GMC: Acadia News

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 10:16 AM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i like it. i wonder if they'll make a denali version. only thing i dont like is the navigation is all blue?
Old 07-13-2006, 10:18 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Very impressed and interested.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:13 AM
Everyday Joe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm very interested...it fits what we're looking for- a large (Yukon) sized vehicle that does not look like a minivan. I like the MPG, especially compared to our Pathfinder and the current crop of large SUVs. The only downside is my own perception of a first year GM vehicle likely being a reliability issue.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:12 PM
hail to the victors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
please please get rid of that GMC logo.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:17 PM
givin the business

hotness...all it needs is a 2/2 drop and some billet 22's

Last edited by jz-97-c7; 07-13-2006 at 03:20 PM.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:14 PM
Smitty's Moral Police

No mention of the V8, I wonder if it will get similar MPG with DOD? Either way,
Old 07-13-2006, 04:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

The blue navigation is probably the night mode.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:32 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by unlemming
No mention of the V8, I wonder if it will get similar MPG with DOD? Either way,
Yeah. I wasn't sure if the Acadia was gonna get the V8. I know the Enclave is, and there's still a question mark with the Outlook. They'd better have DOD.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:27 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Very nice interior...if there is anything to complain about: the steering wheel sux, and the speedo and tach look cheap.

The exterior is 100x's better than the Trailblazer and Envoy. It's nothing innovative or cutting edge or even original, but a HUGE leap for GM.

...and yes, GMC needs a new logo and front grille design NOW!!!
Old 07-13-2006, 08:54 PM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
What am I missing here? It's still a 4000+lb vehicle with a price of over 30K whose milage will be similar to todays' SUVs. So we call them crossovers and all of a sudden all the people who used to buy SUVs or minivans (and no longer want one) will be suckered into these?

Nothing else other than a slight body shape change. Another fad may have been created but the big picture numbers (size, weight, price, milage) have not changed.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:12 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
What's that lever on the right side of the driver's seat??

Old 07-13-2006, 09:19 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
lumbar adjustment
Old 07-13-2006, 11:20 PM
Banned

"nice interior" is due to fancy work on the graphics software. Wait until you actually sit inside of one.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:53 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by Infamous425
lumbar adjustment
Old 07-14-2006, 06:58 AM
Smitty's Moral Police

Originally Posted by biker
What am I missing here?
It's a production GM product with a nice exterior, a nice interior, and a decent powertrain. And it's not a Corvette. That's pretty significant
Old 07-14-2006, 08:12 AM
Race Director

It's a production GM product with a nice exterior, a nice interior, and a decent powertrain. And it's not a Corvette. That's pretty significant
The same could have been said of previous SUVs from GM at launch.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:13 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by M TYPE X
"nice interior" is due to fancy work on the graphics software. Wait until you actually sit inside of one.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:17 AM
Everyday Joe

What am I missing here? It's still a 4000+lb vehicle with a price of over 30K whose milage will be similar to todays' SUVs. So we call them crossovers and all of a sudden all the people who used to buy SUVs or minivans (and no longer want one) will be suckered into these?

Nothing else other than a slight body shape change. Another fad may have been created but the big picture numbers (size, weight, price, milage) have not changed.
I'll take a stab at this...
First off the MPG is better than a similar sized SUV- Yukon Denali is 13/19. This is 18 or 19 (don't remember which)/24. That is a significant difference in my book at today's gas prices.

The look is more SUV than minivan. There are many people (count my wife and I) as people who need the room of a minivan but are too vain to drive a minivan. How many SUV drivers really need the capabilities of the SUV? Very few...but they sold bc of the image. You could make the argument for many different kinds of cars...how many Porsche drivers really use the capabilities of their 911?

Plus, these vehicles are built upon a car platform so you get a better ride/handling/lighter than a similarly sized platform.

Different strokes for different folks but I'm betting that these vehicles do very well for GM- so long as their not a reliability nightmare.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:24 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by keg1997
First off the MPG is better than a similar sized SUV- Yukon Denali is 13/19. This is 18 or 19 (don't remember which)/24. That is a significant difference in my book at today's gas prices.

The look is more SUV than minivan. There are many people (count my wife and I) as people who need the room of a minivan but are too vain to drive a minivan. How many SUV drivers really need the capabilities of the SUV? Very few...but they sold bc of the image. You could make the argument for many different kinds of cars...how many Porsche drivers really use the capabilities of their 911?

Plus, these vehicles are built upon a car platform so you get a better ride/handling/lighter than a similarly sized platform.

Different strokes for different folks but I'm betting that these vehicles do very well for GM- so long as their not a reliability nightmare.
Amen. It's funny, this is a car based SUV that will handle well and get good MPG. It rides on the same platform that will handle GM's upcoming miniavans. Similar to the Pilot/Oddesy-Sienna/Highlander. But when Toyota debuts yet another heavy duty, offroading SUV (FJ Crusier), everyone swoons over it.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:32 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts

+1 to all of that and to being vain.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:36 PM
Suzuka Master

This car on paper sounds like a great machine. The interior looks fantastic and I can tell you first hand that my experience with the new Escalade shows that GM is taking interior refinement seriously. This car and its siblings should sell well.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:44 PM
Everyday Joe

Originally Posted by dom

+1 to all of that and to being vain.
Did I say that I was vain?

My wife sure as hell is

Then again....who am I kidding...I am to a certain extent as well
Old 07-17-2006, 01:31 PM
Race Director

That's not quite a fair comparison - the Yukon has a V8 and this 19/24 milage is achieved with a much less powerful V6. Also, the Denali is probably another 1000lbs heavier than this. If you look at another SUV that is around the size of the Acadia you'll see similar milage. As far as hwy milage, this thing is almost as much a brick (aerodynamically speaking) as a Yukon - so it won't fare much better. The main milage gain will be in the city number due to the much heavier weight of the Yukon.

Nothing wrong with this vehicle, but if the main reason people are fleeing SUVs/minivans is milage or price, this is not the answer. If it's just politically incorrect to be seen in an SUV/minivan one is way too worried what other people think.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:56 PM
Suzuka Master

That's not quite a fair comparison - the Yukon has a V8 and this 19/24 milage is achieved with a much less powerful V6. Also, the Denali is probably another 1000lbs heavier than this. If you look at another SUV that is around the size of the Acadia you'll see similar milage. As far as hwy milage, this thing is almost as much a brick (aerodynamically speaking) as a Yukon - so it won't fare much better. The main milage gain will be in the city number due to the much heavier weight of the Yukon.

Nothing wrong with this vehicle, but if the main reason people are fleeing SUVs/minivans is milage or price, this is not the answer. If it's just politically incorrect to be seen in an SUV/minivan one is way too worried what other people think.
I disagree about the highway mileage. The new V6 is fuel efficient and coupled with the new 6 speed transmission and its "steep" overdrive; mid 20's should be easy to achieve. People are flocking away from BIG SUVs and are moving to crossovers like the Acadia. FYI....This car gets is rated exactly the same as the Chrysler Town and Country minivan, which is shy 25 hp.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
And I would much rather have this that a Minivan!
Old 07-18-2006, 07:29 AM
Everyday Joe

I would say that it is a pretty fair comparision if you are looking at interior room of the Yukon and the Acadia. The fact is that the Yukon needs the V8 to pull the weight..thus the lower mileage. Aren't the interior dimensions, at least in terms of cubic feet, very close in size to each other? If so, then why do we penalize the Acadia for doing the same thing as the Yukon with "less" (weight, smaller engine, etc.). I don't follow your logic at all if the two vehicles are in the same class in terms of interior space.

As far as describing the Acadia as a "brick" and saying that it will suffer from the same low highway mileage as the Yukon.....why would GM put out numbers such as 19/24 then? Apparently the Acadia is not the "brick" that you describe since it achieves a highway number that is nearly 25% higher than the Yukon. The differences in the city numbers are even larger, as you described, likely for the same reason that you mentioned.

Our interest in the model is quite simple- It is a large family vehicle yet does not scream minivan (not our cup of tea) while cutting off the biggest negatives of a true SUV (gas mileage). Our preference to stay away from a minivan or an SUV with atrocious gas mileage is just that...a preference. Nothing more...nothing less.

I personally believe that if the Acadia is as described, that GM might just have a hit on their hands b/c it does what SUVs do while avoiding that minivan image. Isn't that what their stockholders would want?
Old 07-18-2006, 07:57 AM
Safety Car

I personally believe that if the Acadia is as described, that GM might just have a hit on their hands b/c it does what SUVs do while avoiding that minivan image. Isn't that what their stockholders would want?
That's exactly what the stockholders want. Again, it comes down to product, and GM's finally coming to market with the right stuff. Honda, Toyota, and Nissan caught on to the idea a long time ago, introducing the Pilot, Highlander, and Murano. Ofcourse, you've also go the luxury MDX and RX too. GM's addressed all of these, with the Outlook, Acadia, and Enclave (luxury). The fact that they've come with such an attractive and complete package is the part I think is catching many by suprise with. Though Toyota, Nissan, and GM all have truck based mid-size SUVs (4Runner, Pathfinder, Trailblazer/Envoy), it's obvious that the market is trending away from this type of vehicle in a big way. As a 27 yr. old male, I'd never drive a minivan, but I'm eyeing the progress of the Enclave at every step; and I wouldn't mind driving the Outlook or the Acadia (I really, really like the Acadia's interior). From what I understand, Lambda will be used for a few traditional minivans also (for Chevy and Saturn, I think), so there will be something to satisfy everyone's taste.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:46 PM
Everyday Joe

^^^^
Do you really think they're going to position the Buick as the "luxury" brand? I'm 31 and I'd find it difficult to tell my buddies that we just bought a Buick since we usually make comments like, "driving grandad's Buick"... I suppose that I was assuming that the GMC version would be the luxury/sportier (The whole "professional grade thing) model and Buick would be softer, more grandfatherly model.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:45 PM
Safety Car

^^^^
Do you really think they're going to position the Buick as the "luxury" brand? I'm 31 and I'd find it difficult to tell my buddies that we just bought a Buick since we usually make comments like, "driving grandad's Buick"... I suppose that I was assuming that the GMC version would be the luxury/sportier (The whole "professional grade thing) model and Buick would be softer, more grandfatherly model.
I do think that out of the three, the Enclave will sit at the top. The Acadia will definitely be an aspirational vehicle, but the Enclave will be geared toward luxury. It's interior (alot of wood and metals) are supposed to be carried over largely intact. Though Buick has claimed for a while to be shooting to be an alternative to Lexus, it's done a poor job since. Sure it's supposed to be "soft", but also quiet, luxurious, refined and reliable, and have good power. The Lacrosse is a solid vehicle, but lackluster; it fit's the grandfather image to a "T", and does nothing for the brand. I think the Lucerne was a great attempt, but it's hampered by Buick's (and GM's) lack of balls (we're still offering the bench seat and the 3800!!!), and Caddy's position at the top of the heap. The Enclave is seams to be the first geniume attempt to offer serious product that befits the brand's intended purpose. From what I understand, it's supposed to be positioned squarely against the MDX and RX, leaving the SRX (Caddy) to battle the FX and the X5. That's just what I hear. We'll see what happens. Also, we'll see if Buick's future product looks as good as the Enclave.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:48 PM
Everyday Joe

Just checked the interior room for both:
Yukon- 109 cubic feet
Acadia- 117 cubic feet

This just confirms my previous beliefs....the Acadia appears to be a more efficient vehicle in many senses of the word.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:50 PM
Everyday Joe

Good explanation Titan....it'll be interesting to see how GM differentiates these vehicles.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:04 PM
Safety Car

Just checked the interior room for both:
Yukon- 109 cubic feet
Acadia- 117 cubic feet

This just confirms my previous beliefs....the Acadia appears to be a more efficient vehicle in many senses of the word.
Absolutely. Unless you need the Yukon for heavy duty hauling, or true offroading (yeah right), the Acadia makes the Yukon almost obselete. Though it won't happen, i wouldn't fault GM for killing the Yukon, Tahoe, and Escalade and just keep the Yukon XL, Suburban, and Escalade EXT.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:07 PM
Safety Car

Good explanation Titan....it'll be interesting to see how GM differentiates these vehicles.
Thanks. I think the differentiation between the Enclave and the other two are very good. It's obvious that the Outlook and Acadia are related, though they have unique interiors. The Enclave has a completely unique interior and exterior, which is good, consider it will be sharing floorspace with the Acadia. GM makes good platforms, but they spread them to thin, IMO. I don't think the Acadia should have existed; it should have gone to Chevy. Either way, GM's marketing for it's Lambdas should be on point to truly differentiate them.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:53 PM
Smitty's Moral Police

I thought Saturn was moving upscale too?
Old 07-18-2006, 04:13 PM
Safety Car

I thought Saturn was moving upscale too?
It is. It's taking Oldsmobile's former position, above Pontiac and below Buick. It's supposed to be a premium brand that competes with the likes ov VW.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
very nice and impressive, i'd rock one
Old 10-19-2006, 03:21 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2007 GMC Arcadia Pricing Announced - - Text & Photos edited by Clinton Deacon - - SOurce: http://www.worldcarfans.com/

GMC announced today that pricing for GMC's first crossover SUV, the all-new 2007 Acadia, will begin at $29,990 for a well-equipped front-wheel-drive model.

"The next generation of GMC is here with the all-new Acadia," said John Larson, GMC general manager. "The fuel-efficient crossover has a sleek design and spacious interior that offers all of the people and cargo-carrying capabilities that you would expect in a utility vehicle, along with the smooth ride and responsive handling that feels more like a luxury sedan."

Acadia, which goes on sale at the end of the year, is available in front- or all-wheel-drive models. The base FWD model pricing includes the destination freight charge, is well-equipped, with GM's all-new high-feature 3.6L V-6 engine with variable valve timing. It offers 275 horsepower (205 kW) and 251 lb.-ft. of torque (340 Nm) and EPA ratings of 18 mpg city / 26 mpg highway on FWD models. The engine is backed by a new, fuel-saving Hydra-Matic 6T75 six-speed automatic transmission.

The Acadia comfortably seats up to eight adults and has a standard 60/40 split-folding third-row seat. It offers more space than many of its competitors, with nearly 20 cubic feet of cargo space behind the third row.

Other standard features on the GMC Acadia include:

StabiliTrak stability control system with rollover mitigation technology

Six air bags - two frontal-impact air bags, two seat-mounted side-impact air bags; and head curtain side-impact air bags that help protect outboard passengers in all three rows

Four-wheel disc anti-lock brakes

OnStar Generation 7 hardware with one-year Directions and Connections service that features new voice-activated Turn-by-Turn Navigation

GM's exclusive Smart Slide feature on second-row seating, allowing quick and easy access to the third row

AM/FM stereo with CD and MP3 players and six-speaker audio system

Dual exhaust with chrome tips

Rear spoiler

18-inch wheels

Also standard on Acadia and new for 2007 is GM's five-year / 100,000-mile powertrain warranty, which is fully transferable and includes courtesy transportation and roadside assistance for the duration of the warranty. Customers can get a preview of the new Acadia at www.gmc.com.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:54 PM
Safety Car

That's a nice as SUV.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:28 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by titan
That's a nice as SUV.
Agreed, looking foward to the Buick Enclave as well.......the concept is real nice.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:51 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Beltfed
Agreed, looking foward to the Buick Enclave as well.......the concept is real nice.
Yeah. The Enclave remain's my favorite. The spy shots have been promising that it'll remain very close to the concept.

Quick Reply: GMC: Acadia News