Dodge: Hornet News

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 10:33 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Dodge: Hornet News

2006 Geneva Motor Show: Dodge Hornet Concept
Source: Chrysler Group

What They Said: "We wanted the Hornet to be dynamic, nimble, fun to drive, and have an adaptable space-efficient interior."

What It Means: Hmmm...we can't find anything wrong with this statement because they didn't mention looks. Slick.

Full Release: Geneva, Switzerland - Rallye-ready and eager to go, the new Dodge Hornet concept vehicle is designed to bring to the B-segment market a unique blending of European sensibility regarding engine size and overall footprint with an American flare for aggressive attitude and flexible interior space.

"We wanted the Hornet to be dynamic, nimble, fun to drive, and have an adaptable space-efficient interior," said Mark Moushegian, principal exterior designer. "At the same time we set out to create a vehicle with a uniquely American character to expand the image and presence of the Dodge brand in Europe and international markets, especially in the entry-level market."

"We went for a rallye-inspired look-robust, capable, and most definitely not 'cutesy.' We wanted a distinct 'edge' to the design. We especially wanted to push the envelope of interior volume. That's why the Hornet is almost as wide as a C-segment vehicle," Moushegian continued. Consequently the Hornet's chunky, wheels-to-the-corner silhouette imparts the fun of assertive motoring to even the most mundane of errands.

With its wide stance, the Hornet is solidly planted on the road. Up front, the signature Dodge crossbar grille is set above an exposed engine intercooler flanked by front brake air ducts and fog lamps. The raised plateau on the hood features a recessed scoop on the driver's side to funnel air to the engine air box. Underhood is a 1.6L 16-valve OHC supercharged I/C four-cylinder engine putting out 127 kW (170 hp)/224 N m (165 lb.-ft.) of torque @ 4000 rpm.

The muscular side view is dominated by the large 19-inch diameter open-section aluminum wheels designed to show off the "mechanicals," including the gold-colored brake calipers. The arching wheel flares and notched sill are complemented by curving body surfaces that "spear out" into the full front and rear opposed half-doors which, in section, are quite shallow so as to maximize the interior space. The framed doors open to reveal the absence of a B-pillar, while the three-window side glass terminates in a dynamic wedge-shaped quarter window.

Inspired by the look of fashion sunglasses, all the glass in the vehicle, including the oversize sunroof, is rendered in a deep "Blue View" tint which contrasts vividly with the car's Liquid Silver exterior.

"The idea is that the car would be available in a limited number of colors," Moushegian said. "The customer selects the contrasting glass color of his or her choice as an accent." Inspired by the legendary Dodge Viper, dual "skunk stripes" in Beryllium Gray boldly traverse the hood, roof, overhanging rear defuser wing and the liftgate, including the "sky view" sunroof which offers a panoramic outlook overhead for both front and rear passengers.

Set in matte metallic gray tiered bezels and grouped under clear covers, all exterior lamps share a common "mechanical" style vocabulary that features prominent circular elements plus "triple orange slice" front and rear turn signals. Similar repeater lamps are set into the side mirrors which also incorporate auxiliary rallye lamps. The circular theme is reprised by three-inch diameter dual exhaust tips propelled through the rear chin spoiler.

"Like the exterior, the interior is geared around young rallye enthusiasts," said John Sodano, principal interior designer. "Our intention was to maximize the interior volume by pushing all interior surfaces to the perimeter of the vehicle as much as possible. I studied images of space capsule interiors, since they are designed for high efficiency in a limited space. I wanted the Hornet inside to have a functional, 'engineered' look, but with pleasing surfaces and materials."

Extreme flexibility also is central to the sporty interior. The space-saving foam seats are exceptionally slim but comfortable, with the striking satin-silver finished aluminum framing deliberately exposed. Seat bolsters are covered in a smooth, black urethane-coated fabric while a black, fine-woven textured Pique cloth is used on the cushion and back inserts. Belts are integral with the seats.

Good-looking as they are, the seats' real beauty lies in their adaptability. Both the passenger front bucket seat and the 40-60 three-passenger rear seats fold forward and collapse to the floor to provide a flat load bed. To facilitate this, the headrests fold forward to stow between the seat back and cushion. The cabin floor is covered with an attractive and durable honeycomb-texture rubber.

In addition, the rear seats also flip rearward to stow in back, flush with the liftgate sill. This position provides for the highest possible vertical storage behind the front seats. When upright, the rear seats track rearwards to provide an additional 225 mm of legroom for rear seat passengers. Accessible to passengers regardless of the fore-aft seat position, overlong grab bars are mounted high on each rear quarter and also serve as clothes hangar racks.

The crisp black and slate gray interior is designed for both style and utility, with surfaces having a disciplined, space-saving planar look. The driver's door trim panel, for example, contains a first aid kit, open storage bin, and a closed case with carrying handle that can be removed from the car. The passenger door boasts both open and closed bins plus a longer open bin with bungee cords to retain stowed items. All bins are removable and can be easily rearranged to suit each customer's requirements. Moreover, the designers envision the Hornet as a vehicle that can be easily customized through the purchase of add-on exterior and interior parts and accessories, allowing owners to personalize their cars to express individual needs and desires.

Both front doors also have a hinged storage pocket just above the remote handle. The driver's side rear door contains a handy beverage cooler while the door opposite boasts a fold-out table module. On all doors, cloth-covered armrests with integral pull cups are underlined by narrow satin silver moldings while side air bags are concealed in the Pique cloth bolsters.

Designed to accommodate both left- and right-hand drive, the modular instrument panel features twin horizontal Pique cloth wrapover pads divided by a satin silver center stack topped by a fixed navigation screen with non-glare glass. The pads front shallow open storage trays directly ahead of the driver and front seat passenger, with storage for smaller items provided in divided bins below. The center stack also accommodates large, easy-to-use entertainment and heating, ventilating and air-conditioning system controls whose circular elements mimic the exterior lamp detailing, "because," explains Sodano," we sought to create a common style architecture for the exterior and interior." Ten spherical speakers in varying sizes are supplied in the cabin, two on each front door and three on each quarter panel.

The three-circle, six-gauge delta-shaped instrument binnacle with attached hood moves with the steering column while the steering wheel itself features a textured, molded rubber rim and three "tuning fork" spokes that echo the exterior wheels. A freestanding cantilevered center armrest "floats" over the front floor console, pivoting downward to permit unfettered access to the six-speed manual shift lever during aggressive driving.

Tough, brash and eager to be off, the Dodge Hornet concept vehicle brings to the competitive entry-level B-segment market an ideal combination of American fun and European function.

Dodge Hornet Concept Specifications

Weight and Dimensions
Vehicle Weight (est.): 1409 kg. (3100 lbs.)
Length: 3846 mm (151.4 in.)
Wheelbase: 2534 mm (99.8 in.)
Front Overhang: 680 mm (26.8 in.)
Rear Overhang: 632 mm (25.0 in.)
Width: 1932 mm (76.1 in.)
Height: 1566 mm (61.6 in.)
Track Front/Rear: 60.0 in. /60.0 in.
Approach/Depart: Angle 19.2 degrees/25.9 degrees
Turn circle: 10.7 m (35.4 ft.
) Couple: 751 mm (29.6 in.)

Powertrain and Suspension
Engine: 1.6L 16-valve, OHC Supercharged, I/C
127 kW (170 hp SAE) @ 4000 rpm
224 N m (165 lb.-ft.) @ 4000 rpm
Drivetrain: Front-wheel Drive, 6-speed manual
Suspension: Front: Macpherson Strut
Rear: Semi-Independent

Wheels/Tires

Tire Size Front/Rear: P185/50R19 668 mm (26.3 in.)
Wheel Size Front/Rear: 19" x 6.5"

Estimated Performance
0-97 km/h (0-60 mph) : 6.7 sec.
Top speed: 209 km/h (130 mph)
Old 02-15-2006, 11:12 AM
Certified Lurker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stupiditiy
Old 02-15-2006, 11:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Omg. If thats the new PT frame...no. Nononono. Not another FWD

But the 6 speed is sweet.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:37 AM
Holdin it down for MS

Bangle...front?

I can't be the only one that sees it.

The hood and headlight area looks like the trunk/taillight area of the 7 series.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:46 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

More on Dodge's answer to the MINI Cooper.....
Dodge will introduce its first European-style supermini at the Geneva Motor Show this month.

Although the Hornet is officially only a concept car to mark Dodge's wide-scale introduction to European markets this summer, the people behind it are not ruling out the possibility of building a less-radical production version.

Dodge's partner companies Mitsubishi or Smart could be recruited to help make the car a showroom reality if there is sufficient interest.

The Hornet was inspired by European rally cars as well as by the Mini. It is powered by a compact, four-cylinder, 1.6-litre supercharged engine developing 170bhp and 165lb ft of pull, so it could easily take smaller power units, including turbodiesels.

With the supercharged engine under the bonnet the Hornet is good for 0-60mph in 6.7sec and a top speed of 130mph.

At just over 3.8 metres long, it is slightly larger than a Mini, but almost as wide as cars a class bigger, such as the Ford Focus. The concept car features front and rear doors which open in opposite directions, similar to those on the Mazda RX-8 coupe.

The interior can be adapted to left- or right-hand drive, while the gauges are similar to those on performance motorcycles. Slim seats make it spacious despite its compact length, and those at the rear slide and fold flat. The front passenger seat also folds in half.

There is a variety of open and closed storage spaces packed into the doors, some of which are removable. The designers envisage a series of add-on interior components to suit different lifestyles.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,649 Likes on 13,889 Posts
I find it kinda cute. Wouldn't buy one. But, still...wouldn't force it off the road either if I was in a tank.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumchah
I find it kinda cute. Wouldn't buy one. But, still...wouldn't force it off the road either if I was in a tank.
But wait, there's more... it's transforms into a robot !!
Old 02-15-2006, 12:11 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

If I had a tank I'd force everyone off the road!!!!! (except for the Zonda of course)
Old 02-15-2006, 12:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
If I had a tank I'd force everyone off the road!!!!! (except for the Zonda of course)
That's cuz you're a bully.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:01 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
that looks cool
Old 02-15-2006, 03:04 PM
Safety Car

Would be a cool design to go against the Scion Xb.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:23 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

Looks like a Dodge xA
Old 02-15-2006, 05:42 PM
Safety Car

It's absolutely no worse than the ugly ass xA. The first thought that came to mind when seeing it was a Mini.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:25 PM
Safety Car

Old 02-15-2006, 07:28 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

INteresting.
I doubt that it'll end up looking close to that, but it's a very interesting Dodge Xa
Old 02-15-2006, 07:43 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
I would buy it.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:41 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Genius interior!
Too bad Dodge's production cars don't get such great designs.
All that interior concept is very doable. Hope it makes it to production.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:59 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
I really want to rag on this car..but that concept does indeed do great things with the interior.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:32 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by The Sarlacc
I really want to rag on this car..but that concept does indeed do great things with the interior.
Agreed - it's not bad.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by heyitsme
Would be a cool design to go against the Scion Xb.

Weight and Dimensions
Vehicle Weight (est.): 1409 kg. (3100 lbs.)
Length: 3846 mm (151.4 in.)
Wheelbase: 2534 mm (99.8 in.)
Front Overhang: 680 mm (26.8 in.)
Rear Overhang: 632 mm (25.0 in.)
Width: 1932 mm (76.1 in.)
Height: 1566 mm (61.6 in.)
Track Front/Rear: 60.0 in. /60.0 in.
Approach/Depart: Angle 19.2 degrees/25.9 degrees
Turn circle: 10.7 m (35.4 ft.
) Couple: 751 mm (29.6 in.)

Powertrain and Suspension
Engine: 1.6L 16-valve, OHC Supercharged, I/C
127 kW (170 hp SAE) @ 4000 rpm
224 N m (165 lb.-ft.) @ 4000 rpm
Drivetrain: Front-wheel Drive, 6-speed manual
Suspension: Front: Macpherson Strut
Rear: Semi-Independent

Wheels/Tires

Tire Size Front/Rear: P185/50R19 668 mm (26.3 in.)
Wheel Size Front/Rear: 19" x 6.5"

Estimated Performance
0-97 km/h (0-60 mph) : 6.7 sec.
Top speed: 209 km/h (130 mph)
Performance estimates seem optimistic though.

Last edited by SpeedyV6; 02-15-2006 at 11:08 PM.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:33 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Mini's in trouble
Old 02-16-2006, 10:52 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by gavriil
Mini's in trouble
I don't agree. Very different cars in a lot of ways and certainly the people looking at Minis are looking for a certain panache that the Hornet will not offer based upon these pics.

It does remind me of a Renault though. I think it's a good idea to replace the Neon with this along with the Caliber.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:59 AM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
No thanks.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:20 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
i think it is cool!
Old 03-05-2006, 09:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
I'd replace my box with it!
Old 03-05-2006, 09:44 PM
Burning Brakes

I kinda like it, though I think being stuck with the Dodge cross hair grille compromised what could be a better design.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:40 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Hornet's Nest - - Chrysler picks 3 to vie for Hornet production; VW, 2 unnamed automakers are possible partners - - By MARY CONNELLY | AUTOMOTIVE NEWS - - Source: Autoweek

DETROIT -- The Chrysler group has narrowed its choices to three potential joint-venture partners to build the Dodge Hornet subcompact for the United States.

"There are probably three real players at this point," Eric Ridenour, Chrysler group COO, told Automotive News in an interview Tuesday, May 2.

"One or two are stronger than the other," he said. "Some of the talks are moving along very well."

A decision is likely by year end, Ridenour said.

Volkswagen is one candidate, Chrysler has said. Asian and European automakers are candidates, Ridenour said.

The Hornet concept was unveiled at the Geneva auto show in March. It is an entry-level, front-drive five-door hatchback for the United States, Europe and possibly elsewhere.

It would be priced below the Dodge Caliber. The Caliber has a $13,985 sticker price, including shipping.

Chrysler wants to field a vehicle in the sub-Caliber category, Ridenour said. But the challenge is making a profit.

"We always knew we would like to have a vehicle in that segment," he said. "But we always said it had to be a profitable vehicle."

Ridenour said the joint-venture partner is "most likely already building in that segment somewhere in the world and understands what it takes to be profitable."
Old 05-08-2006, 11:38 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

^^ With the Hornet being priced at less than 13k, I highly doubt it will compete directly with the MINI Cooper. For that price, Chrysler will have to sacrifice alot in terms of performance and handling...in order to keep the price low.

I'd like to see them up the price and compete with the MINI.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:54 AM
Senior Moderator

^^ With the Hornet being priced at less than 13k, I highly doubt it will compete directly with the MINI Cooper. For that price, Chrysler will have to sacrifice alot in terms of performance and handling...in order to keep the price low.

I'd like to see them up the price and compete with the MINI.
Well, then you'd have a question of a Chrysler or a Mini if you were a buyer. And gee...what would YOUR choice be considering the two?

(really tough choice, ain't it...? )
Old 05-08-2006, 12:30 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Well, then you'd have a question of a Chrysler or a Mini if you were a buyer. And gee...what would YOUR choice be considering the two?

(really tough choice, ain't it...? )
Competition in the industry = better cars.
If MINI owns the market, they have little incentive to innovate.
If Chrysler was competition to MINI...then MINI would have to push the limits.

That being said, Chrysler vs BMW is really no contest.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Competition in the industry = better cars.
If MINI owns the market, they have little incentive to innovate.
If Chrysler was competition to MINI...then MINI would have to push the limits.

That being said, Chrysler vs BMW is really no contest.
Well, in terms of looks, it's arguable.

from the BMW/Bangle apologists.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:17 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Well, in terms of looks, it's arguable.

from the BMW/Bangle apologists.
If Batboy likes the design....Who am I to argue with him?!?!?
Old 06-11-2008, 11:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Update from WCF...

Consumers are looking to buy smaller cars these days forcing many of the world's automakers to focus development into the smaller models and it appears Chrysler is no different. According to a report by Financial Times Deutschland development is underway for an all new compact car based on the Dodge Hornet concept car (pictured) which was first presented at the 2006 Geneva Motor Show.

The new model is likely to be launched in a number of worldwide markets including United States and Europe with the initial unveiling expected sometime next year ready for a 2010 launch.

Thomas Hausch, vice president for international purchasing said “We are working intensely on the Hornet study and I think we will announce something on this in the future.” He also refused to rule out the possibility the Chrysler brand will build an even smaller economy model that would slot in below the 2-liter Sebring.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 06-11-2008, 11:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 06-12-2008, 12:09 AM
Happy Holidays!

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
That off-centered hood vent bothers me for some reason.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:54 AM
how handsome I am

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I likes. I likes alot. I wonder what a production version would look like?
Old 06-12-2008, 01:45 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
Dodge Xb?
Old 06-12-2008, 02:57 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Thats kinda cool, I like how Chrysler is being innovative with their new vehicles. Now if only they could all have interiors that looked like that, along with the inherent utility of such a design, instead of being all blocky and cheap looking.

95% of people who own SUVs/crossovers hardly even need/use the additional ground clearance over a wagon/hatchback anyway.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:52 AM
99 TL, 06 E350

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by biker
Dodge Xb?
Yeh that. Toyota: Been there, done that.

Quick Reply: Dodge: Hornet News