GM to add corporate badge to its 2005 vehicles **Vauxhall not affected (page 2)**

Old 04-12-2005, 03:32 PM
Kabachitare!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GM to add corporate badge to its 2005 vehicles **Vauxhall not affected (page 2)**

GM to add corporate badge to its vehicles

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Detroit - In a move to link General Motors and its vehicle brands more closely, the company today announced that its corporate emblem will begin appearing on all recently-introduced and all-new 2006-model vehicles produced and sold in North America starting this month. GM vehicle brands include Chevrolet, Pontiac, Buick, GMC, Cadillac, Saab, Hummer and Saturn.

"The GM badge is a promise of trust to our customers, reflecting our commitment to deliver the best value to them," said Mark LaNeve, GM North America vice president, Vehicle Sales, Service and Marketing. "Our own studies show that consumers place a tangible value on the General Motors name. They like knowing that the car or truck they're driving benefits from GM's global expertise in powertrain, design, engineering, and advanced electronics. Our recent announcement that StabiliTrak (ESC) and OnStar will gradually become standard features on all GM cars and trucks is a tangible illustration of what GM adds to the individual and unique character of our product brands. We believe the time is right to capitalize on those impressions, starting in North America."

LaNeve noted that the GM badge conveys an important message to consumers. "The name 'General Motors' speaks to people," he said. "It is a name people trust. We've been in business nearly 100 years and we're the global sales leader. Research tells us that many of our most outstanding segment-leading vehicles are not associated by the customer to be part of the GM portfolio. Seeing that GM badge on vehicles evokes our heritage of leadership and makes an easy connection between our great lineup of vehicle brands and the company behind them."

The move reflects the growing trend, uncovered in GM's own research as well as in surveys and studies conducted by private firms, that consumers seek closer identity with the brands behind their favorite products.

The GM badge will take the form of a small silver square, embossed with the GM logo, placed on both sides of the vehicle on an appropriate location between the front and rear wheels above the rocker and below the glass belt line.

General Motors (NYSE: GM), the world's largest vehicle manufacturer, designs, builds and markets cars and trucks worldwide, and has been the global automotive sales leader since 1931. More information on GM can be found at www.gm.com.

Picture:

http://autodeadline.com/detail?sourc...37125&mime=JPG
Old 04-12-2005, 03:39 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
The name matters, but so do the products, GM!!
Old 04-12-2005, 03:44 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Old 04-12-2005, 03:47 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
No, in all fairness, this is a good move. It promotes responsibility and credibility within GM. No more "it's Saturn's fault, no it's Chevy's fault" kind of mentality.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:07 PM
is Pretty Much a Moron

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
That'll make it easier to spot the cars that need to be crossed off your shopping list
Old 04-12-2005, 04:12 PM
Duck Fuke!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A Saab with a GM badge on it will be
Old 04-12-2005, 04:19 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Great fix GM! That should solve all their problems.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:22 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Isn't this kind of counterintuitive? Why have separate brands when you're now promoting the fact that they all come from the same company?

Maybe Lamborghini needs to start wearing a VW badge.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:30 PM
101 years of heartache...

what they need to do is incorporate all of those brands who compete against each other into a single brand called GM/Chevrolet! Have Saturn be the economy car brand, GMC the main SUV guys, Saab who Saab is, and Caddy the luxury fighter.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:50 PM
Racer

GM is so f*cking tacky...
Old 04-12-2005, 05:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by phile
The name matters, but so do the products, GM!!
Old 04-12-2005, 06:15 PM
Registered AssHat

For everyone that says all the brands need to be consolidated, no.

Each branch has their own design teams. They just do parts bin and platform sharing. However, they SHOULD have definite themes running through the brands. Let's say:

GM/Chevy/GMC = Trucks, SUVs, cars for the mainstream
Pontiac = Mainstream Performance
Saab = Entry Luxury Performance w/ Euro inspiration
Saturn = Economy
Cadillac = Uber Luxury w/ American performance inspiration
Buick/Oldmobile = Old people cruisers

From that aspect they can cover every segment with good brand definition. They're doing better at it, but still not enough. Pontiac still sells econoboxes, along with Chevy.
Old 04-12-2005, 06:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jts1207
A Saab with a GM badge on it will be
I doubt that Snaab owners will think more highly of their cars when they start carrying the GM badge.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:44 PM
Moderator Alumnus

This is a good move for now.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:52 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by gavriil

Have you been drinking The General's kool aide again?
Old 04-12-2005, 08:47 PM
Safety Car

I disagree. GM continues to follow "studies." I don't think that the GM emblem will bring comfort to the potential consumer. Truly, it's no secret of what brands GM owns. All this will do is further blur the the individual characters of the brands. It'll also be a constant reminder that some of the same interior pieces found in a Chevy may be found in a Caddy. GM continues to confuse with what it gives it's brands for their lineup as opposed to they're supposed brand identity. Soltice was a perfect fit for Pontiac, and all of the sudden we get Sky too. So now, with the Aura, I guess we're going upscale. Buick is supposed to be gearing up for Lexus, but has a minivan in the lineup. Pontiac gets the G6, which lacks the steering, character, and styling (hate the interior dash) to be considered in sporty company of the Mazda 6 and Alitma, let alone be considered the American BMW. GM needs to figure out that just because you have a damn minivan, doesn't mean you give it to every brand outside of Caddy because you're figuring you'll sell more. Honda and Toyota makes due with one branded minivan. GM could do it with Chevy and Saturn. Slapping the corporate logo will no help in my opionion. They need some serious product put in the proper place.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:14 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i disagree too.. there are a lot of people out there who dont know Saab is owned by GM so what if they put a GM badge on it? im pretty sure it would be a turn off to those customers
Old 04-13-2005, 12:20 AM
Can't wait to drive

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nothing totally new. They had their GM badging in their older cars...way back..and not as prominently displayed on the exterior (door jam?). Just that after a while they took it off just to shave a few cents off from the cost, i guess
Old 04-13-2005, 08:32 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Oh, okay...so GM will continue to produce crappy cars and their GM brand name will get such a huge boost in credibility...real bright...
Old 04-13-2005, 03:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
GM to put corporate badge on its vehicles
By Sharon Silke Carty, USA TODAY

DETROIT — George Fowler is ready to get out his heat gun and start making some adjustments.

GM will be placing these chrome badges on some of their 2006 models.

Fowler, who owns a Pontiac, Buick and GMC dealership in Dearborn, Mich., is sick of all the shiny metal badges attached to the cars he's selling. So he wasn't thrilled to hear Tuesday that General Motors (GM), which makes those three brands, plans to add two more chrome logos to the side of new cars.

The new badges are simple boxes advertising that the car is made by GM. The carmaker is attempting to make consumers aware of all the brands it manufactures and will put the badges on some new cars starting this month.

"It's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of in my life," Fowler says. "These cars have enough badging on them now. People want clean-looking vehicles. They don't want cars that are badged up."

GM says people want to know who makes their cars. GM sells eight brands in the USA: Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC, Pontiac, Saturn, Hummer and Saab.

"Research tells us that many of our most outstanding segment-leading vehicles are not associated by the customer to be part of the GM portfolio," Mark LaNeve, GM's North American vice president of sales, service and marketing, said in a statement.

GM has been struggling to figure out how to encourage buyers to purchase its vehicles without big rebates. The carmaker has heavily relied on large cash rebates since the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. The strategy has lost its effectiveness over the past year, and GM's sales are down 1.3% this year.

The company said its research shows a growing desire among consumers to know more about the companies behind their favorite products. Its recent "Only GM" commercials highlight its OnStar technology, which connects drivers to a live operator when air bags are deployed or when someone pushes a button inside the car.

The announcement runs counter to what GM has said its marketing plans are. The company has said it plans to do a better job differentiating its brand lines.

Eric Noble, president of consulting firm The CarLab, says consumers have a hard time juggling two brand names for one product.

The GM badges are "the sort of strategy that makes sense when viewed from the inside," Noble says. "Consumers operate in a world where time is their scarcest resource. You're lucky if they can remember one of your brands. To hope or plan for them to remember two is unrealistic and, therefore, a bad use of resources."

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...m-badges_x.htm
Old 04-13-2005, 04:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
This will add 10HP to the wheels
Old 04-13-2005, 06:51 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Will GMC Trucks get an additional GM badge?!?!?

Tacky Tacky Tacky
Old 04-13-2005, 07:07 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
File this one under 'desperate times call for desperate measures'...

The General is grasping at straws here - a brutal op/ed piece in the WSJ today. I also read another research piece that predicts GM debt to be lowered to junk status within 6 months, just confirming what I already suspected.

What a sad state of affairs in Motown these days.

On the bright side - Toyota is getting ready to open up a new R&D center just outside Ann Arbor which will draw more of their suppliers and thus more jobs to the area.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:23 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
I thought this was a good idea, but only if they don't do it for Saab and Cadillac.

They should really have got down to two brands years ago, one for luxury and one for regular cars.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:33 PM
Darth Chocolate

Just one more thing to shave off my Corvette or CTS-V.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:05 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by titan
I disagree. GM continues to follow "studies." I don't think that the GM emblem will bring comfort to the potential consumer.
THey are not doing this for the potential consumer, they are doing it for themselves. This is a move to cultivate teamwork across brands. It promotes the sense of "being part of one team" within the corporation.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:10 PM
Moderator Alumnus

It'll also be a constant reminder that some of the same interior pieces found in a Chevy may be found in a Caddy.
How?

1. Chevy and Caddy dont share interior pieces. ANd if they do they are very few and probably out of sight.

2. Even if they were sharing major visible components, how is the potential customer going to find out? No one who will visit a Chevy dealership will also be crosshopping for a Cadillac at the same time.

GM continues to confuse with what it gives it's brands for their lineup as opposed to they're supposed brand identity. Soltice was a perfect fit for Pontiac, and all of the sudden we get Sky too.
Are you saying that's a bad thing? If yes, why?

So now, with the Aura, I guess we're going upscale.
Same questions as above.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:13 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Infamous425
i disagree too.. there are a lot of people out there who dont know Saab is owned by GM so what if they put a GM badge on it? im pretty sure it would be a turn off to those customers
Why so?

If anything, I think it will be more of a turn on for the Chevy and Pontiac owners. If I am right and you are also right, then the net-net is positive because of the volume factor.

Cadillac and Saab (and hopefully eventually Buick) should be helping "drag" the rest of the brands, upwards. Image-wise. Not the other way around.

But again, the abvove is a secondary point because GM is not doing this for its customers. They are doing it for its employees first.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:16 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by deandorsey

"It's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of in my life," Fowler says. "These cars have enough badging on them now. People want clean-looking vehicles. They don't want cars that are badged up."

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...m-badges_x.htm

That's bullshit. A carefully descretely placed small sign like the one on the pic will not ruin the look of the car. It wont make it look...busier suddenly. Come on.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:20 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by cTLgo
This will add 10HP to the wheels

LOL!
Old 04-13-2005, 10:21 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Belzebutt
I thought this was a good idea, but only if they don't do it for Saab and Cadillac.
But then there is no point to it.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:40 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by PistonFan
On the bright side - Toyota is getting ready to open up a new R&D center just outside Ann Arbor which will draw more of their suppliers and thus more jobs to the area.

https://acurazine.com/forums/automotive-news-6/toyota-signs-land-deal-new-michigan-tech-center-303384/
Old 04-13-2005, 10:41 PM
Moderator Alumnus

GM hangs corporate badge on North American vehicles - - By Dale Jewett - - Source: Automotive News

DETROIT -- General Motors is putting its corporate logo on the exterior of nearly all the cars and trucks it sells in North America.

The change begins this week with Pontiac G6 cars leaving the factory, a GM spokeswoman said, and will be added to other vehicles when they are redesigned or when time permits tooling changes.

Under that time schedule, it could be some time before the GM badge appears on Saab vehicles. The next new Saab product, the 9-7x SUV, won't have the GM badge when it arrives in showrooms late this summer.

GM says the move is an effort to get consumers to draw a stronger connection between the automaker and its brands. "Seeing that GM badge on vehicles evokes our heritage of leadership," said Mark LaNeve, group vice president for vehicle sales, service and marketing for GNorth America.

The effort begins with Pontiac G6 cars that are leaving the factory this week, a GM spokeswoman said.

Many 2006 models will have a silver GM badge placed on both sides of the vehicle, somewhere between the front and rear wheels and below the beltline. On cars, the badge measures about 1-inch square. On trucks and SUVs, beginning with the redesigned full-sized SUVs to be introduced early next year, the badge measures about 1.2 inches square.

EV1 wore the GM badge

This is not the first time the GM badge has been used on a vehicle exterior. The EV1 electric vehicle wore a GM badge on its nose, even though leases were handled by Saturn dealers. The EV1 was leased from 1996 through 2001.

The GM logo was affixed to many of the automakers vehicles in the 1960s and '70s, although it wasn't always easy to see.

Many of the automaker's concept vehicles in those decades included a GM Styling badge that included the logo, the spokeswoman said.

Better known, though, was GM's "Mark of Excellence" advertising theme. As part of that, the familiar GM logo with blue background was placed on the back edge of the driver's door or on the door jamb.

Also during that time, the logo was put on the door sill plates above the rocker panels, along with division logos. But not every GM division did that, the spokeswoman said.

GM has not decided whether to put logo into vehicle interiors, the spokeswoman said. Nor had it decided if it will use the exterior badge strategy globally.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:07 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Sypher
Just one more thing to shave off my Corvette
Old 04-14-2005, 10:42 AM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
gavrill ur a little too in love with GM here. come on, even that dealership owner thinks its stupid.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:05 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bah, another large waste of $$ by GM.... or in other words another nail in coffin.

They need to make better products.. to do that they need to kill-off all the lame ass brands. Which is just about all of them besides Cadillac. Almost all of them have tainted names...

While some older folks are still "buy GM, buy GM" the younger generations aren't as stubborn/stupid. If GM doesn't start making quality products soon, they won't have any feet to stand on. I don't know many young folks who lust after GM cars... and if they do it's usually because the family is loyal GM and were raised to think highly of them. That is changing rather quickly... and the hitler appoach to cars is fading fast...
Old 04-14-2005, 03:34 PM
Instructor

How?

1. Chevy and Caddy dont share interior pieces. ANd if they do they are very few and probably out of sight.
Didn't we alrady go over how similar a Tahoe and Escalade interior were?

GM is a mess.
Old 04-14-2005, 04:30 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by SiGGy
Bah, another large waste of $$ by GM.... or in other words another nail in coffin.

They need to make better products.. to do that they need to kill-off all the lame ass brands. Which is just about all of them besides Cadillac. Almost all of them have tainted names...

While some older folks are still "buy GM, buy GM" the younger generations aren't as stubborn/stupid. If GM doesn't start making quality products soon, they won't have any feet to stand on. I don't know many young folks who lust after GM cars... and if they do it's usually because the family is loyal GM and were raised to think highly of them. That is changing rather quickly... and the hitler appoach to cars is fading fast...
There certainly are some GM cars that warrant some level of lust, but those are only the limited production models (Corvette, CTS-V, etc.) and there are GM brands that deserve to be kept alive (Holden, for one). The rest of the GM line-up needs a complete overhaul and GM needs to completely redo it's manufacturing process and force its suppliers to provide higher quality products.

We could sit here all day and debate/discuss how GM is going down the tubes, but in the end, no one here actually works in GM management and none of our griping will do anything to help GM raise its image so is it really worth it? I'm almost ready to just call GM dead and ignore it completely from this point forward.
Old 04-14-2005, 06:58 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by RWalker2
Didn't we alrady go over how similar a Tahoe and Escalade interior were?

GM is a mess.
Escalade interior is ...and yes it's a "glorified" Tahoe interior.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:41 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Infamous425
gavrill ur a little too in love with GM here. come on, even that dealership owner thinks its stupid.
I am not too in love with GM. I have been very critical of them even in this very thread. This move though is positive in my opinion. I have explained why.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GM to add corporate badge to its 2005 vehicles **Vauxhall not affected (page 2)**