FCA US: Sales, Marketing, and Financial News - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Go Back  AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community > Automotive Discussion > Automotive News
Reload this Page >

FCA US: Sales, Marketing, and Financial News

Notices
Automotive News
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 12-06-2004, 09:00 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Chrysler Building Huge Chicago Display - - Source: The Car Connection

Chrysler Group is planning one of the largest auto-show exhibits ever built at the 2005 Chicago Auto Show, schedule for early February. In tandem with another expansion at the show's McCormick Center digs, Chrysler will expand its display to a whopping 156,000 square feet, the biggest the company has ever put together. Sized about as big as four football fields, the exhibit will run a test track around the Chrysler show stand, requiring 115 semi-trailers of track material and 1100 cubic yards of dirt, rocks, concrete and timber that will be used to lay out a "Camp Jeep"-style environment.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:09 AM
Registered Member

Keep pushing, Chrysler. You'll get there.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:39 PM
Kabachitare!

I look forward to checking it out!
Old 01-21-2005, 02:33 PM
Retired playa

Mitsubishi Motors to pay Dailmer Chrysler - OUCH!

Mitsu to pay between 50 billion yen (US$484 million; euro374 million) and 80 billion yen (US$774.5 billion; euro599 billion) in damages for misleading them about recalls ... that's gonna hurt...LINK

Mitsu is going to go the way of Oldsmobile... I can feel it.
Old 01-21-2005, 02:46 PM
Registered Member

Ouch...it was bad enough when DCX was pulling their funding, but now for Mitsu to have to PAY DCX additional money on top of that is really gonna kill them.
Old 01-21-2005, 02:46 PM
Pinky all stinky

Me too. That's why one of my friends was looking at Mitsubishi to buy a new car (heavy promotions about low lease rates, warranties etc), but I told her to just stay away or else she'll end up like those Daewoo owners.
Old 01-21-2005, 02:47 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Logic717
Mitsu to pay between 50 billion yen (US$484 million; euro374 million) and 80 billion yen (US$774.5 billion; euro599 billion) in damages for misleading them about recalls.
Mitsubishi Motors said the compensation was still undecided. It denied a report Friday in major business daily Nihon Keizai Shimbun that the settlement may be between 50 billion yen (US$484 million; euro374 million) and 80 billion yen (US$774.5 billion; euro599 billion).
Old 01-21-2005, 02:51 PM
Photography Nerd

Mitsu
Old 01-21-2005, 03:01 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by phile
Me too. That's why one of my friends was looking at Mitsubishi to buy a new car (heavy promotions about low lease rates, warranties etc), but I told her to just stay away or else she'll end up like those Daewoo owners.

Ya, I guess that 10 year powertrain warranty and 5 year bumper to bumper doesn't help much if the company doesn't exist.

Besides styling, I don't see all that much wrong with their lineup.

They should pry Ghosn away from Nissan.
Old 01-21-2005, 03:09 PM
Retired playa

Originally Posted by machination
Mitsubishi Motors said the compensation was still undecided. It denied a report Friday in major business daily Nihon Keizai Shimbun that the settlement may be between 50 billion yen (US$484 million; euro374 million) and 80 billion yen (US$774.5 billion; euro599 billion).
Looks like I've been

It looks like DCX wants a settlement of that much, and Mitsu denied it... either way, Mistu is gonna have to pay SOMETHING....

Last edited by Logic717; 01-21-2005 at 03:11 PM.
Old 01-21-2005, 03:13 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by domn
Ya, I guess that 10 year powertrain warranty and 5 year bumper to bumper doesn't help much if the company doesn't exist.

Besides styling, I don't see all that much wrong with their lineup.

They should pry Ghosn away from Nissan.
Quality issues aside, their line-up was decent, but uninspired and unloved. The automotive press never placed on them the same kinds of accolades that Honda or Toyota received nor were they able to create an image like Mazda has recently. Their death will be mourned by the DSM crowd.

If anything, now is the time to buy an EVO VIII before they disappear only to become a collectors item.
Old 01-21-2005, 03:24 PM
Registered Member

I just don't see Mitsu dissolving altogether. Surely there's some other rich auto company out there that'll swoop in and save the day, like Ford did with Mazda way back when, and Renault did with Nissan a few years ago.
Old 01-21-2005, 03:46 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Ouch is right, if this doesnt bring down Mitsu, than i will!
Old 01-23-2005, 07:37 PM
Dragging knees in

Another company will buy out Mitsubishi, I bet.

But even if the brand dissipated, they will have arragements to have the current vehicles serviced elsewhere. But you know they will be strict and picky in order to save costs.

My brother has an '01 Eclipse GT, and it's a piece of shit. Can't wait to get rid of it. I will not be sad to see Mitsubishi die. They suck.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:23 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Logic717
Mitsu to pay between 50 billion yen (US$484 million; euro374 million) and 80 billion yen (US$774.5 billion; euro599 billion) in damages for misleading them about recalls
the #s dont add up to me...well maybe i'm not smart enough but 50 billion yen is $484 million USD , 80 billion yen is $774.5 billion USD??

poor mitsu...i used to really like them, still kinda do
Old 01-25-2005, 12:16 PM
It's not over yet

Originally Posted by MaximaPower
the #s dont add up to me...well maybe i'm not smart enough but 50 billion yen is $484 million USD , 80 billion yen is $774.5 billion USD??

poor mitsu...i used to really like them, still kinda do

1 dollar =103 yen
50,000,000,000/103= 484 million dollars
got it mang?
Old 01-25-2005, 12:53 PM
Retired playa

I think he was talking about BILLION in the second part of the sentence. It was a typo at the website and I quoted it.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:55 PM

i wonder if they'll have a closeout of all remaining evos
Old 04-11-2005, 07:26 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Daimler Chrysler Shareholder Meeting a "Gripefest"

DC Meeting Turns Into Gripefest - - by Joseph Szczesny Source: The Car Connection

Disgruntled shareholders zeroed in on falling earnings, quality problems and scandal in the Mercedes-Benz sales organization in Germany during the company's annual meeting in Berlin, and blasted DaimlerChrysler chief executive Juergen Schrempp for failing to protect the German-American automaker's most important asset - the three-pointed star.

Thomas Meier, a fund manager with Union Investment Fund, a major German fund, warned that the poor quality of the Mercedes cars throws a shadow over company in the long run. "The problems at Mercedes and Smart are entirely management's fault," he suggested.

Klaus Kaldemorgen, a fund manager with DSW, a subsidiary of Deutsche Bank, Germany 's most influential financial institution, said the drop in the earnings of the Mercedes-Benz brand, which is critical to the company's stability and success, was troubling. The voluntary recall of 1.3 million Mercedes-Benz vehicle and the heavy losses at Smart, Mercedes' small car subsidiary, only underscored the problems, added Kaldemorgen, who was cheered several times as he spoke.

"Mercedes-Benz is no longer an icon," said another shareholder during the daylong meeting staged at the Berlin Messe, or convention center, on the western edge of the German capital.

Promises, promises

Another shareholder noted that at the time of the merger in 1998, stockholders were promised a company with Chrysler's efficiency and Mercedes-Benz quality. What shareholders got was a company with Chrysler's quality and Mercedes-Benz efficiency, he noted pointedly.

Schrempp tried to assure shareholders that the company was doing everything in its power to improve Mercedes-Benz quality and to boost Mercedes-Benz's earning power, which has fallen dramatically since the middle of 2004 and will take another hit in the first quarter of 2005 as automaker writes down part of its investment in Smart. It was also less expensive to keep building Smarts, which help recruit young customers to the Mercedes-Benz, than to shut it down, he added.

Schrempp also said to DaimlerChrysler shareholders that the company was doing all that it can to investigate misconduct and to protect the integrity of the organization, which is responsible for sales of Mercedes-Benz brand cars, vans, and trucks in the vital German market.

The Berlin-based sales organization has more than 17,000 employees, Schrempp noted, and fewer than ten have been implicated in a new scandal involving kickbacks to distributors. The sales organization not only controls distribution of cars and trucks to dealers but also operates a network of more than 40 company-owned retail dealerships that are located in major German cities.

Schrempp noted that DaimlerChrysler launched an internal investigation into the charges back in October following an anonymous tip from an employee. The executive in charge of the sales unit was replaced in February after he was implicated in the scandal and Schrempp said the information collected during the internal investigation has been turned over to government prosecutors in Stuttgart, where they will determine whether to bring criminal charges against the officials dismissed by DaimerChrysler.

The fact that the matter has been turned over to prosecutors also meant that he had to limit his comments on the specific charges, he said.

Senior DaimlerChrysler officials said privately that the scandal basically involved what one described as disorganized crime, involving kickbacks for selected distributors and misappropriation of company assets for personal use. The company has turned up no evidence that any of the discredited executives had links to the organized crime that traffic in stolen vehicles across Eastern Europe.

Chrysler comeback overshadowed

The problems at Mercedes-Benz also overshadowed any discussion of the comeback of the Chrysler Group, which had been a frequent target of Schrempp's critics in the past.

The turnaround rested on a strong foundation that will continue to produce solid results in the years to come, DaimlerChrysler AG's top executive told shareholders during the German-American automakers annual meeting in Berlin.

"I think we have excellent prospects" for Chrysler, Schrempp said in response to a question from one of the shareholders. Chrysler, he added, is getting ready to produce mid-size and small cars that he assumes will be as good in their own ways as the 300, Schrempp added.

Schrempp also said he believed that as more of Chrysler's new models, such as the Jeep Commander, which is due out next fall reach the market, the company's revenues and earnings will improve more in 2006 and 2007.

Chrysler has clearly benefited from the investments by DaimlerChrysler earlier in the decade at time when the future of the group appeared bleak, Schrempp said. "Despite some huge losses, we made these strategic innovations," such as the Stow 'n Go folding seats now found on the Chrysler minivan, he added.

The DaimlerChrysler CEO also noted that some of the company's competitors would not have spent $400 million on such as innovations out of concern for the short-term profitability. "At DaimlerChrysler we always think about the long-term," he said. Nevertheless, he also said he worries about the intense competition in the North American market.

Old 04-11-2005, 07:29 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Wow, not only GM has severe issues internally these days...
Old 04-11-2005, 09:28 AM
Registered Member

"Mercedes-Benz is no longer an icon..." the truest words written in the article. DCX is in real trouble if they don't get the Mercedes brand back under control. I was a diehard fan eight years ago. Now, I'd take an Infiniti over a comparable Benz anyday. Looks like even the success of the 300 couldn't stem the tide of ill will at the meeting.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:37 PM
The hair says it all

Originally Posted by titan
"Mercedes-Benz is no longer an icon..." the truest words written in the article. DCX is in real trouble if they don't get the Mercedes brand back under control. I was a diehard fan eight years ago. Now, I'd take an Infiniti over a comparable Benz anyday. Looks like even the success of the 300 couldn't stem the tide of ill will at the meeting.
there isn't all that much overlap with infiniti and benz. where the infiniti brand topps out in $$ range is where benz starts to get fun and interesting. anyone who says that the cls55 amg isn't insanely hot and is not an icon (as well as a mclaren slr) is on something
Old 04-12-2005, 12:43 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Python2121
there isn't all that much overlap with infiniti and benz. where the infiniti brand topps out in $$ range is where benz starts to get fun and interesting.
True but Infiniti has positioned itself to move up from here. What about an ala-AMG setup brand going forward? Imagine a 400HP G43 or whatever for $52K. Same for the M and FX.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:30 PM
Certified Lurker

This is funny cause although im aware of the quality problems, etc., most people still think of mercedes as a great company with great cars. Ask almost any person that isnt an automotive news junkie like us if they would take an infinity over a mercedes and i garuntee 90% of people would take a mercedes, and then ask them if there is a quality problem with mercedes or if they know that Hundai's have better quality then Benz and prob 98% would say your on drugs if you think that...
Old 04-17-2005, 10:58 AM
go like hell

Originally Posted by Collective27
This is funny cause although im aware of the quality problems, etc., most people still think of mercedes as a great company with great cars. Ask almost any person that isnt an automotive news junkie like us if they would take an infinity over a mercedes and i garuntee 90% of people would take a mercedes, and then ask them if there is a quality problem with mercedes or if they know that Hundai's have better quality then Benz and prob 98% would say your on drugs if you think that...
the thing about Infiniti is the body styling. to me it doesn't cut it. I don't like the new "M" the G35 is "okay" but the new SLK is better IMO.

If i was to get a lexus car just to cruise around kind of like a old timer i'd get an RL because RL a well built car that yeah if you want to occassionally get into it you got 300 HP. however if I was gonna romp on it everyday and drive the piss out of it I'd go with a BMW either M3 or M5(depending on funds). those cars are SOOOOOOO fun to drive. :
Lexus: If you drive the newer models like the es330. if you go into a corner hard the car acts like it doesn't like it. plus the SC430 performance can't touch a S2000 or SLK's performance.
Infinti: they're coming a long but need in house tuner(kind of like AMG or M line of BMW)
Acura: I line the design of the new TL but 5500 dollars for the A spec option and you don't gain any more power give me a break. . if you get in house tuner it would fix this problem.

I heard rumors that Lexus was gonna start an AMG like line called the GT line. anyone else hear this.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Thanked 7,267 Times in 3,897 Posts
ya, imagine a 604hp G65
Old 04-17-2005, 01:11 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by gavriil
Wow, not only GM has severe issues internally these days...
The declining dollar has got to be hurting German automakers badly. To make matters worse I think car buyers are better informed today. They know that Lexus and Infiniti offer comparable cars at a lower price.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:25 PM
go like hell

It's kind of disappointing to me as a car guy: because I always viewed Mercedes as a "sporty/fun lux. car company." I know they are still there but in the 80's they were WAAAAAY ahead of everyone. Their designs always blew me away. the closest carmaker to them was BMW. now I on their best day they are lucky if they can keeping up with the like Lexus,Infinti, and Acura.

when I heard Benz was buy Chrysler back in 98 I was happy because I thought Benz would turn around Chrysler's way of putting out shitty products. Now I wonder if the opposite happened.

to be honest:I wish they wouldn't have bought Chrysler and just remain Mercedes Benz. I think Mercedes has slowly been going down hill since the merger.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:04 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Buy a Chrysler, Fly to Hawaii for Free

I have received this promotional email from United today:

Don't miss out on this great offer from Chrysler to earn 70,000 miles. That's 2 roundtrip Saver Awards to Hawaii, or any other U.S. destination of your choice!*

To take advantage of this exclusive offer, just follow these 3 easy steps:

First, register at united.com/chrysler.

Then, visit your local Chrysler dealership, and purchase a new, eligible 2005 Chrysler vehicle by August 1, 2005.

Finally, go to united.com/chryslermiles, and submit your new vehicle identification number (VIN) and date of purchase by August 31, 2005.

Now you can tell what models Chrysler wants to "push" (cos they are not moving off of dealer's lots quickly enough) from the fine print at the bottom:

Offer valid toward the retail purchase or lease of any eligible new and unused 2005 Chrysler, Dodge or Jeep vehicles. Offer not eligible on all SRT models, except Crossfire SRT6, Viper, Sprinter, all 300 models, Magnum R/T and 2006 Charger.

Old 06-16-2005, 10:06 PM
Moderator Alumnus

So obviously the SRT6 is...in the dirt right now Not that it's new news but just another sign of confirmation.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:44 AM
Registered Member

I'll just take the cash - thanks. Folks will get hooked on this, when it only costs DCX a couple hundred $ for the give away.
Those Saver Awards on United have lots of restrictions and you have to book way ahead.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:48 AM
The Third Ball

Thanked 3,737 Times in 1,984 Posts
that a lot of exceptions.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:47 AM
Banned

word. those tickets dont cost them much. the deal is good if your the type of person that buys any ol' car just to get from A to B. (not like we have any of these ppl on this board, hehe)
Old 06-17-2005, 10:48 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by biker
Those Saver Awards on United have lots of restrictions and you have to book way ahead.
I can tell you know a lot about that. You know what I have to go through every time i try to use my hard earned miles.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:49 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by The Sarlacc
that a lot of exceptions.
And those are just the car related exceptions. Here is the whole fine print part of the ad:

Terms and Conditions

* United Saver Awards are currently redeemable at 25,000 miles within the U.S. (excluding Hawaii) and Canada. United Saver Awards are currently redeemable at 35,000 miles from North America to Hawaii, Caribbean or Central America. For information on Mileage Plus Award Reservations, call 1-888-467-0507.
** When equipped with optional side curtain air bags.
*** Based on 2004 models tested by NHTSA. Pacifica received a four-out-of-five star rating.
**** Best Pick rating based on an offset-frontal crash at a nominal speed of 40mph.

Program begins April 27, 2005. To qualify for the offer, members must register online at united.com/chrysler, purchase an eligible Chrysler vehicle and take delivery by 8/1/05, and submit new vehicle identification number (VIN) and date of purchase at united.com/chryslermiles by 8/31/05. Offer valid toward the retail purchase or lease of any eligible new and unused 2005 Chrysler, Dodge or Jeep vehicles. Offer not eligible on all SRT models, except Crossfire SRT6, Viper, Sprinter, all 300 models, Magnum R/T and 2006 Charger. Offer is additive to the most current national and regional incentives. Offer is not available to the general public and cannot be combined with any other exclusive offers. Only one (1) original offer may be redeemed per eligible customer. Offer is valid for the person named on the e-mail offer and is transferable only to immediate family members within your household with proof of address (valid driver's license or state identification required). Offer also eligible on vehicles purchased through Dealership Employee Purchase or the Affiliate Rewards Program. Chrysler employees are not eligible to participate in this promotion. Offer may not be redeemed for a purchase made prior to receipt of mailing. Offer is non-negotiable, and not redeemable for cash. Offer does not require dealer participation or submission of offer claim. Offer is post-purchase and will be verified by United and Chrysler. Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge are registered trademarks of DaimlerChrysler Corporation.

Allow 6-8 weeks for miles to post after purchase verification. Not combinable with other offers. Bonus miles and miles earned through non-flight activity do not count toward Premier(R) or 1K(R) status. Offer subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply. Miles accrued and awards issued are subject to the rules of the Mileage Plus program. United, its subsidiaries, affiliates and agents are not responsible for any products and services of other participating companies and partners. Taxes and fees related to award travel are the responsibility of the passenger. United and Mileage Plus are registered service marks. For complete details about the Mileage Plus program, visit www.united.com. (MPGC85)
Old 06-29-2005, 01:31 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Chrysler may match GM discounts if extended

Chrysler may match GM discounts if extended - - Reuters / June 29, 2005 - - Source: Automotive News

DETROIT -- Chrysler may match General Motors' offer giving all U.S. car buyers the same discounts its employees get if GM extends the promotion beyond next week, a newspaper said on Wednesday.

Citing sources familiar with the matter, the Detroit News said the U.S. arm of DaimlerChrysler had told its national dealer council on Tuesday it could make a similar offer as early as next Monday if GM extends its promotion through July.

GM, the world's largest automaker, has seen customer traffic soar since it announced the offer on June 1. The offer is due to end on July 5 but GM's North American marketing chief has been quoted as saying it might be prolonged.

Chrysler spokesman Jason Vines confirmed that the GM consumer incentives program was discussed with the dealer council, but he said the automaker would not necessarily follow in GM's footsteps.

"We're looking at every option," Vines told Reuters.

"We could announce a new (incentives) campaign as early as Friday or as late as Monday or Tuesday," he added. "What we don't want to do is match the fire sale mentality."

The success of the GM offer -- expected to be confirmed by June U.S. sales numbers on Friday -- is forcing rivals to take a look at how to defend share in the world's biggest and most fiercely competitive car market.

Dan Bedore, a spokesman at GM's crosstown rival Ford Motor Co., said "that's not in the works right now" when asked if the No. 2 U.S. automaker was considering matching the employee discount program.

"We are going to watch the market," he said.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:32 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Assuming this will be good on the SRT8 models, there goes the Mustang GTs crown on performance over price. You'll be able to get a 425HP monster for $25K
Old 06-29-2005, 01:35 PM
Registered Member

HA! GM had better watch out. You thought they were selling 300s BEFORE, lol.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:39 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by gavriil
Assuming this will be good on the SRT8 models, there goes the Mustang GTs crown on performance over price. You'll be able to get a 425HP monster for $25K
Maybe $35K but no way would you be able to get it for $25K.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:39 PM
Registered Member

Ooh...an SRT-4 at employee prices might make for a fun daily driver...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FCA US: Sales, Marketing, and Financial News

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.