Consumer Reports: Annual Results News

Old 02-28-2017, 08:37 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by Kense
I really like the new A4, do they have a black optics package yet for it? What issues are you experiencing? The thing that worries me about the new Audi's are all the electronics in there now. The virtual gauges seem like something that will end up being a problem.
Not sure what the black optic package is.

The issue I am having is a goofy electrical gremlin where my car opens the back driver side window about a quarter inch when the car starts.

It's weird, a little annoying, but not particularly a big deal. It's in the shop for it right now, but they're struggling to reproduce the issue. I have done it about 4 times in a month or so of starts.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:49 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
This year Chrysler, Acura, Infiniti, and Cadillac were the most upwardly mobile. Chrysler rose seven places, and the other three brands each moved up six places compared with last year.
I don't get this. Acura moved up 6 places? Every chart shows it moving down. Or am I missing something?

Edit: yeah it's probably just me. Those charts are goofy at best. Wait. Might be because I'm viewing on my phone. I dunno.

Last edited by TacoBello; 02-28-2017 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:30 PM
Azine Jabroni

Originally Posted by TacoBello
I don't get this. Acura moved up 6 places? Every chart shows it moving down. Or am I missing something?

Edit: yeah it's probably just me. Those charts are goofy at best. Wait. Might be because I'm viewing on my phone. I dunno.
The graph is goofy. The lines don't really justify the rankings in some place.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:23 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
I bought this B8 A4 Avant brand new back in 2010. Currently sitting at around 78k miles. I've never had any issues. Only changed the fluids, front brake pads and rotors and tires.

Love the car, it's a tank. Audi has been very good since 2009 models.

by https://www.flickr.com/photos/js85/, on Flickr
The following 10 users liked this post by JS + XES:
1killercls (03-02-2017), Costco (03-01-2017), JT4 (03-01-2018), kurtatx (02-28-2017), mrmako (02-22-2018), nist7 (03-04-2017), nothome17 (03-06-2017), RPhilMan1 (03-01-2017), Sarlacc (02-28-2017), TylerT (03-01-2017) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-28-2017, 10:27 PM
Azine Jabroni

I like that Audi, like Tesla, leans for evolutionary updates so my car looks related to yours and yours still looks good and modern as ever.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:25 AM
Turd Polisher

Received 3,006 Likes on 1,514 Posts
Originally Posted by JS + BRZ
I bought this B8 A4 Avant brand new back in 2010. Currently sitting at around 78k miles. I've never had any issues. Only changed the fluids, front brake pads and rotors and tires.

IMG_2728 by JS + MS3, on Flickr
Clean your damn wheels

Let me know when you're in town! I want to see ze tuned Avant
Old 03-01-2017, 11:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by kurtatx
Not sure what the black optic package is.

The issue I am having is a goofy electrical gremlin where my car opens the back driver side window about a quarter inch when the car starts.

It's weird, a little annoying, but not particularly a big deal. It's in the shop for it right now, but they're struggling to reproduce the issue. I have done it about 4 times in a month or so of starts.
The black Optic Package is when they black out all the chrome as a factory option. Yeah those electrical issues are quite common with German cars. Very annoying.

The following users liked this post:
kurtatx (03-04-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 12:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Love your car

I'd even go further back with Audi. We had an 06 B7 A4 and loved it. No problems at all. Upgraded to a C6 A6 and it had one minor issue fixed under warranty quickly and easily... smooth sailing otherwise. We've since become a Mercedes family but not b/c of any issues with Audi. Great cars and great ownership experience all around...
Old 03-01-2017, 02:20 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,454 Likes on 923 Posts
I love Audi. My parents' 2013 Allroad hasn't had any problems, either.

I would seriously consider an S3 or S4 if they still offered a manual transmission. S4 starts at $50k now though.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:03 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts

IMG_2728 by JS + MS3, on Flickr
How do you like it in terms of power? I've heard issues on Audizine/world about the 2.0T.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:52 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
Originally Posted by Kense
Actually yes, I am traumatized to the point I had sworn off Audi due to the costs and constant trips to the dealership. I had a 2010 S4, my water pump failed, oil consumption problems, error codes with the differential and my sunroof had a leak. It was a real pain in the ass.

Originally Posted by juniorbean
I'd even go further back with Audi. We had an 06 B7 A4 and loved it. No problems at all. Upgraded to a C6 A6 and it had one minor issue fixed under warranty quickly and easily... smooth sailing otherwise. We've since become a Mercedes family but not b/c of any issues with Audi. Great cars and great ownership experience all around...
^^ Looking at above comments...such is the case I see play out fairly commonly. A particular good/bad car ownership can color one's perception of an entire brand. Just the way the human mind works...we are more emotional and not as rational and data-driven. And indeed no reliable dataset exists of actual reliability (not just the CR surveys with its own flaws, but potentially data from repair networks, dealers, and potentially distributed data-reporting to a OEM central computer from today's sophisticated car computers...) as I've mentioned in other threads and IF such data set exists then it may be manufacturer's proprietary info that will likely never come to public light.

And as they always say, the truth is probably somewhere in between.

And survey reports like CR likely is a rough comparative guide that may have general truth....ie Lexus is likely more reliable than Jeep --> probably a true statement.

But individual separations will likely be much muddier/difficult to interpret and making comparative statements within closely clustered brands will be not nearly as true as larger statements as above

Last edited by nist7; 03-01-2017 at 04:54 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:22 PM
I drive a Subata.

I like that Audi, like Tesla, leans for evolutionary updates so my car looks related to yours and yours still looks good and modern as ever.
Yeah! The car still looks fairly sophisticated. I actually prefer B8 to the newer ones. The new ones look a bit vanilla now that they are trying to keep their design theme going.

Originally Posted by TylerT
Clean your damn wheels

Let me know when you're in town! I want to see ze tuned Avant
I cleaned the edges!!! by doing donuts in snow hahahaha

I'm going down tomorrow to unload my ROM since it's going to be their first one! The dyno tuning will be on 15th/16th. I'll hit you up closer to that day! Let's meet up, I want to check your headliner too!

Want to find some cool spots to take some photos down there. Let's do a double date photoshoot! Audizine baby hahaha

Originally Posted by juniorbean
Love your car

Originally Posted by RPhilMan1
I love Audi. My parents' 2013 Allroad hasn't had any problems, either.

I would seriously consider an S3 or S4 if they still offered a manual transmission. S4 starts at $50k now though.
I would love a S3 with 6MT. I'm in love with their grey color

Originally Posted by TheChamp531
How do you like it in terms of power? I've heard issues on Audizine/world about the 2.0T.
The peak torque kicks in very low, the car has more than enough power to merge the freeway any way I want to.

I do take this car up Angeles Crest Highway for some fun cruises with my canyon group. Everything's stock but it's fast enough to surprise my buddies in sports cars. haha

I'm getting it stock dyno tuned in 2 weeks. Will see how that goes. APR stage 1 OTS tune with 91 oct gas gets the car 55whp/55wtq. So it would be pretty significant.

Originally Posted by nist7
^^ Looking at above comments...such is the case I see play out fairly commonly. A particular good/bad car ownership can color one's perception of an entire brand. Just the way the human mind works...we are more emotional and not as rational and data-driven. And indeed no reliable dataset exists of actual reliability (not just the CR surveys with its own flaws, but potentially data from repair networks, dealers, and potentially distributed data-reporting to a OEM central computer from today's sophisticated car computers...) as I've mentioned in other threads and IF such data set exists then it may be manufacturer's proprietary info that will likely never come to public light.

And survey reports like CR likely is a rough comparative guide that may have general truth....ie Lexus is likely more reliable than Jeep --> probably a true statement.

But individual separations will likely be much muddier/difficult to interpret and making comparative statements within closely clustered brands will be not nearly as true as larger statements as above
Your post has no point. My opinion is based on my personal experience as well as the consensus on Audizine. It's not just driven by the emotion. We aren't fanboys over here.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:21 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Your post has no point. My opinion is based on my personal experience as well as the consensus on Audizine. It's not just driven by the emotion. We aren't fanboys over here.

We can only work with what we are given. Anecdotal experience is just that, but my friend has more experience than all of us combined, probably. He's the main service writer for a big European shop, and in the past 5 years has been a tech and writer for different general repair shops.

He's experienced in working on and writing up many, many different cars. He had an E36 M3 a long time ago as well. After his years in service, taking classes and seminars for training, he refers to BMW, Mercedes, and Audi models pieces of shit given how expensive, complicated, and generally unreliable they've been Says he would never buy one, and he's come across everything from air cooled VW Bugs to a Cayman GT4 with less than 8,000 miles on it. Even gets oddballs like a Ferrari 456, and a new Maybach.

YMMV. If you can pay to play, just know what to expect.
nist7 (03-02-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 01:02 AM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
It all depends I guess.

I've heard people praise Audi in terms of reliability, and some owners would say they would never buy one out of warranty. If you were to ask most people (anecdotal), I would assume people would agree that Lexus is more reliable than Audi or any German brand.

This is where I am torn. I am looking at a new vehicle. B8 S4 or A4 (likely S4 love me some S/C) and a SUV like the Jeep GC/Dodge Durango R/T solely because of the bumper to bumper lifetime warranty available. Love the GS350, but want to replace my daily (TL) with the GS350 and have another car for the weekend (S4/Durnago/GC).
Old 03-02-2017, 04:29 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 362 Likes on 267 Posts
Champ.. Gotta go with the S4 over the A4. As a car guy, odds are that you will want to make an A4 into a S4 if you ended with an A4. Besides, for less than $2k, you can have a tuned S4 that does 1/4 miles in the mid 11s.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:13 AM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
I love my b7 A4 91 k on the clock Stage One tune..runs like a raped ape!
TacoBello (03-02-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 10:38 AM
Turd Polisher

Received 3,006 Likes on 1,514 Posts
Originally Posted by 1killercls
I love my b7 A4 91 k on the clock Stage One tune..runs like a raped ape!

My uncle says that all the time.
1killercls (03-03-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 10:49 AM
Team Owner

I still don't get those charts

If acura moved up 6 notches up the list, why is still considered just above "worst"?
Old 03-04-2017, 12:47 AM
Safety Car

I'm always happy for people who have had great car ownership experiences that were trouble free. As I would wish maximum happiness and minimal suffering on anyone. Certainly I wasn't intending to invalidate your opinions nor insinuate that it is ALL emotion-driven nor imply any fanboyism. Your garage is one that I certainly would take up in a heart beat.

My thoughts are a general reflection/observation that I see in other forums/posts/peoples' comments ...when someone has had a terrible experience with 1 car and they swear off the brand...while others who had great luck with a car and then are more likely to sing the brand's praises. It's more rare to see it the other way around: either a trouble-free car owner swearing off that brand.....or a headache-ridden car owner singing the brand's praises.

The times that this occurs is usually related to performance expectations: ie, an owner loving the reliability of the car but it's a bit too slow, OR an owner being annoyed at the breakdowns but can't help and love when the car does work and puts down great performance. Or it may also relate to other certain features/unique-ness of that car. Classic example in the current CR reports is the known high unreliable nature of Teslas but these owners sing the praises of Tesla like no other and has high satisfaction despite low reliability.

Last edited by nist7; 03-04-2017 at 12:51 AM.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:19 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Count me in as someone with current dissatisfaction with Acura, or at least my current Acura. My RLX Hybrid is having electrical gremlins that the dealer can't track down. It's frustrating enough that with seven payments to go on my lease, I'm actually considering spending money (due to horrible depreciation) to trade out early, or letting the car just sit until the lease is completed in the fall. It's not just the Germans anymore with electrical glitches. Acura and my dealer are treating me well with this so far, at least, so no dissatisfaction with Acura service.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:20 AM
Azine Jabroni

My thoughts are a general reflection/observation that I see in other forums/posts/peoples' comments ...when someone has had a terrible experience with 1 car and they swear off the brand...while others who had great luck with a car and then are more likely to sing the brand's praises. It's more rare to see it the other way around: either a trouble-free car owner swearing off that brand.....or a headache-ridden car owner singing the brand's praises.
Apt comparison. My B7 A4 was a dream to drive but it was plagued with problems. Oil consumption, oil in the coolant, and all kinds of other issues. It left me extremely bitter towards the brand as a whole and I swore them off and bought a car that I didn't love. But for all the issues that A4 had, the TSX just fell short in so many ways. When I looked into replacing it, I went with an open mind, but the Audi offering was just the best fit for me. Combine that with the reliability and the positive reviews for the car, going back felt like a no-brainer.
Old 03-04-2017, 02:05 PM
brahs be jelly

Received 247 Likes on 169 Posts
Audi has good build quality on the German-made models. They are boring but relaxing.

A nice car for people who see driving as a chore (i.e. 99% of people).
Old 03-04-2017, 07:14 PM
I drive a Subata.

Originally Posted by MTEAZY
Audi has good build quality on the German-made models. They are boring but relaxing.

A nice car for people who see driving as a chore (i.e. 99% of people).
Way to generalize you meat head. You still here?

Tell that to vwong, he's blazing fast in his S4 at the track.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:10 PM
Safety Car

Lol yeah....audi is boring?!?!
Old 03-04-2017, 10:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
CR needs their head examined.... given what just broke regarding the Audi CEO signing off on emissions cheating I would not consider them the best car brand as they cannot even legitimately pass emissions
http://autoweek.com/article/vw-dies...t-prevents-public-disclosure-diesel-documents

so much for German Engineering....
Old 03-05-2017, 06:29 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
We like the looks of the Audi, but since we keep our cars into old age, The reliability scares me.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:35 AM
Azine Jabroni

Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
CR needs their head examined.... given what just broke regarding the Audi CEO signing off on emissions cheating I would not consider them the best car brand as they cannot even legitimately pass emissions
http://autoweek.com/article/vw-dies...t-prevents-public-disclosure-diesel-documents

so much for German Engineering....
CR specifically mentions in all their studies that they do not include the emissions scandal in their judgement of cars. They didn't include Takata air bags, ignition switch problems either, really.

I missed where Bob said he was frustrated with his RLX hybrid. That really sucks
The following 3 users liked this post by kurtatx:
JS + XES (03-08-2017), juniorbean (03-08-2017), TylerT (03-06-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 02:36 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
then since they don't include major stuff like that... well no wonder people are not trusting of them....
Old 03-08-2017, 02:49 AM
I drive a Subata.

Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
then since they don't include major stuff like that... well no wonder people are not trusting of them....
Your life must be good. Only believing what you want to believe. I'm truly happy for ya.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:44 AM
Azine Jabroni

Your life must be good. Only believing what you want to believe. I'm truly happy for ya.
Sounds familiar

Old 03-08-2017, 12:22 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
If the best cars produced do not translate into sales #s... it does not really mean much...

Audi really should reconsider their approach with their leasing structures.... It is too expensive compare to its competitions.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:57 PM
Team Owner

That's because they don't want people leasing
Old 03-08-2017, 01:30 PM
Team Owner

I worked for Audi... No, they do not care if you lease or buy.

Being an Euro car company, leasing is their bread and butter......
Not many people can afford $20,000 down pay and still pay $650 a month for 5 years on an A4. let alone the more expensive models.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:37 PM
Team Owner

They can't afford that? Then why are they buying Audi's?

Also, if they cared more for leasing, they would restructure it. All I'm saying is the proof is in the pudding.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:13 PM
Team Owner

They are leasing.... their lease % vs. buy% is very similar to BMW and Mercedes's = more than half of their cars are leased.

The only difference is their lease program is very bad compare to the other 2 = less sales #.

and what you said is the part including Audi dealerships do not understand, why doesn't Audi restructure it when the proof is there...

If they did... their sales # would jump dramatically.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:51 PM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
Apt comparison. My B7 A4 was a dream to drive but it was plagued with problems. Oil consumption, oil in the coolant, and all kinds of other issues. It left me extremely bitter towards the brand as a whole and I swore them off and bought a car that I didn't love. But for all the issues that A4 had, the TSX just fell short in so many ways. When I looked into replacing it, I went with an open mind, but the Audi offering was just the best fit for me. Combine that with the reliability and the positive reviews for the car, going back felt like a no-brainer.
Ya know..knock on wood but I have never had oil issues or any of the other troubles a lot of folks on Audizine have. Worst thing so far was my Air Conditioning Fan Control Module and Two fan replacement. It was expensive..$1500.00 expensive. I change my full syn oil every 4-5 k miles and I am only about a half quart down at each change. And I have a Stage One Tune! I agree with you on the dream to drive too...the car is quiet and oh so smooth and precise!
Old 02-22-2018, 03:34 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Acura fell from 13th place (2017) to 22nd place (2018)

https://www.consumerreports.org/cars...vehicles-2018/

Which Car Brands Make the Best Vehicles?

Our rankings reveal the automakers that produce reliable, high-performing models and those that need to try harder

February 22, 2018

Most brands manage to make at least one great car, but not many have what it takes to deliver consistent quality across several models. Our annual brand rankings recognize the ones that do.

This year Genesis, the new luxury brand from Hyundai, edged Audi out of the top spot. These two automakers stand apart from the rest in that every one of their tested models is recommended by CR.

This is an especially impressive feat for Audi, which makes 10 models for the U.S. market spanning categories from small cars to three-row SUVs. Of those, Consumer Reports has tested eight vehicles.

Genesis, with just two models tested, had less to get right to earn its place at the top of the list. That doesn’t take away from the fact that Genesis excels in our testing and owner satisfaction scores and has average reliability, but it does put its position in perspective.

Luxury rivals BMW, Lexus, and Porsche continue to park near the top of the rankings. Lexus stands out for earning its place more from its reliability rating and standard advanced safety features than its road-test scores, which often have trailed the competition.

Chrysler is the only brand that took a giant step up in the rankings this year, with an Overall Score four points higher than last year, thanks largely to high road-test scores and the average reliability of its Pacifica minivan.

The brands that dropped the most in Overall Score were Buick (eight points) and Acura (six points), both due to declining reliability.

Brand Standings

Our brand rankings by Overall Score are based on CR’s exhaustive vehicle testing, as well as owner feedback on more than 640,000 cars to determine the predicted reliability and owner satisfaction ratings.

Brands are ranked based on the average Overall Score for all of their current tested models. The Overall Score is a composite of the road-test score and the predicted reliability and owner satisfaction ratings from our Annual Auto Survey.

Safety features, such as standard forward-collision warning and automatic emergency braking, are also factored into the score.

A brand must have at least two current models that have been tested by CR to be included in our rankings. Maserati and Smart lacked sufficient data to be included.
Old 02-22-2018, 04:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Preemptive warning to all now. Don't let this turn into a shit-show like the other thread...
JT4 (03-01-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 04:26 PM
Team Owner

c mon this is Car talk..... of course it will turn into shit show...
Old 02-22-2018, 04:26 PM
Team Owner

I dunno how much faith to put in that CR report. It talks about "predicted reliability". I hold zero value in that. How do you predict reliability?

When they talk about Acuras reliability dropping... Was that actual reliability or predicted reliability?

These reports need to be done a bit better, me thinks...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Consumer Reports: Annual Results News