Dodge: Challenger News

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 09:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,651 Likes on 13,891 Posts
Post 2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat Widebody

Press release on the SRT Hellcat Widebody version posted from above...

The 707-horsepower Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat adds new grille and fender badges, newly illuminated Air-Catcher headlamps with Hellcat logo, a new Matte Vapor wheel finish option, a new dual gunmetal stripe option, optional black, orange and gunmetal Brembo brake calipers, new Demonic Red Laguna seating and a new red IP badge for 2018.

Dodge also builds on its 707-horsepower Challenger SRT Hellcat by adding a new Widebody model for the 2018 model year. Powered by the supercharged 6.2-liter HEMI Hellcat V-8 engine, the Dodge Challenger SRT Widebody model boasts fender flares, new 20 x 11-inch aluminum wheels, 305/35ZR20 Pirelli tires and electric power steering with selectable steering modes.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Red...

Old 02-09-2018, 09:26 PM
Senior Moderator

In color...

Old 02-09-2018, 09:26 PM
Senior Moderator

In gwao-ro color...

Old 02-09-2018, 09:27 PM
Senior Moderator

In orange....

The following users liked this post:
nist7 (09-26-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 12:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 193 Likes on 150 Posts
Old 02-13-2018, 01:04 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
So much
Old 06-30-2018, 07:50 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
Dodge has gone insane, and we mean that in the best way possible. While the car market has withered, the Charger and Challenger have thrived. In the past 10 years, sales are up 70 percent. It’s starting to seem like the money guys at FCA have given the SRT boys carte blanche to do whatever their collective 16-year-old brains want.

For starters, you’ll be able to get a 797-hp Hellcat called the Redeye using a slightly detuned version of the Demon 6.2-liter supercharged V8. It will get a Widebody version (3.5 inches wider overall, 20x11-inch wheels), as will the R/T Scat Pack. The “regular” Hellcat gets a slight bump to 717 hp, because why not, and both Hellcats now get a new dual snorkel hood. The old Hellcat hood comes on the SRT and R/Ts.

To make nearly 800 hp, or 840 in the Demon, the 6.2-liter V8 in the Redeye gets a bigger supercharger than the Hellcat’s, from 2.4 to 2.7 liters, more boost and a higher engine redline. It has two dual-stage fuel pumps, as opposed to the Hellcat’s one, and a larger airbox.

Now, in a physics-proving bit of statistics, the extra 80 hp in the Redeye gets you just one-tenth in the quarter-mile, 10.8 to 10.9 seconds, and 8 more mph (203 mph to 195).

Inside, you can spot a Redeye by the 220-mph red speedometer and its light black chrome instrument panel badge. The keys sport the new badge too, as does the main infotainment screen.

Oh, and no manual in the Redeye, but the rest of the lineup continues with a six-speed option.

Power outputs are the same for the Scat Pack (485-hp, 475 lb-ft) and the R/T (375-hp, 410 lb-ft).

Speaking of, the R/Ts and GT rear-drive models now come standard with the Super Track Pak stuff, including a high-performance suspension, 20-inch granite crystal painted wheels, paddle shifters with the automatic trans, a more aggressive hood and front splitter, as well as bolstered Houndstooth seats.

Pricing hasn’t been announced, but Dodge did say the Scat Pack will stay under $40K. The Widebody option on last year’s Hellcat cost $6,000, so we’d expect the new combo to come in around that total. After the Redeye, that’s the one we’re most interested in.

Read more: The 2019 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye is a daily-driver Demon | Autoweek
Old 06-30-2018, 07:51 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
Old 06-30-2018, 08:41 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
I know there are reports of Dodge being in jeopardy, but horrreeee shietttt are they doing it right.

Old 06-30-2018, 11:03 AM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
Originally Posted by Majofo
I know there are reports of Dodge being in jeopardy, but horrreeee shietttt are they doing it right.

Not Dodge. Chrysler and Fiat
Old 06-30-2018, 01:08 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
They aren't really doing things right... I mean, it's awesome they're putting stupid amounts of horsepower into their cars... I fuckin love them for that (and they look good too), but they are all so fucking old now. Charger, Challenger, Journey, and the Durango are all old as fuck. Only the caravan has seemingly been updated this decade.

Back in 2015 they were talking about the new Challenger being built on an Alfa platform... that seemingly never transpired.

Chrysler seems no better... 300 is old as fuck... the Pacifica is fairly new, but shit... I didn't realize that's ALL Chrysler makes... just two fucking vehicles and one that doesn't even sell all that much anymore... wtf happened to them!?!?!

Old 06-30-2018, 02:10 PM

Old 06-30-2018, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Sarlacc

Not Dodge. Chrysler and Fiat
I saw this article and was like.. wutttt...
There was another article talking about not enough or any global market share..

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2018/06/02/dodge-fiat-chrysler-saved/665702002/
Old 06-30-2018, 03:22 PM
The Third Ball

At the last big shareholders meeting, last month I think, Maricho me decided to nix trying to put dodge on Alfa platforms. Saying he didn’t want to mess with a good thing and what makes those cars THOSE cars. In other words, he didn’t want to give give American muscle a sudden smaller euro feeling. And since sales on those models are strong they don’t need to.
Old 06-30-2018, 03:26 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by Majofo
I saw this article and was like.. wutttt...
There was another article talking about not enough or any global market share..

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ved/665702002/
interesting article.

Im not worried about the Durango. It seems to have good sales. It’s demise was rumored for 2017 and it’s still here AND they gave it a SRT model. And if it goes, bummer.

The Journey. Sucks. Needs to evolve or go.
Old 06-30-2018, 03:44 PM

I know Dodge branched the RAM truck division off
But I was so happy to hear that RAM has decided to make the TRX after quasi-scuttling it

Possibly in showrooms by 2019
I'm really anxious for that bad boy to hit the market

Honestly, the only thing that I see as a real threat to Dodge is the economy and the 4 banger turbo / electric car.
As long as people are making a good living and fuel prices are reasonable, why not.
But if a recession comes and fuel prices go up, it'll be especially hard times for Dodge.

I say electric car because they're getting more affordable and packing lots of performance.
For most people that stop light to 35 mph experience is pretty good with many 2.0T or electric rides.

Then factor in great gas mileage. I mean the Golf R + a 6-7k kit that comes with a home tune is a 10 second ride.
Plus you're still getting +20 mpg. All that for around 40k.. that's pretty bananas to me.

It's those assholes like us who are in it for the more visceral experience.
Old 06-30-2018, 04:51 PM
The Third Ball

There will come a time where this will all go away. Maybe dodge is holding out to go out with a Big Bang.

But its a helluva a bang. Who would have ever though we’d experience a renaissance of big monster power v8s? Especially since the last recession and higher gas prices than the past?

Dodge could shut down tomorrow and if still they were the ballsiest car maker out there right now.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:23 PM

Name:  Evdwm.gif
Views: 59
Size:  494.0 KB
Old 07-02-2018, 01:51 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Any rumors on the charger hellcat getting any widebody? cuz that is the one i am really interested in...
Old 07-02-2018, 03:58 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,831 Likes on 3,852 Posts
Originally Posted by oonowindoo
Any rumors on the charger hellcat getting any widebody? cuz that is the one i am really interested in...
Not likely to happen... Only reason widebody Challenger exists is because the Demon exists.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:02 PM
Team Owner

Right, so...

Old 07-02-2018, 04:04 PM
Team Owner

I'd prefer just a manual version of the Charger. They have one in the Challenger.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:31 PM
Team Owner

with the ZF8 it is really not necessary to have a manual in the sedan.... But widebody for the hellcat is actually a necessity.... 275 is too skinny for that much power.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:46 AM

Received 5,293 Likes on 3,627 Posts
https://www.autoblog.com/2018/08/08/...view-9w4ds317/

Play nice, this kitty bites

PORTLAND, Maine — They told us the Hellcat Redeye Widebody is a "Hellcat that's been possessed by a Demon." But what I'm telling myself is, Save it for the track. I hadn't even put the pedal all the way to the floor, and the world around me had warped in my peripheral vision. I peeled my skull from the headrest and contemplated the supercharger under the double-snorkel hood in front of me force-feeding air to the's 6.2-liter Hemi V8, producing a hair under 800 horsepower. With my stomach returning to its usual place, I tried to summon the patience not to roast the tires again.

Relax, enjoy the drive, explore the car, and save the rest for the track. I tried to restrain myself from adding to the many strips of rubber already smeared across the hilly, meandering roads between Portland, Maine and Club Motorsports across the state line in New Hampshire. But then there's always another stop sign, and something possesses me to misbehave again as I pull away.

The 2019 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye includes a number of borrowed features that helped the Dodge Challenger SRT Demon slap me in the back of the helmet back at Lucas Oil Raceway. It has the same displacement Hemi with a 2.7-liter supercharger providing 14.5 PSI of boost. That pressure is thanks in part to the "Power Chiller," which diverts the A/C refrigerant to cool the air intake. It offers the torque reserve system for explosive launches, as well as the strengthened driveshaft to handle it all. It won't do a wheelie, but it'll scream in your face as it hurls you straight to jail.

Compared to the standard Hellcat, it gets a higher top speed of 203 miles per hour, and quarter mile times reduced by a precious tenth of a second (11.1 seconds at 131 mph for the standard Redeye, and 10.8 seconds at 131 mph for the Redeye Widebody).

That said, Dodge has ensured that Demon reigns supreme in the Challenger hierarchy. For one thing, the Demon has 840 horsepower and 770 pound-feet of torque, compared to the Redeye's 797 horsepower and 707 pound-feet. The Demon's suspension is specifically tuned for the weight transfer characteristics of drag racing, and can lift its front wheels off the ground if you nail the launch with the narrow tires on it. Also, while the Redeye does have line lock to let the rear wheels spin while braking the front calipers, it doesn't get the Demon's transbrake to keep the car locked into position as throttle is applied for launch.

The good news for those who want to own a demonic Challenger is that the Hellcat Redeye is also more attainable than its elusive big brother. It starts at $72,745 (including the $1,395 destination fee and $1,700 gas guzzler tax), with the Widebody configuration adding another $6,000. The Demon started at $86,090. Perhaps more importantly, its production won't be limited to the 3,300 units that the Demon was, the end of which allows the Redeye to claim superlatives like "most powerful production V8" and "quickest production muscle car." And, in my opinion, the Hellcat logo is way cooler, especially with the glowing red eye as a subtle hint to the Shelby owner that pulls up alongside of you at a stoplight.

Driven sanely, the Redeye is actually a perfectly comfortable way to get around. With its handful of configurable settings in Street mode, the revs are kept low, shifts smooth, and suspension surprisingly pliant — though steering feel still remains hefty in its lightest setting. It wasn't until I shifted to Sport and felt the suspension tighten up that I noticed how much Street mode really cushions occupants from the bumps, cracks, and undulations in the road.

At speed in Sport transmission mode, the engine drones loudly as it holds slightly higher revs, and the shifts give you a gentle kick in the small of your back. With traction set to Sport — or, even better, Track — the Redeye will happily spin its rear tires pulling away from a stop sign to the delight of the bored construction crew egging you on.

The palpable difference between the Redeye's drive modes had me exploring the different combinations and marveling at the differences in the SRT Drive Mode screen, – particularly since the Custom setting lets you individually adjust the transmission, traction, suspension or steering. In a car with such a broad spectrum of behaviors and capabilities, one day of driving wasn't enough to exhaust my curiosity.

Despite my self-discipline on the public roads, I still got to experience the nigh-supernatural thrills of a coupe drenched in black magic. You don't have to double the speed limit to appreciate the way the Redeye Widebody claws its way to an instant sprint, shifting as fast as you could snap your fingers if only you could loosen your grip of the steering wheel. The way this car gums itself to the road as you throw lateral Gs at it is a ham-fisted riot. This car just clobbers its surroundings — asphalt, air, and human senses alike.

Eventually, I made my way to Club Motorsports, a beautiful and challenging circuit built into the hillside. It's the same place I tested the Genesis G70 last month, so I was excited for another opportunity to tackle it in a much different vehicle.

As it turns out, restraint is just as important behind the wheel of the Redeye on track as it is on the road, but for different reasons. Have you ever tried typing with boxing gloves on? The Hellcat Redeye is a tricky car to drive, simply because of the gnarly amount of power it can put down with a little pressure from the right foot. I found that I had to make a serious, concerted effort to slow myself down in order to actually be faster: dig into the brakes hard, feel the car wiggle with excitement as it transformed kinetic energy into heat, then aim for the apex and wait for the right moment to dip into the throttle.

Then comes the hard part: restraint. Imagine Andre the Giant trying to squeeze juice from an orange directly into a highball glass without making a mess. That's how you have to get on the Redeye's throttle after passing the apex, caressing the throttle until the lateral forces have mostly subsided. Only then could I apply full forward force to the wide patch of rubber keeping the Challenger in contact with the pavement to avoid a chaotic cacophony free-spinning rubber.

Some laps in the Challenger R/T Scat Pack proved a remarkable contrast to the Demon-possessed Hellcat Redeye. With a mere 485 horsepower (yes, I said it — driving a 797-horsepower muscle car shifts your perception a bit) from the 392 Hemi V8, this lesser Challenger lends itself to lead-footed thrashing of the throttle on exit. It'll do a little jig for you, but won't chasten you with a bawling, sideways slide if you aren't diligent with your hand- and footwork. It also won't get you around the track as quickly.

The Redeye's refined Bilstein suspension with adaptive damping lends a nice sense of balance in a corner. It feels a subtle smidge easier to muscle the inside front tire toward the apex. Of course, the higher average speeds make on-the-fly calculationsand precision steering just that much more of a challenge. Though the Redeye is more capable a car, it's also a tough son of a beast to master. For the customers who actually take the Redeye to a track with curves, that'll be a big part of what makes this car cerebrally entertaining for thousands of laps.

On the track, the R/T Scat Pack was more instantly gratifying than the Redeye — and probably a better entertainment value. You get a lot of fun in a manageable package for a lot less dough, and the consensus among Autoblog staff leans toward the 392 as the smart Challenger buy. I could get right in it, manhandle it around the course, and feel slightly heroic without having to pull my punches past the apex. Granted, that sort of driving is more like cheap fast food, a quick dopamine hit that eventually wears off without the prolonged benefits. Improving corner to corner in the Redeye, though, was more like learning to prepare haute cuisine at a world-class restaurant. It takes more time and effort, but it's a whole different level of thrills and skill that leaves its mark on your soul.

I threw in the towel at the track long before the cars began to tire, and just as it began to rain. One of the Dodge crew sent us off with a fantastic burnout in one of the cars. After that, I got back into another Redeye for a relaxing, comfortable drive back to Portland, happy to know that unlike the Demon — which will go down in history as the rare, niche car it is — the Hellcat Redeye will get a longer run to test the grit of true automotive thrill-seekers.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:47 AM

Old 08-08-2018, 10:05 AM

Fuck yeah! America!
Old 09-26-2018, 11:06 AM

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/09/mi...w-dodge-demon/

Muscle-car enthusiasts still hell-bent on getting their hands on a Dodge Challenger SRT Demon can still find some circling the second-hand market. And many of them are still in factory-fresh condition. Like this one, for example, which throws a measure of celebrity provenance into the mix.

The Demon you see here was built for none other than Michael Andretti, son of the legendary Mario Andretti, an IndyCar champion in his own right, former F1 driver, and an even more successful team owner.

As you can see, it’s all done up in yellow with a black hood, roof, wheels, and interior for the full “bumblebee” look (with apologies to the rival Camaro).

This was the 47th of the initial 50 examples of the 840-horsepower muscle car that FCA built for VIPs and company executives – the former category into which Andretti evidently fell, despite having never really raced or fielded Mopar machinery to any notable effect.

He remains, however, one of the most successful drivers in American open-wheel racing history, winning 42 races (and the 1991 CART IndyCar World Series championship) over the course of nearly two decades on the grid. That’s not even to mention a pair of podiums in the Indy 500, another at Le Mans with Porsche, and one in the Italian Grand Prix. And his team Andretti Autosport has achieved even more under his direction.

Like so many owners, Andretti doesn’t appear to have driven his Demon much. In fact, he hasn’t driven it at all: it still has the covers on the seats, and best we can tell, it only has 13 delivery miles on the odometer. But that only means that you could be the one to break it in. That is, if you place the winning bid next week. Mecum Auctions will sell it off to the highest bidder in Dallas during its sale there, running October 3-6. The auctioneer isn’t saying how much it expects the rare Challenger to sell for, but it’s listed it with no reserve price.

Old 09-26-2018, 11:14 AM
Team Owner

Final offer: $34.50
Old 09-26-2018, 03:54 PM
The Third Ball

Dealer near me still has one. They want a 75k mark up
Old 09-26-2018, 04:26 PM
Team Owner

Old 09-26-2018, 04:40 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
Final offer: $34.50
Best I can do: $3.50

Dealer near me still has one. They want a 75k mark up

Are people willing to pay that much for a Demon? Hard to believe...basically 100% markup.....
Old 09-26-2018, 06:53 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by nist7
Best I can do: $3.50

Are people willing to pay that much for a Demon? Hard to believe...basically 100% markup.....

id imagine there is a reason it’s still in the showroom.

Also so one of the worst dealers I’ve ever dealt with. They even called me to discuss the 0 score I gave them to Dodge where I called them out for changing their name because of how bad their rep was/is
The following users liked this post:
nist7 (09-26-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 07:31 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
id imagine there is a reason it’s still in the showroom.

Also so one of the worst dealers I’ve ever dealt with. They even called me to discuss the 0 score I gave them to Dodge where I called them out for changing their name because of how bad their rep was/is
Yeah not surprised. Guess they try to shoot for the moon and then slowly reduce but probably will sell for decent amount over MSRP at the end since someone will bite but just not at that high of a price.

Man sucks to have a shitty dealer. I've read several anecdotes of Dodge dealers being pretty crabby. A redditor has bought multiple high end Dodge cars, including hellcat charger and challenger and a viper...and he says the dealership experience is not that great...even though he can be considered a borderline vip customer.

Makes you want to start your own dealer and provide a great customer service experience....
Old 09-26-2018, 07:38 PM
The Third Ball

Yeah. It does.

Nice thing about LA is we have tons of dealers. It just sucks the worst one is super close to me. But thats ok. I’m out of warranty now anyway.
Old 09-26-2018, 07:40 PM
The Third Ball

On the flip side I had 3 good buying experiences from the dealer I got my Challenger, Jeep and Durango.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:43 AM

https://www.motor1.com/news/301977/n...r-electrified/

Crack open your automotive history books, kids – today we're talking about the Dodge Challenger. The beloved muscle car – of which Dodge sold a surprising 66,716 examples in 2018 – is finally getting an update. After chugging along mostly unchanged for more than a decade, new reports hint at a hybrid model.

The Detroit News reports that the next Dodge Challenger will get an electric boost. In an interview with the publication, CEO Mike Manley said the current platform will be get swapped for new lightweight technologies that should make room for electrification. Early speculators suggest FCA's 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine with electric boost will make its way underhood of Dodge's base Challenger, which should start at around $30,000.

"The reality is those platforms and that technology we used does need to move on. They can't exist as you get into the middle-2020s," Manley said at the Detroit auto show. "New technology is going to drive a load of weight out, so we can think of the powertrains in a different way. And we can use electrification to really supplement those vehicles."

But don't think the Challenger is alone. Ford, we know, is adding a Mustang-based electric SUV to its lineup. The Corvette, too, will go hybrid with the arrival of the mid-engined "Zora" sometime this year. Rumor has it the electrified mid-engined Corvette could produce up to 1,000 horsepower (745 kilowatts).

As Manley states in the interview, "electrification will certainly be part of the formula that says what is American muscle in the future." You'll probably have to wait a bit, though for a new Dodge Challenger to arrive. The company promises the revamped muscle car in the mid-2020s.

Quick Reply: Dodge: Challenger News