Dodge: Cross-Hair Grille No More

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 12:54 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Dodge: Cross-Hair Grille No More

Chrysler’s Dodge brand has long been known for its signature cross-hair grille, but that styling cue will be put to rest in the coming years as the Dodge brand further separates itself from the newly minted Ram truck division.

Dodge’s new batch of 2011 model year vehicles still sport the brand’s cross-hair grille, but Dodge CEO Ralph Gilles says the division will be “going a different way” as far as front-end styling is concerned.

“We did as much as we could with the split cross-hair grille,” Gilles said. “We had to be careful because the cooling work was pretty much done when we decided to rebrand the vehicles. That will continue evolving over time.”

Gilles failed to give a timeframe for the new-look Dodge, but confirmed the Ram truck brand would be retaining the cross-hair grille styling cue. “The Ram brand, the truck look they have, they own it,” he said.
http://www.leftlanenews.com/dodge-to...ir-grille.html

Smart move....not that the design was necessarily bad....but rather we knew this was coming.

3-5 years from now Chrysler - Dodge vehicles will be quite a bit different....and that is a great thing!

Keep thinking and innovating
Old 02-15-2011, 11:27 AM
Corn-Fed Mule

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
http://www.leftlanenews.com/dodge-to...ir-grille.html

Smart move....not that the design was necessarily bad....but rather we knew this was coming.

3-5 years from now Chrysler - Dodge vehicles will be quite a bit different....and that is a great thing!

Keep thinking and innovating
I would have to disagree...the Europeans have grilles that have become trademarks for their lineup (BMW, Mercedes, Alfa, etc)....why can't Dodge/Chrysler/Domestics do the same? This goes back to my argument of building equity in something, be it a model name or a grille...
Old 02-15-2011, 12:35 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by jim165
I would have to disagree...the Europeans have grilles that have become trademarks for their lineup (BMW, Mercedes, Alfa, etc)....why can't Dodge/Chrysler/Domestics do the same? This goes back to my argument of building equity in something, be it a model name or a grille...
"If you can do it right, then yes.....but very few can.

But many do it wrong. Take Acura for instance.....stuck with that horrible power plenum beak.

IMHO Mercedes Benz, and BMW have pretty much been the only ones that have done a good job...with MB using the star, and BMW using the kidney grilles.

The logo/icon or grille design has to be one that lends itself well to a multitude of designs.

I find the Dodge grille "limits" designs.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:18 PM
The Third Ball

Received 5,079 Likes on 2,696 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
"If you can do it right, then yes.....but very few can.

But many do it wrong. Take Acura for instance.....stuck with that horrible power plenum beak.

IMHO Mercedes Benz, and BMW have pretty much been the only ones that have done a good job...with MB using the star, and BMW using the kidney grilles.

The logo/icon or grille design has to be one that lends itself well to a multitude of designs.

I find the Dodge grille "limits" designs.
I'll agree. While I think the new charger looks absolutely amazing...I think other options than the cross hair might have opened up for the design.

I like that Gilles wants to keep the grille for the trucks. Help give the Ram brand a stand alone identity.

I for one am happy they nixxed the cross hair in the challenger from the concept.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 170 Likes on 102 Posts
I agree as well. It works for larger, masculine designs, but smaller vehicles like the Caliber or even the Avenger, not so much.

In today's fuel-efficient automotive environment, this smallest Dodge neither looks efficient nor particularly attractive...the basic + grille just makes these vehicles look plain and unfortunately cheap...

Old 02-15-2011, 05:06 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
Smart of them to keep it on the Ram. Very smart.