Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2003, 11:30 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cadillac: XT5 News

The Daily Auto Insider
Thursday, May 15, 2003
May 2003

Cadillac says the 2004 SRX crossover sport-utility vehicle will carry a starting price of $37,995 (excluding destination freight charge of $695). The SRX is scheduled to hit dealerships early this fall.

Cadillac says the SRX V-6's price includes standard equipment such as a 3.6L V-6 VVT engine with 260 horsepower, 5-speed automatic with Driver Shift Control, RWD, StabiliTrak, speed-sensitive variable effort steering, four-channel ABS with Panic Brake Assist and traction control, power adjustable second row, side curtain airbags, theater seating, leather seating surfaces and one year of OnStar Directions & Connections Service.

A V-8 model of the SRX will have a starting price of $46,300 (not including DFC of $695). The V-8 model includes all the standard equipment offered on the V-6 model, plus the next-generation Northstar V-8 VVT engine with 320 hp; 18-inch wheels, reconfigurable storage, universal garage door opener, 6 CD changer, power passenger seat, wood trim, heated seats and power adjust pedals.

Other optional features available on the V-6 and V-8 models include AWD, power third row seat, Ultra View or Ultra View Plus sunroof, rear seat entertainment, DVD navigation, Magnetic Ride Control, XM Satellite Radio, a Bose sound system with six-CD in-dash changer.

Old 05-15-2003, 11:38 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Worth noting that:

The SRX will join the Cadillac CTS sport sedan and the 400-hp CTSv at the Lansing Grand River assembly plant; the plant and the CTS scored the best GM launch in history as the J.D. Power Initial Quality Survey reported just 88 problems per 100 vehicles. Last year GM sold 37,896 CTSs and plans to boost that number to 40,000 or perhaps 45,000 units for 2003.
Old 05-15-2003, 11:39 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Also worth noting:

Buyers interested in the current generation of Cadillac’s STS shouldn’t look forward to a 2004 model. Cadillac executives at the launch of the brand’s SRX crossover and XLR roadster report that the STS will finish its production run as a front-drive vehicle as a 2003 model. The 2004 model will be skipped and a new 2005 rear-drive replacement for the STS, based on GM’s new Sigma architecture, will be unveiled late in 2004. The current STS, selling at the rate of about 20,000 units a year, is built at GM’s Hamtramck plant; its successor will be assembled alongside the SRX and CTS at the Lansing Grand River assembly plant.
Old 05-16-2003, 06:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow. The same dash as the CTS. Does the RX 330 have the same dash of the ES 300? Does the MDX have the same dash as the Honda Pilot? Does the FX 35/45 have the same dash as the G35 (well some parts)? Hell, even the Lincoln Aviator has a different dash than the Explorer.

THe 35-45k SUV market is getting saturated. Incredible how most all these vehicles did not exist 5 years ago.
Old 05-17-2003, 03:41 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
why is it called a crossover? no way is it sport-like in anyway...
Old 05-17-2003, 04:27 PM
Safety Car

Wow. The same ...
thats kinda how i felt after seeing that honda copied the tsx design for the next gen tl.

wagon crossed suv.
Old 05-17-2003, 05:40 PM
I Feel Too Old Here

front looks like an off roading CTS and the overall design looks like another version of the Ass-tek.
Old 05-18-2003, 11:03 AM
Banned

AZTEK!!!! I HAVE SAID IT ALL ALONG.

Old 06-06-2003, 09:07 PM
Instructor

Ill let you all know how it is.....parents do to get one in september/november....dont hate me thier choice....actually ive grown to like the styling being that 2 of r nieghbors have a CTS i think it looks good alot better then a buick rondevouz "ultra" my mom wanted
Old 06-06-2003, 10:48 PM
Banned

I was looking at it again, and i kinda like it now. Especially since they did the smart thing and ditched the black body cladding.
Old 07-30-2004, 02:56 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Cadillac - SRX - - By Richard Fleury - - Source: Top Gear Mag.

Mention Cadillac over here and people think of two cars. One is a pink 1950s gin palace belonging to a Mr E. Presley, the other is a sombre presidential limo registered to a Mr G.W. Bush.

This is the sort of factoid the focus groups turned up when the all-American marque decided to relaunch in Europe. Yessirree, that's right, Cadillac's coming back. You may recall General Motors' last clumsy attempt to introduce Cadillac to Europe five years ago; a half-baked effort; an aw-hell-take-it-or-leave-it venture which saw Caddy sedans languishing in dusty corners of Vauxhall dealerships.

But this time they're taking the whole business a bit more seriously; hence the focus groups. And alongside the type of luxury saloons normally associated with the Cadillac name, they are offering what, for them, represents a whole new kind of car; designed, they say, with Europe in mind.

The SRX is Cadillac's first ever CUV. Confused? Please allow me to elucidate. CUV is a term invented by 'blue-sky thinking' Automotive Research and Sales Executives in Suits (ARSES). It means Crossover Utility Vehicle or 'Crossover' for short.

A Crossover is a vehicle that straddles two normally distinct automotive categories; in this case the car and the sport utility vehicle or SUV. Which, according to ARSE-speak, makes it what's known as a 'segment buster'.

They've taken some stick for the habit over the years but I rather like the way Americans invent important-sounding new terms. Take President Bush. The man may have the political instincts - and indeed the grimacing visage - of a traumatized lab chimp but George Dubya is a towering colossus of lexical innovation. This is the man who brought us 'tacular' weapons (like tactical weapons, only more spectacular) and once bestowed the word 'tariffs' with the canine synonym 'terriers'. In fact it's arguable that by manglifying English in this manner, he has made a staggering contributization to its ongoing evolvement.

A new vocabulary comes in handy when you're reinventing yourself. Which is exactly what the Cadillac is currently doing. Once the American Rolls-Royce, Cadillac has been through tough times. By which I mean it has made some truly crap cars, rubbishing its own reputation in the name of cost-cutting. Now on the comeback trail, the company is - as George W might say - repositionizing in the hope of competifying with European manufacturers. For example, not so long ago the Caddy customer was a retired Jeb Bush voter whose other car was a golf buggy. Nowadays the company's Baby Boomer marketeers are wont to casually drop the word 'Bling' into conversation. Not without justification. Based on the Vizon concept of 2001, the SRX is the blingiest thing to happen to Cadillac for some time. The crisp styling has more razor creases than a prosperous pimp's Sunday Best and - aided by the stacked tail-lights and V-shaped grille - really does turn heads.

Interestingly in Prague, where Cadillac held the SRX's launch, it was primarily hip young things doing the lion's share of gawping. Of course it's possible that the Czech for 'Gosh, what a ludicrous, Yankee pimpwagon, I'd rather have a Skoda' was going through their minds, but judging from the look on their faces, I doubt it.

The SRX is pitched against some stiff and well-established competition, notably BMW's X5 and the refined Lexus RX300. So how does it measure up? Pretty well, as it goes. The 325hp 4.6 litre VVT Northstar engine takes the V8 version from 0-60mph in seven and a half seconds. Admittedly it probably drains a couple of Iraqi oilfields every time it does so but this is a heavy car, weighing in at more than two tonnes. It's long too, in true Caddy style; almost five metres from bumper to bumper. If you're even vaguely curious about consumption, then this isn't the vehicle for you; 10mpg is par for the course. The 3.6 litre, 258bhp V6 version - the average American SUV owner's idea of a green vehicle - only empties one and a half oilfields en route to 60mph. And no, a diesel isn't available.

Back in the US of A, the SRX comes in both four- and rear-wheel drive forms. But only the four wheel drive is headed for Cadillac's newly-recruited European dealer network. Both V6 and V8 models have a rather smooth five-speed 'Hydra-Matic' transmission, which, according to Cadillac, is 'assembled in Strasburg, France,' demonstrating a grasp of foreign affairs equal to that of George W's.

The whole point of a crossover is that it should have the ride and handling of a proper road car and while Caddies are famous for their comfy ride, handling is traditionally wobbly. But hey, bust my segment if the SRX doesn't change direction with poise and very little body roll. Its low centre of gravity helps - the SRX rides half an inch lower than BMW's X5 - as does the Magnetic Ride Control damping system.

Cadillac has produced some nasty interiors since the marque began its long decline in the 1970s but again, the SRX shows how far the company has gone towards rebuilding its image. The cabin is as quiet as a Lexus and as well put together as a BMW... well, some recent BMWs anyway. The SRX seats seven, thanks to a folding third row of seats which lowers electronically at the touch of a button. A great idea, even though they are only big enough for two children and lack side airbags. Cadillac only expects to sell 40-100 SRXs here in the next year; all left hookers. If GM decides to build a right hand drive version that could rise to 1,000, more if they offer a diesel engine. In the UK, Cadillac dealerships will be kept independent of existing Vauxhall dealers, with each major city playing host to a 'Cadillac Experience Centre'. That's a car dealership to you and me.

Model: Cadillac SRX 4.6 V8 4x4

Rating: 11 of out 20

We say: Well equipped and well finished SUV. But RHD and a diesel would improve the chances of success

Price: Ł41,000

On your drive for: Ł1,169pcm (est)

Performance: 0-62mph in 7.4 secs, 155mph max speed, 10.0mpg

Tech: 4.6-litre V8, 4WD, 325bhp, 315lb ft, CO2 n/a, 2,250kg

Old 07-30-2004, 02:59 PM
Moderator Alumnus

You know the more time goes by, the more I am losing respect for Europe. And to think that I am born and raised there. Pathetic!

The G.W. Bush references and the Iraqi oilfields that the V8 and V6 in the Caddy burn are more pathetic than what Teresa Kerry tried to pull with the "I never said unAmerican" comment.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:00 PM
hail to the victors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
they really really hate G.W bush.
Old 07-31-2004, 12:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Really stupid article. It's a car review, not a political analysis
Old 08-02-2004, 03:17 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I didn't find it all that bad...its british humor, nothing more. Plus its Top Gear, so the humor is part of their appeal...no need to take the political references so seriously...

And of course they won't jump on the car and love it right away...shit if Mercedes brought the A-class over here I'd piss myself laughing at it, and I'd expect all american mags to do so also
Old 08-02-2004, 03:22 PM

Yeah Top Gear is very humorous and quite honest with their reviews. I love them. The SRX is a miss here so far, so 40-100 seems very reasonable to sell there.
Old 08-03-2004, 12:08 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Yeah Top Gear is very humorous and quite honest with their reviews. I love them. The SRX is a miss here so far, so 40-100 seems very reasonable to sell there.
The SRX is no miss here so far. Watch for the annual numbers this and next year.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:31 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Next Gen. Cadillac SRX News **Delayed due to GM's Financial Problems (page 1)**

GM to delay launch of next-gen Cadillac SRX; financial problems cited as main factor - - By JASON STEIN | Automotive News - - Source: Autoweek

DETROIT -- General Motors has postponed the launch of the next-generation Cadillac SRX sport wagon because of the company's financial problems.

In a memo last month, GM Vice Chairman Robert Lutz told vehicle line executives the project had been delayed. The re-engineered SRX was scheduled to debut in 2008.

Sources say GM also killed plans for an SRX-V performance version. That decision was made late last year.

Lutz's memo was the same one in which he said that GM's rear-wheel-drive Zeta architecture had been canceled.

The company downplayed the delay of the SRX.

"It is definitely not a product cancellation," GM spokesman Pat Morrissey said.

He said the sport wagon will be pushed back only "a few months."

An interior freshening of the SRX planned for the 2007 model year is scheduled to proceed as planned, Morrissey said.

In his mid-March memo, Lutz told employees: "As part of our efforts to address the current business situation we are facing today, we have had to make some difficult product portfolio decisions."

In the same memo, Lutz said GM had canceled a midcycle face-lift of the Hummer H2 and right-hand-drive versions of the mid-sized GMT 361/371 SUVs - the Buick Rainier, Chevrolet TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy and Saab 9-7X.

Lutz said that the number of concept and show vehicles will be reduced, and that projects will be delayed at GM's Specialty Vehicle Activity and High Performance Vehicle operations.

The high-performance operation helped create GM's supercharged engines as well as develop Cadillac's V-Series vehicles and Saturn's Red Line performance versions.

Last month GM said it was canceling all vehicles planned off the Zeta architecture. But Lutz told employees GM was not abandoning rwd vehicles.

"We will continue to evaluate our future rwd plans," he said.

He added: "These cancellations and delays allow us to realign resources to accelerate some of our key strategic high-volume product launches."
Old 04-04-2005, 01:33 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Oh boy... Not good...
Old 04-04-2005, 01:48 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Might also have to do with the fact that the SRX hasn't exactly sold like hotcakes despite fairly good press.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:28 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Might also have to do with the fact that the SRX hasn't exactly sold like hotcakes despite fairly good press.
I am not sure about that.

They had issues in the beginning because of the V8-only available at first. But overall I think the SRX is doing fine and will probably continue to do well.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:33 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by gavriil
I am not sure about that.

They had issues in the beginning because of the V8-only available at first. But overall I think the SRX is doing fine and will probably continue to do well.
Hmm...usually though, when a car sells well, I see them all over the place. At this point, I've seen more of the new STS than I have of the SRX and that's accounting for a few different states and a lot of time in the car. Maybe just the people around these parts don't like the SRX.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:51 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by gavriil
Oh boy... Not good...
... not good at all. This is a telling sign of just how cash strapped GM really is. As of late, Caddy's the only divison that can be described as being on a roll. Delaying the next gen (re-engineered) SRX set to come out in 2008, let alone the V-Series to the model, is very bad news.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:09 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I am not very sad about the cancelation of the SRXV. But to hear that other specialty vehicle departments will be affected...that's worrisome.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:31 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
When does this GM bad news stop?
Old 04-05-2005, 09:01 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
When does this GM bad news stop?
When GM goes out of business...
Old 04-05-2005, 08:48 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts
Bad financial news as in the $2 billion they payed Fiat to get out of a contract with them. $2 billion is a lot of development money.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:14 AM
Moderator Alumnus

IL Insider: Cadillac Skips Plans for V-Series Utes - - Source: Edmunds.com

DETROIT — Cadillac is looking at a variety of upgrades and enhancements for its family of luxury utility vehicles, including the recently redesigned Escalade, but there are no plans to offer the sort of performance modifications it now provides as part of its V-Series.

The first Caddy ute to get a modest makeover is the SRX, which shares its underpinnings with the STS and CTS sedans. As part of a midcycle freshening for model-year 2007, Cadillac will offer a new SRX Sport kit in August that is primarily an appearance package, with unique wheels and tires, grille, rocker panels, and front and rear fascia. With 18-inch wheels and tires, the SRX Sport package will cost $2,500; with 20-inch wheels and tires, the package will be $3,500, Cadillac executives told IL.

The brand will also do a similar appearance package for its long-wheelbase Escalade ESV in model year 2008 or 2008. Called ESV Platinum, the package will borrow styling cues from the V-Series cars, with a leather-wrapped console and pillars, heated and cooled cupholders and a suede headliner. The Escalade ESV Platinum edition will retail for upward of $70,000, according to Cadillac executives.

Cadillac also is considering a special black chrome package on the standard Escalade for '08 or '09 but probably will make it available only on vehicles with black exterior paint.

Sadly, there are no immediate plans to offer an SRX-V or a V-Series variant of the Escalade, executives said.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:28 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I am not sure if this is the interior of the next SRX or the current gen. for 07.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:33 PM
Safety Car

^ It looks really really good.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:10 PM
Safety Car

Looks like a ripoff of the BTS concept, which really wasn't something to base off imo when it comes to luxury.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:15 PM
Suzuka Master

looks pretty good. Big improvement over the current model. Hopefully the material quality is improved as well
Old 06-15-2006, 09:34 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
not bad
Old 06-16-2006, 12:59 AM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
wow, that was unexpected
Old 07-12-2006, 06:32 PM
Safety Car

2007 SRX

Old 07-12-2006, 09:55 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
There's just the look of crookedness that makes the interior seem not very well put together...

Old 07-13-2006, 12:47 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Cadillac ups SRX interior for '07 -- Automotive News / July 13, 2006 - 6:00 am - - Source: Autonews.com

Cadillac’s 2007 SRX, launching next month, features an upgraded interior hand-crafted in part through Cadillac’s ‘cut-and-sew’ interior process.

Coverings for components including the instrument panel, center console and door trim are cut, sewn and wrapped mostly by hand, according to Cadillac.

The process, also applied to Cadillac’s STS-V and XLR-V models, enables details such as French stitching and reduces of gaps and seams.

SRX also features multiple other interior materials upgrades, new flush mounted switches and controls and added storage bins. Entertainment options such as a Bose 5.1 surround sound system, DVD navigation and rear entertainment and auxiliary jack for MP3 players are also available.

The 2007 model also adds a six-speed automatic transmission (Northstar V8 models only) and a new Sport model featuring body-colored front and rear fascias and optional 18- or 20-inch wheels.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:01 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Future Products — Cadillac - - Source: Autoweek

SRX: The 2007 SRX has a redesigned interior centered on a new instrument panel. A six-speed automatic is standard.

Insiders say GM has delayed plans to re-engineer and restyle the SRX for the 2008 model year, blaming high gasoline prices and lackluster sales. The SRX may be restyled and re-engineered for the 2011 or 2012 model year; it might be redesigned, using GM's global rwd architecture; or it might be dropped from the line, if sales do not grow and Cadillac buyers shift to the BRX.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:44 PM
Safety Car

If it does make it to another generation, it should grow to include three rows of seats. That'll allow space for the BRX under it, while not stepping on the Escalade's toes.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:30 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
I think Cadillac's problem is that the SRX isn't a real looker like the STS nor does it have the bling factor of the old Escalade nor is it as good looking as the new Escalade. Out of the current cadillac lineup, it's the weakest in terms of design.

Quick Reply: Cadillac: XT5 News