sport brakes.

The all-new 2013 Acura ILX luxury compact sedan offers a great chassis, dynamic engine choices, and sophisticated styling, perfect for the car enthusiast seeking compact fun and performance, with luxury and technology matching much larger vehicles. Honda R&D's Team Honda Research-West chose to highlight the performance potential of the car by building the 2013 Acura ILX Endurance Racer, on display, which will compete in NASA's grueling 25 Hours of Thunderhill endurance race later this year. Additionally on display, Evasive Motorsports created the 2013 Acura ILX Street Build project car, featuring an Acura Genuine Accessories aero kit and aftermarket supercharger among many modifications designed to provide a fun, daily drivable car that is tastefully done.

Vehicles on Display at the American Honda Booth

Honda Display

2013 Accord Coupe HFP®
2013 Accord Sedan – with Honda Genuine Accessory X-Package
HPD Supercharged CR-Z Concept
HPD CR-Z engine concept with supercharger (engine only)
Bisimoto 2013 Honda Accord Coupe "Grand Touring"*
2013 Honda Accord Sedan by DSO Eyewear/MAD Industries*

Acura Display

Team Honda Research-West (THR-W) 2013 Acura ILX Endurance Racer
Evasive Motorsports 2013 Acura ILX Street Build*
Acura Supercar Concept movie vehicle featured in "The Avengers"

Honda Performance Development, Inc. Display

Honda Powered DW12 Indianapolis 500 Winning Indy car Replica
HPD ARX-03a ALMS P1 Championship Race Car
HPD B-Spec Fit Race Car
Old 10-31-2012, 10:52 AM

Received 5,292 Likes on 3,626 Posts
Saw my first 2013 Accord in the wild today. Pretty sure it was an LX, almost mistook it for a Genesis from the rear. Nice looking car.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:21 PM
▒JDM ¥ KING▒

Received 141 Likes on 65 Posts
alled Accord in Russia:

Honda |

Will this model still be called Inspire in Japan and no more Accord in JDM line-up (end of TSX) ??

IMO not a positive vibe... no more Civic and now no Accord in Japan?! hmm

...of course we can see some features nicer then USDM... nothing new.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:38 PM
Race Director

A bigger car like the USDM Accord can work in Russia but not in the rest of Europe.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:53 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
^^^^^

Agree. Europeans always want a smaller-sized Accord in Europe, and not the much bigger US Accord.

So unless Honda discontinues the Accord model in Europe (which has no chance of happening), otherwise there will always be an equivalent Acura TSX. The only question is that whether Honda will sell this TSX in the US market or not.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:51 AM
Race Director

^ A really cheap way for Honda to address this is to use the ILX as the EuroAccord.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:20 AM
Safety Car

Post Msn

After 37 years in production, the Honda Accord is unquestionably 1 of the most recognizable and popular vehicles on the road today. So how does an automaker improve on such a proven winner without mucking up a tried-and-true formula for success?

Honda's answer: nothing out of the ordinary.

While it might not look like it, Honda has completely revamped this midsize category heavyweight for the 2013 model year. Seriously, every inch of the car has been reworked. The new Accord has a sharper look that combines more interior space and some much-needed aesthetic tweaks.

However, did Honda do enough to maintain the Accord's top-dog status in a marketplace flooded with more competition than the Japanese automaker has seen in years? Or, are the changes too subtle for anyone or notice or care?

Model lineup
The layout of the Accord lineup doesn't really change for the new generation. The existing trim designations will carry over, and the vehicle will continue to be offered in both sedan and coupe form. Both variants will be available with either a 4-cylinder engine or a V6, with additional hybrid options to follow.

The new body design is both unmistakably recognizable as an Accord and entirely new at the same time. Overall length, as well as wheelbase, is slightly shorter than the 2012 version, while interior space has actually increased. A focus on materials has also resulted in greater rigidity and lower vehicle weight across the model lineup.

The new Accord sedan lineup starts with the LX as the entry-level trim. Next comes a new trim for 2013, the Sport, which primarily just adds a few aerodynamic and faux-performance bits. Adding a roster of equipment to the LX are the EX and EX-L versions, the latter of which is available with the V6 engine. Topping the range is the new-for-2013 Touring trim, which includes features such as LED headlights and adaptive cruise control. The Accord Coupe trims basically follow the same scheme, although without the Sport and Touring variants.

A plug-in hybrid variant, the Accord PHEV, will arrive in early 2013 as a 2014 model, and will be based on the Touring trim in terms of equipment. It will then be followed by a traditional (non-plug-in) hybrid.

Under the hood
The engines powering the latest Accord models have received modest bumps in power and efficiency, as well as some noteworthy new technology. Obviously, they both continue to feature all of Honda's expected technologies, including the ubiquitous i-VTEC system controlling the engines' four valves per cylinder.

The standard 4-cylinder engine remains 2.4 liters in displacement, but gains a significant feature — direct injection. Thanks to this, as well as numerous other tweaks, the new unit now produces 185 horsepower (up 8 horsepower from last year) and 181 lb-ft of torque (up 20 lb-ft). Despite the increase in power, the new engine sips less fuel than its predecessor, rated at 27 mpg city/36 mpg highway.

For the V6, changes are less noteworthy, but welcome nonetheless. Despite lacking direct injection like the 4-cylinder, the 3.5-liter V6 engine receives a modest boost of seven horsepower to a new total of 278, although in return, torque drops by a hair, to 252 lb-ft.

The cylinder-deactivation system remains in place, but it has been redesigned to no longer need the middle 4-cylinder stage, now simply switching between 3 and 6 cylinders. The V6 engine continues to be offered with a 6-speed manual transmission, and its automatic option has been updated to a new 6-speed unit as well.

The plug-in hybrid (PHEV) variant will feature a powertrain consisting of a 2.0-liter 4-cylinder engine mated to a 124-kilowatt electric motor, producing a combined output of 196 horsepower. Featuring several different drive modes, the PHEV will be able to run all-electric for 10 to 15 miles and achieve a total tank range of over 500 miles, as well as an expected 100 MPGe fuel-economy rating.

The rear of the new Accord sedan is certainly attractive enough, but in our opinion it looks more than a little like a Hyundai Genesis.

Inner space
Interior build quality, fit and finish have for years been strong suits with Honda, and the newest Accord is no exception. Opinion of the design itself, however, can be a bit subjective, and we're disappointed to see the continued presence of Honda's now-trademark "proboscis" of a primary control dial jutting out from the dash. Luckily, that's about our only grievance with the interior; however, if we're asked to pick nits, the navigation software feels dated and could stand for a refreshing.

In terms of equipment and gadgets, the new Accord is chock-full of features. All Accords will come standard with an 8-inch screen to display and control various car functions (audio, climate, etc.). All the usual modern features are present and standard, such as Bluetooth, USB audio and even a rearview camera. There's also an available display system designed to assist with blind-spot detection, as well as forward-collision and lane-departure warning systems. All Accords have the ability to work with your phone's SMS texting system, reading incoming texts aloud and replying with one of 6 default responses. (Worth noting: Apple's iPhone doesn't appear to support this system at this time.)

Also introduced on the 2013 Accord is the new HondaLink technology, a system that uses your smartphone to connect the Accord to various entertainment, safety and information programs and apps.

On the road
We recently sampled some of the new Accord offerings and came away mostly impressed. But it's no sports car, and given Honda's history of engineering impeccably crisp, lively manners into even the lowliest of its automobiles, that can be a bit of a bitter pill to swallow.

Gone for 2013 is the sporty double-wishbone front suspension design, now replaced with a more typical MacPherson strut layout. Honda says this improves comfort, and we figure it most likely costs less, too. Considering that the Accord's steering has gone the electric route, the change in suspension design doesn't result in an overly dramatic change in steering feel. The new electric power-steering system does effectively remove steering-wheel "slop," but it doesn't help improve steering feel itself, which is nearly nonexistent. The steering ratio, however, is intuitive and makes for easy, correction-free cornering. The suspension's damping is quite well sorted, and the Accord handles itself well. So that's the downside, basically. Honda is continuing to slide away from its once-brilliant handling feel.

On the plus side, the new Accord has a lot going for it behind the wheel. The brakes are wonderful — strong and full of feel. The V6 engine, while not the most powerful on the market, feels potent enough and delivers a fantastic, healthy engine tone. Amazingly, even the 4-cylinder's continuously variable transmission is quite good - something we're surprised we'd ever write. Still, we're sworn to always prefer a traditional stick shift, and have to give kudos to Honda here for keeping it real and continuing to offer a manual-transmission Accord. Particularly when paired with the 4-cylinder engine, the new 6-speed unit is a delight.

It's worth mentioning that visibility is great out of all windows, something that, along with the wonderful blind-spot camera system (yes, it sounds gimmicky, but trust us, it's excellent), helps to make for a very reassuring drive.

Right for you?
The Accord is still a great family car, and truly has no noteworthy faults. The problem is, enthusiast loyalty to Honda has been slowly waning for years now, and competition has never been stiffer. The new Nissan Altima has arrived, and the next Mazda6 is right around the corner. Many car lovers may feel that Honda just hasn't done enough to capture their attention.

Still, the Accord won't lose its stride any time soon. If you're shopping for a great all-around midsize car, then you're already familiar with the reputation of the Accord and we can safely say it'll fit the bill as well as it always has. While we mentioned that the handling feel isn't representative of what Honda once was, the average Accord buyer won't care one bit.

Pricing starts at $21,680 for the LX ($23,350 for the Coupe) and topping out at $33,430 for the Touring trim.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:09 AM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by biker
^ A really cheap way for Honda to address this is to use the ILX as the EuroAccord.
But then you can't really call it the Euro Accord since it uses the Civic platform.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:30 AM

Received 5,880 Likes on 2,898 Posts
But then you can't really call it the Euro Accord since it uses the Civic platform.
The Euro Accord used to be based off the TSX. Was the TSX an Accord or Civic platform? I honestly don't know.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:37 AM
Race Director

^ neither and it's the other way around the TSX is based on the EuroAccord. The CR-V was based on a Civic platform - who cares. The platform doesn't matter much as much as the end product. The ILX is big enough and has enough features (with the exception of a diesel) to work as a EuroAccord replcement.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:47 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
^^^^^

I don't think Honda Europe can get away with every big European Honda vehicles all based on the single Civic chassis. With the demise of the Honda Legend, there has to be at least one upscale model based on the global Accord chassis, and the EuroAccord is the best and only logical choice.

Historically, EuroAccord is designed and built specifically for the European markets. So the designed-for-NA-market ILX is highly unlikely to be the next EuroAccord.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:55 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Really liking the new Accord interior. I love the Optima inside and out but I somehow think the Accord is probably of higher quality...
Old 11-09-2012, 06:07 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Still have yet to see one on the road in SoCal.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:58 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Actually Euro Civic is built on Honda City platform. not on Civic Platform. but features are so much it is priced closer to BMW 3 series. so Euro Accord on Civic platform is possibility. but since Honda will be competing against Lexus and Infiniti. they have to move Euro Accord even more upmarket.

Old 11-10-2012, 12:37 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,134 Likes on 4,804 Posts
I still have yet to test drive the new 9th gen, but my mom got a chance to. She tested an EX-L V6, and she said it felt cheap compared to her 8th gen

She specifically mentioned how the doors felt thinner and lighter, like there was no substance to them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Honda: Accord News