Genesis: G90 News

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 12:24 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
In my experience, turbo lag is pretty much unnoticeable with "normal" driving or from dead stop.
But you will definitely notice the lag when you need power at the very last sec unexpectedly and the 9 out 10 times, I usually scream "hurry up" in my head, then comes "Oh My God"

No it is not the tranny. The tranny actually downshift almost immediately. It is the power that is slow.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 04-28-2017 at 12:27 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:38 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Originally Posted by oonowindoo
In my experience, turbo lag is pretty much unnoticeable with "normal" driving or from dead stop.
But you will definitely notice the lag when you need power at the very last sec unexpectedly and the 9 out 10 times, I usually scream "hurry up" in my head, then comes "Oh My God"

No it is not the tranny. The tranny actually downshift almost immediately. It is the power that is slow.
Haha yes. I know exactly what you mean man. Definitely turbo lag isn't an issue for normal non aggressive driving, but when you really need to go WOT, you can feel the lag.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
Haha yes. I know exactly what you mean man. Definitely turbo lag isn't an issue for normal non aggressive driving, but when you really need to go WOT, you can feel the lag.
Its almost non existent in my explorer. the 3.5 has zero issues getting those small turbos spinning, and being a 3.5 that small little bit where they arent fully on song the motor more than makes up for it. what i feel more is the boost management in 1st and 2nd more than anything. Either way talking about turbo lag is just a discussion on splitting hares now days. 99% of the people and time you will never notice it.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:09 AM

Received 5,293 Likes on 3,627 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Its almost non existent in my explorer. the 3.5 has zero issues getting those small turbos spinning, and being a 3.5 that small little bit where they arent fully on song the motor more than makes up for it. what i feel more is the boost management in 1st and 2nd more than anything. Either way talking about turbo lag is just a discussion on splitting hares now days. 99% of the people and time you will never notice it.
Lag is nearly non-existent/non-noticeable in the 2.7 as well. Toss it in Sport mode & hang on.

Now, the 944 Turbo S that I drove a few years ago, there was some real lag & inadvertent oversteer when the boost came on
Old 05-01-2017, 01:48 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

It probably depends on the user as when you go to a Ford forum there are quite a lot of people mentioning turbo lag. It's definitely much better than like 10-20 years ago for sure.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:09 PM
Team Owner

I guess it is all relative as we have different tolerance for "lag"

But I did figure out a way to Minimize the lag at speed higher than 40mph. Basically "Rev match" - step on the gas pedal twice when I need the power.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:29 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

lol that's what I just read on a F150 forum
Old 05-07-2017, 07:43 PM
YEH
Burning Brakes

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
are they still using heavy ass steel!?
or have they updated the chassis to more light weight materials?
Originally Posted by RDX10
Sadly they are still using that heavy ass steel. That is the number one problem with the current Genesis RWD platform. It's too damn heavy. From a luxury and comfort perspective it gets 2 thumbs up, from a handling perspective though, I didn't feel I could toss it around too much and when I did, it responded well. But more like a big luxo car than a small one. Maybe the upgrades to the sport model like the adaptive dampeners will have helped in that category.

They need to move to aluminum roofs and hoods and certain structural pieces. I just checked the curb weight and holy shit it weighs a staggering 4400 pounds in V6 AWD trim and probably around 4700 pounds in V8 AWD trim.....the BMW X5 with the V8 weighs somewhere in that neighbourhood. Damn.
I'd imagine if they did use more lightweight materials, they would announce it. As such, I think it's still pretty darn heavy with mostly steel in its construction. I don't know if that will change in the near future as my understanding is that being a steel exporter, Hyundai has to use steel as much as possible to save costs. After all, weight is something the average Joe wouldn't see or notice. They can just make a car looks pretty, make the power ratings respectable, and give it a tons of features with a decent looking interior, and that's what most people would care about.
Hyundai does use heavy ass steel, but they use copious amounts of high-tensile steel as they are part owner of a steel plant.

Hyundai did use aluminum in the 1G Genesis sedan (such as the hood), but did away w/ that to save costs (including repair costs).

Agree that the G80 needs to lose some weight and expect Hyundai to go back to using aluminum at certain areas (heck, if they can use aluminum at numerous points for the Ioniq to cut weight, they can sure do it for the G80 and other Genesis models) - but one has to keep in mind that the G80 is on the larger side of the mid-size spectrum (almost a large as a SWB flagship sedan), so even if they use more lightweight materials, the G80 is still going to be on the heavier side.

But not having done so for the current G80 isn't as crucial as one might think as MB is still using a heavier platform for the E and S Class (unlike the lightweight ones for BMW, Audi, Cadillac and Jag) and MB is far ahead of anyone in luxury sedan sales.

Originally Posted by MSZ
Nothing wrong with that side profile, the long hood, rear wheel drive proportion is near perfect.
The length of the hood and RWD proportions are well done, but the roofline is a bit off (and I Iike the 4-door coupe bodystyle).

5.0L V8 model does 0-60 in 4.6s, that is a respectable number but still it could be so much better. Hyundai does own a steel company and that is probably 100% why they are using so much of it, but they really need to upgrade that shit and maybe use higher tensile steel and therefore less is needed. I have to admit, if I had 56k to spend and it was between the genesis and the 5 series, I would struggle quite a bit.
Hyundai already uses a lot of high-tensile steel in the G80.

As for pricing, one has to keep in mind the level of kit.

A near loaded 530i w/ the 4-banger goes for over $70k.

I would put money on the 5 series running circles around the g80 and driving dynamics are VERY important to me. However on the flip side I am also willing to bet that the genesis is the more comfortable tourer.
We'll soon find out what the reviews say, but a few individuals have already tested out the G80 Sport and have been impressed - one being a previous 5 Series owner (w/ the M-Sport suspension upgrade).

Being larger and heavier, don't expect the G80 Sport to be as good as the smaller/lighter sedans in the class like the CTS, but as long as it's a credible offering for more sport-oriented drivers (as the non-Sport G80 is a luxo-cruiser), should fulfill the hole in the G80 lineup.

Last edited by YEH; 05-07-2017 at 07:50 PM.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:55 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Yea, I think there's certainly a market for it, even if it's on the heavier side, thanks to is lower pricing. It's compromise but the price difference is enough to justify that compromise IMO. It's probably less of an issue too since it's more of a luxury car.

To be fair, the F10 5 series isn't highly rated for driving dynamics at all. Car and Driver put it dead last in a comparo:
2014 Cadillac CTS 3.6 vs. Audi A6, BMW 535i, Mercedes E350 Comparison Test ? Review ? Car and Driver

The Lows: Clomping ride, ponderous handling, wooden steering. We don’t know  you at all anymore, 5-series!

Even the new G10 isn't ranked very highly finishing in 4th out of 5 cars:
Audi A6 vs. BMW 540i, Cadillac CTS V-Sport, Jaguar XF S, Mercedes-AMG E43 | Comparison Test | Car and Driver

Lows:
The steering and chassis are far too numb.

Verdict:
A great luxury sedan from the brand whose reputation was built on sports sedans.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:58 PM
YEH
Burning Brakes

Yea, I think there's certainly a market for it, even if it's on the heavier side, thanks to is lower pricing. It's compromise but the price difference is enough to justify that compromise IMO. It's probably less of an issue too since it's more of a luxury car.
Yeah, being the new kid on the block, the most important thing for the Genesis brand is to keep pricing in check, not just against the Germans, but the RWD Lexus and Infiniti models.

That's also the reason why Hyundai hasn't equipped the G80 and G90 with all the goodies that the KDM versions get.

As for BMW, it has been well documented among Bimmerphiles that they have gotten too big/heavy (albeit have cut some weight w/ the latest lightweight platform) and the steering feel has lost its touch.

Add to that the sheetmetal not being anywhere as good as during BMW's heyday.

But to be fair, BMW has dumbed down their offerings b/c that's where the majority of the market is in the luxury segment (more comfort, less focused on driving dynamics) and autos within each segment have gotten larger and thus, heavier (which is why the 2 Series is seen as the heir to the older 3 Series coupe and not the 4 Series).

For those wanting a more sporting drive - there is the M-performance versions (but going to pay major $$) or in lieu of that, getting the M-Sport suspension upgrade.

But still, not going to be quite the same thing.

The G80 doesn't float my boat - too big/heavy and not sporting enough (the Sport model supposedly is a pretty good improvement on that, but still carrying too much weight) and not exactly a fan of the sheetmetal.

Of more interest are the G70 and the Stinger GT.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:54 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

I agree, BMW had to dumb down their cars to satisfy the needs of most people. I totally understand why they are doing it. But it just sucks for those that want to have a fun to drive Bimmer but can't or don't want to pay for an expensive M model. Haha, for sure it's not the same thing. The shop that I go to, the owner has a E36 318i as a loaner car. It's as slow as a Corolla but its steering feel, its driving dynamics are really good.

Yea, I'm eager to hear the weight figures for the G70 and Stinger, as well as actual road test reviews.
Old 05-09-2017, 01:36 PM
Team Owner

I agree, BMW had to dumb down their cars to satisfy the needs of most people. I totally understand why they are doing it. But it just sucks for those that want to have a fun to drive Bimmer but can't or don't want to pay for an expensive M model. Haha, for sure it's not the same thing. The shop that I go to, the owner has a E36 318i as a loaner car. It's as slow as a Corolla but its steering feel, its driving dynamics are really good.

Yea, I'm eager to hear the weight figures for the G70 and Stinger, as well as actual road test reviews.

230i with sport package or M240i. Those are the "affordable" drivers car.
As much as I want BMW to go back what they were, it is not going to happen. Nowadays, people want this option and that package and when you add them all up, the car becomes a heavy pig compare to before and obviously US regulation plays a big role in it too. So it is what it is.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:43 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Yup, it is what it is. Sucks for people that want a sedan that is not super expensive...
Old 09-14-2017, 08:23 PM
Race Director

Received 3,262 Likes on 2,026 Posts
G70 promo vid. Along with the Stinger, Genesis is comin' for Acura's lunch. Be afraid, Acura. Be very afraid.

Old 09-14-2017, 10:10 PM
Race Director

Received 3,262 Likes on 2,026 Posts
C/D: get the twin-turboed V6 (duh)....

Looks pretty generic and derivative (think Infiniti) to me ....

2019 Genesis G70

Old 09-14-2017, 10:29 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
I'm not going to be a hypocrite on this. It's nice looking, but it's not the level of the Germans. It's in the Infiniti/Acura/Lexus (albeit better looking) zone.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by kurtatx
I'm not going to be a hypocrite on this. It's nice looking, but it's not the level of the Germans. It's in the Infiniti/Acura/Lexus (albeit better looking) zone.
The G70 looks lightyears better than anything in the Acura stable. Goodbye Acura.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by nanxun
G70 promo vid. Along with the Stinger, Genesis is comin' for Acura's lunch. Be afraid, Acura. Be very afraid.
Originally Posted by nanxun
C/D: get the twin-turboed V6 (duh)....
Originally Posted by kurtatx
The G70 looks lightyears better than anything in the Acura stable. Goodbye Acura.
Made a separate G70 thread: https://acurazine.com/forums/automot...0-news-962501/
Old 11-12-2018, 01:44 PM

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/11/ge...7th-unveiling/

Genesis teased the facelifted G90 last week and now the company has revealed an assortment of details about the upcoming model.

Set to be unveiled on November 27th, the updated sedan will have an all-new front fascia with a crest grille that is similar to the one used on the Essentia and GV80 concepts. The car will also come equipped with new G-Matrix lighting units which are “inspired by the beautiful diffuse reflection of diamonds in the light.”

Out back, there will be new taillights with graphics similar to the ones used on the headlights. Genesis lettering will also replace the traditional wing emblem used on the current model.

While most facelifts largely focus on exterior updates, Genesis says the cabin will have new air vents and revised switchgear. The company also suggested there will ergonomic changes and less buttons than before.

Drivers can also expect to find open-pore matte wood trim and a 12.3-inch infotainment system with a new interface as well as Android Auto and Apple CarPlay compatibility. Speaking of the infotainment system, it will feature a Sound Hound function which can provide information about the current song being playing. The system will also have a “Mobile SMS interworking” function which can display text messages, read them aloud and then send “basic text replies.”

Technologies that will make your life easier

Sticking with the technology theme, the G90 will now have over-the-air updates which will allow the navigation system to automatically download the latest maps. The model will also have an “Intelligent Vehicle Management Service” which monitors driving habits and will provide owner specific suggestions such as when to change the brake pads.

Another unique feature is the “external air inflow prevention control” system. It will apparently automatically close the windows when traveling through areas with polluted air.

In terms of comfort, the G90 has material and structural changes which promise to reduce noise, vibration and harshness. The car will also have an Adaptive Control Suspension and an Active Noise Control system. The latter cancels out offending noises by generating a counter sound.

As with most modern cars, the flagship sedan will come with a host of driver assistance technologies. These will include Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist, Rear Cross-Traffic Collision-Avoidance Assist, Lane Following Assist and Safe Exit Assist.

In South Korea, the G90 will be offered with three different engines including a 3.8-liter V6, a twin-turbo 3.3-liter V6 and a 5.0-liter V8. Hyundai didn’t mention performance specifications, but confirmed pricing will start at 70.60 million yuan ($61,948).
Old 11-12-2018, 06:07 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Looks like a Mustang/Accord
Old 11-12-2018, 06:41 PM
Team Owner

^ a combination of those 2 would actually look pretty good. Besides Mustang and Accord are Interchangeable anyway.
The following users liked this post:
kurtatx (11-12-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 09:33 AM

https://jalopnik.com/heres-the-facel...ppo-1830575413

Genesis has been getting a lot right lately, mostly with the manual-optioned Genesis G70 sedan we’re kind of obsessed about. But this year, the company will focus on its bigger car at the LA Auto Show, the facelifted Genesis G90—photos of which seem to have leaked early.

A tipster sent us two images of what appears to be the updated Genesis G90, at least when compared to the automaker’s own teaser for the car’s reveal at the end of the month.

The names of the files sent to us indicate they are screenshots of Instagram posts, which I couldn’t find myself, but if you reverse-Google the photos they trace back to a Korean “news bulletin” forum-like website that seemed to start sharing them around approximately five hours ago. The earliest post featuring the photos on Instagram that I could find only went up about three hours ago.

The first Genesis G90 went into production back in 2015 as a replacement to the old Hyundai Equus, alongside the extremely similar Kia K900. It looks like the facelifted G90 will get a bigger, stranger shaped grille, and wide, single-bar taillights that remind me a lot of what Lincoln is currently doing.

It looks fine? The big grille is pretty uninspiring and the drooping point is distracting, but does it matter? These questions will likely not be answered when the is completely revealed at the LA Auto Show around November 30.

Old 11-21-2018, 09:34 AM

Front looks like a Mazda 6/Volvo mashup
Rear has a Lincoln Continental look to it
Old 11-26-2018, 02:00 PM
Team Owner

that car looks nice... but looks so OLD... It looks more Lincoln than a Lincoln.
Old 11-26-2018, 03:17 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Yes, the back certainly does.
Old 11-26-2018, 03:18 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
I don’t mind it, though.
Old 11-26-2018, 03:54 PM
Team Owner

Well is that supposed to compete with 5 and E class? If so, it already lost in the looks department, unless it is trying to attract the lost customers from Lincoln.

I seriously think KIA and Genesis should switch designers
Old 11-27-2018, 04:44 AM
YEH
Burning Brakes

The new grille is a bit obnoxious, but the rest of it (some bits better than others) is an improvement over the current design which is too bland/safe.

Old 11-27-2018, 04:46 AM
YEH
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
Well is that supposed to compete with 5 and E class? If so, it already lost in the looks department, unless it is trying to attract the lost customers from Lincoln.

I seriously think KIA and Genesis should switch designers
The G80 competes w/ the 5/E.

The new K900 is a step back and looks worse than the facelifted G90.

Old 11-27-2018, 12:31 PM
Team Owner

^ so G90 is supposed to compete with S class and 7 series ? and it looks like that?
Old 11-27-2018, 05:52 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome. Tons of character. What the Legend should have become. I even see an Acura front grill in it! lol.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:29 AM

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/genesis-g90-preview

Genesis Unveils Styling and Feature Updates for Its Flagship Sedan

It’s hard to say if the Genesis G90 luxury sedan really needed a redesign after just three years on the market, but regardless, it’s getting one.

In early January, Genesis – Hyundai’s luxury division – unveiled the restyled and updated G90 at the Montreal International Auto Show, with an exterior that further reinforces the brand’s “athletic elegance” design objective and new features that further the brand’s positioning as a player in the luxury segment.

The redesigned 2020 Genesis G90 is expected to go on sale this summer. The information on the following slides comes from Genesis’ Canada division, which means some of these updates may not necessarily carry over to the 2020 G90 that will be for sale in the United States, though it’s a safe bet that the cars will be similar, if not identical.

The 2020 Genesis G90 will be available to buy in summer of 2019. Like the current model, we expect it to be produced at Hyundai Motors’ Ulsan Plant in Ulsan, South Korea.

Keep an eye on our Genesis brand page to read our 2020 Genesis G90 review as soon as it’s available.

Old 02-06-2019, 11:50 AM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Interior looks nice, particular the rear. But those wheels and that grille . . .

Old 02-06-2019, 12:46 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,454 Likes on 923 Posts
They put a baseball home plate on the front of the car.

Very ugly exterior.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:43 PM

Yup, overall not bad, but the grille is too big & just not a fan of these wheels.

Has a bit of Volvo in the front & some Lincoln from the side.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:28 PM
Team Owner

If this thing is anything above 60k/70k, it is DOA.

Old 02-06-2019, 03:52 PM

Current-gen starts at $69k, so....
Old 02-06-2019, 06:46 PM
Team Owner

i have not looked up the sales # but i can guess it's nothing to brag about.... unless comparing to RLX maybe?

and I dont see this new one being any cheaper.... so... yah...
Old 02-07-2019, 01:16 AM
YEH
Burning Brakes

Looks better in darker colors.

They overdid it w/ the depth of the grille (think the intention was to give the sense of big, luxury sedans from the past - which had huge, imposing grilles), but the overall shape is awkward.

Seem to be doing a better w/ the shape of the grille for the new G80.

Thankfully, in less than 2 years, there be should be an all-new G90 w/ a (hopefully) reshaped grille.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:32 AM
YEH
Burning Brakes

Thankfully, in less than 2 years, there be should be an all-new G90 w/ a (hopefully) reshaped grille.

Sold 133 last month - which actually isn't bad since only about a 3rd of Genesis dealerships became operational by Jan. (including FL) and many of the big volume states (CA, TX and PA) not yet available.

Once the roll-out is completed to include all the states - should be able to see volume where it once stood (around 300-350 month), but the real volume driver is the Korean market - where far more G90s are sold than the LS in Japan.

Quick Reply: Genesis: G90 News