Genesis: G70 News

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 10:11 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
The problem with Hyundai and its brands stealing design cues is that they've been accused of that in the past on many models. So it's a brand perception that's been following them. It's been floating around for at least a decade.

I suppose that is their design language then?
Old 09-22-2017, 10:14 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
i dont think that's true tho. I guess for the causual car buyer, but the enthusiast know that design cues are shared/stolen across manufactures.
for example; the Velar and the Explorer.
another example would be the Hofmeister Kink
Old 09-22-2017, 10:16 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Honda is copying plenty, these days.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:17 AM

oh yeah, the horrible "fast back coupe 4 door" trend
Old 09-22-2017, 10:25 AM

I suppose that's true that the average car buyer might not notice. Even then if they do, they might see it as a positive. I groaned whenever somebody said the Fusion looks like an Aston Martin.

I liked the fastback sedan look, literally everybody is doing it or did it. I loved the first gen MB CLS when I first saw it.

What I hate is the jellybean/beached whale/clown shoe look. Crosstour/Panamera (1G)/M Coupe
Old 09-22-2017, 10:30 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think the Clown Shoe M is such a beautiful car

Siiiiiiiiiiiick:

Awkward is right.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:32 AM

yeah, i loved the MB CLS when it first came out, it still looks pretty good today.
I remember a guy in high school had the M Z car. so sexy
Old 09-22-2017, 12:15 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
I think the difference is the first impression. For some of us, the first impression we've got for the G70 is that whoa that front looks like the Mazda 3/Q50/Audi. I didn't really get that feeling with the Kia Stinger though. I get that styling cues are being copied all the time, but rarely would I get such impression from other cars.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by Costco
The problem with Hyundai and its brands stealing design cues is that they've been accused of that in the past on many models. So it's a brand perception that's been following them. It's been floating around for at least a decade.

I suppose that is their design language then?
I think there are 2 problems going on here. The first is that 100% yes Kia and Hyundai (in the 2000-2010) era were stealing design cues and even almost exact copies of some cars (kinda like how chinese companies do that now) because they thought that people were stupid enough to confuse a Kia amante (oprius?) with a Mercedes c class/e class and the Kia Sorento (first gen) looked like a Merc ML carbon copy. So they literally did steal exact designs. The other issue is that they waited a long time to come out with a proper design language and all the good ones were stolen.

They are not the only company to steal design cues and so many companies are currently doing a polygonal grille from Audi to Ford but because of their history they get dinged every time they try and take a small cue. Just look at Jaguar, Volvo, and Lincoln (all have that oval-ish shaped girlle going on). Alternatively there are a lot of haters who just keep spewing the same bullshit over and over. You can talk as much shit as you want but I don't see any Honda with a twin turbo V6 or 5.0 V8 but yet Honda gets more respect when they really don't deserve it IMHO.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:40 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
I think G70 is the first car in a long time that i dont really like both exterior and interior from Kia/Hyundai...

Similar looks aside, i think the front looks way too busy and the interior looks cheap, especially the silver plastic piece around the cup holder area... like the stinger has a bad copy of the the C class interior, i think this one is a bad copy of Audi's interior...

Usually i like what Kia/Hyundai offers, but not this one.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:42 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not a fan of the derivative exterior design AT ALL. The interior is very nicely laid out, though.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:26 PM
Rooting for Acura

Received 1,740 Likes on 800 Posts

Infinitis look great, though in my mind they're the same or not much better reliability wise compared to the Germans.
I've owned both, and let me tell you. My BMW raided my bank account, while my Infiniti only ever needed oil and gas for 9 years. When I replaced my G37 Coupe for a Q60 my friend asked me to sell it to him because he knew it was a solid car. He's still driving it worry-free today.

Nevertheless, I don't want to hijack this thread with which is more reliable, German cars or Infiniti. I was just curious as to how you came to your conclusion.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:33 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by knight rider
I've owned both, and let me tell you. My BMW raided my bank account, while my Infiniti only ever needed oil and gas for 9 years. When I replaced my G37 Coupe for a Q60 my friend asked me to sell it to him because he knew it was a solid car. He's still driving it worry-free today.

Nevertheless, I don't want to hijack this thread with which is more reliable, German cars or Infiniti. I was just curious as to how you came to your conclusion.
It's pretty awesome you have had that much luck with Infiniti. What year was your bimmer?
Old 09-23-2017, 06:49 PM
Rooting for Acura

Received 1,740 Likes on 800 Posts
I wouldn't call it luck with the Infiniti. We had a 2007 BMW X3 M Sport. See post #30 of this thread.

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-tal...ed-new-906223/

In addition to my personal experience, I have or have had friends, neighbors, and colleagues that owned both brands over the years and the sentiment is basically the same.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:15 PM

It was nowhere near as bad as that, I can tell you

Perhaps it was due to poor maintenance but I've seen a lot of issues in Nissans, which perhaps is not completely fair. But underneath the badging there are many components that are shared or outright merely Nissan parts, just for a different market.

Going from a family member's experience, she had a G35 coupe and has a G37 coupe. Oil consumption and electrical gremlins were present on both, OC was severe on the G35 and electrical was worse on the G37.

Combined with other small issues, there was a problem on the G35 that was costly enough that she just sold the car as is rather than fix it.

Can't recall which sensors went bad on the G37, but they required replacement. Plus window motor or regulator or both.

Both a no start condition and dead battery without warning multiple times leaving her stranded.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:22 PM

I didn't even do research into them, but apparently the power steering system has issues for the Q50? I remember reading about it on auto blog or something.

BMW is probably the least reliable of the German Big 3. Their powertrains are solid, as long as you don't follow the "lifetime" fluid change intervals. But the rest of the car isn't exactly designed with longevity in mind, they choose the part that will perform the best for say, 50,000 miles rather than use an inferior performing one that will last 100k.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:35 PM

Another thing that skews my perception is my close friend works in an independent shop that focuses mainly on European and luxury vehicles but occasionally will service other brands too. He's worked in other shops as well.

Basically after all that he's seen, he will only really recommend Honda or Toyota or its sister brands for a daily driver. So I take his anecdotes with a grain of salt, but nonetheless I hear about dumb crap that automakers do all the time.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:16 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by RDX10
I think there are 2 problems going on here. The first is that 100% yes Kia and Hyundai (in the 2000-2010) era were stealing design cues and even almost exact copies of some cars (kinda like how chinese companies do that now) because they thought that people were stupid enough to confuse a Kia amante (oprius?) with a Mercedes c class/e class and the Kia Sorento (first gen) looked like a Merc ML carbon copy. So they literally did steal exact designs. The other issue is that they waited a long time to come out with a proper design language and all the good ones were stolen.

They are not the only company to steal design cues and so many companies are currently doing a polygonal grille from Audi to Ford but because of their history they get dinged every time they try and take a small cue. Just look at Jaguar, Volvo, and Lincoln (all have that oval-ish shaped girlle going on). Alternatively there are a lot of haters who just keep spewing the same bullshit over and over. You can talk as much shit as you want but I don't see any Honda with a twin turbo V6 or 5.0 V8 but yet Honda gets more respect when they really don't deserve it IMHO.
Not sure where you got that feeling from, but I don't think people here are giving much respect to the natural competitor of Genesis - Acura. And I think that's deserved since Acura sedans in the last 8 years or so have been lackluster.

I don't think the likes of Costco and oonowindoo are spewing BS when they say they don't really like the the exterior of the G70 or that it looks too much like a derivative. They also don't have much respect for Acura.

People give respect to Honda because while they were shxt a few years ago for a while, they are pretty much back to business since 2013 with many strong, segment leading products.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by iforyou
Not sure where you got that feeling from, but I don't think people here are giving much respect to the natural competitor of Genesis - Acura. And I think that's deserved since Acura sedans in the last 8 years or so have been lackluster.

I don't think the likes of Costco and oonowindoo are spewing BS when they say they don't really like the the exterior of the G70 or that it looks too much like a derivative. They also don't have much respect for Acura.

People give respect to Honda because while they were shxt a few years ago for a while, they are pretty much back to business since 2013 with many strong, segment leading products.
So first off I want to make it clear that I wasn't talking about anyone here on the forum, but instead the general public, at no point did I say or try to allude that costco and oonowindo were spewing BS.

My comment about respect is that there is still a bad stigma about Hyundai and Kia products whereas Honda does not have that stigma despite Kia and Hyundai making great cars since about 2007 and arguably making better or extremely competitive cars right now than their mainstream competitors. IMHO only the last couple of years has Honda stepped it up and most toyotas feel cheap and flimsy inside so they too get too much respect IMHO. They are the definition if coasting on reputation.

In terms if who is spewing BS, I was referring to how people (genrally) keep talking shit about Kia dn Hyundai products despite never ever even stepping foot in one or driving one. They keep referring to Hyundai and Kia of the past to try and rationalize their opinion on the present products. Moreover my comment mostly had to do with Kia and Hyundai getting dinged for stealing designs all the time when others also steal but nobody says anything.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:48 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Ahh gotcha. Thanks for clearing up. It just happened that your post came right after oowindoo's and costco's, hence my misunderstanding.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by iforyou
Ahh gotcha. Thanks for clearing up. It just happened that your post came right after oowindoo's and costco's, hence my misunderstanding.
Oh no it's all good man, perhaps I could have been more clear too. No big deal
The following users liked this post:
iforyou (09-26-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 03:55 PM
Team Owner

It was nowhere near as bad as that, I can tell you

Perhaps it was due to poor maintenance but I've seen a lot of issues in Nissans, which perhaps is not completely fair. But underneath the badging there are many components that are shared or outright merely Nissan parts, just for a different market.

Going from a family member's experience, she had a G35 coupe and has a G37 coupe. Oil consumption and electrical gremlins were present on both, OC was severe on the G35 and electrical was worse on the G37.

Combined with other small issues, there was a problem on the G35 that was costly enough that she just sold the car as is rather than fix it.

Can't recall which sensors went bad on the G37, but they required replacement. Plus window motor or regulator or both.

Both a no start condition and dead battery without warning multiple times leaving her stranded.
I had 3 G35/G37C, while they were all pretty reliable and nothing major ever broke with any one of them, but there were some small issues like battery died at 10k, tons of rattles and etc...

The 4 series has been the most reliable car i have had so far... Other than regular Maint. there has not been 1 issue, big or small in t he past 28k miles.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:49 PM

Heh, I didn't see RDX's post as inflammatory or anything. Or maybe I'm just oblivious.

I want to drive this G70 once available. I still have a soft spot for Honda, and generally recommend their cars to people. Acura is a different story.

As far as my cousin's Gs go, I think she just has bad luck. Like I mentioned too, I think I have a skewed perspective. I saw the G37 at my friend's house a lot, getting troubleshooted or worked on for something other than preventative maintenance.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Heh, I didn't see RDX's post as inflammatory or anything. Or maybe I'm just oblivious.

I want to drive this G70 once available. I still have a soft spot for Honda, and generally recommend their cars to people. Acura is a different story.

As far as my cousin's Gs go, I think she just has bad luck. Like I mentioned too, I think I have a skewed perspective. I saw the G37 at my friend's house a lot, getting troubleshooted or worked on for something other than preventative maintenance.
Nope no inflammatory intentions here so you read it right lol.
Old 09-26-2017, 05:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
It is a good looking car. It looks premium. Like mentioned it does have a derivative look with a mash up of the Q50 and A4. I just wish Acura made more of an effort to designing its cars. The Germans are peerless when it comes to combining looks with power train from generation to generation. The Japanese seem to widely lurch from design language to design language. Acura has improved on the horrendous design from 2009-2015 in both TL(X) and RLX. Infiniti and Lexus seem to be going in the wrong direction. I've had my TL since 2005 (bought brand new). I really love the reliability and I want to stay with Acura or Japanese. However, I just cannot see myself buying a Japanese right now. The Germans are too far ahead of the game.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:33 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Saw one of these on the road. They look really nice. That being said, I think the logo needs updating. It looks a little strange.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:51 PM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think the Clown Shoe M is such a beautiful car

Siiiiiiiiiiiick:

Awkward is right.
I guess I'm a hater. I think that car is fucking fugly as fuck. goddam...
Old 01-21-2018, 08:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by imj0257
I guess I'm a hater. I think that car is fucking fugly as fuck. goddam...
Agreed. Yuck!!
Old 01-22-2018, 05:09 PM
Team Owner

I used to hate the looks.... but for some reason now i love it... there is something about it that is very attractive....

Maybe because with how the cars are nowadays, the you will never see or drive cars like M coupe and M roaster again.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:00 PM
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It actually doesn't look too bad. The front looks pretty aggressive. I like it.
Old 03-28-2018, 04:04 PM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
The Genesis G70, an upscale Kia Stinger clone, made its world debut at the New York auto show on Wednesday. Like its stablemate, it’ll get either a 2.0-liter, 252-hp four or a twin-turbocharged 3.3-liter V6 with 365 hp. It’s coming this summer, and, unlike the Stinger, the 2-liter will be offered with a six-speed manual transmission. Hyundai’s luxury arm now has three products in large (G90), medium (G80 and G80 Sport) and small size.

Genesis says the G70 “represents the future direction of the Genesis brand’s ‘Athletic Elegance’ design signature.”

We can see a lot of the Kia in the body shape, but the G70 improves upon it with the new Genesis grille, a better-looking side vent and cooler taillights. The Stinger has better wheels, but the G70 looks a little less fastback-y, and -- just confirmed -- it has a real trunk.

Upgraded 2019 Genesis G70s get quilted Napa leather inside.
We expected interior materials to be a little more upscale, and Genesis delivered. The G70 gets brushed-aluminum surfaces, quilted napa leather seats, stainless-steel grilles and more soft-touch surfaces as well as a 15-speaker hi-fi Lexicon stereo system.

Base G70s will come in rear-wheel-drive form, though all-wheel drive will be optional. As for twist, expect 260 lb-ft in the four and 376 lb-ft in the six. That six, by the way, is good for a 4.5-second sprint to 60 mph in the Stinger.

All G70s ride on a MacPherson strut multilink front and multilink rear with “performance-oriented geometry.” There's an aluminum hood and mechanical limited-slip differential, variable ratio steering gear and, on the 3.3-liter models, an electronically controlled suspension that adjusts with the drive modes. Those modes also adjust throttle response, steering weight, all-wheel-drive bias, etc.

The 2019 Genesis G70 goes on sale this summer.
Brembo brakes are optional, with four-piston front calipers and two-piston rears, as are Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tires and 19-inch wheels.

Safety features include forward collision avoidance assist with pedestrian detection, blind-spot collision warning, lane-keeping assist, and driver-attention warning. Those come with the Genesis Active Safety Control suite.

The Genesis G70 will be available in eight exterior colors: Victoria black, Casablanca white, Himalayan grey, Santiago silver, Adriatic blue, Mallorca blue, Havana red, and Siberian ice. It goes on sale this summer.

Read more: Here's the 2019 Genesis G70 sports sedan, ready to do battle with the BMW 3-Series
Old 03-28-2018, 04:05 PM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
For those that want a Stinger with a 6 MT......
Old 03-28-2018, 04:20 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,831 Likes on 3,852 Posts
Waiting to hear how much. Also, I'm dumbfounded that they don't have a LCD gauge cluster in these things. That seems pretty par for the course for all luxury (and some not luxury) cars now.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:20 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
I sat in both and this G70 gave me a much better impression than the Stinger; It has a cleaner design that will age better. In pics, I first found it generic but in person, it has a personality of its own. The next 3-series (G20) is better be damn good.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:39 AM

Received 5,293 Likes on 3,627 Posts
Will have to see it in person, but so far G70 >>>> Stinger
Patiently waiting to see the trim & pricing list.

If the numbers are right, and the back seat is better than a couple of the reviews indicate, a 2.0T 6MT may work for me
Old 03-29-2018, 10:36 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

I saw it in person and even sat in one at the auto show. I think I get what the car mags are saying now. Its strongest suit is its value and warranty, based on the assumption that it will be noticeably cheaper than the German brands.

From my impression, the interior looks much better in pictures than in person. The rear end styling is more bland than I thought.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:45 AM

Called a couple dealers Thursday after work. One gave a rather blunt "we don't know anything" the 2nd gave me an estimated August timeframe for them to be on dealer lots.

It's also up on the Genesis site: https://www.genesis.com/us/en/sedan/g70.html
But looks to be just a 'request more info' placeholder for now. No specs, no pricing.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:46 AM

https://www.motoring.com.au/genesis-...coming-111955/

Genesis has ruled out offering future N versions of any of its models as it slowly establishes itself as a luxury brand in its own right.

Originally, it was thought the Hyundai N sub-brand, headed by ex-BMW M boss Albert Biermann, might help the premium car-maker branch out and go head-to-head with fellow premium sub-brands like BMW M and Mercedes-AMG but, according to Genesis vice-president Manifred Fitzgerald, that’s not going to happen.

“I’m not a big fan of anything like that for our premium luxury brand because we have enough on our hands right now establishing ourselves as a brand, let alone trying to introduce another sub-brand,” he told motoring.com.au at last week’s New York motor show.

Instead, Fitzgerald says Genesis will focus on getting the basics right before thinking about branching out into other areas.

That said, the stressed the premium Korean car-maker would still offer buyers the engines with the highest performance in the Hyundai Group and that enthusiasts wouldn’t go neglected.

During the discussion with assembled Australian journalists Fitzgerald said he wanted the forthcoming 2018 Genesis G70 to be offered with a six-speed manual gearbox.

“Yes, I know there are talks right now, so I’ll do my best. I think it’s going to be cool. I drove it and it’s a lot of fun,” said the Genesis boss.

Until now, it was thought the manual transmission had been ruled out for the Australian market due to a lack of availability in right-hand drive.

In the US, the manual has already been confirmed for the 190kW/353Nm 2.0-litre rear-wheel drive G70.

It’s not known whether a manual option will be offered in Australia, where the Genesis brand will be launched by mid-year, with both the 2.0-litre engine and the far more powerful 272kW/520Nm 3.3-litre twin-turbo V6.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:44 AM

Canadian Pricing announced

https://www.wheels.ca/news/genesis-2...tart-at-42000/

Starting from an all-inclusive price of $42,000, the 2019 Genesis G70 will be offered in six variations including exciting Sport models, one with a manual gearbox.

Genesis Motors Canada has announced pricing for the all-new 2019 Genesis G70 compact luxury sport sedan will start from $42,000.

Like all Genesis vehicles, the G70 is sold for a set price that includes all delivery and destination fees as well as an unparalleled suite of ownership benefits including Genesis at Home concierge service, complimentary scheduled maintenance, Genesis Connected Services, map updates, and more, all for five years or 100,000 km.

It will be offered with a choice of two different powertrains starting with a 2.0-litre turbocharged inline four-cylinder with 252 hp and 260 lb/ft of torque. The other engine is a 3.3-litre twin-turbocharged V6 with 365 hp and 376 lb/ft of torque.

The all-new G70 will be available in six variations in the Canadian market, ranging from the well-equipped 2.0T Advanced to the range-topping 3.3T Sport that encompasses all the model’s available luxury and high-performance features.

Power is routed through a standard rear-biased all-wheel drive system and an eight-speed automatic transmission, with the exception of the optional 2.0T Sport package that instead features a 6-speed manual gearbox and rear-wheel drive.

For easy access to maximum acceleration off the line, all G70 models feature a launch control system.

The $42,000 Genesis G70 2.0T Advanced offers a wide range of standard equipment including a full-time active all-wheel drive system, an eight-speed automatic transmission, customizable drive modes, and advanced driver assistance systems including Forward Collision Avoidance-Assist, Blind-Spot Collision Warning, Lane Keep Assist, and Adaptive Cruise Control.

With the launch of the all-new G70, Genesis will offer for the first time in Canada Genesis Connected Services (GCS), a telematics platform allowing impressive remote vehicle connectivity.

Included as standard equipment in all G70 models and backed by five years of complimentary services, GCS allows drivers to connect to their vehicle through a smartphone app or online portal.

In doing so, they can remote start their vehicle (automatic models only), pre-set climate control functions, locate their vehicle in a parking lot using GPS maps, and even receive vehicle diagnostic reports.

Roadside assistance services can be summoned at the touch of a button and, in the event of a collision, emergency services are automatically called to the vehicle’s location if the driver requires assistance or is unresponsive.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:22 AM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,831 Likes on 3,852 Posts
^ That's in Monopoly money (Canadian dollars) though right?

Quick Reply: Genesis: G70 News