Genesis: G90 News **Revealed (page 2)** - Page 3 - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Go Back  AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community > Automotive Discussion > Automotive News
Reload this Page >

Genesis: G90 News **Revealed (page 2)**

Notices
Automotive News
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Genesis: G90 News **Revealed (page 2)**

 
Old 12-30-2015, 09:32 AM
  #81  
Senior Moderator
 
fsttyms1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Appleton WI
Age: 43
Posts: 81,338
Thanked 3,003 Times in 2,083 Posts
"while Acura continues to sit back, relax, and reassure everyone that performance vehicles are stupid and true luxury is a waste of money."
Originally Posted by TacoBello View Post
Sounds about right...
One forgot to add that they think the use of hidden tailpipes make the car look green too.
fsttyms1 is offline  
Old 04-25-2016, 01:16 AM
  #82  
YEH
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 578
Thanked 48 Times in 37 Posts
Hyundai designs are old Benz with too much electronics. Acura interior are simple and classy.


Even padestrian Accord has more presence than Genesis.


Hilarious, considering from that angle, the Accord is a ringer for the 1G Genesis.

Old, boring design - that has been attributed more to the RLX than the G90.
YEH is offline  
Old 08-17-2016, 12:29 AM
  #84  
Registered Member
 
RDX10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4,666
Thanked 576 Times in 469 Posts
This "reviewer" is absolutely fucking annoying. Like stfu and talk about the car. Stop trying to be funny. You are not funny.

Now the car looks amazing to me. The front end is extremely aggressive and I can argue even nicer looking than an s-class though this is of course very subjective. Will people pay 80-100k for a fancy Hyundai...I really don't think people are ready for that kind of commitment yet. Toyota had to fight hard to push lexus, same with infiniti.
RDX10 is offline  
Old 08-17-2016, 01:02 AM
  #85  
Registered Member
 
TacoBello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: In an igloo
Posts: 30,496
Thanked 4,402 Times in 3,312 Posts
They have to start somewhere. I think they know exactly what they're doing and they know sales volumes will be low at first. Just like Lexus. Just like Infinity. Just like Acura.

It'd be nice to be able to open up shop and spearhead right to the front, but markets don't work like that. Kia has, however, made it a considerable way already in the car world. As long as they keep the reliability up and the looks generally attractive, they'll keep on moving forward.
TacoBello is offline  
Old 08-17-2016, 01:18 AM
  #86  
Registered Member
 
RDX10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4,666
Thanked 576 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello View Post
They have to start somewhere. I think they know exactly what they're doing and they know sales volumes will be low at first. Just like Lexus. Just like Infinity. Just like Acura.

It'd be nice to be able to open up shop and spearhead right to the front, but markets don't work like that. Kia has, however, made it a considerable way already in the car world. As long as they keep the reliability up and the looks generally attractive, they'll keep on moving forward.
No I totally agree. I have been a long time supporter of Kia and Hyundai. I think their current products step all over their mainstream competition and even some premium makes. I don't give a shit what anyone says. The new genesis shits all over the rlx any second of the day, I don't care who says otherwise.

My only gripe is that resale value is somewhat atrocious.
RDX10 is offline  
Old 08-17-2016, 01:23 AM
  #87  
Registered Member
 
TacoBello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: In an igloo
Posts: 30,496
Thanked 4,402 Times in 3,312 Posts
It is, but it is improving. Slowly.
TacoBello is offline  
Old 08-17-2016, 03:05 AM
  #88  
Registered Member
 
RDX10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4,666
Thanked 576 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello View Post
It is, but it is improving. Slowly.
Very slowly!

BTW, DEAD at your profile picture
RDX10 is offline  
Old 08-20-2016, 12:16 PM
  #89  
99 TL, 06 E350
 
Black Tire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Toronto
Age: 39
Posts: 5,030
Thanked 163 Times in 109 Posts
Black Tire is offline  
Old 08-21-2016, 08:31 PM
  #90  
YEH is offline  
Old 08-21-2016, 11:34 PM
  #91  
Registered Member
 
Nexx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 782
Thanked 207 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10 View Post
This "reviewer" is absolutely fucking annoying. Like stfu and talk about the car. Stop trying to be funny. You are not funny.

Now the car looks amazing to me. The front end is extremely aggressive and I can argue even nicer looking than an s-class though this is of course very subjective. Will people pay 80-100k for a fancy Hyundai...I really don't think people are ready for that kind of commitment yet. Toyota had to fight hard to push lexus, same with infiniti.
i think the front end is hideous. looks they mashed a infiniti headlights and an audi grill together and called it a day.
Nexx is offline  
Old 08-22-2016, 01:00 AM
  #92  
Registered Member
 
RDX10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4,666
Thanked 576 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Nexx View Post
i think the front end is hideous. looks they mashed a infiniti headlights and an audi grill together and called it a day.
Looks are subjective right. I think they knocked it out of the park personally.
RDX10 is offline  
Old 08-23-2016, 10:51 AM
  #93  
Registered Member
 
TacoBello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: In an igloo
Posts: 30,496
Thanked 4,402 Times in 3,312 Posts
Originally Posted by Nexx View Post
i think the front end is hideous. looks they mashed a infiniti headlights and an audi grill together and called it a day.
You're right. Acura's design language is *much* better

Man, you're a fanboi
TacoBello is offline  
Old 08-24-2016, 09:11 AM
  #94  
Senior Moderator
 
fsttyms1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Appleton WI
Age: 43
Posts: 81,338
Thanked 3,003 Times in 2,083 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello View Post
You're right. Acura's design language is *much* better

Man, you're a fanboi
Notice how no one is copying Acuras designs? Its because they patented it
fsttyms1 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to fsttyms1 For This Useful Post:
TacoBello (08-24-2016)
Old 08-24-2016, 03:55 PM
  #95  
Registered Member
 
RDX10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4,666
Thanked 576 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1 View Post
Notice how no one is copying Acuras designs? Its because they patented it
Lol I have a feeling that it has more to do with nobody wanting to implement early to mid 2000's generic asian design anymore. Even the Koreans are looking extremely european and pushing the envelope with V8, V6 and twin turbocharged V6 engines. Buzzy I4's and V6's don't quite cut it anymore.
RDX10 is offline  
Old 08-25-2016, 09:50 AM
  #96  
Senior Moderator
 
fsttyms1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Appleton WI
Age: 43
Posts: 81,338
Thanked 3,003 Times in 2,083 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10 View Post
Lol I have a feeling that it has more to do with nobody wanting to implement early to mid 2000's generic asian design anymore. Even the Koreans are looking extremely european and pushing the envelope with V8, V6 and twin turbocharged V6 engines. Buzzy I4's and V6's don't quite cut it anymore.
Put my post in red text, it will make more sense.
fsttyms1 is offline  
Old 08-26-2016, 05:15 AM
  #97  
Registered Member
 
RDX10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4,666
Thanked 576 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1 View Post
Put my post in red text, it will make more sense.
Haha all good buddy, I knew what you meant. What a complete snore fest Acura currently is.
RDX10 is offline  
Old 04-20-2017, 07:59 PM
  #98  
Registered Member
 
nanxun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: DMV
Posts: 6,374
Thanked 1,423 Times in 951 Posts
nanxun is offline  
Old 04-20-2017, 09:29 PM
  #99  
Registered Member
 
RDX10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4,666
Thanked 576 Times in 469 Posts
I was hoping someone would post this. Tell me this thing doesn't look absolutely incredible. I'm so in love right now lol. This thing looks incredible just wow.
RDX10 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to RDX10 For This Useful Post:
fsttyms1 (04-21-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 09:39 PM
  #100  
Registered Member
 
nanxun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: DMV
Posts: 6,374
Thanked 1,423 Times in 951 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10 View Post
I was hoping someone would post this. Tell me this thing doesn't look absolutely incredible. I'm so in love right now lol. This thing looks incredible just wow.
It does look pretty nice from those camera angles; however, profile shots look a little more milque-toast meh, imho..... still, i'm generally impressed and will be curious to hear more about power, handling dynamics, etc. in the near future.

nanxun is offline  
Old 04-20-2017, 09:58 PM
  #101  
Registered Member
 
RDX10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4,666
Thanked 576 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by nanxun View Post
It does look pretty nice from those camera angles; however, profile shots look a little more milque-toast meh, imho..... still, i'm generally impressed and will be curious to hear more about power, handling dynamics, etc. in the near future.

I actually do agree with you. I think the front end and rear end look REALLY good without resorting to being cheesy. But the side view is a little bit too plain. Though in person it looks really good even from the side view., but could use some more charachter. Though IMHO it obliterates the RLX and TLX both from a design and luxury/quality perspective (I have a lot of experience with the G80 when it was still a Hyundai), super impressive interior quality.
RDX10 is offline  
Old 04-21-2017, 10:23 AM
  #102  
Senior Moderator
 
fsttyms1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Appleton WI
Age: 43
Posts: 81,338
Thanked 3,003 Times in 2,083 Posts
That thing has beautiful lines, presence and design appeal. Aggressive yet refined look. Hyundai is doing a great job.
fsttyms1 is offline  
Old 04-21-2017, 10:26 AM
  #103  
Moderator
iTrader: (1)
 
justnspace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 79,585
Thanked 13,807 Times in 10,255 Posts
are they still using heavy ass steel!?
or have they updated the chassis to more light weight materials?
justnspace is online now  
Old 04-21-2017, 12:36 PM
  #104  
Registered Member
 
oonowindoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 15,194
Thanked 2,452 Times in 1,710 Posts
That is the current trend right now. more coupe like side profiles (roof line and hood).
oonowindoo is online now  
Old 04-21-2017, 12:53 PM
  #105  
Registered Member
 
RDX10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4,666
Thanked 576 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace View Post
are they still using heavy ass steel!?
or have they updated the chassis to more light weight materials?
Sadly they are still using that heavy ass steel. That is the number one problem with the current Genesis RWD platform. It's too damn heavy. From a luxury and comfort perspective it gets 2 thumbs up, from a handling perspective though, I didn't feel I could toss it around too much and when I did, it responded well. But more like a big luxo car than a small one. Maybe the upgrades to the sport model like the adaptive dampeners will have helped in that category.

They need to move to aluminum roofs and hoods and certain structural pieces. I just checked the curb weight and holy shit it weighs a staggering 4400 pounds in V6 AWD trim and probably around 4700 pounds in V8 AWD trim.....the BMW X5 with the V8 weighs somewhere in that neighbourhood. Damn.

Last edited by RDX10; 04-21-2017 at 12:56 PM.
RDX10 is offline  
Old 04-21-2017, 01:19 PM
  #106  
MSZ
Lola
 
MSZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Toronto
Age: 37
Posts: 3,776
Thanked 155 Times in 97 Posts
Nothing wrong with that side profile, the long hood, rear wheel drive proportion is near perfect.

By the way, shouldn't G70 and 80 have their own threads? I saw some G70 spy shots from other websites like three months ago, I think no one have posted them on AZ yet.
MSZ is offline  
Old 04-21-2017, 01:53 PM
  #107  
You'll Never Walk Alone
iTrader: (1)
 
iforyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Age: 32
Posts: 8,957
Thanked 544 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace View Post
are they still using heavy ass steel!?
or have they updated the chassis to more light weight materials?
Originally Posted by RDX10 View Post
Sadly they are still using that heavy ass steel. That is the number one problem with the current Genesis RWD platform. It's too damn heavy. From a luxury and comfort perspective it gets 2 thumbs up, from a handling perspective though, I didn't feel I could toss it around too much and when I did, it responded well. But more like a big luxo car than a small one. Maybe the upgrades to the sport model like the adaptive dampeners will have helped in that category.

They need to move to aluminum roofs and hoods and certain structural pieces. I just checked the curb weight and holy shit it weighs a staggering 4400 pounds in V6 AWD trim and probably around 4700 pounds in V8 AWD trim.....the BMW X5 with the V8 weighs somewhere in that neighbourhood. Damn.
I'd imagine if they did use more lightweight materials, they would announce it. As such, I think it's still pretty darn heavy with mostly steel in its construction. I don't know if that will change in the near future as my understanding is that being a steel exporter, Hyundai has to use steel as much as possible to save costs. After all, weight is something the average Joe wouldn't see or notice. They can just make a car looks pretty, make the power ratings respectable, and give it a tons of features with a decent looking interior, and that's what most people would care about.

With that said, I sat in a few G80s in the autoshow earlier this month. It didn't feel all that luxurious inside. My friend's F10 5 series has much nicer interior materials. I guess this is where you get what you pay for comes into play.

Now talking about price, the Twin-Turbo Sport G80 starts at $56k. I'm sure it comes loaded with features already. But I can't help to notice that the new G10 5 series 540i is also starting at that price.
iforyou is offline  
Old 04-21-2017, 02:27 PM
  #108  
Registered Member
 
RDX10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4,666
Thanked 576 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou View Post
I'd imagine if they did use more lightweight materials, they would announce it. As such, I think it's still pretty darn heavy with mostly steel in its construction. I don't know if that will change in the near future as my understanding is that being a steel exporter, Hyundai has to use steel as much as possible to save costs. After all, weight is something the average Joe wouldn't see or notice. They can just make a car looks pretty, make the power ratings respectable, and give it a tons of features with a decent looking interior, and that's what most people would care about.

With that said, I sat in a few G80s in the autoshow earlier this month. It didn't feel all that luxurious inside. My friend's F10 5 series has much nicer interior materials. I guess this is where you get what you pay for comes into play.

Now talking about price, the Twin-Turbo Sport G80 starts at $56k. I'm sure it comes loaded with features already. But I can't help to notice that the new G10 5 series 540i is also starting at that price.
5.0L V8 model does 0-60 in 4.6s, that is a respectable number but still it could be so much better. Hyundai does own a steel company and that is probably 100% why they are using so much of it, but they really need to upgrade that shit and maybe use higher tensile steel and therefore less is needed. I have to admit, if I had 56k to spend and it was between the genesis and the 5 series, I would struggle quite a bit.

I would put money on the 5 series running circles around the g80 and driving dynamics are VERY important to me. However on the flip side I am also willing to bet that the genesis is the more comfortable tourer.

In terms of interior quality, I have no experience with the latest 5 series but some experience with the latest (F50?) BMW X5 and I was not left impressed at all. Visually it was a nice interior but the soft touch materials felt rubbery and cheap and the overall feel just felt too much like my old 2005 X5 and like the 2008 X5 I owned for 2 days before returning (piece of shit). The genesis just made me feel like I was in a high end luxury car whereas when I drove that X5 and got back into my 2007 MDX elite, I didn't have that sort of pang of jealousy or anything like that. Despite going from a 10 year newer car with a shit ton less kms and WAY more tech/features I really didn't feel like I was wowed. From my understanding the X5 is comparable to the 5 series so maybe I can make that correlation. Maybe not.
RDX10 is offline  
Old 04-21-2017, 02:52 PM
  #109  
MSZ
Lola
 
MSZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Toronto
Age: 37
Posts: 3,776
Thanked 155 Times in 97 Posts
Well if you want to talk about interior design and quality in this segment, nothing beats the newest E class at the moment, I have sat inside the new 540i at the autoshow and I wasn't impressed.
MSZ is offline  
Old 04-21-2017, 03:30 PM
  #110  
Registered Member
 
RDX10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4,666
Thanked 576 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by MSZ View Post
Well if you want to talk about interior design and quality in this segment, nothing beats the newest E class at the moment, I have sat inside the new 540i at the autoshow and I wasn't impressed.
I rented the last gen merc E400 and although it was alright, I was SEVERELY disappointed in both the drivetrain and quality. However in terms of the latest E class I agree 100%, Mercedes by far has the highest quality interiors at the moment. I won't ever buy one though because that colomn mounted shifter absolutely ruins all mercs for me.
RDX10 is offline  
Old 04-24-2017, 01:39 PM
  #111  
You'll Never Walk Alone
iTrader: (1)
 
iforyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Age: 32
Posts: 8,957
Thanked 544 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10 View Post
5.0L V8 model does 0-60 in 4.6s, that is a respectable number but still it could be so much better. Hyundai does own a steel company and that is probably 100% why they are using so much of it, but they really need to upgrade that shit and maybe use higher tensile steel and therefore less is needed. I have to admit, if I had 56k to spend and it was between the genesis and the 5 series, I would struggle quite a bit.

I would put money on the 5 series running circles around the g80 and driving dynamics are VERY important to me. However on the flip side I am also willing to bet that the genesis is the more comfortable tourer.

In terms of interior quality, I have no experience with the latest 5 series but some experience with the latest (F50?) BMW X5 and I was not left impressed at all. Visually it was a nice interior but the soft touch materials felt rubbery and cheap and the overall feel just felt too much like my old 2005 X5 and like the 2008 X5 I owned for 2 days before returning (piece of shit). The genesis just made me feel like I was in a high end luxury car whereas when I drove that X5 and got back into my 2007 MDX elite, I didn't have that sort of pang of jealousy or anything like that. Despite going from a 10 year newer car with a shit ton less kms and WAY more tech/features I really didn't feel like I was wowed. From my understanding the X5 is comparable to the 5 series so maybe I can make that correlation. Maybe not.
They already tested the G80 V8? I've only seen G90 V8 RWD and V6TT AWD tests. They both did 0-60mph in 5.3s, with the V8 RWD taking a noticeably lead by the 1/4 mile, trapping at 105mph vs 100mph thanks to less drivetrain losses and weight.

The latest bimmers are quite comfortable too. In fact, BMW has taken away a lot of the driving fun the F10 and G10.

Considering that the X5 35i starts at the same price as the 540i, with both having the straight 6 TT engine, I'd think BMW had to cut costs somewhere for the X5. I mean, it's gonna cost more money to build a bigger car. May be that's why the X5 interior isn't as nice as a 5 series.

Originally Posted by MSZ View Post
Well if you want to talk about interior design and quality in this segment, nothing beats the newest E class at the moment, I have sat inside the new 540i at the autoshow and I wasn't impressed.
Originally Posted by RDX10 View Post
I rented the last gen merc E400 and although it was alright, I was SEVERELY disappointed in both the drivetrain and quality. However in terms of the latest E class I agree 100%, Mercedes by far has the highest quality interiors at the moment. I won't ever buy one though because that colomn mounted shifter absolutely ruins all mercs for me.
I should've sat in the new E Class at the autoshow....oh wait..I couldn't..I don't know why the Vancouver Autoshow did not have Mercedes and Volvo.....but from photos, the latest E Class interior is very, very nice.

The G10 540i interior is nice, but I agree, not that impressive in a sense that, I didn't feel like there's much of an upgrade compared to my friend's F10 528i interior.

The pre-facelift E Class was bad...hahaha
iforyou is offline  
Old 04-24-2017, 02:45 PM
  #112  
Registered Member
 
oonowindoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 15,194
Thanked 2,452 Times in 1,710 Posts
I don't think BMW is known for its fancy interiors. While all the latest technology and so more stuff have been put into it, but you could never tell just by sitting inside. Unlike Mercedes where they make their interior very nice to look at and flashy.

The latest example on the new 5. You could get the full digital gauge that can do all kind of fancy stuff, but somehow they still managed to make the standard mode looks like their traditional analog style. They even put 2 stupid half circle thing to make sure that it looks like the Non-Full digital ones Some people don't like it and other people love the understated style.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 04-24-2017 at 02:49 PM.
oonowindoo is online now  
Old 04-26-2017, 10:12 AM
  #113  
99 TL, 06 E350
 
Black Tire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Toronto
Age: 39
Posts: 5,030
Thanked 163 Times in 109 Posts
Hot damn! This is a nice looking car...almost BMW like.

Black Tire is offline  
Old 04-26-2017, 11:21 AM
  #114  
Registered Member
 
TacoBello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: In an igloo
Posts: 30,496
Thanked 4,402 Times in 3,312 Posts
I just don't like what's behind the grill.

Like, for the main grill, I wish it was completely see-through, as opposed to being half blocked out.

I know the upper square is for the electronic gizmos behind it, but it just takes away from the overall beauty of the front. Maybe it is less noticeable in real life. Though, I've seen Mercs with that too and I've always hated it.

Really, for the exterior, those are my only complaints though, and ones I could easily look past if I was buying a new car. Everything else- the wheels, the lights, the grill shape, the exhaust, etc are 10/10 in my books
TacoBello is offline  
Old 04-26-2017, 02:43 PM
  #115  
You'll Never Walk Alone
iTrader: (1)
 
iforyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Age: 32
Posts: 8,957
Thanked 544 Times in 371 Posts
Good point about being half blocked out.

Regarding the upper square, may be that's why some cars have big @$$ front emblems. For instance I believe Mazda uses its front emblem to mask the front radar.

Mercedes does something similar too it seems:
iforyou is offline  
Old 04-26-2017, 02:48 PM
  #116  
Registered Member
 
oonowindoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 15,194
Thanked 2,452 Times in 1,710 Posts
Just don't get that option... problem solved.

That "patch" is really annoying to look at.
oonowindoo is online now  
Old 04-26-2017, 03:12 PM
  #117  
Registered Member
 
RDX10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4,666
Thanked 576 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou View Post
They already tested the G80 V8? I've only seen G90 V8 RWD and V6TT AWD tests. They both did 0-60mph in 5.3s, with the V8 RWD taking a noticeably lead by the 1/4 mile, trapping at 105mph vs 100mph thanks to less drivetrain losses and weight.

The latest bimmers are quite comfortable too. In fact, BMW has taken away a lot of the driving fun the F10 and G10.

Considering that the X5 35i starts at the same price as the 540i, with both having the straight 6 TT engine, I'd think BMW had to cut costs somewhere for the X5. I mean, it's gonna cost more money to build a bigger car. May be that's why the X5 interior isn't as nice as a 5 series.





I should've sat in the new E Class at the autoshow....oh wait..I couldn't..I don't know why the Vancouver Autoshow did not have Mercedes and Volvo.....but from photos, the latest E Class interior is very, very nice.

The G10 540i interior is nice, but I agree, not that impressive in a sense that, I didn't feel like there's much of an upgrade compared to my friend's F10 528i interior.

The pre-facelift E Class was bad...hahaha
When the G80 was still a Hyundai genesis, it was offered with that same exact drivetrain setup. The only thing that changed was the badge for that model, same with the 3.8l model. Only the 3.3T is new and untested still. So if you look at a variety of 5.0V8 genesis tests, you'll see the G80 V8 has been tested already many times. Alex on autos (on youtube) also tested the G80 and stated a 4.6s 0-60 (that is where I am getting my information from). Also on a logical train of thought, if the much larger G90 can do the deed in 5.2, the G80 is for sure going to do it faster so that 4.6s makes sense.

What I am curious about is if the 3.3T will be even faster than the 5.0L V8. If it is laggy, it will be slower. But the best part about that 3.3T is the ability to tune it and I am certain it can reach 500Hp easily.

In terms of the X5 vs the 5 series, I agree. The X5 is larger so they definitely had to cut costs somewhere. Sadly I feel like this generation was the most revealing in terms of cheapening out on materials.

Originally Posted by TacoBello View Post
I just don't like what's behind the grill.

Like, for the main grill, I wish it was completely see-through, as opposed to being half blocked out.

I know the upper square is for the electronic gizmos behind it, but it just takes away from the overall beauty of the front. Maybe it is less noticeable in real life. Though, I've seen Mercs with that too and I've always hated it.

Really, for the exterior, those are my only complaints though, and ones I could easily look past if I was buying a new car. Everything else- the wheels, the lights, the grill shape, the exhaust, etc are 10/10 in my books
If you look at many standard audi models, they all have that bar that bisects the grille. Even the RS models with the whole mesh grille situation have a bar. The only difference here is that Audi does a much better of making it less glossy so it doesn't show nearly as much. I'd imagine Genesis would be smart to use a matte plastic rather than glossy like they did here. That little square is for radar stuff, but I think they could have put it in the smaller lower grille area and hidden it better. It detracts from the rest of the car I think.

Originally Posted by iforyou View Post
Good point about being half blocked out.

Regarding the upper square, may be that's why some cars have big @$$ front emblems. For instance I believe Mazda uses its front emblem to mask the front radar.

Mercedes does something similar too it seems:
This is the same reason Acura is going with a MASSIVE badge on their front grilles with the new grille. If you take a look at past 2010-2013 MDX elites (advance) with the beak grille, they have this piece of clear plastic in the middle of the beaks opening. Now with the "diamond bullshit" grille they had to hide it behind the massive logo. It would not work in Genesis' case because the badge is on the metal body panel rather than the grille.
RDX10 is offline  
Old 04-27-2017, 02:04 PM
  #118  
You'll Never Walk Alone
iTrader: (1)
 
iforyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Age: 32
Posts: 8,957
Thanked 544 Times in 371 Posts
Oh, you are right, I forgot the G80 used to be the Genesis, my bad.

I wonder how accurate the numbers are from Alex on Autos. Look at some of these numbers:
Performance Scores ? Alex On Autos

Some of themare quite a bit faster than Car and Driver and Motor Trend figures, including the G80/Genesis 5.0L, the RDX, the ILX, and MDX.

For instance, he's claiming the 2016 ILX can do 0-60mph in 6.2s and 1/4 mile in 14.8s, whereas Car and Driver only managed 6.6s and 15.2s respectively.

Likewise, the 2014-2017 MDX consistently do the 1/4 mile in 14.6 to 14.9s range, but AoA says it can do 14.3s.

Which brings me to the G80/Gensis 5.0, Car and driver managed 0-60mph in 5s flat, and 1/4 mile in [email protected], yet AoA is quoting 4.75s and [email protected]

The differences are significant. I'd imagine C/D figures are more reliable as their equipment and testing methods are most likely to be far more sophisticated.

For 5.0L vs 3.3T, the turbo lag on the 3.3T won't affect the 0-60mph and 1/4 mile figures. That's because in those tests, the test driver would use launch control or brake torquing. Both would allow turbo boost to be built up before launch, eliminating any turbo lag. The main difference you will see is the 5-60mph figure, this rolling start would take into account the turbo lag.

Perhaps Hyundai can supersize its logo and move it further down into the grille
iforyou is offline  
Old 04-27-2017, 02:31 PM
  #119  
Registered Member
 
TacoBello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: In an igloo
Posts: 30,496
Thanked 4,402 Times in 3,312 Posts
I like the genesis logo. Looks badass.

I dont think any modern turbo cars are laggy anymore. Turbo designs have been advanced a lot in recent years... Shit like twin scroll helps them move faster, quicker. They've had a lot of innovations that reduce lag.
TacoBello is offline  
Old 04-28-2017, 12:59 PM
  #120  
You'll Never Walk Alone
iTrader: (1)
 
iforyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Age: 32
Posts: 8,957
Thanked 544 Times in 371 Posts
To get a sense of the turbo lag, you can just look compare the 5-60mph against the 0-60mph figures.

Genesis G90 5.0 V8 RWD:
0-60mph: 5.3s
5-60mph: 5.7s
Weight: 4647lb

Genesis G90 3.3 V6T AWD:
0-60mph: 5.3s
5-60mph: 6.1s
Weight: 4824lb

Yup, turbo technologies have improved a lot for sure but from the numbers you can still see there's lag. The 0-60mph times are exactly the same. That tells us the power and torque is there, comparable to the V8 model. It's also worthy to note that turbo model is actually heavier because of AWD. In fact, one might think once the V6T is at full boost, it probably makes more torque than the V8.

The 5-60mph figures on the other hand show us there's turbo lag. 5-60mph is a test where the test driver will gently get to 5mph, then WOT from there. This means no brake torque, no launch control, no building up boost before hand. An NA engine would make as much as torque as possible at whatever rpm it's at. The turbo engine however will take a bit of time to build up the boost so that it can make max torque at whatever rpm it's at too.

You can find similar pattern with other cars too, for example, the E60 M5 6MT vs F10 M5 6MT. I think we can all agree that the F10 M5 is much faster than the E60 M5. But look at the following:

E60 M5 6MT:
0-60mph: 4.7s
5-60mph: 5.0s
1/4mile: [email protected]

F10 M5 6MT:
0-60mph: 4.0s
5-60mph: 4.9s
1/4mile: [email protected]

Just by looking at the 1/4 mile trap speeds - 114mph vs 120mph - there's a noticeable difference. When you look at the 5-60mph figures, there's only a 0.1s difference, despite the F10 being much faster for 0-60mph. This again is the result of turbo lag.
iforyou is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Genesis: G90 News **Revealed (page 2)**


Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.