End of the diesel era ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 04:10 AM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
End of the diesel era ?

Originally Posted by http://autoweek.com/article/diesel/will-mercedes-follow-vw-ditching-diesel-models
Will Mercedes follow VW in ditching diesel models?

Report: Daimler still in talks with EPA over 2017 diesels, faces Germany probe

April 14, 2017

Amid the tumult of the ongoing Volkswagen diesel crisis, now in its 20th month, it's easy to overlook the scandal's fallout on other automakers. As of April 2017, Mercedes-Benz parent company Daimler still has not obtained approval from the EPA to offer 2017 model-year diesel vehicles in the U.S., Reuters reports; Mercedes-Benz engineers are still in talks with the EPA a year after the agency asked Daimler to investigate the emissions certification process for its diesels.Reuters now reports Mercedes is still on the fence about obtaining the EPA certification for its 2017 diesels at all. Mercedes executives indicate they haven't made a decision, and they're not commenting on the specifics of the talks with the agency.Diesel sales have traditionally accounted for 2 to 3 percent of Mercedes' total sales volume in the U.S.; in Europe and other markets, this percentage is significantly higher, along with the variety of models offered with diesel engines (nearly all).In contrast to Volkswagen, the EPA is not withholding approval from Mercedes-Benz, and the automaker does not stand accused of anything in relation to diesel vehicles and their emission-control systems. The variety of BlueTEC clean diesel models Mercedes offers in the U.S. and Canada has varied in recent years: After reaching a low point in the 1990s when only the E-Class and the S-Class were offered with diesel engines, the GLS-Class and GLE-Class utilities have been headlining the diesel lineup in recent years.As late as fall 2016, Mercedes still planned to add diesel C-Class and GLC-Class vehicles to its stateside lineup in mid-2017, badged C300d and GLC300d to go up against diesel versions of the BMW 3-Series and X3, but the decision was halted pending EPA talks.

The Reuters report follows the March 2017 launch of an investigation in Germany into whether Daimler employees committed fraud and engaged in false advertising in connection with diesel vehicles. In response, Daimler has stated it is cooperating with the investigation, and the German transport ministry has not revoked or withheld any permits for its diesel models in Germany.

Read more: Will new Mercedes diesels ever be available in the U.S. again?
Looking back, Honda was really smart not to import any diesel vehicles into the North American market.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 360 Likes on 319 Posts
I think VW was doing great with their diesel cars at least here in PA until they started screwing with the EPA so I think Honda would have done just as good if not better with some diesel options.

I drove a few 1.9 and 2.0 liter diesel Jetta's and for being a 4 cylinder I really liked how it performed (torque was nice)
Old 04-17-2017, 01:32 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by Jakes_tl
I think VW was doing great with their diesel cars at least here in PA until they started screwing with the EPA so I think Honda would have done just as good if not better with some diesel options.

I drove a few 1.9 and 2.0 liter diesel Jetta's and for being a 4 cylinder I really liked how it performed (torque was nice)
I can't help but think Honda was struggling to meet a metric VW was cheating to make.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:22 AM
99 TL, 06 E350

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts
VW stopped selling TDI in Canada. They no longer I have TDI on their Canada website.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:53 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Originally Posted by kurtatx
I can't help but think Honda was struggling to meet a metric VW was cheating to make.
Yea...I think this is more like it...
The following users liked this post:
kurtatx (04-18-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 09:50 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
I'm surprised there's not some easing of regs from Trump on this issue - probably because other than the Cruze diesel and much larger truck ones, no domestic maker in the mix.

Biker, who thinks CARB and EPA has done a great disservice to the US public by killing diesels.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:44 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by biker
I'm surprised there's not some easing of regs from Trump on this issue - probably because other than the Cruze diesel and much larger truck ones, no domestic maker in the mix.

Biker, who thinks CARB and EPA has done a great disservice to the US public by killing diesels.
Consumer trust in diesel is kind of shattered and big oil produces twice as much gasoline per barrel as diesel fuel. It's certainly possible Trump could lift regs, but the damage is somewhat done on that front.