General Motors: Terrain news

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 08:09 AM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
General Motors: Terrain news

GMC EXPANDS ITS ENGINEERING EXPERTISE WITH THE EFFICIENT AND CAPABLE 2010 TERRAIN

- All-new, five-passenger crossover SUV delivers expected segment-best highway fuel economy of 30 mpg

- Comprehensive package of premium features, with an emphasis on vehicle safety and passenger comfort

- GMC’s engineering excellence and innovation advances with direct injection technology, programmable power liftgate and standard rear vision camera

NEW YORK –GMC’s all-new 2010 Terrain makes its world debut at the 2009 New York International Auto Show. The Terrain is a five-passenger crossover SUV that blends bold styling with fuel efficiency and premium features.

“The new Terrain brings GMC’s history of innovation and engineering excellence into a smaller, fuel-efficient package for today’s buyer,” said Susan Docherty, Buick-Pontiac-GMC vice president. “The capability attributes that make a vehicle a GMC are ingrained in Terrain, making it an appealing choice for existing traditional SUV customers who are looking for distinctive styling and increased efficiency.”

A new, 2.4L four-cylinder engine that features direct injection is expected to deliver best-in-segment highway fuel economy of 30 mpg. Maximum fuel economy is achieved in part with an “ECO” mode that is activated via a console-mounted button. When engaged, it lowers the torque converter lockup speed to 1,125 rpm to help save fuel on models equipped with the 2.4L engine.

Also available will be a 3.0L DOHC direct injected V-6 engine delivering an estimated 264 horsepower (197 kW). Both engines are mated to efficiency-enhancing six-speed automatic transmissions and offer a refined, confident driving experience.

“GMC is a strong, core brand for GM and the Terrain crossover SUV is the latest example of how we’re adapting to changing market conditions,” said Docherty. “As we first demonstrated with the Acadia crossover, GMC is committed to offering the capable vehicles customers seek, with the personal technologies they expect.”

The 2010 Terrain goes on sale in late summer, with front-wheel-drive and all-wheel-drive models offered in SLE and SLT trim levels. A comprehensive list of standard and available features includes purposeful technologies such as:

- Standard rear vision camera

- Programmable power rear liftgate

- Bluetooth hands-free phone capability

- MultiFlex sliding rear seat that increases passenger comfort or provides optimal cargo space

- Remote vehicle start

- USB audio connectivity; MP3 playback

- Seven-inch touch-screen navigation system and a 40-gigabyte hard drive

- DVD-based rear-seat entertainment system with two independent screens

- Standard OnStar and XM Satellite Radio

Segment-best safety is anticipated, with features that include four-wheel disc brakes with StabiliTrak electronic stability control and traction control, as well as six standard air bags: dual frontal air bags; head curtain side air bags and pelvic/thorax seat-mounted side air bags. OnStar with one-year Safe and Sound service is also standard.

Bold styling

Terrain has a balanced, athletic stance and offers a commanding view of the road. Its design is characterized by bold, muscular fender flares, representing GMC’s aesthetic. Surfacing is angular yet refined, with a strong and capable front-end appearance that features precise, squared-off edges.

“We wanted to carve the GMC Terrain away from the pack and establish its identity as a powerful, fresh crossover SUV with a confident and strong stance,” said John Cafaro Jr., director of exterior design, Global Crossover Vehicles. “Everything about the Terrain communicates a sense of tailored toughness and passionate craftsmanship.”

Additional design features include a unique, three-element grille that is accented by a prominent chrome surround and projector-beam headlamps mounted in large, rectangular housings with chrome accents.

Interior details and flexibility

The Terrain’s rich, premium interior is influenced by industrial sculpture and exudes refinement exemplified by contrast stitching and fine materials that create a structured look throughout the cabin. A “floating” center stack, highlighted by warm ambient lighting, houses a multitude of ergonomic comfort and convenience controls.

The Terrain also features great attention to detail, with smart use of storage space and compartments that are suitable for a variety of items. They include an oversized glove box; a closed storage area in the instrument panel above the center stack; a closed storage compartment under the center armrest large enough for a laptop computer; and two-tier storage in the doors.

Terrain’s seats were developed to provide outstanding comfort and the standard MultiFlex sliding rear seat can be moved fore or aft nearly eight inches (200 mm), providing increased passenger comfort or greater rear cargo capacity. The 60/40-split rear seatback offers additional configurations for passengers and cargo; and the rear cargo area offers 31.6 cubic feet (894 liters) of storage, as well as one of the Terrain’s four auxiliary power outlets.

Confident and agile driving experience

Two new engines are offered on all Terrain models, each with fuel-saving direct injection and variable valve timing technology. Vehicle highlights include:

- New 3.0L DOHC direct injected V-6 engine estimated at 264 horsepower (197 kW), which delivers an estimated 25 mpg highway, 18 mpg city (EPA certification pending).

- New 2.4L Ecotec direct injected I-4 engine estimated at 182 horsepower (136 kW) that delivers an estimated 30 mpg highway, 21 mpg city (EPA certification pending)

- Driving range of more than 500 miles (800 km) with both engines, for less-frequent fill-ups

The powertrains are mounted on a rigid, body-integral structure, with single-piece body side stampings and targeted applications of high-strength steel. It is the foundation of a confident driving experience that is both smooth and responsive.

GM’s first application of Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) technology is used on 2.4L-equipped models. ANC uses microphones to detect booming sounds inside the vehicle and sends counteracting sound waves through the audio system’s speakers, ensuring a quiet driving experience at almost all vehicle speeds.

The Terrain rides on a 112.5-inch (2,857 mm) wheelbase and features a four-wheel independent suspension system, with wide front and rear tracks that enhance the ride and handling. A family of 17-inch, 18-inch aluminum and 19-inch chrome-clad wheels is available.

Terrain’s rack-mounted electric power steering system provides greater fuel efficiency on four-cylinder-equipped models, saving nearly 11 miles per tank of gas.

GMC Terrain will be produced at the CAMI assembly facility in Ingersoll, Ontario.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:10 AM
Safety Car

Old 04-06-2009, 08:10 AM
Safety Car

Old 04-06-2009, 08:14 AM
Safety Car

I'm not a big fan of the exterior at all. The interior's great, though. IMO, GMC is truely superfluous and in this market GM can stand to have Chevy be the only truck divison. A highly stylized CUV under the Enclave is more needed by Buick than by GMC.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:27 AM
Safety Car

Old 04-06-2009, 10:05 AM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I approve
Old 04-06-2009, 10:20 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
not feeling the squared off fender flares.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:24 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Hey GM! This is just a re-tarted Trailblazer (which was a pile of crap).

Stop building shit. Stop rebadging shit.

GMC and Pontiac need to die. Chevy cars and trucks at one dealership and Buick/Caddy at another. Saturn gets sold off.

Done and done.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:58 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by charliemike
Hey GM! This is just a re-tarted Trailblazer (which was a pile of crap).

Stop building shit. Stop rebadging shit.

GMC and Pontiac need to die. Chevy cars and trucks at one dealership and Buick/Caddy at another. Saturn gets sold off.

Done and done.
This CUV doesn't have anything to do with the Trailblazer at all. It doesn't share the same platform; it doesn't share the same transmission, or engines. It's an all new vehicle. I agree with the fact that GMC, Pontiac and Saturn needs to go, though.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:25 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Nice!
Old 04-06-2009, 12:36 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
meh. the equinox is so much better looking
Old 04-06-2009, 01:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The designer that approved the front of this SUV needs to punched in the kidney. Three times.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:20 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
that is one ugly truck, and that steering wheel
Old 04-06-2009, 01:28 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow .. i think the grille designers took a page from the Acura TL grille playbook .. the steering wheel looks like an RDX wheel.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:36 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally Posted by titan
This CUV doesn't have anything to do with the Trailblazer at all. It doesn't share the same platform; it doesn't share the same transmission, or engines. It's an all new vehicle. I agree with the fact that GMC, Pontiac and Saturn needs to go, though.
So it's simply coincidence that the proportions of this thing and the Trailblazer are similar?

And what constitutes "all-new" at GM? The wheelbases are virtually identical.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:47 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

2010 Terrain overlayed on 2006 Trailblazer. If I could find a profile of a Trailblazer EXT I'm sure the wheelbases would be identical.

GM can say what they want but they look like they've just moved deckchairs around on the Titanic.

Last edited by charliemike; 04-06-2009 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:35 PM
Safety Car

So it's simply coincidence that the proportions of this thing and the Trailblazer are similar?

Dude, the Trailblazer is an old ass ladder frame gas guzzling SUV. This thing is based off the Equinox's revised platform and get's 30MPG (HWY) with the base I4. The optional engine is the 3.6L DI V6. It's FWD based with an AWD option. The Terrain and Trailblazer have a similar sized wheelbase. So what? I don't think CUV is needed, but it's unfair to call it a "Tarted up Trailblazer," because it's not. Period.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:56 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,967 Likes on 2,645 Posts
I happen to like the big boxy look...though it does have a bit of a Leno chin.

Interior design

Finally starting to get it right with a little style.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:37 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Aside from the squared fender flares (they should have used the rounded ones) it looks great IMO. Although with the headlights being squared, it's more of a mini Tahoe rather than a mini Acadia.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:13 PM
Instructor

The picture made me angry it's that ugly. But reading some posts in here made me laugh so all's good. Especially the deck chairs on the Titanic comment. Doesn't matter if it's the same platform or not, it's the same old stuff (read: crap).

Front end is hideous, squared off fenders are hideous, always have been. Everything else is just meh. I do give them credit for an impressive list of features and a decent interior, although I'm scared the more I look at it the less I'll like it.

By no means do I wish ill upon the big 3 and their attempts to re-invent themselves, but efforts like this certainly don't win me over.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:08 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally Posted by titan
Dude, the Trailblazer is an old ass ladder frame gas guzzling SUV. This thing is based off the Equinox's revised platform and get's 30MPG (HWY) with the base I4. The optional engine is the 3.6L DI V6. It's FWD based with an AWD option. The Terrain and Trailblazer have a similar sized wheelbase. So what? I don't think CUV is needed, but it's unfair to call it a "Tarted up Trailblazer," because it's not. Period.
Fair enough but if you look at it, there's so little difference as to make no difference.

I don't care that it's on a new platform. It's just another shitty idea that got greenlighted.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:15 PM
Got da Internet Goin Nutz

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
A 30 mpg crossover is great as far as I'm concerned. Looks aren't all that bad, and I think it will compete well in it's segment. Did I already say 30 mpg?
Old 04-07-2009, 12:11 AM
The Third Ball

Fair enough but if you look at it, there's so little difference as to make no difference.

I don't care that it's on a new platform. It's just another shitty idea that got greenlighted.
Who jammed a barbed spike up your ass, what makes it so shitty?

Its a mini crossover sport ute that is still a widely popular market. And this looks to be light years ahead of the trailblazer.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:34 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts

I know you hate GM, Ford, Chrysler and all the domestic nameplates but holy hell you need to lay off the pipe. I don't even like this SUV much (count me in as another vote from the I-like-the-Equinox-better-and-think-GMC-is-useless crowd) but the article said its a (read as unibody crossover?) and it has 4-wheel independent suspension while the Trailblazer had a solid rear axle if I recall correctly. JUST because they have a similar profile and wheelbase DOES NOT mean they are the same.

That's like saying the 4th gen F-Body Camaro is almost the same as the all new Zeta 5th gen Camaro because they have the same name....
Old 04-07-2009, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
Who jammed a barbed spike up your ass, what makes it so shitty?

Its a mini crossover sport ute that is still a widely popular market. And this looks to be light years ahead of the trailblazer.

Maybe its just me but it seems like he has an agenda against domestics. Part of it being because their dashboards aren't as nice feeling to the touch and because they make a hollow reverb instead of a solid thump compared his Audi
Old 04-07-2009, 01:43 AM

As for my thoughts on the Terrain itself, I don't happen to like the big ass chrome strips on the top of the grill and on the liftgate.... but it doesn't deceptively look charming thanks to its boxy styling. Kinda deceives those that don't know its not a typical brawny body-on-frame SUV, just a lifted wagon in disguise. I'm sure its leaps and bounds better than the SUVs that came before it, if that interior weren't enough indication already.

And what happened, is this 1973 all over again? Who thought GM would offer a 4-cylinder in an SUV....
Old 04-07-2009, 12:04 PM
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
yeah, that's the car I've been waiting for, I'm so glad they've been working so hard making this
Old 04-07-2009, 12:11 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by Myxomatosis
yeah, that's the car I've been waiting for, I'm so glad they've been working so hard making this
So, true. Because the world revolves around you and solely what you want and like.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:34 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by Infamous425
Now that is a CUV that is worth looking at.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:26 PM
an asshole from florida

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Myxomatosis
because the RDX and ex35 look so much better than this
Old 04-07-2009, 07:00 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
x3
Old 04-07-2009, 07:18 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Chadwick
The picture made me angry it's that ugly. But reading some posts in here made me laugh so all's good. Especially the deck chairs on the Titanic comment. Doesn't matter if it's the same platform or not, it's the same old stuff (read: crap).

Front end is hideous, squared off fenders are hideous, always have been. Everything else is just meh. I do give them credit for an impressive list of features and a decent interior, although I'm scared the more I look at it the less I'll like it.

By no means do I wish ill upon the big 3 and their attempts to re-invent themselves, but efforts like this certainly don't win me over.

Hopefully GM can sell them but I personally wont buy one.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:15 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by invisiblewar
because the RDX and ex35 look so much better than this
the EX35 looks like shit. and is just about as worthwhile.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:00 PM
Safety Car

x4