Notices

Dodge: Charger News

Old 02-09-2011, 09:58 PM
I love me some Curry...!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
damn.... I want one.....
Old 02-09-2011, 10:34 PM

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,334 Posts
Hmmm. Exterior-styling wise, I think I like the old SRT8 Charger more as well. The lines on the back bumper look like they're just bisecting each other randomly, and that indent on the doors still bothers me. I still like the interior, but man oh man that "snout" on the front just protrudes too much. Maybe it's just the angle of the pic, but...

Old 02-09-2011, 10:39 PM
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sometimes the hating on this forum is just comical.

It looks great to me. As close as you can get to a 4 door muscle car.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:47 PM
The Third Ball

Received 3,796 Likes on 2,020 Posts
The "dent" in the door is very much a throw back...I believe Mopar will make a indent "cover" that is also throwback.

This car has a very different presence in person. Its very muscular and powerful. I love the way the front end comes out at you, very agressive. The back end looks awesome in real life. And I've only seen the RT....I LOVE what they are doing with the SRT.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:00 PM

I have no problem with the indent itself, I actually like that styling cue (along with fender vents/openings like on a Viper). My issue is with the positioning of it.... seems they put it way too far back.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:03 PM
The Third Ball

Ah...I get that
Old 02-09-2011, 11:06 PM

A car like this probably needs to be seen in person though. I never truly sensed the road presence of the previous gen Charger and current Challenger until I saw them in person

Like when I saw a blue Super Bee on the highway the other day.... damn
Old 02-10-2011, 06:22 AM
Registered Member

Received 111 Likes on 88 Posts
Both are mated to the proven W5A580 five-speed automatic transmission, allowing a choice of spirited shifting on the road and the racetrack.
I guess their 6 AT nor the new 9 DCT ZF tranny are ready for this much power.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:23 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,876 Likes on 1,296 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarlacc View Post
This is a different interior and takes some getting used to, I wasnt in love with it. But when I saw it in person I actually liked it a lot. I first saw it with the actual designer there. Its a retro style from the 70 charger. The aluminum is all real. The seats are VERY supportive and comfy (RT anyway, SRT is probably even better) The materials are top notch, even better than the challenger...they are moving in the right direction. I like this design, its not you typical boring waterfall dash with too many buttons that has become the running trend.

The SRT looks freaking amazing...I dare say even more menacing than the Challenger.
Perhaps that's it: The retro 70's design language does not translate well to the modern age.

I'm sure the materials are of good quality, but it's the design that just does not go well with the exterior design.

The interior has the look of what I would expect if I got a Buick rental car 6 years ago at the local Enterprise rent-a-car.

It needs a more modern sporty looking interior to match what the car is....IMHO.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:47 PM
Banned

Received 959 Likes on 593 Posts
That red one is hot.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:20 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,408 Likes on 874 Posts
I know it's just me but every time I see that new Charger SRT-8 I think they took a Charger and a GT-R and mashed them together. And not in a good way.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:50 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by biker View Post
I guess their 6 AT nor the new 9 DCT ZF tranny are ready for this much power.
It was always in the plan for the NEXT MY to get the newer trans...probably supply/distro constrains.

I think the SRT line is set for an 8spd.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:51 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S View Post
Perhaps that's it: The retro 70's design language does not translate well to the modern age.

I'm sure the materials are of good quality, but it's the design that just does not go well with the exterior design.

The interior has the look of what I would expect if I got a Buick rental car 6 years ago at the local Enterprise rent-a-car.

It needs a more modern sporty looking interior to match what the car is....IMHO.
I get it. I felt same way initially with the Charger til I saw it in person. It works...for me anyway.

But I love the interior of my Challenger...and most people here hate the actual design.

I like minimalism.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:56 PM
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I applaud the new(er) interior and overall tweaks, but as someone who has always admired and wanted a Charger SRT-8, I can't help but think the rear 3/4 is a step backwards. I liked the previous hump and thought it gave the vehicle character.

Overall, the 2011 is a step forward, but while I like the new retro horizontal taillights (much better than the Intrepid-esque lamps), I wish they had kept a sleeker rear with the signature hump

Old 02-10-2011, 04:11 PM
The Third Ball

Trust me. That rear deck/hump is very much there. I think it actually sticks out more in person. It's like a table.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:28 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 218 Likes on 154 Posts
I like it, but the C pillar could be cleaned up a bit, and the interior is close. Still looks like minivan HVAC controls. If that's the worst thing I could find then Chrysler is doing pretty good.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:34 AM
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Saw a new Charger (not SRT-8) yesterday in a parking lot. The design is much more successful in person. The taillights alone give the car 100x more character. Nice job Chrysler.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:37 AM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by Type34 View Post
Saw a new Charger (not SRT-8) yesterday in a parking lot. The design is much more successful in person. The taillights alone give the car 100x more character. Nice job Chrysler.
See...in person that car has presence..."fuck you im a badass" presence.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:35 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,408 Likes on 874 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarlacc View Post
See...in person that car has presence..."fuck you im a badass" presence.
No it doesn't unless you're completely willing to overlook what a styling catastrophe it is. I've seen it in person twice at recent auto shows and the front is ok (if you get past the GT-R homage) and so is the back but the rest is just a ham-handed assortment of styling cues without any kind of direction at all.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to read that there were disparate groups working on the design of the car and ideas from both were incorporated into the new Charger.

You've turned into the SSFTSX of MOPAR and I don't understand why.

They're releasing new models and putting in old engines and old transmissions for one year and then releasing cars again next year with the latest parts. Completely inexplicable and it's going to create ill will for anyone who bought a Chrysler/Dodge this year.

The only way a corporation is going to get better is to hold them accountable for mistakes ... Making excuses and being an apologist for those mistakes gets you what American automobile manufacturers have been for the last 40 years.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:51 AM
Banned

Received 959 Likes on 593 Posts
Originally Posted by charliemike View Post
No it doesn't unless you're completely willing to overlook what a styling catastrophe it is. I've seen it in person twice at recent auto shows and the front is ok (if you get past the GT-R homage) and so is the back but the rest is just a ham-handed assortment of styling cues without any kind of direction at all.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to read that there were disparate groups working on the design of the car and ideas from both were incorporated into the new Charger.

They're releasing new models and putting in old engines and old transmissions for one year and then releasing cars again next year with the latest parts. Completely inexplicable and it's going to create ill will for anyone who bought a Chrysler/Dodge this year.

The only way a corporation is going to get better is to hold them accountable for mistakes ... Making excuses and being an apologist for those mistakes gets you what American automobile manufacturers have been for the last 40 years.
This post makes no sense whatsoever.

The front of the car is a refresh of the previous gen, and the rest of the car incorporates styling details from the circa-69 model.

As for copying the GT-R grille, so? I didn't hear complaints when Audi did it. Or Mitsubishi.

Putting old parts in, then new parts later. The entire auto industry called, wants to have a word.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:12 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by charliemike View Post

This is one of the most nonsensical blabbermouthed idiotic replies I've read in the last few days. And that is an accomplishment for you since you generally excel in this genre of posting.

But, there is a silver lining. Its amusing to see you think you know what you are talking about.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:33 AM
Registered Member

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...tream-models/1

Chrysler Group will put fuel-saving, performance-enhancing eight-speed automatic transmissions on some 2012 cars, making it first to use the costly, sophisticated gearboxes on mainstream vehicles.

It is announcing today that V-6 models of its 2012 Dodge Charger (and mechanically similar but premium-price Chrysler 300) will have the eight-speeds. The full-size sedans had five-speed automatics for 2011. Hemi V-8 models will continue to have five-speeds.

Fuel-economy ratings jump dramatically. The 2012 rear-drive Charger, on sale later this month, is rated 19 miles per gallon in town, 31 mpg on the highway, 23 in combined driving. The 2011 was rated 18/27/21.

The new highway mileage ratings for the big Dodge are the same as for much smaller compacts and subcompacts such as the Nissan Sentra and Volkswagen Golf and Jetta. The smaller cars have better city and combined numbers, however.

The Charger V-6 models with eight-speeds and all-wheel drive are rated 18/27/21 mpg, up from 17/23/19 for the last V-6 Charger available with all-wheel drive, the 2010 model.

A search of the government fuel-economy ratings turns up no other large car with better mileage.

A key rival, Ford's Taurus sedan, is rated 18/28/22 with front-drive and 17/25/20 with all-wheel drive.

High-end makers Lexus, BMW, Mercedes-Benz and others have been using eight-speed gearboxes for several years, but none have been fitted to normal family cars.

"It demonstrates how quickly things in the rarefied air of luxury cars can make their way into mainstream cars for you and me," says Jack Nerad, executive market analyst at Kelly Blue Book's kbb.com. Driving the move is fuel efficiency, he says. "As we go to higher and higher fuel economy standards we're going to see all kinds of technology being used to get there."

It's Chrysler's second driveline coup:

The 2005 Chrysler 300 V-8 was the first car to use fuel-saving cylinder shut-off technology (though General Motors had it on pickups earlier). It cuts fuel to half the cylinders at light loads.

GM and Ford Motor plan eight-speeds for some 2013 models. GM said in May that it will invest $204 million at its Toledo transmission plant to build them.

Mainstream brand Hyundai uses an eight-speed, but only on its premium $35,000 to $48,000 Genesis sedan. Dodge Chargers with eight-speeds run about $27,000 to $$38,000.

Using eight speeds, or gear ratios, instead of the common five or six, allows more overdrive ratios that save fuel at highway speeds while still having enough lower gear for low-speed performance.

It also allows smaller steps between gears as a car accelerates or decelerates, meaning "an eight-speed seems smoother, if it's done right," Nerad says.

But eight-speeds are costly. Having decided to put them into the mainstream, automakers will use them on as many models as possible to bring down the unit cost, as well as to increase mileage ratings.

Chrysler Group also is developing nine-speed automatics for its smaller front-drive models, according to Mircea Gradu, vice president of driveline engineering, but the company won't say when to expect those.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:34 AM
Registered Member

Interesting that the 9 DCT will be for smaller FWD platforms.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:40 AM
Registered Member

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...tor/50208476/1

Chrysler Group is introducing a spanking new eight-speed automatic transmission on V-6 versions of the 2012 Dodge Charger (and the mechanically similar Chrysler 300) that go on sale this month.

Big whoop, you chide. Tell us interesting stuff about the car.

OK. It has an eight-speed automatic transmission.

And boy, does that make all the difference. The Charger, as did many Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep models, got a makeover for the 2011 model year. But so many updates are arriving on 2012 models that 2011 is kind of a lost year. It almost seems as if Chrysler ought to apologize to buyers of 2011 models for giving them half loaves.

The eight-speed that you now get standard on all but the very base Charger SE V-6 models (and it's a $1,000 option on that one) replaces a five-speed that depressed the performance and hurt the fuel economy of the 2011 Charger and 300.

It's hard to put into words how much better the 2012 drives, feels, flings and fuels than the 2011, but let's try.

Wow.

For the practical-minded who believe cars have no soul, no identity, no chemistry, get this:

The new transmission gives the car better low-speed scoot (making less-tedious that stop-go routine most of us must abide). It takes small steps up through its gear ratios so the engine never sags and leaves you wishing you'd bought the 5.7-liter Hemi V-8 instead. The V-8 continues to use a five-speed. It's scheduled to get an eight-speed in the future, but Chrysler won't say when.

The eight-speed finds the just-so gear if your olfactory sense requires you to rocket past that hog-hauler on a rural two-lane road in hilly terrain. And it provides overdrive gears aplenty (the three top ratios are overdrive) so the car can cruise at naughty speeds while the engine loafs, thereby using little fuel.

How many "wins" is that? Win-win-win-win?

For the passion privileged among you: The 2012 drives like a dream.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:35 AM

A 9 speed auto for what I'm guessing are the economy cars (smaller FWD models)? I'm wondering how the price/weight will be on those.

The new 8-speed auto drives much better than the 5-speed? no way, that article is full of crap!

Meanwhile, Honda apologists look for more excuses to defend their deity...

Honda
Old 09-02-2011, 11:19 AM
My first Avatar....

Received 2,583 Likes on 1,507 Posts
If I were looking for a big sporty sedan...I'd have a Charger.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:52 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 808 Likes on 520 Posts
My buddy just grabbed an '11 R/T. WOW! I was surprised by this car. Looked great inside and out. I still don't know if I could rock a car this large as a DD, but damn Dodge makes a compelling case to want to buy a full-size RWD V8..... I'd be hard pressed to choose my G again with this car available. Even the interior materials seemed pretty good.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:02 AM
My first Avatar....

Received 2,583 Likes on 1,507 Posts
^ did you get wheel time?
What were the driving dynamics like?

Oh... whats up man?
Old 09-25-2011, 11:40 AM

Received 14,121 Likes on 10,496 Posts
I wish it were 6MT, I think I would pick this over the challenger if it were 6MT.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:39 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 808 Likes on 520 Posts
Originally Posted by pttl View Post
^ did you get wheel time?
What were the driving dynamics like?

Oh... whats up man?
Hey brother. I did actually. Moves effortlessly, pretty responsive and accurate steering. The car really felt quite a bit smaller then what it really is, but it won't let you forget it isn't a sport compact. Pretty "nimble." That G8 GXP I drove two years ago gave me a different feeling. Kind of like a cruiser weight to a heavy weight. Both pack a huge punch.

Interior was better then the G8. Some trim pieces on the Pontiac were coming apart, this Dodge seemed much more solid. Lots of tech with the navi and its accessories.

I dig it. I know you're looking at new cars this may fit the bill for ya.

With the dogs I can't have a coupe and I don't really want an SUV, this would be on my short list for a new car. Dunno if I could do almost 50K for an SRT8?

I need some seat time in a Genny Sedan next. 5.0 if they let me....
Originally Posted by justnspace View Post
I wish it were 6MT, I think I would pick this over the challenger if it were 6MT.
You know I don't mind this 5speed. Glad Acura made it to 6, but maybe I was just too excited to be driving this thing.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:41 AM
Registered Member

^ 8 AT for MY12 (except for SRT which will eventually get it).
Old 09-26-2011, 09:10 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 533 Likes on 445 Posts
^RT still has the 5AT; 8AT is only in the SXT.

SE - 5AT
SXT (2 trims) - 8AT
RT (4 trims) - 5AT
SRT - 5AT
Old 09-26-2011, 09:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,005 Likes on 2,085 Posts
Originally Posted by chill_dog View Post
^RT still has the 5AT; 8AT is only in the SXT.

SE - 5AT
SXT (2 trims) - 8AT
RT (4 trims) - 5AT
SRT - 5AT
Im sure they will all get it.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...ries-a-sting/1

Here's a Dodge Super Bee with some sting. Dodge is going to unveil the 2012 Charger SRT8 Super Bee at the Los Angeles Auto Show. This heritage model always creates a buzz.

"The 2012 Dodge Charger SRT8 Super Bee is a salute to the fun-loving past of Dodge muscle cars powered by the legendary 392 Hemi V-8 in a back-to-basics performance machine," says Ralph Gilles, CEO of Chrysler's SRT and Motorsports division.

That 6.1-liter V-8 puts out 425 horsepower.

Dodge says the new 'bee has a race-inspired interior with a three-spoke contoured steering wheel, exclusive Z-stripe cloth performance seats with yellow and silver striping and embroidered Super Bee logos on each of the front seat headrests.

The instrument panel also features the Charger Super Bee logo on a unique dash plaque.

Newly modified software includes the appearance of the Super Bee logo in the center instrument panel's Electronic Vehicle Information Center at vehicle start up.

On the exterior, the Charger Super Bee features a unique SRT badge with a 3-D helmeted bee mascot on the new split crosshair grille finished in glossy black. The original Super Bee was a version1968 Dodge Coronet, in case you ever wondered.

To let everyone know what's under the hood, a "392 Hemi" badge emblazons both front fenders. There are also 20-inch, five-spoke cast-aluminum wheels with black painted pockets developed specifically for the Super Bee models provide a unique performance look.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:59 PM
Registered Member

Old 11-10-2011, 01:58 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,876 Likes on 1,296 Posts
bzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 08-07-2012, 04:31 PM
Registered Member

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...1#.UCGH_vZlTD8

Dodge is withdrawing from NASCAR competition at the end of the 2012 season.

The decision announced Tuesday impacts Dodge's involvement in both the Sprint Cup Series and the Nationwide Series.

Penske Racing currently fields two Dodge Chargers in Sprint Cup and two Dodge Challengers in Nationwide.

Penske announced in February that it would move to Ford next year, and Dodge parent Chrysler Group said that had an impact on the decision.

Ralph Gilles, who heads Chrysler Group's performance SRT group, said the company has been evaluating all its options for five months. He said "in the end, we simply couldn't develop the right structure" to race at a level and quality expected.

Gilles did not rule out a return to NASCAR in the future.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15,136 Likes on 9,395 Posts
Post 2012 Dodge Charger Juiced

Press release...

Imagine a modern-day take on a custom street rod, mated with an emissions-friendly powerplant and a bountiful array of Mopar parts and accessories which demonstrate what the average owner can create. That’s the Dodge Charger Juiced.

Front and center is the Viper V-10 Mopar crate engine, which provides the Dodge Charger Juiced with the soul of a hotrod by taking a fast car and inserting an even more powerful engine. The Viper V-10 injects a venom-worthy boost of 650 horsepower into the Charger Juiced, but tones down the emissions to remain eco-friendly. The Mopar cold air intake and Mopar cat-back exhaust provide even more horsepower and a menacing engine note, while the Mopar lowering kit tightens the ride and improves cornering.

The design of the Charger Juiced complements the aggressive lines of the Dodge Charger while evoking a custom-rod feel with a restrained subtlety. The Mopar front chin spoiler, Mopar Performance prototype hood (with a functional forward-facing intake) and roof carry a darker matte version of the custom Metallic “Copperhead” paint of the vehicle. Unique Mopar matte black hood graphics and decklid graphics are also featured. The body-color split cross hair grille boasts a Mopar grille badge, and Mopar-exclusive 20-inch lightweight wheels are also trimmed in matte black, with an accent “Copperhead” stripe.

“Copperhead” inflections reach inside of the Charger Juiced, where unique black Katzkin leather seats stand out with touches of “Copperhead” color. Accent “Copperhead” color stitching may be found on the steering wheel, shifter and armrest, and a “Copperhead” logo is embroidered on the seatbacks. The large aluminum instrument panel bezel is matte black but also touched by subtle hints of the outside hue. The interior is finished off with Mopar logo door-sill guards, Mopar logo premium carpet floor mats and the Mopar pistol-grip shifter.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Post 2013 Dodge Charger R/T Daytona

Press release...

The 2013 Dodge Charger R/T is one of the best performance sedan values on the market, and now it’s about to get even more distinctive. Debuting at the 2012 Los Angeles International Auto Show is the re-introduction of the legendary Charger Daytona. Available in Charger R/T and Charger R/T Road & Track trim levels, the 2013 Dodge Charger Daytona brings back the unique style of the historic Daytona package with all the modern performance and technology offered in the current Charger line-up. Just 2,500 units of the Daytona will be produced in this limited-production run.

“With its 370 horsepower HEMI V-8, rear-wheel drive and iconic design, the 2013 Dodge Charger is a modern day muscle car, and the new Charger Daytona takes it to a new level by paying homage to the historic ‘Daytona’ nameplate,” said Reid Bigland, President and CEO, Dodge Brand. “It starts with a legendary HEMI underfoot and one-of-a-kind interior and exterior styling enhancements that perfectly combine heritage, performance and value, starting under $33,000 MSRP.”

Available in a unique color palette of Daytona Blue, Bright White, Billet Silver or Pitch Black, the Daytona package features special dark trim that builds upon the Charger’s iconic muscle car design. Satin Black adorns the front crosshair grille with heritage “R/T” badge, the custom vinyl hood graphic, roof wrap, rear R/T spoiler and the “DAYTONA” graphic on the rear quarter panels. The Daytona features exclusive 20-inch five-spoke polished aluminum wheels with Gloss Black painted pockets.

Daytona models also include a ‘Daytona Blue’ engine cover, performance 3.06 rear axle ratio, high-speed engine controller, paddle shifters with sport mode and performance steering and suspension.

The Charger Daytona’s interior on the Road & Track features unique black performance Nappa leather and suede heated and ventilated seats with Daytona Blue stitching and piping. Similarly, the Daytona on the R/T offers the same appearance in a custom sport cloth seat. “DAYTONA” is embroidered in blue into the upper front seat backs. Unique dark brushed aluminum trim surrounds the 8.4-inch Uconnect Touch screen and gauges on the instrument panel, as well as the trim around the shifter and cup holders on the center console. Finishing touches include a Mopar bright pedal kit, a 552-watt 10-speaker Beats Audio System, and a special numbered “DAYTONA” badge on the instrument panel that features the build number of that specific Charger Daytona model.

Built at Chrysler Group LLC’s Brampton, Ontario, assembly plant, the 2013 Dodge Charger Daytona arrives at Dodge dealerships nationwide in the first quarter of 2013 with a Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $32,990 for R/T and $36,495 for R/T Road &Track Daytona models.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dodge: Charger News

Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.