Dodge: Challenger News

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 12:37 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exterior is nice. Interior looks very rental car-ish.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:03 AM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2008 Dodge Challenger's `go' matches its `show'

With a 6 L V8, new sports car's performance equals its eye-catching looks
Jim Kenzie
Special to the Star

Aug 02, 2008

I have a new, all-time eyeball-grabbing glom champion.

No car I have ever driven – Ferrari, Lamborghini, Rolls-Royce, Audi R8, AMC Hornet – has generated public response like the 2008 Dodge Challenger.

It might have been the ORANGE paint job with the faux carbon fibre hood appliqué.

But I bet in silver or black – the only other colours this car "came" in – it wouldn't have been materially different.

Cellphone cameras snapped. Shoulders were dislocated. Heads on children of all ages swivelled – even kids far too young to have ever seen an original Challenger.

One guy, looking about my age and with a hippie-style bandana, drove the door handles off his Hyundai Elantra hatchback, just to catch up to me on the 401 to give me (well, the car) the thumbs-up.

Even a cyclist, with the too-tight Lycra shorts, plastic neon shirt and funky helmet, did the same (usually, cyclists are extending another digit toward cars of any sort).

This surprised me considerably, because back in the day, the Challenger was far from being as iconic as the Ford Mustang, which begat the pony car craze, or the Chevrolet Camaro, or even its ChryCo sibling, the Plymouth Barracuda.

But there's something about the lines of the new Challenger that absolutely drive people nuts.

Several onlookers who did know the original Challenger noted how much bigger this car is. That's partly because all cars are bigger these days, to accommodate us fatter customers, and also the airbags and other crash protection our governments mandate on our behalf; and partly because the car is based on the Chrysler 300 platform, and that too is a big car.

I said "came'' (as in, colours it "came in") above, because if you haven't already got one of the 500 2008 Challengers that were allocated for Canada (about 7,000 total for North America), chances are you aren't going to get one.

They are/were all SRT8 models, meaning the 6.1-litre Hemi V8, five-speed automatic transmission with Mercedes-style side-to-side manual override, handling suspension, 20-inch wheels and tires, four-wheel disc ABS brakes with calipers by Italian racing brake maker Brembo, traction control, Electronic Stability Control program, and a hyper-cool built-in automatic acceleration meter, which measures and stores 0-to-100 km/h, eighth-mile or quarter-mile times, deceleration distances, and lateral acceleration measurements.

Oh yeah, there's the starting price of $44,995.

A wider range of models, including V6 and manual transmission powertrains, will arrive in September for the 2009 model year. Leaks from the supplier industry indicate a folding hardtop convertible version arrives in 2010.

Is the Challenger all show and no go? Hardly. With this much power and torque, you know it goes.

Shut off the ESC and you can light the tires up at will. Better to leave it on to both save the rubber and improve the performance.

It sounds absolutely spectacular too.

The transmission shifts crisply if not seamlessly. Manual override allows you to take full advantage of the 6400 rpm rev limit.

The Challenger also handles remarkably well. This chassis is basically one-generation-old Mercedes E-Class, so it has great DNA.

The steering is light and perhaps could use a titch more feel, but it always lets you know what's going on at the tire/pavement interface.

I did a semi-hot lap at Chrysler's Proving Grounds a few weeks ago, and the car corners brilliantly.

The ride is firm of course, but not horrible, and the independent rear suspension keeps things under more comfortable control on rough roads than the live axle of the Mustang, for example.

The interior is nowhere near as dramatic as the exterior, but it is functional and reasonably well executed. The wrap-around sports seats are leather-trimmed with suede inserts.

The back seat is actually quite spacious, although claustrophobic due to the tiny, non-opening rear windows. But getting in there is a pain. The power driver's seat barely moves far forward enough, and the passenger's front-seat backrest doesn't automatically return to its pre-set adjustment setting when you flip it forward to access the rear. There are a lot of Mercedes parts inside too, including the transponder key fob/push button start feature. Unlike Mercedes though, there is no dedicated slot to stick the fob into, so you run the risk of losing it. (See Carte Blanche below.)

It looks like the entire steering column is also lifted straight from the E-Class, complete with too-far-down turn indicator-cum-wiper stalk, gigantic steering wheel with manual tilt-and-telescope, and massively complicated driver information system with no fewer than four steering wheel spoke buttons.

But you also get the oh-so-handy one-touch three-flash lane change feature on the turn signal.

Visibility to the rear three-quarters isn't great, thanks to the fat rear roof pillars.

My tester had the optional ($1,100) MyGIG multimedia sound system, which allows you to load more songs than have ever yet been written onto the car's hard drive.

It seemed unnecessarily complicated to get it to display pre-set radio stations. Hmmm, maybe nobody listens to the radio any more.

Satellite navigation is part of this deal too. One difficulty I had there was getting the display brightness correct.

Because I drive with my headlights on all the time (DRL doesn't light up the rears), the system thinks it's night-time during the day, and I have to manually switch via a touch-screen button to a daytime setting.

At night I have to manually switch back again. But the next morning, the screen is so dark I cannot see the touch screen button! There has to be a better way.

My tester came with the Canada-only "Challenger group," consisting of "500'' badges on the grille and dashboard (signifying the limited production run) and a certificate of authenticity indicating that the car was built especially for you, the new owner. Officially, this is listed as a $2,000 option package, but I don't know that buyers really had the choice of turning it down. I mean, why would you?

It is easy to question whether Chrysler coming out with a high-performance, fuel-swilling sports car is the politically correct thing to do when fuel conservation seems to be everyone's main concern.

Well, 7,000 times $45,000 – roughly, the first year sales volume times the base list price – is a third of a billion dollars gross revenue. Need I say more?

The new Camaro comes out next year, and a revised Mustang the year after. Cars like these help bring some romance back to the industry, at a time when it could use some.

A big fat welcome to them all, say I.
http://www.wheels.ca/article/asset/319268
Old 08-04-2008, 11:26 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
The Challenger also handles remarkably well. This chassis is basically one-generation-old Mercedes E-Class, so it has great DNA.
Which then begs the question - what will they do for an encore now that mother MB is no longer part of the company?
Old 08-04-2008, 02:21 PM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

Received 1,192 Likes on 485 Posts
Ive been seeing an orange one around here....looks good, but looks heavy as hell. Its a huge car.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:12 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by o2cls
Ive been seeing an orange one around here....looks good, but looks heavy as hell. Its a huge car.
LOL.. they were huge when they came out years ago.... and yeah I saw an orange one waiting for delivery right after it came off the train about a week ago... black racing stripes....just sick!
Old 10-08-2008, 12:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,651 Likes on 13,891 Posts
Post Dodge cancels Challenger convertible

From Leftlanenews...

While it may be a few years too late, the muscle car wars are once again upon us. Ford is planning to introduce a new Mustang in just a few weeks at the Los Angeles Auto Show and Chevrolet has already taken the wraps off its all-new Camaro. Dodge fans are also back in the game with the revived Challenger, but Mopar buffs will have a few less muscle car options than first thought.

While the Challenger will be offered in three flavors for 2009 – SE, R/T and SRT8 – an optional sun roof will be the closest sun-lovers will get to a drop top Challenger. Despite reports that Dodge would offer a convertible version of the Challenger, those plans have since been cancelled.

“We considered a convertible when we were developing Challenger, but the extra weight needed to beef up the car when the top was removed was too much of a penalty,” Mike Accavitti, director of Dodge brand marketing, told Kicking Tires. “And that was with a manual soft-top. A power-retractable hardtop would add even more weight.”

Accavitti also added that the convertible would have been aimed at a niche market, making it hard for Chrysler to recoup the development costs – especially at a time when the Michigan automaker is already strapped for cash.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:55 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
I'm gonna bet that the entire Challenger lineup will be killed in under 5 years.

I love the car...don't get me wrong, but it's a case of the right car, at the wrong time.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:06 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
I'm gonna bet that the entire Challenger lineup will be killed in under 5 years.

I love the car...don't get me wrong, but it's a case of the right car, at the wrong time.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:42 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
Fuck I got find the money to buy mine before its too late!!!
Old 10-08-2008, 01:51 PM
99 TL, 06 E350

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts

Have you seen the economy? Make that with 5 months.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:19 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
Old 10-08-2008, 02:41 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by Black Tire
Have you seen the economy? Make that with 5 months.
Let's try to be a little serious. 5 months?

... a little over-board don't you think?
Old 10-08-2008, 02:41 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
Fuck I got find the money to buy mine before its too late!!!
Invite less peeps (couples) to your wedding.
problem solved
Old 10-08-2008, 05:15 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Invite less peeps (couples) to your wedding.
problem solved
even better, if you do invite someone, do not say "and guest"

I've seen 2 of these babies on the road already, and they've been somewhat limited production/capacity at the moment right? At the same time I've only seen maybe 4 G8s ever since they came out, not including my brother's renter who brings a G8 home nearly every day (works at a rental car place). At least the SRTs seem to be moving off the lots so far?
Old 10-08-2008, 05:17 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Just hold tight... there is gonna be a barely driven one ready for all of us in a couple years when the economy starts to shape up or you have just got extra cash laying about.... my money is still on a used 'Vette...
Old 10-09-2008, 08:03 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
and they've been somewhat limited production/capacity at the moment right?
I don't think so. Or maybe their all getting sent to the Dodge dealer by my place. They have about 20 on the lot.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Post Dodge Challenger Blacktop at SEMA 2008

Nice!

From Dodge via WCF...

Snake eyes, low chin, 22-inch running gear. This is the SEMA-bound Dodge Challenger Blacktop, a Mopar Underground creation which began its life in the form of a 2009 Dodge Challenger R/T. The guys did what they are known for; made a few changes here and there. These include the custom-made spoilers and front bow which gives it a ‘chin’ look. An interesting “black on black” stripe has given the car its nickname, Blacktop.

Then those massive 22-inch wheels that should take away a lot of the cornering performance potential, but give the car a nice wide stance for great straight line stability. Rolling on these are Dunlop tires measuring 265/35 R22 front and 305/30 R22 rear. We don’t know what this Blacktop Challenger can do yet but Mopar components are fitted to enhance the HEMI V8, bits like cat back dual-exhaust and cold air intake.

At SEMA just look for the black, striped Dodge Challenger with a number of red enhancements, including a red leather interior.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Post Dodge Challenger Targa to Appear at SEMA 2008

Another announcement from Dodge via WCF...

Dodge offered some sneak peeks into its lineup for this year’s Specialty Equipment Manufacturers Association (SEMA) show, one of the wildest of which was the Dodge Challenger Targa. Intent on racing up some racing credibility for the all-new Challenger, Mopar took the resurrected pony car to compete in the Targa Newfoundland.

Dubbed “Samantha,” the Challenger Targa started life as a Challenger with the Mopar drag racing package installed. A 540-horsepower, 490 ft-lb 392 HEMI crate engine was crammed under the hood, and it’s hooked up to a six-speed Tremec manual transmission. Power is transferred to the rear wheels through a modified 2009-spec rear end. The Challenger Targa features KW-developed brake and suspension upgrades from the Dodge Viper ACR, including 380mm brake rotors with six-piston calipers up front and four-pot calipers with 355mm rotors at the rear.

A coat of Snakeskin Green paint from the Viper palette was applied to give the Challenger Targa a unique look, and the car also features a Mopar scooped hood and chin spoiler designed to help keep the front end on the ground.

The car completed the 2200km race this September with Chrysler LLC Design Vice President Ralph Gilles at the wheel and co-driver Karen Wagner, finishing second in class and twenty-second overall.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:21 PM
Nom-nom-nom!!!

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
I would love to get my hands on a Challenger. The "Blacktop" looks sick!
Old 10-15-2008, 08:05 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Oo that Targa is sexy.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:51 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
They both look sweet. But wait a sec, the green one is a targa?
Old 10-15-2008, 11:13 PM
seizure force field!

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts
I had one come up on my ass and roar its exhaust today, I got out of its way in .5 seconds flat!
Old 10-15-2008, 11:21 PM
Sounders FC

Saw a black one today. Looked imposing, but I was surprised at how large it was. I was expecting it to be somewhat smaller.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:33 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
I keep seeing an Orange SRT around town....fucker was in front me today.

I've also seen a red SE in my neighborhood one night.

I WILL FUCKING HAVE ONE DAMNIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I keep telling the future wifey that. She isnt even allowed to talk to me about kids til I get one in the garage oh yes, im dead serious.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:48 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
oh my that green one
Old 10-16-2008, 09:18 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
I like them both, save the wheels.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Post 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT10 Concept

Old 10-19-2008, 08:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Press release...

The opportunity for SRT engineering to “one-up” itself comes to fruition with the 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT10 Concept. Power for the 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT10 Concept comes from the Dodge Viper 8.4-liter, all-aluminum V-10 engine with 600 horsepower and 560 lb. ft. of torque. This new halo concept delivers the well-known SRT credo of benchmark performance. The Dodge Challenger SRT10 Concept includes a fresh coat of Tornado Red paint with a carbon-fiber deck lid and hood. The “shaker hood” is a nostalgic representation of the 1970 HEMI Cuda, giving the 600-hp Viper V-10 engine room to breathe. Brakes have been upgraded and BILSTEIN® shocks at all four corners improve handling balance. The interior boasts sport seats and carbon-fiber accents throughout and, of course, true to the Viper-powered vehicle lineage, a red engine start push-button in the dash.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 236 Likes on 97 Posts
Old 10-19-2008, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
They both look sweet. But wait a sec, the green one is a targa?

It's called a Targa for the race it was in, not the targa top.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:14 PM

SRT-10 is sweet. It really makes that Viper look small.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Nice but the camaro will still run circles around it.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:12 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Finally saw one on the road, as opposed to on the back of a truck or in a dealer lot. The car is huge. Way too big IMO. I think it was longer than my Ody. This particular one was a base model. Tiny wheels and two black stripes down the length of the car ending up in a big SXT. Why anyone would want to advertise they have a SXT I don't quite get but...
Old 10-20-2008, 11:48 AM
99 TL, 06 E350

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts
OMG...that looks like a murderers car.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:03 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Enjoy it while you can...when GM takes over Chrysler, this SRT10 will be put in storage.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:39 PM
Lamborghini Aventador FTW

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
OMG! Suite!
Old 10-20-2008, 04:23 PM
That's Racist

i wonder when chrysler's stake will be liquidated and these are being let go for ridiculously cheap

looks hot
Old 10-20-2008, 06:34 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
^ it won't happen.

SRT10 is just
Old 10-20-2008, 07:11 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
This car looks a little too old-school for my tastes....
Old 10-20-2008, 08:02 PM
Don't Mess With Texas

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
oh. my. gawd. this car is nuts.

Quick Reply: Dodge: Challenger News