Chevrolet: Impala News

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 05:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
I wonder what the plug coming out of the front end is for...
Old 07-30-2006, 05:14 PM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The car looks really good. But... WTF happened to the next Impala being based of Holden's Zeta. This car is obiviously related to the Lucerne, making it a G-Body. This car will be plenty enough to combat the FWD Avalon, Maxima, and 500. However, if they don't atleast offer AWD as an option DC's LX cars will continue to eat them up the Impala up in the performance department. Atleast it's the proper size.
Old 07-30-2006, 05:20 PM
Safety Car

I messed the thread title up. Even though the site is speculating this is the next Impala, this is acutlaly the next Malibu. That's why it's FWD. I think this looks bold, and tasteful. It's got a really nice profile, and I'm sure the front facia will be very aggressive.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:55 PM
Banned

Looks too big to be a Malibu. Are they going to grow the Malibu way out?
Old 07-30-2006, 09:30 PM
hail to the victors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if it is malibu, then it's a huge step up. the current malibu is the worst midsized sedan right now.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:04 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by M TYPE X
Looks too big to be a Malibu. Are they going to grow the Malibu way out?
It's the size of the Camry.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:08 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by chungkopi
if it is malibu, then it's a huge step up. the current malibu is the worst midsized sedan right now.
It's definitely the next Malibu. This is a huge improvement, and finally a car on par (in size) with the compeition.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
looks like its a good increase in size
Old 07-31-2006, 09:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

FWD? How come he is making burnouts with the rear wheels?

Also the front looks like a Caddilac CTS grille with a Chevrolet bar across it. And it does remind me of the SS concept.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:53 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by Shoofin
Probably just a block heater.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:16 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The size of that front grille is
Old 07-31-2006, 10:20 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by Ruski
FWD? How come he is making burnouts with the rear wheels?

Also the front looks like a Caddilac CTS grille with a Chevrolet bar across it. And it does remind me of the SS concept.

I don't think those are burnouts. The car is on gravel so its just kicking up dust. Tough to say its FWD from those pics though.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:22 AM
Racer

that's one big car...hope it has enough power and nice interior
Old 07-31-2006, 11:44 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Interesting departure for Chevrolet....I'm keeping my eye on how this one turns out.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:40 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
A bit unusual to be testing a mule car for towing capability?
Old 11-13-2006, 05:16 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Impala goes back to rwd in '09 - - By RICK KRANZ | AUTOMOTIVE NEWS - - Source: AUtoweek

DETROIT -- Chevrolet's Impala is going rear-wheel drive in 2009.

General Motors sources say the next Impala will share a rwd platform with the upcoming Chevrolet Camaro, which will be built late in 2008 in Oshawa, Ontario. Impala production will start several months later, a GM source said.

The rwd Impala also will be distinguished from the 2007 model by its long wheelbase and short front and rear overhangs. The car will be similar in length and width to the front-drive 2007 Impala. The passenger compartment will be larger than that of the 2007 Impala, the source said.

The rwd platform is being engineered by GM's Holden subsidiary in Australia.

GM has yet to decide whether to maintain the Impala as a mass-market sedan or move it upmarket. An upscale Impala would enable GM to avoid a market overlap with the restyled and re-engineered 2008 Chevrolet Malibu.

The 2008 Malibu will debut at the Detroit auto show in January. While the Malibu's sheet metal is unique, the car is similar to the Saturn Aura in shape and size.

The front-wheel-drive Malibu could steal sales from the Impala, GM insiders admit. And some buyers may prefer a front-drive Chevrolet sedan.

The 2008 model will be larger than the current Malibu and will have a more luxurious interior.

So will the Impala go upscale?

"It is too early to tell," the GM source said. "With Malibu's introduction next year and market analysis and trends and things like that, I think anything I said about that would be speculative."
Old 11-13-2006, 08:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
It was sad to see the old RWD "jellybean" Impala SS from the mid 90's turn into a fwd car... Looks like the Crown Vic is going to be getting some new competition...

Bring the Impala upscale might differentiate the Impala from th Malibu, but and upscale Impala might syphon sales off from the CTS

I'm just happy to see more cars made on RWD platforms... now we just need some rwd econoboxes
Old 11-14-2006, 09:32 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by GreenMonster
It was sad to see the old RWD "jellybean" Impala SS from the mid 90's turn into a fwd car... Looks like the Crown Vic is going to be getting some new competition...

Bring the Impala upscale might differentiate the Impala from th Malibu, but and upscale Impala might syphon sales off from the CTS

I'm just happy to see more cars made on RWD platforms... now we just need some rwd econoboxes
This is a new RWD platform on an all new car... the Crown Vic's Panther platform is over 20 yrs. old... I see this new Impala as more of a direct competitor tot he 300 and Charger, and the Maxima to a lesser extent. As seen in the pics above, the new Malibu is really nice, and finally a size comparable to that of the Camry. IMHO, the Impala should be a bit larger; with the options of the various V8s, it'll definitely do well. Also, I don't think it'll steal alot of sales from the CTS. I think the car should be a bit bigger than the CTS too. Both can co-exist, though, like the Avalon and ES350.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:01 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenMonster

I would NEVER cross shop a CTS and an Impala.

I don't want to get the same treatment a Chevy Aveo person does before the sale nor afterwards
Old 11-15-2006, 03:46 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

RWD FTW Good move by GM
Old 11-15-2006, 05:36 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Shoofin

They'll probably just end up hiding it somewhere

It looks pretty good and decently sized now. Go domestic
Old 11-15-2006, 08:04 PM
Mile High

seems like all the redesigned GM's have a very plastic look to the exterior.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:10 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by titan
[/IMG]
That car looks pretty clean and well shaped so far. The rear looks like the current buick lucerne though and I'm not so sure that dust trail proves its rwd.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:13 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by heyitsme
That car looks pretty clean and well shaped so far. The rear looks like the current buick lucerne though and I'm not so sure that dust trail proves its rwd.
Actually, I was wrong when I started this thread. The pics shown are of the next gen Malibu. It's based on the Epsilon II platform and is finally a true Camry compeitor. The next Impala's Zeta roots make the car a bit bigger, and it'll have a more muscular stance, if I'm not mistaken.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:06 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
First Drive: 2007 HSV Grange
Americans Will Know It as the 2010 Chevy Impala SS

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...opanel..1.*#12

By Michael Stahl, Contributor
Date posted: 06-25-2007

The rumor mill has been running at redline concerning GM's Holden-engineered Zeta platform and its future. We all know it'll be underpinning models like the Camaro — already well into its development in Australia — and we all know the Holden Commodore will become the Pontiac G8. But what else is GM thinking about?

The smart money says the Holden Statesman/Caprice will become the 2010 Chevrolet Impala. Despite GM's Bob Lutz saying rear-wheel-drive models may not be the automaker's future, we're also willing to bet (hope) that this hotted-up version, the HSV Grange, built by Holden Special Vehicles, will be the 2010 Impala SS.

What makes us so sure? Well, the Holden Statesman/Caprice/Grange is built on a 3.7-inch-stretched version of the Commodore's Zeta platform. Plus, Holden Special Vehicles Managing Director John Crennan told the Australian press last month of his Middle East export aspirations for the Grange. That means, effectively, that a left-hand-drive version of the V8-powered sedan is a done deal.

And so with a wink and a crystal ball we decided to drive the thing. Fire up the jet, Millie. We're headed Down Under.

Home on the Grange
Holden Special Vehicles, the hot-shop joint venture founded in 1987 between Holden and Tom Walkinshaw, likes to get jiggy with the long-wheelbase cars, too. Its Grange is the most expensive Holden-based product on the market; at AU$82,990, it's some AU$13,000 more than its donor Caprice.

HSV prefers to think of it as AU$137,000-$190,000 less than "comparable" long-wheelbase performance limos like the Audi A8L, BMW 750Li and Mercedes-Benz S500L. Where the standard Caprice V8 does very well (like, 13.9-second quarters well) with GM's 360-horsepower/391-pound-feet, 6.0-liter L98 mill, the HSV package gains an LS2 6.0-liter instead. Grunt grows to 412 hp/406 lb-ft, driving through the same GM 6L80E six-speed auto.

HSV doesn't quote performance figures on the Grange, but its short-wheelbase sister, the Senator Signature, manages a 13.6-second quarter-mile — and is 198 pounds lighter.

At 202.8 inches long, the Grange is only 2 inches longer than the present Impala and the Mopar, so it's the perfect size for the U.S. market. At 118.5 inches, the Holden's wheelbase is 8 inches longer than an Impala's, but 1.5 inches shorter than the Dodge Charger's. Still, it's enough to deliver limolike rear legroom in a bench sculpted for two. It appears to be more space than grace, too, as the Grange doesn't add a great deal besides unique napa leather and suede upholstery to the Caprice's admittedly lengthy luxo-list.

Outside, where HSV's short-wheelbase models go to the extent of modified sheet metal panels and new taillamp clusters, the Grange gets only a new front clip and subtly stuck-on rear spoiler and diffuser to distinguish it from the Caprice. The 19-inch wheel/tire package and AP brakes with four-piston calipers, though, hint at where the money really has been spent.

It's stashed underneath in the Magnetic Ride Control (MRC) suspension, an HSV USP (unique selling proposition) that's not available in any standard Holden product.

Worthy of the SS Name
HSV's reputation rides on this being a driver's car as much as a passenger's, and MRC is one of its two magic wands. A console switch alters damping settings between Luxury and Performance settings, the former delightfully absorbent in its ride quality (yep, even on 19-inch wheels) while still showcasing the unexpected lightness and precision of this chassis' steering and suspension control. A lardy land yacht it ain't.

In Performance mode, the ride becomes more pattery, the rear end busier when cornering or accelerating over corrugations. Cabin isolation falls short of its European aspirations as, ultimately, does body control, but not $100,000 short. Despite the Grange's 4,266-pound curb weight, braking power is mighty, albeit without a lot of pedal communication.

The other magic wand is the engine — a juicy, smooth, 72-ounce top sirloin of surge, with a dual personality of cruising sophistication and muscle-car mumbo. The six-speed GM transmission can get momentarily flustered by sudden stomps on the electronically operated loud pedal, and is more decisive with the console button left in Sport mode. The Australian average city/highway fuel consumption of 16.6 mpg (on recommended 98-octane) is roughly on par with any of Holden's standard V8 range.

The engine and suspension are the defining points of the Grange: apparent blacksmith tech like a pushrod V8 and competent, though not cutting-edge, front strut and rear multilink suspensions, artfully engineered or accessorized to a truly international standard. But the Grange also serves to highlight the strengths of Holden's standard Caprice.

Go Ahead, Stretch Your Legs
From the driver seat, the Grange is a good luxury-performance car. Comparisons with top-line Teutons just don't hold with its haunting of hard-feel plastics, dog-nose-textured vinyl and subtly mismatched colors between different materials. Admittedly, the hard-feel plastics are in less frequently fondled areas, and aside from some flashing around the front seats' plastic bases, the quality of finish and assembly is utterly admirable.

The seating is superb, front or rear, with abundant headroom up front and lots of adjustability: electric for the seat, manual for the steering column. Instrumentation, again, is almost too clear and concise for this kind of money, with simple analog gauges complemented by a center console LCD monitor. Front, side and curtain airbags are all included, the latter adding vision-obscuring thickness to the remarkably shallow-raked A-pillars.

Rear passengers will note the low H-point, placing them virtually at eye level with the scuttle ahead. A DVD entertainment system, with an individual monitor in each front headrest, is standard. Its overhead control unit also houses the rear cabin's A/C functions.

Just What Chevy Needs
With an all-new front-wheel-drive Chevy Malibu hitting this fall, and rumors flying that Ford is finally doing a rear-wheel-drive sedan for the U.S. based on the Australian Falcon, a rear-wheel-drive Impala is just what Chevy needs. The rear-wheel-drive Dodge Charger has proven there's a market out there and now Ford and GM want their share.

Just don't expect the 2010 Impala to look much like this Holden. As much as we like the understated yet sporty look of the Grange (dig those fender vents and dual exhaust), GM's stylists are sure to spend the next couple of years messing with it, giving it a horizontally split grille and other signature Chevy cues.

But the hardware beneath that sheet metal is expected to stick around. Now that we've driven it, we know it's something to look forward to.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:19 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

Very nice side profile. HAWT!
Old 06-27-2007, 02:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
that looks like a very nice car from the side profile
Old 06-27-2007, 03:15 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
yes, it looks nice from the side.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:30 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Old 06-27-2007, 03:49 PM
That was uncalled for...

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts
Stick on Chevy/Impala badges, bring it to NA, watch money pour in.

Very nice looking car
Old 06-27-2007, 08:08 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Probably one car the mags WON'T mind badge engineering on ...

The G8 is the replacement for the Bonneville or the Grand Prix?

This car sounds like it's bigger than the G8
Old 06-28-2007, 10:29 AM
Chloe @ 17mo

YIWHI!
Originally Posted by charliemike
Old 08-20-2011, 03:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Got a GM? have a model before banruptsy? Prepare to get screwed

GM is really building confidence with this one

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...77I0Z820110819

Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:47pm EDT

* New GM said not responsible to fix Impala made by old GM

* Suspension problem said to cause excessive tire wear

By Jonathan Stempel

NEW YORK, Aug 19 (Reuters) - General Motors Co (GM.N) is seeking to dismiss a lawsuit over a suspension problem on more than 400,000 Chevrolet Impalas from the 2007 and 2008 model years, saying it should not be responsible for repairs because the flaw predated its bankruptcy.

The lawsuit, filed on June 29 by Donna Trusky of Blakely, Pennsylvania, contended that her Impala suffered from faulty rear spindle rods, causing her rear tires to wear out after just 6,000 miles. [ID:nN1E7650CT]

Seeking class-action status and alleging breach of warranty, the lawsuit demands that GM fix the rods, saying that it had done so on Impala police vehicles.

But in a recent filing with the U.S. District Court in Detroit, GM noted that the cars were made by its predecessor General Motors Corp, now called Motors Liquidation Co or "Old GM," before its 2009 bankruptcy and federal bailout.

The current company, called "New GM," said it did not assume responsibility under the reorganization to fix the Impala problem, but only to make repairs "subject to conditions and limitations" in express written warranties. In essence, the automaker said, Trusky sued the wrong entity.

"New GM's warranty obligations for vehicles sold by Old GM are limited to the express terms and conditions in the Old GM written warranties on a going-forward basis," wrote Benjamin Jeffers, a lawyer for GM. "New GM did not assume responsibility for Old GM's design choices, conduct, or alleged breaches of liability under the warranty."

David Fink, Trusky's lawyer, declined to comment

translation: Bend over and take it up the crapper 'cause we ain't gonna fix it.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:26 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
Nice, stand behind your work!
Old 08-20-2011, 04:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,632 Likes on 13,881 Posts
Merged...
Old 08-20-2011, 04:46 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Hence why I will never buy a GM. Between the big three, Ford is the way to go. I'm not saying they're perfect, but they've certainly never done anything like this to their customers..
Old 08-20-2011, 05:44 PM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
This is certainly one way to completely wash their hands of anything pre-bankruptcy.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:49 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by MonopolyMan
Hence why I will never buy a GM. Between the big three, Ford is the way to go. I'm not saying they're perfect, but they've certainly never done anything like this to their customers..
Ford did not go into BK....hence this situation has not and will not happen to them.

In all honesty most companies would try to do what GM is doing if they can get away with it. It's underhanded and bad PR for sure, but it's all about the $$$$
Old 08-22-2011, 11:59 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
Every time I think GM has learned their lesson, they go and pull something like this.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:08 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
I would never buy a new GM either.... past or present. Used, sure. New.... maybe a Z06 to get it exactly the way I wanted (assuming I had the money)

Just more news of "New GM" looking more like old GM. Same with Ford and the whole Mustang transmission fiasco. Hopefully Chrysler doesn't follow suit, it seems like Fiat or whoever it is they're owned by now is pointing them somewhat in the right direction.

Quick Reply: Chevrolet: Impala News