Ford: Focus News

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 10:32 AM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,831 Likes on 3,852 Posts
This, in a nutshell, is why I didn't buy the Focus RS. The seats are shit, the ride is shit, and the interior is just cheap and crappy. It's an excellent performance car to drive on a track but not a daily. It's also why you can find so many used ones with extremely low miles and new ones with massive discounts.

Golf is not much slower if you get the DSG and is a metric fuckton better as a daily. Besides, if you really want the best hot hatch out there today, suck it up and buy the CTR. Just bring a car cover with you so you don't have to look at the outside.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:24 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Yea I'm not quite sure if Ford intended to make the Focus RS for the 3rd gen Focus to be honest. To me it could be like the FK2 CTR - which is an afterthought. To squeeze that kind of track performance, Ford had no choice but to make the suspension very stiff, resulting in a really harsh ride. The same can be said about the FK2-R from what I've read. It's fast as hell on a track, but not really livable.

The FK8 on the other hand has always been part of the plan for the 10th gen Civic. Engineers had everything planned with Type R in mind for it. As a result, not only does it match (or even exceed) the performance of the Focus RS, but it also offers a fine ride that is perfect for a daily driver.

Lol at the seat position too. I sat in one in the auto show and damn it's awkward.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:12 AM

Received 5,293 Likes on 3,627 Posts
https://www.carscoops.com/2018/12/sa...oboost-engine/

The Ford Focus ST has been highly praised for combination of performance, handling and value. The company is working on an all-new model and several pictures of the hot hatch recently surfaced on a private forum.

Looking more elegant and aggressive than its predecessor, the 2019 Focus ST features a prominent grille with a honeycomb mesh insert. The model has also been equipped with a unique front bumper that echoes the one offered on the Focus ST-Line.

Despite the similarities, the Focus ST has grey accents and a larger front splitter. The honeycomb mesh pattern is also echoed on the lower air intake, unlike the more affordable Focus ST-Line.

Moving further back, we can see unique side skirts and gloss black door handles. The model has also been equipped with lightweight wheels that are backed up by a high-performance braking system with red calipers.

The two-tone design continues at the rear as the model has a gloss black spoiler and a painted diffuser. Designers also installed a lightly modified bumper and a dual exhaust system.

Interior changes don’t appear to be drastic, but the model has Recaro sport seats with ST badging on the backrests. Elsewhere, we can see faux carbon fiber trim, metallic accents and a leather-wrapped steering wheel with white contrast stitching.

Of course, the Focus ST is all about performance and the car is slated to use a new 2.3-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder engine. It produces 286 hp (213 kW / 290 PS) and 324 lb-ft (440 Nm) of torque in Euro-spec Mustang, but its output in the Focus ST remains unconfirmed.

Regardless of the engine’s specifications, the model will feature an assortment of other performance upgrades. Many of the changes will focus on the suspension which should be lower and stiffer than the one used on the standard model.

Ford has been tight-lipped about the car, but it won’t be debuting at the Geneva Motor Show as the company has already announced plans to skip the event.

Old 12-06-2018, 12:16 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
I think it looks great... but i didnt know now Ford has an "ST-line"
So is ST = M and AMG now?
ST line = F Sport and M sport?
Old 12-06-2018, 02:02 PM

I think so, Euro-spec trims.
They also get the Vignale trim, which I think is a step up from out Titanium trim level.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:08 AM

https://www.motor1.com/news/297524/f...kup-spy-shots/

Ford reportedly plans to build the Focus-based truck in Mexico and export it to the U.S. and Brazil.

A recent report indicated that Ford was nearly ready to begin evaluating test mules of its upcoming Focus-based pickup. These new spy shots suggest the Blue Oval's engineers are checking out the new truck even more quickly than previously anticipated. Given the extreme amount of camouflage on this vehicle, the company apparently doesn't want to show too much of the little carry-all yet.

There's very little to discern about the truck's design from this test mule because Ford covers the entire exterior with black body cladding. We can't even see the cargo bed because the engineers fit a cap that makes the model look more like a little van than a pickup. Our spies are quite confident that there is a truck beneath all of this concealment, though.

While using the same platform as the new Focus, the pickup reportedly rides on a longer wheelbase and has a distinct style, according to a report from Motor1.com's Brazilian edition. Ford's Focus-based pickup would slot below the Ranger in the automaker's truck offerings. The new model's platform supports an all-wheel-drive layout, but base versions might use front drive. Propulsion would come from 1.5- and 2.0-liter turbocharged engines.

The name for this new vehicle remains a mystery. North American reports indicate that Ford favors the Courier moniker for this little truck. However, Motor1.com's Brazilian team indicates the vehicle might revive the Ranchero nameplate there. With Broncoand Ranger making returns to the U.S. market, maybe it's time for Ranchero to come back, too.

Ford reportedly intends to build the Focus-based truck in Mexico. It would launch in Brazil in 2021 and possibly begin deliveries in the U.S. about a year later.

Old 12-14-2018, 11:00 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
oh no bby what is you doin?
Old 12-14-2018, 12:14 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by Costco
oh no bby what is you doin?
They are building a baby Bronco too so my guess is this helps offset the development costs.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:22 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

I was thinking too that they are selling a lot of the Transit Connect as commercial vehicles. Perhaps there’s a demand for similar small pickups. I can’t say for sure, of course, but the Transit Connect has a payload of 1500lbs so maybe a small truck would meet a need too.
Old 12-14-2018, 03:39 PM
Ex-OEM King

This is the US, I figured there was zero demand for smaller trucks but there's definitely lots of demand for bigger ones...
Old 12-17-2018, 10:07 AM

I can't see this being a hit here in the US. If anyone wants a 'small' truck, they're most likely to go Taco/Colorado/Ridgeline, or soon to be Ranger.
But, who knows.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:59 AM

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/gen...-torque-type-r

Fiesta ST's big brother offers petrol, diesel, hatch and estate versions

Believe it or not, this is the fourth generation of Ford Focus ST. Rivals with that sort of lineage were inducted into the hot hatchback hall of fame long ago, and yet it’s safe to say the ST’s still a long way from icon status.

There are plausible reasons why; every generation has had a burlier RS brother muscling its way into the limelight, beside which the ST can only ever feel tame. Especially when it’s been offered in both estate and diesel versions. The glamour fades when your performance car can also play the role of a minicab.

The smaller Fiesta ST is a real star, though, and perhaps in the hope some of its magic might rub off on its bigger brother, Ford has seemingly used the same grille and paint tins on the latest Focus ST. It’s still got a pretty malleable spec, mind; you’ve a choice of five-door hatch or estate, petrol or diesel and manual or automatic. Serious drivers need only apply for the petrol, though.

For starters, its 2.3-litre four-cylinder turbo produces 276bhp and 310lb ft, and while the former isn’t class leading, effectively matching the Renault Megane RS and Hyundai i30N, the latter beats the current class champion, the Honda Civic Type R. Ford reckons on 0-62mph in sub-6.0secs.

Only the petrol comes with turbo lag-busting tech from the Ford GT and a new electronic limited-slip differential on the driven front axle, too. Ford claims the latter is quicker-reacting and more accurate than the mechanical set-ups we like so much in the ST’s hardcore rivals. The diesel (a 187bhp/295lb ft 2.0-litre, for what it’s worth) gets a brake-based torque vectoring system in its place, and can’t be mated to the seven-speed auto.

The ST also offers an optional Performance Pack, which brings rev-matching to the six-speed manual gearbox, launch control and a clever suspension system (called Continuously Controlled Damping) which monitors various parameters every two milliseconds and tells the dampers to soak things up accordingly.

Suspension changes otherwise sound relatively minor, but the standard Focus is pretty damn good to drive, so it’s not worth worrying. The ST sits 10mm lower and is marginally stiffer, while its steering is 15 per cent quicker. The estate has a different set up to account for the heavier loads it’ll carry.

The Performance Pack also adds a Track mode, possessing looser stability control settings, to the car’s drive mode roster. It’s the first time those have appeared in the Focus ST, and they look simple to cycle through thanks to steering wheel-mounted buttons. Which goes some way to chip away at our concerns about the Sport and Track modes’ electronic noise enhancement tech. Could be good, could be dodgy; these systems can go either way.

While we’re talking exhaust noise, the pipes have moved to the outer edges of the rear diffuser to right a wrong of the old ST, whose central exhaust pipe denied it towing capability. Rest assured you can hitch a caravan to this one. Other cloyingly sensible abilities include adaptive cruise control, fully automated parking and the fact the ST can act as a wifi hotspot for up to ten devices. Perhaps most importantly of all, though, yes, you can still have it in orange. Perhaps there’s some glamour here after all.

Old 02-18-2019, 10:43 AM
Ex-OEM King

Damn shame we can't get that here.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:46 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
We did it to ourselves
Old 02-18-2019, 12:08 PM

Do they have a DCT option in Europe? Saw mention of an auto, but no detail.
Old 02-18-2019, 01:25 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,454 Likes on 923 Posts
Oh wow, the 2.3L. The rear flows pretty well but I'm not so sure about the front.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:04 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally Posted by RPhilMan1
Oh wow, the 2.3L. The rear flows pretty well but I'm not so sure about the front.
So fucking bummed this isn’t coming here.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:13 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
Better looking that the Mazda 3 hatch.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:23 AM

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/03/04/...up-spy-photos/

Rumblings of a Ford pickup to slot underneath the Ranger are out, and here's more physical evidence of the truck's existence. Previous spy shotsmade us believe that this Ford (maybe Courier?) was based on the new Focus platform. These underpinnings are modular, and would theoretically be adaptable to a small, unibody truck.

The news out of these photos is a clear look at the independent rear suspension this truck appears to be sporting, affirming its humble car roots. We spotted a dual exhaust setup out back, a relatively aggressive setup for what will most likely be a little turbo four banger. This truck is wearing what appears to be the same camouflage outfit as the previous truck we saw, but it's tougher to see through. Instead of trying to look through it, we have a better view of the truck's profile with quality front three quarter photos. An upright face is apparent in these shots, with a horizontal-bar grille looking like the prominent design language. We wouldn't be surprised to see various trims get an assortment of faces, though.

We're still seeing the same body line running down the whole side of the truck like before, presumably tracing the outline of bedsides. Ford is careful not to give anything else about the shape away beyond this. There are a ton of elements in this camo that try to suggest it's a van and not a truck. However, our spy shooter who saw the test vehicle in person is convinced it's a pickup. There have been reports of this truck being on the way, and a Ford exec also said something akin to this is coming. As we connect the dots, everything seems to be pointing toward this little truck being the real deal.

Old 03-06-2019, 10:23 AM

Looks more like an Escape or Transit Connect than a Focus.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:55 AM

https://www.motor1.com/news/349858/f...agon-revealed/

Look away, America. You're not getting this one either.

Ford is rubbing salt into the wound of enthusiasts eager to buy an attainable performance vehicle in North America by introducing the new Focus ST wagon. Following in the footsteps of other forbidden fruits such as the Fiesta ST and the Focus ST hatchback, the long-roof version of the latter has arrived to blend punchy engines with the extra practicality expected from a wagon.

Over in Europe where the Focus ST wagon will go on sale this summer, Ford is going to sell the car with a choice between a 2.3-liter EcoBoost gasoline engine and a 2.0-liter diesel. Like in the hot hatch, the former will push out 276 hp at 5,500 rpm and 310 pound-feet (420 Newton-meters) from 3,000 rpm channeled to the front wheels through a standard six-speed manual gearbox or an optional seven-speed automatic. No word about performance just yet, but we’re expecting the wagon to need a little bit more than the six seconds it takes for the slightly lighter hatchback to hit 62 mph (100 kph) from a standstill.

Should you prefer a diesel, the EcoBlue unit is good for 187 hp at 3,500 rpm and 295 lb-ft (400 Nm) from 2,000 rpm. We’ll have to wait for the company to release details regarding performance, but it’s safe to say the diesel is slower than the EcoBoost model. On the flip side, it offers better fuel efficiency if you care about that in a speedy wagon.

Regardless of the body style you go for, the new Focus ST comes loaded with goodies such as an electronic limited-slip differential making its debut on a front-wheel-drive Ford along with the company’s quickest electric power-assisted steering to date. Add into the mix a pair of Recaro body-hugging seats and an independent rear suspension with active damping – and it makes the car a worthy adversary for the SEAT Leon Cupra R ST and the Skoda Octavia RS Combi.

Old 05-16-2019, 08:15 AM
GO RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Received 1,774 Likes on 1,233 Posts
Looks like a cross between a Mazda & Kia.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:12 AM
Ex-OEM King

I just got back from Germany and the amount of forbidden fruit I saw made me super sad. This is the sort of wagon I can seriously get behind and would work awesome as a daily. Far better than an Escape.
The following 2 users liked this post by SamDoe1:
00TL-P3.2 (05-16-2019), charliemike (05-16-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 07:54 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
^ +1.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:09 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
I think it looks decent.. but i am thinking very hard to find a "commodity car" in 2019 that still has reflector Halogen headlights....
The following users liked this post:
Comfy (02-13-2020)
Old 05-17-2019, 09:36 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
I think it looks decent.. but i am thinking very hard to find a "commodity car" in 2019 that still has reflector Halogen headlights....
I wouldn’t be surprised if LED headlights were an option.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:57 AM

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/07/08/...-drive-review/

Ford fans upset the new Focus ST won’t be coming to America can take some comfort in the fact their European brothers remain equally envious of the F-150 Raptors and Shelby GT350s the U.S. saves for itself. Forbidden fruit retains a powerful appeal though, a fact that Ford Performance’s European Engineering Manager Stefan Muenzinger understands himself. He’s lucky – after tasting the GT350 on a U.S. secondment he was able to buy one and ship it home to Germany. Sadly he can’t return the favor and send a boatload of Focus STsback the other way across the Atlantic.

This is a seriously capable performance hatch and a significant step up in ambition for the new Focus ST. If the previous one was jalapeno hot, this new version is more habanero. Sure, the 280-horsepower, 2.3-liter EcoBoost is detuned somewhat compared with its previous application in the Focus RS. But this new ST has ambitions to become a benchmark all-round hot-hatch king in the mould of the Golf GTI, the addition of diesel and station wagon variants only increasing its appeal.

Amid some significant restructuring, factory closures, and job losses in Ford’s European operation, the launch of the Focus ST is a temporary relief. Leo Roeks, Muenzinger’s boss and head of Ford Performance Europe, remains upbeat and says he is busy with new projects. But it’s clear Ford is keen to promote a good news story like this.

Chatting with Muenzinger his priority with the Focus ST was to carry over the spirit of its Fiesta brother, albeit with the greater sophistication of the Focus. Asked to pick one quality setting this ST apart from the Golf GTI, Hyundai i30 N (the Euro equivalent to the Veloster N), and Honda Civic Type R they benchmarked, he nominates the steering. The Focus ST has a Ferrari-fast rack ratio, taking just two turns to go lock to lock. He also points to the adaptive Continuously Controlled Damping and an active, torque-distributing front axle similar to the VAQ ‘differential’ Volkswagen fits to the Golf GTI. The traction benefits are clear, the Focus ST hitting 0-62 mph in 5.8 seconds and matching the all-wheel drive RS over a quarter-mile.

All this gives the new Focus ST a wider bandwidth of ability. And drivers can further customize things with various driving modes (familiar from other Ford Performance products) and an optional Performance Pack. The latter adds Track mode to the standard Slippery/Wet, Normal and Sport, bringing with it rev-matching, launch control and an even sharper calibration for the steering, ‘diff’, throttle and stability control. It all comes at a cost though; the European MSRP is now equivalent to premium rivals like the Golf.

The new Focus is a handsome, if somewhat understated, machine compared with its predecessors. It sports some ST embellishments, like the grille, 19-inch wheels and rear spoiler, that set it apart from the rest of the range. That said, the overall effect is relatively subtle given the intent, particularly in the optional Ford Performance Blue. But select the aptly named Orange Fury, and the visual impact matches the promise of its spreadsheet. The cabin gets Recaro seats, Sync 3 infotainment with nav, and plenty of standard equipment – but still can’t match the soon-to-retire Golf for premium feel or tech integration.

Thankfully for Ford the Focus proves itself more than a one-trick pony, the extra scope of the chassis tech and the modes controlling it meaning it can play to a much wider audience. Normal mode is just that, only a degree of low-speed brittleness hinting at the car’s true intent. As speeds rise the ST noticeably tenses as it switches to Sport mode with some additional piped-in engine sound, decisively stiffer damping and reduced slack in steering, throttle and response from the front axle. With climate, cambers, and corners roughly equivalent to a Californian canyon road, the test route in southern France provides the kind of challenge a European Ford Performance product shines on.

Previous experience of the Fiesta ST on these same roads is an interesting comparison, especially given the stated ambition to match the smaller car’s sense of agility and fun. Like the Fiesta, the Focus is all about front-end bite, through both the fast steering and the balance of the chassis. This response – and the lack of understeer – give you immediate confidence to push. The Fiesta’s less sophisticated suspension setup means it feels more playful in response to throttle lifts and trailed brakes. In contrast, the Focus is more mature and tied-down, but shrugs off ever more ambitious corner entry speeds with steadfast grip on turn-in and superb traction as you power out of the turn.

In Sport, and to a greater degree in Track, the eLSD plays a bigger part, though it demands a firmer hand at the wheel to counteract a desire to sniff out cambers and writhe in your hands as the power goes down. Hold your nerve – and right foot – and the ST hauls itself out of the turns so enthusiastically you rarely wish for the RS’s all-wheel drive. This sensation will be familiar to European hot hatch drivers, but the new ST’s proactive approach puts it at the head a very competitive class. European customers have always rated the Focus highly for its ride quality and the new ST takes this to new levels, the sophisticated dampers swallowing all these demanding roads throw at them while keeping the driver in touch with what the chassis is up to. Most impressive is the ability to switch from relaxed cruise to maximum attack at the touch of a button, Ford making good use of the CCD dampers’ range of ability.

While the engine feels unremarkable beyond its torquey punch and mid-range grunt, it does gain some neat tricks, such as an anti-lag system inspired by the GT and rev-matching on up- and downshifts. Flat upshifts and ultra-smooth downshifts make the already sweet stickshift even more satisfying, though hardcore manual enthusiasts will be annoyed that you can’t turn it off in Sport or Track modes. A seven-speed auto will arrive later in the year.

Overall, Ford is less obsessed about chasing numbers than some of its rivals, concentrating instead on sensation. In this respect the ST is a masterclass and far closer to the RS, albeit with the all-round usability and friendliness of its predecessor. In this respect it’s like the best of both and a serious step up. More’s the pity we won’t be seeing it this side of the Atlantic.

RPhilMan1 (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 08:58 AM

Looks good, IMO.
Shame they dropped it here. I think I said it elsewhere, I see tons of Fusion & Focus around here.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:59 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

JFC that orange ST makes me so frustrated we won’t be getting it. I love the color and how much better this generation is than the previous one.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:05 AM

I don't think I could do the orange, but it seems quite a promising car.
Maybe FMC will reverse the axe & keep the Focus on as a low-production offering

If/when gas spikes again, Ford won't have a lot of high MPG options outside of the Escape.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:46 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,454 Likes on 923 Posts
I'm not so high on the exterior design, but all of the changes sound really good. It really is a shame. Pretty much guarantees my next car won't be a Ford.
Old 07-09-2019, 03:13 PM

It has a bit of a softer look to it, but I like it.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:38 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

I love this profile and this color. I wouldn’t change a thing.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:21 AM

The rear has a bit of a Forte look, but pulls it off well. The front could look a bit more aggressive, at least in ST/RS guise.
Profile & rear are the best angles, IMO.
Old 02-12-2020, 03:50 PM

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/2...gh-141025.html

Expected to arrive in 2022 at the earliest, the next generation of the Focus RS is shrouded in rumors. Because the Ford Motor Company hasn’t made any comments on the go-faster and long-anticipated model, it's very hard to guess what the future holds for the uber hatchback.

In the first instance, 48-volt mild hybridization and the
2.3-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder turbo were expected to suffice. 400 PS (395 horsepower) would be adequate when compared to the A 45 S from Mercedes-AMG, but Ford may actually switch to a hybrid.

“The mild hybrid is not enough,” said an unnamed source to Autocar.co.uk, and the reason it’s not enough is emissions. Europe will enforce a fleet average figure of 95 grams per kilometer, a change that’s already convinced Subaru to hike up the price of the BRZ by just around 15 percent.

“We’re still waiting for the right concept, especially on the powertrain,” concluded the source, meaning that the 2.3-liter EcoBoost could be switched with a different engine. The Atkinson-cycle powerplant with 2.5 liters of displacement in the Kuga Hybrid is a potential candidate as long as the Ford Motor Company is willing to add a twin-scroll turbocharger.

The British publication expects something in the ballpark of 300 horsepower from the internal combustion engine plus 100 horsepower from the electric motor. GKN supplied the rear differential of the previous model, and looking forward, the eTwinsterX electrified axle may be the answer if the engineers can make it drive the rear wheels with instant torque.

Because Ford plans to deliver 40 electrified models by 2022 – ranging from mild hybrids to EVs – there are chances for the Focus RS to go hybrid as Autocar’s report indicates. The question is, how much money would the e-axle and 2.5-liter EcoBoost add to the price tag?

The preceding model used to retail at 40,000 euros and change, almost 41,000 in Germany. The Focus ST is listed at 32,200 euros with the 2.0-liter EcoBlue turbo diesel, and that’s already a lot of money for a warm hatchback.

Considering that Mercedes-AMG charges 56,227.50 euros for the A 45 4Matic+ with the 387-PS engine, it’s possible that Ford will hike up the starting price of the Focus RS to approximately 45,000 euros, translating to 50,000 with a few extras.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:41 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
If/when gas spikes again, Ford won't have a lot of high MPG options outside of the Escape.
Why do you think that is a problem? If Ford can produce the car in question in Europe, why can't they produce the same one in US if needed? After all there won't be any development costs to worry about, Ford Inc owns European Ford, right?
Old 02-14-2020, 09:28 AM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by Comfy
Why do you think that is a problem? If Ford can produce the car in question in Europe, why can't they produce the same one in US if needed? After all there won't be any development costs to worry about, Ford Inc owns European Ford, right?
The design of the car for NA vs EU is different. There's a lot of things that have to change to meet various regulatory criteria for different countries. The advantage in Europe is they all just meet general EU criteria to sell in all the countries.
The following 2 users liked this post by SamDoe1:
charliemike (02-14-2020), RPhilMan1 (02-14-2020)
Old 02-14-2020, 02:26 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

I’m pretty sure if the new Focus ST was available here I would have bought one.
RPhilMan1 (02-17-2020)
Old 08-24-2021, 09:15 AM

https://www.netcarshow.com/ford/2022-focus_st_edition/

Ford announced a new, special edition version of the Focus ST five-door hot hatchback that enhances driving dynamics with upgraded suspension and light-weight wheels for ultimate road and track driving experiences, alongside unique exterior and interior specifications.

The Ford Focus ST Edition is available to order in selected European markets, including the UK priced from £35,785. The most dynamic version yet of the fourth generation Focus ST offers true driving enthusiasts the opportunity to tailor the driving dynamics to their personal preference using a Ford Performance-tuned adjustable coilover suspension system.

Cornering responses and driving dynamics are further enhanced with standard flow-formed alloy wheels that reduce unsprung weight, and Sports Technologies including a hydraulically-activated electronic limited-slip differential (eLSD) and selectable Drive Modes, including Track Mode, contributing to an even more rewarding and confident Focus ST driving experience.

Ford Performance has developed the Focus ST Edition exclusively in five-door hatchback body style to ensure the lowest possible weight for optimised control and precision, and with the 2.3-litre EcoBoost petrol engine and six-speed manual transmission, 1 for maximum driver engagement.

A unique exterior is distinguished by an Azura Blue finish unavailable elsewhere in the Focus line-up, eye-catching high gloss black detailing and a distinctive black roof. Interior enhancements include part-leather Recaro sports seats, blue detail stitching and a red ST starter button.

"The new Focus ST Edition takes the hot hatchback to a new level of handling precision and control," said Stefan Muenzinger, Ford Performance manager, Europe. "Not only does it offer increased poise and responsiveness for the enthusiast, but also gives the ability to tailor the feel and handling balance of the car to the customer."

Precision and control

The Ford Focus ST Edition will arrive with customers featuring a factory chassis configuration that has been extensively tested and developed by Ford Performance, including at Germany's Nürburgring Nordschleife.

Fine-tuned to optimise balance and control through corners while working hand-in-hand with the vehicle's high-performance powertrain, the chassis also offers drivers the flexibility to further tailor suspension settings to their specific driving style or environment.

The two-way adjustable coilover suspension system, produced by motorsport specialists KW Automotive, features twin-tube stainless steel damper housings and powder-coated springs, with a distinctive Ford Performance Blue finish. Focus ST Edition's ride height is lowered 10 mm front and rear compared with the standard Focus ST, with a further adjustment of 20 mm available to the customer. Spring rates are increased by more than 50 per cent compared with the standard Focus ST.

Twelve jounce settings - the degree of upward damper movement allowed as the wheel contacts a bump in the road, and 16 rebound settings - the speed at which the damper returns to position after an upward movement, give Focus ST drivers an even greater degree of control over cornering responses.

The Ford Focus ST Edition is also supplied with a technical document providing recommended suspension settings for a variety of driving conditions - including a dedicated setting for the Nürburgring - to help performance driving enthusiasts fine-tune their driving experiences.

The lightweight 19-inch alloy wheels, equipped as standard with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tyres, reduce unsprung mass by 10 per cent at each corner of the vehicle. The wheels are constructed using a flow forming process, which compacts the aluminium alloy to retain tensile strength and increase shock resistance while using less material. Able to more effectively follow the profile of rougher road surfaces and reduce the demand on the Focus ST Edition's dampers and springs, the lightened wheels improve tyre contact with the road for enhanced grip and responses.

The Focus ST Edition continues to utilise sophisticated Sports Technologies to enhance performance, including an innovative eLSD that uses hydraulically activated clutches to redistribute up to 100 per cent of the available torque to the wheel with more traction to counteract wheelspin. Faster-acting and more precise than a conventional mechanical LSD, the system can pre-emptively adjust torque based on inputs from engine and vehicle sensors.

The 2.3-litre EcoBoost all-aluminium engine uses a low-inertia twin-scroll turbocharger alongside an optimised air intake and exhaust system to deliver 280 PS of power at 5,500 rpm and 420 Nm of torque from 3,000 rpm to 4,000 rpm. Anti-lag technology inspired by the Ford GT supercar and F-150 Raptor pick-up also delivers even faster power delivery in Sport and Track drive modes.

Acceleration from 0-62 mph takes 5.7 seconds, with standing start performance supported by flat-shift capability that holds the throttle open when the clutch is disengaged during upshifts through the six-speed manual gearbox. The Focus ST Edition can reach a top speed of 155 mph.

Drivers can also use selectable Drive Modes to adjust eLSD, throttle mapping, electronic power-assisted steering (EPAS) and electronic stability control (ESC) characteristics to match the driving scenario. A dedicated Track mode provides the sharpest responses and the most freedom within the ESC system for the maximum driver feedback and engagement.

As with the standard Focus ST, an optimised steering knuckle design; responsive, two turn lock-to-lock EPAS; and performance braking system with 330 mm front, 302 mm rear discs and optimised fade resistance support enthusiast driving on track.

Distinctive design

The Ford Focus ST Edition's practical five-door hatchback body benefits from exclusive features and specification inside and out.

The unmistakeable Azura Blue exterior paint colour contrasts with High Gloss Black detailing on the upper grille, front bumper wings and door-mirror caps, as well as the rear roof spoiler and rear diffuser panel. The roof panel is also finished in high gloss black and is complemented by ST badges edged with a black surround.

Inside, the Focus ST Edition's standard part-leather Recaro sports seats are edged in Ford Performance blue stitching, with the same effect used on the leather ST steering wheel, gear lever gaiter, centre console knee pads and floor mats. The engine start button is also finished with sporty red lettering to complement the ST badges.

The Ford Focus ST Edition joins the existing, Ford Performance-developed Focus ST line-up that offers five-door and wagon body styles, 280 PS 2.3-litre EcoBoost petrol and 190 PS 2.0-litre EcoBlue diesel engines, and a seven-speed automatic transmission option for the EcoBoost petrol.

Old 08-24-2021, 09:32 AM
Ex-OEM King

Time to pour one out for this homie...

Quick Reply: Ford: Focus News