Ford: Focus News **Truck Version Planned (page 31)** - Page 31 - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Go Back  AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community > Automotive Discussion > Automotive News
Reload this Page >

Ford: Focus News **Truck Version Planned (page 31)**

Notices
Automotive News
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford: Focus News **Truck Version Planned (page 31)**

Old 11-29-2018, 11:32 AM
Ex-OEM King

Thanked 1,526 Times in 1,054 Posts
This, in a nutshell, is why I didn't buy the Focus RS. The seats are shit, the ride is shit, and the interior is just cheap and crappy. It's an excellent performance car to drive on a track but not a daily. It's also why you can find so many used ones with extremely low miles and new ones with massive discounts.

Golf is not much slower if you get the DSG and is a metric fuckton better as a daily. Besides, if you really want the best hot hatch out there today, suck it up and buy the CTR. Just bring a car cover with you so you don't have to look at the outside.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:24 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Yea I'm not quite sure if Ford intended to make the Focus RS for the 3rd gen Focus to be honest. To me it could be like the FK2 CTR - which is an afterthought. To squeeze that kind of track performance, Ford had no choice but to make the suspension very stiff, resulting in a really harsh ride. The same can be said about the FK2-R from what I've read. It's fast as hell on a track, but not really livable.

The FK8 on the other hand has always been part of the plan for the 10th gen Civic. Engineers had everything planned with Type R in mind for it. As a result, not only does it match (or even exceed) the performance of the Focus RS, but it also offers a fine ride that is perfect for a daily driver.

Lol at the seat position too. I sat in one in the auto show and damn it's awkward.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:12 AM
Registered Member

Thanked 1,399 Times in 1,032 Posts
https://www.carscoops.com/2018/12/sa...oboost-engine/

The Ford Focus ST has been highly praised for combination of performance, handling and value. The company is working on an all-new model and several pictures of the hot hatch recently surfaced on a private forum.

Looking more elegant and aggressive than its predecessor, the 2019 Focus ST features a prominent grille with a honeycomb mesh insert. The model has also been equipped with a unique front bumper that echoes the one offered on the Focus ST-Line.

Despite the similarities, the Focus ST has grey accents and a larger front splitter. The honeycomb mesh pattern is also echoed on the lower air intake, unlike the more affordable Focus ST-Line.

Moving further back, we can see unique side skirts and gloss black door handles. The model has also been equipped with lightweight wheels that are backed up by a high-performance braking system with red calipers.

The two-tone design continues at the rear as the model has a gloss black spoiler and a painted diffuser. Designers also installed a lightly modified bumper and a dual exhaust system.

Interior changes don’t appear to be drastic, but the model has Recaro sport seats with ST badging on the backrests. Elsewhere, we can see faux carbon fiber trim, metallic accents and a leather-wrapped steering wheel with white contrast stitching.

Of course, the Focus ST is all about performance and the car is slated to use a new 2.3-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder engine. It produces 286 hp (213 kW / 290 PS) and 324 lb-ft (440 Nm) of torque in Euro-spec Mustang, but its output in the Focus ST remains unconfirmed.

Regardless of the engine’s specifications, the model will feature an assortment of other performance upgrades. Many of the changes will focus on the suspension which should be lower and stiffer than the one used on the standard model.

Ford has been tight-lipped about the car, but it won’t be debuting at the Geneva Motor Show as the company has already announced plans to skip the event.

Old 12-06-2018, 01:16 PM
Registered Member

Thanked 2,431 Times in 1,693 Posts
I think it looks great... but i didnt know now Ford has an "ST-line"
So is ST = M and AMG now?
ST line = F Sport and M sport?
Old 12-06-2018, 03:02 PM
Registered Member

I think so, Euro-spec trims.
They also get the Vignale trim, which I think is a step up from out Titanium trim level.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:08 AM
Registered Member

https://www.motor1.com/news/297524/f...kup-spy-shots/

Ford reportedly plans to build the Focus-based truck in Mexico and export it to the U.S. and Brazil.

A recent report indicated that Ford was nearly ready to begin evaluating test mules of its upcoming Focus-based pickup. These new spy shots suggest the Blue Oval's engineers are checking out the new truck even more quickly than previously anticipated. Given the extreme amount of camouflage on this vehicle, the company apparently doesn't want to show too much of the little carry-all yet.

There's very little to discern about the truck's design from this test mule because Ford covers the entire exterior with black body cladding. We can't even see the cargo bed because the engineers fit a cap that makes the model look more like a little van than a pickup. Our spies are quite confident that there is a truck beneath all of this concealment, though.

While using the same platform as the new Focus, the pickup reportedly rides on a longer wheelbase and has a distinct style, according to a report from Motor1.com's Brazilian edition. Ford's Focus-based pickup would slot below the Ranger in the automaker's truck offerings. The new model's platform supports an all-wheel-drive layout, but base versions might use front drive. Propulsion would come from 1.5- and 2.0-liter turbocharged engines.

The name for this new vehicle remains a mystery. North American reports indicate that Ford favors the Courier moniker for this little truck. However, Motor1.com's Brazilian team indicates the vehicle might revive the Ranchero nameplate there. With Broncoand Ranger making returns to the U.S. market, maybe it's time for Ranchero to come back, too.

Ford reportedly intends to build the Focus-based truck in Mexico. It would launch in Brazil in 2021 and possibly begin deliveries in the U.S. about a year later.

Old 12-14-2018, 12:00 PM

Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,224 Posts
oh no bby what is you doin?
Old 12-14-2018, 01:14 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Thanked 1,357 Times in 845 Posts
Originally Posted by Costco View Post
oh no bby what is you doin?
They are building a baby Bronco too so my guess is this helps offset the development costs.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:22 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Thanked 1,357 Times in 845 Posts
I was thinking too that they are selling a lot of the Transit Connect as commercial vehicles. Perhaps there’s a demand for similar small pickups. I can’t say for sure, of course, but the Transit Connect has a payload of 1500lbs so maybe a small truck would meet a need too.
Old 12-14-2018, 04:39 PM
Ex-OEM King

Thanked 1,526 Times in 1,054 Posts
This is the US, I figured there was zero demand for smaller trucks but there's definitely lots of demand for bigger ones...
Old 12-17-2018, 11:07 AM
Registered Member

I can't see this being a hit here in the US. If anyone wants a 'small' truck, they're most likely to go Taco/Colorado/Ridgeline, or soon to be Ranger.
But, who knows.