Ford: Focus News

Old 08-28-2014, 03:04 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by Costco
Yeah, you get amazing mileage in the ST, geez.

To each his own! I've felt the same as you do about the Evo and STI in the past. But they are very technologically advanced models... I have driven and been in standard Imprezas and Lancers and it is drastically different. They are on a very different level performance-wise.

You can almost say the same thing about the Mustang (V6 vs. GT500) or the Camaro (V6 vs. Z/28). Except those two go from around $20k to ~$70k. I know it's just hyperbole, but you're getting a whole lot more than a better transmission.
I think the Z/28 is really the only car of that group where you can say it was worth the money. The rest just added a bigger engine and charged 3x the price of the base model.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:14 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,810 Likes on 3,840 Posts
I would be VERY surprised if the RS starts below $29k. I could see it having a BBK standard, among other things. Recaros standard too. The performance package for a Mustang GT is over $2k, and it includes a BBK. Without it the GT barely starts at under $30k. Just don't see it happening, though I would love it if it does.

They say the Focus RS will have it's own AWD system with torque vectoring, not shared with any other model.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/futur...e-insider-info
I sure hope it has an awesome AWD system, that would be the nail in the coffin for my wallet. Anyway this is the key part that I took away that would drop the price:

The new system will employ torque vectoring front and rear to aid handling, and after debuting in the Focus RS it will trickle down to other applications.
Even if you take the performance pack 4 cylinder Mustang at $28k and add in a couple grand for the AWD system, you still end up starting at right around $30k...

Recaro seats are nothing new, the ST has them and it's quite cheap for what you get. I doubt the interior and infotainment will be all that different from the ST, the biggest changes being in the go fast bits of the car.

Yeah, you get amazing mileage in the ST, geez.

To each his own! I've felt the same as you do about the Evo and STI in the past. But they are very technologically advanced models... I have driven and been in standard Imprezas and Lancers and it is drastically different. They are on a very different level performance-wise.

You can almost say the same thing about the Mustang (V6 vs. GT500) or the Camaro (V6 vs. Z/28). Except those two go from around $20k to ~$70k. I know it's just hyperbole, but you're getting a whole lot more than a better transmission.
Yes, drastically different to drive but the interior is the same crap. If I'm paying $40k for a car, I want the interior to be at least halfway decent.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:05 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by SamDoe1
I sure hope it has an awesome AWD system, that would be the nail in the coffin for my wallet. Anyway this is the key part that I took away that would drop the price:

Even if you take the performance pack 4 cylinder Mustang at $28k and add in a couple grand for the AWD system, you still end up starting at right around $30k...

Recaro seats are nothing new, the ST has them and it's quite cheap for what you get. I doubt the interior and infotainment will be all that different from the ST, the biggest changes being in the go fast bits of the car.
I built a Focus ST with the ST3 package and in my area, it's $27k. That includes Recaro seats.

For reference, a 2014 TL starts at $36k. An SH-AWD (torque vectoring AWD, slightly larger engine) is at $39.6k.

I am really hoping it will be less. As consumers, it would only benefit us. But at $31k it's still about $3k less than a Golf R to start. Again, I see $29k as not being out of the question, but on the very low end...
Old 08-28-2014, 05:19 PM
Ex-OEM King

I built a Focus ST with the ST3 package and in my area, it's $27k. That includes Recaro seats.

For reference, a 2014 TL starts at $36k. An SH-AWD (torque vectoring AWD, slightly larger engine) is at $39.6k.

I am really hoping it will be less. As consumers, it would only benefit us. But at $31k it's still about $3k less than a Golf R to start. Again, I see $29k as not being out of the question, but on the very low end...
They'd be silly to not try and undercut the Golf R... In any case, the ST fully loaded ST3 with sunroof sells for ~$25500 around here (I almost bought one before my TL).

I would agree that a starting price of around $30k is likely but they may sell it fully loaded just for the sake of a smaller production run.

On another note, does anyone know how it works to put a deposit down on a car that hasn't been released yet? Say...a Focus RS for example?

Seriously though, just wondering how that works for future reference. Is it a nonrefundable deposit? I wouldn't want to put money down on a car, find out it sucks or isn't for me, and then be out my deposit.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:24 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
They'd be silly to not try and undercut the Golf R... In any case, the ST fully loaded ST3 with sunroof sells for ~$25500 around here (I almost bought one before my TL).

I would agree that a starting price of around $30k is likely but they may sell it fully loaded just for the sake of a smaller production run.

On another note, does anyone know how it works to put a deposit down on a car that hasn't been released yet? Say...a Focus RS for example?

Seriously though, just wondering how that works for future reference. Is it a nonrefundable deposit? I wouldn't want to put money down on a car, find out it sucks or isn't for me, and then be out my deposit.
There is a difference between a car that is not released yet and a car that is not confirmed yet.

i don't know about others but for BMW, you can get your $500 deposit back at any time, EVEN on a special order cars that is custom built for you. Once the car arrives at the dealer, and you look at the car and say fuck this... you can get your $500 deposit back.

When a car is not even confirmed, the dealership will laugh at your deposit.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 08-28-2014 at 05:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RPhilMan1 (08-29-2014)
Old 08-28-2014, 08:52 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

My guess is $32-34K.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:17 PM
Race Director

Received 596 Likes on 430 Posts
I'd love to see a test with the new RS, Golf R, STI, and MS3 once all of them are out

I usually hang onto my cars for less than three years, so I should be in the market with the '16 models
Old 08-29-2014, 08:54 AM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
There is a difference between a car that is not released yet and a car that is not confirmed yet.

i don't know about others but for BMW, you can get your $500 deposit back at any time, EVEN on a special order cars that is custom built for you. Once the car arrives at the dealer, and you look at the car and say fuck this... you can get your $500 deposit back.

When a car is not even confirmed, the dealership will laugh at your deposit.
I know this haha. I wasn't planning on walking into a Ford dealer tomorrow and put a deposit down on a car that doesn't exist yet but there were people putting orders in on a 2015 Mustang back in April when books weren't even open yet.

Just curious given the limited quantities that once it gets announced, going into a dealer and putting a deposit down wouldn't be a bad idea if you want one. Just would like to be able to back out in the event I don't like it. I don't think they'd have a problem selling it anyway though.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:04 AM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,454 Likes on 923 Posts
I don't think they'd have a problem selling it anyway though.
Exactly. I backed out of two deposits and was able to easily get them both back.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:48 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by crazyasiantl
I'd love to see a test with the new RS, Golf R, STI, and MS3 once all of them are out

I usually hang onto my cars for less than three years, so I should be in the market with the '16 models
Damn... talk about decisions. I'd take any one of the four. Rumors are that the next MS3 will be AWD too.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:35 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

The new Mk7 R is probably the best car in the world for the money. We'll have to see how it does after it gets some years and miles on them but straight off the factory line it's being lauded as an exceptional accomplishment by VW.

So, with that said, Ford and Mazda have some serious work to do.

The Subaru STI is also a very good driver's car that cannot compare to the Golf R overall. And in most places is more expensive.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:30 PM
Ex-OEM King

More information released, starting to get excited about this. Given the level of testing the cars are going through it's looking like it's closer to production than previously though. I bet we see this car in the auto show circuit very soon and launch next fall.

Rumors about the forthcoming Ford Focus RS are flourishing into what sounds like a very impressive new hot hatch. The latest scuttlebutt gives the first indication about when we might see a few of these fast Focuses on roads here in the US.

Unnamed insiders reportedly confirmed to The Truth About Cars that Ford plans to launch the Focus RS in the US in 2016. However, getting one might not be so easy – the boosted powertrain means the car would likely need to be imported from Europe. That's likely going to keep the total number available in the US rather low. The sources estimate a price tag that's a bit more expensive than the top Focus ST3, which starts around $28,500, plus $825 destination.

It seems that a pretty potent package comes for all of that cash, though. The Focus RS reportedly uses a 2.3-liter turbocharged four-cylinder making between 325 and 350 horsepower, with a torque-vectoring all-wheel drive system to get that muscle to the road. The test mules also wear more aggressive front and rear fascias, dual exhaust tips, larger brakes and sticky tires. It sounds like a great formula on top of the already enjoyable Focus ST.

These latest reports certainly corroborate the Focus RS' chances in the US. Autoblog asked Ford for an official statement about the hatch's chances in the US, but company spokesperson Monique Brentley told us, "We don't speculate on future products." However, things have looked good for the RS since a prototype was spotted testing here months ago. Since then, others have been photographed driving at the Nürburgring.
US Ford Focus RS to be imported from Europe - Autoblog

Ford's current hot hatch siblings the Fiesta ST and Focus ST are already two pretty great entries into the segment, but there's always a desire for a little more. Thankfully, it looks like the Blue Oval is ready to satiate that need because it's continuing to test the even more powerful Focus RS around Europe. According to our spy shooters, these shots come from near the Nürburgring.

As with previous photos, Ford engineers continue to heavily camouflage the front end of the RS prototypes, but there's a big difference here. Unlike earlier ones, this example appears to have a closer-to-production-ready front bumper rather than just a horizontal strip for the license plate. That may point to development getting somewhat closer to wrapping up. Although, this one lacks the larger rear wing from prior testers, and the exhaust also appears to be a work in progress with the rear diffuser covered in mesh in these latest shots.

The RS is rumored to be using the 2.3-liter turbocharged four-cylinder from the 2015 Mustang, but power is reportedly turned up from 310 horsepower in the 'Stang to somewhere between 325 hp and 350 hp for the Focus. Routing all that just through the front wheels could be a recipe for serious torque steer, and all-wheel drive is potentially being used for better traction.

Unfortunately, no release date is known for the RS yet, but we keep seeing evolution in the test mules. Indications point to it eventually going on sale for the US market, too. Until then, see what you think of these latest spy shots in the gallery.
Ford Focus RS ready to make our hot hatch dreams real - Autoblog
Old 12-11-2014, 11:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,626 Likes on 13,878 Posts
Post RS Confirmed for North America

From here: 2016 Ford Focus RS Confirmed For U.S. ? Details To Follow

If you’re a fan of hot hatches, you’ve long been jealous of the hardware Europeans get to play with, while we in America are left looking at their anemic base counterparts. But soon, that will change on at least one account: the Ford Focus RS is coming to America.

Beyond that, no details are known. It’s not even clear if we’ll get the same RS as sold in Europe or some revised/American-only version bearing the same name. All we know is that Mark Fields confirmed the next-gen car’s global sale today at an event in Detroit.

Of course, we have spy shots of the car in development, and ideas about what might live under its more raucous skin, too.

Power could come from a hot version of the 2015 Mustang’s 2.3-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder engine, with output up to about 330 horsepower. A six-speed manual gearbox is expected, and all-wheel drive could also get the nod over the previous Focus RS’s RevoKnuckle/Quaife front-drive-only setup.

So when might we see this might America-bound Focus RS? In auto show form, perhaps as early as the 2015 Detroit Auto Show next month—and on the street perhaps by mid-to-late summer of 2015.

Stay tuned for more on this story as it develops.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:14 AM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

FWD wouldn't really make sense. There's already the Focus ST for that, and the smaller Fiesta ST.

I really hope it will be AWD. Then I will seriously consider it.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:26 PM
Ex-OEM King

If AWD, I will buy. If FWD, I will buy ST.

If this gets released at the Detroit auto show with AWD, my comment of calling dealers to put down a deposit still stands. I can't think of a better replacement for my TL.
Old 12-13-2014, 11:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
And just one more car Honda will be behind.
Old 12-13-2014, 02:10 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
of course this will be AWD..
Old 01-09-2015, 01:21 PM
Some dude

Received 347 Likes on 203 Posts
Found this render.

Name:  focus_zps10abfa36.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  84.7 KB
RPhilMan1 (01-12-2015)
Old 01-09-2015, 01:27 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally Posted by MeehowsBRZ
Found this render.

That would be quite a car and I can't wait to see it compared to the Golf R.
Old 01-13-2015, 02:39 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Ford included the new RS in Liquid Blue for their photo of the GT350R, GT, and new Lightning. Anyone find an official photo yet?
Old 01-13-2015, 10:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by charliemike
Ford included the new RS in Liquid Blue for their photo of the GT350R, GT, and new Lightning. Anyone find an official photo yet?
This maybe?
RPhilMan1 (01-14-2015)
Old 01-14-2015, 05:52 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Yeah, that is the one I saw. Was curious if there were others. Looks good from a Nike away
Old 01-14-2015, 08:36 AM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

I love that Liquid Blue, more so than Performance Blue, which has too much purple.

But what a lineup.

I have a strong feeling I'm going to end up in an RS when it comes out.

EDIT: Found a bigger one.

Wait, isn't that just the new 2015 ST? It looks like the Fiesta ST and Focus ST. No RS in photo.

https://social.ford.com/content/ford...73-performance

Originally Posted by Ford Social
It’s no secret that there has been a huge transformation in Ford vehicles over the past decade or so, with an emphasis on technology, innovation and fuel efficiency. Performance is another part of that transformation that is moving to center stage. The facts tell the story: Ford is bringing more than 12 new performance vehicles from now through 2020!

That includes the all-new Ford GT shown for the first time at the 2015 North American International Auto Show (NAIAS). Click here to learn more about this new model. The Ford Focus RS will be among these new models, and they will join the existing lineup of Fiesta ST, Focus ST, Shelby GT350® Mustang and F-150 Raptor.

Ford remains committed to innovation through performance,” said Raj Nair, Ford group vice president, Global Product Development. “Our new global Ford Performance team ties together racing, performance vehicles and parts. It will allow us to more quickly introduce products and accessories that meet the needs of customers around the world on-road and on the track.”

Consider the ST line, where younger drivers are looking to the Focus ST and Fiesta ST for performance vehicles that meet their lifestyle. These rides are a real hit with Millennials, who are buying ST models at a rate that’s double than that of the rest of the Ford lineup.

“EcoBoost® is a strong example of how we are migrating technology and engineering across our lineup, ensuring our vehicles are fun to drive,” said Nair. “From our most nimble Fiesta to our hard working full-size pickups and racing vehicles, our lineup benefits from the innovations we deliver at the track and at the limit.”

In addition to the ST line, the Ford F-150 Raptor has been climbing rocks as well as the sales charts since its debut in 2009. So much so, that Raptor production has increased from three-per-hour to five-per-hour to meet the growing demand.

Coming soon to the stable of Ford performance vehicles is the recently unveiled 2015 Shelby GT350 Mustang. This power-soaked car features a 500-horsepower naturally aspirated 5.2-liter V8. The Shelby GT350 also includes a new frontend that utilizes Ford Racing innovations to improve downforce in the car and cooling.

“Ford still races for the same reasons Henry Ford did in 1901 – to prove out our products and technologies against the very best in the world,” said Nair. “The Ford Performance team will continue to pursue performance innovation, ensuring we can deliver even more coveted performance.”

You can read more about these Ford performance models at media.ford.com.

Pre-production vehicles shown.

Coming in 2015 and 2016.

See ford.com for information.

Last edited by RPhilMan1; 01-14-2015 at 08:42 AM.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:46 AM

Received 5,281 Likes on 3,620 Posts
Originally Posted by RPhilMan1
Wait, isn't that just the new 2015 ST? It looks like the Fiesta ST and Focus ST. No RS in photo.
Looks that way to me, though the new FoST looks quite mean.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:11 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

You're right. That's what it is ... I thought it was the RS and regular Focus ST.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:40 PM
Ex-OEM King

Yep, I don't think Ford would make such a rookie mistake. The new FoST looks pretty good. IMO it looks way better than the current gen. Any word on when this thing launches, the ST that is, in the US?

Liquid blue is a drool worthy color. Really hope they end up releasing it to production.

Originally Posted by charliemike
You're right. That's what it is ... I thought it was the RS and regular Focus ST.
The best giveaway is the color of the badge is red on the ST and blue on the RS.
charliemike (01-15-2015)
Old 01-21-2015, 09:18 AM
Some dude

The following 3 users liked this post by MeehowsBRZ:
RPhilMan1 (01-22-2015), SamDoe1 (01-21-2015), Yumcha (01-21-2015)
Old 01-21-2015, 11:36 AM
Ex-OEM King

^ Awesome. Ken Block was the one driving the white car.

Can't wait till Feb 3rd. Checkbook ready.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 595 Likes on 408 Posts
Ford is kicking ass
Old 01-21-2015, 11:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 02-02-2015, 04:28 PM
VR1
Itz JDM y0!

Received 443 Likes on 290 Posts
Announcement comming early tomorrow morning.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:44 PM
Some dude

Ken (Block) has some cool teaser pics on his Instagram account.

Instagram
Old 02-02-2015, 09:45 PM
Race Director

2016 Ford Focus RS: This Is It
Old 02-02-2015, 09:58 PM
VR1
Itz JDM y0!

Looks good. Well done Ford.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by VR1
Looks good. Well done Ford.
Indeed.

00TL-P3.2 (02-03-2015)
Old 02-03-2015, 07:49 AM
Race Director

2016 Ford Focus RS: This Is Your 320-HP, AWD Monster Hatch From Ford

good god :fap:
Old 02-03-2015, 08:42 AM
VR1
Itz JDM y0!

R&T article:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...ing-to-the-us/

(I can't stand Jalopnik's poorly written nonsense)
Old 02-03-2015, 09:46 AM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Well, there goes my money. AWD - I'm getting it.

00TL-P3.2 (02-03-2015)
Old 02-03-2015, 10:11 AM
Ex-OEM King

Me too. Calling dealers this weekend to put down deposit.

I originally wanted a Mustang GT but I can drive this car year round and with a FR tune, down pipe, and exhaust I can have as much HP as the GT while having four doors, a useful trunk, decent gas mileage, and a car I can drive year round. Oh and keep the factory warranty.

RPhilMan1 (02-04-2015)
Old 02-03-2015, 10:17 AM
Some dude

Give me a ride in it when you do!
RPhilMan1 (02-04-2015)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ford: Focus News