Chery Cars News **USA Deal Postponed (page 3)**

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 07:03 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Chery Cars News **Honda dealer in New Jersey signed to sell Chinese cars (p3)**

http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/index.p...010405d4_china

Chery Automotive (be patient the site takes awhile to load, BR VERY PATIENT)
http://www.saic-chery.com/english.jsp

Main page takes awhile to load but (3-4minutes later) when it comes up you can see the cars.

I was browsing through http://news.google.com and read this article a few days ago. Did a quick search and noticed no-one had discussed it.

Dunno how/if/when it'll happen. But it's interesting to read about. guess they'll be the new Kia/Hyundai...
Old 01-04-2005, 07:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Yugo importer to bring in cars

Thats a great way to start of you business in America
Old 01-04-2005, 07:10 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by mclarenf3387
Yugo importer to bring in cars

Thats a great way to start of you business in America

They are just bringing them in. Chery automotive is building them. Still 2 years away, but at the claimed 30% lower prices than competing models it should be interesting to see what they deliver, and how they will support it. The cars will come with 10yr, 100k miles warranty...

I'm guessing a new car /w 10yr 100k mile warranty for $4-6k...

anyway, anyone have any feedback that actually read the article completely?
Old 01-04-2005, 07:12 PM
Suzuka Master

As long as people don't associate the two I guess they'll be fine.

And I read the article, it sounds exactly like you said, a chinese version of a Kia or Hynduia. Nothing monumental, but I'll be curious to see where their prices come in at. 4-6k I think is a bit wishfull.

And the exterior of that car screams econo-box. The interior looked decent though. But the current designs coming out of Kia and Hynduai are a lot more appealing than that.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:16 PM
Moderator Alumnus

As long as people don't associate the two I guess they'll be fine. But I mean, where the hell do you find a yugo importer? Those things were long gone before I was born and the ones that made it here were junk.
ya no clue on what they are going to do for dealers. But the 1st time yugo lauched you couldn't get your hands on them because they sold out (from all 80-90 dealers)

The ideaology is to make a car that everyone can afford. $4-6k for a car is cheap /w a 10year 100k mile warranty. Nah, their cars will fall into that range. They aren't luxo boxes... maybe they'll have a $10k model but that'll be near top of the line.

Their goal is 30% less than the competitors...
Old 01-04-2005, 07:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Their best bet and most likely scenario would be to team up with someone cause on 4-6k a car, it would take A LOT of cars to start to justify the cost of a new building.

Maybe team up with Ford It looks like those old Ford Cosworths, just a 4 door version, plus its got a Ford engine in it so the techs may have some training on the motor at least.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:26 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Their best bet and most likely scenario would be to team up with someone cause on 4-6k a car, it would take A LOT of cars to start to justify the cost of a new building.

Maybe team up with Ford It looks like those old Ford Cosworths, just a 4 door version, plus its got a Ford engine in it so the techs may have some training on the motor at least.

Huh, ya you might be on to something. Guess we'll find out in 07...

Don't forget production costs in China are A LOT lower than in the US, so they can still make a good profit magrin from a lower priced vehicle. Saying it isn't a big POS, and costs them a ton supporting it...
Old 01-04-2005, 07:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
The Yugo was probably what Bricklin is most known for, but he's my type of guy. He's a car guy who's willing to take chances. The major car companies don't like competition, so it doesn't suprise me that this guy isn't getting much press. It will be interesting to see how this deal pans out (hopefully not like Delorean).

I'm a fan of AMC's and early Subaru's (microcars in general) so the Bricklin name is one I'm familiar with. I think they made about 3000 Bricklin's that used the AMC 360 V8...

The guy was also reasonsible for bringing Subaru over to america...

I'd love to get my hands on an old Subara 360 van

Hmmm... I'm getting a "cannot connect to site" error when trying to hit up the chery site... Looks like the big 3 have started already
Old 01-04-2005, 07:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by SiGGy
Huh, ya you might be on to something. Guess we'll find out in 07...
I'm not as much of an idiot as I seem to be sometimes
Old 01-04-2005, 07:31 PM
Senior Moderator

The ideaology is to make a car that everyone can afford. $4-6k for a car is cheap /w a 10year 100k mile warranty.
That's how Volkswagen (the peoples car) started...
Old 01-04-2005, 07:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by GreenMonster
Hmmm... I'm getting a "cannot connect to site" error when trying to hit up the chery site... Looks like the big 3 have started already
It's loading now... The cars don't look that bad, but I do see obvious styling cues stolen from other cars...
Old 01-04-2005, 07:40 PM
Suzuka Master

That's how Volkswagen (the peoples car) started...
Yeah, but they also had the government support, the country just came out of a deppression so there was no real middle class(captured market), no real strong competition, oh and did I mention those crazy Germans with machine guns supporting them?
Old 01-04-2005, 07:57 PM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think they will be 4-6k if they are bringing over a starting lineup of 5 models, sounds like they will be playing Hyundais game and its going to take a while for them to get established unless the chinese built some high quality cars.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:00 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts

I'd love to get my hands on an old Subara 360 van

Whoa that's cool, I'd like one too.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:01 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Yeah, but they also had the government support, the country just came out of a deppression so there was no real middle class(captured market), no real strong competition, oh and did I mention those crazy Germans with machine guns supporting them?

Actually it was Hitler who asked for the "people's car" to be produced. Ferdinand Porsche ran with the ball and started VW amongst many other things. (so VW is a spinoff of porsche)

There was other cars produced that were contenders to be the "people car". But they all failed... have to do a search on it to find them.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:16 PM
Senior Moderator

The manufactor is state-owned (gov't). Does China have a middle class ?? Those Chinese Commies are pretty tough too
Old 01-04-2005, 08:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Actually it was Hitler who asked for the "people's car" to be produced. Ferdinand Porsche ran with the ball and started VW amongst many other things. (so VW is a spinoff of porsche)

There was other cars produced that were contenders to be the "people car". But they all failed... have to do a search on it to find them.
I knew Ferdinand started it and Hitler wanted a peoples car(the beetle), but didn't he have a hand in making sure it succeded? I thought he helped them, or did he actually leave the car market alone and Ferdinand just came out on top? I always thought Hitler made sure that VW would succed but I could be wrong.

The manufactor is state-owned (gov't). Does China have a middle class ?? Those Chinese Commies are pretty tough too
Yeah, but it doesn't garuntee success in the U.S.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:44 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Entering the North American market with a cheap piece of shit product is the biggest mistake any manufacturer can ever make. It will take decades to correct the error if even one wanted to stick around trying to change the market's perception. Hyundai is a recent example. They are still trying to overcome the dark past.

The NA market is the most competitive on the planet, by far. By very far. So one has to have great product, great service post-sale and great prices. Just low price wont cut it.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:45 PM
Moderator Alumnus

No. There is no middle class in China.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:01 PM
Kabachitare!

Dude, China has had a middle class for years.

Chinese identify more with Gucci than Mao

The Chinese Academy of Social Sciences (CASS) has released reports that suggest China's middle class accounted for roughly 20% of the country's 1.3 billion population in 2003, estimated at between 200 million and 300 million. Based on an annual growth of 1 percentage point, the "middle class" (according to the academy's standard, this constitutes families with assets valued at US$18,137-$36,275) is expected to make up almost 40% of the total population in 2020, according to the academy report (not yet available in English online).

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/China/FL16Ad01.html
Old 01-04-2005, 10:09 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

I like the Chery logo, an amusing mix of Acura and (more)Toyota.
Old 01-04-2005, 10:15 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by AsianRage
I like the Chery logo, an amusing mix of Acura and (more)Toyota.
Actually, it looks like a rip off of the Infiniti logo.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Originally Posted by kansaiwalker1
Dude, China has had a middle class for years.

Chinese identify more with Gucci than Mao

The Chinese Academy of Social Sciences (CASS) has released reports that suggest China's middle class accounted for roughly 20% of the country's 1.3 billion population in 2003, estimated at between 200 million and 300 million. Based on an annual growth of 1 percentage point, the "middle class" (according to the academy's standard, this constitutes families with assets valued at US$18,137-$36,275) is expected to make up almost 40% of the total population in 2020, according to the academy report (not yet available in English online).

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/China/FL16Ad01.html
Middle class in China isnt what it is in the US. But, I wont jack the thread into an R&P discussion.

I just hope Chinese automakers are familiar with and employ the quality control methods used Japanese and Korean automakers.....cause it aint happening much with most other Chinese products.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:47 AM
Kabachitare!

Remember that the cost of living is much lower in China so that even with a lower income than their US counterparts a middle class Chinese family can live quite comfortably.

But I am certianly not saying the Chinese middle class equals the US middle class in terms of assets, income, freedom, etc. Now back to our cars
Old 01-05-2005, 09:55 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by gavriil
Entering the North American market with a cheap piece of shit product is the biggest mistake any manufacturer can ever make. It will take decades to correct the error if even one wanted to stick around trying to change the market's perception. Hyundai is a recent example. They are still trying to overcome the dark past.
Ya, Hyundai has really been trying to get their image back up...
Old 01-05-2005, 10:03 AM
Homeless

^true...you still hear people say...'it's a hyundai'...
Old 01-05-2005, 10:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by chef chris
^true...you still hear people say...'it's a hyundai'...
...which is pretty unfair. Hyundai really does make a decent car for the money. Really only their first generation cars were VERY troublesome. The current models are vastly better in quality WITH a GREAT warranty to boot.

If the Sonata had some decent performance (acceleration and handling), I would have easily purchased it over my Maxima (although it doesnt look like much).
Old 01-05-2005, 11:02 AM
Homeless

Originally Posted by F23A4
If the Sonata had some decent performance (acceleration and handling), I would have easily purchased it over my Maxima (although it doesnt look like much).
...you know your Max is a much better car...looks & performance && it's much higher quality all around...besides, who needs a ten year warranty when people only keep cars an average of 3 yrs anyhoo.

Please, pretty-please...don't compare the Max to a Sonata As a former maxima owner and fan of nissan in general
Old 01-05-2005, 11:31 AM
Senior Moderator

...you know your Max is a much better car...looks & performance && it's much higher quality all around...besides, who needs a ten year warranty when people only keep cars an average of 3 yrs anyhoo.

Please, pretty-please...don't compare the Max to a Sonata As a former maxima owner and fan of nissan in general
As I'm not rolling in dough, I was working under the assumption of the Sonata being at it's current MSRP (which probably isnt a reasonable assumption). I like Nissan also as IMO it's the only Japanese lineup that has some character with each model: whether it's the Spec V OR the G35C. (I have an 02 Maxima and an 00 Quest, so you see what I tend to buy.)

As for quality, we're talking Nissan NOT Infiniti. ( Link )
Old 01-05-2005, 11:45 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by gavriil
Entering the North American market with a cheap piece of shit product is the biggest mistake any manufacturer can ever make.
The car might not be as “cheap” as the price suggests. It might compare to others costing 8-10K.
China has unbelievably low production costs. They’re even making India look expensive right now.

A Chinese government owned competitor recently outbid our company for a 200+ Million dollar job for a cement plant system in Saudi Arabia.
They undercut our offer by over FORTY PERCENT.
That’s nearly 35% under what it would even cost us to build it with zero profit.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:32 PM
Homeless

As for quality, we're talking Nissan NOT Infiniti. ( Link )
I wonder if that reflects the new models being built in the US...

Old 01-05-2005, 09:20 PM
Senior Moderator

I always thought Hitler made sure that VW would succed but I could be wrong.
Actually, British soldiers after the war played a big part in making sure that VW made it thru a rough time in post WWII Germany. Ahh... here ya go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VW_Beetle

"The Volkswagen company owes its postwar existence largely to one man, British army officer Major Ivan Hirst (1916–2000). Post-war, he was ordered to take control of the heavily bombed factory, which the Americans had captured. He persuaded the British military to order 20,000 of the cars, and by 1946 the factory was producing 1,000 cars a month. The car and its town changed their Nazi-era names, to Volkswagen (people's car) and Wolfsburg. The first 1,785 Beetles were made in a factory near Wolfsburg in 1945."

The book Small Wonder does an excellent job of telling the VW story... Got my copy years ago (I own a 79 VW bus):

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...229342-2101600
Old 01-05-2005, 09:36 PM
Senior Moderator

...which is pretty unfair. Hyundai really does make a decent car for the money. Really only their first generation cars were VERY troublesome. The current models are vastly better in quality WITH a GREAT warranty to boot.
I worked in my uncles auto parts store back in the 80's when hyundai's first cars came out (The Excel came out in 86 in the US IIRC). I was amazed at the requests for parts for realitively new hyundais...

I'm one of those people who say... BUT it's a hyundai....

The Chinese company had better have there quality control act together, or they'll end up with a stigma like hyundai.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:07 AM
Homeless

The Chinese company had better have there quality control act together, or they'll end up with a stigma like hyundai.
to infiniti.................................
Old 01-06-2005, 08:24 AM
Senior Moderator

I wonder if that reflects the new models being built in the US...

No comment.

I'll just say that I'm glad my 02 Maxima's 100% Made in Japan, domo arigato gozaimas.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:54 AM
Work safe avatar bish :D

i want a chinese car ..... and then..... .... and then..... .... and then..... .... and then..... .... and then..... .... and then..... .... and then..... .... and then..... .... and then..... .... and then..... .... and then..... .... and then..... .... and then.....
Old 01-06-2005, 11:05 AM
Homeless

I'll just say that I'm glad my 02 Maxima's 100% Made in Japan, domo arigato gozaimas.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:26 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Gagnon Joins Bricklin's Chinese Car Gambit - - By Jim Burt - - Source: The Car Connection

Malcolm Bricklin on Wednesday hired former Mitsubishi North America CEO Pierre Gagnon as president of distribution for his company, Visionary Vehicles LLC, which intends to sell Chinese-built cars in the U.S. starting as early as 2007 if he can line up dealers.

Bricklin, best known as one of the founders of Subaru of America, as well as Yugo America, is paving the way for distribution of Chery automobiles built by the Chinese company of the same name.

Gagnon, 49, led Mitsubishi Motors through rapid growth between 2000 and 2003, but was forced to resign following steep financial losses attributed to over-aggressive incentives that attracted a legion of poor-credit borrowers who defaulted on loans.

Visionary, which will headquarter in Southern California, is trying to get 250 dealers to invest $15 million per outlet. Bricklin, though, has a credibility hill to climb. Yugo America is recalled as something of a joke in the auto industry. And he revved up interest three years ago to reintroduce Yugo from a Serbian manufacturer - a plan that never came to fruition.

Mitsubishi is still reeling from moves Gagnon and former ad director Greg O'Neill made while running that company, and Gagnon's reputation took a big hit in the aftermath of his ouster and the huge losses. - Jim Burt

Old 03-10-2005, 01:28 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Nice move...

Gotta be kidding me...
Old 05-06-2005, 12:13 PM
Moderator Alumnus

GM to Bricklin: Don't use Chery name in U.S. - - By Gail Kachadourian - - Source: Automotive News

DETROIT -- General Motors' lawyers have sent Visionary Vehicles LLC founder Malcolm Bricklin a letter advising him not to go further in securing a trademark for the Chery brand name in the U.S. market.

Bricklin plans to sell vehicles built by China's Chery Automobile Co. in the United States starting in 2007.

GM "said Chery sounds too much like Chevy," Bricklin says. "I don't think so. … They don't want Chinese cars coming into the U.S."

Bricklin told Automotive News on Friday that he has not yet decided if he will use the Chery name in the United States.

During his Chicago auto show press conference last February, Bricklin held up a small, die-cast model of the Chery QQ subcompact and said he would tell GM CEO Rick Wagoner that the miniature would be the "only Chery" that would be imported into the United States.

Separate from its issue with Bricklin, GM is suing Chery in China, alleging that the QQ is a rip-off of the design of the Daewoo Matiz, made and sold in China as the Chevrolet Spark.

Quick Reply: Chery Cars News **USA Deal Postponed (page 3)**