Ethanol: News and Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 04:38 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
Where's the outrage and finger pointing towards the tree-huggers that caused this?
Old 04-21-2009, 10:28 AM
F1 cart racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
/\/\/\

tore down the carbs on my fathers bike this past weekend, and what did we find?

a dark orange goo that kinda feels like oil but is also sticky. lot of the jets and the float needles were clogged or stuck. the fuel pump was even clogged with this nasty stuff.

once everything was cleaned the bike ran perfectly and started right up.

all because of ETHANOL....now mine gets broken down next weekend. this crap is corrosive and nastly
Old 04-21-2009, 11:45 AM
Race Director

^ thankfully, that ethanol silliness has not spread here and the lowest level of fuel at gas stations is RON95 - bike gets great mileage with it.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:47 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Opposition mounts for ethanol increase

Although most industry experts universally agree that corn-based fuels are not the answer to our nation’s energy dilemma, the Environmental Protection Agency is currently considering a measure that would require a significant bump in ethanol usage. Originally spurred by corn-producing states, many of the world’s automakers – along with representatives from several other industries — are now speaking out against the proposed legislation.

The EPA has until December 1 to rule on a request to increase the amount of ethanol that can be mixed with gasoline from 10 percent to 15 percent, but strong opposition from the automobile industry could ultimately delay the decision making process. Although most pumps across the country now carry E10 – a 10 percent mix of ethanol – automakers warn that more research needs to be done to determine if older engines will be able to handle the 15 percent blend without damage.

Although corn-producing states are partly responsible for the E15 push, Congress’ recent ethanol requirements are largely behind the legislation. Congress has required that the United States must use 11 million gallons of ethanol by 2010 and 36 billion gallons by 2022. However, even if every gas station in America were to carry the current standard E10, the U.S. would still fall short – by more than half – of the 2022 requirement, according to The Detroit News.

Automakers aren’t completed against the switch to E15, but insist more research must be done to ensure the blend doesn’t damage or disable vehicles not built with the E15 standard in mind. In a letter to Congress, the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers – which includes the Big Three, Toyota and seven other automakers – said the idea “is premature, and since EPA has never allowed conventional vehicles to use higher ethanol blends, the research on their potential impacts on vehicles not designed, tested or warranted for their use is incomplete.”

Moreover, the switch to E15 is also being opposed by other industries dependent on gasoline engines. The International Snowmobile Manufacturers Association warns that E15 could do “irreparable harm” to snowmobile engines. Several U.S. states rely on snowmobiling for tourism, with more than 1.8 million snowmobiles currently registered in the United States.

The boating industry has taken a similar stance against E15, representing the nation’s 80 million boaters.

Automakers are seeking $17 million from Congress to conduct more research, but it remains to be seen if that request will be granted. President Obama has dedicated $786 billion to boost biofuel research – particularly in the field of cellulosic ethanol — but the vast majority of the U.S.’ ethanol still comes from corn. Not surprisingly, corn-producing states are supporting the legislation, arguing the measure will boost the U.S. economy and create thousands of new jobs. With both sides still miles apart on the ethanol debate, look for an interesting ramp-up to the EPA’s December 1 deadline.
http://www.leftlanenews.com/oppositi...tml#more-21498

Diesel Hello?
Old 09-29-2009, 08:00 AM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Excess ethanol blamed in breakdown of police cars

City officials say an unusually high concentration of ethanol in the city's gasoline supply contributed to the breakdown of more than 70 police cars over the weekend, most of which had been repaired and returned to service Tuesday.

More than 200 police cars fueled up at a 24-hour, city-run gas pump by the Fallsway before cars started showing problems, and nearly one-third of the Police Department's patrol contingent was sidelined with engine trouble.

Police doubled up in cars before activating a reserve and shifting administrative vehicles into service.

Officials had expressed concern that the unleaded gasoline might have been mistakenly refilled with diesel, but results from a lab in Towson showed that ethanol was the apparent culprit.

Khalil Zaied, director of general services, said the city's supplier, IsoBunkers of Norfolk, Va., was conducting its own tests and that the city's legal team believes the city can recoup all expenses related to the incident.

Those expenses remained unclear Tuesday, but all of the repair work was done in-house, Zaied said.

"We had folks working literally 24 hours at all stations," Zaied said of the effort to get the police cruisers back on the streets. "They did a wonderful job."

Ethanol is mixed with gasoline at the pumps and is used to reduce carbon monoxide emissions, becoming more widespread in recent years as a replacement for methyl tertiary butyl ether, or MTBE, an additive that has led to concerns about groundwater contamination.

Most automobiles are not designed to handle blends with more than 10 percent ethanol, and higher levels of ethanol can cause engine damage.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/mar...,1002895.story
Old 09-29-2009, 08:19 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
We need to get rid of this crap, not add more.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:22 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
We need to get rid of this crap, not add more.
...but the politicians whored themselves out to the corn farmers, and the ethanol producers......now they owe them....even though ethanol is a failure, they will still push for it.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:17 PM
Race Director

Old 10-09-2009, 06:52 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,021 Likes on 2,499 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenMonster
Fucking corn ethanol producers... the future of ethanol is not in corn, it's in non-food based products like corn cobs and corn stalks (or switchgrass)...

Wait till they figure out how to easily break down the cellulose bonds in wood scraps (sawdust, etc)...
Yep, US has no sugar potential like Brasil so the only hope is biologist and chemist finding a efficient way to break down the cellulose products which have higher potential yield and not corn kernels .

Brasil has done a amazing job over 3 decades with their country's ethanol program/projects to be foreign oil independent. Old article but the extraction difference between corn and sugar cane is huge.

"The ethanol extracted from corn yields only about 15 to 25 percent more fuel than the fossil fuels that were used to produce it. In Brazil, according to industry studies, the sugar-based ethanol yields about 830 percent more."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...081900842.html
Old 10-09-2009, 08:44 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
Originally Posted by sho_nuff1997
I think the writing's on the wall, I think I heard somewhere that investment in ethanol is down, and those shiny new plants they built are running underutilized. It's only a matter of time. Keep spreading the word.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:32 AM
Race Director

^ the plants will be converted to produce bio-diesel once a good enough solution is developed. Bio-diesel is the long term solution - totaly renewable and delivers much better mileage than ethanol. All the delivery infrastructure is in place to support it unlike what's needed for electric cars or any other fuel.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Belzebutt
I think the writing's on the wall, I think I heard somewhere that investment in ethanol is down, and those shiny new plants they built are running underutilized. It's only a matter of time. Keep spreading the word.
Many have shut down or filed bankruptcy
Old 11-22-2010, 04:53 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Al Gore = Tool, Liar, Hypocrite

While delivering a speech on green energy policies in Europe today, former vice president Al Gore revealed several reasons for his former support for the federal subsidization of ethanol, many of which had nothing to do with the environment.

When speaking of the $7.7 billion in subsidies for ethanol in 2009, Gore admitted for the first time today that the subsidies may not be the right thing for the energy policy or the taxpayer.

“It is not a good policy to have these massive subsidies for (U.S.) first generation ethanol.” said Gore, according to Reuters. Gore added, “First generation ethanol I think was a mistake. The energy conversion ratios are at best very small. It’s hard once such a program is put in place to deal with the lobbies that keep it going.”

As the creator of the world famous documentary film, “An Inconvenient Truth,” Gore established himself as a pseudo-expert on climate change and the necessary changes required in order to avoid it. Following the film’s release, Gore has been addressing governments around the world for years on energy policies based on his expertise.

Yet, despite establishing himself as someone who was concerned with the environment first, and politics second, perhaps the most shocking revelation to come from Gore today was his admission of the reasons behind supporting ethanol, “One of the reasons I made that mistake is that I paid particular attention to the farmers in my home state of Tennessee, and I had a certain fondness for the farmers in the state of Iowa because I was about to run for president.”

Fast food facts
The process of creating ethanol fuel is fairly complex, and energy and material intensive. In the U.S., 41 percent of all corn being grown is used to create ethanol, a process that extracts sugar from the corn in an inefficient process due to the limitations of technology, according to Reuters.

Because of a combination of expected inflation and the major portion of corn that is then diverted from feeding either humans or livestock, many analysts are now predicting potentially devastating increases in the price of corn found at grocery stores in the near future. Gore said, “The size, the percentage of corn particularly, which is now being (used for) first generation ethanol definitely has an impact on food prices. The competition with food prices is real.”

Gore went on to explain that he expects the use of corn for fuel will continue to drive food prices up even into the second- and third-generations of production.
http://www.leftlanenews.com/al-gore-...gy-speech.html
http://www.leftlanenews.com/al-gore-...gy-speech.html

"Sorry I screwed you all." - Al Gore
Old 11-22-2010, 04:57 PM
Race Director

What a total idiot. I bet this gets no coverage at all from the general media.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:02 PM
Senior Moderator

our state congress is backing this shit heavily too. Many are farmers or friends with many of the big farmers. They are basically giving these large subsidies to them to make this crap. When will they learn it doesnt help a thing out!
Old 11-22-2010, 10:21 PM
My first Avatar....

Received 5,813 Likes on 3,731 Posts
Originally Posted by biker
Of course not. Saying something "anti green", whether truthful or not, would be politically incorrect.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:58 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by biker
Main stream media is all over it, now we just need Bush to admit the 2003 Iraq invasion was a mistake.

Nova had a good documentary on biofuels few years back and many of the researchers thought corn was the wrong fuel stock then. Sugarcane requires too hot/humid a climate the US doesn't have, the only decent solutions was switchgrass and getting the cellulose process to work effciency. Too many politicians looked at Brasil and what they did in 2 decades with sugarcane and bought into the whole the US is big and corn grows here....
Old 11-23-2010, 08:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Main stream media is all over it,
Not in this state they arent. I havent seen a single mention of it on the local news.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:03 AM
AZ Community Team

Not in this state they arent. I havent seen a single mention of it on the local news.
Reuters had it up yesterday morning when I first saw it.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6AL3CN20101122
Old 11-23-2010, 09:04 AM
My first Avatar....

Me either. Haven't heard a sound. :crickets: :tumbleweeds:
Old 11-23-2010, 09:08 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by pttl
Me either. Haven't heard a sound. :crickets: :tumbleweeds:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/...ve-suppor.html

Washington Post

I'd imagine all mainstream media have it somewhere on their political webpages
Old 11-23-2010, 01:49 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
Mainstream media is on it, in fact it was the left wing liberal elite ivy league universities that brought this up in the first place.

The problem is the fly-over state congressmen who push ethanol on behalf of the farming lobby.

I still see these adds all over CNN where the all-American farmer takes off his hat in the middle of time square and makes a speech about how he can grow fuel and feed everyone. It's not the liberal media or environmentalists who paid for ads like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSA5d...eature=related

Last edited by Belzebutt; 11-23-2010 at 01:52 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:54 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

House blocks EPA from moving forward with E15!!!

The Environmental Protection Agency approved a plan last month to increase the blend of corn-based ethanol in gasoline from 10 percent to 15 percent, but a House amendment has put the brakes on the movement.

The EPA approved a measure last month to allow gas stations to begin selling E15 – a blend of 85 percent gasoline and 15 percent ethanol – but the U.S. House of Representatives passed a measure on Tuesday that blocks the EPA from conducting gas station surveys. Gas station surveys are required before a gas station can begin selling E85.

Penned by Rep. John Sullivan, a Republican from Oklahoma, the amendment essentially prohibits the EPA from spending money on the required surveys. The surveys are intended to ensure gas stations are using proper labels on ethanol dispensers.

“The House overwhelmingly agreed to put consumers first and ensure adequate testing is conducted before higher levels of ethanol are introduced,” said Gloria Bergquist, a spokeswoman for the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers. The Alliance of Automobile Manufactures represents 12 automakers, including General Motors and Toyota.

The AAM has largely opposed the move to E15 as it believes more testing is required to ensure the blend is safe for older vehicles. The current standard at the pumps is E10.

The AAM’s victory could prove to be short lived, though. The Sullivan amendment only prohibits the EPA from spending on gas station surveys until September 30.
http://www.leftlanenews.com/house-bl...e15-plans.html

Old 02-22-2011, 07:42 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Good start. No need to test for E15....they need to do testing and see how much the E10 is killing our cars.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:01 PM
Race Director

The AAM’s victory could prove to be short lived, though. The Sullivan amendment only prohibits the EPA from spending on gas station surveys until September 30.
It won't be short lived - there'll be even deeper cuts at the EPA next fiscal year.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Awesome, now to get rid of the 10% and make it all straight gas.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:09 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
thank god
Old 07-11-2011, 07:24 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Ethanol Subsidies Besieged

Federal subsidies for corn ethanol have long been considered untouchable in Washington — not least because politicians want the votes of Iowans, who have traditionally held the first nominating caucuses in the contest for the presidency.

But this year, cutting the budget deficit holds more allure than courting corn farmers, making a turning point in ethanol politics.

In Washington, there is growing consensus that the ethanol industry has reached financial stability, making much government assistance unnecessary. A strong majority of the Senate recently voted to end most of the subsidies.....
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/08/bu...-jeopardy.html
Old 07-12-2011, 07:12 AM
Race Director

It's not just the direct 45c/gal subsidy that should be done away with - but also the 10% ethanol mandate.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:51 PM
Race Director

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...sic-ethanol-/1

The federal requirement for consuming 36 billion gallons of ethanol and other so-called biofuels annually by 2022 probably won't be met, and it might not reach its goal of cutting greenhouse gases even it were met, according to a report requested by Congress and published Tuesday by the National Academy of Sciences.

Meeting the standard "would likely increase federal budget outlays as well as have mixed economic and environmental effects," according to a summary.

"We're not telling anybody, 'Don't do biofuels.' We're just saying it will cost more than you thought and won't go as quickly as you thought," says E10 and E15 ethanol-gasoline blends will make sure the ethanol portion of the government's bio-fuel madate will be met, but a panel of experts says it's almost impossible to meet the requirement for other types of biofuels, or to guarantee they won't worsen, not improve, greenhouse gas emissions.

The report notes that the way biofuels (mainly ethanol) are produced, and changes in how land is used to meet the Renewable Fuel Standard, will determine whether greenhouse gases (GHG) increase or decrease. GHG are vilified as a global warming cause.

Tyner is professor of agricultural economics at Purdue University and co-director of the Center for Research on Energy Systems and Policy. The other 14 committee members represent an array of interests: agriculture, biofuels development, chemistry, sustainable energy, natural resources. Most are connected with universities.

Here's a look at the experts' report.

The National Academy of Sciences is not connected with the government. Congress can consult the NAS for expertise on issues, and did so in the case of biofuels.

The requirement for 15 billion gallons of fuel mainly from corn ethanol certainly will be met, he says: "We're at 14 billion today," and plenty of ethanol plants are in operation.

But meeting the requirements for cellulosic biofuels is uncertain, the report says. That's key because cellulosic-derived fuels come from wood, grasses and other non-edible material. That would end the fierce arguments about the propriety of using land to grow crops for fuel instead of for food.

"Everybody's been saying that cellulosic is the one that takes us home. We're saying, 'Not by 2022, it won't,' " Tyner says.

Whereas the technology and costs of making ethanol fuel from corn are well-known, "cellulosic on the other hand is new technology. We don't know how it works. We don't know how much it will cost. There are no plants in operation. Here we are in 2011 at 0 gallons and we have to get to 16 billion gallons by 2022.

"That's double or triple" how fast ethanol fuel became commercially viable, he notes.

"Everybody in the industry wants to build the fourth or fifth plant. Nobody wants to build the first," he says.

Even if oil were $111 a barrel, one of the scenarios forecast by the Department of Energy, cellulosic fuel could be a losing proposition, he says. Biofeul made using wood scraps, corn stalks and other leftover waste could be profitable. But growing plants specifically for fuel, such as switchgrass, wouldn't be unless the government continues a current $1.01 per gallon subsidy, he says.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:42 PM
I got the Shifts

Ethanol subsidies end in 2012

By Mark KleisTuesday, Dec 27th, 2011 @ 3:03 pm

0digg
With Congress officially on break until the close of 2011, the list of programs which did not get renewed is growing, including big items like the controversial ethanol subsidy.

Since 1980 it is estimated that U.S. taxpayers have subsidized $45 billion worth of the corn/ethanol business, but as DailyTech points out, that subsidy which saw $6 billion spent last year will stop dead in its tracks when 2012 kicks off.

Support for ethanol has waned in recent years on many fronts, with some pointing to studies that indicated the fuel was simply not financially feasible without continued federal subsidies (and wouldn’t be for many years to come), as well as outcries from automakers like Ford and Toyota pointing to concerns that the fuel could wreak havoc on fuel delivery systems as blends continued to become more concentrated.

The latest blow to the U.S. ethanol industry wasn’t even the first this year, as six months ago Congress voted 73-27 to end a tariff on the importation of Brazilian sugar cane ethanol – forcing U.S. corn-based ethanol to actually compete in a free market.

What’s next?
It’s impossible to know what will happen next in such a volatile political and economic environment, but it appears there may be a push forming against the recently increased mandated blend of ethanol fuel known as E85 (85 percent gasoline, 15 percent ethanol). Federal mandates called for consuming 15 billion gallons by 2015 and 36 billion by 2022 – but a vote by the U.S. House of Representatives has currently put that plan on hold.

As for the corn industry, last year more corn was used for ethanol production than food or agriculture, something that many are curious to watch change – or not – not that federal subsidies for the biofuel are going away.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/multi-bi...e-of-2011.html

The following 2 users liked this post by phee:
Legend2TL (12-28-2011), PortlandRL (01-04-2012)
Old 12-27-2011, 08:30 PM
My first Avatar....

It's about effin time!
Old 12-27-2011, 08:31 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,140 Likes on 4,807 Posts
I hope they dont renew (if they can). I cant stand ethanol.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:33 PM
I got the Shifts

Doesn't look like it will renew for 2012. I hope this is the end of this crap
Old 12-28-2011, 01:09 AM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
So no E15 gas in the future? Can we go back to pure gas?
Old 12-28-2011, 01:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by AZuser
So no E15 gas in the future? Can we go back to pure gas?
^ agree or E05! I want less ethanol in our gas! With current gas, I need to run fuel cleaner through my 760's gas tank every 3 tank-fulls to keep my fuel pump from spitting out fault codes from the gunk that builds up on it!

Ethanol was bad from the get-go, killing our ocean (dead spot contributions), it making less energy than the energy required to grow it! Maybe farmers will start growing more crops and drop the prices of food slightly, like these expensive tomatoes!
Old 12-28-2011, 01:35 AM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Ever since going E10, I've noticed a loss of at least 5 MPG.

E5 would be nicer if we don't go back to pure gas.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:41 AM
AZ Community Team

Thank god, this will benefit all of us. Unless you grow corn
Old 12-28-2011, 07:44 AM
Quarterlife Crisis....

Received 108 Likes on 84 Posts
Gas prices gonna go up though?

I'd rather pay more for less ethanol
Old 12-28-2011, 01:21 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by gr8ness97
Gas prices gonna go up though?

I'd rather pay more for less ethanol
Who knows. Oil just hit $101 a barrel and gas here is as cheap as it's been in a year. It seems like there's no correlation between the price of gas and the cost of the commodities needed to manufacture it anymore ...

Quick Reply: Ethanol: News and Discussion Thread