Chevrolet: Impala News

Old 01-05-2005, 11:37 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Now you will see more beatiful cars with blue and red lights on your tail
Old 01-05-2005, 12:59 PM
Kabachitare!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to admit it does look much better than the current car. Especially the cleaned up rear end.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:45 PM
TQ > MPG

Looks too common to me. I didnt dislike the exterior of the previous gen, just the taillights & stupid interior. I guess its not ugly at least, unlike the new & old Monte Carlo.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:18 PM
Safety Car

Los Angeles, California - The 2006 Impala sedan and Monte Carlo coupe unveiled today feature revised styling inside and out, but the big news is what's under the hood: Impala SS and Monte Carlo SS receive the new LS4 5.3 litre V-8 with Displacement On Demand (DOD) technology to regulate between eight-cylinder and four-cylinder operation - providing up to 12 percent improved fuel economy in certain light-load driving conditions. The 5.3 litre V-8 produces 303 horsepower and 323 lb.-ft. of torque.

A new family of high-tech V-6 engines, which features cam phasing to optimize performance and economy, is standard in both vehicles, with the base models receiving a new 3.5 litre V-6 that produces 210 horsepower and 220 lb.-ft. of torque. Uplevel models are available with a 240-horsepower 3.9 litre V-6 built on the same architecture as the 3.5 litre engine.

"The '06 Impala and Monte Carlo deliver more of what customers want from a large sedan or coupe - uncompromising roominess, but with the performance and styling of a sports car," said Brent Dewar, Chevrolet general manager. "Mid-car represents the largest segment of the industry, and the '06 Impala and Monte Carlo will continue Chevy's leadership there."

The Impala SS and Monte Carlo SS models receive distinct front-end appearances separate from other models, including dual-split grilles that have a black-diamond crosshatch pattern. Monte Carlo models feature a rear decklid spoiler, with the Monte Carlo SS featuring a separate design suggestive of NASCAR-style spoilers. Impala SS and Monte Carlo SS models feature Corvette-inspired bright exhaust outlets. Impala LTZ and SS have a standard rear spoiler. A spoiler is available on the LT.

The Impala features a unique flip-and-fold rear seat. The forward-flip rear seat cushions create a covered storage area beneath the seat with cushions down and offers convenient grocery bag hooks when the cushions are flipped forward. The seat back also folds down to create a generous pass-through from the trunk when seat backs are folded flat - an exclusive feature in its segment.

The Impala also offers standard side-curtain air bags, which provide optimum head protection for outboard passengers. The side curtain air bags are mounted in the side roof rails and deploy down to the lower edge of the windows from the A-pillar to the C-pillar. The Monte Carlo offers new optional side seat-mounted air bags, which help optimize head and torso protection for the driver and front passenger.

Other new features for 2006 include:

Retuned suspensions with wider track, providing sporty, more comfortable ride
New family of 16-inch, 17-inch and 18-inch wheels and tires
Enhanced ABS and traction control
Comfortable interiors with improved seat upholstery stitching, low-gloss IP components
an all-new instrument panel design that wraps around into the door panels and has a double-hump design that is reminiscent of early Corvettes.
Nuance Sandstone leather seating (available)
New family of audio systems
Remote start optional
OnStar Gen 6 standard
Production of the 2006 Chevrolet Impala and Monte Carlo will take place at General Motors' Oshawa No. 1 plant in Ontario.
canadiandriver
Old 01-05-2005, 02:21 PM
Safety Car

Sounds like a nice family sedan so far with great power and the exterior looks have come together well.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:44 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

I'm seeing 300M design cues on the rear. It's a somewhat good looking car though..
Old 01-05-2005, 02:58 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Not bad at all, will definitely sell.......looks much better than the current car.

The car looks nicely upscale.

Old 01-05-2005, 04:14 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Interior looks very impressive actually. Very nice!
Old 01-05-2005, 04:18 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Are these 3.5 and 3.9 engines OHV ?
Old 01-05-2005, 05:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Nice car... Definitely a big improvement over the previous version
Old 01-05-2005, 05:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by gavriil
Are these 3.5 and 3.9 engines OHV ?
Yes. They are the a next-gen version of the old venerable 3.8L OHV. These engines supposedly are pretty smooth, get excellent fuel economy and are very torquey.. Not the best choice but fit the car fine IMO.

The 3.5L gets the same fuel economy as my 03 Accord 2.4L I-4 yet makes significantly more power.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:27 PM
Safety Car

Woah... who knew Chevy had it in them. The interior is very very nice (though we're looking at the SS model; the others may get a less sporty look, like fake wood where the silver is). Great placement of the console and the dash design looks good. I like this car the more I look at it; the question is, would you buy this over an Avalon, or 300...
Old 01-05-2005, 06:30 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by cusdaddy
Yes. They are the a next-gen version of the old venerable 3.8L OHV. These engines supposedly are pretty smooth, get excellent fuel economy and are very torquey.. Not the best choice but fit the car fine IMO.

The 3.5L gets the same fuel economy as my 03 Accord 2.4L I-4 yet makes significantly more power.
I'm with you... this engine is a good choice for this car. My dad had a LeSabre with the 3.8L V6, and that thing was bullit proof. And that was in '88. These engines are strong, queit, and troquey, which will work well in this large car. Kudos to GM for developing the 5.3L V8 with DOD. Great innovation for an engine that will be sold in mass quantities, and not just for lux vehichles.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:08 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by titan
I like this car the more I look at it; the question is, would you buy this over an Avalon, or 300...
Over an Avalon? Yes, I would take an SS over the new Avalon, just for the fact that the Avalon is a luxury ship (no sport). Would I take it over a 300C hemi? Probably not because I prefer rwd, but would drive both before making a decision.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:32 PM
Got da Internet Goin Nutz

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gavriil
Now you will see more beatiful cars with blue and red lights on your tail

Yes sportfans, memorize those headlights RIGHT NOW, they will be attached to 90% of the cop cars in 5 years gauranteed (esp. with an available v8).
Old 01-05-2005, 11:08 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Beltfed
Over an Avalon? Yes, I would take an SS over the new Avalon, just for the fact that the Avalon is a luxury ship (no sport). Would I take it over a 300C hemi? Probably not because I prefer rwd, but would drive both before making a decision.
I'm with ya. I'd take an SS over the new Avalon, with more power and a sporty feel. I like the new Impala interior alot, but the Avalon's is awesome (I luv the lux). Ofcourse, the sport aspect wins. I like the RWD and 340HP from the 300C but I don't like the "Wish I was a Bently" styling. Still, as you said, I'd test them both before a final desicion.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:56 AM
Kabachitare!

If I was in the market for this type of car I'd still prefer an Avalon but all of the improvements in the 2006 Impala make it worth some consideration.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:24 AM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree. The interior is light years beyond the old Impala.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:00 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by cusdaddy

Thanks.

I tell ya, I sound like i am bashing the 3.4 but I have driven it several times before on several different GM rentals and I was always impressed by it.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:49 PM
Suzuka Master

GM is finally waking up. Looks like Lutz is really making great strides. Hopefully, he can be another Ghosn like figure.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:35 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SHIT, now it will be harder to differentiate the coppers from every other car on the road.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:12 PM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I like it

Definately looks waaaaay better than the current one
Old 01-13-2005, 07:33 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AsianRage
I see some Honda Accord in there. And those wheels look size appropriate.
yea, looks better than current model, thats for sure.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:41 AM

i don't know if this is the appropriate place/thread for this but...

I haven't heard anything mentioned about the new Impala's pricetag but I was at the chevy dealer yesterday and they had 4 new Impalas. I guess they aren't officially out yet since I see no mention of them on chevy's site (save for the upcoming vehicles part) The Base was $21,000, the middle of the road was 26,000 (with the 3900 engine) and the SS was 31,000 (with the V8)

The interior looked decent and the materials and fit were surprisingly good, but the seats felt like sitting on a water bed or something...mushy...not good. I also didn't like the layout of the interior, and the rear felt more crammed then our Accord.

They had a Tan base model, and it looked soo cheap and anonymous. The SS and middle one (LS?) looked a lot better with the spoilers and what not.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:46 AM
That's Racist

Holy back from the dead.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:36 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by Time For Sleeep
Holy back from the dead.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:45 PM
That's Racist

and on that note. let us never acknowledge the existent of these enterprise fleet cars again?
Old 07-29-2005, 01:36 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
wow, this was before i was a member
Old 07-29-2005, 02:21 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
That spoiler is gross. And the interior photos don't work anymore. But it's so far ahead of the current car~!
Old 07-29-2005, 04:07 PM
Safety Car

Think the major problem is while its a step forward for GM, its two steps back from the leaders.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:21 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by heyitsme
Think the major problem is while its a step forward for GM, its two steps back from the leaders.
What GM is doing is finally catching up to Chrysler.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:19 PM
Moderator Alumnus

2006 Chevrolet Impala - - By Gary Witzenburg - - Source: The Car Connection

Few who saw Chevy's new Impala at the Detroit North American International Auto Show realized how new it really was. The car it replaces has been quietly competent and successful -- outselling Chrysler's hot 300 by more than 50,000 units during the first half of this year - but bland in looks, moderate in performance and about as exciting as yesterday's beer. All it did was offer good build quality and interior room and terrific value for dollar and sell in substantial numbers year after year.

Now comes this new Impala looking better (though not that different) than the old one and surpassing it (and most everything else in its class) in virtually every way. Comparing roominess (for six), cargo capacity, base and V-8 performance, V-6 and V-8 fuel economy, and V-6 and V-8 base price, Chevy says it beats Camry, Accord, Altima, Five Hundred and 300 in everything except the Five Hundred's bigger trunk and the 300C HEMI's bigger performance.

Yet critics and enthusiasts will diss it for at least four valid reasons: 1) its new look is handsome but hardy exciting, 2) it's front-wheel-driven, 3) there's not an overhead cam among its three available engines, and 4) its only transmission is a four-speed automatic.

Three new powerplants

The new 60-degree 3.5-liter V-6 standard on base LS and LT models generates a very respectable 211 hp and 214 lb-ft of torque (at 4000 rpm) and features a forged steel crankshaft, electronic throttle control and - a first in any OHV (pushrod) engine -- variable valve timing. It pulls the 3553-lb LS from rest to 60 mph in 8.4 sec., offers E85 ethanol-blend fuel capability and scores 21 mpg city and 31 highway on unleaded regular in EPA testing. Compared to the previous GM V-6 of the same 3.5-liter displacement, "there are maybe a half-dozen parts carried over," says Asst. Chief Engineer Gary Horvat. "This is pretty much a ground-up new engine."

The mid-range 3.9-liter version, standard on the LTZ and available on LT, adds a variable-length intake manifold to optimize flow at high and low revs and ups the V-6 ante to 242 hp and 242 lb-ft. Chevy says it's good for 7.8 seconds from 0-60 mph and 19/27 mpg in fuel economy. Yes, these new V-6s would be somewhat smoother and quieter with overhead cams, especially at high rpm (and slightly more efficient with more gears in the box) but also a bunch more expensive.

For V-8 fans (and who isn't?) best news is the delightful new Impala SS, which returns legendary small-block Chevy power to the once-legendary Impala nameplate for the first time since last decade's huge, blimp-like rear-drive Impalas. This all-aluminum 5.3-liter sweetheart pumps out a healthy 303 hp and 323 lb-ft, launches the 3712-lb SS to 60 mph in 5.7 sec. and -- partly thanks to GM's Displacement on Demand (DOD) cylinder deactivation technology - delivers a very decent 18 mpg city, 28 mpg highway EPA economy.

Styled to blend in

"Our goal was to build on the previous car's success and move it upmarket a bit," said Impala Lead Exterior Designer Louis "Chip" Thole. Mission accomplished, we think. Perceived quality inside and out, judging by fits, gaps and materials, is much improved and competitive. Subtle vortices off the front and rear wheel wells (a new Chevy trademark) add interest to the side view, and the SS gets performance-look crosshatch grille texture. We think its clean, conservative look salutes (pre-bold-new-face) Audi in front, BMW in the rear C-pillar and half the cars on the road in its triangular taillamp design. (We're told the Chevy quad round taillamps beneath the large primary lenses dominate at night.)

It's no Audi inside but (like most Audis) simple in design and well executed with IP plastics hard to the touch but nicely textured. The only real controversy, as always, is the faux wood in most models. Some will like it, we don't. Brushed metal-look trim is optional, but we like the SS's carbon-fiber-like panels. There's good passenger room front and rear, and flip-and-fold rear seats provide a choice of recessed cargo bins or a carpeted flat floor with pass-through to the trunk. Nice!

The Impala's fully-independent suspension calibrations logically elevate with performance. Base V-6 buyers get 16-inch S-rated tires with "smooth ride and in-control handling," Chevy says. The 3.9-liter V-6 brings FE1 "elegant agility with…more ride character" and more aggressive 17-inch T-rated tires. The SS wears 18-inch W-rated rubber with FE3 chassis rates that appropriately "trade some ride…handling, without being harsh."

We found all three variations true to these descriptions. Base V-6 models, not overly soft or underpowered, will satisfy their budget-minded buyers. "Up" V-6 cars felt stronger off the line and comfortable in ride yet surprisingly agile and balanced through the turns - better than expected, truth be told. Our overwhelming favorite, of course, is the highly effective SS. Its lovely small-block music entertains each time you tickle the pedal, its acceleration is exhilarating, and its curvy road character is as good as it gets with fwd cars this size. There is a touch of torque steer when powering hard out of tight turns.

Steering (with the same 13.3:1 power rack-and-pinion gear in all models) felt slightly underboosted at parking speeds but nicely weighted with good feel and feedback underway. We didn't get a chance to try repeated aggressive stops, but the four-wheel power discs with vented front rotors never showed any fade when we used them hard. ABS and traction control are available on LS and LT and standard on other models, and all but the base 16-inch wheels come with tire pressure monitoring.

Cabin essence

It was clear at elevated speeds that much attention has been paid to interior quietness in both cabin isolation and at-the-source noise reduction. Examples are laminated steel in the front-of-dash, 5-mm side glass, stylishly flat windshield wipers, a very sound absorbent steering column boot and exhaust hangers mounted at the system's noise nodes. For crash protection, the passenger compartment is surrounded by a high-strength steel "safety cage," under-seat structural tubes work with a center-tunnel crush box to deflect and absorb side-impact loads, and both side-curtain and dual-stage front air bags are standard.

The Impala is assembled at GM's Oshawa, Ontario, Canada plant, recently cited as the highest-quality facility in North and South America for the third time in four years by J. D. Power. It's also the most efficient North American plant according to the 2005 Harbour Report. Chevy pointedly adds that the 2005 Impala beat Accord, Altima, Five Hundred and 300, and topped Camry for the fifth straight year, in Power's 2005 IQS ratings.

Impala prices (reduced from '05 despite more standard equipment) start at $21,990 and extend through $22,520 for the 3.5L LT, $27,530 for the 3.9-liter LTZ and $27,790 for the SS. These much-improved '06 Impalas complete Chevy's recently-renewed car stable and -- given that lots of folks prefer front-drive, especially in bad-weather states, and eschew look-at-me styling -- we don't see why they shouldn't sell even better than their popular predecessors.

GET Kelley Blue Book Pricing for this vehicle

2006 Chevrolet Impala
Base price: $21,990
Engines: 3.5-liter V-6, 211 hp/214 lb-ft; 3.9-liter V-6, 242 hp/242 lb-ft; 5.3-liter V-8, 303 hp/323 lb-ft

Transmission: Four-speed automatic, front-wheel drive
Wheelbase: 110.5 in
Length: 200.4 in
Width: 72.9 in
Height: 58.7 in
Curb weight: 3553 lb (LS)
EPA (city/hwy): 21/31 mph (3.5-liter V-6); 19/27 mpg (3.9-liter V-6); 18/28 mpg (5.3-liter V-8)
Safety features: Dual front and side curtain airbags; anti-lock brakes (optional LS/LT)

Major standard features: A/C; power windows/locks/mirrors; remote keyless entry; cruise control; eight-way power driver's seat with manual-adjustable lumbar; AM/FM/CD player; 16-inch wheels/tires

Warranty: Three years, 36,000 miles
Pics follow below...
Old 08-07-2005, 01:20 PM
Moderator Alumnus

2006 Chevrolet Impala - - By Gary Witzenburg - - Source: The Car Connection

Old 08-07-2005, 01:20 PM
Moderator Alumnus

The interior design looks very clean. I wonder how it will feel live.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
not sure why but it looks like a ford to me. Interior is nicely done though.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:35 PM
Pit Stop?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engines: 3.5-liter V-6, 211 hp/214 lb-ft

Are you serious? That's a horrible amount of power to get out of such a large engine. GM should just liscense VQs and be done with it............
Old 08-07-2005, 02:03 PM
Banned

They're on the dealer lots and the roads around here. Bland!!! Losing the beakish front end and the quad round taillamps wasn't the right way to go.

AMERICAN REVOLUTION * NEW 2006 CHEVY LUMINA!
Old 08-07-2005, 02:04 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Minch00
Engines: 3.5-liter V-6, 211 hp/214 lb-ft

Are you serious? That's a horrible amount of power to get out of such a large engine. GM should just liscense VQs and be done with it............

There we go again.

Have you looked at:

1. This is the base engine for a car in a class where pretty much everyone else starts with a 2.4L 4 cyl. and
2. While being a 6 with tons more power than a 4, it gives you the gas consumption of a 4, if not better than that. Look at the whole set of specs, not just specific power.

Getting 214 pounds of torque out of the base engine in an Impala is a feat in my opinion. BMW's 3.0L base engine makes torque in the 180s range. That's what's horrible when you look at price, consumption, etc.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:13 PM
Banned

GM's engines are remarkably efficient for the size. Even more remarkable, GM is putting a new engine into the bread-and-butter Chevrolet.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:25 PM
hail to the victors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well it's a improvement

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Chevrolet: Impala News