Chevrolet: Camaro News

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 10:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like it's based on the Saturn Sky / Pontiac Solstice platform.
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ghlight=Saturn
Old 02-06-2005, 10:14 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by gocubsgo55
To be built on the GTO platform (OBVIOUSLY!). Also according to my friend, GM has produced 2 other concepts and have yet to decide which will be the official one. Again, nothing is truely official yet, his sources may be BS for all I know. Can anyone confirm this stuff?

Also, I think it's growing on me. I must say, despite that awkward, 80's-style rear, the overall shape is hot.
The next generation GTO will be built off of a new platform (not the current Holden platform).

Also I was under the impression that the next Camaro will be built off of the(or possibly stretched thereof) Kappa platform.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:17 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

my fav camaro body style......hot.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:21 AM
Moderator Alumnus

This is what's speculated as the platform to be used for the next Camaro
Old 02-06-2005, 12:00 PM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gavriil
The next generation GTO will be built off of a new platform (not the current Holden platform).

Also I was under the impression that the next Camaro will be built off of the(or possibly stretched thereof) Kappa platform.
Yeah, I was under the impression Chevy would get a stretched Kappa for the Camaro while the GTO got the Zeta successor. I really like this pic. I'd buy this over the Mustang in an instant. Very aggressive looking. The rear should be revised, though.
Old 02-06-2005, 01:08 PM
Moderator Alumnus

The rendering above looks like done by an amature. It just does not look like a finished design concept job to me.
Old 02-06-2005, 03:48 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by gocubsgo55
This thing has hit the web hard and fast. A friend of mine showed me these pictures. I didn't believe him, but he insists they're pictures of the concept to be unveiled next year.

Man, if the next Camaro looks like that, I'd buy it in a heartbeat
Old 02-06-2005, 03:54 PM
Banned

completely copied the mustang. yea this concept looks hot, but do you realize how many ppl on the road will have this exact car. the new mustang is hot as hell, but most of the ones you see are V6s driven by women in their 30s.

also, i what i dont understand is what the Mustang, and possibly this camaro, will do for future design. The Mustang is now a modern retro which seems to be just a phase. how will their design evolve for the next gen?

a modern retro style would be nice for a limited edition type, but it seems lacking as an "already-done" basis for design.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:56 PM
Safety Car

That camaro pic has been out for a long time, heres the story behind it http://www.popularhotrodding.com/fea...09phr_5camaro/

Note the all-important stance in this rear view. The upswept rear fascia implies strength and agility. Note the small decklid spoiler and classic twin taillamps.
This early rendition shows hide-away headlights, a lower hood line and custom billet wheels. This alternative fascia treatment was well received on the internet.

The Fifth Element
The next generatioin Camaro does exist, if only in the mind of one incredibly talented teenager.

By JOHNNY HUNKINS
Photography: Kris Horton

When GM made the announcement that the Camaro and Firebird would no longer be built after a 35-year reign, most enthusiasts were numb with disbelief. How could this happen, thought legions of fans. One of those Camaro fans was a Ridgecrest, Calif., teenager by the name of Kris Horton. While the rest of us old fogies grudgingly accepted the death of the Chevy icon, young Horton didn't know any better. Through sheer force of will and the exuberance of youth, Horton undertook the singular task of designing a fifth-generation Camaro with unabashed heritage styling cues.

Irrespective of GM's true intent towards a next generation Camaro, there is quite a debate both inside and outside GM, over which styling direction it should take.

One faction--a slim majority by all accounts--favors a futuristic aerodynamic theme, the other camp, a heritage direction. Horton favors the later. He makes no apologies for the retro design seen here. In fact, the new "retro" SSR truck was one of Horton's primary influences. "It started out with me being into all the retro designs that are out," says the 19-year-old Horton. "One of the cars I look to for inspiration is the SSR. But I didn't feel that the SSR really satisfied what all the enthusiasts wanted. I wanted to do a take on a first-generation Camaro because many people were sad to see it go."
Sticker price, while demonstrably less on the minds of wealthy executives these days, is a big issue for this intrepid student. "In my perfect world, this Camaro would be an affordable car," Horton says. "It would have to be a rear-drive V-8 with a solid axle and cost between $25,000 and $30,000. I've always believed that it doesn't have to take money to be a car enthusiast." To that sentiment we give a big thumbs up.

The images you see here were refined by Horton with input from the author over a three-month period in early 2003. Horton posted the earliest versions on several active Camaro bulletin boards including www.camaroz28.com and www.camaros.net. At that time, Horton's work came to the attention of PHR and several iterative designs ensued, culminating in the illustrations seen here. During that time, we gained an appreciation for young Horton's strong work ethic and his passion for cars. "My interest for cars comes from my dad who is mostly into Chevys," Horton explains. "It really picked up when I learned to drive, especially since my first car was a Chevy, an El Camino. I've always been most interested in the classic musclecars, especially Chevelles and Camaros. I liked the styling of them the most. The loss of the Camaro effected me, I was truly upset to see it go, especially when it was becoming an icon. When I saw that Ford was doing a car that was a nod to the first-generation Mustang, that's what got me going on designing the retro-styled fifth-gen Camaro."

Budding designers take note, Horton's creation was shaped not with grease pencils and stencil paper, but on computer with a student version of a program called Softimage XSI (by Avid). Ostensibly an animation program, Horton finds it conducive for modeling virtual automotive shapes in natural light. "As far as designing and modeling cars, most of what I know is self-taught," Horton explains. "I've been studying on my own how designers build 3-D models, then adding in my own style and taste for cars. I first got started in the program I'm using right now at the Cerro Coso Academy of Digital Animation in Ridgecrest, Calif. I originally wanted to do animation for a movie effects house, but I found myself leaning more toward the modeling aspect."

To see such talent at a young age is unusual. And while we could get no official comment from GM concerning Horton's design (GM does not accept any renderings from outside for legal reasons) we did contact retired GM engineer Jim Warren for his critique. Warren, a 42-year GM veteran, spent 20 years on the production staff at Chevrolet and Fisher Body before moving on for another 20 years at GM design staff. Currently, Warren is a head instructor at GM University, where he teaches new engineering recruits the art of body packaging.

PHR: Tell us Jim, do you think Kris' Camaro is practical for production?
Jim Warren: It doesn't look like there's anything that couldn't be productionized on this model. You'd have to have the proper-sized wheels you were going to have on there and the proper suspension. You have to design the wheel opening to the tire jounce and rebound--flop as we call it. As far as the engine, you'd need a scale-sized drawing of it to see if it fits under the hood and between the wheels--stuff like that. You would want to take some sections off the model to-scale to get dimensions off them.

PHR: What about from a styling standpoint?

Warren: On the exterior surface, all of this could be made to work. You might be moving some surfaces around a little bit, but it looks pretty close to being a car right now. He's done a real good job. I think if he's done this himself, he's a real good candidate to get into the Art Center. He's got enough height on the door to package the glass down in the door. You don't want any sticking up or anything. The only thing I would question on the body side is the wheel openings. He may not have enough area for suspension travel. It looks like--just trying to picture some person standing by the car--the hood height would accommodate an engine in there, pretty damn close anyway. The proportion looks good. It looks like the front of the hood is more realistic; most of the designers from the aesthetics studio do hoods that look like they dive into the ground sloping down hill, but we always have to raise that up to get the engines and radiators in. But he looks like he's already there. He must actually work on cars or something.

PHR: Do you see anything right off the bat that you might be concerned about? Anything that might be a problem for regulations or standards?

Warren: Just looking at the side view, it looks like he's going to need a little more distance between the end of the bumper and the taillamps--for impact standards. It looks like it needs another inch or two. The same would probably go for the front too. One other thing--you've got a quarter window in there. You might have a little trouble dropping that window between the end of the door and the rear wheel house. You might have to bring the rear wheel back or lower the greenhouse. If they did package the engine in and found they had extra room to lower the hood, you might even want to drop the beltline down to look a little better.

PHR: Do you see anything here that might be a lightning rod for the beancounters?

Warren: There's a push on now at GM to make doors thinner. What that does is inhibits design and shape, making the body more slab-sided. This is to reduce the die stations at the plants so they don't have to draw the door inner panels so deep. It reduces the cost. A car like this with some shape in it has some zippiness, but that may be at odds with the business case. It would get some people interested though.

Influence & Direction

One thing readers may note is the front end's striking similarity to the Chevelle. This is no accident, as Horton is a big fan of '70-'72 Chevelles. When asked what his favorite car is, Horton says, "My ideal car is a '70 Chevelle with an LS6 in it." Traditionalists may disagree with this styling cue, but we think it indelibly stamps this Camaro with the Chevy brand. Another nod to previous Chevys is the quad taillamp design, which is evocative of classic Corvettes, Chevelles and second-generation Camaros. Nose to tail, Horton's Camaro is all Chevy, right down to the SS stripes and Hugger Orange paint. Sharp eyes will note the 18-inch ROH R/T wheels, already original equipment on some special-edition Holdens. A close look at the headlamps reveals not old-style sealed glass lamps, but a composite lens with high-intensity discharge lamps and integral turn signals.

So what does the future hold for Horton? After all, an active imagination like his would benefit all PHR's readers in time, provided Horton is allowed to strut his stuff. "My main drive right now is to go to school for automotive design," Horton says. "The one I've wanted to go to for years now is the Art Center College of Design in Pasadena. Out of all the schools, I really like their direction and the products that their students have produced. If I can do that, I'd like to work for one of Detroit's Big Three. I'm really tired of all the boring cars out there and I want to make a difference."

We've got news for Kris--his work will make a big difference to many of us, even before he realizes his dual dreams of art school and gainful employment. If the early response to these renderings on the internet is any indication, this Camaro will cause quite a stir, perhaps even a renewed sense of urgency at GM. Whatever the case, we're confident Kris Horton has a long and prosperous career as a designer ahead of him.

THE RETURN OF THE CAMARO

The mission of the Camaro has always been clear: offer V-8 performance in a rear-wheel drive coupe at a reasonable price. At present, it looks like enthusiasts may just have their way if plans stay on track. Persistent rumors indicate that the next version of Holden's RWD architecture is being jointly developed by the Australians and the Americans for use as a global platform. Unlike next year's production GTO, which needed many bandage fixes to bring it into compliance with US standards, the next Holden will most likely be designed from the outset to comply with US regs. Such an architecture would satisfy the cost criteria for Camaro.

And just how "affordable" is affordable? One needs to look no further than pricing on current Holden V-8 models. In US dollars, it's possible to order a reasonably well-equipped Holden Executive model with an LS1 V-8 and IRS for around $24,000. That's for a four door, but the example does provide good insight into the economies provided by a flexible architecture. As best we can tell, Holden's next-gen global architecture is most likely to be built at Detroit's Hamtramck plant which currently produces the Bonneville, LeSabre and DeVille. Current models of these cars are slated for production through the 2006 model year, making the Holden-based large-car product available for the 2007 model year. Will GM build a Camaro with it? So far, only fullsized RWD cars (and an El Camino) have been discussed, but Holden manufacturing criteria for current product calls for short wheelbase versions--such as the Commodore and Monaro--to be built from the same modular architecture. There's no way to tell if Camaro will re-emerge from Detroit, but we can only hope that the continued dedication by fans like Kris Horton will make it happen.

Old 07-16-2005, 11:48 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Motor Trend is reporting that any plans for a future Camaro are dead!

Same applies to a possible Chevelle and a RWD Pontiac Coupe that was planned.

Old 07-16-2005, 12:52 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
strong work GM
atleast we have a new generation of 2nd best SUV's and Trucks to look forward to.
Old 07-16-2005, 02:21 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by Loseit
strong work GM
atleast we have a new generation of 2nd best SUV's and Trucks to look forward to.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:02 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
I'd like to thank the POS poor excuse for a GTO with dismal sales as being a contributing factor to this. Not the ONLY one...but a contributing one.

Ford - Mustang = score
Dodge - Charger = score
GM - GTO = fucked it up for the rest of their line.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:19 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by The Sarlacc
I'd like to thank the POS poor excuse for a GTO with dismal sales as being a contributing factor to this. Not the ONLY one...but a contributing one.

Ford - Mustang = score
Dodge - Charger = score
The article ends in a similar way. The author wonders why can Chrysler make "got-to-have" 300, Magnum and Charger and GM being so much bigger cannot.
Old 07-16-2005, 08:14 PM
Safety Car

So basically the Camaro is dead because GM doesn't know how to design one that will sell, bubye GM.
Old 07-16-2005, 08:40 PM
Homeless

Ford - Mustang = score
Dodge - Charger = score
Old 07-17-2005, 12:33 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by heyitsme
So basically the Camaro is dead because GM doesn't know how to design one that will sell, bubye GM.
No. I dont think that's the case at all. The major reason why the Camaro, the Velite and other variants of that platform (like a RWD Pontiac Coupe vehicle) are dead, is because they have to cut cost from projects that GM does not expect to be volume hits and/or have high margins on them.

Of course, that's all very very arguable. Because the 300 and Charger are expected to be volume hits with high margins probably due to the fact that they are desirable from the market and so they dont have to be discounted. Same for the Mustang. But let's see how long they will last being desirable.

SUVs have shown to be desirable for a lot longer than a hot sedan or coupe historically. Plus, margins are WAY higher. That's what GM is betting on. Let's see what they know that we do not.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:36 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I was thinking yesterday about the following:

I think that the savior of exciting cars in the USA will be the Chinese market!

The above sounds crazy but here is what I think will happen 10-15 years from now:

In brief, the demand in China will be so large where GM engineers and vechicle planners, will be able to justify the creation of XYZ platform which will base, among other high volume vehicles, low volume vehicles, like coupe variants.

A good example is the Zeta platform. If GM could have found another 250,000 vehicles to build on that platform and sell somewhere, our Camaro and Velite and who knows what else, could have been reality.

VOLUME is what these guys seek to achieve so that when they go to the board to propose the creation of a new vehicle, they can easily justify it financially. China may as well be the savior of important, for our shores, vehicles. Let's see.
Old 07-17-2005, 01:42 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
VOLUME is what these guys seek to achieve so that when they go to the board to propose the creation of a new vehicle, they can easily justify it financially. China may as well be the savior of important, for our shores, vehicles. Let's see.
It has to be volume. They keep giving away their cars so the only way to make money is to sell 10 Billion of them for $1 profit
Old 08-04-2005, 11:27 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Mustang success motivates GM’s engineers, Mark Reuss says - - By Richard Truett - - Source: Automotive News

TRAVERSE CITY, Mich. -- The continued success of Ford’s red-hot Mustang is being noticed at General Motors. There has been talk reviving the Chevrolet Camaro as a competitor to Ford’s pony car.

Mark Reuss, GM’s executive director of vehicle architecture and Performance Division, says his engineers are looking to develop a low-cost rear-wheel drive platform that makes good business sense. Reuss spoke to staff reporter Richard Truett at the Management Briefing Seminars.

In light of the success of Ford’s new Mustang, has there been any rethinking of plans to bring back the Camaro or some other competitive car?

Yeah, absolutely. It’s not going unnoticed for sure. I think Ford did a great job with the Mustang, and you really have to look at it as a portfolio of cars. They have everything (in price) from the mid 20s up to 40s on that. They’ve done a nice job. And you have to pay attention to that. For many, many years it was SUVs and four doors. I think the market goes back and forth on a lot of this stuff. I think a coupe with a really great package is a great thing to have. The Pontiac GTO right now is filling our niche in the upper end of the Mustang portfolio. But as we go through time, we look at how do we participate?

The rear-wheel-drive program GM was working on, is it killed, frozen or just not on the front burner?

We would like to have a low-cost, rear-wheel platform in our portfolio, but business is very tough right now. You have to look at that and ask how do we do this on a very profitable basis? We have more brands than just the Ford brand. We are trying to make intelligent decisions on how you do a rear-wheel-drive platform for a couple more brands than a one-branded Ford deal. I think Ford has said the Mustang is the main brand but we are going to do Cobras and all these sub-brands that get us into the higher end. We are probably going to do things that have more brand exposure potentially on a low-cost, rear-drive architecture. Sometimes it gets a little dangerous, quite frankly, about who talks about what and what that person in the media writes about it. Like there is some sort of revelation that we are canceling something or starting something. Quite frankly this is a journey we are on all the time.

Does “low cost” rule out using the Cadillac CTS platform?

Well, I don’t know. If you look at the CTS, you have to look at the good things, such as the straight frame barrels on the front that are very efficient for crush and very stiff for vehicle dynamics. We have an short- and long-arm front suspension and a multi-link rear and those … inherently perform very, very well. There are some cost issues compared to a strut suspension. But the geometry and components that you have in a short- and long-arm architecture could change to make a low-cost rear-wheel-drive architecture. We also have aluminum components. We have some pretty expensive materials in there. There are a lot of different ways to get costs down. Right now we are trying to look at what the portfolio looks like for the next 20 years. What are the things we want to do with it? I don’t think the know-how is lacking. It’s specifically, what do we want to do with it over the next 10 years and then making an efficient business decision to address those needs.

Is the CTS a good size to launch other vehicles off?

We have two different widths, one for rear-wheel drive, one for all-wheel drive. We’ve got a long wheelbase version for China. So there’s a lot of wheelbase flexibility there.

Since the Holden Monaro is going out of production, is there pressure to come up with the next rear-wheel-drive architecture?

It’s not really an initiative as much as it is part of doing the business. We are looking at this stuff all the time. When we are ready to make decisions around what we are going to do there it is going to be a lot of where we want to put the car performance-wise, price-wise and brand-wise. Then we will go from there. That’s kind of how we are approaching it. This is an ongoing thing.

What makes the Pontiac Solstice so special that buyers are lining up for it?

The soul of this car is four-cylinder, 20,000 bucks and low-volume.

How would a GXP version of the Solstice be configured, with a supercharger?

Probably not. If wanted to do something we probably would look more globally on how we want to charge the engine. We could use a turbocharger.

What else is the Performance Division working on?

We are actually doing some things for mainline vehicles, such as uplevel engines and with packaging and execution, things we have not been asked to do in the past. I’m launching the Cadillac XLR-V and STS-V, and Chevrolet Trailblazer SS right now. We are spending a lot of time on those launches making sure those cars are right.

Beyond the engines in the XLR-V and STS-V, will the performance division get any engines out of the new Performance Build Center, where engines are made by hand?

Oh yeah, I think so.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:29 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Car News briefs: Camaro concept coming for Detroit; - - SOurce: Autoweek

Camaro coming

Dodge won’t get all the muscle car buzz with its Challenger concept at the Detroit auto show this January. Word is General Motors will show a Camaro concept on a stretched Kappa (Solstice, Sky) chassis. The car is set for production as a 2009 model, sources say.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:37 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
Old 11-22-2005, 12:43 PM
Safety Car

Its a shame these cars are so far off.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:30 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by heyitsme
Its a shame these cars are so far off.
Yeap. And a 2009 debut means that the green lights was officially given during the past few weeks or months (for the production model).
Old 11-22-2005, 04:00 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

2009?!?!?
Old 11-22-2005, 06:53 PM
Safety Car

Sounds good. I knew the Kappa was flexible. It's about time they utilize it more!!! ... been saying that for a while now. I'd always hoped that GM would create a small and midsize sports sedan that handled well and was RWD. That'd be perfect for Pontiac, IMO (along with a larger Zeta Sedan and GTO). There's your RWD Pontiac lineup, with costs spread around to keep prices right.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:39 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
With the dire financial situation at GM I wouldn't believe any future promises until I see the car at a dealer lot.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:39 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

2009.... goddamn, who knows what the market will be then. All I know is muscle cars are in right now....atleast get it out in 2 years. Not 4. That is insane. No wonder they always miss the boat. Unless, they know something I don't :paranoid:
Old 12-06-2005, 11:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,632 Likes on 13,881 Posts
Pics...?

Old 12-06-2005, 11:59 PM
Suzuka Master

do I see an independent rear suspension on that Camaro?
Old 12-07-2005, 07:47 AM
Chloe @ 17mo

What is up with that front fascia?
Old 12-07-2005, 09:10 AM
Safety Car

I like it. It looks like it'd eat the Mustang and Charger for lunch.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:25 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Man, I like that!
Old 12-07-2005, 09:56 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,408 Likes on 3,020 Posts

Ford - Mustang = score
Dodge - Charger = score
GTO = gay
Old 12-07-2005, 10:01 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
GTO = gay

WTF? Why does everyone hate on the GTO? It's the most well built car I have ever owned. It puts my CL-S to shame. I won't even get into how much more comfortable it is and the 400 hp.

Don't knock it till you drive it cuz I'm sure you'd trade your shitty 97 black CL in a heartbeat.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:02 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
Originally Posted by AsianRage
What is up with that front fascia?
It's just a test model. They probably put the top two styling cue choices on either side so that you can stand on either side and see which one looks better.

Also notice the stands under the chassis next to the rear wheels. Obviously this is just a mockup that can't stand up on its own.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:11 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
I was thinking yesterday about the following:

I think that the savior of exciting cars in the USA will be the Chinese market!

The above sounds crazy but here is what I think will happen 10-15 years from now:

In brief, the demand in China will be so large where GM engineers and vechicle planners, will be able to justify the creation of XYZ platform which will base, among other high volume vehicles, low volume vehicles, like coupe variants.

A good example is the Zeta platform. If GM could have found another 250,000 vehicles to build on that platform and sell somewhere, our Camaro and Velite and who knows what else, could have been reality.

That's assuming the world has enough oil to satisfy both a much higher Chinese consumption AND a growing US consumption, for a few decades...
Old 12-07-2005, 10:19 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

While I like the throw-back designs....like the Mustang, Charger, and the Camaro renderings.....but when are the big three going to come out with new original designs for these cars....instead of designing around past designs????
Old 12-07-2005, 01:06 PM
Suzuka Master

By 2009 these designs will have been inspired by a 40 year old design. Is it that hard to come up with a fresh new attractive design?
Old 12-07-2005, 01:36 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

Originally Posted by Ashburner
WTF? Why does everyone hate on the GTO? It's the most well built car I have ever owned. It puts my CL-S to shame. I won't even get into how much more comfortable it is and the 400 hp.

Don't knock it till you drive it cuz I'm sure you'd trade your shitty 97 black CL in a heartbeat.

damn....count to 10!!! Hahahha!! I love the GTO but that gront pontiac fascia is ugh-ly. I still want one, though

Quick Reply: Chevrolet: Camaro News