Euro Accord(TSX) to Enter Euro Touring Car Championship (ETCC)

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 10:10 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Euro Accord(TSX) to Enter Euro Touring Car Championship (ETCC)

After two years JAS Motorsport return to the FIA European Touring Car Championship. The Italian team will take part in the 2004 ETCC with the new Honda Accord 2.0i; their last campaign dates back to 2001, with two Honda Accord cars driven by Gabriele Tarquini and Fabrice Walfisch in the FIA European Super Touring Championship. The two drivers claimed ten race wins and six pole positions, with Tarquini placing third in the Drivers’ Championship. JAS Motorsport return with an independent programme, though at a high level. The team hired the 23-year-old driver Alessandro Balzan, who debuted last year in the ETCC, coming to the fore at the wheel of an independent Alfa Romeo 156 in which he obtained a third position overall in Pergusa. Negotiations have been opened with other drivers for a second car. The new Honda Accord 2.0i will be totally developed by JAS Motorsport, and its debut is due to happen in the ETCC third meeting, on May 1st in Magny-Cours. However JAS will participate also in the first two meetings, with a Civic Type-R. “This is a challenging programme and we are back with high expectations,” said project manager Stefano Fini. “The Accord has a great potential. The engine and the Xtrac sequential gearbox proved to be effective on the Civic; however, compared to it, the new car has longer wheelbase, wider tracks, better aerodynamics, and a more effective suspension system. The double wishbone at the front and the five-arm multilink at the rear, make the Accord one of the most advanced 2-litre saloons.” Balzan commented: “I’m so excited for this opportunity. The programme is based on a great deal of testing, and this will give me the chance of growing up as a driver.” (Picture: JAS Motorsport’s last campaign in the 2001 FIA ETSC).

I believe the above pick is the previous version of the Euro Accord. Looks like the new entry will be using the 2.0L (ITR/Euro R Engine) as opposed to our 2.4.

Lets keep tabs on this because ETCC is a pretty prestigeous racing series.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:47 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If only we could get real TV coverage of such a series of racing. Speed has become the NASCAR series the last 2 years. I guess if you give enough money, they'll devote the network to your series instead. Remember the days when it was Speedvision? We used to have a diverse racing channel then. Where has that era gone?
Old 02-10-2004, 09:08 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally posted by kurt_bradley
If only we could get real TV coverage of such a series of racing. Speed has become the NASCAR series the last 2 years. I guess if you give enough money, they'll devote the network to your series instead. Remember the days when it was Speedvision? We used to have a diverse racing channel then. Where has that era gone?
I know, I used to love watching the ETCC on Speed. At least they still telivise some of the World Challenge. I hate Nascar, except for the last 5 laps of a race.
Old 02-10-2004, 12:35 PM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: Euro Accord(TSX) to Enter Euro Touring Car Championship (ETCC)

Originally posted by domn
Looks like the new entry will be using the 2.0L (ITR/Euro R Engine) as opposed to our 2.4.
Well, FIA regulates that all engine size in the Touring Car series must be 2.0L whether the engine is a I4, I5, I6, or V6.

Speed showed the ETCC and BTCC couple months ago, however they were all taped, shortened to only a one hour show each time. I guess the reason they showed these series was that winter is the off-season for NASCRAP (arh....I mean NASCAR).
Old 02-10-2004, 12:37 PM
bleh...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Euro Accord(TSX) to Enter Euro Touring Car Championship (ETCC)

Originally posted by domn
That is a picture of the previous European Accord design that the TSX/Accord Euro replaced.