Consumer Reports: Annual Results News

Old 01-13-2008, 12:05 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Originally Posted by sonnyboyacura
Acura needs to lower the prices of their cars. There's no way in hell I'm paying top dollar for a TL when I could get a BMW, MB or Lexus for comparable money.
I a sense, I think low price is actually part of the problem. There is no "prestige" factor with Acura. Without prestige how can it be a "luxury" brand?

Yes they need a product range, but it doesn't extend far enough up. The RL is supposed to be that car, but how's that working out?

Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
So Acura is a bit surprised by the results -- according to this article. I am too. If it's accurate, then it's worse then I thought

http://wardsauto.com/ar/acura_consum...?CFID=19260468
What's really disturbing is that Acura is doing it's usual "Really? I've never heard of that. I don't think that's right."

Doesn't matter if it's pinging in the TL-S or bad survey's, Acura has a serious case of "not invented here syndrome"; It's a consistent culture of denail when they hear something they don't like. Not good for long term improvement.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
A post I just made in the RL section that is also apropos to this thread....

Originally Posted by jhr3uva90
Of course, that brings me to my favorite question: how important is the luxury market to Honda Motor Corporation? It seems to me that it isn't HMC's top priority.
THIS is the most important question Honda (not Acura) should ask itself. Is HMC going to SPEND THE MONEY to properly place Acura as a luxury brand? We've discussed this many times here.

It takes more than fantastic products, as we have learned from the RL. The RL is a sales dog, but it's not because the car is terrible. It's not a Pinto or an AMC Gremlin, for goodness sakes. I am a great fan of the current RL and I still think all it needs is some low end torque and a huge serving of MARKETING. People need to know the car exists, why SH-AWD is the best thing since sliced bread (though not TOO much info, like how much it takes to activate it ....don't want casualties from bad driving....), and that these torque vectoring AWD systems that the Germans are testing were PIONEERED by HMC.

Which brings me to my point.....if HMC won't (I believe they CAN) spend the money to market Acura as a luxury brand, they might as well give up already. I mean, right now in the Automotive News section is an article regarding a Consumer Reports study that places Acura near the bottom of the pile in reputation. Even worse, Acura released a response to this Consumer Reports article that indicates SHOCK that this was an outcome. Talk about heads in the sand......I love my Acuras but wouldn't have found the brand at all were I not a Honda fan.

I mean, look at me, I am actually considering a CADILLAC the next time around. And this, after 18 years of buying Honda/Acura.

They'd better wake up in Torrance so they can take their priorities to the head guys in Tokyo. Jeez.....I feel like a Mac fan in the mid-90's, pre-Steve Jobs...I'm making the same arguments I made regarding Apple at that time.

OK, I'm off my soapbox now.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:01 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Originally Posted by scv76_
I for one hope Acura stays low on these survey lists; that will keep the price reasonable.
How some of these manufactures can charge as much as they do is criminal.
Is it because they really are better, or because they placed high on a list and can now charge what they want?
That's exactly what Honda Motor Co. doesn't want the Acura brand to be. It wants Acura to be a premium luxury brand, charging UNreasonable price and so making much more profit per Acura vehicle than the cheap Honda brand.

You want reasonable priced vehicles, you go to Honda showrooms. Unfortunately this is the fact of life. The more outrageous price a luxury vehicles is priced (by a well recognized luxury auto brand of course), the more the people is trying hard to own them.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:19 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrdeeno
Wha? They are already the lowest priced/best valued "premium" brand. Any lower and the TSX and TL would be competing head to head with an Accord.

If the price you paid for a TL is comparable to a similarly equipped BMW, MB, or Lexus, then your dealer's laughing all the way to the bank.
Yea I agree!

I paid 31,600 for my BRAND new 08 TL. BMW/MB when equipped with the same options don't come anywhere close to that #.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,629 Likes on 13,880 Posts
Post Japanese Cars Continue to Dominate Consumer Reports' Latest Satisfaction Survey...

From here: http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...03/072362.html

YONKERS, NY - December 4, 2007: Japanese vehicles continue their domination over domestic and European brands in Consumer Reports' Annual Car Owner Satisfaction Survey. Of the 39 car models that made Consumer Reports' latest Most Satisfying car list, 18 toted Japanese nameplates with 10 of those built by Toyota.

For the fourth straight year, the Toyota Prius hybrid was identified by respondents as the most satisfying of any vehicle, with 92 percent of Prius owners indicating they would definitely buy one again. Following closely, were the BMW 335i coupe/convertible and Porsche Boxster, which drew scores of 91 and 90 respectively.

European models accounted for 12 cars on the list--a slight increase from last year. Domestic models remained steady at seven, and for the first time, two South Korean models, the Hyundai Azera (83) and Hyundai Santa Fe (80), made Consumer Reports' Most Satisfying car list.

For the first time in five years, domestic models have gained ground in the family car category, which has been consistently dominated by Japanese nameplates. The Ford Fusion V6 with all-wheel-drive and Saturn Aura were identified by respondents as two of the top four most satisfying family cars behind the Toyota Prius and Toyota Camry Hybrid. The inclusion of the Lincoln MKZ AWD was also a five-year first for a domestic model to be found among the most satisfying Luxury/Upscale cars.

"These latest results suggest that domestic carmakers are getting better at capturing what people want in the car they drive every day," said Rik Paul, automotive editor for Consumer Reports.

Individual owner satisfaction scores for the vehicles on Consumer Reports' Most and Least Satisfying car lists are published in the Consumer Reports January issue, which goes on sale December 4, 2007. The complete report is also available at www.ConsumerReports.org.

European models dominated the sporty car and roadster categories taking 10 of the top 14 spots. While the BMW 335i RWD (91), Porsche Boxster (90) lead the way, the Mini Cooper proved to be a very satisfying vehicle, three versions -- the Cooper S (88), Cooper Convertible (81) and Cooper Hatchback (80) all made the list. Performance generates a strong passion amongst owners, of the top 12 most satisfying cars, half were sports cars.

Consumers Reports Annual Car Owner Satisfaction Survey asks subscribers if they would buy the car or truck they own again, considering its price, performance, comfort, reliability, and enjoyment. In all, subscribers rated their experience with more than 415,000 vehicles and more than 300 separate models, in the survey conducted by the Consumer Reports National Research Center.

Among the least satisfying cars, domestics accounted for 20 of the 22 in the lineup, 15 of which are from General Motors. These included the least satisfying vehicles to own: the Buick Terraza, Chevrolet Uplander and Saturn Relay minivans, with only 34 percent of respondents reporting they would definitely buy or lease one again.

There were no European nameplates listed among the Least Satisfying Car list, but several popular European nameplates, including Jaguar, Land Rover, Mercedes-Benz, Saab and Volvo were absent among the Most Satisfying car list.

Consumer Reports Most Satisfying vehicles are those for which at least 80 percent of owners said they would definitely buy or lease the vehicle again. Consumer Reports Least Satisfying vehicles are those for which less than 50 percent of owners said they would do so. Models are listed within categories in order of most satisfying:

Most Satisfying

-- Small Cars: Honda Fit, Volkswagen Rabbit

-- Family Cars: Toyota Prius, Toyota Camry Hybrid, Ford Fusion V6 (AWD), Saturn Aura

-- Large Cars: Hyundai Azera, Toyota Avalon

-- Upscale/Luxury Cars: Lexus LS 460, Acura TL Type-S, BMW 330i/335i (sedan)

-- Infiniti M35 RWD, Lincoln MKZ (AWD)

-- Sports Cars/Roadsters: Porsche Boxster, Porsche Cayman, Chevrolet Corvette, Mini Cooper S (hatchback), Honda S2000, Porsche 911 Carrera, Mazda MX-5 Miata, Audi S4, Mini Cooper (Convertible), Ford Mustang (V8), Volkswagen GTI, Mini Cooper (hatchback)

-- Coupes/Convertibles: BMW 335i (RWD), Volkswagen Eos

-- Wagons/ Hatchbacks: Mazdaspeed3

-- Minivans: Toyota Sienna, Honda Odyssey

-- SUVs: Lexus RX350, Ford Edge, Toyota Land Cruiser, Chrysler Aspen (4WD), Hyundai Santa Fe, Toyota RAV4 (V6), Toyota 4Runner (V6)

-- Pickup Trucks: Honda Ridgeline, Toyota Tundra (V8)

Least Satisfying

-- Small Cars: Chevrolet Cobalt (coupe, nonturbo), Saturn Ion (sedan), Chevrolet Cobalt (Sedan), Chevrolet Aveo (sedan)

-- Minivans: Ford Freestar, Buick Terraza, Chevrolet Uplander, Saturn Relay

-- SUVs: Chevrolet Trail Blazer (6-cyl., RWD) GMC Envoy (6-cyl., RWD), Suzuki Grand Vitara, Jeep Commander (V6), Chevrolet Equinox, Jeep Grand Cherokee (V6, gas)

-- Pickup Trucks: Dodge Dakota, Chevrolet Colorado (5-cyl.), GMC Envoy (5-cyl.), GMC Canyon (4-cyl.), Ford Ranger, Mazda B-Series, Chevrolet Colorado (4-cyl.), GMC Canyon (4-cyl.)

Complete Owner Satisfaction Scores for all vehicles are available to consumer reports online subscribers. For more information, Consumer Reports Most and Least Satisfying car list are published in the Consumer Reports' January issue, which is goes on sale December 4, 2007. The report also available at www.ConsumerReports.org

The material above is intended for legitimate news entities only; it may not be used for commercial or promotional purposes. Consumer Reports is published by Consumers Union, an expert, independent nonprofit organization whose mission is to work for a fair, just, and safe marketplace for all consumers and to empower consumers to protect themselves. To achieve this mission, we test, inform, and protect. To maintain our independence and impartiality, CU accepts no outside advertising, no free test samples, and has no agenda other than the interests of consumers. CU supports itself through the sale of our information products and services, individual contributions, and a few noncommercial grants.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Yep, gotta watch out for Hyundai... they coming up fast and hard.

What, no G37?
Old 01-14-2008, 07:33 PM
Racer

I am surprise Hyundai Sonata is not up there.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Crazy Sellout
What, no G37?
I doubt it was out long enough to be considered part of the survey. I think it started selling near the end of Aug. 2007, giving them 3 months to send out surveys to new buyers, receive them responses, compile results, and publish. The other models have been out for at least a year if not much longer, giving buyers at least a chance to really get to know their cars before being surveyed whether they will buy again or not, not to mention giving CR plenty of time to receive enough surveys for each model to actually form any meaningful correlation.

Last edited by mrdeeno; 01-14-2008 at 08:41 PM.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:36 PM
Race Director

yeah i don't like the chevy aveo, very unsatisfying
Old 01-19-2008, 10:25 PM
styling on you

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
What, no 5 series?
Old 01-20-2008, 12:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by SeCsTaC
What, no 5 series?
Ugly cars aren't satisfying...?

Old 01-20-2008, 01:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by mrdeeno
I doubt it was out long enough to be considered part of the survey. I think it started selling near the end of Aug. 2007, giving them 3 months to send out surveys to new buyers, receive them responses, compile results, and publish. The other models have been out for at least a year if not much longer, giving buyers at least a chance to really get to know their cars before being surveyed whether they will buy again or not, not to mention giving CR plenty of time to receive enough surveys for each model to actually form any meaningful correlation.

Was sarcasm sir.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy Sellout
Was sarcasm sir.

You did not bracket your post with '[SARCASM] [/SARCASM]', though that may not have necessarily precluded Deeno's response.

Good for Ford (re: Fusion). If the 07 model came with Navi and the 3.5L motor then, I might have purchased one over my 07 AV6.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
I'm never fond of a "most satisfying" list of anything. Anyone with a passion for their cars will always rate it highly. For example, I could never see myself in a Smart car and it's been available in Canada for at least 4 years now. But there are many enthusiasts who love its quirkiness. The market for such a car is small (pardon the pun), so the people who actually pay for such an expensive microcar are gonna like it -- same as Mini -- so I'm not surprised owners like their respective car.

Cliffs notes: useless top 10 to get people to buy their magazine
Old 01-24-2008, 09:50 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Cool Truth About Cars Article

Whither Acura?
By Andrew Dederer
January 22, 2008 - 5,797 Views

lat_hygema_almspetit3939.jpgAcura’s finest marketing moment comes halfway through “Pulp Fiction.” Our “heroes” have made a mess of things; the boss has called in “the cleaner.” Cut to an NSX (the sensible man’s Ferrari) pulling into the drive. Clearly “the cleaner” is well paid, always in a hurry and has no time to worry about his car. Who but car geeks remember this seminal moment? Where is the NSX these days? In fact, where’s Acura? As Consumer Reports (CR) reported, the answer is simple enough: nowhere.

Acura executives were reportedly aghast at CR’s brand perception survey. The study placed the Japanese marque third from the bottom, just above Mitsubishi and Mercury. In many categories, such as “performance image,” not ONE of CR’s 1,720 respondents even MENTIONED Acura. A company spokesman claimed the study was inaccurate, unimportant, subject to change (new models are coming). But the simple truth is that Acura is invisible.

First and foremost, Acura suffers from Honda’s success. Like most automotive brands, Honda offers plenty of toys that were once restricted to luxury cars, from electric windows to premium audio systems. Thanks to trickle down ergonomics, Acura has become a sort of “Mercury done right.” Acura sells a series of gently re-skinned, slightly posher, slightly faster Honda derivatives (sharing platforms, but not bodies).

While Acura’s lineup resembles Mercury in execution, Acura’s inherent– and unexpressed– sales appeal is slightly different. The brand’s current tagline is Advance? Fuhgeddaboutit. At best, Acura is the sensible person’s BMW. (At worst, it’s the poor man’s BMW.)

Luxury cars generally come in two different flavors: wafters and carvers. Wafters emphasize smooth cosseting ride and rich interior fittings. Lexus is the ideal’s poster child. Jaguar and Caddy aim for it. Mercedes and Audi kinda want it, kinda don’t. Acura can’t do it.

On the flip side, carvers emphasize performance uber alles, selling sporty style and aggressive driving dynamics (again, we’re talking about perception). BMW is America’s upmarket carving King. Again, both historically and practically, this is Acura’s natural stomping grounds. This is why Acura’s line-up neatly mirrors much of the propeller people’s products.

In a Honda-sensible way. BMW’s are built for autobahns (though the top end is restricted to 155mph). Acura is built for highways, where 90-some-mph cruising is enough. BMW sells sedans with fussy controls, ridiculously priced options and penalty box passenger seating. Acura sells cars with virtually no options, intuitive ergonomics and actual rear seats. BMWs are expensive. Acuras are not.

So, there’s the template. Now, how do you sell it?

For one thing, Acura needs to return to naming its cars. The Japanese brand ditched its legendary model names for alpha-numerics after Lexus successfully aped Mercedes’ and BMW’s model designations. It cost Acura a huge amount of momentum. Initials are not necessarily the kiss of death; the Honda CR-V sells in huge numbers– it was/is for Acura. But when you’re invisible, making it hard for people to remember your name is just plain dumb.

Acura also needs to address the huge gap in its line-up. The TSX and TL (confused yet?) slot-in neatly as lower-priced BMW 3 and 5-Series alternatives. The RDX and MDX also line up perfectly against Stuttgart’s X-series SUVs. Although Acura doesn’t compete against Bimmer’s ever-expanding line of niche vehicles (thank God), Acura’s top-‘o-the-range RL lacks a logical German competitor.

Critics contend that the RL’s six cylinder engine can’t cut it in a market segment awash in testosterone. But price is the real problem. The RL stickers for around $50k. The 7-Series starts at $70k. More to the point, the Acura TL clocks-in under $34k. Except for a few gadgets and AWD– which the TL may soon receive– the TL is arguably the better car.

That $15k gap contributes to the Acura RL’s less than stellar sales. It’s simply not a sensible choice. The TL is market-slotted right where the original Legend found favor: as the cheapskate’s BMW. Whereas the BMW 7-Series could be considered the wealthy snob’s 5-Series, the RL is nobody’s nothing. It needs to grow, grow stones or disappear.

The importance of a “sensible supercar” at the top of Acura’s range is debatable. As the Consumer Reports brand perception survey indicates, Acura’s need for a powerful and sustained advertising campaign is not.

Lexus and Mercedes aim at the CEO who runs the company. BMW aims at the execs who think they run the company. Acura should be for the middle managers who actually run the company. This is a salable niche. In fact, the demographic is far less vulnerable to economic downturns in the economy than the Lexus, Mercedes or BMW model. But just like the higher-ups, they need to feel that their car is special.

If Acura can build the cars these men and women want and make them Acura-aware, they will be born again. If not, not.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:30 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
I haven't lusted after an Acura in over seven years.

The 2nd Gen CL was a car I wanted. I would have purchased one but in the end couldn't afford it at the time.

Since 2001 I haven't really cared what Acura has done. If someone gave me a RL, I'd gladly take it but otherwise I'm not spending my money on one. The 3G TL was interesting at the time with its gadgets and value but now just about everything has those features.

I'd love to shop an Acura again. I think that in many respects they have always provided good value.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Interesting article. It's amazing, the 2G RL just gets NO respect. These guys need to spend time in one.

Hopefully, this will be the year Acura comes back. It's just a perfect storm for them the last two years, with old models and last year's 10% lower sales. Now we are dealing with a recession (here in Cleveland, we've been in depression for some years already). As a 3-time Acura owner and lover of Hondas for almost 20 years, I really hope Acura can make a return. I shouldn't be lusting after Caddys, yet here I am, strongly considering moving on from Acura. There's just no excitement with Acura anymore.

C'mon Acura, we're pulling for you! Please don't let us down!
Old 01-25-2008, 09:02 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
With the recent unveiling of the 2009 Honda Pilot prototype, I just noticed that Honda picks the most boring color for all of its concepts: silver.

And then I remember the latest Acura concepts turned production models, and it's the same! These people really have no clue about bringing in the passion for their cars.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:46 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Arrow Silver

Maybe they choose silver bc it has been the most popular selling color {recently dethroned by white - see article} but I agree, red or black would make the concept much sexier.

White Hot
Silver loses its long-held top spot as the most popular car color.
by Althea Chang

After seven years wearing the color crown, silver has been dethroned.

For the first time this century, more white cars were manufactured in 2007 than those in any other color, according to DuPont’s most recent color study.

In North America, 19 percent of vehicles manufactured in 2007 were either white or "pearl white," which is white with an iridescent or metallic sheen. Eighteen percent of 2007 vehicles were silver, and 16 percent were black, including black with metallic effects.

White has also taken a decisive lead in other countries, including Japan and Mexico. In Europe, however, black was far and away the top color. See the charts below for the full breakdown.

White had an even stronger showing among luxury cars, where it made up 22 percent of vehicles manufactured in 2007 (5 percent of those were pearl white) and tied with the color black. Silver was the next most common color for luxury cars in 2007, at 20 percent. "Our report is based on quantities of paint sold to OEMs [original equipment manufacturers], production data they share with us, and other sources,” says DuPont spokesperson Rick Straitman.

The color white is increasingly dominant, not just in the auto industry, but in home furnishings, fashion, consumer products, and industrial design, says Leatrice Eiseman, director of the Pantone Color Institute.

White was the most popular color among Chevrolet and Ford buyers, according to J.D. Power and Associates' Power Information Network, which tracks consumers’ buying habits. Dodge buyers preferred red, while BMW, Cadillac, Lexus, and Mercedes-Benz buyers gravitated toward black.

White is also a popular color for so-called fleet vehicles, which are cars and trucks used commercially, such as by power companies and rental agencies, says Global Insight analyst John Wolkonowicz.

Despite white's victory in 2007, silver will still likely be the dominant color on the roads for some time. "Given silver's popularity over the past seven years and the fact that it is still a popular color choice, you should expect to see a high number of silver vehicles on the road for the coming years," says Karen Surcina, color marketing and technology manager at DuPont.

Considering that the average vehicle is on the road for 13 years, according to U.S. Department of Transportation estimates, it could take a decade or more for silver cars to start thinning out, and that’s only if the color decreases in popularity. "When silver first came on the scene [in the mid to late 1990s], it was a high-tech color that corresponded with people's interest in technology and the future," Surcina says. Then the tech bubble burst and the economy started to suffer. As time went on, silver became a “safe” color that consumers could opt for and not worry about it standing out too much, or turning off potential buyers when it came time to resell their vehicles.

Even if white continues to swell in popularity and sparkling particles give the color new life, the trends may not be seen on highways and in driveways for some time. "While palate-cleansing white is expected to usher in a new era in car colors and iridescent paints, and sparkling mica particles and unusual effects are gaining popularity among more adventurous types, most car buyers are still sticking with safe colors like silver and black,” says Christopher Li, industry analyst at the Power Information Network.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:09 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by phile
With the recent unveiling of the 2009 Honda Pilot prototype, I just noticed that Honda picks the most boring color for all of its concepts: silver.

And then I remember the latest Acura concepts turned production models, and it's the same! These people really have no clue about bringing in the passion for their cars.
Every culture has their strengths and weaknesses. Japanese are not known for their "style" and fashion. They need to hire more Italian's from Ferrari, etc. to run those departments. That would be a good start

Is that wrong to say out loud? Sorry if I offended any Japanese or Italians.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:43 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
Interesting article. It's amazing, the 2G RL just gets NO respect. These guys need to spend time in one.

Hopefully, this will be the year Acura comes back. It's just a perfect storm for them the last two years, with old models and last year's 10% lower sales. Now we are dealing with a recession (here in Cleveland, we've been in depression for some years already). As a 3-time Acura owner and lover of Hondas for almost 20 years, I really hope Acura can make a return. I shouldn't be lusting after Caddys, yet here I am, strongly considering moving on from Acura. There's just no excitement with Acura anymore.

C'mon Acura, we're pulling for you! Please don't let us down!
I agree Bob. I've had substantial seat-time in every Acura they've made since 1996 (my brother was a salesman for Acura for 10 years). I now own an 07 RL and 08 MDX. IMO the current RL I own is the best product I think they've ever sold. Inspite of the X being a top seller, the RL is a far better value then the X.

On the other hand, perception is reality. Doesn't matter what I think. It matters what the majority think. In spite of it being a great car for the money, Acura clearly needs to make changes with the RL and the Acura brand in general. They are loosing the war in spite of having great products.

Honda needs to assess their failed strategies over the last 5 years and reorganize going forward . I'm sure your conclusion about a "perfect storm" is also correct. When we look back on the industry in 5 years, 2007 will probably have been the low water mark for Acura.

Last edited by SpicyMikey; 01-26-2008 at 08:46 AM.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:11 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
I didn't know that we had so many marketing experts in this group. None of us truly know what Honda has in mind or expects for Acura. While we all agree that the RL has not met expectations everything else is just guessing. The TSX, TL, and MDX have competed fairly well to this point.

New and updated TSX and TL are both due shortly. The major sore point is the RL. The Honda brand has been and continues as a very successful brand by itself. Acura is a slightly upmarket niche brand that brings additional profit. When and if we get a competitive RL all might be forgiven. Last, I think we would all like to see a QC upgrade.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:34 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by MR1
I didn't know that we had so many marketing experts in this group. None of us truly know what Honda has in mind or expects for Acura. While we all agree that the RL has not met expectations everything else is just guessing. The TSX, TL, and MDX have competed fairly well to this point.

New and updated TSX and TL are both due shortly. The major sore point is the RL. The Honda brand has been and continues as a very successful brand by itself. Acura is a slightly upmarket niche brand that brings additional profit. When and if we get a competitive RL all might be forgiven. Last, I think we would all like to see a QC upgrade.
That may be well and good but at the Auto show yesterday I walked right by the Acura stand, completely uninterested in looking at anything they had there.

Meanwhile, over at Audi and BMW I'm trying to figure out if 60 months of Ramen noodles would kill me.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:43 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Originally Posted by charliemike
That may be well and good but at the Auto show yesterday I walked right by the Acura stand, completely uninterested in looking at anything they had there.

Meanwhile, over at Audi and BMW I'm trying to figure out if 60 months of Ramen noodles would kill me.
They might not kill you but keep the mileage down and stay in warranty!

I agree that Acura needs to do some things differently. No company can be all things to all people. I'm sure that Neuronbob and perhaps you will wander from the fold in the not distant future. I have to ask if we really want Honda/Acura to attempt to be a cradle to grave producer in the likes of the old GM or the new Toyota/Lexus/Scion? My answer is a firm NO.

We can sit and look at the big dogs across the street and wonder why we can't have one all day long. One reason I don't have a horse is because they eat like horses. What we get now serves a fairly large portion of the car buying world but not everyone. There are holes in the product line and it doesn't extend far enough up for some. Why are these such bad things?

Some worship the German feel and technology and there is no substitute. OK, Aucra has nothing for you so enjoy your VW/Audi/BMW/Mercedes. I've been there and no longer have them in my sights.

If you want nothing but the very best in technology, a smooth ride and upscale accessories, Hello Lexus. Major horsepower your thing, American Iron has your number.

Not a thing wrong with any of the ideas or concepts above. I have watched Honda from the time they first introdued cars to the states in the late 1960's. For the most part it has been one hit after another. Not always homeruns but seldom strike-outs either. When they have something I want or need and can afford, I buy it. When they don't or I get bored for a minute, I go elsewhere.

I could go on about such things as what a vechicle is and what we need one for but not now. My point is that Honda does not consult with us directly about what product they should develop but eventually they seem to get it right. Until something else catches my, for me it's my current TL.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:13 PM
Pre-Registered Member

Received 246 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by MR1
They might not kill you but keep the mileage down and stay in warranty!

I agree that Acura needs to do some things differently. No company can be all things to all people. I'm sure that Neuronbob and perhaps you will wander from the fold in the not distant future. I have to ask if we really want Honda/Acura to attempt to be a cradle to grave producer in the likes of the old GM or the new Toyota/Lexus/Scion? My answer is a firm NO.

We can sit and look at the big dogs across the street and wonder why we can't have one all day long. One reason I don't have a horse is because they eat like horses. What we get now serves a fairly large portion of the car buying world but not everyone. There are holes in the product line and it doesn't extend far enough up for some. Why are these such bad things?

Some worship the German feel and technology and there is no substitute. OK, Aucra has nothing for you so enjoy your VW/Audi/BMW/Mercedes. I've been there and no longer have them in my sights.

If you want nothing but the very best in technology, a smooth ride and upscale accessories, Hello Lexus. Major horsepower your thing, American Iron has your number.

Not a thing wrong with any of the ideas or concepts above. I have watched Honda from the time they first introdued cars to the states in the late 1960's. For the most part it has been one hit after another. Not always homeruns but seldom strike-outs either. When they have something I want or need and can afford, I buy it. When they don't or I get bored for a minute, I go elsewhere.

I could go on about such things as what a vechicle is and what we need one for but not now. My point is that Honda does not consult with us directly about what product they should develop but eventually they seem to get it right. Until something else catches my, for me it's my current TL.

You are right, if bland is to your liking then Honda is your company. But for most of us a bit of spice is required, at least before we get to be so old we no longer can enjoy it. Reliability along just doesn't cut it anymore.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:35 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Originally Posted by odessa
You are right, if bland is to your liking then Honda is your company. But for most of us a bit of spice is required, at least before we get to be so old we no longer can enjoy it. Reliability along just doesn't cut it anymore.

One persons trash is someone elses treasure. I spent a lot of words saying that a few post up. I did it without name calling or belittling anyone on purpose. If you're lucky, one day you may be older.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:40 PM
Pinky all stinky

Originally Posted by MR1

New and updated TSX and TL are both due shortly.
Not holding my breath for the new TSX after seeing the teaser pics of the Euro Accord.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:47 PM
Pinky all stinky

Originally Posted by TSX69
[FONT=Georgia] [COLOR=Red]Maybe they choose silver bc it has been the most popular selling color {recently dethroned by white - see article} but I agree, red or black would make the concept much sexier.
I think that's their rationale as well. However, they should realize it's an auto show, not a sales floor.

Fashion designers throw outrageous crap out on the catwalk, and 100% of it gets toned down for the mass market retailers.

It's the same with auto shows, half of the concepts never make it. And the ones that do, get toned down. But at least their concepts wowed the audience. Can't say that about Honda/Acura's concepts when they're wearing silver.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:36 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Just to sum up my opnion.... Honda/Acura isn't boring to me at all. Its just that there are many more interesting options out there. At my age there aren't currently many Acuras that interest me. If it were 5-10 years ago it would be a totally different story.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Acura executives were reportedly aghast at CR’s brand perception survey. The study placed the Japanese marque third from the bottom, just above Mitsubishi and Mercury. In many categories, such as “performance image,” not ONE of CR’s 1,720 respondents even MENTIONED Acura. A company spokesman claimed the study was inaccurate, unimportant, subject to change (new models are coming). But the simple truth is that Acura is invisible.
Pretty good article... and this paragraph pretty much sums it up... Acura needs to do something or resign itself to be on the bottom w/ Mitsubishi and Mercury...

When I think sporty cars, I don't think of Acura anymore.. Acura to me means sedans and suv's for soccer moms... Sensible and safe... Advance ?? Give me sportiness over tech gadgets... Acura does really need to project a more "performance image", but with the rumored sub-nsx being replaced with rumors of a crossover vehicle, it looks like Acura doesn't care about sports cars...

If you want sport, buy a Honda S2k or a Civic SI, or a Honda Accord HFP Coupe... or buy another brand... That's the message from Acura I'm getting...
Old 01-28-2008, 09:20 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Acura stretches itself too thin.... they're trying to offer a lower-priced, high performance technologically advanced and reliable automobile. Great recipe but they just can't carry through with it effectively.

The initials really did affect Acura a lot. A girl argued with me once that the RSX is not the Integra. The names Legend and Integra would have helped them a lot. However, TL, TSX and MDX are now making a name for themselves.

They need a true flagship. Something bad ass, like a new NSX, market it as an Acura, and people will be curious and begin associating Acura with luxury-performance. They need to stop cutting corners and making their cars more reliable, mainly the automatic and manual transmissions.

People my age don't really consider Acura products. I always suggest them, but they all want BMW, MB or Lexus but can't afford it, and still don't want the similar yet lower priced Acuras.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:37 AM
TMQ
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You know, I've been criticizing Acura for sometime, but the survey itself by CR - I have to say it's just crap, absolute crap.

First, it's pointless to group regular and premium brands together. Most people who have no money to buy luxury cars know the regular brands well, but probably never bother to ever research premium brands. Ford, GM, Toyota, and Honda are for mass markets, and the average Joe hears a lot about them.

Second, Acura is one vehicle that usually will not rank the top in any particular category, when people consider entry / luxury cars, but can be at the general top 5 areas. When people are forced to name one brand to questions like "When you think of performance, what car best typifies to you performance?”, they are asked to name one brand. A survey like this is just bad. You need to ask people to do a top 5 list. It also has a lot to do with the amount of advertising; Acura just isn't doing enough of that.

Third, who are the people taking the surveys? West coast? Michigan? As the Acura spokesperson says, "small sample size and the survey’s methodology are “not indicative of the real world and especially not indicative of luxury buyers.""

Fourth, the numbers/points throwing around by CR don't make any sense.

Acura sells a good number of cars, so does Audi, because they offer good sport/luxury features at a price more reasonable than Lexus, BMW and MB. While the survey reflects some aspect of the reality, they are really not that meaningful and have little to do with people's buying behavior.

Acura is about value for good performance and good reliability. I don't know why it wants to keep showing the technology aspect - it's not really that advanced compared to the ones from MB and BMW, and it's really not the key thing about cars. I personally believe that Acura needs to focus on performance, reliability and value, offer luxury options not available to Honda, and make cars to showcase such focus.

I believe the existing models already do well in the performance aspect - TSX, TL, RDX, and MDX, except RL, and needs to do a lot of work for the flagship models to emphasize the level of luxury that goes with performance.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:58 AM
failhard.

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
It's just too bad none of you will ever even see the inside of an Acura design meeting room. I'm starting to believe a majority of AZ members would do far better than anyone and everyone involved with the higher-up Honda/Acura suits.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:23 PM
Moto Enthusiast

To me Acura is undergoing an identity crisis and they have no clue where they should really be in the luxury market. When I think of luxury cars in terms of Japanese and Germans, I equate the following:

Lexus/Mercedes

Infiniti/BMW

Acura/?????????????

With SH-AWD being implemented in more of their cars, the logical conclusion would be to draw a parallel towards Audi, but instead, they make dumb comments like...

"We want to rival Bentley and Maybach in performance and design," Dave Marek, chief designer for Honda R&D Americas told industry trade publication Automotive News in an interview.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:33 PM
Senior Moderator

^ Acura/Hyundai
Old 01-30-2008, 03:21 PM
Senior Moderator

No,

Acura/Audi. Everybody realizes that but Acura. They keep tilting at BMW, not realizing that as long as they stay FWD, that race is lost from the very beginning. The TL handles AMAZINGLY well for a FWD car....it is probably the best-handling FWD car on the market....it hangs with the RWD big boys....but it's not RWD.

I'd have a little more respect if they just said "we're going to be the Japanese Audi" as that's exactly what they're doing by adding SH-AWD across the line and making the TSX and TL with SH-AWD optional. I would accept that outcome and feel that SH-AWD is better than the Quattro system.

As I say on the RL board frequently, SH-AWD is the shiznit. Acura should flaunt it, not hide it in some insane desire to be like BMW.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Post Consumer Reports: Top cars for 2008...

From here: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...tm#ToyotaPrius

This year’s Top Picks in 10 categories include four new models. For the first time since 2005, a U.S. model, the redesigned Chevrolet Silverado, made the list as our choice in pickup trucks. And for the first time ever, a South Korean automaker is represented: The Hyundai Elantra SE and Santa Fe are our top small sedan and midsized SUV, respectively. The fourth new entry is the Lexus LS 460L, the highest-scoring vehicle we’ve tested and best among luxury sedans.

Choosing the Top Picks

Our Top Picks are the most well-rounded models in their categories. Each must meet these stringent requirements:

Road tests: Each Top Pick scores at or near the top of its category among more than 260 vehicles we’ve recently tested at our Auto Test Center.

Reliability: Each has an average or better predicted-reliability Rating, based on the problems subscribers reported on almost 1.3 million vehicles in our Annual Car Reliability Survey.

Safety: Top Picks have performed adequately in overall safety if tested by the government or the insurance industry. Starting this year, they also must provide a critical safety feature, electronic stability control (ESC), either as standard equipment or as a readily available option.

Green car - Toyota Prius
Small sedan - Hyundai Elantra SE
Family sedan - Honda Accord
Upscale sedan - Infiniti G35
Luxury sedan - Lexus LS 460L
Fun to drive - Mazda MX-5 Miata
Small SUV - Toyota RAV4
Midsized SUV - Hyundai Santa Fe
Minivan - Toyota Sienna
Pickup truck - Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
Old 02-28-2008, 07:29 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
wow, i dont like any of those cars and actually hate most of them...
Old 02-28-2008, 09:54 PM
Racer

No german cars?
Old 02-29-2008, 06:02 AM
Racer

Wow, Two Hyundai's!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Consumer Reports: Annual Results News