FCA US: Sales, Marketing, and Financial News - Page 10 - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Go Back  AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community > Automotive Discussion > Automotive News
Reload this Page >

FCA US: Sales, Marketing, and Financial News

Notices
Automotive News
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FCA US: Sales, Marketing, and Financial News

Old 07-26-2009, 10:32 PM
an asshole from florida

yeah those damn trucks get the worse mileage out of the big three

Edit: just saw the truck thing, nvrmnd
Old 07-27-2009, 02:53 PM
Some dude

I'm possibly thinking of getting a new Wrangler. Its the only Chrysler (besides the Challenger) that would interest me. Good or bad idea?
Old 07-27-2009, 04:25 PM
Senior Moderator

My 00 Quest qualifies as a clunker apparently. However, that fact that it runs well and is paid for is reason enough not to trade it in.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:02 PM
~~~~~~~~~~~

Originally Posted by F23A4 View Post
My 00 Quest qualifies as a clunker apparently. However, that fact that it runs well and is paid for is reason enough not to trade it in.
Thats funny.....my wifes' (which we are getting rid of anyway) 98 Saturn SL2 with 145,000 does not qualify for this program since when it was built it was rated at a combined 25mpg. What a bunch of It runs dang good and could go for another 50k, but why wouldn't they make a mpg limitation or a year limitation. To me it just seems like a ploy to get more people to by new cars and take out loans that they can't afford IMHO.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Apparently, they changed the rules a bit and some people are pissed because they thought their cars qualified, but now they don't.

'Clunker' confusion: EPA changes MPG figures
Some car shoppers find that the fuel economy for their old cars has suddenly improved - making them ineligible for Cash for Clunkers.
By Peter Valdes-Dapena, CNNMoney.com senior writer
July 28, 2009: 11:25 AM ET

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Some car shoppers are finding that their trade-in vehicles, which qualified for a "Cash for Clunkers" rebate last week, don't this week thanks to changes in the EPA's fuel economy ratings.

One CNNMoney.com reader went to the Environmental Protection Agency's fueleconomy.gov Web site on Sat., July 25, to double-check the fuel economy rating for his 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis. When he had visited previously, the car's combined city and highway fuel economy was rated at 18 miles per gallon, making it eligible for the program.

But on Saturday, he found something different: The fuel economy for his car had been raised to 19 mpg -- one mile per gallon over the maximum fuel-efficiency allowed under the Car Allowance Rebate System (aka Cash for Clunkers). As a result, he became ineligible for a trade-in credit worth up to $4,500.

Even though the program's basic requirements have been known since it was created by Congress earlier this year, Cash for Clunkers didn't become official until July 24. So as part of the official launch, the EPA conducted "quality assurance and quality control effort regarding fuel economy calculations on more than 30,000 vehicle model types spanning the past 25 years," according to an e-mail sent by EPA spokesman Dale Kemery.

As a result, eligibility for roughly 100 vehicles was affected, Kemery wrote. However, roughly equal numbers became newly eligible and newly ineligible.

Car shoppers have been posting comments on various Internet message boards, including several at the automotive Web site Edmunds.com, describing their frustration with the changes.

The owners of a 1993 Camry V6 wagon, a 1995 Saab 900S and a 1988 Toyota 4Runner all describe their vehicles becoming suddenly ineligible for the program around the time the rules officially went into effect.

Consumers who believe their eligibility may have been hurt by EPA's changes should contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, which administers Cash For Clunkers.

"They should call our attention to it," said Rae Tyson, spokesman for the NHTSA. He did not promise, however, that the agency would bend the rules.

Cash for Clunkers benefits are retroactive to July 1, so dealers have been able to make deals since that date. But they had to wait until July 24 to file for their reimbursement checks.

Dealers who entered into agreements with customers before July 24, based on a fuel economy figure listed at fueleconomy.gov, have only themselves to blame, said Tyson.

"We made it very clear that they would be holding themselves out to some risk if they consummate a deal before the program officially begins," Tyson said.

Find this article at:
http://money.cnn.com/2009/07/28/auto...itch/index.htm

© 2007 Cable News Network LP, LLP.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:59 PM
Pinky all stinky

^ I feel bad for the people who were affected, though. I would be pissed too.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:39 AM
Registered Member

It doesn't matter much at this point now that the program ran out of money.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:13 AM
Go Big Blue!

Sorry I think this whole plan is stupid. It doesn't accomplish anything but add more debt for all of us who can buy our own cars without a government handout.

The way I see it, people buying these cars fall into one of two categories:

1) You drive a 92 Buick LeSabre for a good reason. You have no stable income and no cash on hand. This money just pushed you into buying a car you really shouldn't buy. God bless them, but a good percentage of these people will have their cars repo'd in 6 months. That doesn't help the car industry one bit in the long term and it certainly doesn't help these people.

2) The other group are people who were going to buy a car anyway very soon and this just accelerated their plans. This accomplished nothing more than flushing the pipeline of buyers for the next 6 months. That doesn't count as stimulating sales.

Bottom line; the car industry is going to be no better off for this "stimulus" and all we get for it is more debt. Uggh! I need a drink.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:40 AM
registered pw

doesn't chrysler always offer rebates of $4500?
Old 08-03-2009, 12:06 AM
Registered Member

my friend got a Ford Edge fully loaded 2009 about year ago for 25k brand new... car worth like 40k +
Old 08-03-2009, 12:36 PM
Some dude

Picked up a '09 Accord EX coupe on saturday.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Thanked 14,467 Times in 8,963 Posts
Chrysler: Aiming To Rise A "Notch Above Cadillac"

From Motor Authority...

We've all been eagerly awaiting the change at Chrysler that's certain to come with Fiat taking the helm, and with a number of Alfa Romeo and Fiat models already in the pipeline, the company is now talking brand strategy. And that's what has Chrysler's Peter Fong talking about surpassing Lincoln and Cadillac.

Pushing the Chrysler brands farther apart, with larger price and feature gaps to distinguish the Dodge from Chrysler means Dodge will be eying sportier traits, while Chrysler vehicles will move further upscale in the luxury arena. But Chrysler isn't aiming just to take on Cadillac and Lincoln--it wants to beat them.

That means pushing the Chrysler brand, "a notch above Lincoln, a notch above Cadillac," says Peter Fong, president and CEO of the brand. That will necessitate a big move up-market as Cadillac is already ahead and is progressing quickly to improve its own products and luxury status with cars like the SRX, CTS sedan, coupe and wagon and the upcoming XTS flagship.

How, exactly, Chrysler plans to do that has not been revealed. The full product plan to back up this new strategy is scheduled for release in November. Though the 200C electric vehicle revealed at this year's Detroit Auto Show isn't headed to production, it is a preview of the upcoming design language for the brand revival, so expect any new products to share some hints borrowed from that vehicle, including possible Chrysler-branded Alfa and Fiat variants.

Dodge will move further from Chrysler by focusing on offering sporty vehicles, emphasizing performance while balancing that against the new fuel economy and emissions mandates. Jeep will remain largely unchanged, though its recent focus on the more car-like smaller segments with vehicles like the Compass and Patriot will grow.
http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1...above-cadillac
Old 09-22-2009, 01:37 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Thanked 1,876 Times in 1,296 Posts
I bet that Chrysler moves up-market before Acura arrives at Tier-1.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:08 PM
Registered Member

I bet that Chrysler will cease to exist before Acura arrives at Tier-1.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:21 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

The Dodge news is better than the Chrysler news.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:46 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Thanked 1,357 Times in 845 Posts
This is wishful thinking from a group with no ideas.

They completely fucked their chances with an endless supply of Mercedes bits to pick from ...

They don't build anything I'd want even if I had to downsize.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:50 PM
The Third Ball

Thanked 3,715 Times in 1,974 Posts
Originally Posted by charliemike View Post
This is wishful thinking from a group with no ideas.

They completely fucked their chances with an endless supply of Mercedes bits to pick from ...
That is diamlers fault, who did chrysler no favors during their reign.

And I think the brand has ideas as well as potential.

How does a group with no ideas come out with the Challenger? Ever been in one? Feels much better built and put together than my old CL ever did.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:52 PM
Registered Member

To surpass both Cadillac and Lincoln they must first revamp their dealer network. My wife owns a Chrysler and I know I will not be buying another product until they address their dealer network. Bad experience at a local dealer, where the tech and I came very close to getting into a fight in front of the service manager. I will pass.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:57 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by Sarlacc View Post
That is diamlers fault, who did chrysler no favors during their reign.

And I think the brand has ideas as well as potential.

How does a group with no ideas come out with the Challenger? Ever been in one? Feels much better built and put together than my old CL ever did.
Fiat is going to turn this GIANT mess around...and make no doubt about it, it's a mess. Fiat has the ability to do this, and the product to get into the showrooms.

Alfa-Chryslers
Old 09-22-2009, 03:35 PM
Senior Moderator

I'll believe it when I see it. They have a loooooooong way to go.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:46 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX View Post
I'll believe it when I see it. They have a loooooooong way to go.
So did Kia and Hyundai at one point.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:26 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Thanked 1,357 Times in 845 Posts
Yeah and at Hyundai in Korea they'll just shame you into jumping out a window if you fuck up (or whatever).

At Chrysler you'll get promoted
Old 09-22-2009, 10:18 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Originally Posted by Yumchah View Post
Dodge will be eying sportier traits, while Chrysler vehicles will move further upscale in the luxury arena.
Ah, ok, so which one will be offering the regular crappy heavily discounted not sporty not luxury American cars for the regular guy?
Old 09-22-2009, 10:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Thanked 3,465 Times in 1,744 Posts
Originally Posted by JD23 View Post
I bet that Chrysler will cease to exist before Acura arrives at Tier-1.
Indeed. Chrysler is completely irrelevant as a luxury car company. Despite Acura's missteps, it isn't going anywhere and I certainly consider it a luxury car company.

And Chrysler "aiming to rise a notch above Cadillac"? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! That's really a good one. I've never heard anyone refer to "the Chrysler of...." anything, while even in its relatively depressed state, Cadillac still has some panache. You hear people everywhere talking about "the Cadillac of this.....that....the other...." ("Cadillac" health plans, etc.). Chrysler has not been synonymous with luxury cars for many years.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:27 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Marchionne turned Fiat around. I`m betting he does the same with Chrysler and Dodge.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:37 PM
Registered but harmless

Anyone remember the "Chrysler TC by Maserati?"

I guess it could be brought back, along with the Chrysler LeBaron and Imperial.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:00 PM

Thanked 2,057 Times in 1,219 Posts
There are people that consider Chrysler a luxury brand? that's news to me.

I'm not going to say it's impossible but Chrysler rising up to Cadillac status is just like Acura being considered Tier-1. A long and difficult road and a target which many will scoff at. Chrysler has a chance, if they make the right moves and the right cars and it'll definitely help in the enthusiasts eyes if they don't fudge up the styling any worse.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:08 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by neuronbob View Post
Indeed. Chrysler is completely irrelevant as a luxury car company. Despite Acura's missteps, it isn't going anywhere and I certainly consider it a luxury car company.

And Chrysler "aiming to rise a notch above Cadillac"? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! That's really a good one. I've never heard anyone refer to "the Chrysler of...." anything, while even in its relatively depressed state, Cadillac still has some panache. You hear people everywhere talking about "the Cadillac of this.....that....the other...." ("Cadillac" health plans, etc.). Chrysler has not been synonymous with luxury cars for many years.
Ahem...mr CTS-V

Dont be so quick to forget Cadillac was in the shitter for awhile as well, and managed to get turned around and regain its reputation.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:23 AM
an asshole from florida

yeah but even when caddy was in the shitter it was still looked up to. maybe to lower class gangsters and such but people still would say "oooh you have a caddy"

Ive never once looked at chrysler as a luxury brand. If they can pull this off and compete, well i dont even know what ill do. I still think that licoln needs to step up their game and start having their own design cues that dont resemble any ford/mercury
Old 09-23-2009, 12:33 AM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by invisiblewar View Post
yeah but even when caddy was in the shitter it was still looked up to. maybe to lower class gangsters and such but people still would say "oooh you have a caddy"

Ive never once looked at chrysler as a luxury brand. If they can pull this off and compete, well i dont even know what ill do. I still think that licoln needs to step up their game and start having their own design cues that dont resemble any ford/mercury
Not saying anything about the brands luxury rep.

But love it or hate it...people should sit a fully loaded 300C. Its comfy, spacious and has lots of bells and whistles. And its a looker of a design, love it or hate you can pick it out of a crowd. And when it debuted it drew a lot of thumbs up for design.

The ability to move upscale is there. They need to get rid of turds such as the sebring. And improve their dealer networks/customer care.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:52 AM
Registered Member

So they are gonna skip all the steps in between and go from bankrupt to a better luxo brand than Cadillac??

Great plan
Old 09-23-2009, 09:04 AM
Senior Moderator

At least Caddy has always been considered luxury, and has been successful in the past. Chrysler has been down and out for a very long time with a bad reputation, so they have a big job ahead of them.

I've been in a Chrysler 300C. I wasn't impressed. The materials looked nicer than they actually were. Once I actually got in the car and touched the parts, I realized it was just more of the typical cheap Chrysler interiors. I'm no stranger to Chryslers....my parents have owned many of them and currently have a last gen Sebring. They previously had a 94 Concorde and 98 Cirrus. I've driven all 3 extensively, as the Concorde and Cirrus were hand-me-downs and I drove the Sebring for a year while they were out of the country. The 300 was more of the same, albeit maybe a half step up from the others. Certainly not worth the price Chrysler was asking for the vehicle.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:32 AM
Registered Member

Just building one or two nice cars isn’t going to change people’s opinion about a car company if everything else in the lineup is crap. Chrysler will have to build very good quality cars throughout their lineup consistently and for very long periods of time to consider on par with Caddy.

Heck, even our President rides in a Cadillac. You don’t see any government officials ride in a Chrysler…
Old 09-23-2009, 09:41 AM
Punk Rocker

Yeah but they didn't have to deal with the UAW...
Old 09-23-2009, 10:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dtc5 View Post
You don’t see any government officials ride in a Chrysler…
That's pretty much all they used as of four years ago.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:29 AM
I'm the Firestarter

I think all you naysayers are forgetting Chrysler's pedigree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mESNYin2dc
Old 09-23-2009, 10:48 AM

Thanked 2,057 Times in 1,219 Posts
Originally Posted by Belzebutt View Post
I think all you naysayers are forgetting Chrysler's pedigree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mESNYin2dc

I didn't wanna bring it up but yeah my family had a Reliant K before my day and it was turd brown. The drivers side door didn't open so you had to enter from the passenger side. Somehow my brother still managed to get laid driving that thing, which is a mystery I'll never figure out.

Actually he was in high school with a car, so I guess that answers it. I would think many dates would end as soon as someone rolled up in one of those old K-cars.

I did ride in a Chrysler Aspen though, that was pretty decent on the inside.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Cadillac has had a looooonnng history of making great cars. Chrysler...not so much. Sure Cadillac did have a few missteps along the way...

Old 09-23-2009, 11:21 AM
Senior Moderator

And yes, I've driven quite a few Chrysler products. Growing up, my Dad always had company cars that we would buy when the lease was up.

Chrysler LeBaron - multiple transmissions (oh wait was that an Acura?)
Plymouth Reliant
Dodge Caravan
Plymouth Voyager
Old 09-23-2009, 11:23 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

uhhhhh the Cadillac Cimarron......on top of the ash heap of car history.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FCA US: Sales, Marketing, and Financial News

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.