Ford: Fusion News

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 09:10 AM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
^ sorry but that interior would look totally out of place in a honda. the design isnt modern enough and its typical american 'place the radio in the middle and slap fake wood around it'. the japs make it look more integrated together
Old 11-09-2005, 12:04 PM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think its bad, they probably could have done more to make it exciting inside though.

Old 11-09-2005, 12:17 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Infamous425
typical american 'place the radio in the middle and slap fake wood around it'. the japs make it look more integrated together
Point taken on that one. The Japanese are certainly better at intergrating the radio system into the dash.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:00 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by titan
Really, what's wrong with the Fusion's interior. The materials, and fit/finish are fine. The only thing you could have a problem with is the design, and that's fine, IMO. It's clean and straight forward, and woudn't look out of place in a Honda, as indicated in the comparison pics. The only thing I see is the Fusion's fake wood isn't quite as convincing as Honda's fake wood.
You wanna know what's wrong with it? Okay, here I go:

1. Steering wheel materials. Look at the centre on the Fusion. It's a hard plastic material. The centre on the Accord is a softer, rubberized material that doesn't look as cheap.

2. Steering wheel design. The Fusion's looks like something you drive a bus with, or one of those old Buick station wagons. The Accord's is still a bit large, but it doesn't look like it came straight out of 1986 with buttons attached to the side of it like the Fusion's.

3. Gauges. The Accord's are electroluminescent, like in Acuras. This doesn't make the Fusion's bad, but it makes the Accord look more expensive (and it is).

4. Buttonry on the centre console. The Ford's buttons LOOK cheap, the Honda's do not, IMO.

5. Climate and Radio display. The Ford still uses that old-school green, tiny display. It looks dated.

6. Surrounding plastic. On the Fusion's dash, the plastic is grainy and rough. Not so on the Accord.

7. Signal and wiper stalks. The Accord's are made out of a softer-grained plastic. It's not that hard, shiny stuff with seams like the Fusion's (I've seen one at the Ford dealer, and that's what it was).
Old 11-09-2005, 02:06 PM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DownUnder
I'm glad too see that Ford is starting to use all-in-one keyfobs. While Acura's (except RL) are still using the crappy keychain fob.

i see some volvo influence here in some of the dash materials and design.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:55 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by youngTL

1. Steering wheel materials. Look at the centre on the Fusion. It's a hard plastic material. The centre on the Accord is a softer, rubberized material that doesn't look as cheap.

2. Steering wheel design. The Fusion's looks like something you drive a bus with, or one of those old Buick station wagons. The Accord's is still a bit large, but it doesn't look like it came straight out of 1986 with buttons attached to the side of it like the Fusion's.

3. Gauges. The Accord's are electroluminescent, like in Acuras. This doesn't make the Fusion's bad, but it makes the Accord look more expensive (and it is).

4. Buttonry on the centre console. The Ford's buttons LOOK cheap, the Honda's do not, IMO.

5. Climate and Radio display. The Ford still uses that old-school green, tiny display. It looks dated.

6. Surrounding plastic. On the Fusion's dash, the plastic is grainy and rough. Not so on the Accord.

7. Signal and wiper stalks. The Accord's are made out of a softer-grained plastic. It's not that hard, shiny stuff with seams like the Fusion's (I've seen one at the Ford dealer, and that's what it was).
Sounds like you're just looking for ways to complain now. All those reasons sound pretty much rediculous imo.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Ford Develops a new 3.5L V6 and 6 speed auto:

http://media.ford.com/article_displa...&make_id=trust

-This motor looks really promising. Check the specs on the motor. It's boost friendly and was designed for Direct Inj. This motor will most likely make its way into the Ford 500 and Fusion.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:13 PM
Safety Car

The only problem I see is that only one power rating is listed which may mean only upper end models get it, leaving room only for an SVT fusion if even that.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:11 PM
Drifting

IMO the Fusion's interior is only a couple of notches below the Accord based on what I've seen. The Accord has the better design but materials are about equal on both.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by heyitsme
The only problem I see is that only one power rating is listed which may mean only upper end models get it, leaving room only for an SVT fusion if even that.
This engine will be like Nissan's VQ. The engine has a lot more power in it. The SVT Fusion could even use this engine in supercharged form. Ford built the engine for boost.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:18 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Maximized
Ford Develops a new 3.5L V6 and 6 speed auto:

http://media.ford.com/article_displa...&make_id=trust

-This motor looks really promising. Check the specs on the motor. It's boost friendly and was designed for Direct Inj. This motor will most likely make its way into the Ford 500 and Fusion.
That looks like a very good powertrain, problem is that it should've been already avalible in the Fusion this or at the very least early next year.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by DownUnder
That looks like a very good powertrain, problem is that it should've been already avalible in the Fusion this or at the very least early next year.
I agree 100 percent. The Fusion looks great and has recieved good reviews. A larger engine probably would have put it in 1st place in the recent C&D test.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:02 PM
Safety Car

Excellent engine. It can't get here soon enough, IMO.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:35 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Ford planning to add third shift to meet demand for new mid-size sedans - - By AMY WILSON | Automotive News - - Source: Autoweek

Betting that its Ford Fusion sedan will be a hit, Ford Motor Co. plans to add a third shift at its Hermosillo, Mexico, plant next year.

The third shift will start during the first quarter, Brian Vought, chief engineer of Ford's new mid-sized sedans, told Automotive News. Hermosillo makes about 800 combined units of the Fusion and its two siblings, the Mercury Milan and Lincoln Zephyr, each day.

The goal is to ramp up to 1,050 cars a day early next year.

At that rate, Hermosillo would produce about 250,000 vehicles annually, the Automotive News Data Center estimates. Ford has said that Hermosillo would have a maximum annual capacity of 300,000.

Production of the three cars began Aug. 1. Sales started in late September, and Ford says the Fusion already is selling beyond expectations. Ford sold 4,078 Fusions through October, about 50 percent more than it says it expected at that point.

"Vehicles are moving off dealer lots very quickly, and we are working to build dealer inventories," Vought wrote in an e-mail.

The Hermosillo cars have gotten off to a better start than new models from Ford's Chicago plant did a year ago.

Ford sold 6,618 of the Fusions, Milans and Zephyrs in October after beginning the month with just 1,100 in stock, said George Pipas, Ford's sales analysis and reporting manager. That was almost 1,000 units more than Ford sold of the Chicago-made Ford Five Hundred, Mercury Montego and Ford Freestyle in October 2004 when it had started the month with about 3,000 units.

The Hermosillo plant will nearly double its work force when the third shift is added.

Ford employs about 1,600 hourly workers and 220 salaried workers at Hermosillo, a Ford official said. The automaker plans to add 1,500 hourly workers and 50 salaried workers when production is increased next year, with some of the new workers assigned to the existing shifts.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:42 AM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
i've always wanted to drive a car built by some half conscious night shift worker
Old 11-16-2005, 11:20 AM
Safety Car

Kudos to Ford. I hope the Fusion (and siblings) will be a big hit for them. Hopefully, the Zephyr will keep Lincoln afloat until it can fill out the rest out the rest of it's line.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:26 AM
goldmemberererer

While I'm sure they're basing their decisions on a lot of market research, it seems to me that they should leave a slight (very slight) shortage instead of oversupplying and ending up with shitloads of inventory on their hands that they have to mark down significantly to move.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:26 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Memo to GM: Start building a good mid-size car.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:21 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
ive only seen 1 on the road
Old 11-16-2005, 06:02 PM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
While this is good news on the sedan front for Ford, I have a feeling most of those Fusion sales come at the expense of much higher margin SUVs and trucks. Even at those higher levels I'm not sure the Fusion will reach the sales of the Taurus.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:27 PM
hail to the victors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it's a great looking car, but interior really sucks. i've sat on this thing, and it feels like ford SUV's interior.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Memo to GM: Start building a good mid-size car.
Pontiac G6 is the closest they've got.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:15 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by M TYPE X
The G6 is like a woman that initially you think isn't attractive but then you see her again and change your mind. Yet each time you see her after that she is either attractive or unattractive but never consistently one or the other.

Ultimately, that lack of consistency hurts the car's appeal to me.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:40 PM
Safety Car

Agreed. The G6 is really a nice car. I wasn't sure until I was able to drive one, but I walked away impressed. It doesn't blow you away, but it's just as good as the competition. What I really look forward to, though, is the Aura. I'm hoping that does blow me away.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by chungkopi
it's a great looking car, but interior really sucks. i've sat on this thing, and it feels like ford SUV's interior.
Finally!! Someone who's actually sat in it says something!

It's really not that great people. Go sit in one, you'll know what I mean. And I know all my little reasons 'sound ridiculous', but the sum of them is enough to make the Fusion not quite up to the interior standards of the Accord, Camry, and Sonata.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by charliemike
The G6 is like a woman that initially you think isn't attractive but then you see her again and change your mind. Yet each time you see her after that she is either attractive or unattractive but never consistently one or the other.

For me, the price and the plastic fantastic interior killed it for me. I drove it, and it felt weak for a 3.5L V6, and the interior (even on the leather model) was plasticky. It really didn't feel like that big of a step up from the Bland Am.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For me, the price and the plastic fantastic interior killed it for me.
I felt the same way about a Cadillac CTS. How can it be that American cars are so hopelessly outclassed when it comes to interiors? :shakehead
Old 11-17-2005, 01:35 PM
Safety Car

Just sat in a Fusion today, leather, moonroof with the wood dash insert as shown.

Exterior really is great looking, I was impressed on what a slick looking car it was, but looked more on the size of a jetta rather than camcord/altima.

Inside, the drivers seat was comfortable, straightforward/clean layout, etc as shown, didn't see anything that would annoy me on a daily basis. It was certainly above GM and their G6 interior, but I didn't think it was on the same level as toyota or honda material wise-think there is a pretty big gap between Ford and those two, but I didn't think it was just crap either, its a decent start lets say.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:57 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Just sat in a Fusion today, leather, moonroof with the wood dash insert as shown.

Exterior really is great looking, I was impressed on what a slick looking car it was, but looked more on the size of a jetta rather than camcord/altima.

Inside, the drivers seat was comfortable, straightforward/clean layout, etc as shown, didn't see anything that would annoy me on a daily basis. It was certainly above GM and their G6 interior, but I didn't think it was on the same level as toyota or honda material wise-think there is a pretty big gap between Ford and those two, but I didn't think it was just crap either, its a decent start lets say.
I saw a Milan and REALLY liked the exterior ... But I've been a fanboi of the Euro Mondeo for a while and the Fusion/Milan is pretty close.

I still wouldn't buy one. I would consider leasing one though.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:38 PM
Safety Car

Looks like Ford has the Fusion on tonites Smallville, trying to get in with a younger crowd...
Old 11-17-2005, 07:45 PM

I agree with you. The way they have it now is that they have a legitimate competitor to the Accord, Camry, and Sonata. At least it's in the same class now. They're still lagging but it's not NEARLY as bad as the Taurus was. Not by a long shot! The good thing is if Honda and Toyota start getting too much competition (especially from the Sonata), we'll see prices of future Accords and Camrys (Camries?) stagnate (they won't lower them, but they might not increase from year-to-year for awhile).
Old 11-17-2005, 08:01 PM
Safety Car

Old 11-17-2005, 08:24 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by charliemike

Great analogy. I really want to like domestic cars, such the G6 and Fusion, but when it comes to actually shelling out my hard earned cash...I can't find a compelling reason to marry them.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PistonFan
Great analogy. I really want to like domestic cars, such the G6 and Fusion, but when it comes to actually shelling out my hard earned cash...I can't find a compelling reason to marry them.
What about a Lincoln Zephyr that costs $8000 more than a nearly-comparable Ford Fusion?
Old 11-18-2005, 02:48 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

What about a Lincoln Zephyr that costs $8000 more than a nearly-comparable Ford Fusion?
I agree but a lot of companies do that.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Crash test results: Ford Fusion disappoints

Crash test results: Ford Fusion disappoints

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/03/...ppoints-video/

New Fusion isn't up to par with midsize competitors: The Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan is among only two current midsize car designs (the other is the Dodge Stratus/Chrysler Sebring) that don't earn the highest rating of good in the Institute's frontal offset crash test. The Fusion without optional side airbags is rated poor for side crash protection, and it earned a marginal rating for rear crash protection.

"The Fusion is a disappointment because it's a brand new design," Lund says. "Ford has done a good job with some other recent models, but the Fusion is at the back of the pack among midsize cars for overall safety performance." In Fusions manufactured after January, Ford added a structure below the accelerator pedal designed to reduce injury risk to the right leg and foot in frontal offset crashes. "This fix didn't work in our test," Lund says. "Forces recorded on the dummy's right leg were high, and a metal pin broke in the dummy's ankle. Ford is doing more research to find a solution and has indicated it will ask the Institute to retest the Fusion for frontal crash performance later this year."

The Fusion earned the lowest rating of poor in the side impact test. Without side airbags, injury measures recorded on the driver dummy indicated that serious head injuries would be possible in a real-world crash of similar severity. Measures from other parts of the dummy indicated that rib fractures or internal organ injuries and a fractured pelvis also would be likely.

"The side structure of the Fusion held up reasonably well in the crash test, and this car's structural rating of acceptable is better than some other midsize models we've tested," Lund points out. Protection in the rear seat was reasonably good. The head of the dummy in the rear seat struck the pillar behind the rear door. This area is required by federal standard to provide some protection for an occupant's head, but the Fusion is rated poor overall because of high forces recorded on the driver dummy's head, pelvis, and torso.

The Fusion's side airbags aren't standard equipment, and the Institute's policy is to test vehicles without these airbags if they're optional. Manufacturers who want a second test with side airbags have to reimburse the Institute for the cost of the vehicle. Initially, Ford didn't request a second test of the Fusion with optional side airbags.

"Usually when an automaker doesn't ask for the optional test, we presume it means the side airbags wouldn't help much to improve the car's rating," explains Lund. "But now Ford has requested a second test, so the Fusion with side airbags may earn a better rating than poor. We'll conduct the test and report the result."
Old 03-07-2006, 08:07 AM
Safety Car

^ Not having side airbags, atleast as an OPTION, is un acceptable.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 03-07-2006, 08:54 AM
Instructor

Typical FORD or GM for that matter.... They see a jump in sales and right away they put 10 shifts to pump out crap loads of cars.... 6-12 months down the road, the sales ease and they are left with dealer lots full of cars. And the discount programs start over again to clear those lots.

This is what I like about Honda or Toyota. They do their research, plan for x amount of cars, then make them. Nothing left over and no low-invetory panic.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:58 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Fusion stacking up respectable stats for Ford after six months on market - - By AMY WILSON | AUTOMOTIVE NEWS - - Source: Autoweek

DETROIT - Six months after going on sale, the Ford Fusion, touted as the brand's game-changer in the car business, is stacking up respectable midseason stats.

Ford sold 19,142 Fusions in the first two months of this year. It estimates March sales will top 10,000.

U.S. dealers are selling the cars in less than a month on average, according to J.D. Power and Associates' Power Information Network. The average transaction price is strong but moderating. Ford says PIN also shows the Fusion conquesting non-Ford Motor buyers at a rate of 38.5 percent, beyond its initial 25 percent target.

"It's not in the category of just a knockout success," says Tom Libby, a J.D. Power analyst. "Its (transaction) price is declining. But it's perfectly all right."

Incentive spending averaged $1,653 in February, just above the segment average, according to PIN. Ford says Fusion retail sales are increasing by 15 percent each month.

"We were losing 50,000 Taurus, Focus and Mustang customers on average every year to competitor mid-sized vehicles," says Dan Geist, Fusion marketing manager. "With Fusion, we're helping to retain those people in our showroom."

Older nameplates sag
Meanwhile, the Ford brand's overall car sales have increased. Ford sold 128,611 cars in the first two months of this year, up 14.8 percent from a year ago.

A big chunk of that increase came from higher fleet sales in January and February. And though the Fusion generally is hitting its sales targets, other nameplates, such as the Focus, have faltered, says George Pipas, Ford sales analyst.

"It's the decay in the older vehicles," Pipas says. "If our carryover product would have done better, it would be obvious to everybody that the (Fusion and its sister vehicles) are doing so well."
High fleet sales
One twist to the Fusion launch has been more fleet sales than anticipated. In January 2005, Steve Lyons, then Ford Division president, said the Fusion would be withheld from daily rental fleets during its first six months. Lyons retired last month.

But Ford started selling the Fusion and its sister Mercury Milan and Lincoln Zephyr into fleets right away. Total fleet accounts for about 16 percent of sales for the trio. Less than 10 percent of total sales have been daily rental, Ford says.

Many dealers say the Fusion is off to a good start. Making the Fusion part of the Ford brand's focus-vehicle strategy, in which it concentrates advertising on key vehicles, is increasing consumer interest and showroom traffic, says Tom Addis, chairman of the Ford national dealer council and dealer principal of Lake City Ford in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho.

But several dealers have complained to Ford that the Fusion "Life in Drive" TV commercials don't tell consumers enough about content and pricing.

"The advertising has missed the mark at this point," says Mike Mellow, dealer principal at Placerville Ford in Placerville, Calif. Mellow says he has sold five Fusions at retail so far and has about 18 in stock. In his truck-dominated market about 40 miles east of Sacramento, the Fusion "is not doing anything for me."

Geist, the Fusion marketing manager, says the initial campaign was designed to build excitement for the new nameplate. He says Ford will introduce feature-oriented advertising during the next several months.

Quick Reply: Ford: Fusion News