GM May Make More Cuts, Shed Brands

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 08:17 AM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
GM May Make More Cuts, Shed Brands

General Motors Corp. may get rid of some brands, speed the introduction of small cars from other markets and make further white-collar job cuts as it tries to deal with a shrinking U.S. auto market.

A person familiar with the company's discussions said Monday all the options are being considered as GM tries to cope with the dramatic shift in consumer buying habits from trucks to cars and crossover vehicles.

The Wall Street Journal, citing the source, reported Monday that the job cuts are likely to be approved when GM's board of directors meets in early August.

The person asked not to be identified because no decisions have been made.

The Wall Street Journal reported that the board will probably also hear management's latest thoughts on whether GM should trim the number of brands it offers in the U.S.

A company spokesman declined to comment on either the job or brand cuts.

The company currently sells vehicles under eight different brands: Chevrolet, Cadillac, GMC, Saab, Saturn, Buick, Hummer and Pontiac. The paper reported that most of the brands struggle to bring in buyers despite offering new models that cost GM billions of dollars to develop. GM already has decided to study the sale of its Hummer brand.

Buick sales are down 21 percent so far this year, while Saab is down 29 percent and Saturn sales are down almost 19 percent. Saab, the Swedish automaker, sold 12,068 vehicles during the first half of 2008. Saturn sales have declined despite its model lineup has been completely revamped.

GM announced last month it would close four truck and sport utility vehicle plants and boost production of several existing car models.

But its sales are down 16.3 percent this year. Last week GM's stock price closed below $10 for the first time since September 1954.
http://www.nbcsandiego.com/automotiv...p=nationalnews
Old 07-08-2008, 09:06 AM
how handsome I am

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So long hummer, saab, gmc... hopefully they hold on to buick and offer two or three cars... invicta, enclave, and a gn+?
Old 07-08-2008, 09:10 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
I don't know when GM will start to listen. The current gas price is just the final nail on the coffin. For as long as I've been following car news, the criticism against GM's decreasing market share has been its over-reliance on fuel-inefficient vehicles (pickups/SUVs). And that's been said for at least the past 10 years!

Closing plant after plant is not the option they should go for.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:10 AM
old school

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
^^ +1. If that Invicta concept makes it to production relatively unchanged, that could very well be my next car. If they're still around.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:57 AM

the radio this morning said they will keep chevy and cadillac, the others will be sold. I am searching for a link to corroborate this.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:11 AM

GM recently put its Hummer division up for sale and could soon put another of its eight brands on the chopping block, saving billions in development costs for vehicles that have trouble moving off the lots, like those from Buick, Saturn and Saab.
In fact, the sale or shut down of any one of its brands, excluding core nameplates Chevrolet and Cadillac, is on the table, The Journal reported.
more story HERE
Old 07-08-2008, 10:16 AM
has Gloryhole Girls in

This is insane.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:33 AM

who would buy the brands?
Old 07-08-2008, 10:43 AM
how handsome I am

Fuck. I say keep buick and offer the Invicta and Enclave for now. Advertise the hell out of it, they're both sexy cars.

Pontiac is on a roll with their lineup, G8, G6, G5, Solstice. dump everything else, advertise the hell out of it, and make sure the redesigns set this group apart from any of the other branches. This is supposedly a less expensive Beemer - well switch over platforms to a premium RWD G5, G6 but not quite luxo to stay out of caddy territory.

Saturn is just turning the corner right now and needs a little more time and alot more advertising. I never see any commercials for saturns.

Chevy and Caddy are no brainers.

Everything else, peace out.

Last edited by agranado; 07-08-2008 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:02 AM
an asshole from florida

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
i hope it dwindles to buick,pontiac,chevy,caddy and saturn.

I really really like the new astra, honestly if i was looking for a new car to get me around for the next few years while im in school, that would be it
Old 07-08-2008, 11:06 AM

i don't understand why they spent all that money on developing the G8 and would just drop pontiac. they continue to make crappy decisions.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:01 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
Originally Posted by agranado
Fuck. I say keep buick and offer the Invicta and Enclave for now. Advertise the hell out of it, they're both sexy cars.

Pontiac is on a roll with their lineup, G8, G6, G5, Solstice. dump everything else, advertise the hell out of it, and make sure the redesigns set this group apart from any of the other branches. This is supposedly a less expensive Beemer - well switch over platforms to a premium RWD G5, G6 but not quite luxo to stay out of caddy territory.

Saturn is just turning the corner right now and needs a little more time and alot more advertising. I never see any commercials for saturns.

I agree. I think Saturn is a real winner.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:46 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need reality check. Pontiac is not on a roll with their lineup. Just because they have 361 Hp G8 doesn't mean anything to the big picture. Why do you think GM wants to drop them if Pontiac is on a roll with their lineup.

Why is Pontiac accumulating costing more than generating profit for the GM? its simple, Lets look at all Pontiac vehicles,

1) Vibe. lol. Need i say more? Will you buy it?

2) Grand Prix. Look at its competitors, Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, Toyota Avalon, Nissan Maxima, Acura Tsx, even Hyundai Sonata is much better choice. Would you buy Grand Prix over these cars, honestly?

People are most likely to buy it's competitor than Grand Prix, and they actually are.

3) Soltice. nice looking roadster. But you can't expect a roadster to generate huge net revenues and profit for the company . Lets look at its competitors, Honda S2000, Audi TT, MINI Cooper, Mazda Miata. Once again, most people are going to choose its competitor than Soltice.

Would you choose Soltice over S2000 or Miata?

4) G6. Nice entry sedan, But once again, lets look at its competitors, Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, Mazda 6, Nissan Altima, Ford Fusion, Subaru Legacy, VOLks Jetta, Hyundai Sonata. Would you buy G6 over these cars, Honestly?

5) G8. I admit, its very nice sport sedan. Its only Pontiac car that I think can compete with its Competitors. Its competitors are Acura TL, Nissan Maxima, Cadillac CTS, Hyundai Genesis, etc.

However, with today's ridiculous high gas prices, 6.0L 361 HP V-8 isn't a practical and smart choice.

If you look at their lineup, its pretty clear they need new direction and leadership.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:00 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by msl82
You need reality check. Pontiac is not on a roll with their lineup. Just because they have 361 Hp G8 doesn't mean anything to the big picture. Why do you think GM wants to drop them if Pontiac is on a roll with their lineup.

Why is Pontiac accumulating costing more than generating profit for the GM? its simple, Lets look at all Pontiac vehicles,

2) Grand Prix. Look at its competitors, Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, Toyota Avalon, Nissan Maxima, Acura Tsx, even Hyundai Sonata is much better choice. Would you buy Grand Prix over these cars, honestly?

People are most likely to buy it's competitor than Grand Prix, and they actually are.

3) Soltice. nice looking roadster. But you can't expect a roadster to generate huge net revenues and profit for the company . Lets look at its competitors, Honda S2000, Audi TT, MINI Cooper, Mazda Miata. Once again, most people are going to choose its competitor than Soltice.

4) G6. Nice entry sedan, But once again, lets look at its competitors, Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, Mazda 6, Nissan Altima, Ford Fusion, Subaru Legacy, VOLks Jetta, Hyundai Sonata. Would you buy G6 over these cars, Honestly?

5) G8. I admit, its very nice sport sedan. Its only Pontiac car that I think can compete with its Competitors. Its competitors are Acura TL, Nissan Maxima, Cadillac CTS, Hyundai Genesis, etc.

However, with today's ridiculous high gas prices, 6.0L 361 HP V-8 isn't a practical and smart choice.

If you look at their lineup, its pretty clear they need new direction and leadership.
Perhaps you need to look at their current line up. Considering the Gran Prix hasnt existed for a couple years, and G8 also has a more fuel miserly V6, which is what the majority of people buy anyway over the GT.

They do need new leadership, someone who will market them well, but it would be a mistake for GM to drop them.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:15 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

Sounds smart enough. Will GM do it though, that's the question.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:32 PM
how handsome I am

maybe you need to read a little more. I didnt even mention the vibe or the grand prix (which are both pieces of garbage.)

Pontiac is on the verge of creating a brand identity again with their series of G cars (5, 6, 8) and their solstice is a nice sporty roadster. Perhaps this generation of cars isnt doing a fabulous job of competing against recently redesigned Accords, Camrys, Altimas, but pontiac is slowly turning around the stigma that has surrounded the brand name for many years.

Im confident that they will turn direction and define themselves as a premium sport brand aiming for targets such as BMW but with a not-so-hefty price tag.

I myself am seriously considering a GXP solstice come 2011 when I'm done leasing my current car.

If they can avoid brand engineering their G5 and G6 models come the next redesigns, Pontiac may become a serious contender in the premium sport car market, IMHO.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:39 PM
The Third Ball

maybe you need to read a little more. I didnt even mention the vibe (which are both pieces of garbage.).
Slow down.

The Vibe is NOT a piece of garbage. Its a Toyota Matrix, which is a fun little car with a lot of practicality. Great for college kids or young pros who arent so hung up on their cars.

The problem is that already IS the Toyota Matrix. And people are going to buy that namesake over one with a Pontiac badge.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:09 PM
99 TL, 06 E350

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts
They should have only 2 brands. Like Toyota and Lexus.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:20 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts

I could list all the Hyundai vehicles here, and ask the same question.... would you take a Hyundai [model] over an Acura [model], BMW [model], etc. and I'm pretty sure you know where that would go.

Aside from the Genesis coupe and sedan I doubt there's much interest for Hyundai's current lineup... in fact, I think if you put in a similar Hyundai model in each brand category vs. the Pontiac equivalent, I doubt anyone would choose Hyundai's offering over Pontiac.

1. Vibe. Like its been said, the Vibe is basically a twin of the Toyota Matrix.... would I buy either one? No, because I don't need such a vehicle.

2. Grand Prix. Ah, there's something much better now. It is called the G8.

3. Solstice. The Solstice and the Sky are popping up now, as I've seen. Would I take one over an S2000? No... but you can say the same for the others. It does offer something unique though, it has the most power, with a turbocharged 4-cyl offering. I know the TT also has a 2.0T but it doesn't come close in terms of power output.

4. G6. This is one Pontiac offering that's pretty weak.... there's no way in hell I'd take one over a LGT or a Honda Accord.

5. Ah, the G8. You've got to be kidding me.... this car changes people. A friend of mine is a Toyota die-hard.... he had a sweet, built MR2 Turbo with an endless list of mods, until some lady crashed into him. Then he got a Cressida for a toy. Now he's in love with the G8, as its an incredible bargain. There's a lot of people on AZ who could care less for anything from Pontiac, but the G8 catches their attention.

Apparently the G8's 362 hp V8 is clearly a non-factor with today's gas prices, but the Genesis' 375 hp Tau V8 is great on gas.....
Old 07-08-2008, 05:58 PM
intelligentsia

Location: Land of cheap vodka, hot girls, and great nightlife
Lol how would the get rid of Saab automotive? I think someone else would buy it. As for GMC, Buick, and Pontiac. I don't get these brands they have all the same models with different badges. I say GM sells all their foreign owned car companies and keeps chevy, Cadillac, and possibly Buick. Oh and maybe if GM actually sold fuel-effeicent cars they wouldn't be in this problem. I love the new CTS but why does it have to have such a big engine and have terrible gas mileage.

Last edited by SRK85; 07-08-2008 at 06:01 PM.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

They are Assholes.

Oldsmobile starts doing better - they kill Oldsmobile.

Saturns starts doing better - they are talking about killing Saturn.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Tire
They should have only 2 brands. Like Toyota and Lexus.
Toyota has 3, if you count Scion.

Originally Posted by sho_nuff1997
i don't understand why they spent all that money on developing the G8 and would just drop pontiac. they continue to make crappy decisions.
Easily rebadgeable into a Chevy...though there could be some conflicts with the Impala. (The G8 itself is essentially a rebadged LHD version of the Holden.) As for the rest of Pontiac, the only other looker is the G6 GXP .
Old 07-08-2008, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by F23A4
Easily rebadgeable into a Chevy...though there could be some conflicts with the Impala. (The G8 itself is essentially a rebadged LHD version of the Holden.) As for the rest of Pontiac, the only other looker is the G6 GXP
True. I guess they just want to cut their losses and rebuild what they can.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:51 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by F23A4
Toyota has 3, if you count Scion.

Easily rebadgeable into a Chevy...though there could be some conflicts with the Impala. (The G8 itself is essentially a rebadged LHD version of the Holden.) As for the rest of Pontiac, the only other looker is the G6 GXP .
ugh..the G6 GXP looks like a bucked toothed hooker.

The Solstice GXP is SEXY.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:52 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Yackety, yak -- lot's more smack.

GM has been a never-ending Chinese fire drill for 20 years. It's almost a Shakespearean tragedy how they can't get their shit together. They should have reduced their portfolio of brands years ago. And whoever made the decision to make Hummer a stand alone brand with stand alone dealerships needs to sent directly to Iraq, do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I've thought for years that GM has too many brands.

I say, keep Chevy the commoners brand, Pontiac the sports division, and Caddy the luxury division. Everything else, buh-bye!

Those who want another GN, make it a Pontiac. End of story.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:12 PM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

Received 1,192 Likes on 485 Posts
No one seriously goes down to a Saturn dealership, test drives Vue, or Ion and says, "You know what, this car is for me."

Long time coming. Land O'Plastics Solstice/Sky's are pointless from the factory.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:02 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by o2cls
No one seriously goes down to a Saturn dealership, test drives Vue, or Ion and says, "You know what, this car is for me."

Long time coming. Land O'Plastics Solstice/Sky's are pointless from the factory.
I see TONS of new Vues on the road here, and I think they look great. I also see a lot of Outlooks which also look great. Auras are nice, Skys are fantastic, the new Astra is good.

Saturn doesnt have bad car in their line up...problem is they are in limbo, cause right now they are seemingly pegged between chevy and caddy...where their original intention, I think, was be more under chevy.

I happen to really like Saturn's line up right now. Perhaps if Saturns goes bye bye, they can take their current styles and rebadge them.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:28 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
They can drop Pontiac and just rebadge the good cars as Chevy.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:31 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by Belzebutt
They can drop Pontiac and just rebadge the good cars as Chevy.
I think dropping Pontiac would be a mistake.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:48 AM
an asshole from florida

honestly saturn, saab and hummer will most likely be their drops... it just sucks that saturn and buick both have an old person stigma attached to them.
I personally want to get a saturn astra and throw on opel badges on it..just waiting to see if they come out with a redline version
and yes i hope that if saturn gets dropped, they will rebadge them as chevys or pontiacs...maybe keep the cobalt as a cobalt and make the g5 an astra??
Old 07-09-2008, 08:41 AM
Racer

Talking

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco

I could list all the Hyundai vehicles here, and ask the same question.... would you take a Hyundai [model] over an Acura [model], BMW [model], etc. and I'm pretty sure you know where that would go.

Aside from the Genesis coupe and sedan I doubt there's much interest for Hyundai's current lineup... in fact, I think if you put in a similar Hyundai model in each brand category vs. the Pontiac equivalent, I doubt anyone would choose Hyundai's offering over Pontiac.

1. Vibe. Like its been said, the Vibe is basically a twin of the Toyota Matrix.... would I buy either one? No, because I don't need such a vehicle.

2. Grand Prix. Ah, there's something much better now. It is called the G8.

3. Solstice. The Solstice and the Sky are popping up now, as I've seen. Would I take one over an S2000? No... but you can say the same for the others. It does offer something unique though, it has the most power, with a turbocharged 4-cyl offering. I know the TT also has a 2.0T but it doesn't come close in terms of power output.

4. G6. This is one Pontiac offering that's pretty weak.... there's no way in hell I'd take one over a LGT or a Honda Accord.

5. Ah, the G8. You've got to be kidding me.... this car changes people. A friend of mine is a Toyota die-hard.... he had a sweet, built MR2 Turbo with an endless list of mods, until some lady crashed into him. Then he got a Cressida for a toy. Now he's in love with the G8, as its an incredible bargain. There's a lot of people on AZ who could care less for anything from Pontiac, but the G8 catches their attention.

Apparently the G8's 362 hp V8 is clearly a non-factor with today's gas prices, but the Genesis' 375 hp Tau V8 is great on gas.....

Its obvious to me that your pretty ignorant how car industry works. Since you wanted, lets do Pontiac VS Hyundai.

Maybe for you Hyundai cars are crap, but to mass middle income people (Which matters the most!!), Hyundai is coming out with more apealing vehicles that sells well, and Hyundai is making tons of net profit and revenue. Why don't you compare the stock prices of GM and Hyundai, which is very good indicator of company financial status. Ever hear about Hyundai Elantra, Sonata, Santa Fe and Tiburon? There is no Pontiac car that outsells Hyundai Sonata and Elantra right now.

And I am not even talking about international market. In South America, Russia, SouthEast Asia, China, small sized Hyundai cars are selling very well, and making huge profits. Do you think Pontiac can sell like this internationaly? no way. Hyundai's future strategy and decision making is clearly better.

And about your friend who was die-hard Toyota fan and now converted G8 worshiper, Good for him. However, come back to me when he actually buys the car. The company makes money from actually selling the car, not just from getting attention and no close-deals.

Hyundai Lineup.

1) Accent
2) Elantra
3) Sonata
3) Tiburon
4) Santa Fe
5) Genesis
6) Genesis Coupe

Pontiac Lineup:

1) Vibe <----- LOL
2) Grand Prix <------- LOL
3) Soltice
4) G5
5) G6
6) G8
7) Torrent <----- LOL

And the best of all, Isn't Pontiac the company that made AZTEC? I think it won the award of most ugliest car of the century? LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-09-2008, 08:46 AM

^ Do you have to spew your love for Hyundai in every thread?
Old 07-09-2008, 08:50 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by sho_nuff1997
^ Do you have to spew your love for Hyundai in every thread?
He is the first who started to compare them. Not me. I was just practicing my freedom of speech~
Old 07-09-2008, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
I see TONS of new Vues on the road here, and I think they look great. I also see a lot of Outlooks which also look great. Auras are nice, Skys are fantastic, the new Astra is good.

Saturn doesnt have bad car in their line up...problem is they are in limbo, cause right now they are seemingly pegged between chevy and caddy...where their original intention, I think, was be more under chevy.

I happen to really like Saturn's line up right now. Perhaps if Saturns goes bye bye, they can take their current styles and rebadge them.
Saturn sales are on the rise (9% in June), however it doesn't seem to be enough to make up where they are lacking.
Opel sales in Europe are doing great, just focus on that market and drop the Saturns here.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:43 AM
an asshole from florida

wow msl82 is one ignorant motherfucker...

why dont you actually look at their current line up...theres no more grandprix
and the vibe is a matrix, which is a pretty damn good car, and the torrent is pretty hawt too

get off hyundai's dick, yes they are a good car and are on the rise but you have nothing to prove to us
Old 07-09-2008, 11:53 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by invisiblewar
wow msl82 is one ignorant motherfucker...

why dont you actually look at their current line up...theres no more grandprix
and the vibe is a matrix, which is a pretty damn good car, and the torrent is pretty hawt too
Look whos being ignorant?

Go go Pontiac website, their dealership, and other car websites.

Go to www.pontiac.com
Old 07-09-2008, 12:20 PM
TMQ
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Too many brands are very confusing for the consumers. By offering Pontiac as a sporty brand, GM is essentially saying that non of the Chevy offerings are sporty, which is not the kind of message they want to send.

RWD format is for the premium car market. It's not worth having a RWD sedan and having it with cheap plastics.

Saturn cars are not that special - the Saturn brand is created to sell cars at a fixed price; this is no longer that important.

Buick has a lot of heritage and is doing well overseas, but in the U.S. the brand image is poor.

Some of the Buick offerings can easily be offered as upscale Chevys, which will help improve Chevy's brand.

I would say, keep Chevy and Caddy, and get rid of the rest. It's better to have 2 stars than 6 average brands.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:42 PM
Race Director

GM is hurting because they have always sold SUVs and now nobody wants them.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:20 PM
an asshole from florida

yea so i thought the grand prix was being replaced...
yo still said the vibe is a LOL...which it is far from it

Quick Reply: GM May Make More Cuts, Shed Brands