Edmund's $50k AWD luxury sport-sedan Comparo...surprise ending...

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 02:53 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by phile
^^^^ When I first saw pics of the GS's gauge, I really liked them, reminded me of the excellent ones found on the Aston Martin DB9. But then I saw it in person and the plastic 'pod' surround just cheapens it. The metal-backed gauges didn't light up as nicely as I thought it would. The only thing I pretty much liked about it was the lit up needle; even the metal face plate wasn't as impressive. In summary it's just the regular Lexus electroluminescent lighting with a metal face plate, as opposed to plastic. Not as colorful as the RL's.
Do they adjust to different lighting situations like i thought? That's kinda what did it for me. I never really noticed the pod
Old 08-10-2005, 10:17 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by SSMTL01
Do they adjust to different lighting situations like i thought? That's kinda what did it for me. I never really noticed the pod
No, the gauges do not adjust on their own, per se. The ECD instrumentation system on the GS relies on the plastic transparency on top of the gauges to adjust, thus reducing glare when light shines through the cabin at certain angles -but the gauges themselves do not brighten or dim on their own. It's actually a pretty neat trick (Lexus once again down to the details), but not enough to make me favor it over the more high tech looking gauges on the RL.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:25 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Cool Consumer Report

http://www.cnn.com/2005/AUTOS/carrev...eut/index.html
Infiniti M35 rated 'Best luxury sedan'
Consumer Reports magazine calls the sporty car from Nissan a "surprise."

August 9, 2005; Posted: 12:26 p.m. EDT (1626 GMT)

DETROIT (Reuters) - The sporty Infiniti M35 powered past its competitors to become what Consumer Reports, a leading source of information for U.S. car buyers, says is the best luxury sedan on the road today.

The "excellent" overall rating for the car from the luxury division of Nissan Motor Co. Ltd. is reported in the September issue of the magazine, which goes on sale Tuesday.

The Infiniti M35 was tested against four other models and each, as equipped, was priced at roughly $50,000. The other models were the redesigned Audi A6, the Cadillac STS, Acura RL and Lexus GS300.

"The surprise of this test group is the M35, which is now our top-rated (luxury) sedan. It even outscores all of our tested full-size premium luxury sedans," Consumer Reports says.

"This well-rounded car has a ride and handling suited for twisty roads as well as the boulevard," it adds, saying the car's many attributes include a powerful 280-horsepower V-6 engine, a roomy, well-finished interior and controls that are mostly user-friendly.

A 335-horsepower, V-8 power plant is an available option on the M35.

The A6 from Audi, a unit of Volkswagen AG, also got an "excellent" overall score from Consumer Reports. But it was faulted for "nonintuitive controls," its lack of an in-dash CD slot and unknown reliability. The previous A6 was not reliable, according to Consumer Reports.

Of the five vehicles tested, Consumer Reports said all but the Cadillac STS, from General Motors Corp., and the Audi A6 warranted inclusion on its closely watched "recommended" list.

Consumer Reports said the reliability of the STS, which replaces Cadillac's Seville sedan, was still unknown. It praised many aspects of the car, but said the material quality of its interior was "not as luxurious as the leaders in the class."

The Infiniti M35 replaces the Lexus LS430 -- which sells for about $70,000 -- as Consumer Reports' top-rated luxury sedan.

The magazine said the GS300, from Toyota Motor Corp.'s luxury division, was refined and expected to be quite reliable. But it added that the car's steering lacks feel, passenger room is tight, and it is not an agile vehicle.

"It's not the luxury sport sedan Lexus pitches; we didn't find it particularly exciting to drive," Consumer Reports said.

Of the Acura RL, the latest offering from the luxury arm of Honda Motor Co. Ltd., the magazine complained that it was not particularly sporty to drive. It also said the RL was no roomier than the Acura TL, which costs about $16,000 less.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:41 PM
Burning Brakes

i can't dislike any of those cars...
Old 08-10-2005, 02:44 PM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats a pretty big recommendation for Infiniti saying the m35 replaces the ls430 as the top rated luxury sedan.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:04 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by phile
No, the gauges do not adjust on their own, per se. The ECD instrumentation system on the GS relies on the plastic transparency on top of the gauges to adjust, thus reducing glare when light shines through the cabin at certain angles -but the gauges themselves do not brighten or dim on their own. It's actually a pretty neat trick (Lexus once again down to the details), but not enough to make me favor it over the more high tech looking gauges on the RL.

Thanks I think I'd take an m45 out of all of them, just for the power- and it looks sick in black on the 19's with some tint