Great Artical on The New TL Sound System!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 07:11 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great Artical on The New TL Sound System!!

The October/November issue of the Absolute Sound mag has a great artical about the TL's DVD-A surround audio system. Says that is better than the Lexus Levinson System as long as you are playing DVD-A . This must make it the best stock sound system out there.
Old 09-23-2003, 10:43 PM
Burning Brakes

problem is, nothing if anything at all comes in DVD-A... i just hope it doesnt sound as sh!tty as all the other honda/acura systems when it plays CD's.
Old 09-23-2003, 11:59 PM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

That seems like an odd statement. The sound system is better so long as DVD-A is played. I suppose that means the TL's sound system displays better audio fidelity when playing DVD-A? What were the comments when playing non DVD-A sources?
Old 09-25-2003, 03:27 PM
9th Gear

I have a DVD-A.......Mixed Live: Ferry Corsten........only one I have for now though.
Old 09-25-2003, 03:29 PM
Burning Brakes

we have over a dozen now, my dad has been buying them online in anticipation of the TL.

any chance we could get a scan of the magazine article?
Old 09-25-2003, 06:44 PM
Intermediate

Why does it seem odd that the system kicked the Lexus Levinson system's ass in DVD-A, but not 2ch CD? The Lexus Levinson system is an multi buck optional system, and the TL's system is standard equipment. Duh!! The TL system playing CDs did sound very good with a real subwoofer, and using the center channel speaker for L+R fill. Panasonic also had enough sense to bias the CD play towards the front, not fake surround.l
Old 09-26-2003, 05:29 PM
Instructor

Dealers have literature listing titles and website regarding what is available, about 400 title so far. How come I feel as if Gilbo wouldn't be complaining if the technology was on a BMW? It would be "more proof of German engineering".
Old 09-26-2003, 08:17 PM
Burning Brakes

can anyone get this article scanned?
Old 09-26-2003, 10:35 PM
Advanced

I have a Sting and Eagles DVD-A, which both sound great on my home system. I can only imagine how good they would sound in a closed environment designed specifically around it. I also have several SACDs. Don't get caught up on current two channel CD. It's tommorrows 8 track, and tommorrow is sooner than you think. I know we all have a lot invested in the format, but it's now an outdated technology. Look at all of the technology advancements over the last 15 years since CD was introduced.

I'm shocked at how poor the current Bose system in the TL sounds. I picked up a Type-S today. My GMC Envoy's Bose system blows the TL Bose system away. What a disappointment that was. The exhaust is another thing. That sounds pretty cool. Especially when it opens up at about 5000 RPM!!! I'll have to spend more time with the radio off and the windows down.
Old 09-27-2003, 11:32 AM
Banned

I have read another article in which the author (as an advanced audiophile) wrote that it is the best audio system he ever experienced in a car.
Old 09-27-2003, 06:58 PM
Burning Brakes

to the original poster or anyone else that has read the article: could you please provide us with some details of what was said? I'm really curious and looking forward to this system.
Old 09-28-2003, 11:23 AM
Intermediate

Details of Absolute Sound article:

-a three way collaboration of Acura, Panasonic Automotive Systems, and five time Grammy -winning recording engineer, Elliot Scheiner = ELS brand
-Hardware is four 6.5" front and rear surrounds, two 1" tweeters, 3.5" center, and an 8" Kevlar-coned sub. Amp is six channel 225watts. Six disc changer plays CD, DVD-A, audio DVD-R, CD-R/W, and DTS encoded audio discs.
-Playing CDs, system was compared to Lexus Levinson, and BMW Premium systems. BMW wasn't even close to Acura or Lexus Lev. systems, "being far less transparent or extended (in either direction) than the others".
The Acura system "is quite impressive on CDs". Main complaints are "recessed midrange that causes vocals to sound a little hollow, and high frequenciesthat, due to lack of complete extension, miss some transient details."
Acura System "makes up for these shortcommings with superior imaging, a rich tonal balance, and bass that's powerful, punchy, and passably tight. " " ... its nice to hear car bass that is actually deep--as opposed to loud."
Lexus Levinson system "is the more neutral of the two,with more natural vocals, more extended highs, and greater overall resolution." Levinson's bass is not as deep or as full as Acura. "Vocals never imaged properly" due to lack of a center channel.
-- In DVD-A, "there is simply no contest". "the user interface is what DVD-A should be, but usually isn't." There are no menus to navagate, no decisions to make." The surround system sounds best from the front seats. Acura research indicated that the rear seats are only occasionally occupied.

The Absolute Sound is the best audiophile mag in the US, and this is a killer endorsement. I urge those interested in the TL to get a copy of this issue.
Old 09-28-2003, 02:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Excellent information. Thanks for taking the time to reference some details for us. Hopefully Acura will reprint the article as dealer literature.
Old 09-28-2003, 09:54 PM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

Originally posted by claudw
Details of Absolute Sound article:

-...Six disc changer plays CD, DVD-A, audio DVD-R...
Absolute Sound says the system plays DVD-R. Acura says it doesn't. I wonder what the final verdict is on this.
Old 09-28-2003, 10:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Panasonic seems to be onboard with DVD-A, so I'm guessing it was a misprint.
Old 10-06-2003, 12:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Stevens24
Dealers have literature listing titles and website regarding what is available, about 400 title so far. How come I feel as if Gilbo wouldn't be complaining if the technology was on a BMW? It would be "more proof of German engineering".
not complaining..but how does it stack up playing what 90+% of the music is recorded on...besides..we all know BMW doesnt need to resort to sound system to sell cars.. the cars themselves are of a superior driving pleasure
Old 10-07-2003, 02:48 PM
OG

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by gilboman
not complaining..but how does it stack up playing what 90+% of the music is recorded on...besides..we all know BMW doesnt need to resort to sound system to sell cars.. the cars themselves are of a superior driving pleasure
Old 10-07-2003, 03:14 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BMW's are nice cars, and I've considered them a few times over the years. But I don't think they are worth the price premium for the logo and image that goes with them.

-r
Old 10-07-2003, 04:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by acura_driver
BMW's are nice cars, and I've considered them a few times over the years. But I don't think they are worth the price premium for the logo and image that goes with them.

-r
if you can't appreciate BMW's for the driving experience and you just want a semi-luxury car than i agree they are overpriced. But there are a lot of people who still buy it solely for the image and logo though..i couldnt find any car that compared to the 3-series performance and driving experience and had some luxury as well...regardless of price...for me i was willing to pay a preimum for the better drive. and i really had no choice because other cars i considered didnt measure up.
Old 10-07-2003, 04:50 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you can't appreciate BMW's for the driving experience and you just want a semi-luxury car than i agree they are overpriced. But there are a lot of people who still buy it solely for the image and logo though..i couldnt find any car that compared to the 3-series performance and driving experience and had some luxury as well...regardless of price...for me i was willing to pay a preimum for the better drive. and i really had no choice because other cars i considered didnt measure up.
I test drove a 330i a couple of months ago. It was very good, but I think a bit less sporty handling-wise and more luxurious than the previous 3 series. Also, equipped the way I'd want it, the cost would be close to $50k out the door. For me it isn't worth it. However, if I could buy an M5 for that price I would.

-r
Old 10-07-2003, 08:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by acura_driver
I test drove a 330i a couple of months ago. It was very good, but I think a bit less sporty handling-wise and more luxurious than the previous 3 series. Also, equipped the way I'd want it, the cost would be close to $50k out the door. For me it isn't worth it. However, if I could buy an M5 for that price I would.

-r
yup i agree...the IS300 is more like the old 3 series...more sport less luxury... the new 3-series arent as sporty as the older ones or at least it feels that way..
Old 10-17-2003, 10:09 PM
Advanced

of course the dvd-a will sound better than a 2 ch ML system..... if you think about it, it would be very sad indeed if surround sound was not as good as a 2ch....
Old 10-18-2003, 08:10 PM
Intermediate

I read the article in another link that said that the radio didn't play DVD-R, only DVD-A, and CD's. Having DVD-R would not be any different than regular CD because if you recorded the song(s), it would be recorded in 2-ch format, and the other files that go along with the DVD-A format. So you couldn't get any more songs on a DVD-R than on a CD.