Comparison Test in Automobile

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 10:24 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by larchmont
And Ish doesn't even know how totally nuts I am -- he wasn't around yet when I did that "Best Car Up to $80K" thread!

BTW, maybe now somebody besides me will consider believing that!!!
BAWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I'm dying to hear what happens after $80K that makes the TSX not able to maintain the Best Car status???

:thinking: ...it's the lack of a power passenger seat, right?
Old 09-02-2003, 10:56 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the 2004 TL is the new winner in the "Larch's Best Up To $80K Sweepstakes."
Old 09-02-2003, 12:43 PM
More On

Originally posted by Jason
I think the 2004 TL is the new winner in the "Larch's Best Up To $80K Sweepstakes."
(1) Doesn't fit in my garage
(2) HP Dildo can't be easily removed for alternative use
(3) No 6MT for a month
Old 09-02-2003, 01:39 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally posted by fdl
One word comes to mind.... Wow.
Thats the one word that came to mind for me as well. I may have this mag by tonight so I'll scan it in and fire it off to someone if its not posted by then.
Old 09-02-2003, 03:23 PM
Yeah..

Originally posted by domn
Thats the one word that came to mind for me as well. I may have this mag by tonight so I'll scan it in and fire it off to someone if its not posted by then.
That would be awesome! Thanks.
Old 09-02-2003, 04:06 PM
Über Geek

All hail TSX.
All hail Automobile.

If I get my issue by mail today (I'm still at work) I'll scan ASAP.

But I encourage folks to check out Automobile beyond this comparo. It's well-written, pretty to look at, too.
Old 09-02-2003, 05:32 PM
Advanced

...it is truly nice to see that some people out there who like cars can actually recognize greatness when it confronts them...
...all those poor bimmer freaks are going to be fit to be tied and have a feeding frenzy writing nasty letters to the editors of Automobile magazine, we on the TSX board should be prepared for many vollies of high intensity flames from them as well...this could get fun...!!

Lorne Miller
Old 09-02-2003, 07:09 PM
Instructor

And Ish doesn't even know how totally nuts I am -- he wasn't around yet when I did that "Best Car Up to $80K" thread!

BTW, maybe now somebody besides me will consider believing that!!!

Actually not even I thought TSX would win a test like this....
Congratulations, Larch. You deserve it for being so........... right, maybe?
Old 09-02-2003, 09:04 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Whoever gets the scan ... email me (provench@yahoo.com) and I will host them and post the pics here! I gotta read this thing

Standing by ....
Old 09-02-2003, 10:06 PM
More On

Originally posted by lshenretty
Congratulations, Larch. You deserve it for being so........... right, maybe?
Well, I think there might be one quick way to show I'm not.

I hope you'll get around to telling us how much of a sacrifice the TSX feels like, after being used to a 528.

Me, I'd rather have the TSX. But I've already confessed to being crazy.
Old 09-02-2003, 11:30 PM
Drifting

I got my issue today and I was a little disappointed by the article. It lists the TSX #1 but doesn't say why. It doesn't show the methodology. All it shows is the raw performance stats, which let me tell you, wasn't pretty. This car is slow and brakes very poorly (per their results). Second longest to stop from 70 MPH. 0-60 in 8.1 seconds? Was this an auto or manual? Who knows, they don't say. Weeeeeeeak.
Old 09-03-2003, 12:27 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

I got my issue today and I was a little disappointed by the article. It lists the TSX #1 but doesn't say why. It doesn't show the methodology. All it shows is the raw performance stats, which let me tell you, wasn't pretty. This car is slow and brakes very poorly (per their results). Second longest to stop from 70 MPH. 0-60 in 8.1 seconds? Was this an auto or manual? Who knows, they don't say. Weeeeeeeak.

yuck
Old 09-03-2003, 06:46 AM
Instructor

I wonder if the honda key could be made to work with the acura.
Old 09-03-2003, 06:55 AM
Über Geek

Originally posted by stlgasman
Huh?
Old 09-03-2003, 08:51 AM
Cruisin'

Where is the scan..? I'm eagerly awaiting to read the article.
Old 09-03-2003, 08:55 AM

... This car is slow and brakes very poorly (per their results). Second longest to stop from 70 MPH. 0-60 in 8.1 seconds? Was this an auto or manual? Who knows, they don't say. Weeeeeeeak.
suck, i was regretting i cancelled my subscription to automobile when i read the beginning of this thread...now i'm glad i cancelled
Old 09-03-2003, 08:57 AM

Originally posted by stlgasman
sure just take the honda key to the acura dealership and they'll reprogram it for you...but then the honda key wont work on your honda so you'll have to take your acura key to the honda dealership and reprogram that as well...good luck
Old 09-03-2003, 08:58 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by TSXDRM
Where is the scan..? I'm eagerly awaiting to read the article.
Sorry guys I did'nt get the mag last night as apparently Chapters stores don't have them or the new C&D, MT or R&T yet either.

But judging by Jason's quick review I'm not so sure I want to read the article anymore anyway. I thought Automobile was supposed to be better than the other car mags?

Last time I cheked the other mags give reason's for picking a winner in a comparo and let the reader know what kind of transmission the car had.
Old 09-03-2003, 10:19 AM

That is nuts. THe TSX is nice but Acura paid hella money for this outcome. How the hell is the BMW 325 2nd? The new Maxima though, I am not surprised it is an overgrown, Lexus knock-off, fat cheap interior pig.

This is why I canceled my subscription to Automobile, they are full of crap, their writers suck, their pics are average and they offer no advantage over other magazines. Hell, the G35 was on the cover just this year TRUMPING the 330 as the new 30k car to beat.

Automobile=paper for my puppy to shit on. Congrats to the TSX though, this is good press.
Old 09-03-2003, 10:27 AM
Instructor

Well, I think there might be one quick way to show I'm not.

I hope you'll get around to telling us how much of a sacrifice the TSX feels like, after being used to a 528.

Me, I'd rather have the TSX. But I've already confessed to being crazy.
Will certainly do that. The car is due in today, and the dealership thinks they might turn it around by this evening. My leasing guy thinks it will be tomorrow.

Can't wait. I've never been so excited about a car. Feel a little silly about it, actually; but I guess it's nice to know I can still get excited about anything car at this advanced age.
Old 09-03-2003, 11:05 AM
Instructor

I haven't seen the Automobile magazine article yet. I own a Mercedes C230 Kompressor, and just bought a TSX (Cargon Gray, 6 speed, Nav) for my wife. While we love the TSX, and think it is a good value, we both think the Mercedes is a better car. After 1000miles, we notice things that are not up to the quality standerd of the Mercedes. That being said, the TSX handles beautifully and I think the engine has enough pull for most situations.
Old 09-03-2003, 11:09 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by Johns
IAfter 1000miles, we notice things that are not up to the quality standerd of the Mercedes.
Come see us in 5 years. Mercedes reliability is right down there with Kia and Hyundai.

Having said that, I still think they're great cars and would buy one especially the S and SL series but their just not reliable machines. But if I could afford a Benz, reliability would'nt concern me.
Old 09-03-2003, 11:18 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

While we love the TSX, and think it is a good value, we both think the Mercedes is a better car. After 1000miles, we notice things that are not up to the quality standerd of the Mercedes.
I am not going to agree or disagree with you, but what specific "things" are you refering to?
Old 09-03-2003, 05:30 PM
Banned

I haven't seen the Automobile magazine article yet. I own a Mercedes C230 Kompressor, and just bought a TSX (Cargon Gray, 6 speed, Nav) for my wife. While we love the TSX, and think it is a good value, we both think the Mercedes is a better car. After 1000miles, we notice things that are not up to the quality standerd of the Mercedes. That being said, the TSX handles beautifully and I think the engine has enough pull for most situations.
Aaah, the expensive smell of German car mystique. Please be careful -- if you DRIVE with your nose in the air you will find it hard to see the road.
Old 09-04-2003, 04:37 PM
Banned

Don't rush on the magazine. It is really disappointing. So little content.
Old 09-07-2003, 05:00 AM
Racer

Originally posted by swami
Sorry Finalheaven.
LOL hi swami.

Anyways i must agree that i do think the TSX is the best value/performance cars around. It beats out on the mercedes performance wise too im sure. However i dislike the fact that most reviews are based on the MRSP price of the cars. Hell i got my c230 as almost the same price i would of gotten the TSX. 1k higher actually. If the price reflected on that.. i wonder how much it'll show. And most comparisons aren't done with reliability wise so thats good for the mercedes for now =P
Old 09-08-2003, 08:56 AM
Yeah..

A guy I work with is thinking of trading in his C230. That thing is in the shop every other month (literally). It's kinda cool for me in a way cause everytime his is getting serviced he gets one of the various loaner cars his dealership has and he lets me test drive them
Old 09-08-2003, 09:09 AM

Originally posted by 7or8
A guy I work with is thinking of trading in his C230. That thing is in the shop every other month (literally). It's kinda cool for me in a way cause everytime his is getting serviced he gets one of the various loaner cars his dealership has and he lets me test drive them
hmm maybe i should've gotten a C230, i wouldnt mind test driving the other benz models
Old 09-08-2003, 02:52 PM
Cruisin'

i just read the article and was somewhat perplexed. the bmw 325i they used was a stripper version with an automatic transmission as the only option. no sport package, performance package, sport tires/wheels or anything. yet it recorded a skidpad rating of .94 lateral g going left and .89 for the right. on 16 inch tires with the standard suspension. that was better than the mistubishi lancer evolution in the same test. in fact that's better than any rating car and driver (well know bimmer fans) have given the e46 m3. does anyone else find that incredulous?

Old 09-08-2003, 02:59 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

I'm happy the TSX won that test, but if that's what Automobile calls a "Comparison" Test I will never be reading that magazine again. Each car had only a short blurb and there was really no ryhme or reason given to the TSX's victory. There was only a chart that listed Standard, Optional and Not Available options and then another chart with performance numbers.

It was in all honesty the worst automotive article I have ever read (or close to anyway) I'll stick to MT, C&D and R&T from now on.
Old 09-08-2003, 03:03 PM
More On

Like I said, I'm easy -- I'll keep smiling about the bottom line.

But seriously, folks -- this thread is an example of some of what's so great about this board. Even though some people come on here and say that we're just a bunch of TSX lovers who say TSX is great and we reject anything to the contrary, we're anything but. We usually do a darn good job of staying objective and looking at things critically, in the best sense of the word -- including positive statements about the TSX.
Old 09-08-2003, 03:07 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Even though some people come on here and say that we're just a bunch of TSX lovers who say TSX is great and we reject anything to the contrary,
They only say that about you
Old 09-08-2003, 09:24 PM
Racer

I got my copy today and wasn't impressed by the article as a whole (like others have already said). I did like and agree with their bottom line , but they should have spent more time explaining it. However, with 10 cars I'm sure they really had to scale down the reviews. Another oddity is that the chart at the end shows the TSX does not have rear side curtain air bags, but we do have them. Errors like these (and the BMW numbers as already mentioned) really shoot down the credibility of the evaluation. :thumbsdn:
Old 09-08-2003, 10:35 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by akuma007
i just read the article and was somewhat perplexed. the bmw 325i they used was a stripper version with an automatic transmission as the only option. no sport package, performance package, sport tires/wheels or anything. yet it recorded a skidpad rating of .94 lateral g going left and .89 for the right. on 16 inch tires with the standard suspension. that was better than the mistubishi lancer evolution in the same test. in fact that's better than any rating car and driver (well know bimmer fans) have given the e46 m3. does anyone else find that incredulous?

The difference between right and left is interesting. I've always felt that its easier and feels better turning left because the added weight of the driver is closer to the center of the arc, where as when I turn right my weight is at the outside edge of the arc. I was never sure if it was just a feeling..or if it actually made a difference.

All those numbers are unusually high though. Seems a little odd. Maybe the surface they tested on was very sticky.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:35 AM
Suzuka Master

.....0-60 in 8.1 seconds? Was this an auto or manual? Who knows, they don't say. Weeeeeeeak.
Automobile
The six-speed manual transmission shifts very cleanly. Finally, Honda has paid careful attention to the human factors....
I'm guessing it was manual. I was really happy when I read the outcome of the article, but the more discussion I see the less confident I am....
Old 09-09-2003, 11:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Jaeger
PS - Maxima SE dead last? THAT surprises me.
That doesn't surprise me. The basis for the current Maxima is the Altima.

This will provide a perfect contrast between mid-line car chassis: the Accord's vs. the Altima's.

That Honda can take the Accord's chassis (global mid-size platform) and produce a variety of excellent cars (including Euro/JDM Accord, NA Accord, TSX, TL), but Nissan cannot take their Altima and do the same (to make their sort-of upscaley Maxima) is very very telling!
Old 09-09-2003, 11:39 AM

hmm they have the mazda 6 but no Accord?strange.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:43 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by adam fiooz
hmm they have the mazda 6 but no Accord?strange.
That's because the Accord is NOT a sports sedan. Now get out of the computer lab and get back to class!
Old 09-09-2003, 11:46 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by Bear Trap
Another oddity is that the chart at the end shows the TSX does not have rear side curtain air bags, but we do have them. Errors like these (and the BMW numbers as already mentioned) really shoot down the credibility of the evaluation. :thumbsdn:
Actually, it doesn't say the TSX doesn't have rear side curtain air bags. It says 'Side Air Bags Rear' are N/A on the TSX, which is a true statement.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:10 PM
Racer

Actually, it doesn't say the TSX doesn't have rear side curtain air bags. It says 'Side Air Bags Rear' are N/A on the TSX, which is a true statement.
N/A means not available but they are a standard feature. Is there a difference between rear side airbags and rear side curtain airbags? They mean the same to me. Quote from Acura web site: "standard headliner-mounted side curtain air bags for the driver, front passenger and outboard rear-seat passengers."

Doesn't this mean rear side air bags?

Quick Reply: Comparison Test in Automobile