Chevrolet: Impala News

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 02:29 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chungkopi
well it's a improvement
On what? Engine output and interior design? Yes.
Old 08-07-2005, 05:36 PM
Safety Car

It's the best that one could hope for as far as midlife refreshs go. The exterior looks good, but the interior is especially a nice step up (at least as far as design and the look of materials go). The next time around, this car really needs a grow a little in size, IMHO.
Old 08-07-2005, 06:31 PM
Moderator Alumnus

This is the formula that makes the Impala a good selling car.

Its nice looking, not very exciting.......but has good lines, interior is a huge improvement, and you have a good range of engines.

Very nice to see the SS get a V8, but wish it was RWD.

A loaded SS comes in at $31k.

Not a bad deal at all, even better if you can get some sort of discount.

Should be a very nice highway car.
Old 08-07-2005, 07:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Not bad at all. A nice evolution of the car. Of course it is not something I'd be interested in, but I think it's not a terrible choice compared to the compeition anymore.

The engine improvements are nice as well. The fuel economy figures for that output is excellent.
Old 08-07-2005, 08:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Beltfed
This is the formula that makes the Impala a good selling car.

Its nice looking, not very exciting.......but has good lines, interior is a huge improvement, and you have a good range of engines.

Very nice to see the SS get a V8, but wish it was RWD.

A loaded SS comes in at $31k.

Not a bad deal at all, even better if you can get some sort of discount.

Should be a very nice highway car.

I like the looks... It's something that doesn't look like the average chevy. Almost has an import look to it.

It would have been a real winner if it were rwd.
Old 08-07-2005, 08:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Interesting, I might go take one for a spin.
Old 08-07-2005, 08:17 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by GreenMonster

I like the looks... It's something that doesn't look like the average chevy. Almost has an import look to it.

On another note.....

The SS is definitely the fastest SS to date, GM is stating 0-60 in 5.7sec.

RWD definitely would have been nice, or even AWD.

I would consider the Impala though if shopping in the $25k-$30k mid size family sedan category.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GreenMonster

2006 Impala looks like a big Malibu to me. It's about as trend-setting as an Avalon.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:11 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by M TYPE X
2006 Impala looks like a big Malibu to me. It's about as trend-setting as an Avalon.
Chevrolet wasn't out to reinvent the wheel.......

Trend setting doesn't always sell cars.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:20 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
Originally Posted by gavriil
It's got this "bar of soap on wheels" look, thanks to the rounded-out bottom.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:18 AM
Got da Internet Goin Nutz

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Exterior style is BLAND as can be. But this will be a SERIOUS fleet car anyway so that doesn't really matter. The enterior is very nice.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:03 AM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
The interior is finally ridden of that 'rental car' look, or at least most of it. I'd have to sit inside one to feel how it is. They really have a chance to NOT screw this one up, but a few bad plastics in choice locations would kill it.

I agree also on the fuel economy thing. Those are very fuel efficient engines. Although I'm more impressed by the V8 than either of the V6 engines. The 3.5L impresses me the least. The 2005 J30A4 puts out 240hp&212lb-ft (although at higher rpm), and gets 20/30 mpg in the Accord V6. However, when you start looking at price, the Impala comes in at less than an Accord I4, but carries a more powerful engine. Although I have doubts about people cross shopping those two cars. The Accord interior in EX-L form is very hard to beat (that's where the money goes instead of the engine).
Old 08-08-2005, 10:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Beltfed
Chevrolet wasn't out to reinvent the wheel.......

Trend setting doesn't always sell cars.
One of the reason I bought the CL was because of it's "sedate" styling

I don't know if I would look good in some of the more "edgy" cars out there (g35c, CTS, etc).

I'm not getting any younger, but I don't think an Avalon is in my future either
Old 08-08-2005, 10:25 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I think between this and the Malibu, the Camry/Accord/Altima gang will lose sales to GM. And it's only going to get harder for them in the future. GM has fixed a lot of the fundamentals with the Chevy brand, now it's all about icing on the cake going forward, which many times makes the difference in the buying decision.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:33 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Minch00
Engines: 3.5-liter V-6, 211 hp/214 lb-ft

Are you serious? That's a horrible amount of power to get out of such a large engine. GM should just liscense VQs and be done with it............
In a class where most other car companies have i-4's with less then 200 horses and tq. I'd say that it is awesome power. And have you ever seen the torque curve for one of these 3.5's? They are flat as hell and pull nicely anywhere in the rpm band.

The 8cyl is a proven motor. The heads in the 5.3 are truck heads and are better designed than LS1 heads. People even swap them in for good power gains. Also the new SS with Some Long Tube headers, intake and a cat back can put out 350 cran horses easily, making it around 300 to the wheels. Yes it sucks in a front drive car, but that doesnt mean much when you are on the highway. I can see some people buying this car for the sleeper value as a second car if they already own an f body or vette.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:43 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
exterior

interior :typicalchevycrap:
Old 08-08-2005, 01:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by slyraskal
exterior

Sorry, but the interior is a HUGE improvement over the more recent GM interiors. Is it as nice as a Honda or Toyota, most likely no, but they are making progress.

Sit in a 3 year old Impala and then a new one back to back and see the difference.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:02 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by cusdaddy
Sorry, but the interior is a HUGE improvement over the more recent GM interiors.
I never said it wasn't an improvement.

Originally Posted by cusdaddy
Is it as nice as a Honda or Toyota, most likely no, but they are making progress.

Sit in a 3 year old Impala and then a new one back to back and see the difference.
I'll agree they have made advancements in making their interiors nicer.

But they still aren't nice enough to pass the mark of crap in my book.

for the amount of money you can spend on a chevy malibu, monte carlo, or impala, you can spend the same amount on a tsx and get a much nicer car.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:05 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by slyraskal
exterior

LOL
Old 08-08-2005, 02:07 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
I see too much overlap here between the Impala and the Maiibu.

I much prefer the Impala.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:15 PM
Safety Car

I think between this and the Malibu, the Camry/Accord/Altima gang will lose sales to GM. And it's only going to get harder for them in the future. GM has fixed a lot of the fundamentals with the Chevy brand, now it's all about icing on the cake going forward, which many times makes the difference in the buying decision.

I dunno, I could see if these companies started letting their cars sit, but Toyota has the new avalon and a new Camry right around the corner, Nissan will most likely have a maxima refresh coming and possibly a whole nother full size car as well as a new 06 altima, and honda has the refreshed accord out in the fall.

This impala looks like the quality/style they should have had out 4 years ago which would have been a head to head battle, but it looks like it should now be up for a refresh with even more features and style like nav, 5 or 6speed auto, etc.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by heyitsme
I dunno, I could see if these companies started letting their cars sit, but Toyota has the new avalon and a new Camry right around the corner, Nissan will most likely have a maxima refresh coming and possibly a whole nother full size car as well as a new 06 altima, and honda has the refreshed accord out in the fall.

This impala looks like the quality/style they should have had out 4 years ago which would have been a head to head battle, but it looks like it should now be up for a refresh with even more features and style like nav, 5 or 6speed auto, etc.
Yeah there is the new Camry and Altima to watch out for, and then in the next couple years a totally new Accord too (although the refresh in 06 might sway some buyers because of the fixing of the ugly butt and addition of some features).
Old 08-08-2005, 03:04 PM
Instructor

The interior is crap. I don't know what it is about american cars, but they all pretty much have extremely crappy interiors and bland styling.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:25 PM
Safety Car

Interesting design as far as the seat bottoms flipping forward.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:27 PM
Team Owner

^^^ now that's something new that I do like.

Protects the backs of the fronts seats.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:51 PM
Drifting

Those rear headrests look weird as hell.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by DownUnder
Those rear headrests look weird as hell.
They're very puffy...I could see them blocking rear visibility.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:21 AM
My M45 loves to eat rice

Originally Posted by LB-TSX
The interior is crap. I don't know what it is about american cars, but they all pretty much have extremely crappy interiors and bland styling.
Well-said. I don't think people should be comparing the Avalon to this next-generation Impala at all. The Avalon is miles ahead of this car. Chevys, Fords... they all have the same generic, mass-produced, plastic-based interiors with no character or vibrant colors at all. I just find these cars to be pathetically boring.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:57 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

The new Impala will be a rental darling just like the old one. Hondas of mid-90s had better interiors.

I know people say the 3.5L V6 is the base engine and makes a "ton more power" than Honda's base 2.4L I4... but I'm willing to bet an Accord EX with that "base" 160hp i-VTEC four-cylinder and Honda's slick-shifting 5-spd manual will not only be priced almost the same as the V6 Impala, but will embarrass it in fit and finish, interior materials and design, handle better and be quicker.

Honda's cars are simply examples of superior engineering.

EDIT: Don't expect the Malibu or Impala to steal Camry or Accord sales. The Camry's ultra-refinement and the Accord's perfect steering and engaging driving experience will continue to prevail over domestic generic sedans. Toyota executives are probably right now at this latest attempt, and will be all the way to the bank - after all, they are the world's most profitable carmaker and on the way to being the world's largest.

Last edited by 03CoupeV6; 08-16-2005 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:25 PM
Kabachitare!

Strong candidate for Rental/Fleet car of the year 2006! Woo-hoo!
Old 08-16-2005, 08:43 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by 03CoupeV6
The new Impala will be a rental darling just like the old one. Hondas of mid-90s had better interiors.

I know people say the 3.5L V6 is the base engine and makes a "ton more power" than Honda's base 2.4L I4... but I'm willing to bet an Accord EX with that "base" 160hp i-VTEC four-cylinder and Honda's slick-shifting 5-spd manual will not only be priced almost the same as the V6 Impala, but will embarrass it in fit and finish, interior materials and design, handle better and be quicker.

Honda's cars are simply examples of superior engineering.

EDIT: Don't expect the Malibu or Impala to steal Camry or Accord sales. The Camry's ultra-refinement and the Accord's perfect steering and engaging driving experience will continue to prevail over domestic generic sedans. Toyota executives are probably right now at this latest attempt, and will be all the way to the bank - after all, they are the world's most profitable carmaker and on the way to being the world's largest.
"Accord's perfect steering", "Camry's ultra refinement". You make them sound like they are of another segment.

I guess time will tell how much of a ding the new Impala and current and next Malibu can make on the Japanese party.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:07 AM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

"Accord's perfect steering", "Camry's ultra refinement". You make them sound like they are of another segment.

I guess time will tell how much of a ding the new Impala and current and next Malibu can make on the Japanese party.
Well it is true... the Camry and Accord are so far ahead of their domestic competition it almost seems unfair to compare them.

The Malibu and Impala sales numbers MAY seem impressive due to fleet sales, but it WON'T be because buyers are taken aback by it's beautiful interior, or they're confident in brand name.

Face it - people who set out to buy Accords or Camrys are not easily swayed.

From Edmunds.com:

"Editors found the Chevrolet Malibu's interior design functional, but certainly not upscale like the interiors of the Accord, Camry and Passat or even trendy like the Mazda 6's or Galant's. Instead, there were comments about the Chevrolet's "rental car look and feel.""

-2003-2004 Family Sedan comparison. Malibu finished 7th. Accord finished 1st.

"It's not exactly encouraging when a freshly redesigned car finishes seventh of 10, but the generally capable Chevrolet Malibu is proof that GM is beginning to understand what resolute import buyers want in a family sedan. Until the company gets serious about offering high-quality interiors, though, Honda and Toyota have nothing to fear."

"The nation's rich people and Honda Accord drivers share a common trait: they're both in a very good place. My advice: stop complaining and just enjoy the ride."

-2003-2004 Family Sedan Comparison. Accord is best in class.

"Absent is the vault-like conformity that has become a hallmark of the Camry and Accord, a duo that further surpasses this Chevy in steering feel and in their low levels of NVH."

-Car and Driver on the 2005 Malibu.

Essentially, forget about it. The Malibu and Malibu SuperSize (Impala) aren't going to steal any Accord or Camry sales. Not only do the latter possess a refinement and general "feel" unmatched by domestic nameplates collectively, they also have a reputation as two of the best built, safest cars on the road.

What satisfies me the most, however, is knowing that the less time American companies spend refining their cars in all aspects, the more Honda and Toyota owners there will be.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:04 AM

Well it is true... the Camry and Accord are so far ahead of their domestic competition it almost seems unfair to compare them.

The Malibu and Impala sales numbers MAY seem impressive due to fleet sales, but it WON'T be because buyers are taken aback by it's beautiful interior, or they're confident in brand name.

From Edmunds.com:

"Editors found the Chevrolet Malibu's interior design functional, but certainly not upscale like the interiors of the Accord, Camry and Passat or even trendy like the Mazda 6's or Galant's. Instead, there were comments about the Chevrolet's "rental car look and feel.""

"It's not exactly encouraging when a freshly redesigned car finishes seventh of 10, but the generally capable Chevrolet Malibu is proof that GM is beginning to understand what resolute import buyers want in a family sedan. Until the company gets serious about offering high-quality interiors, though, Honda and Toyota have nothing to fear."

"The nation's rich people and Honda Accord drivers share a common trait: they're both in a very good place. My advice: stop complaining and just enjoy the ride."

"Absent is the vault-like conformity that has become a hallmark of the Camry and Accord, a duo that further surpasses this Chevy in steering feel and in their low levels of NVH."

Essentially, forget about it. The Malibu and Malibu SuperSize (Impala) aren't going to steal any Accord or Camry sales. Not only do the latter possess a refinement and general "feel" unmatched by domestic nameplates collectively, they also have a reputation as two of the best built, safest cars on the road.

What satisfies me the most, however, is knowing that the less time American companies spend refining their cars in all aspects, the more Honda and Toyota owners there will be.
To be fair, that was the old Impala and Malibu. I will have to see the new ones in person to see if the interior is up to par, and drive them to see if it's any good feeling.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:14 AM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Not the old Malibu. No word yet on Malibu Supersize (Impala), but the new Malibu still pales in comparison to the Camry and Accord. Take a look around.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:30 AM
Moderator Alumnus

From Edmunds.com:

OK, ok. THere is not doubt that the Camry and Accord are better offerings than what GM has in that segment. But you once again, above, make it sound like the Impala/Malibu do not even belong to this segment. That is not true.

Have you driven all of these cars (except the new Impala of course)? You might change your mind if you do and try to judge them with an unbiased eye. The Malibu is a great offering for the price.

Here is a hint for you. Would you believe that the Malibu has a good chance surpassing the Accord in total sales in 2005? And there is no coupe Malibu. Were you aware of that?
Old 08-18-2005, 11:33 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Not the old Malibu. No word yet on Malibu Supersize (Impala), but the new Malibu still pales in comparison to the Camry and Accord. Take a look around.
You all have to remember my argument. It's easy to misunderstand my argument in this case. My argument was not that the Malibu is better than the Camry/Accord. My argument was that the Camry/Accord and even Altima crowd will lose market share to GM with these new cars and especially when the next gen. Malibu comes out. THat one promises a ton from what I hear. Nevertheless.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:41 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Value pricing helping '06 Chevy Impala gain stronger residuals - - By DAVE GUILFORD | Automotive News - - Source: Autoweek

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Value pricing has produced an immediate benefit for Chevrolet: The 2006 Impala is getting a strong uptick in projected residuals.

Automotive Lease Guide of Santa Barbara, Calif., projects residual values for the re-engineered Impala ranging from 41 to 45 percent after a three-year lease. Current three-year residuals range from 31 to 37 percent.

Automotive Lease Guide sets residual values based on the estimated resale value of a vehicle after three years, as a percentage of the original sticker price. GM helped its residuals by cutting the base price of the new Impala by $1,100, to $20,990, including shipping.

Value pricing, in which automakers lower sticker prices to bring them closer to transaction prices, is meant to wean buyers form huge incentives and attract Internet shoppers who focus on price.

Value pricing's effect on residuals -- considered a measure of brand strength -- is another bonus, says Ed Peper, Chevrolet's marketing general manager.

"It is absolutely an intended consequence," Peper said at a press event here.

Adding a V-8

Raj Sundaram, president of Automotive Lease Guide, said the Impala also benefited from being a re-engineered model. Although still built on General Motors' W platform for mid-sized cars, the Impala has been reworked extensively, says vehicle line executive Dave Whittaker.

Key selling points are reduced interior noise and the 5.3-liter V-8 available on the SS performance version, Whittaker says. A 3.5-liter V-6 is the base engine in the LS and LT models. A 3.9-liter V-6 is standard on the upper-level LTZ model and optional on the LT.

GM has added several standard features, including roof-rail side curtain airbags for front and rear passengers; new audio systems featuring an input jack for iPods and MP3 players; and variable valve timing on V-6 engines.

The V-8 comes with cylinder deactivation, which GM markets as Displacement on Demand. Remote starters are standard on all models except the base LS. Fold-flat rear seats are standard on LTZ and SS models.

The car's sheet metal was changed modestly. GM says target buyers don't want flamboyant styling.

Sales formula

GM is following its formula for the Impala by offering a moderately priced vehicle with several premium features. GM rode that strategy to 290,259 U.S. Impala sales last year, up from 174,358 in 2000, the first full year of production for the current model.

GM added a second shift for Impala at its Oshawa, Ontario, car assembly plant in 2002 to meet demand.

But Impala sales still lagged behind segment leaders. Honda sold 386,770 units of the Accord in the United States last year, and Toyota sold 426,990 units of the Camry.

Peper wouldn't give a sales target for the Impala. The goal, he said, is to "sell more."

To do that, he will target buyers from 35 to 54 years old with a household income of $70,000 to $75,000. Buyers are expected to be split evenly between men and women, and about half are expected to be college graduates.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:44 AM

Here is a hint for you. Would you believe that the Malibu has a good chance surpassing the Accord in total sales in 2005? And there is no coupe Malibu. Were you aware of that?
Including fleet and rental sales, maybe. Otherwise, not a chance.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:58 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CanadianDriver

http://www.canadiandriver.com/testdrives/06impala.htm
September 30, 2005

Test Drive:
2006 Chevrolet Impala LTZ
Review and photos by Greg Wilson

Discuss this story in the forum at CarTalkCanada

Click image to enlarge
In its first major redesign since 2000, the front-wheel drive Chevrolet Impala sedan has been given a major styling make-over, an all-new interior, two new V6 engines and an all-new V8, re-tuned suspension, newly designed flip and fold rear seatbacks, and new standard side curtain airbags.

Since 2000, the Oshawa-built Impala has been known for its roomy but unattractive interior, powerful optional 3.8 litre V6 engine, huge trunk, better-than-average reliability, and good crash test scores. A favourite with taxi firms and police departments, the Impala has proved to be a roomy, durable vehicle that's relatively cheap to fix.

The 2006 Impala addresses some of the previous model's weaknesses, notably its poor fit and finish, uncomfortable rear seat, and road noise. In addition, the new Impala offers two new technologically-sophisticated V6 engines with the first use of variable valve timing in an overhead valve engine; and a new V8 engine equipped with cylinder deactivation to improve fuel economy by up to 8% in certain low-load driving conditions.

The 2005 Impala's 180 hp 3.4-litre V6, 200 hp 3.8-litre V6, and 240 hp supercharged 3.8-litre V6 have been replaced by a new 211 hp 3.5-litre V6 on 2006 Impala LS and LT models, a new 240 hp 3.9-litre V6 engine on LTZ trim, and a 303 hp 5.3-litre V8 with Displacement on Demand on the Impala SS.

Click image to enlarge
As a result of "employee pricing discounts" and competitive pricing pressures this year, 2006 MSRPs have been reduced substantially, often by thousands of dollars. Manufacturer's suggested retail prices for the 2006 Impala are as follows: LS $24,685; LT $26,200; LTZ $29,840, and SS $32,855. Our Impala LTZ test car with the standard 3.9 litre V6 and 4-speed automatic transmission, and optional leather upholstery came to $31,730 plus $1,150 for Freight and A/C tax for a total of $32,880.

Styling

Though the new Impala is about the same length and width as the old one, it has a completely different, but more generic appearance - guaranteed not to offend anyone.
Click image to enlarge
Unfortunately, it resembles some other sedans on the market and it's certainly not as distinctive as the previous model, in my opinion. Still, it's a clean, controversy-free styling effort with tighter tolerances between body panels, new grab-style door handles, and new flat-blade wipers for improved wet weather performance.

2006 Impala LS, LT and LTZ models look fairly similar except that the LTZ has 17-inch tires and a trunk spoiler. The Impala SS has 18-inch tires, a distinct front-end that includes a dual-split grille with a black-diamond crosshatch pattern, and at the rear, chrome dual exhaust tips.

Interior impressions

The cabin is a big improvement over the previous Impala. Our Impala LTZ model featured attractive two-tone upper/lower dash plastic, wood and chrome accents, and simple, easy to use controls. The LTZ comes with a leather wrapped steering wheel with cruise and radio controls on the wheel, and floor shifter for the automatic transmission. Note to GM: get rid of the light-coloured floor mats and carpets.

Click image to enlarge

The driver's seat is positioned fairly high for an upright seating position. It features power height, tilt and rake adjustment, and manual lumbar adjustment for comfort, but even in its lowest position, it seems a bit high for tall drivers. The passenger seat also has power adjustability, and both seats offer heaters. The front seats are wide, which is good for larger people, but I found the seatbacks a bit firm. My car had the optional Nuance leather which is smooth rather than textured.

One odd thing about the Impala's interior: the floor shift lever does not have a transmission gear indicator beside it. The driver must look up into the instrument cluster to see what gear has been engaged.

The new three-gauge instrument cluster is attractive and easy to read, and includes a tachometer. A digital display integrated into the speedometer includes the transmission gear indicator, compass, outside temperature display, and odometer.

In the upper centre dash, the radio/CD player features a bright, green-on-black display that's easy to read day or night. It includes a standard auxiliary input jack for external devices, such as iPod or MP3 players, to be played through the vehicle's audio system. But even on the Impala LTZ, a 6-disc CD changer is optional.

The dual temperature automatic climate control in my LTZ has sensible round dials for the fan speed and ventilation choices, but the temperature controls are two vertical wheels that I found awkward to operate.

Below that is a roomy, open storage bin with two 12-volt powerpoints, and behind the shift lever is an open storage area that can be turned into two cupholders by sliding a divider into the middle - very ingenious!

Between the front seats is an armrest with a large bi-level storage bin. However, the upper compartment must be physically removed before the driver can access the lower compartment - which I found awkward. Usually, both upper and lower storage areas can be accessed with two separate releases.

The rear bench seat accommodates three adults and has three fixed head restraints. There is plenty of legroom and headroom for rear passengers.

The new 70/30 split folding seatbacks are unique: the seat cushions flip up and forwards, and only the inner portion of the rear seatbacks folds down flat. But the seatbacks aren't lockable. As well, the rear seat cushions have a covered storage area beneath them when down, and there are grocery bag hooks on the back of the cushions when flipped forward.

The Impala's 527-litre (18.6 cu. ft.) trunk is huge, and fully lined.

Driving impressions

Techno-weenies will appreciate the fact that the new variable valve timing system in the new 3.9-litre OHV 60 degree V6 is capable of changing the angular orientation of the camshaft, thereby adjusting the timing of the exhaust and intake valves to optimize performance and fuel economy, and reduce emissions. This engine has already received Popular Mechanics' "Breakthrough Award" for its "innovative adaptation of variable valve timing."

Click image to enlarge
But for most of us, the main thing is that it has more power and torque than the 3.8-litre V6, better all-around performance, and only marginally worse fuel economy.

The 3.9 litre engine uses both variable valve timing and a variable-length intake manifold to produce 240 horsepower @ 6000 rpm and 242 lb-ft. of torque @ 4400 rpm. 90 percent of its torque is available from 1800 to 5800 rpm. That compares to the 3.8 litre V6 with 200 hp @ 5200 rpm, and 225 lb-ft @ 4000 rpm.

Click image to enlarge
Though the 3.9-litre engine has 42 more horsepower and 17 more foot pounds of torque, fuel economy suffers by only about 5%. Official fuel economy numbers for the 3.9 are: City 12.1 L/100 km (23 mpg Imperial) and Hwy: 7.9 L/100 km (36 mpg Imperial). The 3.8 V6 offers City 11.9 (24 mpg Imperial), and Hwy 7.3 (39 mpg Imperial).

Perhaps almost as important as the engine's performance is its improved quietness and lower vibration levels. A number of improvements were made to reduce NVH (noise, vibration and harshness) including a stiffer front body structure and an aluminum engine cradle. Around town and on the highway, the Impala is quieter with less engine and road noise seeping into the cabin. The engine turns over just 1900 at 100 km/h and 2300 at 120 km/h, and the four-speed automatic transmission is very smooth. On the freeway, the cabin is very quiet with just a little bit of wind noise coming from the oddly shaped left mirror.

Click image to enlarge
The driver has good visibility forwards, and to the side - the third side window does help when changing lanes. However, the rear window is quite high because of the high trunklid. It makes it impossible to see the front of the car directly behind you when parallel parking, or backing into a space at the mall. As well, the optional trunk spoiler on my test car didn't help visibility. Curiously, the three rear fixed head restraints didn't impede rear visibility. A concern for city dwellers: the Impala is a fairly long car - over 200 inches long. Parking and manoeuvring in tight spots can be challenging.

Click image to enlarge
While it's a comfortable daily driver with very nice highway manners, the Impala LTZ balks at any kind of aggressive driving manoeuvres. It tends to lean and understeer in tight corners even though it has fairly meaty Goodyear Eagle LS 225/55R-17 inch radials; and the steering is fairly vague on the highway although satisfactory in town. New four-wheel-disc brakes with larger front brakes and standard ABS and electronic brake differential provide quicker stops and have a linear pedal feel - but ABS is optional on LS and LT models. Those drivers seeking a performance-oriented sedan should look at the Impala SS which has a performance-tuned suspension. One more thing: I disliked the sound of the turn signal indicator. It sounds like a metal spoon being banged inside a tin can. Cheap! And doesn't reflect the rest of the car.

Safety features

For 2006, the Impala offers new standard side-curtain air bags, which offer head protection for outboard passengers in a side collision. Mounted in the roof rails, the side curtain air bags deploy down to the lower edge of the windows from the A-pillar to the C-pillar.

Dual stage front airbags for front passengers are standard, and the airbag sensor for front passenger seat is capable of differentiating between adults, 5th percentile females and larger and small children or child seats, in its deployment speed. This is to avoid injuring smaller passengers.

At the rear, there are LATCH anchors and tethers for up to three child seats, three 3-point seatbelts, and three head restraints. The 2006 Impala features a strengthened "safety cage" passenger compartment for improved energy dissipation in the event of a crash. No crash tests of the 2006 Impala have been performed yet, but the 2005 Impala received a "Good" rating in the 40 mph frontal offset crash test conducted by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety; and 5 Stars for the driver and front passenger in 35 mph frontal crash tests, and 4 stars for front and rear passengers in side impact crash tests conducted by the U.S. National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA).

Competitors

The Impala is bigger than most mid-size sedans and smaller than some large sedans, so it's difficult to say exactly which cars it competes with, but I would include the Buick Allure, Ford Five-Hundred, Chrysler 300, Pontiac Bonneville, and some of the larger imports like the Nissan Altima, Toyota Camry, and the new VW Passat. Reliability

With new powertrains, it's too early to say how reliable the 2006 Impala will be, but Consumer Reports rated the previous Impala's predicted reliability as "better than average". As well, the 2005 Impala was ranked second (to the Buick Century) in the 2005 Initial Quality Survey conducted by J.D. Power and Associates

Verdict

An improved interior, quieter ride, more power, improved safety, and a lower price are the highlights of the redesigned 2006 Chevrolet Impala, but the visibility to the rear is hampered by a tall trunk, handling is mediocre, and the new styling lacks individuality.

Technical Data: 2005 Chevrolet Impala LTZ

Base price LTZ $29,840
Options $1,790
Freight $1,150
A/C tax $100
Price as tested $32,880
Type 4-door, 5/6-passenger full size sedan
Layout Front engine/front-wheel-drive
Engine 3.9-litre V6, OHV, 12 valves, VVT
Horsepower 240 @ 6000 rpm
Torque 242 @ 4400 rpm
Transmission 4-speed automatic
Tires P225/55R-17 AL2 Goodyear Eagle touring
Curb weight N/A (app. 1660 kg)
Wheelbase 2807 mm (110.5 in.)
Length 5091 mm (200.4 in.)
Width 1851 mm (72.9 in.)
Height 1487 mm (58.7 in.)
Cargo capacity 527 litres (18.6 cu. ft.)
Fuel consumption City: 12.1 L/100 km (23 mpg Imperial)
Hwy: 7.9 L/100 km (36 mpg Imperial)
Warranty 3 yrs/60,000 km
Powertrain Warranty 3 yrs/60,000 km
Assembly location Oshawa, Ontario

Greg Wilson is a Vancouver-based automotive journalist and editor of CanadianDriver

More Test Drives....

© 1999-2005, CanadianDriver Communications Inc., all rights reserved
Disclaimer | Privacy

CanadianDriver is a member
of the AOL Canada Media Network.
Old 09-30-2005, 02:46 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
That residuals thing is nonsense.

It's simple math ... Why is this even a story?

Quick Reply: Chevrolet: Impala News