Consumer Reports: Annual Results News

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 10:17 AM
A-TSX Newbie, my ass

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by rb1
That's not at all fair. I'm a big fan of CR but own a VW Jetta. In fact, it's my second one. First one was crap, traded it 18 months later for a 1.8T, second one is fine except for some rattles.

Being how I owned a trouble-free Integra for 11 years and 200K miles, I've tried very hard to get back into the Acura fold. If the TSX had been around in 2000 when I first bought a Jetta, there would have been no question. I would have bought a TSX.

Now that I've strayed into the German car camp, I can't seem to come back. It doesn't matter what I test drive (G35, IS300, TSX, and CL-S), I like my own car better, even if it won't be as reliable as the Acura. The 325i would suit me but I'm a tightwad and won't spend that much (and my car has a much nicer clutch ).

Sigh. I keep trying, though. After all, I'm still hanging out around here for some weird reason. Maybe it will rub off or something...
Damn near my sentiments exactly.

The TSX is soooooooo close to being great, but it "just misses" in a few areas. (Fake interior trim, no heated mirrors, no satellite radio, a bare-bones trunk)

Since Acura deserted me in 1996 -- and then I deserted them in 1999 -- to this point in time, I cannot bring myself to dump my A4 for a TSX (reliability and resale not withstanding).
Old 09-09-2003, 10:19 AM
Pro

Originally posted by jcg878
I respectfully disagree. We have a 2003 Passat v6 GLX (her car), and the ride is superior to that of the TSX. It doesn't handle as well, and it's no quicker, but the ride is smoother and more comfortable. At 16k, we've had no rattles or reliability issues and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

About CR, I think other people have already got it right. They have a slant towards practicality and they are useful for that. It a way, CR balances the views of the car mags and Edmunds that are biased towards performance without really considering reliability in any meaningfull way.

The way I see it is, if you follow just the car mags, you might end up with a great performing car that will fall apart around you and won't hold your golf clubs. If you follow just CR, you'll end up with your parents' car.
I appreciate your feedback, but I still feel that the TSX has better ride and handling characteristics. If your Passat GLX is a 4Motion model than it has a different rear suspension than the FWD models. The V6 also utilizes heavier duty shocks (due to the additional weight). Those things may account for the difference.

As far as rattles go, check out ClubB5 or VWVortex and you'll find plenty of owners with the same problem. Your Passat is still very new. Mine didn't start to really rattle until during my second winter of ownership at around 25k miles.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:39 AM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by domn
rb1, have you heard that the new Golf (due out in 05 in NA) is 80% stiffer than its predesessor? It makes me wonder if the old one was made of swiss cheese?
Hee. Hee.

I seem to recall one of the Integra generations -- can't remember if it was the 2nd or 3rd -- making almost exactly the same claim (80% more torsional rigidity or something like that) regarding the previous generation.

As a practical matter, if the numbers are already small to start with then claims like this may seem interesting from a marketing perspective but are otherwise rather irrelevant. If a car body is already on the stiff side, then one 80% stiffer isn't really going to feel much different.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:09 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Supreme Court allows Suzuki to sue Consumer Reports

Supreme Court allows Suzuki to sue Consumer Reports

Reuters / November 03, 2003

WASHINGTON -- The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday rejected an appeal by the publisher of Consumer Reports magazine of a ruling that Suzuki Motor Corp. can proceed to trial with its lawsuit over an article saying the Suzuki Samurai rolled over too easily.

Without comment, the justices declined to review a U.S. appeals court ruling that a jury should determine whether Consumer Reports rigged tests before giving the SUV a "not acceptable" rating in a 1988 article.

The appeals court ruled Suzuki had presented enough evidence in reinstating the lawsuit claiming "product disparagement." It sent the case back for a trial to decide whether the magazine made statements it knew were false.

A federal judge in California initially dismissed the lawsuit on the grounds that Suzuki had not sufficiently supported its claim that the magazine acted maliciously to damage the reputation of the Samurai.

Consumers Union, the magazine's publisher, appealed to the Supreme Court. Jim Guest, its president, said the case involved important First Amendment issues about freedom of the press and the right of reviewers to state facts truthfully and express judgments.

Guest said that if the Supreme Court allowed the appeals court ruling to stand, it would set "a dangerous precedent by allowing disgruntled companies to misuse the judicial system to intimidate and punish their reviewers and critics."

A number of news media companies, the Consumer Federation of America, representing more than 50 million individuals, and the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety supported the appeal.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:42 AM
1-2-3-4-5-6-speeeeeed!!!!

wow, I remembered that whole big issue with the Samurai, so it is finally resolved!
Old 11-03-2003, 09:45 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Now that this is going to have to be settled in court, it will be interesting to see if it's litigated or not.
Old 11-03-2003, 02:17 PM
Banned

Guest is arguing a different topic:

Suziki is not suing for libel, they are saying Consumer Reports rigged the test.

This sets no precedent other than that Coprs. can sue if they beleive there is an corrupt review.
Old 11-03-2003, 03:44 PM
I Feel Too Old Here

who cares. in 1988 i was 2 years old.
Old 11-03-2003, 04:19 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That whole stigma that CR gave the Suzuki Samurai really has stuck however. When i think of an SUV rolling over this is the first that comes to mind.
Old 11-03-2003, 04:50 PM
A-CL Totaled Member

the samurai shouldnt even be street legal
Old 11-03-2003, 05:25 PM
is Pretty Much a Moron

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I don't care....I still value what CR has to say, and certainly don't think they rigged it.....
Old 11-04-2003, 07:13 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Consumer Reports: Buick Regal is the most reliable family sedan

"Rental" Regal Wins Notice in CR
By Jim Burt

The Buick Regal is the most reliable family sedan, knocking off perennial leaders Toyota Camry and Nissan Maxima in Consumer Reports' latest ratings. The Regal is among a flock of newly recommended cars and trucks sold by Detroit in the consumer guide.

Ford Motor Co. had eighteen vehicles recommended in the latest guide, with most of the vehicles getting recommendations because their reliability improved to at least "average." Ford's Explorer sport-utility vehicle, Focus compact car and Escape small SUV received recommendations whereas they were not recommended a year ago. For GM, the Buick Park Avenue sedan, Buick Rendezvous SUV, Saturn L300 sedan, as well as several GMC and Chevrolet full-size trucks also improved to at least average.

Chrysler counts the Dodge Ram pickup and Neon among its newly recommended vehicles.

Meanwhile, new glitchy technology is hurting European brands in the ratings. All Mercedes Benz, Audis, Jaguars, and Land Rovers scored below average. The BMW 7-Series sedan, X5 sport utility, and MINI Cooper were below average.

Asians still dominate the lists of most reliable vehicles. Honda, Toyota, Nissan, and Mazda have most of their vehicles rated average or above average. Consumer Reports bases the reliability results on a survey last spring of 675,000 respondents.
Old 11-04-2003, 07:35 AM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Glad to see Detriot is turning things around. However i'd take any of those cars over a buick Regal.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:01 AM
Kabachitare!

Isn't the Regal going to get axed next year and replaced with a new car?
Old 11-04-2003, 08:03 AM
is Pretty Much a Moron

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by kansaiwalker1
Isn't the Regal going to get axed next year and replaced with a new car?
Definately, GM certainly can't have a reliable car in its line up!!!
Old 11-04-2003, 08:09 AM
Intermediate

Originally posted by Chaptorial
Glad to see Detriot is turning things around. However i'd take any of those cars over a buick Regal.
I wouldn't mind a Regal GSX, IF I had to own one.

Regal GSX
Old 11-04-2003, 08:24 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally posted by factory
I wouldn't mind a Regal GSX, IF I had to own one.

Regal GSX
What a silly car. The wheels are horrible. Yes it's got 280hp, but going through an old 4-speed auto.

That car really isn't worth more than $20k.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:54 AM
Instructor

Well, the Europeans better wake up and realize that they need to correct their quality issues. I love euro cars, own an Audi A4 now, but I mod mine, so I don't mind taking it to the shop now and then. But for normal people, they hate any problems that arise and this will tarnish the euro brands image.
Old 11-04-2003, 12:11 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally posted by TypeSAddict
Definately, GM certainly can't have a reliable car in its line up!!!
Old 11-06-2003, 01:25 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Consumer Reports upcoming auto preview issue

This will be the blurb on the TSX:

"The TSX is a successor to the Integra sedan, which left the Acura lineup with the introduction of the RSX in 2001. Based on the smaller Accord sold in Japan and Europe, this four-door vehicle, positioned below the TL, fills the void in Acura's entry-level sedan line-up. It features a smooth-revving engine and a slick manual or automatic transmission. Handling is more agile than the Accord's. The TSX hopes to be perceived by the buying public as a more affordable alternative to sports sedans such as the Audi A4, BMW 325i, or Lexus IS300. "

Interesting information on reliability of Acura's competition: BMW 3-series is back on the recommeneded list. G35 was above average, Audi A4 was below average with some improvement.
Old 12-31-2003, 03:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Consumer Reports Reviews the TL

On the very first page, the subheading is, "Upscale Sedans: Inside and out, the redesigned Acura TL is best in its class."

Redesigned for 2004, the Acura TL is a significant improvement over the previous version. Overall, it scored well enough in our tests not only to top this month's group, but to edge out the BMW 330i as the best upscale sedan that we've tested (see the Ratings chart on the facing page). The 330i had held the top ranking for nearly three years.

The TL is based on the Honda Accord V6, which has also received excellent scores in our tests. It's more fun to drive than its predecessor and feels more like a sports sedan. The TL also has a comfortable, impeccably detailed interior and a refined 3.2-liter V6 engine that achieved both the quickest acceleration and best fuel economy of this group.

Most of the top models in the upscale-sedan category use rear-wheel drive, which typically helps a car's handling and steering. While the front-wheel-drive TL didn't quite match the BMW 330i in at-the-limit handling performance, its agility and power make it invigorating to drive. At $33,150, it also costs about $7,000 less than a comparably equipped 330i.

Ratings: Upscale Sedans

1. Acura TL*
2. BMW 330i
3. Lexus IS300
4. Lexus ES330*
5. Mercedes-Benz C320
6. Lincoln LS Premium V6
7. Audi A4 3.0 Quattro
8. Cadillac CTS
9. Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE
10. Infiniti I35
11. Saab 9-3 Aero
12. Infiniti G35
13. Jaguar X-Type 3.0
14. Saab 9-5 Arc*
15. Volvo S60 2.5T*

*in this issue.

Acura TL

Highs | Acceleration, fuel economy, handling, transmission, quietness, fit and finish, value.

Lows | Turning circle, rear seat doesn't fold.

The redesigned Acura TL provides an excellent blend of comfort, convenience, and sportiness. It delivers taut, agile handling and the quickest acceleration and best fuel efficiency of this group. We also liked the impressive interior, comfortable ride, and quiet cabin. Although it provided the best handling in this group, the TL doesn't match the overall driving experience of the BMW 330i. Reliability should be better than average.

The Driving Experience

The TL's firm ride is well-controlled, with good isolation from bumps. The highway ride is steady, and the cabin is very quiet. The wide turning circle is one of the few negatives.

The Acura feels taut and responsive in cornering, with well-contained body lean. The nicely weighted steering is communicative and quick. In emergency-handling tests, the TL demonstrated good tire grip and cornering balance, and it proved secure in our avoidance maneuver, where it posted the fastest speed of the group.

Powered by a smooth 270-hp, 3.2-liter V6, the TL is noticeably quicker than the other cars here. Even with such high horsepower, the car was largely devoid of torque steer, a tendency for the front wheels to briefly pull the vehicle off its intended line under strong acceleration (common in front-wheel-drive cars). The engine is coupled with a smooth and responsive five-speed automatic transmission.

The TL gets a respectable 23 mpg overall and meets Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle standards, which means that it is 50 percent cleaner than the average 2004 model. Braking was very good. The standard HID low-beam headlights have a sharp cutoff that can be annoying to the driver and oncoming traffic. High-beam distance is good.

Inside the Cabin

The interior is impressive, with precise fit and flawless execution. Outward visibility was excellent for all drivers behind the tilt and telescoping steering wheel. The firm, comfortable front seats provide good support. The roomy rear bench has ample leg and head room, but it is a bit low. Three adults will fit with moderate side contact. Access is easy.

Controls are well-placed and readable, with most lit at night. Minor gripes include a long reach to the defogger controls and obscured mirror controls. Cabin storage space is good. There are two sturdy cupholders in both the front and rear. Unlike the Saab and Volvo, the rear seatback does not fold to expand trunk space.

Safety Notes

Front-air-bag deployment varies, depending on impact force and safety-belt usage. Sensors in the passenger seat disable the side air bag if an occupant leans into its deployment path. The rear center seat lacks a head restraint.

Driving with Kids: Some rear-facing infant seats may have too much tilt in the rear seats when installed with the car's safety belts. The LATCH and top-tether anchors are awkward to access.
Old 12-31-2003, 04:29 PM
More On

Great get, RJC! Can't wait to get my issue.

"Best handling in the group"!!!!!

That's what was suggested by the figures that were posted at the TL ride-and-drives, but it seems nobody put much faith in those.

BTW -- Since almost everybody agrees that the TSX's handling is even better than the TL's....... TSX =
Old 12-31-2003, 05:40 PM
5th Gear

Could you post the performance numbers and the ratings it got in each category. maybe 5's can be for full red dots and 1's for the black dotts.

2002 Acura RSX
Old 12-31-2003, 06:03 PM
More On

I think it's a pretty good guess that the TL got "full red dots" in everything except reliability, which they usually leave blank for a re-design.
Old 12-31-2003, 06:08 PM
5th Gear

lets not guess and get real facts
Old 01-02-2004, 04:31 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

I remember it had a 1/2 black dot for "headlights". I believe they also predicted above average reliability... seems they like to do that with cars that have a history of good reliability, but not with those that do not.

Also... best handling in the group referred to the cars they feature in that issue - the TL, ES330, 9-5, and S60. They give kudos to the 330i as the best handler in the overall group of 15 lux sedans, but say the Acura is a better overall package.

Good review for Acura
Old 01-02-2004, 08:18 PM
5th Gear

If someone does have the Feb Issue of CR with the TL, PLEASE post what each category got in the dots. Thanks
Old 01-03-2004, 12:08 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

We loaned our issue to a friend who's car shopping - that's where I got that data from. I'll post results when we get it back if nobody else does.
Old 01-03-2004, 12:46 PM
5th Gear

Thanks your awesome!
Old 01-05-2004, 12:29 PM
Acura Lover!

1 to 5, with 5 being the best.
Acceleration-5; Transmission-5; Routine Handling-5; Emergency Hndling-4; Braking- 4; Headlights-2; Ride-4; Noise-4; Driving Position-4; Front Seat Comfort-4; Rear Seat Comfort-4; Access-4; Controls and Display-5; Interior Fit and Finish-5; Trunk- 3; Predicted Reliability-4.
Old 01-05-2004, 12:41 PM
More On

Hmmm. Some little surprises in there, IMO.

-- Emergency handling not quite as good as routine handling?
-- Headlights BELOW AVERAGE?????????
-- Ride, I think maybe a little better than it deserved. But most people like the ride better than I do.
-- "Access," only above average, not highest? I guess they're getting used to SUV's.
-- I don't understand the Reliability rating at all. I'm surprised they gave it anything. I thought they usually left it blank for re-designs. I guess they're giving it "credit" for Acura's track record -- but in that case, I woulda thought it would be a 5, not a 4.
I guess the "4" was a compromise between "It's an Acura" and "Who tf knows."

But I'm not complaining.

Can't wait for the full review of the TSX.
Old 01-05-2004, 01:02 PM
Race Director

Received 631 Likes on 507 Posts
You should see how this is received on the G35 forums. Mention this over there and you will get your head handed to you.

While this is a good review you have to weigh what's important to you when deciding on a new car. If the headlights work for you then it's a 5 and you don't have to worry. But if you try an emergency manuver (read spirited driving) and to you it feels like a 2 then you might want to consider other cars on the list.
Old 01-18-2004, 12:03 AM
Racer

Are the headlights like the TSX's? That'd explain something... the TSX's headlights cut off too early.
Old 01-18-2004, 12:06 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by dnl2ba
Are the headlights like the TSX's? That'd explain something... the TSX's headlights cut off too early.
Just aim them higher. It's a five minute job and all you need is a Philips screwdriver and a wall.
Old 01-18-2004, 01:15 AM
More On

.....I had that done on my TSX. It helped, but it pisses off the people coming the other way. And I don't want to blind them, for my sake as well as theirs.

I think I'm gonna have the lights put back down a bit.
Old 01-18-2004, 02:20 AM
Racer

It just needs a more gradual cutoff. Don't need the full intensity in oncoming drivers' eyes.
Old 01-18-2004, 03:09 AM
More On

Yeah -- but I don't see how you could accomplish exactly that.
We're talking about what we can actually DO.
Old 01-18-2004, 09:06 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by larchmont
.....I had that done on my TSX. It helped, but it pisses off the people coming the other way. And I don't want to blind them, for my sake as well as theirs.

I think I'm gonna have the lights put back down a bit.
I used to worry about pissing people off with my lights aimed up a bit but then I thought about all the monster suv's that have HID's. There's no way that their lights are aimed as low as ours are. The headlights on a Yukon Denai are level with our headrests! So unless GM aims them straight into the ground we have to stare straight into the bulbs. I had a Denali pull up behind me the other day and I thought I was going to get a tan with all that light coming through my cabin.
Old 02-04-2004, 10:06 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I just looked at the Feb. Consumer Reports at my local library. Two things that haven't yet been mentioned on our board caught my eye.

1. CR states that the TL auto gets 35mpg highway. How can that be? Its a V6. The TSX I4 auto is only rated 31mpg highway.

2. The MB C320 got a black dot (poor rating) in reliability. So long to the MB precision engineering reputation. I've heard that the C200 class has experienced problems and I figured it was because they started to cut corners to lower the price. Now the poor reliability is migrating upward into the C300 class. Not good for MB.

Any comments?
Old 02-04-2004, 06:23 PM
Burning Brakes

they didn't say 35mpg was the epa rating, did they? 35mpg is easy to attain in the TL with just highway driving, so maybe that was their observed fuel economy on a highway test

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports: Annual Results News