Ford: Explorer News

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 11:15 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Yeah, but the 4 cylinder will cost MORE than the V6 (with 290 hp). Still can't wrap my mind around that one....
Old 07-26-2010, 11:33 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
I'm really liking it, definitely enjoy this Ford family resemblance. SUV doesn't fit my needs at all, but if I were in the market for one, the Explorer looks nice. Probably would take the V6 though, thanks...

Ecoboost
Old 07-27-2010, 07:57 AM
Corn-Fed Mule

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MyCarIsntInMyWifesName
I could be wrong, but the Traverse's interior is a little on the cheap side, and though styling is subjective, it must be said that the Explorer looks much more sophisticated and has much more detailing. We'll see, though, because in truth the Flex is more like Ford's answer to the Traverse.
True, the Traverse's interior doesn't compare to the Explorer's, but I think it'll improve with any refreshes planned in the future. I doubt it'll match the awesomeness of the MY Touch features of the Explorer and Edge, though. I like the nice, clean design of the Traverse and think that will wear well over time. Gimme an Edge Sport, though...
Old 07-27-2010, 08:54 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
Acura should hire some Ford designers. That Explorer looks great.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:44 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So Ford is a little like an American Volkswagen, you guys think? Like Volkswagen, they are a mainstream brand but are "able" to sell vehicles at a premium as well that might compare with some upscale vehicles. The two that obviously come to mind immediately are the Explorer Limited and SHO.

I'd love to see this concept applied to the next Fusion.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:54 AM
That was uncalled for...

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts
So Ford is a little like an American Volkswagen, you guys think? Like Volkswagen, they are a mainstream brand but are "able" to sell vehicles at a premium as well that might compare with some upscale vehicles. The two that obviously come to mind immediately are the Explorer Limited and SHO.

There's also the Edge Sport and the Ecoboost Flex, all which have $50k+ price tags (in Canada at least)
Old 07-27-2010, 11:00 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by S A CHO
There's also the Edge Sport and the Ecoboost Flex, all which have $50k+ price tags (in Canada at least)
That's true. The Edge can push well into the 40s and the Flex into the 50s. I forgot about that.

And it's all affecting Lincoln....
Old 07-27-2010, 09:56 PM

Wow. I just talked to my friend about this a day or two ago, and I specifically used Volkswagen as a comparison to Ford. Off-topic, but I brought it up after I sat in a new Taurus SHO at the Garlic Festival... nice car! The plastics were a little cheaper looking than expected (I definitely notice things like that, but don't necessarily care) in a car than starts at a little under $40k.

VW has the Touareg (I think I spell it differently each time) which has an available TDI V6 and can easily go over $50k. Also consider the discontinued Phaeton which was quite expensive, though supposedly was a great car.... though I don't think I knew anyone who had one, or knew someone who knew someone who had one for that matter.

I can't see the Explorer, especially in turbo 4-cyl form being the range topper. Did Ford not learn a lesson from Acura and the RDX? Maybe if it put out the same amount/more power as the V6 and offered better real world fuel economy. As it stands, I doubt it will get better MPGs... and it definitely doesn't have more power under the hood.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:30 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Mourning Would
VW has the Touareg (I think I spell it differently each time) which has an available TDI V6 and can easily go over $50k. Also consider the discontinued Phaeton which was quite expensive, though supposedly was a great car.... though I don't think I knew anyone who had one, or knew someone who knew someone who had one for that matter.
I hadn't compared it to the Touareg, but now that you mention the Explorer Limited definately would compare. The Ford should be a good bit roomier and more advanced than even the new 2011 Touareg. The 4.4L diesel that Ford designed for the F-150 would've been a nice option here, as would the EcoBoost V6.

The CC and Taurus are both more upscale than the regular midsize cars, though hardly competitors.

Originally Posted by Mourning Would
I can't see the Explorer, especially in turbo 4-cyl form being the range topper. Did Ford not learn a lesson from Acura and the RDX? Maybe if it put out the same amount/more power as the V6 and offered better real world fuel economy. As it stands, I doubt it will get better MPGs... and it definitely doesn't have more power under the hood.
Completely agree. Personally I think the diesel V8 and EcoBoost V6 would've been nice additions rather than the I4 turbo.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 101 Posts
One possible reason for the higher priced 4-banger is perhaps it's Ford saying :tonguefaw to the Federal CAFE standards (avg 34.1 mpg by 2016). They'll comply, but they're flowing the costs to the consumers not in the mainstream offering (V6), but in the offering they were forced to build per the new CAFE standards.

The benefit is that they can sell their V6 Explorers as planned and any I-4 sales are basically gravy. If it sells, great, if not, they can say to the feds that the products are there, but the consumers are not buying
Old 07-28-2010, 01:36 PM
That was uncalled for...

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts
I think this is the reasoning behind the more expensive four cylinder; Ford thinks since people have been buying Chevy Tahoe and Escalade Hybrids for insane amounts of money, people will pay a premium to get the more fuel effecient model.

I'm expecting Ford's 4 cylinder to get better mileage than GM's hybrid SUV's. For a consumer looking to get an SUV that gets decent gas mileage they will see GM's Hybrids (complicated and expensive electronics, unproven reliability, lower than expected fuel savings) and they'll see Ford's traditional 4 cylinder motor. No hybrid system to go wrong and similar if not better gas mileage than the competition.

Ford's happy, they're going to sell a more expensive vehicle with a smaller motor, and the consumer is happy, they have the big SUV that get's decent gas mileage without a Hybrid system.

The more and more I think about it, I think it was a good move pricing it higher....
Old 07-28-2010, 02:16 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Man I am really liking this Ford... they have finally styled it nicely. It is like the older brother to Ford Flex.

Good job Ford... I may just buy one if the price is right... MDX is still a bit expensive for me.. this would be a good alternative.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:19 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by Type34
One possible reason for the higher priced 4-banger is perhaps it's Ford saying :tonguefaw to the Federal CAFE standards (avg 34.1 mpg by 2016). They'll comply, but they're flowing the costs to the consumers not in the mainstream offering (V6), but in the offering they were forced to build per the new CAFE standards.

The benefit is that they can sell their V6 Explorers as planned and any I-4 sales are basically gravy. If it sells, great, if not, they can say to the feds that the products are there, but the consumers are not buying
Sounds about right.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:08 PM
Backs the Pack

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Used to have a 1998 Eddie Bauer. Didn't really care for the Explorer design after 2002, but this new one is pretty nice.

Originally Posted by Crazy Acura
I should have bought Ford stock when it was $2.16 a share.
Got in at $3 , but only bought 100 shares .
Old 07-28-2010, 08:45 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
more pics

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...allery?src=rss
Old 07-28-2010, 08:51 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
I think I see LED rear lights in that one pic! Ford ain't holding back no punches
Old 07-28-2010, 11:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by phile
Materials are looking impressive...the interior lighting looks pretty sweet too...go Ford

Old 07-29-2010, 12:15 AM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
I like the new stereo interface. It looks like something Sony would actually design (sort of PS3-like)...
Old 10-20-2017, 08:48 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
These spy shots were taken in Independence, Colorado, a few weeks ago by eagle-eyed Autoweek reader Dick K. It looks to be the next Ford Explorer, judging by the shape, size and grille. However, the shooter talked to one of the drivers who said it was a diesel, which is very intriguing (assuming the driver wasn't lying). Could Ford be prepping a crossover that takes advantage of the F-150's new 3.0-liter diesel engine?

Ford's popular three-row Explorer has been on its current platform since 2012, so it's plausible a complete redesign would be in the testing phases right now. These shots look more like a facelift, but keep in mind prototypes would use existing stock parts for testing -- that honeycomb grille, which looks plucked from the police-version Explorer, for example, and the rims, which looks to be a set of stock rollers made for test vehicles. There is a chance it's a new Lincoln three-row vehicle too, considering the current Flex-based MKT should have been put out to pasture years ago.

Read more: Spy shots: Is this a Ford Explorer diesel testing in Colorado?
Old 10-20-2017, 08:50 AM
Race Director

Old 10-20-2017, 08:50 AM
Race Director

Old 10-20-2017, 10:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Hopefully they dont screw it up, i love my 13 and would definitely upgrade to another if its done right.
Old 08-22-2018, 03:58 PM

Received 5,293 Likes on 3,627 Posts
https://jalopnik.com/this-is-the-202...-to-1828528782

I suppose this, uh, is the new car face that we’ll all have to learn to recognize in our review mirrors. It looks very goofy and not menacing. But get familiar with it, because you’re looking at the new 2020 Ford Explorer.

Caught testing in Dearborn, Michigan, the mule is wearing some screaming police livery, as well as the typical camo. As previously reported, all police variants will be all-wheel drive and have engine options that include a 3.3-liter V6, 3.3-liter V6 hybrid and a 3.0-liter V6 EcoBoost.

But for us consumers, there will be a rear-wheel drive configuration available. Our engine options will include all of the police ones and also the 2.3-liter EcoBoost. Plus, there will be an ST version, too, because nothing is sacred.

The top-trim Explorer will likely have the same 400-horsepower and 400 lb-ft of torque figures found in the Lincoln MKZ and the Continental.

It looks decidedly more truck-ish than the previous generation, which was criticized for being too crossover-y. Sure, man. I’m behind whatever you can do to make cars look less like refrigerators on wheels. Even though this still looks like a refrigerator on wheels.

Old 12-05-2018, 11:29 AM

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/12/04/...terior-photos/

Here's a rare occurrence: One of our spy photographers just captured the totally redesigned 2020 Ford Explorer interior without any camouflage. We have a full look at the new interior design, and man is it different.

Not only is it a complete stylistic departure from the current Explorer, it signals a new direction for Ford interiors in general. The old upright center stack is gone, replaced by a more horizontal orientation with the centerpiece being a sizable screen splitting the two center air vents. The design is much less curvy everywhere around the interior, and it looks like there's much more storage space too. The adoption of Ford's rotary gear selector probably helped in that endeavor.

It's tough to be 100 percent sure, but the instrument cluster appears to be entirely digital. Sync 3 navigation looks to be playing on the big screen, and it looks like an updated version of the system. From the navigation, it looks like the driver of the vehicle was only a half mile away from Ford's New Model Programs Development Center.

As a whole, we like this new design for the 2020 Explorer interior. It looks much cleaner and airier, which would be good as the current Explorer's cabin design contributes to it being a bit cumbersome to drive, especially in tight places, and feeling even larger than it really is.

Exterior spy shots of the 2020 Ford Explorer surfaced a short time ago, but now we get another look at the new styling. Whereas that last Explorer seemed to be of a lower or mid-grade trim, this one's grille and Platinum badge (plus the interior's wood trim and brown leather) would suggest it's a range-topping model. The quad exhaust poking out the rear makes us think this could have a larger displacement EcoBoost engine, though we'd wonder if Ford would want to step on the Lincoln Aviator's toes by offering the same 400-hp 3.0-liter V6. Note that the Expedition is not available with the Navigator's engine.

In any event, we'll likely know a lot more very soon as next month's Detroit auto show seems like a pretty good place to shed what little camouflage remains.

Old 12-05-2018, 02:54 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,454 Likes on 923 Posts
I don't like the shape of the headlights, but the LEDs look cool.

Interior does look nice. Entire dash and console look leather-wrapped with no hard plastic.

I laughed at the fact that the driver put his cellphone in the cupholders instead of what looks like a cubby above that (and also one below the nav screen perhaps).

Also, if this was taken in Michigan in December, why does the driver have the AC on?!
Old 01-10-2019, 10:11 AM

https://www.netcarshow.com/ford/2020-explorer/

Ford introduced its all-new 2020 Explorer - a complete redesign of America's all-time best-selling SUV - that now features the broadest model lineup ever, more power and space, and smart new technologies to help tackle life's adventures.

Ford Explorer is now more capable, comfortable, sportier and roomier in all three rows thanks to Ford's flexible new rear-wheel-drive architecture. The strengths of the all-new Ford Explorer were showcased at a special reveal event for employees, fans, dealers, suppliers, government officials and media today at Ford Field in Detroit, where Ford brought to life how it can help American families get the most out of their road trips. The all-new SUV arrives in summer 2019.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:12 AM

Old 01-10-2019, 10:12 AM

Old 01-10-2019, 10:17 AM

I actually don't mind the "glued on iPad" look, and it's nice that they left HVAC controls separate as well as the volume knob (Honda ) While the display is integrated nicely, man it looks even worse in portrait orientation. Instantly draws your eyes to it.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:30 AM

I've gotten used to the 'iPad' in my C, but this super tall version seems odd.
The new Ram has similar, but it's integrated into the dash, rather than towering over it.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:15 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,656 Likes on 2,490 Posts
The first interior shot looks fine. The second though I agree is really weird the way it sticks out above the dash as a whole.

Not liking the new exterior.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:28 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,454 Likes on 923 Posts
Holy fucking iPad, Batman. I also hate how it sticks up so much higher than the dash. No, the driver is not going to be distracted at all with that huge screen plus their phone in their hand...

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
My dad had both the first and second generation Explorers. The 1G was green and the 2G was a midnight blue. We would load that thing up with baseball equipment and blast away to the game. I'll never forget the sound of the V8. I had some good times in those Explorers and I remember it being reliable, too. But after that I thought they turned real ugly. And I must say that I still think the previous gen Explorer is the best looking of all. The proportions are right, the grille is perfect, and the headlights look great. I think the new one is overdone and just seems off. But we'll see if my opinion changes over time.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:21 PM

The seats in the previous gen Explorer and even in the current Fusion for that matter are comfy AF. Great rental/road trip vehicles. Dat Ecoboost...

I've gotten used to the 'iPad' in my C, but this super tall version seems odd.
The new Ram has similar, but it's integrated into the dash, rather than towering over it.
I actually like the "iPad" look, to be more specific - and yes it looks good in MB models. I saw a new Q5 with it, looks like poo. Seems intuitive, as it's higher up and in your line of sight. I got used to it very quickly. It just needs to be integrated well, with a large but not obtrusive size/shape (Model S ), good image quality, small bezels.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:29 AM

I think it's the portrait orientation vs the landscape orientation that seems much more common (until recently).
Also, the iPad tower is only on the Platinum trim. Haven't seen any photos of the lower trims interior yet.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:31 AM

https://jalopnik.com/2020-ford-explo...ion-1831624020

The 2020 Ford Explorer is going to be endowed with two EcoBoost turbo engine options, autonomous parking capabilities, an ST performance variant and an infotainment system run off what looks like a gigantic portrait oriented tablet stuck to the dashboard. Interestingly, the SUV is also back to being rear-wheel drive based.

The trend of car infotainment screens looking more and more like phones is clearly coming close to a critical mass, as you can see by the 10.1-inch display tacked onto the Platinum trim’s dashboard here. The gauge pod is all-digital, too. (Note the the giant touchscreen is only in that top Platinum trim.)

The new Explorer naturally has a long options list of driver assistance features, but what Ford is calling “Active Park Assist 2.0” is probably the most interesting. This system apparently allows for essentially autonomous parking, though I noticed Ford appeared to avoid using the A-word and instead described this as “hands-free and foot-free parking.”

For those who prefer to keep their hands and feet busy while will probably appreciate better handling now that the Explorer is rear-wheel drive based again and has an advanced optional traction control system.

Even in its early square shaped iterations, the Explorer has always been a family car first and an off-roader second. Recently, a very distant second. But it appears that Ford is attempting to make this vehicle a little more adventurous with a new Terrain Management System that includes modes for “trail,” “deep snow and sand,” “slippery” and “sport.” that system will also include modes for “tow/haul,” “eco” and “normal” driving.

As for the ST performance trim, which joins the Edge ST to form Ford’s go-fast SUV team, we don’t really have any details yet beyond the fact that it will exist.

Same goes for the announced Limited Hybrid, though I would guess the specs might be similar to the hybrid police car version we just heard about. Besides those two trims the 2020 Explorer lineup will also include a base, XLT, Limited and fancy Platinum.

Two turbocharged engine options have been announced: a 3.0-liter V6 “projected to produce” as much as 365 horsepower and 380 lb-ft of torque, and a familiar 2.3-liter four with a claimed output estimate of 300 hp and 310 lb.-ft. of torque. The bigger engine is supposed to be able to pull 5,600 pounds behind the new Explorer, and even the 2.3-liter is going to come with a total capacity rating of 5,300 when you pick the right options. Both come with a 10-speed automatic transmission and rear or optional four-wheel drive.

Inside, the 2020 Explorer will still have three rows of seating and the factory claimed cargo capacity moves up from 81.7 cubic feet with all the rear seats folded down to 87.8.

As for exterior dimensions, Ford says the new SUV is 198.8 inches long with a 119.1-inch wheelbase. That’s just a hair longer than the current one (198.7 inches) but it’s wheels are much further apart; today’s explore has a 112.8-inch wheelbase. Hypothetically, that should improve its stability.

It sounds like the new Explorer is actually a fairly significant departure from the outgoing SUV, but it always sounds like that’s the case the day of the launch presentation. So we will reserve judgment until we drive the thing, but moving to a rear-drive base and adding a lot more technology sounds like a good thing for a large family-hauling vehicle.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:40 PM

https://www.netcarshow.com/ford/2020-explorer_st/

Continuing the expansion of the ST brand, the all-new Ford Explorer ST is the most powerful and fun-to-drive Ford SUV ever.

Engineered by the Ford Performance team, Ford Explorer ST uses a specially tuned 3.0-liter EcoBoost® engine projected to achieve 400 horsepower and 415 lb.-ft. of torque. A top speed target for track drivers stands at 143 mph.

"We designed it to be an ST from the beginning," said Ed Krenz, Ford Performance chief functional engineer. "There's no mistaking its ST DNA. It has a performance feel with sustained performance capability and wears an unmistakably ST appearance. More than anything, it's just a hell of a lot of fun to drive."

Ford Explorer ST delivers an engaging driving experience with a quick-shifting 10-speed automatic transmission and standard four-wheel drive with selectable traction control. Available upgrades include an ST Street Pack and an ST Track Pack. Both have 21-inch aluminum wheels with differing levels of performance brakes and feature larger vented rotors, red-painted brake calipers with stainless steel pistons, and larger brake pads for even better stopping power.

As with Edge ST, Ford Explorer ST offers a Sport mode for an exhilarating ride. When engaged via the selectable drive mode dial in the center console, the steering system tightens for sportier reaction, the gas pedal responds more aggressively, gears hold longer and shift quicker, and an enhanced engine note plays through the cabin.

Visually, Ford Explorer ST stands out courtesy of a black mesh grille insert, liftgate appliqué, lower bodyside details, roof-rack side rails and skid plate elements. "EXPLORER" badging stretches across the front edge of the hood.

Inside, a 12.3-inch all-digital instrument cluster is standard. A flat-bottomed, heated steering wheel embossed with an ST logo and unique floor mats are subtle cues exclusive to Explorer ST. Leather sport bucket seats with micro-perforation, City Silver accent stitching and ST logo complete the sporty feel.

Ford Explorer ST comes standard with a Class III Trailer Tow Package with Cargo Management System and Active Park Assist 2.0 - Ford's new driver-assist parking system that takes control of the steering wheel, gas pedal, brake pedal and gear shifter during parallel and perpendicular parking maneuvers with a simple touch of a button.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:41 PM

Available upgrades include an ST Street Pack and an ST Track Pack.
Why? Is anyone seriously going to 'track' their Explorer?
Old 01-14-2019, 03:15 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,827 Likes on 3,849 Posts
Why? Is anyone seriously going to 'track' their Explorer?
Gotta get to Costco faster than your neighbors somehow... To be fair though, most people buying Porsches and the like won't track their cars either, this is a good way to separate some people from their money.

I have to say though, I was definitely on the fence with this while reading the article until I got to the "unique floor mats"...then I was immediately sold. Provided this thing scores well on the safety ratings, has decent build quality, and doesn't come with the abysmal Recaro seats in the Focus I think it's a high contender for my next car.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:46 PM

No doubt, I think it looks good, just the 'Track Pack' sounds funny on a 3-row family hauler.

I also think they should've kept with the Sport nomenclature on the Edge, Explorer, Fusion, over the ST line. It works on the Fiesta/Focus, but seems out of place on the others, again IMO.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:39 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Love it and would be at the top of my list. But, $60K for an Explorer is too much.

Quick Reply: Ford: Explorer News