ConsumerGuide's review online...

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 08:50 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ConsumerGuide's review online...

Hi all...

Here is ConsumerGuide's review of the 04 TL.

http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/n...x.cfm/id/37492

They made it a best buy (an upgrade from last year's "recommended" status). One thing that concerns me is the difference in ride quality they noted between auto and 6MT. As far as I know, the suspension in the manual and auto trims are identical with the manual just having thicker anti-sway bars. They deducted two whole points from the ride quality on the manual due to the high performance tires and sport-tuned suspension. Perhaps their test model had the A-SPEC suspension??

Oh, and look at interior design rating between the non-navi auto and the navi-equipped 6MT. They actually DEDUCTED a point for the navi.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:14 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those are very good scores when compared to the competition. The automatic TL w/out Nav they tested got a 68 which is only 2 points below the best car they have tested in it's respective segment. Although I'm taking their review with a grain of salt. The gave the Lexus ES330 the top rating with a score of 70. The 3 series only scored in the 50's to low 60's.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:57 PM
Pro

At an annual meeting at Consumers Union (the people who write Consumer Reports) they have said many times that Consumer's Guide just gives out the "Best Buys" to the company who meets thier minimum donations, or something along those lines. I have never give any credibility to that magazine, as I have seen them pick some real winners - LOL
Old 10-10-2003, 10:30 PM
More On

Originally posted by need4spd
At an annual meeting at Consumers Union (the people who write Consumer Reports) they have said many times that Consumer's Digest just gives out the "Best Buys" to the company who meets thier minimum donations, or something along those lines. I have never give any credibility to that magazine, as I have seen them pick some real winners - LOL
Hey, n4s -- you said Consumer's Digest -- maybe that's not the same thing we're talking about here?

Anyway: In my experience, Consumer Guide is TREMENDOUSLY capable and informative, one of the very best sources when you're picking a car.

And yes, 68 is an EXTRAORDINARY score, not just a good score. At first blush it might not seem like much, llke maybe a D+ or something like that. But actually it's a great score. Most cars get in the low or mid 50's at best. Even something in the high 50's is a very good score.

Interesting how the TL's category-by-category ratings compare with the TSX (10-point scale):

Acceleration: TSX 6, TL 7
(TL: "Strong, though best above 3500 rpm. Automatic transmission downshifts smoothly, promptly for good throttle reponse. Manual has silky shifter/clutch-pedal action.")

Ride Quality: TSX 5, TL Auto 7, TL Manual 5
(TL: "Stable, controlled, but tauter than comfort-minded rivals such as Lexus ES 330. Manual-transmission models' performance-tuned suspension gives even firmer ride, especially with optional performance tires.")

Steering/Handling/Braking: TSX 8, TL Auto 7, TL Manual 8
(TL: "Sharp, agile, helped by rigid body structure. Nicely weighted, linear steering feel. Little cornering lean. Strong, smooth brakes inspire confidence, manual's Brembo units in particular.")

Quietness: TSX 5, TL Auto 8. TL Manual 7
(TL: "Wind rush modest, but tire roar intrudes, especially with manual's optional performance tires. Engine sporty yet muted at high rpm, hushed otherwise.")

Terrific review of the TL -- they love it.

BTW, they sort of agree with what Skull One and others have said about acceleration, but not really.
Old 10-10-2003, 11:08 PM
Racer

Originally posted by larchmont
Terrific review of the TL -- they love it.

BTW, they sort of agree with what Skull One and others have said about acceleration, but not really.
Interestingly, the G35 sedan got a 7 as well in acceleration (6MT coupe got an 8 and does 0-60 in 5.5, according to most mags). From what I remember about the numbers this publication normally gets, I have a feeling that they test 0-60 times somewhat gingerly. In fact, I think that their testers would pop an aneurysm if they ever managed to chirp the tires... C&D, on the other hand, will probably drop the clutch at 3500rpm, so they'll never be able to evaluate how responsive the car is below that.

BTW -- Are the suspensions different between the manual and auto? I could have sworn they were the same with only the A-SPEC offering a firmer setup...
Old 10-11-2003, 08:55 AM
Pro

Originally posted by princed
Interestingly, the G35 sedan got a 7 as well in acceleration (6MT coupe got an 8 and does 0-60 in 5.5, according to most mags). From what I remember about the numbers this publication normally gets, I have a feeling that they test 0-60 times somewhat gingerly. In fact, I think that their testers would pop an aneurysm if they ever managed to chirp the tires... C&D, on the other hand, will probably drop the clutch at 3500rpm, so they'll never be able to evaluate how responsive the car is below that.

BTW -- Are the suspensions different between the manual and auto? I could have sworn they were the same with only the A-SPEC offering a firmer setup...
The 6 speed has thicker anti-roll bars and the model they tested had high performance tires. Those two things should account for a noticable difference between the two.

I can't wait for some testing of the A-Spec version which lowers the TL. I'm guessing it will handle really well, but most likely at a penalty to ride comfort.
Old 10-13-2003, 09:12 AM
Outnumbered at home

They have some very odd scores when you compare them to other cars in the class. Fuel economy = a 5???? What?? they say it gets around 25 with mixed driving, that is bad. They also gave the is300 the same scores in economy and accelleration even though it is a good deal slower and they averaged only 17 or 18 mpg. Odd. Its like they score it on their expectations and not compared to the other cars in the class.
Old 10-13-2003, 09:33 AM
Pro

Originally posted by larchmont
Hey, n4s -- you said Consumer's Digest -- maybe that's not the same thing we're talking about here?

- sorry ment Guide, corrected post. I am glad you found it helpful, I guess after hearing that comment at Consumers Union, I never gave it much a look.

Thanks for the info!
Old 10-13-2003, 10:20 AM
Racer

Very nice evaluation. I have noticed in the past that they tend to favor cars that are quiet with softer rides, over good handling and performance. I ordered the HPT option and I wonder how much noisier the performance tires are. Does anyone know of a quiet performance tire? Also on the value scale they don't like extra cost gadgets (Navi) and tend to reduce for that. I still don't know why they would deduct for the Navi in the interior evaluation.